2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,516

@graphicguy said:
    This guy has a little scam business going. No cops were called. I'm uncertain what any rights a tow company has to tow a car without police intervention. RB, do you have any insight?

I'm on the wrong side of the Ohio, but if I were you I'd check with the DA's office. And consult with reputable private counsel of course. My gut reaction is that your best line of attack is the lack of a readily visible "No Parking" sign. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the business that contracts with the towing company is splitting the nightly take.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,207

@roadburner said:

I've noticed the roving tow truck operators are one of Judge Judy's hot buttons. She really checks that they have done everything right or she zings them.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,365

@imidazol97 said:
    I'm not sure I'd let the restaurant off the hook either, no pun intended, because I've been in places where the business puts up signs, "If you parked in such and such, move your car. You may be towed." to warn folks about such scams.

While the restaurant is being nice by putting the sign up I really don't think that they would be liable if you get your car towed simple because you park in the wrong lot. They didn't park your car there nor did they tell you it was OK to park there.

Since we are on the subject there is the town of Naperville, IL a far west burb of Chicago. Its a rather large suburb with a very active downtown area. The main street through the downtown area is two lanes in each direction and they allow parking on the street in the downtown area so it effectively makes the street one lane in each direction for a few blocks. However to accommodate the larger volumes of traffic during rush hour they have no parking there during the morning and afternoon commute times. The signs are very visible and well marked with the times that no parking is permitted.

Well IIRC the no parking for the afternoon rush hour starts at 4:00pm and just before 4:00pm the tow trucks and police start showing up and right at 4:00 on the dot they start tagging and towing.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,958

towing scams are such an epidemic in Philly that there have been news exposes done about it, and I think a reality show. The parking authority is draconian enough that the illegal scam towers (on top of the "official" ones) make people want to avoid the city at all costs.

all the tricks are pulled out. confusing or hidden signs, if not missing, etc. And from some of the undercover looks at it, some of these guys just take cars that are perfectly legal. It really is the wild west, and no government authority is doing anything about them (fear or payoffs, you pick), so they are incredibly brazen, and just dare you to fight. The cops don't care, so it is pay what they ask (cash only of course) or your car is gone.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@snakeweasel said: I don't think that they would be liable if you get your car towed simple because you park in the wrong lot. They didn't park your car there nor did they tell you it was OK to park there.

I based my take on the restaurant by inferring that workers in the restaurant knew about the towing scam. Therefore by lack of action to help provide knowledge to their customers, they have an omission of action they could have taken. I'd be perfectly willing to starting posting comments about the restaurant and that the lots around them are allegedly doing this and the restaurant folks know about it and are passive. I'd let the readers on Yelp decide if they want to fight a parking hassle.

@graphicguy said: After talking to some of the people in the restaurant, I guess there's a tow company who asks business owners if they can put a sign up in their parking lot (hiding it is more descriptive). Then the tow company trolls the lots after hours, knowing when the businesses are closed, no customers are in their lot. BOOM, $108/tow, probably busy from dinner time until the PUB closes.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Lots of hurdles to overcome with hydrogen, yes. Right now we mostly make it from natural gas, so you have dirty energy making clean energy---that's not so good.

If we could use solar, wind or other renewable sources to make hydrogen, that's the ticket.

Certainly, it is no immediate solution for climate change or energy-independence.

But it is still tempting for certain types of light duty commuting. Maybe...I don't know...in fuel cells powering autonomous cars in dense urban grids?

@snakeweasel said:

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,025

Warren Buffett was talking about writing a book called "How To Live on $500,000 a year". He said he thought it would be a best-seller, since some Americans are having a hard time with how to do it

Well, if someone was living on $1million a year it is hard to readjust.

Mrshift: A totally different story. It's like the different between taking away your gourmet coffee or your oxygen supply.

Some people say they couldn't live without their cell phones.

GG: For the entire weekend, fuel ran between $200-$300.

The boating enthuiasts say they used to spend $1000 a day on fuel, but have cut back to $200 a day - fewer hours. Docking fees can be a few $1000 a month.

GG: Cut to the chase, there was a "tow" sign posted in the parking lot.

I saw one of these on Judge Judy. The tow truck guy towed the car away, long before the time was up. The lady could prove she left earlier, she had her parking lot stamp at work stamp thet showed she was back at work long before her time was up. The tow truck company was operating a scam. I'd check the TV stations or newspaper for a consumer reporter. Also, tell the restaurant about it...they should know.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,524

@graphicguy
    If you didn't see any skid marks from your tires going down the street, it was probably towed off the ground.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@imidazol97 said:
    I based my take on the restaurant by inferring that workers in the restaurant knew about the towing scam. Therefore by lack of action to help provide knowledge to their customers, they have an omission of action they could have taken.

The question is does the restaurant or any of their employees have a legal responsibility to inform you of that?

I would be more inclined to go after the owners of the property that didn't have a clearly visible sign warning of possible towing. It not being clearly marked could be points in your favor. However it was private property.

• Options

@snakeweasel said:That car expert isn't Edmunds.

That article, though interesting was written in 2011. The experts did say the new monitoring system is pretty accurate. Funny, Ford and VW onboard calculators gave the mileage as about 20% more than it was - but, they thought that wasn't a big deal. Funny, none misjudged mpg as being worse than it was.

• Options

@snakeweasel said:However hydrogen is not an energy source that's a law of physics that cannot be "solved".

I don't think you can count hydrogen out completely, though it is a fuel more for the distant future. There are other possibilities too, such as nuclear fusion. These will take work and time, but we should have enough oil to last for at least 60 years or so...........

• Options

Saw a friend who bought a 2014 Cadillac XTS a few months ago.
    He noticed the tire gauge showed low pressure.
    He got off the highway and went to a Firestone store.
    He had a hole in the tire which they could plug.
    He noticed there wasn't a spare tire of any kind in his trunk.
    The dealer said the car didn't come with a spare.
    He called GM and they said they don't put spare tires in, to save on weight.
    He said the next time he buys a new Caddie - in 3 years, he will insist they give him a spare tire.
    I looked online and the Caddie website offers a small spare wheel as an option.
    I know they have "On Star", but does it seem logical to buy a new car, a Cadillac at that, and have to pay for a spare tire?

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @driver100 said:
    " but does it seem logical to buy a new car, a Cadillac at that, and have to pay for a spare tire?"

To me, not having a spare tire of some kind in the car is outrageous. A small spare like I have in the Mercedes can't weigh more that 30 lbs. So by reducing the gross weight of the CTS by a measly 30 lbs. they are expecting 20% increases in fuel economy - 10% increases in fuel economy - 5% increase in fuel economy - NO! It might add 1% to fuel economy, if that much.

And this is supposed to be a luxury car? You've got to be kidding!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

My wife hit a big pothole with her Escape and it ripped the inside sidewall, No amount of sealant with a pump is going to fix that.
    AAA put the donut spare on and she was able to get back home. After finishing her shopping trip, of course. :)
    New mounted and balanced tire was $250.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,044

@snakeweasel said:
    Yep starting tomorrow the clock in my car will be right.

My car dealer left a voicemail reminding me that the clocks change and if i had any trouble changing my clock to call or stop by the dealer fir assistance..... I'm not at all joking.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @tjc said:
    "My car dealer left a voicemail reminding me that the clocks change and if i had any trouble changing my clock to call or stop by the dealer fir assistance..... I'm not at all joking"

That's impressive. Great way to keep customers thinking about the advantages of their dealership.

My analog and digital clocks in the Mercedes change to Daylight Savings Time by themselves once the ignition is turned on and you click the answer to the question, "change time to DLS?"

What your dealership did was smart business - you're lucky you are associated with a great business enterprise!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Lots of hurdles to overcome with hydrogen, yes. Right now we mostly make it from natural gas, so you have dirty energy making clean energy---that's not so good.

First of all you don't make hydrogen, you isolate it. The act of isolating the hydrogen takes a lot of energy. Remember hydrogen is not a source of energy but rather a storage medium.

If we could use solar, wind or other renewable sources to make hydrogen, that's the ticket.

We could but it is more efficient to use those sources to directly power what we need powered. An electric car could go 4 times as far than a hydrogen car with the electrical power used to create the hydrogen.

Certainly, it is no immediate solution for climate change or energy-independence.

Its not a solution for energy independence at all as it is not a source of energy. For hydrogen to work you need to create energy from another source first, then you would never get the same amount of energy from the hydrogen as you put into it.

But it is still tempting for certain types of light duty commuting. Maybe...I don't know...in fuel cells powering autonomous cars in dense urban grids?

• Options

@driver100 said:
    I don't think you can count hydrogen out completely, though it is a fuel more for the distant future.

OK I feel like I am repeating myself, hydrogen is not a fuel. Hydrogen is a vehicle for storing energy. Think of it like a battery, while not a fuel it can store energy. We can be powering everything with hydrogen but we would still have to have a energy source that "charges" the hydrogen.

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

OK I feel like I am repeating myself

Yup.

• Options

@abacomike said: So by reducing the gross weight of the CTS by a measly 30 lbs. they are expecting 20% increases in fuel economy

They would be better off giving the new owner a subscription to weight watchers in the hope he could lose 30 pounds. Like you say Mike, what is 30 pounds? What happens if it is a holiday weekend and you can't get a new tire or a tire fixed? What if On Star isn't working because the car's power is out? All because they won't give you a spare tire!

• Options

@snakeweasel said:OK I feel like I am repeating myself, hydrogen is not a fuel. Hydrogen is a vehicle for storing energy.

I am a novice and just trying to understand...BUT....I believe hydrogen IS a fuel and the problem is trying to store it (which is the battery part). In this short article they describe hydrogen "as a fuel".
    How Stuff Works - Hydrogen

Whether it is a fuel or a source for power is kind of a mute point...it could be used one day, there are problems such as storing it, which have to be overcome. We have overcome many other problems though - where there's a will there's a way.

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@driver100 said:

>
    I often wonder if you could run cars and trucks on distilled water, how much you would pay at the pump for it. All the money to distill it, ship and store ln tanks would have to be figured into the price. Then the sales taxes, state taxes and federal taxes would need to be paid. You can buy it now for $1 a gallon in stores but once the demand goes through the roof, I doubt that that would hold. I can see folks building home distillers --- get your kit at your local hardware store or online.

• Options

@driver100 said:

Yeah great idea, drop 50k on a new Caddy and then be told you are fat. Brilliant!

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,941

I was at a wine tasting event yesterday sponsored by Mercedes. They had a SLS AMG GT there and the sticker price was $211,775. :s

On the other end of the spectrum, the CLA 250 is much nicer looking in person.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670

Thanks all for lettimg me vent. Went to the district police station yesterday. Some of you called it. Police are aware of this little "scam" with this particular parking/tow lot scam. This is just one of the lots the tow company operates in. Apparently, they go to these small busiensses and lots around the restaurants in the area. They tell the small business that all they have to do is to let the tow company troll their lots after the business closes.

Tow company tows the cars that are parked there, not noticing the "private parking-tow zone" because they're inconspicuous. Tow company gives the business a kick back of each tow. Easy money.

Have to file in Small Claims Court. Cost to file and at least two trips to court is probably about $200 (would be part of the award along with the tow refund). Tow fee was $108. Probably have a strong case. But, I WAS on private property. Better than 50-50 I win the case and get my money back. Police said they would bet the tow company wouldn't even show up to court, resulting in a default judgement in my favor. But, the hard part is collecting from the tow company.

Talked to the restuarant. They're aware of this operation. They claim they give the surrounding businesses free lunches and dinners to keep the tow scam from happening. Obviously, it doesn't work.

Not sure if it's worth my time. But, the tow company probably is depending on that fact. I'll think on it some more. What's right is right.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,894

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

My guess? Hydrogen power.

I think if they can solve some of the cost problems hydrogen fuel cells are promising.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@graphicguy said:

Cut to the chase, there was a "tow" sign posted in the parking lot. But, it's so inconspicuous as you would have to search hard to find it. After talking to some of the people in the restaurant, I guess there's a tow company who asks business owners if they can put a sign up in their parking lot (hiding it is more descriptive). Then the tow company trolls the lots after hours, knowing when the businesses are closed, no customers are in their lot. BOOM, $108/tow, probably busy from dinner time until the PUB closes. My guess they net about $1,500 a night.

There was a scam like that in local apartment complexes. Tow company was yanking cars for minor offenses like being an inch on the grass or too close to the line with the next slot. One of the TV stations did a consumer alert report and it stopped. Apartment complex was getting a kickback on every tow.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@robr2 said:
    I really think that the new CAFE targets are what will drive us away for reliance on hydrocarbons. Isn't it amazing that when the targets are raised, the industry figures out a way to reach them? EcoBoost has had a profound effect - who would've thunk a 6 cylinder turbo would be the top choice engine in the F150?

Yes, but at what cost? How much does that turbo add to the cost of the truck? Every time you increase the cost how many more people can no longer afford a work truck.

Not saying it's a bad idea to increase economy or reduce pollution but it always has a bigger impact at the edges.

• Options

@graphicguy said:
    Some of you called it.
    Tow company tows the cars that are parked there, not noticing the "private parking-tow zone" because they're inconspicuous. Tow company gives the business a kick back of each tow. Easy money.

I think the local Howard Ain TV team should be involved. They could video the trucks hooking up.

Talked to the restuarant. They're aware of this operation. They claim they give the surrounding businesses free lunches and dinners to keep the tow scam from happening. Obviously, it doesn't work.

The restaurant made it worse. They should just put sunshine on the scam: either put up signs listing the local business lots in which you should not be parking because of the signage trickery OR they should call in the TV investigative reporters. If I lived in the area, a sign saying that Joe's Florist was running the scam for extra money on the side would keep me from recommending or using Joe's Florist to my friends.

I can just see the list on the TV teasers about the 8 businesses, by name, who are helping the tow truck companies in their scam. Image if you owned Keppler's Planetarium Shop and you were listed on channel 5 for 24 hours in the teasers. And then a 2-part report. I suspect Keppler's Planetarium Shop would sever their ties with Green Hornet Towing really fast.

A little sunshine is needed there.

I understand a business not wanting after hours parking but they need signs at the entrance so they can't be missed.

I give the restaurant involved a "D."

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

You've obviously researched the hydrogen subject and hit on the problem many alternative power sources present. One way to look at it is to consider using renewable sources to produce the electricity with which to then produce the hydrogen. One plan involves huge solar farms out in the desert.

The free market will usually tease out the lower cost option. Right now that's gas and oil. Government fiat driven by political agendas usually increases the income of a few elites.

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

Local business Plug Power just announced a contract with Walmart to produce hydrogen fuel cell powered fork lifts. Can be used in closed warehouses because there's noting emitted but water vapor.

Might be a good speculative stock pick. Plug Power went from a few pennies a share to over $8 this week.

• Options

Towing Scam

In defense of the business you have to consider their liability. What if GG slipped getting out of the car and sued? Having said that they should post signs that can be seen.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:Might be a good speculative stock pick. Plug Power went from a few pennies a share to over $8 this week.

Now you tell me!!!!! :'(

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    Yeah great idea, drop 50k on a new Caddy and then be told you are fat. Brilliant!

No, I think if you are normal weight (1/3 of the population) they give you a 30 pound spare when you buy the car. If you are overweight, they only sell you the spare as an extra cost option. It's on a sliding scale, if you are 10% over you pay $33, 20% over $36, etc.

• Options

GG, go to small claims and win. then if they don't pay, tow one of their trucks for the judgement. See how they like it.

• Options

@driver100 said:
    No, I think if you are normal weight (1/3 of the population) they give you a 30 pound spare when you buy the car. If you are overweight, they only sell you the spare as an extra cost option. It's on a sliding scale, if you are 10% over you pay $33, 20% over $36, etc.

I sure hope this is humor.

I like having a spare in my car, the extra 30-40 lbs maybe costs you 1/10 mpg. Big deal, all of my cars are guzzlers anyway.

• Options

I won't buy a car with no spare and normal tires. I would be hard pressed to talk myself into runflats.

so it would need to be a case where I could get a spare and tools needed and a place to store them. the weight savings in negligible. I will just lose 30#s to make up for the spare!

I used to work with a guy that bought a mini S, and hated the RFTs. so he put on normal tires, and got a donut that he put in a bag, and kept stored behind the driver's seat. There was just enough room for the tire, and not enough room for a human, so a perfect solution.

• Options
    edited March 2014

@tjc78 said:I sure hope this is humor.

Oh, it is supposed to be humor, just like selling a $50K car without a spare is kind of humorous. I looked it up and a Compact Spare Tire is $350. That also seems a bit much.
    I also checked a new SRX because I still find it hard to believe a spare is optional, and found this in a review: "The under-floor area can also be used to store an **optional **spare tire".

• Options
    edited March 2014
    SPEAKING OF SPARE TIRES

in the 52 years I've been driving , I remember maybe having 4 or 5 flat tires. 1 every ten years or so which in the general a scheme of things is insignificant. Some might say that not having a spare tire would not affect most cars and drivers. Frankly, I don't care if I never get a flat again - but I do want some kind of "Fifth Wheel" to put on my car in the event I lose pressure in one of the 4 main tires on the car.

Sure I'll call Mercedes Benz Mbrace to have them change the tires so I can get to a dealer to buy a new tires to replace the damaged one. But a spare tires is, to me, a necessity - not a luxury !

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

the problem with no spare is that roadside service can only tow you someplace to sit and wait for someone to find a tire for you (or if lucky repair your flat). And depending on where and when it happens, that can take a while.

much better to have the option to limp home on the donut.

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2014

I get 4 to 5 flats in my tires each year. I just had 2 tires with nails in them already this year.... NY, Tri- state area is the worst with getting a nail in your tire.. I'm thinking people are tossing nails out of there cars while driving.. I dont get it.... Need a vehicle with the road nail finder sensor.

I like to put a Hydraulic jack that comes in a case in each one of my vehicles. Has anyone tried to use that dealer scissor jack that comes with cars .. What a joke that thing is. My wife when she gets stuck just calls AAA.

I make a point to put in my car trunks Jumper cables, 4 way lug wrench, Air compressor pump, tire guage , Can of fix a flat, flashlight and wd- 40 . Not easy to take a lug nut off in the dead of winter without wd-40.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options

Warning: the next few posts will be long. I won't be offended if you skip B)

Our test drive of the Volvo V60 happened a little sooner than I anticipated. The wagons are just now starting to hit the dealer lots in Colorado and we dropped by late Friday evening after the nearest dealership closed, noting they had two of the T5 wagons with the 4 cylinder motors in stock. My wife commented right away how much she liked the styling. The next day, Saturday, we had a few hours between commitments and dropped by again when the dealership was open and the models were unlocked.

After parking our aging van we targeted one of the wagons that was built with our favorite interior, a saddle brown leather against black. The outside initially appeared black, too, but as the sun hit it we realized it was actually a deep, dark brown that glistened beautifully in the full sunlight. The dark paint highlighted the shoulder and long hood creases, and contrasted against the chrome trim that surrounded the windows, which pinched down as they flowed from the A pillar to the steeply raked D pillar. Even standing still the wagon looked like it was moving. The wheel wells were filled with 19" machined and graphite painted rims that were covered in low profile 40 series tires. The overall look was gorgeous and the darker color really brought out the styling.

We had just barely opened the wagon's doors when a smiling sales guy approached us. He cheerfully engaged us in a discussion about our reason for being there and how he could help. We focused on the basics, including no CUV, towing, safe, fuel efficient, family duty. We then measured out the cargo area like we did the BMW wagon. Turns out the Volvo has more usable width, and a bit more length measured about a foot off the floor. At the height of the floor the length is the same, as is the total height. The sales rep mentioned the XC70 would offer more room but sacrifice fuel economy. I countered the 70 was getting long in the tooth, and he agreed despite a recent refresh on the power train and it would be a couple more years until new design released, which ended our discussion on the 70 line.

He quickly offered us a test drive of the V60 without a prompt from us. After fetching a dealer plate and the key, he told us to have fun, take our time, and really get to know the vehicle, recommending a drive through the local mountains since that's where we'd be towing. He offered to leave us alone for the drive and told us to treat the car like it was ours. At this point I was really getting to like this sales person. He wasn't looking for a quick deal and he knew his product in depth. When handing us the key he explained the main features and pointed out things to look for on the drive such as the start/stop system, and the electronic safety features like BLIS for blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert.

(to be continued)

• Options

(continued)

My wife was the first to drive, so I hopped in the passenger seat and instantly loved the interior. The sport seat was amazing. My wife and I are relatively trim and the seat bolstering hugged our bodies perfectly from our thighs through our lats, with plenty of support and cushioning for long drives. The leather was luxurious and supple with beautiful coloring and rich stitching. The dash was built from soft plastics and the doors looked very nice with the saddle brown leather inlay. Handsome aluminum trim adorned the doors and center console. That said, the center console was a bit cluttered with buttons which took more than a few minutes to learn.

Looking into the back I noted the back seat was a little shy on legroom compared to BMW, maybe by an inch or two. My daughter mentioned she was still comfy even with the limited legroom, but I believe it would be a squeeze for adults on a long drive. The sunroof likewise took up a few inches of headroom. Still plenty of room for me at 6 feet tall, but I'd prefer to eliminate the sunroof if possible.

My wife was fairly conservative in her driving, and while she motored along I noted the cabin felt several notches higher in quality than the BMW. The road noise was more muted and the panels stayed tight and quiet. The material touch points made the biggest difference. The door handles were machined aluminum, for instance, instead of painted plastic. The leather, the vinyl, the configurable display, the switches. Everything felt a step above.

When it was my turn I decided to step up the performance a bit so we could feel the handling limits. First test was acceleration. Pass. Big time pass. For a 4 cylinder that thing can scoot, and the tranny reacted exceptionally quick to throttle inputs. It always felt to be in the right gear and ready to downshift from throttle pedal inputs without hesitation. While decelerating I could feel a few downshifts and manual inputs from the steering wheel transmission paddles resulted in quick and firm shifts. From a start there was a tad bit of lag while the turbo spooled up and then disappeared as soon as the vehicle was rolling along.

The suspension in the sport option we were driving with 19” wheels and sport chassis was rather stiff. It helped in corners with flat, controlled handling, but irregularities in the road were transmitted through the cabin. I’d like to try the 18” sport wheel option as well as the non-sport suspension before making a decision if we move forward with the Volvo.

(to be continued)

• Options

(continued)

The V60 can accelerate quickly and corners flat, but combining the two, mashing the pedal while cornering, will result in some torque steer that requires correction with the steering wheel. Not surprising given the power and front wheel drive, but worth mentioning if someone is a rear-drive fan.

The brakes didn’t feel quite as natural as the BMW. They needed a bit more force and weren’t quite as linear. I haven’t seen published distance braking tests for either, but I’m betting the 328 wagon distances will be shorter than the Volvo. The V60 isn’t bad, by no means, but just not as intuitive and natural as the Bimmer.

We tested fuel economy along the way and I believe Volvo was true in their 25/37 EPA estimate, which places it a few mpg better than the gasser Bimmer and a similar number below the diesel 328d. I should note the Volvo runs on regular unleaded. I believe the EPA combined for the Volvo is 29 mpg and the diesel 328d 35 mpg. Assuming 12,000 miles a year that equates to 413.79 gallons for the Volvo and 342.86 gallons for the BMW. Assuming $3.50/gallon for RUG and $3.80 for diesel (I’m being generous with the diesel; $4.00 is probably more accurate), the BMW is a bit more economical per year to fuel. If most of your miles are highway, then the BMW diesel really excels assuming that $3.80/gallon figure is correct. I can’t wait to forget all that and just go electric produced by solar panels :D

We finished up our ride feeling right at home in the Volvo. We met up with our sales person and spent half an hour talking about our plans, which includes checking out the 2015 Outback releasing shortly, as well as expected wait times if/when we order the Volvo. Given this is the USA and Americans almost universally hate wagons, I’m not expecting to find what I want on the lot, so a custom order will be needed. Our sales guy, who has owned three Volvo wagons, agrees. Volvo does offer a European delivery option.

Our biggest concerns are utility/size and cost. Is the rear seat leg room enough? Knowing we’re downsizing from a cavernous minivan, will a sport wagon with a steeply raked rear window be enough for the majority of our motoring? Is the Volvo worth an extra $10,000 over an Outback, and would we prefer the bit more clearance and AWD that would come with an Outback? Those are all things we need to consider. We decided to start logging each time we use the van for purposes the Volvo couldn’t handle and use that to help judge our needs. We let the sales guy know how much we appreciated his time and the experience that day, which truly was exceptional and has left us both comfortable with the dealership and Volvo as a brand.

(the story's end....for now)

• Options
    @tyguy said:
    "Warning: the next few posts will be long. I won't be offended if you skip"

TYGUY - without doubt a great presentation and superb description of the Volvo - a truly poetic in places - great story, TY.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

we went though a similar exercise (well, maybe after the fact!) when we downsized from an Odyssey to an RDX (my wife actually preferred a CUV for the ride height). certainly smaller inside, but there have been few times we really needed the extra room. and have always made due. A roof rack would help also. But, unless you often carry more than 4/5 (in a pinch) should be doable. My wife does grumble that she should have gotten something bigger (MDX size) but pretty much just when we travel at Christmas!

• Options

forgot to mention, when I checked out the V60 at the auto show, I loved it. I am a wagon/hatch fan anyway, along with a Volvo person. So a natural fit. And you can't beat the seats!

in your case, I would highly recommend driving one with higher profile tires and softer suspension. Volvos are not normally known to be soft, and definitely not with a sport package!

Unless you are looking into an H6 outback (will they have one?) or a turbo, I doubt it will meet your driving requirements, based on some time in the current model. Never mind the handling. And if you are willing to do an outback, might as well consider an XC60 Volvo for a bit more room.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,571

@tyguy

I enjoyed your review as always. I look forward to what you decide on,

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,518

@tyguy said:
    Volvo does offer a European delivery option.

That is an excellent opportunity, whether it's Volvo, BMW, Audi or Merc. If you've traveled in Europe before you can revisit favorites. If not, it's a wonderful chance to get acquainted with excellent highways and competent drivers, unlike what we deal with over here.

Either way, good luck with your search.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited March 2014

@tyguy said:
    Warning: the next few posts will be long. I won't be offended if you skip B)

Great review ty. Have you read any of the reviews on the internet. btw...I find Edmunds is difficult...you go to find the review and you get information about buying. Hard to get onto research or some site that just gives you a basic review. I saw 8 out of 10 and 4 out of 5 on some other sites.

This discussion has been closed.