Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@sterlingdog said:

"Willfully ignorant ?" Not a bad strategy -- may I suggest another ? "Selectively" ignorant works well for me.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @Kirstie@Edmunds said:

"Well, I can honestly say I'm doing my part for the environment. I eat all of the cow I can. And it's locally-grown, farmer's market cow, so I'm keeping my environmentally-responsible actions local."

If you really want to reduce CO2 emissions vis a vis cows, figure out a way to keep them from farting - one of the major contributors to greenhouse gases!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Mike....you are right. This from the article I linked....

"Similar to the demand-side findings, many of the production-side recommendations focus on reducing emissions from ruminants, animals—including cows, sheep, goats and buffalo—with a four-chamber stomach that emit methane during the digestion process. This process, called enteric fermentation, more fondly referred to as ‘cow burps,’ is responsible for over 40 percent the agricultural sector’s direct emissions."

They call them "cow burps".

Kirstie....thanks for doing your part... ;)

driver....I concur....some are trying to control weather patterns, it's a bit of a surprise that they haven't tried to control volcanic activity, maybe try to control tsunamis.

It's mind boggling to me.

I promised to discontinue this discourse, so I suppose I should stick to my word.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@abacomike said:

If you really want to reduce CO2 emissions vis a vis cows, figure out a way to keep them from farting - one of the major contributors to greenhouse gases!

I do. I do that by eating them. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Annual Big Bend Open Road Race B)

Is anyone participating in this weekend’s unlimited speed race? If I lived anywhere close I wouldn’t mind burning some rubber. But then again, I would need better wheels than a Buick LaCrosse. Here’s more:

(CBS News) This Saturday, the 75 mph speed limit on West Texas' U.S. 285 comes off for the annual Big Bend Open Road Race. The 118-mile road trip is open to anyone 18 and over. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/speed-limit-comes-off-for-texas-big-bend-open-road-race/

• Options

New thread here - Reader's Rides. It's specifically for photos of vehicles you own (or have owned). I see some of you have found it already! http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/17886/general/x/reader-s-rides#latest

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    New thread here - Reader's Rides. It's specifically for photos of vehicles you own (or have owned). I see some of you have found it already! http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/17886/general/x/reader-s-rides#latest

I posted a few...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

I posted over at reader rides, too.

• Options

Thanks, guys! I'm really enjoying looking at these. Kind of fun to put a real car with a screen name.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

@driver100 said:

Interesting to note that the volcano blowing its top caused the weather to cool, not warm. I have often wondered that if all these greenhouse gases hold heat in, wouldn't they also hold heat from the sun out? I can hardly wait to hear why shade actually makes it hotter, but I will still sit in the shade on a hot sunny day and enjoy my iced tea while the chicken little crowd sits in the hot sun to cool off !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:

I'm waiting for the global warming board.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Outlawing volcanoes and cow farts are a way to distract from the fact that there are ways of lowering carbon emissions that are strictly man made and there's no harm in it. I'm doing some things to lower my carbon footprint and save money at the same time but not running out and buying a Prius anyway. Most of my cars get pretty good mileage. The ones I drive myself don't but I don't kid myself. It takes lot of energy to make a new car and I don't particularly want one. I really like what I have.

Imid's comments about we can do all we want and China is still going to churn out dirty coal plants - not even the cleaner ones. My theory is that we're supposed to be leading the world and setting the example. We can't be the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not a Paul Ehrlich population nut. Had to read that going into college. I have four kids (grant you one is a Chinese export). I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. The problem isn't too many people. It's the will to see that these people are clothed, housed and fed. All countries have obligations to do their part. We're the lead gog and there's responsibilities that go with that.

Gotta run. Kids' concert. First do no harm.....

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    @fezo said:

"Gotta run. Kids' concert. First do no harm....."

I believe you have become a philosopher, fezo. I think you are much smarter than you would have us believe and have been hiding that trait from all of us here on SFTSF. It's public knowledge now! :wink:

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @houdini1‌ said:

"Interesting to note that the volcano blowing its top caused the weather to cool, not warm."

Yes, Houdini, because the amount of heat that a volcano emits is infinitesimal when you consider our huge planet's 25,000 mile circumference and the volume of its atmosphere.

The volcano emits tremendous amounts of heavy clouds of smoke that rises to the upper heights of our atmosphere where it prevents the warming rays from the sun to reach the surface in quantities and strengths needed to support life (plants/trees, animals, humans, etc.). Thus, the Earth cools.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671

@ken117 said:
    Actually IMI, our, the "Global Warming Crowd," goal is to take whatever

action can be taken to reduce the impact of carbon emmissions on the environment. Our Crowd really does not want to control the money nor control the population with rules. That is propoganda disseminated by the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh, folks who are basically employed by certain brothers who do want to control everything.

The bottom line is there is no good reason why humans should not take all possible action to reduce carbon emmissions. After all, what is the downside? If those actions do not impact global warming they would, without a doubt, improve the air quality. That is certainly worth a few extra dollars.

>

What is the downside? Poverty, starvation, death? Take your pick. A few extra dollars to make green technology competitive is worth it. Massive transfers of wealth based on pipe dreams are foolish.

Speaking of propaganda decimated by relatives you seem pretty well indoctrinated by a father-son team. If you feel so committed disconnect from the grid and put a windmill on your roof. Oh yeah, don't use anything plastic or most pharmaceuticals.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@ab348 said:

"I'm waiting for the global warming board"

Try that "do cars cause global warming" board. There were two great guys who debated for years on the topic. The pro guy was an ex Marine who actually tried to live his beliefs. Liked him even though I disagreed with almost everything he said. I admire people who walk the walk.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited April 2014

@Kirstie@Edmunds saidI do. I do that by eating them.

Or we could add a supplement to their feed

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@houdini1 said:
    Interesting to note that the volcano blowing its top caused the weather to cool, not warm. I have often wondered that if all these greenhouse gases hold heat in, wouldn't they also hold heat from the sun out? I can hardly wait to hear why shade actually makes it hotter, but I will still sit in the shade on a hot sunny day and enjoy my iced tea while the chicken little crowd sits in the hot sun to cool off !!

Here is the explanation...btw - Mike described it very well...this is more detailed:

The effect of the volcanic gases and dust may warm or cool the earth's surface, depending on how sunlight interacts with the volcanic material.

Volcanic dust blasted into the atmosphere causes temporary cooling. The amount of cooling depends on the amount of dust put into the air, and the duration of the cooling depends on the size of the dust particles. Particles the size of sand grains fall out of the air in a matter of a few minutes and stay close to the volcano. These particles have little effect on the climate. Tiny dust-size ash particles thrown into the lower atmosphere will float around for hours or days, causing darkness and cooling directly beneath the ash cloud, but these particles are quickly washed out of the air by the abundant water and rain present in the lower atmosphere. However, dust tossed into the dry upper atmosphere, the stratosphere, can remain for weeks to months before they finally settle. These particles block sunlight and cause some cooling over large areas of the earth.

• Options

@fezo said:My theory is that we're supposed to be leading the world and setting the example. We can't be the pot calling the kettle black.

I think most of us do what we can, but you can go overboard on this stuff too. Do you cut your grass with a gas powered lawn mower?

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a new gas powered lawn mower produces volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides emissions air pollution in in in one hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for one hour

And speaking of gas, the EPA estimates that over 17 million gallons of fuel, mostly gasoline, are spilled each year while refueling lawn equipment. That's more than all the oil spilled by the Exxon Valdez, in the Gulf of Alaska.

Sure, my 04 X3 got 22 mpg...the 535 gets 30...I try and all of us do. But, even "Green" people like to have a roof over their head, heat, stoves, and all the other modern conveniences we have. There is a balance, but keep it all in perspective.....most of us do use power mowers to cut our lawns. Everything in moderation! Water is good, but if you get too much you can drown.

Hope you enjoyed the concert.

• Options

On this topic...I'll leave this interesting story out there.........

Are lawn mowers next?

Gallon for gallon, new lawn mower engines contribute 93 times more smog-forming emissions than new cars. It's no wonder that the EPA and the state regulators of California are trying hard to get golf ball-sized catalytic converters into lawn mower and other small engines. However, just like in the 1970s, the lawmakers are being met with a powerful lobby. Briggs & Stratton, the leading manufacturer of small engines, says that these regulations would make for an unsafe product that emits too much heat. Four smaller lawn mower engine manufacturers have refuted this charge. Briggs & Stratton also contends that the overheating could cause brush fires if the mowers are left running and sitting still. California democrats and the EPA think it has more to do with the bottom line. Pending regulations proposed in California could reduce emissions by the equivalent of 800,000 cars per day [source: Barringer].

Source: How Stuff Works

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

@fezo said:
    Outlawing volcanoes and cow farts are a way to distract from the fact that there are ways of lowering carbon emissions that are strictly man made and there's no harm in it. I'm doing some things to lower my carbon footprint and save money at the same time but not running out and buying a Prius anyway. Most of my cars get pretty good mileage. The ones I drive myself don't but I don't kid myself. It takes lot of energy to make a new car and I don't particularly want one. I really like what I have.

Imid's comments about we can do all we want and China is still going to churn out dirty coal plants - not even the cleaner ones. My theory is that we're supposed to be leading the world and setting the example. We can't be the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not a Paul Ehrlich population nut. Had to read that going into college. I have four kids (grant you one is a Chinese export). I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. The problem isn't too many people. It's the will to see that these people are clothed, housed and fed. All countries have obligations to do their part. We're the lead gog and there's responsibilities that go with that.

Gotta run. Kids' concert. First do no harm.....

Fezo, there is nothing wrong with wanting to reduce pollution and have clean air and water for everyone. I think everyone on his board would agree with that.

That said, it is very difficult to believe very much of the global climate change propaganda coming out of the U.N. They themselves have recently admitted that they see nothing wrong in using false or exaggerated rhetoric and scare tactics in pushing their climate change agenda. How can anyone trust any information coming out of such an organization?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options

How can anyone trust any information coming out of such an organization?

I couldn't believe anything the U.N. comes out with, unless I could verify it myself. It is run by thugs and despots out to protect their own interests.

• Options

I don't trust much of anyone's propaganda. I certainly don't trust anyone's scientific papers that are financed by a special interest group and let's face it we've seen loads of them from both sides.

The majority of the world is going to decide what happens on this one whether they are right or wrong and we'll live with the consequences. Or not.

Here's that volcano driver was talking about - just the Wiki areticle. 1816 the year without a summer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

@fezo said:
    I don't trust much of anyone's propaganda. I certainly don't trust anyone's scientific papers that are financed by a special interest group and let's face it we've seen loads of them from both sides.

Right on Fezo. Did anyone catch last week's episode of Cosmos? It was about lead and the story of the scientist who tried to get lead in gasoline banned. His first study was financed by the oil companies. When the results were the opposite of what they wanted, they took away his funding.

It took over 20 years to get lead in gasoline banned because the oil companies kept presenting "scientific evidence" that lead in gasoline was safe.

You always have to ask yourself, where is the money coming from?

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    edited April 2014

@graphicguy said:
    Switching gears.....jmonroe, if you're still around, this has your name written all over it.....

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lazy-cheap-nissan-shows-off-the-self-cleaning-car/

If they ever make a car that waxes itself, he'll be first in line to buy it -- even if it's a Hyundai. :p

• Options
    @driver100 said:

"I couldn't believe anything the U.N. comes out with, unless I could verify it myself. It is run by thugs and despots out to protect their own interests."

Did you here the latest about the UN? They placed Iran as chair of the Human Rights Commission! Iran!!! You know that county's treatment of women, homosexuals, adulteresses, protestors, etc. That's why the UN is untrustworthy. Much too political. The Middle East countries have more clout in the General Assembly than the Europeans the Americas combined.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd see to it that the US secede from the UN. That way, the other countries of the world can either pay for the costs of the organization or do away with it.

The UN has almost no influence in the world. What did the UN do about the invasion of the Crimea and the build up of Russian troops along the border of Ukraine? Zilch, nada, nothing, zero!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited April 2014

Mike...no disrespect intended but I'm not sure where your info comes from. The Chairperson/Commissioner for the UN's Human Rights Commission is a woman from South Africa. She's held the position since 2008 and was reappointed to the same position in 2012. I heard her in a televised speech a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.ohchr.org/EN/AboutUs/Pages/HighCommissioner.aspx

These are the member countries of the Human Rights Council....
    http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/Pages/CurrentMembers.aspx

• Options
    @graphicguy said:

"Mike...no disrespect intended but I'm not sure where your info comes from. "

I was watching Fox News last night. I believe it was Special Report. They had a discussion on Iran's appointment this week to that commission.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited April 2014

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/04/24/Iran-Wins-Seat-on-UN-Women-s-Rights-Commission

"Iran made significant strides in gaining power in the United Nations Economic and Social Council this week, confirming their place on five sub-committees. Most controversial among these is their appointment to the Commission on the Status of Women, which would give the nation influence over global women's rights."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/25/iran-wins-seat-un-body-presses-womens-rights/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    @graphicguy‌ said:

It might have been to the council on women as imidazol1 mentioned in his post - it may not be the human rights commission - but I thought that was what they were appointed to.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Couldn't disagree more. Of course we're paying the tab. We all know that. There's no question that they come out with some really odd decisions at times but what they do provide is constant communication amongst the countries of the world - even ones, like Iran, that we are not technically speaking to.

You have to look at Iran being appointed to the human rights commission in a different light. They are one country on that commission. Their vote is meaningless. What it does is force their own diplomats to daily confront how the hell out of touch they are. It's not rewarding them - it's confronting them without the use of deadly force.

Personally I believe that were it not for the UN our kids would be studying the history of WWIII.

As far as the Middle East having the biggest clout, the lead dog has been for the entire history of the UN was, is and will be the United States of America.

• Options
    @imidazol97‌ said:

""Iran made significant strides in gaining power in the United Nations Economic and Social Council this week, confirming their place on five sub-committees."

Thanks imidazol for posting that. I was just trying to point out the horrible manner in which the UN reacts to pressures - all political. I thought the were also appointed to the human fights commission, but I guess I was wrong.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited April 2014

"NASA says" so that settles it. Global warming is a joke and a fraudulent money-raising method.

"A former NASA scientist has described global warming as "nonsense", dismissing the theory of man-made climate change as "an unsubstantiated hypothesis" and saying that it is "absolutely stupid" to blame the recent UK floods on human activity.

""The term 'climate change' is meaningless. The Earth's climate has been changing since time immemorial, that is since the Earth was formed 1,000 million years ago. The theory of 'man-made climate change' is an unsubstantiated hypothesis [about] our climate [which says it] has been adversely affected by the burning of fossil fuels in the last 100 years, causing the average temperature on the earth’s surface to increase very slightly but with disastrous environmental consequences.

"The theory is that the CO2 emitted by burning fossil fuel is the 'greenhouse gas' causes 'global warming' - in fact, water is a much more powerful greenhouse gas and there is 20 time more of it in our atmosphere (around one per cent of the atmosphere) whereas CO2 is only 0.04 per cent."

"There is no reproducible scientific evidence CO2 has significantly increased in the last 100 years."

• Options

@abacomike said:
    graphicguy‌ said:

It might have been to the council on women as imidazol1 mentioned in his post - it may not be the human rights commission - but I thought that was what they were appointed to.

No problem. Now I understand the point you were trying to make.

Fezo....IMHO, if the U.N. closed up shop tomorrow, I don't believe anything would change, for any country on earth.

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    "NASA says" so that settles it. Global warming is a joke and a fraudulent money-raising method.

"A former NASA scientist has described global warming as "nonsense", dismissing the theory of man-made climate change as "an unsubstantiated hypothesis" and saying that it is "absolutely stupid" to blame the recent UK floods on human activity.

""The term 'climate change' is meaningless. The Earth's climate has been changing since time immemorial, that is since the Earth was formed 1,000 million years ago. The theory of 'man-made climate change' is an unsubstantiated hypothesis [about] our climate [which says it] has been adversely affected by the burning of fossil fuels in the last 100 years, causing the average temperature on the earth’s surface to increase very slightly but with disastrous environmental consequences.

"The theory is that the CO2 emitted by burning fossil fuel is the 'greenhouse gas' causes 'global warming' - in fact, water is a much more powerful greenhouse gas and there is 20 time more of it in our atmosphere (around one per cent of the atmosphere) whereas CO2 is only 0.04 per cent."

"There is no reproducible scientific evidence CO2 has significantly increased in the last 100 years."

Great minds think alike! :)

• Options
    ANOTHER FUNNY REALITY SHOW!

Reality TV shows usually turn me off! The Khardashians, Real Wives of....., even The Great Race and others. But I shared with you guys/gals that I inadvertently ended up on the A&E channel one night and watched "Duck Dynasty" for the first time. Much of it is over the top, but I found myself laughing out loud for the first time in a long time. It is contrived, obviously, but still hilarious IMHO.

I then was watching a show on USA ("Suits" - great show about a law firm - watch it on ON DEMAND if you can) and a new show called "Chrisley Knows Best" came on. Another over the top, contrived reality show about a very wealthy man (Chrisley) with 4 kids and his wife and the trials and tribulations he goes through with his kids, his son-in-law, his wife and life in general. Again, I was laughing out loud.

Both shows are really situation comedies, but in real time. BTW, the estate that Chrisley lives in with his family outside Atlanta resembles a Beverly Hills home, but on acres of property.

If you haven't seen it yet, give it a shot.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN

With the help of a team a scientists, a BIL and at the end one of my son's special needs friends I have updated the operating system of our iPad.

My first use was to get TMV on a new Mustang. Worked well so I guess I owe Kristie an apology. Mea Kulpa Kristie, please forgive my snarky comments. Old folks get cranky when frustrated.

• Options
    edited April 2014

@fezo said:1816 the year without a summer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

That was an incredible article...people starving because of volcanoes. Who would have thought. Thanks for finding that...now, that would be something worth teaching in school.

• Options

@abacomike said:The UN has almost no influence in the world. What did the UN do about the invasion of the Crimea and the build up of Russian troops along the border of Ukraine? Zilch, nada, nothing, zero!

>

When I was a kid I was encouraged to collect and give money on Halloween, to kids collecting for the UN. Now I just pass by if I see someone collecting for them. The money will probably be used to buy weapons that will be used against me.

• Options

@abacomike said:
    imidazol97‌ said:

""Iran made significant strides in gaining power in the United Nations Economic and Social Council this week, confirming their place on five sub-committees."

Mike you were correct in what you said, the words Human Rights are almost used interchangeably with the Women's Rights Committees.

Read this one for the fun of it:

Iran—which leads the world in executions and recently ordered the hanging a 26-year-old rape victim—was voted late Wednesday into a coveted spot on the U.N. Economic and Social Council’s Commission on the Status of Women (CSW).

Tehran’s representative at the United Nations will now serve a four-year term on the committee, which is tasked with protecting women’s rights across the globe.

Iran also won a spot on the leading U.N. committee that oversees the work of non-governmental organizations (NGOs), a move that has sparked fear among advocacy groups that are worried Iran will now be in a position to silence their work.

The NGO committee in particular is “a coveted position because it allows governments to silence criticism by acting as the gatekeeper and overseer of all human rights groups that seek to work inside the world body,” according to U.N. Watch, which tracks oppressive regimes at the U.N.

A number of other repressive regimes were also voted onto the committee, including Azerbaijan, China, Cuba, Russia, and Sudan, among others.

“Today is a black day for human rights,” Hillel Neuer, U.N. Watch’s executive director, said in a statement. “By empowering the perpetrators over the victims, the U.N. harms the cause of human rights, betrays its founding principles, and undermines its own credibility.”

• Options

@graphicguy said:
    Fezo....IMHO, if the U.N. closed up shop tomorrow, I don't believe anything would change, for any country on earth.

I think this puts it into perspective:

2013 at the UN: 21 resolutions against Israel, 4 on rest of the world
    (Published on November 25, 2013 in General Assembly by unwatch. Closed)

The U.N. General Assembly in 2013 adopted a total of 21 resolutions singling out Israel for criticism — and 4 resolutions on the rest of the world combined. See the texts and votes below.

The four that do not concern Israel are: one on Syria, a regime that has murdered 120,000 of its own people, and one each on Iran, North Korea and Myanmar.

There were zero UNGA resolutions on gross and systematic abuses committed by China, Cuba, Egypt, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Zimbabwe, nor on many other major perpetrators of grave violations of human rights.

• Options

@driver100 said:

Back in late 70s there were billboards along I71 in Cincinnati saying "Get us out of the UN."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @driver100 said:

"Mike you were correct in what you said, the words Human Rights are almost used interchangeably with the Women's Rights Committees."

Thanks for the vote of confidence, driver, but they really are separate committees in the UN. I just heard something on the news about Iran being voted onto several committees that they, themselves, are violators of what those committees stand for.

For many years since the Korean conflict in the early 50's, the US has shouldered the burden of world peace keeper. Now that we have no foreign policy that works anywhere in the world and the UN is REALLY needed as peacekeepers, where are they? They are powerless because Russia sits on the Security Council as a permanent member and will veto anything addressing their invasion of Ukraine, specifically the Crimea.

The UN was absent in Libya, Syria (except to investigate the use of chemical weapons by Assad), Ukraine, Egypt, etc. The UN is powerless to keep the peace. Our POTUS talks big, but he has yet to back up his words with actions as evidenced by his threat to Assad if chemical weapons were used and when it was proved to be true, what did he do? The world is on the brink of WWIII and where is the UN?

The "BADDIES" of the world look upon the US as an anemic, poorly led country and are going to lick their chops until this POTUS's term has ended. Then, we all pray the next POTUS can fix our image in the world. I can only pray!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

@abacomike said
    The "BADDIES" of the world look upon the US as an anemic, poorly led country and are going to lick their chops until this POTUS's term has ended.

True.

Then, we all pray the next POTUS can fix our image in the world.

Amen.

• Options
    WHO SAID THE GOLDEN YEARS ARE GREAT?

I'm sitting here on a Saturday evening posting sweet nothings on a posting thread about cars! What does that tell you about the Golden Years? At least MY Golden Years!

The kids are grown and have their own lives. The wife I married is gone and looks down upon me from heaven. My Dad just went to bed for the night so my daily responsibilities to him are at rest for the night as well.

I watch TV reality shows now - good grief!

I sure hope the rest of you Golden Years guys are doing better than I!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318

@abacomike said:
    WHO SAID THE GOLDEN YEARS ARE GREAT?

I'm sitting here on a Saturday evening posting sweet nothings on a posting thread about cars! What does that tell you about the Golden Years? At least MY Golden Years!

The kids are grown and have their own lives. The wife I married is gone and looks down upon me from heaven. My Dad just went to bed for the night so my daily responsibilities to him are at rest for the night as well.

I watch TV reality shows now - good grief!

I sure hope the rest of you Golden Years guys are doing better than I!

Hey mike - not all of us are driving around in $80,000 Mercedes and getting comped steak dinners at the local casino. :-)

Each of us have pros and cons in our lives. I know it can be tough for us from time to time, and I'm glad you have this venue to vent. We are all here for each other - I'd hate to lose your insight and your sales stories.

Hang in there. I'm heading to California next week. My dad is having another surgery on his hip - with his pulmonary issues, the docs are very concerned about his ability to deal with the anesthesia. Hoping for the best, but mentally preparing for the worst.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @Michaell@Edmunds‌ said:

"My dad is having another surgery on his hip - with his pulmonary issues, the docs are very concerned about his ability to deal with the anesthesia. Hoping for the best, but mentally preparing..."

Hope everything works out well for Dad. I lived in Southern California (San Diego, Palm Desert and North Los Angeles) for 10 years in the 90's. I miss my kids and grand kids mostly. Have a safe trip.

Thanks for your words of encouragement - much appreciated!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318

@abacomike said:
    Hope everything works out well for Dad. I lived in Southern California (San Diego, Palm Desert and North Los Angeles) for 10 years in the 90's. I miss my kids and grand kids mostly. Have a safe trip.

Thanks for your words of encouragement - much appreciated!

I was on the other side of the equation - my paternal grandparents lived in NY, while I grew up in CA. Don't think I saw them more than a handful of times my whole life.

I want all my friends here at edmunds to have a positive experience while here - we may disagree from time to time, but there's nothing wrong with a healthy respectful debate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

I just got back from a trip down south. Drove right past Richard's town Wednesday (sorry, no time to stop and hunt you down!). Nice big Honda dealer along 95, and looks like they are getting a big new overpass put in. The place must be jumping.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

@abacomike said:
    driver100 said:

"I couldn't believe anything the U.N. comes out with, unless I could verify it myself. It is run by thugs and despots out to protect their own interests."

Did you here the latest about the UN? They placed Iran as chair of the Human Rights Commission! Iran!!! You know that county's treatment of women, homosexuals, adulteresses, protestors, etc. That's why the UN is untrustworthy. Much too political. The Middle East countries have more clout in the General Assembly than the Europeans the Americas combined.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd see to it that the US secede from the UN. That way, the other countries of the world can either pay for the costs of the organization or do away with it.

The UN has almost no influence in the world. What did the UN do about the invasion of the Crimea and the build up of Russian troops along the border of Ukraine? Zilch, nada, nothing, zero!

Richard

This discussion has been closed.