Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit

Comments

• Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    What is it about the US Fit page?

The web page color choices, video game icons and references and wording (long-legged aliens? c'mon!), clearly indicate they are trying to target young people... almost too young a crowd, if you ask me. I think they could be making a mistake, by not pointing out all of the "third family car", "great daily commuter", "campus parking champion", qualities it has. They almost seem afraid to show an image of the base Fit, out of fear they'll scare off the rice rocket crowd.

The Canadian Fit page however, appears to target more of a broad audience. It provides the information in a more universal way, without making me feel like the parent chaparone at a middle school dance.

The Honda US web designers could learn a few things from our friends up North.
  • Options
    arlingtonbradarlingtonbrad Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. Good stuff.

I'd go with the standard Fit, but it has no cruise control, a useful option I'd want. I'd try to avoid the alloy wheels--my wife tends to glance off curbs with our Odyssey, mostly because we can't see the front corners very well. I've replaced four rims already, and probably have to replace a few more now.

Another concern--that 10-gallon gas tank. It might not give me the range I'd want.
  • Options
    vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Just got delivery of my new fit in China /Shenzhen

this is a 1,5 with CVT. I chose a silver color with creme leather seat and door panels with leather as well.

The Engine is refined and quiet indeed, while the CVT is very smooth. The suspension is quite hard however.

http://www.guangzhouhonda.com.cn/newfit/
    Standard equipment comes with Electric Roof, Aircon, alloy wheels with Bridgestone tires.

I regret the color choice was so scarce. White/black, silver/champagne/dark blue and red.

The price was 125000 RMB that is 15625 USD all included. The dealer offered us the leather and the rear park distance control (not a honda option, but a third party accessory) I also had the lower part of the chassis spread with blackson

the build quality seem overall good, with few rattles and squeaks. but the roar of the tires is quite audible
  • Options
    ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    The FIT was at the LA Auto Show. I was there Friday (the 13th). I sat in the front and the back seats...plenty of room in both locations (and I am 6'2"...210lbs). The flat folding rear seats were AMAZING. I am going to buy a white (non-sport) FIT when they become available. Also, the Yaris was cute on the outside but was "Echo cheap" looking inside. The FIT was much, much nicer inside.
  • Options
    jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Well then LA was ahead of Detroit - all the FIT cars were locked there :mad:
    I will agree on Yaris - real cheap bic pen plastic looking throughout ... :surprise:
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I sat in the front and the back seats...plenty of room in both locations (and I am 6'2"...210lbs). The flat folding rear seats were AMAZING.

Just that right there will guarantee lots of Fit sales, because it will make it a perfect second family car. :) In my opinion, the best part is the fact you can fold up the rear seat bottoms to create that roomy center cargo area--hence the reason why I have to describe this car as the grocery mom car. ;)
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "Also, the Yaris was cute on the outside but was "Echo cheap" looking inside. The FIT was much, much nicer inside."

Amazing, but not very surprising that everyone is coming to the same conclusions regarding the Yaris vs. the Fit. Not to forecast doom upon the Yaris, but I predict the Fit is going to easily pass it in sales. I also haven't heard much if any interest in the Yaris sedan. I am happy that Toyota is finally bringing a small car to the United States, but they could have tried quite a bit harder.

The Fit was in LA?!?!?! I was going to visit the LA show if the Fit had been there, but I assumed it wouldn't be since Detroit started later.

I myself am going to purchase a Fit (base) with 5-speed manual. Still deciding on Lunar Mist and Storm Silver, but only Storm Silver if Lunar Mist is indeed only available in beige interior. I'm not going to bother test driving though, in fact I am waiting for the dealership to start the order list. I checked my dealer's in-stock list and out of 110 vehicles, there are only 10 with 5-speeds. Three of those are expensive models like the S2000 and Accord EX V6 coupé. Getting a manual in the US is difficult!

It's also hard to predict what the true demand for the Fit will be, and Honda has fairly low sales goals (33 000), which might indicate lower supply to the US. I don't really want to be on a waiting list just because I procrastinated. :P
    I hope the Suzuka-Mie factory can pull out some extra units should a demand surge occur.

Oh, and regarding the 10.83 gallon (41 liter) fuel tank. That should be good for 350+ miles if you can get combined EPA, which probably won't be that difficult. I wonder why the US got 1 liter less fuel capacity than Europe and Japan (42 liters)?
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I looked on Saturday all over the Honda area. Twice. And it wasn't there. I figured that they might truck one in a few days after the "debut" to get extra coverage in their largest potential market(hey it only takes up floorspace, right?)

But yes, the problem with the Yaris could be summed up in three problem areas:
    1:Rear hatch on the 3-door is painfully small - much smaller than the interior, so while you COULD fit a 30-36 inch box(ie: TV SET) in the rear, it wouldn't have a way to get IN the back.
    2:The entire interior door panel is one piece of tacky plastic. It just has too much of that cheap "dashboard" plastic everywhere. At least hide it in some velour or break it up. Feels exactly the opposite of a Mini inside - cheap and like driving tupperware-mobile.
    3:5'7" and I touched my head against the headliner in the rear. Of the sedan. The hatchback was even worse.

The Fit, from the pictures, looks like a 3/4 size Vibe/Matrix - buiult to actually be used to put stuff in/serve as a micro-van/wagon.
  • Options
    coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    It is Definetly not 3/4 of a Matrix.
    Comparision: Matrix vs. Fit :
    69.9 - 66.6 Width
    171.3- 157.4 Legnth
    61.6- 69 Height
    Maybe 9/10 Th's Not 3/4ths.
    The Fit is a better buy and has a lot more cool stuff.
    Take Care :):) :P
  • Options
    jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    Re: "Still deciding on Lunar Mist and Storm Silver, but only Storm Silver if Lunar Mist is indeed only available in beige interior."

IMO, Storm Silver is the worst color in terms of visibility by other cars. That color will be almost invisible at dusk or in rainy weather. They may as well call it Hit Me Silver.
  • Options
    Nice specs, btw. It's a 3/4 length Matrix, then. :) But that's great - small and yet useable. I bet you have no problem seeing the hood, either, unlike the new Civic, which is guaranteed to cause numerous bumper mishaps before you figure out where the edges are.
  • Options
    MO, Storm Silver is the worst color in terms of visibility by other cars. That color will be almost invisible at dusk or in rainy weather. They may as well call it Hit Me Silver.

Show me where you get this statistic from??? - according to numerous studies (just do a google search) SILVER is one of the safest colors.
  • Options
    I think using headlights is the best way to limit the chances of getting hit (because of visibility issues) during dusk driving or inclement weather.

I always turn my headlights on during heavy clouds, fog, rain, sundown (before it even gets dark), so I'm sure I will be fine. My family had a dull blue (Montréal Blue it was called) Accord for 18 years. I swear it was the color of a rainstorm. Blended perfectly into a downpour. Never once had an accident because of visibility.

Also, the Fit has nice big headlights and tailight fixtures. You'd have to try not to see them. :P

You know, I think Lunar Mist is available with a grey interior as well...not just beige. If you look at the only pictures of the base model released by Honda (either on Honda News or World Honda), they are all Lunar Mist and they all seem to have a grey interior.
  • Options
    shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    Do you have an extimate of the actual dimensions of the cargo area with the rear seats folded down? How high is the lip in the rear?

Thx,
    Shneor
  • Options
    I like the idea of a "Best Buy/Circuit City" test... determine the largest size box that could fit through the rear hatch opening.
  • Options
    719b719b Member Posts: 216
    is there a storage area for the head rests when the seats are folded down?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Will the U.S.- bound Fit have Daytime Running Lights? I love this safety feature on my 2006 Accord;

If it does, then you shouldn't really worry about the color in the rain or in the dark (which, shouldn't the headlights be on then anyway?)

Just a thought about the DRLs...

thegrad
  • Options
    It looks like there's plenty of room under the rear seats to store the headrests, when reclining the front seats in refresh mode.

Weird side note: I had to re-register with edmunds.com, before it would let me log in/post.
  • Options
    No, there is no information about daytime running lights on the Fit and this is probably something they would have mentioned, or at least listed on hondanews.com. I know that the Fit/Jazz around the world doesn't have it either.

You can probably expect the next generation to have them, but hopefully they will do it differently from the new Civics. :P

...yes, I also had to re-register.
  • Options
    I just received my Honda Fit Press Information pack (don't laugh, I bought it on eBay), which contains a CD with all of the high-res images of the base and sport Fit.

On the front bumper, passenger side, there's a small, circular panel, that looks like you could pop it out, for one reason or another.

Does anyone know what this would be for?
  • Options
    jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    That is for towing the fit should there be any problems. My TL has the same panel.
  • Options
    A bit disappointed by the fuel comsumption of my fit 1,5 CVT at 9 L/100 (25 mpg I think) according to the board computer.

The Engine is just breaking-in and I am mostly in the city center, with 1 or 2 passengers so I hope I can get better figures later.

The trunk capacity is a strong point indeed. Quite big for a car this size.
  • Options
    dewalt - how might someone get a copy of this image CD from you? ;)
  • Options
    Base Fit images (zipped) is about 11MB, and Sport Fit images (zipped) is about 47MB, so emailing is out of the question.

Is there a free upload/dowload service available somewhere?
  • Options
    mikecaponemikecapone Member Posts: 47
    "A bit disappointed by the fuel comsumption of my fit 1,5 CVT at 9 L/100 (25 mpg I think) according to the board computer.

The Engine is just breaking-in and I am mostly in the city center, with 1 or 2 passengers so I hope I can get better figures later."

Some factors you should take into consideration:

Short trips where the engine doesn't have time to reach optimal temperature = lower fuel economy.

Winter gas + cold weather = lower fuel economy.

How you drive (possibly) = lower fuel economy.
  • Options
    Dewalt -
    send me your email to jon.doonan@woodtv.com and I'll send you log on instructiuons for my FTP site - it can take files up to 1 Gig!
    Thanks and then I'll help post some for you if your want or give others the log on info to see for themselves! :D
  • Options
    Those images are definately not compressed heavily. Dropping the DPI to 80DPI for on-screen and then converting them to JPEGs - you could probably fit the entire base Fit group into 2-3MB.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how you got the "Flag" icons next to your names? I would love to have one of these, but don't know how to get one. I would appreciate your help mikecapone, jiman, dewaltdakota, hungarian83, or others with this icon. Anybody will do! I would just like the American flag with me.

Thanks guys, and sorry for going off the topic momentarily, but this is the most sane forum I've been in and thought you might help me.

thegrad
  • Options
    Go to the "Preferences" on the side column. Once on that page go down to Message Board Settings. Display Flag should be given as a pull down menu.
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    1. Is Honda offering the wheels from the Euro Jazz SE as an option? The standard wheel on the Sport makes the car look so outdated and the 16 inch option makes it look cheezy. The euro wheels are so classy.

2. Will Honda be offering the auto HVAC at least for the next model year or are we stuck with the manual knob controls?

3. I paired up the Aerio SX and Honda Fit Sport and they kinda look the same - a tall wagon! The Euro version looks so lean, mean and sporty.

4. Why does the Mexican 1.5l engine have 1 more in torque? So is this the same engine or one of the newer ones?
  • Options
    mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I looked at that flag thing under preferences. For some reason they dont have the Republic of Texas! ;)
  • Options
    Okay, I've got something set up under MyOtherDrive.com, where I set up an account with separate folders containing the base and sport images, along with zip files, containing all images.

First Field: DewaltDakota$yahoo^com, Next field: dewaltdakota
    (of course, replace the "$" with "@, and ^" with ".")

Note: The above information gets you in as a "friend", where you can download and view, but not add images.

Once in, you'll see a folder at the top, labeled "2007 Honda Fit", with subfolders "Base" and "Sport." From there, you can choose from the thumbnail images to preview, or directly download the full size image (3000x1982). The zip files are listed at the end of each group of thumbnails.
  • Options
    1. I certainly hope so, but Honda has not listed any of the accessories specifically. They only mentioned them in the press release. However, with 30+ options available and Honda declaring that this will be the most customizable Honda ever, there is a chance the US could get the Euro SE wheels as an accessory. That will be on my list if they do! :D

2. Manual HVAC only. I think that even at the next generation, the US will still only get manual. Maybe automatic as an option, but European and Japanese models are traditionally better equipped than US-market versions.

3. Really, the only cosmetic exterior differences between the US and other market Fits/Jazzes are the wheels (base) and the longer front and rear bumpers. There are a few other very minor differences in the exterior, but nothing major. I think the wheels add a LOT to the European Jazz SE and give it the luxurious look.

4. There are only three engines offered in the Fit/Jazz worldwide. L12A, L13A, and L15A. There are a few changes made to suit each market, but the engines are the same.

-------
    dewaltdakota,

Thank you for taking the time to upload the pictures. I also bought a Fit press pack off eBay. I hope you didn't pay TOO much. ;)
  • Options
    2. Manual HVAC only. I think that even at the next generation, the US will still only get manual. Maybe automatic as an option, but European and Japanese models are traditionally better equipped than US-market versions.

The pictures of the Honda Fits in Japan and Honda Jazz in Europe I've seen mostly have manual HVAC controls. Automatic HVAC controls are not that common on the Fit/Jazz, probably because it would add quite a bit to the cost of the car (the automatic HVAC control cost over ¥149,100 in Japan, nearly US$1,300! :surprise: ).
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    1. I certainly hope so, but Honda has not listed any of the accessories specifically. They only mentioned them in the press release. However, with 30+ options available and Honda declaring that this will be the most customizable Honda ever, there is a chance the US could get the Euro SE wheels as an accessory. That will be on my list if they do!

Thanks. The availability of the right options then will be the deciding factor in my buying the Fit. The stock Sport Fit does not do anything for me.

There was a lot of posts previously comparing this car to the Mini. At this rate in terms of aesthetics and even performace, it doesn't even come close. The Mini Cooper Base can be tricked out with BBS rims, auto HVAC and all the options that make the car look really really good.
  • Options
    You're probably right and I'm actually not that familiar with the Japanese market. It also may differ between European countries. However, in Hungary (and certain other countries), there are 6 trim lines for the Jazz (2 for 1,2i and 4 for 1,4i):
    Usually there is a 1,2i S with no A/C and then there is a 1,2i S Cool with manual A/C. All four trim lines for the 1,4i have standard automatic A/C. The cheapest 1,4i is about US$14 200, so you could be correct about the US$1 300 increase in price. The most expensive 1,2i is US$12 400. That is a significant increase in price between two trim lines considering that not much is added except for the automatic A/C and the side airbags...and of course the bigger engine! :D

Hmmm...and I see the Fit Aria/City is now starting to make its way around the globe just like the Fit/Jazz did. The City is being introduced in four European countries right now (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia). After the rest of Europe gets it, it may head to the US. After all, Mr. Fukui did say that Honda would be expanding the Fit category in the United States.
  • Options
    >Short trips where the engine doesn't have time to reach optimal temperature = lower fuel economy.

Well, the minimum trip will be about 5/7 km, and there is a part of highways as well

>Winter gas + cold weather = lower fuel economy.
    I kept the A/C on most of the time. Temp is 25 degrees Celcius,like 85 F I think

I regret there is no automatic climate control.

>How you drive (possibly) = lower fuel economy

That would be the big part, but as I am breaking-in, I tend to drive with an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. If I was flooring the pedal, I would understand...

last update: the trip computer indicated 8.3 L/100 just before I filled up. at the tank station I discovered I used 38,4 liter for 400 km. I leave you the mpg calculations.

Very disappointed by the fuel mileage and even more by the board computer which is lying. I will mention it when servicing the car. Even in my Peugeot (a brand that is not renown for reliability and electronics) , the board computer stayed within 3-4% of the reality.
  • Options
    mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    "The availability of the right options then will be the deciding factor in my buying the Fit. The stock Sport Fit does not do anything for me."

Me neither. I even find the undercladding underwhelming (got to love the spoiler though). I hope the right options are available.

The 4 door Toyota Yaris RS, which I’ll have to buy to I get everything I want, plus alot I don't, is almost the same price as a new, stripped down Matrix (that just has everything I want, including cruise control). Makes me wonder.

Even worse, once I start thinking about the Matrix, I start thinking USED!!!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    ...and my timing could not have been better!

The new car sales manager was supposed to have placed his initial Fit order on Monday, but he's been out sick. So, when I told them I wanted to be put on the list, I was a) first to do so at that dealership, and b) able to get him to change his order so the sport he was ordering was going to be in my 5AT (instead of manual) and vivid blue (instead of red). :shades:

He said he'll know in a week or so, if Honda accepted his order, or has changed it.

I was in a good mood, so I gave the new salesguy (who happened to be the one who met me at the door) a couple of Fit pictures and a printout of the specs and features, so he could become more familiar with the car. Now -he's- wanting to get a Fit for himself! Too funny!
  • Options
    I go by many gas stations on the way home from work, and noticed the pumps are back up to around $2.40 for regular gas. At first, I groaned, but then smiled, thinking about my Fit getting 3x the mileage of what my pickup truck gets. My order's in, so no matter how high the demand rises now, I won't be paying more than MSRP.

If they do something like start openly advertising for the Fit during the Superbowl, I can see the lists growing quickly, and those April/May/June allocations being eaten up before the first one hits the dealer's lot.

I wonder ... does Honda (the corporate level) know how many cars have been pre-ordered at the dealership level? If so, they could use this demand (initiated without any REAL advertising, mind you) to help them set the initial MSRP price even higher?
  • Options
    mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    Just back from the show and found it quite an experience sitting in the Fit for the first time! :P

There were two, one on a turntable and the other, a Sport, open on the floor. It was very quiet, so I was able to take my time looking the car over.

I’m 6’3” and really had misgivings about the amount of headroom. I’m happy to report that I had no problem, sitting in the front or in the back (unlike the 4 door Yaris RS, where my head was scraping the rear ceiling).

I was very disappointed with the Yaris’ interior and I really am wondering why they are calling it a ‘four door’. I have more rear headroom in my 1992 two door Mazda 323! :surprise:

The interior quality of the Fit is light years ahead of the Yaris, too. It’s strange, because I sat in the Echo Hatchback at the last auto show and was very impressed by the interior, if not the size of the car itself. However, the Yaris’ interior feels downright cheap.

I had the opportunity to talk to a Honda Customer Service Rep. We chatted for quite a while – very friendly!

She didn’t have a lot of new information, but she did say that pricing in Canada probably wouldn’t be available until March.

She didn’t seem to think that Japan’s manufacturing plans would have any influence on production plans in Canada. She felt it would be a few years before we saw the new model in North America.

She also said that Honda’s policy is to build cars in the country that they are sold, so I don’t expect that they will wait too long to start producing them in North America if the Fit is a success. Maybe it’s not such a crazy idea to lock in a Japanese manufactured one…

Price, options – and a test drive – will still be deciding factors for me. Talking to the service rep, I had the sense that they consider the Fit to be in a category between a subcompact and a compact, almost in a class of its own. This may be true (I’m convinced!), but they’ll still lose me if the pricing is too high, or too inflexible.

I’m not looking for something cheap, as I hope that my new car will last me as well as my 323 has (13 years, 310,000km and counting). Give me a higher priced base with the ability to choose my options and I’ll be happy. :)
  • Options
    mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the heads up on the room in a Fit. I'm 6'3" also and even though the specs look good you never know until you try yourself. I'll test drive before I close, but I've got a deposit down so I'll have a choice. God bless America. :)
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Things couldn't be going any better if you're looking to buy a Fit. All of these buyers who are all goo goo over this new car will rush in with their pre-orders. This feedback goes to Honda as a huge demand for the new car. Honda continues to flood dealerships anticipating continuing large sales numbers, but the newness wears off and thousands of new Fits sit on dealer lots awaiting big price slashes in order to sell. Have a little patience and you'll get one for thousands less than the gotta-have-it now crowd. Coenside the purchase with Honda's year end sale and save even more.
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    That dude's statement about the Echo was way off base. The Echo wasn't a bad car at all (it was ugly, but that don't make it a bad car). It's demise was caused by overpricing, a fate the Fit and Yaris will fall to if Honda and Toyota overprice them.
  • Options
    I’m 6’3” and really had misgivings about the amount of headroom. I’m happy to report that I had no problem, sitting in the front or in the back (unlike the 4 door Yaris RS, where my head was scraping the rear ceiling).

That is THE biggest reason why the Fit will be a hot seller in North America. The fact you both front and back seats could accommodate people nearly 200 cm tall easily makes the car quite desireable for American-sized passengers.

I do think the "tall" mode for the back seat makes the Fit a highly desirable car for grocery shopping, too. :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have a little patience and you'll get one for thousands less than the gotta-have-it now crowd.

I doubt that. Less, perhaps, but not thousands less. Remember, this is a car for which the list price starts at $13k well equipped. There just isn't enough mark-up on the car to allow a discount of thousands of dollars, and there will never be rebates on the Fit (Honda just doesn't do direct-to-consumer rebates). And I think it's unlikely that dealers will be successful if they try to mark up the Fit by thousands of dollars, because then it will be overpriced compared to alternatives like the Rio5 and Spectra5, Elantra 5-door, Yaris 5-door (in Canada), and soon the Versa.

My prediction is that the Fit will sell for MSRP or very close to it for quite awhile, at least until production increases above initial estimates (maybe when the Fit is produced in the U.S.).
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    if there are worthy competitions, honda dealers don't go markups and the car will be sold at or close to invoice. Case in point: the new ody, if it's not for the 04 sienna, honda dealers will still be doing what they've done during the 5 yr run of the last gen ody.

I guess the spread is pretty thin between invoice and msrp in a $13-$15k car, and I believe the content justifies the msrp price(especially in the base model) for a honda.