Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    Will do Craig, but from what I've read on the other forum, doesn't sound good. I'll know first had when the part comes, until then, keeping fingers crossed. Worse thing, be out $43, small gamble for the large convience!
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Pete,
    You know after I saw the Azera changeout I almost went ahead and bought one. I then thought I should wait and see what the others find out. They talked about the backlight being orange....that doesn't sound right. I should ask the Azera guy what color his backlight is. I don't doubt the guys in the other forum but I would think it should work. I eagerly await your test. Are you going to splice wires? Don't forget to disconnect your battery and be safe.

I would like to find someone with an 07 with the control and ask to take a look. Any takers out there? :P We'll be gentle.
    Hey Craig,

Yeah, I read that too about the "orange" lights and had me confused there. I'm not planning to splice anything unless I'm certain it works. What I'm planning on doing is "JUMP" it out (running jumpers from the harness to the button terminals) and testing to see if it works or not. If it does, I'll take it from there how to proceed, if not, I'll put everything back together like nothing has happened and shelf the new updated remote. Therefore, No alterations, no warranty violations.
    Pete,
    Have you been reading the other forum on the changeout? It sounds like the new control works with the 6 disc changer stereo not the single CD stereo. Unless you change out the cruise switch and the cables with the new stereo control. ??
    *sigh* looks like I'm out $43..... I got the single cd head unit (just read the latest posts from the hyundai forum) I'll just hold onto to this remote for a possible future mod. Until then, just keep my eyes open until I see an easy surefire way to mod it with the OEM remote. Still didn't receive the remote yet, but it's only been a week and I think I read it took 2 weeks to get here. O well :(
    That's why I waited. I am very disappointed. I really hoped it would work. This is the first car I've owned that I can change volume, mute and modes from the steering wheel so I am content to work with that.

I'm sure they will let you return it if you want to. Never hurts to ask. Thanks for stepping up and wanting to be the guinea pig.
    Not a big deal. $43 risk was worth it if it would have worked. Yes, this is also my first car with a remote stereo control, ABS, ESC, 6 airbags, trip computer, remote entry/alarm, alloy wheels... to sum it up, my first new car. I'm not going to bother to return it, after all it been half way around the world and I might be able to use in the future. I'll just shelf it for now.

Pete
    Pete,
    Go check out the other forum. Seems someone had made it work.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Thank you for trying! I also have the single disc CD. Hopefully, after there are more of the XM models out there, we'll find someone on this board who can offer us the info we need to successfully upgrade.
    Hey Craig, I just finished reading that "other" forum. From what I gather, if you have an '06 Sonata with 6 disc changer, you can do the swap with the new remote with some splicing, or get the wire harness and an '07 cruise remote and no splicing. If you have an '07, it seems to be plug and play if you have the 6 disc changer already, and if you have the single cd/mp3, no one's sure. If you have an '06 with single cd/mp3, it seems like we're screwed. Anyhow, I just got my remote in the mail today. I'll take a look sometime this week when I get a chance. And unfortunately, I have an '06 with single cd/mp3. :P
    Pete,
    The post where they talked about getting one to work was confusing. I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I may pull my airbag off and have a look around. Hmmmm I wonder if an Azera control would work. The flat plug seems to be the kicker. Do the Azera's come with a 6 disc changer as standard? That could be the difference.
    Craig, just for you, I just came back in from taking the steering wheel cover off. What it all comes down to is the plugs. It does look tedious to exchange the existing wiring harness, but if necessar, it looks as if you can remove the clip from the wires and the slide it under the steering wheel supports. The old plug has 4 wires, (5 actually) Pink, Green, Grey & 2 Blacks under one quick connnect. On the old remote, there are 7 stabs (connection points) 4 for buttons and on the new updated remote, there are 8 stabs in a flat row. I think I'm going to have to order the wiring harness just for the hell of it so that I know which stabs need to be used on the new remote, rather that guessing and possibly frying my radio up. So maybe in another 2 weeks we'll see, and hopefully, more info will have been posted by then. As for the Azera, I suspect you're right that it probably comes with the 6disc changer, after all, it's Hyundai's flagship vehicle.

FYI, it's #30 torx to remove the airbag/horn, and I think it was a #20 torx to remove the remote. I didn't disconnect the battery, hence I didn't want to lose all my memory on my radio and on the trip computer. There shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't start poking around with a sharp object or cutting wires 2 at a time. Word of advice, if you ever have to cut wires, ALWAYS cut them one at a time. Whether AC or DC!

PS, If & when u look under the airbag, take a look at the brass portion of it's left underside. I noticed KIA stamped on it!

TTYL,
    Pete
    Pete,
    It sounds like you might want to order the cruise switch also. I think ours does not match up with the new harness. I don't think I want to go thru all this hassle just to change stations and tracks. Now if I could turn the unit on/off, maybe a different story. :surprise: Thanks for the torx info, I'll probably have to buy one for this. I'll have to look in the tool bucket.
    Craig
    I'll probably order the harness first and if I can figure which pins are needed and get it to work right, THEN I'll definitely order the cruise control switch if needed. One step at a time........ BTW, know of anywhere that sells the correct cruise switch??
    You ordered your radio control from Dream right? I would suspect they ofer the cruise as well.
  • sitinon32sitinon32 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 07 Sonata limited w/factory radio (but I declined the 6-disc cd changer). I REALLY want WIRED ipod intergration in my car w/o changing out the head-unit. I was hoping that I could buy an Aux-cord w/an 8-pin insert until I realized that the stock radio in my Sonata only has what looks like an 16 or 20-pin insert on the back. I was thinking of going with the Harmon-Kardon drive+play. Has ANYONE on here installed this onto thier factory radio? If so, is the sound quality acceptable? I REFUSE to do wireless. I live in New Orleans and the fm modulators are terrible due to static and the constant need to change stations. If not the D+P, an anyone recommend any suggestions that will help me get a wired Ipod connection w/o changing my radio? Any cords/wires no the market for 07 Sonata stock radio?
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    I just completed wiring the new upgraded volume/tuning steering wheel controls in my '06 Sonata and my wife's '07 Sonata. Both have non XM single CD units. Got the updated switches, and wiring harnesses from dreamka4u.com in Korea.
    The switch itself is a perfect fit, not hard to change. The problem is the old plug does not fit into the new switch. :mad: Here's how to make it work:

For safety, remove the positive battery cable under hood. No way the airbag can go off with it unhooked. You will lose your clock setting, but the radio remembers it's stations. Must have a small battery or some sort of RAM chip.

Remove the airbag/horn cover. Use the Torx driver as described previously. I bought mine at Pep Boys for around $3.00.

Remove the old volume switch with a smaller Torx driver. Look at the old plug. It is square, and will not fit into the new switch assembly. :cry:

Cut the NEW plug that fits into the NEW switch off of the NEW wiring harness. This is all you need from the new wiring harness. Leave a couple inches of wire, strip the ends.

Cut the OLD plug that fits the OLD switch off, as close to the plug as possible. Strip the wire ends of the factory harness. There should be 2 blacks, a pink, a gray, and a light green.

Splice/twist/solder/heat shrink/electrical tape the NEW plug wires (blue, red, yellow, pink) to the OLD factory harness wires as follows:

OLD(factory) NEW(Korean Plug)

Black (both) splice to Blue
    Pink splice to Red
    Gray splice to Yellow
    Light Green splice to Pink

Before you do your splicing, make sure you tuck your factory wires back under the metal framework of the wheel. (I pulled mine out for easier stripping of the ends).

After sealing all your wire connections so they can't touch each other, feel free to reconnect your battery cable and try out your radio. The buttons formerly known as volume up and down should now make your radio seek the next station up and down, or skip to the next CD track. The volume up and down are now found behind the switch, along with the mute. If all is well, disconnect your battery cable once again, re-install your airbag, reconnect your battery cable, and help me try to figure out WHY DIDN'T THEY BUILD THEM ALL LIKE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE! ;)
    That's great news!! I've bought the part awhile ago, but haven't gotten around to making an attempt to change it. If everthing works perfectly as you say, I'm gonna have to find some time to make my upgrade too! By the way, is the color of the illumination green or orange?? I've read somewhere that it is now orange???
    I just checked it, and unfortunately the new illumination color is orange. However, it's not very bright. I haven't driven it at night yet, but my wife hasn't noticed it during the day yet. Stay tuned! I hope I don't end up having to drill a hole into the thing to change some color shroud on a tiny bulb/LED somewhere.

By the way, this upgrade takes a while on the FIRST Sonata you do, but is pretty quick on the second one LOL :)
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I tend to agree. An aux jack as well as a usb port should be a mandatory feature on any car stero.
  • wcw1wcw1 Member Posts: 44
    Here is another thread about successful remote control installations.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t15923-06-to-07-sonata-radio-remote-success.htm
  • perlymanperlyman Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2007 Sonata Platinum Edition (and I love it) It came fully loaded (including the 6 disc mp3 w/ subwoofer).

I want to add an amplifier and sub box to the trunk, does anyone know if the single factory sub is being driven from an amplifier or just the stock radio and is it only recieving an LF signal?

I would like to tap into the factory sub line signal to drive a new amp and sub (instead of replacing the deck and running rca cables back to the trunk)

Will this be a problem if I use a high input converter?

Thanks

R
  • homerjwhomerjw Member Posts: 13
    Hello, I have a 2006 Sonata, GLS (Sunroof, etc...) and I was wondering if anybody has had a satellite radio installed in their Sonata?

Thanks
  • wmarkwwmarkw Member Posts: 5
    I got one yesterday.
    So far, I'm only able to receive 4 stations.
    I have to go back tommorrow to pick up something, so I'll ask them how the 90 day preview is supposed to work , or if those 4 stations are the preview.
  • homerjwhomerjw Member Posts: 13
    Did you get an aftermaket head unit installed? I don't want to go to that length. I'm planning on running the antannae under the trim and out thru the trunk, and hook it up to a plug and play receiver, and was wondering if anybody had any experience doing it.
  • pagemaster500pagemaster500 Member Posts: 4
    Is the radio antenna located on the rear windshield, or somewhere on the front one? I'm setting up the xm satellite antenna and it recommends placing it as close as possible to the car's antenna when using the fm transmitter.
    If I'm not mistaken the antenna is the top three wires in the rear windshield. It is in the back for sure. I do believe the owners manual covers this and shows you exacly which wires are it.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Has anyone upgrade the base stero (non xm) in their 06/07 Sonata?
  • joel21joel21 Member Posts: 2
    I just installed an Alpine 9883 in my 07 Sonata non XM GLS. The reception and sound quality are greatly improved, and I can control my Ipod through the head unit. I bought it from Crutchfield, which provides excellent instructions and the cut-out and wiring harness needed. I am now interested in setting up the steering wheel remote.
  • iwantacariwantacar Member Posts: 7
    kimweigel, you are the stud! I followed your directions step by step. I too have an 06 Sonata with single CD/MP3. The splicing worked like a dream. As you said, the only thing you have to really mess with is the connection to the radio controls. You don't even have to unplug the wiring harness to the other steering wheel controls. I agree that first unplugging the main battery is a wise safety precaution. Thanks again!
  • iwantacariwantacar Member Posts: 7
    Have you seen message 68 of this string? I followed the directions as detailed and also got my GLS 06 to work with the updated controls. All that is needed is a little wire splicing.
  • desiboy2k4desiboy2k4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have Sonata 07 GLS w/ XM Single CD but no steering wheel controls. I also ordered the switch and harness from dreamka4u. However, I'm not sure what splicing is needed because my old harness is different than what you guys have.

Old Harness(center plug):

_ _ Brown Yellow Green "Ground, Connects to airbag"
    _ _ Black Pink _ _

New Harness(Center plug):

_ _ _ White Brown "Black, Connects to airbag"
    _ _ Blue Red Yellow Pink

Old harness (Cruise control):

Yellow
    Brown
    Green
    _
    _
    Black
    Pink

New Harness (Cruise Control):

_
    Brown
    White
    _
    _
    Blue
    Red

Can anyone help me out here on what I can do get this working? Also, is there a way to order the harness that you guys have?

Thanks!!

p.s. If I use the harness from dream, audio control works fine but my cruise control doesn't work.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    My 2007 Sonata Platinum edition has a good sound system but I have a problem. My subwoofer in the back is vibrating so much it is banging the interior of the car(the brake light that sits in the window) against the back glass making this annoying vibrating sound. When I push down on the back dash(for lack of better words), the vibration goes away. Should I look at getting a differnt sub, or should I take it back to the dealer? I was just gonna get some peices of foam, and wedge them between the back glass and the interior to keep them seperated.
  • tayderdetayderde Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I hear everyone talking about added systems has anyone put after market speakers in? I am trying to do this and cant figure out how. if anyone can help i would be so happy.
    Thank you, Thea
  • robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    I would like to add an aux input to the factory XM deck, Hyundai missed the boat here but got the rest of the car right :-) , in my 2007 SE. I know XM and Sirius plan to merge but for now I want to have my Sirius Replay as well.
  • jasonrockhilljasonrockhill Member Posts: 4
    Has this been resolved yet?? Is there a way to direct input an ipod into a '06-'07 Hyundai Sonata?? Is there a plug in the back of the stock head unit? What does it look like (how many pins?)? I am thinking of leasing an '07 Sonata Limited, but this is the only drawback I can find. Let me know your thoughts..

Jason
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Jason, unfortunately the answer is no, at least with the current build. I have an '07 Sonata Limited and recently pulled the stock radio head out. It is the 6-disc changer model with factory XM. The only connectors on the rear are the Hyundai proprietary ones for their audio and antenna cables. No means of directly connecting an iPod or any other MP3 device. Bummer...

Mike
  • sonotaownersonotaowner Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

Are you by any chance interested in selling your 6 cd radio? If so, how much are you wanting for it?

Tks.
  • kash1441kash1441 Member Posts: 2
    there is an after market adapter that wires into the back of the factory radio with no probleum
  • kash1441kash1441 Member Posts: 2
    i have two 15 for sale in jersey if anyone want tp get them
    I have found an antenna adaptor that has a plug for the Sirius raido "FM OUT" connection that cuts out your antenna feed so the Sirius FM feed is the only feed to the radio. The best part is its only $20
  • jasonrockhilljasonrockhill Member Posts: 4
    Can you give details on this....how did you set this up, where do you buy the adaptor, is it a direct connection or FM modulator? Would it work for an iPod? Thanks in advance!
    -Jason
    http://www.tss-radio.com/direct-adapter-wired-relay-p-4082.html That is the link to the part. I have not bought it yet because I still have the free XM and I am trying to wait until XM & Sirius merge so I don't have to have 2 Antenna's on my car, but if its going to take much longer I will add my Sirius radio to my car.
    I have not been very happy with the performance of the factory head unit in regards to the normal radio reception and I am thinking the antenna in the rear window is the biggest problem. I noticed this morning while I had a FM radio station tuned in, it was a very good signal btw, I turned on the rear window defroster and poof - it sounded like the station I was listening to was 100 miles away. Has anyone else noticed this? and would one of these signal "boosters" added inline to the antenna feed make any difference?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    have not been very happy with the performance of the factory head unit in regards to the normal radio reception and I am thinking the antenna in the rear window is the biggest problem. I noticed this morning while I had a FM radio station tuned in, it was a very good signal btw, I turned on the rear window defroster and poof - it sounded like the station I was listening to was 100 miles away. Has anyone else noticed this? and would one of these signal "boosters" added inline to the antenna feed make any difference?

The signal booster may not help your case here since it will boost both the RF (Radio Frequency) signal that you want to receive and Noise (contributed by the rear defroster) the same amount.

Your problem is the vehicle Electrical Noise got coupled to the the Rear Defroster when it is turned on. So the fix for this problem is to reduce the Noise getting to the defroster wires. Sometimes, in some vehicles, the noise is generated locally at the defroster wires themselves: micro crack on these Defroster wires. As soon as the defroster is turned on, there are small sparks across the cracks. Sparks are very effective in jamming RF Signal (AM/FM/GPS...)

jt
  • rjimlarjimla Member Posts: 1
    All,
    I recently bought a 2006 sonata gls with a single cd radio. I have been reading the forum to see if any have swapped out a single cd for a OEM radio with 6-cd changer. I have not seen any yet. I am wondering what are your thoughts on such an operation? It seems possible. Any takers?
  • jrod9707jrod9707 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys I know the firat answer any of us will respond to is well it depends on what quality of replacement speakers you put in-I know that but here's the reason for the vague question.
    ---I want to put in replacements but I was curious as to people that have replaced their factory speakers how much of an improvement it was and possibly the brand that you put in.Here is the million dollar question does the head unit have enough power and also clean sound to push the replacement speakers sounding very good.
  • sonataipodsonataipod Member Posts: 1
    i got a soultion to connect your iphone/ipod to play songs in sonata speakers..Just go to any car audio store and buy this FM modulator-Performance Teknique-PLL Synthesizer FM Modulator.This is also made in Korea as Sonata,This modulator is coonected to antenna internally and plays clearly than any wireless FM Modulators.
    I have added aftermarket speakers in my 06 Sonata LX. The difference is huge. The original speakers are paper, with a tiny, weak magnet. Almost any aftermarket speakers would be an improvement.
    I bought a pair of Infinity 6020cs 6 1/2" component speakers for the front doors.
    These consist of a seperate woofer, tweeter, and crossover network. The speakers are made out of polypropolene rather than paper, the magnets are much bigger, and more powerful, and the tweeters are the sweetest sounding to me.
    You can learn more about these and many other aftermarket speakers at Crutchfield.com. Their prices are not always the lowest, but their service is the best. They stand behind everything they sell, and they only sell quality.
    You can buy speakers cheaper on E-Bay, but you won't get free wiring harnesses, and step by step install directions.
    For the rear doors, I bought a pair of Infinity 2 ways, since I don't really need seperately mounted tweeters up high back there.
    The install is not very difficult, but it does take time because you have to take the door panels off. I recommend a panel removal tool, which looks like a siamese twin version of a flat bladed screwdriver (V) at the tip. There are little round plastic trim caps covering the screws that hold the door panel on. These can be popped out with a penknife.
    Once the screws are removed (all the way around the door, and the cup inside the door handle), you can pop off the door panel using the trim removal tool. There are white plastic clips attached to the panel that pop into mating holes in the steel part of the door. The trick is to get the V shaped tip of the tool around the white plastic clip, and pop it out of its metal hole in the door, without detaching it from the door panel. It holds in tight, like the ribbed plastic corks in some champagne bottles. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard.
    After all your clips have been popped loose, the door panel should be hanging from the top of the door, where it touches the window, and loose everywhere else.
    Now you can lift the panel up out of the window groove, and free of the door. You will have to disconnect the wire connections for window switches, and/or locks. The plastic connectors all have some sort of mechanism that locks them together, like a small tab you have to push in or pull out. Don't worry about reconnecting them wrong, the plugs are all different and won't let you.
    Now, the fun part. Drill out the rivets that hold your factory speakers in. Pull hard, they are sealed in pretty tight. Marvel at the cheap paper cones, and tiny magnets. Toss them in the trash. Install new speakers in their place.
    You may need to drill some holes in the door to attach the new speakers. You may need to use some trim rings that extend your speaker's diameter, so they can reach the door's sheet metal (I did). You also need to be sure that your car's window clears the back of the speaker magnet in it's down position. (you'll need to plug the window switch back in to run it up and down).
    That's just the woofer. I haven't mentioned the crossover network, or tweeter changeout. This is why car stereo installers charge what they do. This is custom work. Depending on how handy you are, this may be a cute simple little job, or a nightmare of pain and suffering.
    My first door took me a long time, but I had to learn how to take the door apart, and invent the process for mounting my woofer, tweeter, and crossover network.
    The second door was much faster, because I knew how to take it apart. The back doors were easier still, because there were no seperate tweets or crossover.
    What I haven't mentioned, is that I'm not exactly driving these speakers with just the factory radio. Although I've kept the factory radio, I have gotten behind it, and dropped the speaker level output to a line level output with a line level converter .
    This is a small box which basically takes the high level speaker outputs, and converts them to a low level output (similar to a headphone out). I then sent this signal to the trunk, where I have an Infinity amplifier. It raises the clean low-level line input signal to a high-level suitable for speaker output (111 watts per channel x 4).
    This signal is then sent back up front behind the radio, and back into the original factory speaker wires, where they were cut to install the line-level converter.
    The result is a much cleaner, clearer sound than factory, without losing any of the factory radio perks ( big display, big buttons, integrated look, steering wheel controls).
    Even without the power amp, better speakers will sound better. It's just that simple. However, the amp will change them from merely good, to awesome. As loud as you want to go, clean and clear all the way up and down, without distortion. Most distortion (and blown speakers) comes from underpowered amps, not cheap speakers. Having said this, speakers are still the most upgrade for the least money you can buy.
    Again, this is not a quick and easy job, but you can do it yourself if you are calm, careful, and methodical. If not, you may want to pay an installer to do it for you. Circuit City is pretty reasonable, and they have the skills and tools to make quick work of an install like this. It takes time and money, but the sound may be worth it to you.
    If you are still interested, ask me about my Infinity Bass Link
  • jrod9707jrod9707 Member Posts: 7
    Do you think if I put in Memphis or Boston Acoustic speakers(coaxial front and rear) with the factory deck it will put out clean enough and good power to these speakers.I'm not going to mess with an amp even though I've got 2 MTX 4 channel Amps collecting dust!