Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• billchang2billchang2 Posts: 11
    I loaded all my mp3 musinc onto a 32 GB USB(it's about 20 GB worth). It tries to read but gets error. Now it wont even read the 2GB USB I used to use. Anyone else tried? Any ideas on how to reset? Where to get tedh support? No support at Infinity factory site.
  • I have the BB Curve 8330tried to plug it in using the usb that came w/ the phone to play my mp3's. It says reading usb on the radio but when I try to play it says there is nothing there. When I go into my music on the phone it says that I have no songs. As soon as I unplug the phone from the car-all my songs pop back up. Is there a way for me to play the songs that are on my phone? I dont know what format they are in. I download them from tuneroom.com I know that windows media wont play them when I plug my phone into the computer. I then tried to take the songs and transfer them from my phone to a usb stick and it still wouldnt read them, but it would read the ones I put on the stick from my windows media player. Does anybody know how to fix this? I dont know how to convert them if they need that.
  • i360i360 Posts: 74
    The BB Curve uses a different operating system then Windows, your car has no idea what your plugging in. You'll need to add MP3s directly to a USB stick for it to work on your car system. Or purchase an ipod......
  • bulldog44bulldog44 Posts: 3
    The sound system only knows how to talk to iPod and iPhone devices through the USB port. You can load up a USB stick with songs and play them through the sound system or you can do what I used to do with my iPhone before I purchased the Hyundai iPod cable: connect the headphone jack on your BB (I'm assuming it has one) to the AUX input of the sound system. The down-side is that you will still need to navigate your playlists and song selections on your BB. The sound system screen will just show "Aux Input", no song information. BTW, this approach will work with any MP3 player or device that has a headphone jack.
  • lemur21lemur21 Posts: 3
    Hi Merg,

Quick question for you -- I know you say you have 'full control of your iPod' with the Hyundai cable.

I have the cable - and the thing I can't seem to make happen, is "stopping" the iPod. For example - I listen to a bunch of podcasts. If I turn on the radio, and listen to a podcast, let's say I want to stop listening halfway through (maybe I get a phonecall). I'll turn off the radio at the 32 minute mark. If I talk on the phone for 6-8 minutes, I'll turn the radio back on - but the iPod has continued playing...I've now played PAST 6-8 minutes...Is there any way to "stop" the iPod from playing (or, pause it...which is a control on the iPod...)

Chris
  • themergthemerg Posts: 139
    There is no way to manually pause the iPod when it is connected to the audio system. As for it continuing to play, I haven't seen that issue before. When I turn "off" the radio or switch to a different mode, the iPod automatically pauses itself. When I turn the radio back "on" or switch back to the iPod mode, it continues playing.

What type of iPod do you have? I have seen some differences in how the system works depending on the version iPod. For instance, I have a 30GB Video iPod and it will not turn off automatically when the car is turned off. I need to manually turn it off after the vehicle is turned off. My wife though has a 60GB iPod and it will turn itself off on its own.

As for the display within the Nav System what I do wish is that they would remove the Repeat button and replace that with a Pause button. The Repeat button only causes the current song to repeatedly play over and over. I don't know the last time I ever listened to the same song over and over and over again. If you select a Playlist, it will automatically repeat itself when it is done. A Pause button would be great as you wouldn't need to leave the iPod mode in order to "stop" playback.

- Merg
    I have a 120gb classic. I turn "off" the radio, and - if the car is still running - the ipod continues to run.

Then again, I also turn the ipod 'off' or to "hold" - but I wonder if that's causing the problem...I should check that out.

DEFINITELY a pause button would be helpful - that's the main functionality you don't have on the steering wheel (or, anywhere, for that matter).

Chris
  • nstuffnstuff Posts: 25
    To randomize ALL the songs on the ipod, I'll hit the artist button, then the all albums button, then the all songs, then randomly hit any song there. At that point, (with the newest firmware from map&soft), hit the random button twice. It will then do a great job of random play everything on the ipod. If you hit the NEXT button, it will keep randomly bringing up the next song, regardless of artist or album.

I have both a 4gb 'squatty' nano, and the older 8gb tall nano and this works fine for both.

When you play a normal song, does it pause when you turn the audio off? Holding down the MODE button on the steering wheel turns the audio off too. For me, this basically pauses whatever is playing, podcast or song.

As for the ipod staying on, or turning off after i turn off the car, this seems to be very random after I upgraded with the Map&Soft firmware. I've gone weeks by turning off the car at the end of the day, and the song is waiting for me in the morning. And then, randomly, i'll get in the car, and it's obvious that the ipod's battery went dead over the evening, and it's playing the first song on the ipod. Previous to the updated firmware, the ipod's battery was dead way more often.
    Where are you getting this new firmware?

I checked today - my problem ONLY happens with podcasts. I listened to a song last nite - stopped it halfway through. Turned off my car. Got in this morning, turned on the car, hit the "on" button on the radio - song picked up right where I left it.

Then, I turned the radio off for 10 minutes while I drove. Turned it back on - same thing, it picked right up. However, if I do either that with a podcast, it will keep playing, for some reason......(although, I believe turning off the car DOES pause the podcast...it only happens while the car is still running and the radio is turned off).
    The Radio may talk to other USB players depending on the mode in which the device is set. I use both and USB stick with all the mp3's in a music folder and a Sansa Sandisk e260 player running either the original OS or the public domain OS Rockbox. (yes it can double boot into either). Google Rockbox if you're interested.

Regarding whether or not the radio will recognize other players, I use the Sansa USB cable. For other players and phones (e.g. Blackberry) it's a question of whether the device is set to MSC (Mass Storage Class) where it's just a storage device or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol- Used by Windows Media Player 10 and higher) where it's generally recognized as an audio device. I'm not sure of the details on all devices but but both the Sansa and the Blackberry have settings menus where you can set these things. Sometimes there's a n auto setting which can either support or defeat your efforts to control ther device through the radio.

In the meantime, I still have issues because my system still won't recognize the USB stick since I hooked up my 32GB stick with 20 GB off mp3 music on it. Anyone know how to reset the radio so I don't get a USB Error eerytime I connect?

Thanks.
    To randomize ALL the songs on the ipod, I'll hit the artist button, then the all albums button, then the all songs, then randomly hit any song there. At that point, (with the newest firmware from map&soft), hit the random button twice. It will then do a great job of random play everything on the ipod. If you hit the NEXT button, it will keep randomly bringing up the next song, regardless of artist or album.

I normally keep my iPod on "Shuffle All". Hence, when I play it in my car, I just need to hit the Random button twice for to randomly play my song list. If I had selected a Playlist on my iPod, it will stick to that Playlist when I plug it into the car. The Random button at that time will just randomly play among the Playlist. To get it back to random among all the songs, I just go into the menu, view all songs and pick something at the top of the list. As soon as I hit Random I can then hit Next and I'm on my way.

- Merg
    Where are you getting this new firmware?

I checked today - my problem ONLY happens with podcasts. I listened to a song last nite - stopped it halfway through. Turned off my car. Got in this morning, turned on the car, hit the "on" button on the radio - song picked up right where I left it.

Then, I turned the radio off for 10 minutes while I drove. Turned it back on - same thing, it picked right up. However, if I do either that with a podcast, it will keep playing, for some reason......(although, I believe turning off the car DOES pause the podcast...it only happens while the car is still running and the radio is turned off).

The most recent firmware was provided with the map update for the Navigation System that was available starting this past January. If you hit the Random button and it first goes to Album Random and then just Random, you have the most recent update. If you don't have the Navigation System, I'm not sure what the most recent update is for the Audio system.

As for the Podcast not working correctly, I'll try to get one on my iPod and see what happens.

- Merg
    THanks for the info. I've pretty much done what you did but then made the mistake of plugging in a 32GB stick with 20GB mp3 and it gives me a USB read error. Know anyone/ anywhere where I could get help with this issue? No luck at Infinity sound. They send you to Hyundai.
    it's just the map&soft one... they released it back in January. Some people on these boards may still have the original firmware which had tons of issues with locking up, among others. The 3.3a or whatever it was, was a TSB by Hyundai and fixed a bunch of things. But the update from Map&Soft had a few more fixes in it, i'm sure (i don't know anything specific, it just seems to behave a little better).

I've never spoken with Infinity, but when i was having some random problems updating to the new firmware, Map&Soft referred me to another company, Hyundai Autonet which, i believe, developed the navi software. I can't seem to find the number they gave me to office in Tustin, California. But if you call Map&Soft's 800 number, they should be able to refer you.
    I've noticed recently that M&Soft has a recent "test" update listed on their website. I wonder if its an actual additional update or perhaps a website error, which given the sites quality may be a possibility... I would like to update but balk at the price. :(
    Actually, the power button when pressed once pauses the iPod, and another push resumes play....

This is with the 2009 Limited and 120gb iPod Classic.
    I have the Nav System... Pressing the Power button turns off the radio and displays the Warning for the Nav System if you haven't used it yet. If you have, it displays the map. I'd rather have a true pause button that just stops play, but leaves the music information on the screen.

I'd also like a true Power Button. If I hit Power, I want the system to turn off. If I want the Nav system to display, I'd hit the map button.

- Merg
    I've noticed recently that M&Soft has a recent "test" update listed on their website. I wonder if its an actual additional update or perhaps a website error, which given the sites quality may be a possibility... I would like to update but balk at the price

Where did you see this "test" update on their site? As per the site's quality it had defninitely improved over the last 10 months.And while the price of $199 is a little steep, if you jump on board an pre-order the update when it somes out, they will discount it by 40-50%.

- Merg
    I normally use my ipod, but reading your post, i decided to try my 32gb thumb drive. i threw a few folders full of music on it and tried it out. Worked fine. Annoying bit is the detailed info on each song is disabled by default, for each and every song. You enable it, hit NEXT, and it disables the info again.

Hitting the random button immediately starts playing a different song randomly without waiting for the current one to finish.

Otherwise, it plays the files fine, and the sound quality is great.
    It works as a pause button when an iPod is playing as well, hit it again to resume. The important part here is the iPod pausing which it does. I'm making due with what I have.....Holding the power button turns it off so....yeah. :confuse:
    I realize that hitting the Power button on the radio will pause the iPod. I've done that to stop play momentarily while talking to someone in the car or on my B/T... What I was saying is that the Power button is not a true power button, at least if you have the Nav system.

Also, I should not have to turn the radio off in order to pause the iPod. There should be a pause button available to me on the screen.

- Merg
    yea, i either hold down the MODE button on the steering wheel or a single press of the 'power' button to pause music. Without a dedicated "pause" button, the only annoyance is if i want to dig through the music to find another song to play, i have to manually turn the volume down to 0 if i don't want to hear the current song. Basically, as soon as you go to the ipod/aux area, the music will immediately start playing again (auto un-pause the ipod).
    Where did you see this "test" update on their site?

Its still listed under 2009 Sonata when doing a search on their site.

40-50% off would make it an easier pill to swallow.
  • Has any one tried connecting an external laptop HD to the USB port yet. I would think that it should work just like a flash drive but I don't want to go buy one and be wrong.
  • Didn't see this right away, sorry. Site is a little tough to get used to.

I tried a 32GB stick with 700 folders and 20+GB of music. It locked up the system with USB errors for any USB stick. How much music/ how many folders did you have?

Do you know anyone who's suceeded in finding out the limits? I had several other posts here asking similar questions. One answer said 128 folders; hopefully, that's not it.
  • LisaDLisaD Posts: 50
    Has anyone found a cable with some more length? I know BMW has some but they look even shorter.

I might buy a Santy would would like to mount the Iphone where "I" want it and I can't with this darned short cord. Maybe 2 cords could be spliced together???

Also, has anyone tried to rewire the USB/Aux box to behind the dash or anywhere else? I was thinking if I could remount it somewhere, having the cord in a permanent, hidden area.
    Has anyone found a cable with some more length? I know BMW has some but they look even shorter.

I might buy a Santy would would like to mount the Iphone where "I" want it and I can't with this darned short cord. Maybe 2 cords could be spliced together???

Also, has anyone tried to rewire the USB/Aux box to behind the dash or anywhere else? I was thinking if I could remount it somewhere, having the cord in a permanent, hidden area.

It might be possible to just get a straight USB extension cable and an extension cable for the audio jack part of the cable. I would aasume that the hardware for splitting those functions are done in the Hyundai cable so it shouldn't matter that the cable is being extended.

- Merg
  • You're looking for a simple USB extender (male on one end female on the other) Should be available online for several bucks; I use ebay as many of the cable companies ship for free. No haven't tried to move it, you might want to keep it original.
  • LisaDLisaD Posts: 50
    Thx. I experimented at the dealer today with my 3GS.

If I wanted to go to Aux to retain the iPhone's screen control, yet avoid decreasing sound quality by Aux'ing out the top headphone jack.....

Does anyone see a reason why this iPhone to 3.5mm wouldn't work to give me better sound?

http://www.amazon.com/inspiretech-iPhone-Auxilary-Audio-Cable/dp/B002ARDJZ4/ref=- sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250551066&sr=1-2
  • newowner10newowner10 Posts: 227
    I think it is all the same. I would believe the only diference would be the volume control will not be in the circuit.