Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Can't fault ya' for venting your frustrations. "Blowing off" is one function of these discussions. Take advantage of the "emoticons" such as :mad: , :cry: , :lemon: , and :( among others. ;)
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Please reference my full post #4173 on the "Toyota Camry - 2007+" thread within the Camry Forum; I am copying one of my paragraphs here:

7). Transmission - Most of the time, the 5-speed automatic shifted smoothly, but forget using the cruise control in hilly or mountainous terrain. While going up a fairly miminal grade in Ohio, the cruise control shifted down at least two gears, as the RPM went from 1,900RPM to 5,000RPM in a blink of an eye. On a level terrain it was perfectly fine, but I ended up not using the cruise most of the time, especially while in NY and PA. I think Toyota has a firmware issue here. Otherwise, I did not experience any of the spiking problems noted in this forum, and the drive-by-wire system felt quite natural.

Again, please refer to my entire post for contexual information, as this was an observation of our experience with a rental of a 2007 Camry SE 4-cylinder 5-speed automatic for a 1,500 mile trip to a family reunion in southwest NY last week.

I certainly observed the cruise control anomalies; surely, Toyota and the dealers know of the problem; if not, the manufacturer didn't conduct too much real world testing!
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I suppose people can manually shift down into 4th before setting the cruise control in a very hilly area to see if that takes care of the issue.
  • Options
    gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    I just returned from a 200 mile weekend trip with my 2007 SE V6 and the cruise control was flawless! On a steep grade, the car down shifted to fifth gear ONLY and this was not a hill but about a 30 degree rise. Also, we got about 37 miles to the gallon(CDN) driving at about 65-70 miles per hour with the cruise on all the time.
    We have about 1800 miles on the car and it runs great.
    Have a great day;
  • Options
    howardmdhowardmd Member Posts: 6
    I am curious. Is your transmission from US or Japan?
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Wasn't this downshifting problem only with the 4 cylinder models anyway? I thought the V6 models had a different transmission problem not related to the cruise control.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Correct, the cruise control issue is related to the 4 cylinder Camry. There have been no reported cruise issues on the 6 cylinder that I've seen.
  • Options
    mesquite57mesquite57 Member Posts: 59
    I bought an Audivox XM rcvr with a car kit. Bought a home kit. I use it on drives across the desert using the AUX input on my '07 XLE. Works great. Just leave the antenna on the dash. $70

You do need to buy a $17 Ground Loop isolator from Radio Shack to eliminate the electrical ground loop however if you use the aux input (1/8" jack). Otherwise you get buzzing/hissing noise.

The built in FM transmitter works well too but found much interference in So. Calif. with all the stations.
  • Options
    schaleffschaleff Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my camry a month ago and I am very annoyed at the amount of drift/pull it has on roads that are not flat. If there is a tilt either way it takes a "lot" of force to keep the car going straight and stopping it from drifting into another lane. So if I am in the fast lane I have to constantly push the wheel over to the right to keep it going strait on a strait road. This assumes the road tilts to the left for water drainage or whatever.

I have gone to the dealer. They found the back tire out of alignment slightly, but this did not fix the problem.

Is this just the way Camrys ride? Does anyone else feel this way? I bought it for safefy, but cannot let go of the wheel for a second as I don't know were the car will go. I feel very unsafe driving this car. I have owned 3 cars and non had this problem.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Mine drives fine but there is a TSB ST005-01, dated 11/16/01, which covers all 2002-2007 models.

It covers the diagnosis of whether it is tires or alignment and procedures to fix. Seems pretty straight forward analysis.
  • Options
    No, that is not normal, you have something else wrong. I've found the car extremely smooth and tracks straight. Take it back and have them check your car again. Ask the service mgr to go with you and drive it, if you have to.

For some reason, I've seen a couple of 2007's on the road that have the right rear noticeably out of alignment (camber). Don't know if that is the problem that you had or not.
  • Options
    eddiecruzeddiecruz Member Posts: 18
    I recently bought a 2007 Camry SE V6 and have been having the same problem. I feel as through I’m constantly fighting to keep the car straight at speeds of 50+. This is very disappointing to me after all the good reviews on the vehicle that I have been reading. I asked the dealer about it and they said that they need to recreate the problem (some mechanic racing on the freeways with my new car, remember Faris Bulers Day Off?). I’m betting that they will say that this is normal.

Anybody else have this issue?
  • Options
    I can take hands off the wheels at city or highway speeds, and car tracks straight..... have LE 4 cyl.
  • Options
    dachshundmandachshundman Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the opposite problems. I have the 4 cyl automatic and it seems like my transmission is always shifting. Especially when crusing at 30 to 45 miles per hour. It keeps upshifting and downshifting. And when you step on the gas, there's a second or two delayed reaction....like it can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. Then it will select a gear and usually change it within another second or two. Also, when I first got the car, I was getting 30.5 mpg (actually a bit disapointed with that...I've heard Camry's do much better and 90% of my driving is highway). Now at 6000 miles (when I would expect the mileage to be getting better after break in) it has dropped to 27.5 mpg. Anyone else experiencing tese conditions?
  • Options
    damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    I think all of the 4cyls are having problems with the cruise control and just shifting in general.It wont do you any good to go back to the dealership because they will tell you looks like a camry and drives like a camry. I have been to two dealerships and one toyota rep, but you need to go anyway and complain to them and also call up toyota customer service and complain to them. and just to let you no most of my driving in about 90% of hwy to mine is just like yours but now i am only 23.8 to 24.5 mpg it is terrible. and i am not hard on it either. I also am having bad hesitation problems that i am afraid it is a saftey factor and toyota didnt seem to care. Once again said it drives like a camry. For some reason they can avoid doing anything to your car if all the cars have the same problem i guess. Well i havent [non-permissible content removed] for about 2weeks since i met with the toyota rep because i am tired of dealing with toyota. but i am ready to get back into their [non-permissible content removed] and somehow find away to go over toyotas head and get something done about this. anyway good luck and stay in their [non-permissible content removed].
  • Options
    Has anybody found any kind of performance upgrades for the 4cyl camry? any programmers and chips?
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I think all of the 4cyls are having problems with the cruise control and just shifting in general.....

Wrong!!!

Mine is fine as I'm guessing the majority are.

and no rattles, squeaks, groans or other assorted noises. Reasonable gas mileage also.
  • Options
    I am glad that you got a good one. :)
  • Options
    just wondering if you can put pics of your car on here?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can do that on your CarSpace page - just click on the "My CarSpace" link at the upper left on this page. Then you can go to town!

But let's go to the general Camry discussion for posting pics and for questions about performance parts and such. We'll leave this one for reporting and discussing problems.

Have fun with CarSpace - it's very cool!
  • Options
    comuscomus Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2002 XLE Camry, it has always drifted to the left.
    190,000 miles on it, all I have ever done is change the oil and put tires on it. I purchased an 07 XLE 6 weeks ago, the transmission went out within 3 days. I was caught up in the problematic transmission saga. Toyota is building me a new one. Cant wait.
  • Options
    I purchased an 07 XLE 6 weeks ago, the transmission went out within 3 days. I was caught up in the problematic transmission saga. Toyota is building me a new one. Cant wait.
    comus,

Was your XLE a V6 or a 4 cylinder? If it was a V6 did you have the snap ring problem?? Can you share with us what specifically you mean "the transmission "went out" "? What exactly were the symptoms? And how is it that they ordered a new car for you immediately? It sounds like the car was totally undriveable.

I've been having RPM flaring (spiking) problems with mine for two months now and I'm still in arbitration with Toyota.
  • Options
    I was just wonder if Toyota has help anybody out with the 4 cyl camry with the hesitation problem and the tranny? MY wife just bought a new honda accord a couple weeks ago and she traded in a 05 scion tc. Well anyway I complained to our honda saleman about my camry. Well today I went there to drop off the spare key for the scion. Well he was in the middle of selling a accord but the couple was considering a camry to. SO anyway he was telling them about my problem and I just happen to show up at the same time. Well make a long story short I let them test drive my camry. Well they came back and bought the accord. They didnt like the BIG hesitation problem i have and the shifting of gears and i told them to take it on the highway and set the cruise for 70mph. WEll anyway they decided they like the accord better.
    So I guess i got one on toyota. IF they would fix the problem i wouldnt be bitter.
  • Options
    camryfan1camryfan1 Member Posts: 17
    I don't follow this discussion much anymore but I did read your comment on Camry's right rear camber. I was happy to read that this is finally being noticed by others. I mentioned it a few times earlier in this discussion but was "blown off." There is excessive negative camber on the right rear of many of the camrys. Correct rear alignment is crucial for straight tracking of a vehicle.
  • Options
    ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    How come when I use the sport-shift and come to a stop, the car doesn't automatically go down to 1st gear. My TSX goes down to 1st gear when the car stops. Is it suppose to be like that or is there a flaw in my car?
  • Options
    moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    The Camry does not indicate which gear it is in. The gear you are seeing is the top gear that it will shift up to. For instance, if it says 4, it will use any gear that it wants to between 1 and 4. If it says 2, it'll only use gears 1 and 2.
  • Options
    I believe comus indicated his new Camry was an 07 XLE 6.
  • Options
    does the 6 speed transmission shif up and down alot like the 5 speed tranny in the 4cyl?
  • Options
    eddiecruzeddiecruz Member Posts: 18
    I went to the dealer yesterday, left the vehicle there all day, came back and they told me "that’s just the way it drives". Drifting is something that according to the service techs is normal for the SE. Now I'm starting to get a little pissed. I called Toyota customer service and they told me that what the dealer says goes. So now I'm stuck.
    What to do? :mad:
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. I have a SE and it doesnt drift you can let go of the stering wheel and it goes as straight as the road goes. but i do have other issues with the car. Do you have any other issues with ur SE?
  • Options
    eddiecruz,

See my post #158 (put that number in the box above).

When you get a case number assigned Toyota should send you information for filing an arbitration case with the National Center for Dispute Settlement. FILE IT!! and go through the arbitration. Just keep a log of everything you've done and go to the arbitration in person...not over the phone. We are in the process of that right now.

You shouldn't have to put up with a "that's the way it works" answer.
  • Options
    yorkdaneyorkdane Member Posts: 6
    Well, I picked up my car on Friday. The dealership put in a new transmission (per Toyota's instruction and after a lot of back and forth between them and the dealership - apparently it took the dealership a while to convince them that there was something wrong with the car - even after the computer reprogrammings, the valve body replacement, etc...) and I am having absolutely no problems with the car now. It drives like it did when I bought it.

For those of you still having problems like I was, the service manager told me that Toyota quit using the original manufacturer of the transmissions, and now has a new one - which is what I now have in my car. So, now we all know that THEY know there is a problem.

Hopefully, my car will continue driving the way it's driving. If any of you need any more information - respond to this message and I'll see if I can't get what you need.
  • Options
    "For those of you still having problems like I was, the service manager told me that Toyota quit using the original manufacturer of the transmissions, and now has a new one - which is what I now have in my car."

That's funny that the service manager would tell you that. Toyota has always built their own automobile automatic transmissions. (Truck transmissions and 4-wheel drive transfer cases have been farmed out to Aisin when appropriate.) This from a press release in late 2005 about a completed expansion of Toyota's Georgetown, KY plant:

"By 2006, Toyota will have the annual capacity to build 1.66 million cars and trucks, 1.44 million engines, and 600,000 automatic transmissions [emphasis mine] in North America."

Of course Toyota builds automatic transmissions in Japan, too, so maybe your original tranny was replaced with a Japan-built unit. Even these replacements have gone sour according to previous posts, so be ready to take the issue up with your dealer again if necessary.
  • Options
    yorkdane,

I seriously doubt that Toyota simply switched manufacturers of their transmissions. The U.S. site for building those is in Buffalo NY. They just set up that site a year ago as cited in an article in a W. Virginia newspaper last year.

It would take about a year to move manufacturing of a system like a transmission from one site to another with all of the tooling, test equipment, training, facilities requirements, Supply chain issues etc.

In other words, I don't believe your service manager if he actually said that.

Having said that, it is entirely possible that there is another site, maybe in Japan, that is ALREADY manufacturing transmissions and they are getting them from there. But "corton" had the RPM flaring issue with his Japan-built Camry XLE V6 so I don't think it matters where the tranny comes from. Also, four people have had their trannys replaced only to experience the problem again!

I believe Toyota is still "shooting in the dark" with fixes. I hope your transmission continues to work well after the 500 mile period that this problem seems to kick in at.
  • Options
    mov4wrdmov4wrd Member Posts: 9
    It was said, “If you’re buying a Toyota, buyer beware” Hello! Buyer beware should be applied to EVERYTHING you buy, and all the time. The following has also been said, but I’m really surprised by the number of people who don’t satisfactorily research or road test a vehicle (second biggest purchase most people ever make!), then later complain about something of which they should have been fully aware???
    I was a Toyota technician, service advisor, service manager from 1982 to 1999, and my wife has been a Toyota CR and office manager for more than two decades. The complaints on here do not represent the masses; you’ll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time – no matter what you do. Toyota does better than most. In a recent post, when the customer didn’t want to hear that the I4 automatic Camry was operating as designed, Toyota replaced the transmission, and guess what, the car behaved exactly the same, and the customer still trashes Toyota; know what you’re buying! If you don’t want the shifting, buy a vehicle with a higher torque to weight ratio, or get a vehicle with a CVT!
    I remember when Camry came out in 1983, with the little 13” wheels, and the hunting transmission and cruise that wouldn’t hold speed – there were lots of those complaints. I remember what Toyota suggested as a response: “Isn’t great though when you fill up your tank and you realize how far you’ve gone on so little gas? Your car does this shifting because it’s trying to always be in the most fuel efficient gear – that’s how you get X mpg”. A similar explanation was given for the cruise losing speed on hills; they lose speed on hills because of lack of torque in a small engine, but the transmissions weren’t as busy as today’s. That said - comparing vehicles from year to year is apples to oranges by the way - the same basic situation exists. The 2007’s CD. Of .28 is far better than previous models, but you’re still trying to move 3300+ lbs. with 2.4 liters, on 87 octane, and get the best performance/gas mileage possible, a very TALL order. The engine must always be at what the engineers have determined optimal rpm’s, given the conditions, to get the best mpg = busy shifting. The “conditions” are determined on the fly via software, which explains why perceived “problems” vary with different driving situations. With every movement of the gas pedal, input from road speed, engine temp. ambient temp. air flow meter sensor, present gear/lock up convertor, and probably more that I’m forgetting, are considered before your car reacts. These cars aren’t responsive, but they’re performing the way they were designed. I didn’t experience the flare or spike some describe when I drove it. Can a software upgrade be done? Quite possibly, but with 9.8 to 1 compression, any real performance changes could require a bump in required fuel octane. Remember, this slight delayed response is in part the fuel system giving the engine fuel in a slightly more gradual way, rather than the immediate and wasteful blast of fuel like older less sophisticated systems did; this reduces emissions (carbon dioxide), something we should all be very concerned about, and it increases mpg.
    We have driven the I4 camry and my wife plans to get one soon. We’re aware of the performance issues, we may accept them, or we may get the 5 spd manual.
    Of all the I4 automatic camrys sold, Toyota has had very few transmission performance complaints, and there are no new manufacturers as was previously stated. Other carmakers are hearing complaints about drive-by-wire electronic transmissions too, maybe that’s why CVTs are growing in popularity…give me a manual anyday.
    Lastly, remember, unlike most manufacturers, Toyota tries to look for, investigate, understand, and resolve problems before the NHTSA even gets involved. I’m not “pro” Toyota, but they are poised to take over the number one auto manufacturer spot, and it’s not by accident. We own a 2001 Tacoma S-Runner and 3 BMWs.
  • Options
    Nice speach not convinced at all, My camry is terrible and i get worse and worse gas mileage. My wife new honda accord get about 8 to 10 mpg than mine.
  • Options
    Not convinced of what? I'm not telling you that you should feel a certain way, or that all Camrys are great, I'm just providing more information than has been available so that some may have a higher level of understanding. If you'd rather complain than try to understand, be my guest, but complaining while being mis or uninformed wastes everybody's time.
    Either you didn't research your car, or you got one that really has problems; I would bet that it's the former.
    Lastly, 4 cylinder Camrys are literally flying off the lot at our local dealer, if you hate yours so, SELL IT! Life is too short to hate what you drive, and there are people in line waiting to buy your car.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you've got a great handle.

some of the posters had no issue and then thousands of miles into ownership their situation became evident.

i don't believe for a moment these vehicles are performing as designed.
  • Options
    Good Evening everyone;
    Well, I am going to add my 2 cents CDN to this discussion. I agree, that when buying a new car, take the time to drive it and remember how it drives and try to take away the "excitement" of the new car buying experience. We have a 2007 Camry V6SE and it shifts exactly like all other "drive by wire" automobiles that I own. I posted earlier that we got 37 miles to the gallon on a recent weekend trip and the car only has 2000 miles on it! If I want perforamce, I slap the shifter into manual mode and forget about 5th and 6th gears!
    I don't know what else to say, we have owned Hondas(not as good as Nissan and Toyota) and this car is great! I never would buy a 4 cylinder Camry as what was stated is true, not enough of anything in the motor to make the drive enjoyable and as I have stated, the mileage on our V6 is as good.
    Actually, we traded in a 2003 Corolla and this Camry, gets better gas mileage.
    If the car doesn't perform like you think it should, SELL IT! It's a Toyota, and you will get a very good price for it and you can then buy something that you think suits your driving style.
    Anyway, have a great day and don't loose any sleep over an automobile. :)
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Which vehicles?
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    mov4wrd,

You state:

"Of all the I4 automatic Camrys sold, Toyota has had very few transmission performance complaints..."

How would you know this? Can you validate this assertion with proof? What would qualify as "very few"? Have you done a random survey of Toyota dealerships? Are there actual figures available from Toyota to confirm this? If so, that would be very helpful to those of us considering a purchase of a new Camry.
  • Options
    I know because as I mentioned, my wife has been customer relations manager for Toyota for more than two decades; she has viewed the complaints on the car (I don't have the details), we have thoroughly roadtested it, and she is still interested in getting one. However, we may wait to see what "alternate fuel" vehicles Toyota has for 08; I can already hear the complaints of ethanol fuel milage.

The car is not perfect; every engineering decision carries a compromise/trade-off. If you're interested in a car, go in knowing more than the salesman. Garner ALL the information you can from road test articles, consumer reports, road test one extensively, and make your own informed decision; anything less and you're setting yourself up for disappointments - like many of those describe in this forum.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    giantkiller,

see the link in this post:
    gws, "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" #2277, 25 Nov 2005 1:35 pm

to my knowlege on Toyota vehicles, hesitation has been reported by owners of these toyota/lexus models:
    Camry
    Highlander
    Avalon
    (Sienna - I've seen a few postings...but not many)
    Lexus ES-series

For others:
    Toureg and Passat I believe I've seen a few, also a few Honda, but you just don't see the frequency of posts (from owners) for these manufacturer's models.

This suggests some differences in DBW over direct-linkage, but what the owners report for the toyota/lexus vehicles is no hesitation to hesitation from barely noticeable to significant.
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    "Actually, we traded in a 2003 Corolla and this Camry, gets better gas mileage".

Did you get gas mileage from your SE V6 on down hill road or jacked up the car spinning the wheels ?? :confuse:
  • Options
    HI cam2003;
    No, it wasn't "jacked" up! From my previous post #941:

"I just returned from a 200 mile weekend trip with my 2007 SE V6 and the cruise control was flawless! On a steep grade, the car down shifted to fifth gear ONLY and this was not a hill but about a 30 degree rise. Also, we got about 37 miles to the gallon(CDN) driving at about 65-70 miles per hour with the cruise on all the time. "
    Also, a couple of times I had the Camry up to about 100 miles an hour, doing some 2 lane passing.
    Again, our 2003 Corolla didn't get as good gas mileage at those speeds!
    Have a great day! :)
  • Options
    jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    I purchased a 2007 4cyl camry March 06. I have experienced the hesitation many times when stepping on the gas and watch the transmission jump into a lower gear when going over low overpasses. Two Toyota Regional tech. reps have acknowledged the problem after test drives with me. So has the dealer service manager. When I called the 1-800-331-4331 Toyota Customer Experience number I really got an experience they played dumb and told me they could do nothing for me. Alot of people have the problem but no one who works for Toyota wants to publicy talk about it.
  • Options
    diycamrydiycamry Member Posts: 1
    Mines has the thunk sound too. It happens about 100 yards once I start driving in the morning.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    If you don't have the details, it's still an assertion with no evidence to back it up. In this case, it would take some hard numbers to prove your case. Those don't seem to be forthcoming.
  • Options
    jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    I have been trying to get Toyota to give me an explanation like you just wrote, but they refuse to admit to any problem what so ever! Which indicates to me a cover up in a BIG way! No I do not believe in the Easter bunny. Did you ever work at the Toyota Customer Experience Center?
  • Options
    the gas mileage is great better than my 07 se 4cyl which i only get 23.8 and i drive 90% hwy. Use to get around 28 to 30 mpg but last 4 times of fill up 23.7 to 23.8. NOt very good