Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Hawk,

What month was your car manufactured (drivers door jamb), and when did you buy the car?
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Toyota has admitted that there was an issue or 'glitch' with the Camry 5A ECM's programming and has produced a fix accordingly that has satisfied nearly all who complained of such issues.

Uh, not quite. They have satisfied 7 or so out of the 10 or so people that posted on this thread who had the TSB performed. And we have yet to know how the long term results will be for those 7, so I wouldn't jump the gun just yet with this "fix".

I wouldn't make the general statement that this fix "has satisfied nearly all who complained" for quite awhile, or until more info comes out. Do you have access to all the owners who complained about this issue nation-wide?

Obviously, this problem is more wide-spread among the Camrys than several here would care to admit, based off of the press release and TSB. There's no way Toyota is going to go to these lengths for just a handful of people on Edmunds. They are clearly hearing it from scores of owners and are obviously concerned.
  • Options
    jamiecarjamiecar Member Posts: 17
    Just got the call from the service manager at my local dealership..... apparently the TSB for the I4 5 speed AT hesitation problem is now available in Canada (about 2 1/2 weeks after the U.S. just as we assumed :) ). An ECM reflash will be performed this afternoon on my 2007 Camry. Keeping my fingers crossed, I'll let you guys know how it works out.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I am interested in either the 07 Camry 4 cylinder or Hybrid. I know 4 people who had purchased the 07 Camry. Two friends and the other two are my father's colleague. All but one bought the V6. None of them have any issues with their cars and when I mentioned the hesitation issue they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I also asked the dealer about the issue and he told me they haven't done any TSBs yet even though it is available to them for those who need it. My point is that it isn't nearly as widespread as some people claim it is. Toyota wouldn't be selling as many cars as they do every year if all their transmission was this bad.
  • Options
    motown,

look at what you just wrote. Of course they don't have the 4 cylinder tranny problem....you just said yourself that all but one bought the V6.
  • Options
    Toyota wouldn't be selling as many cars as they do every year if all their transmission was this bad.

This is a very flawed argument.

Fact: today's sales are based off of past reliability records. Since most of these tranny problems have been popping up in the latest models (Highlander, Avalon, Rav4 - just this year, and Camry - just this year), it will still take some time for the problems to catch up to toyota, if they go unchecked. It's not going to be an overnight thing, but it will affect future sales if changes aren't made soon.

Just ask hyundai. No matter how reliable the current offerings may be, people still judge them based off of their early offerings. Their sales numbers are not what they could be based off of past perception.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Do you actually own a Camry ? or for that matter any other Toyota product ? My family and a lot of my friends DO own Toyotas and that include the one's with the so called hesitation problem ? And guess what; just about all them are extremely happy with their purchases. You draw conclusions based on internet ranting I draw conclusion based on REAL world ownership.
  • Options
    If you've read any of my other posts, you'd realize I and my family have all been toyota lifers to this point. My regular car is a '97 Corolla that I've never had a problem with and love. My other car is an '05 Highlander that has had the hesitation issue from day one. Prior to the Highlander I had an '03 Rav4 which suffered from numerous squeaks and rattles that plagued the prior generation.

Up until this point, I would never even look at another make of car when I was in the market. Sadly, that is no longer the case and I fear that unless these quality issues are dealt with, I will be forced to look elsewhere.

I post here because when the '07 Camrys came out, I instantly fell in love and knew it was the car I wanted to replace the Corolla. I have since rented one and test drove a few others. All have exhibited the hesitation, and numerous squeaks and rattles. I cannot tolerate this any more.....simple as that.

So I can say without hesitation that I too draw conclusions based on REAL world ownership.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Automotive News reports Toyota has tackled a problem with the 2007 Camry's accelerator software. In four-cylinder Camrys, the software allegedly learns the driver's style, and those drivers with a frugal right foot get less response over time. Sudden demands for power – like a quick shift into the passing lane – can confuse the system and leave drivers with less power than they need.

Toyota has issued service bulletins for software upgrades for Camrys on the road; those built since early October have been upgraded, Automotive News reports.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    which raises the question in my mind... what does the V6 w/6SPD transmission designs do? do they also "learn" the driver's style? if not, why not, but if so, why don't they also exhibit the same hesitation?

it makes one wonder.
  • Options
    silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    Based on my limited test drive experience - some of the 6 cyl also do suffer the same hesitation.

I've checked the yahoo forums and saw several v6 07 owners complain (more vociferously than in this forum) about this hesitation.

So why has Toyota not released a patch for v6? maybe fewer people have complained. Maybe because the a larger portion of the v6 drivers will be a hair more 'spirited' in their driving, the computer learns to stay in a more responsive mode - just a hair-brained guess mind you...

Great car, teething pains I hope, though several post aledge this problem exist in other models and have for a few years now.

Is this an uncommon problem in other brands?
  • Options
    Makes you wonder - Toyota have said they want to lower the average age of Toyota owners, and as most older people drive "frugally", I suppose this is Toyota's discreet way of eliminating older owners... They get wiped out when the cars "leave (frugal) drivers with less power than they need." and presto, the average owner age goes down!

Just a bad joke of course.

I wonder why this fix has not been applied to the Avalons which have had this problem going back to March 2005, and why not the V6 Camrys?

Comments TMSUSA?
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    why has Toyota not released a patch for v6? maybe fewer people have complained
    seriously doubt that fewer preople have complained, they already had sold 150000 Avalons and who knows how many RAVs and Highlanders, before the Camry was even out. The 5 speed hesitation issues seem to center on what can occur on heavy reapplication of throttle after coastdown to lower speeds. The Avalon, Highlander, RAV4, and Camry I4 all seem to report similar problems and would seem logical that it is most bothersome in the power challenged Camry. The 6 speed has reported some delays in between gears during acceleration (so called 'spiking') sounding more like an actual transmission problem as opposed to a software problem. Wondering whether the recent TSB for the Camry 5 speed would 'work' for the 5 speeds in the other products, whether it is simply a 'reset', the problem to reappear, and whatever implications all this has on this like FE.
    And no this is NOT unique to Toyotas - by a long shot
  • Options
    You are right Captain. When the ECU is reset which can be accomplished by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, the ECU returns to its factory default state and for a while the car runs properly, until it "learns" itself back into a state of confusion.
    The jury is still out on whether the TSB actually fixes the problem, or whether the improvement in performance is temporary and as a result of the reset.
    Solution seems obvious - dispense with this "learning" logic and have a consistent and predictable shift map like they used to. I never complained about my old 4 speed Toyota transmissions on our older Avalon, Sienna and Camry - they were all perfect. These learning transmissions are an answer to a question nobody asked, and obviously something that nobody wants.
  • Options
    07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    EG038-06 2GR-FE (V6) ENGINE OIL LEAK (REVISED)

BO019-06 CENTER CONSOLE DOOR INOPERATIVE

PD108-06 SMART KEY SYSTEM CHECK DURING PDS

PD004-06 2007 MY CAMRY PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE (PDS) (REVISED)

PD004-06 2007 MY CAMRY PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE (PDS) Checklist (REVISED)
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "I've checked the yahoo forums and saw several v6 07 owners complain (more vociferously than in this forum) about this hesitation. ... Is this an uncommon problem in other brands?" ((

Yes and no. As the owner (and only driver) of an '03 Sonata V6, I've noted that if I PUNCH the accelerator pedal hard to the floorboard, there'll be a noticeable time lag before the transmission decides to downshift. (sound familiar? ;)) But, if I stop short of actual floor contact with the pedal, the transmission will nearly instantly downshift as the engine responds likewise - and once I'm in the lower appropriate gear, flooring the pedal at that point will only result in a faster climb of make-busy RPMs to more quickly accelerate. It took me awhile to discover this ideosyncracy, but now I use it to advantage without further thought when I need additional oomph. And, yes, Hyundai automatics use adaptive learning (and grade-logic descent control when the cruise control is engaged.) If I had any disappointment with my Hyundai's A/T, it was the first cold-start shiftshock (we're talking "10" on the Richter scale - even under gentle acceleration) as 2nd gear transitions to 3rd gear - but only the first shift of those gears after cold startup. The dealer's service manager said the transmission's adaptive learning design would correct that 2-3 gearchange anomaly very gradually. At about the three-year mark, that's exactly what finally happened. Sometimes these bozos do actually get it right. :D

(Would I buy another Hyundai? Probably not - which is one reason I participate on this, as well as the Accord discussions. But, I don't regret my purely cost-influenced decision, either.)
  • Options
    toy6toy6 Member Posts: 1
    It is definitely not just a few people having this problem. There MIGHT be some 2007 Camry 4-cylinder owners that aren't having the problem (one owner I read about a couple of months back said their vehicle was supposedly built in Japan, not the U.S. - so hopefully that is not where the problem lies). Anyway, if there really has been a TSB issued, our dealership has not notified us (as they said they would as soon as they received one). They were on the phone with Toyota and tried various things over a 4-hr. time period and couldn't get anything figured out to address the problem. They reset the sensors twice, after two visits back to them, but evidently by the time we got out of the parking lot, they were back to the same settings as original because it still hesitates at the lower speeds or going from stop, especially if a small incline is involved. This is our 6th Toyota and we have never experienced anything SO aggrevating, especially when maneuvering in rush hour traffic.
  • Options
    Solution seems obvious - dispense with this "learning" logic Think I agree, whoever out there decided we needed 'intelligent cars'?
    That said, however - it is some of this technology that has transformed my Avalon (and I'm sure the new Camry V6) into something that it has never been before - a powerful and fun car to drive that also happens to get rather phenomenal FE.
    I'm following this forum largely because the host has 'killed' the Avalon forums, and trying to get some info on whether it might be possible to have my cake and eat it too.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not be. In the meanwhile, I have adjusted my driving style accordingly and do not find the behavior objectionable enough that I would compromise any of those 3 things listed above that I do like about the car so much.
  • Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    "Uh, not quite. They have satisfied 7 or so out of the 10 or so people that posted on this thread who had the TSB performed. And we have yet to know how the long term results will be for those 7, so I wouldn't jump the gun just yet with this "fix".

I wouldn't make the general statement that this fix "has satisfied nearly all who complained" for quite awhile, or until more info comes out. Do you have access to all the owners who complained about this issue nation-wide?

Obviously, this problem is more wide-spread among the Camrys than several here would care to admit, based off of the press release and TSB. There's no way Toyota is going to go to these lengths for just a handful of people on Edmunds. They are clearly hearing it from scores of owners and are obviously concerned.
    "

Really beantown? Are you serious about talking about this again? As I've said, I'm just reporting back what has been said thus far about TSB EG056-06 and it has been quite successful whether you like it or not. Yes, some owners didn't notice problems until a few thousand miles of ownership, but some did. And until they post otherwise, being honest and repeating what they say is the fact. I've haven't claimed this TSB nor this car to be perfect. No car ever will be.

So, as an 07 Camry I4 5A owner who had this TSB performed last week because of ALL the positive feedback (though, I didn't notice any problems), I can admit that the tranny is even smoother than it was and still no hesitation. So, As an OWNER, I'll tell you and anyone that this TSB has been very successful thus far.

As for your Hylander's hesitation problem. Why don't you keep talking about it in the hylander threads with other Hylander owners and maybe something will be done as well. Afterall, this is a Camry forum.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    alan s wrote: "Automotive News reports Toyota has tackled a problem with the 2007 Camry's accelerator software. In four-cylinder Camrys, the software allegedly learns the driver's style, and those drivers with a frugal right foot get less response over time. Sudden demands for power – like a quick shift into the passing lane – can confuse the system and leave drivers with less power than they need."

This is where I have a big problem with the "learning transmission" argument here. I also have a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES with a "learning" electronically-controlled 4-speed automatic transmission, and I've never had to teach "myself" how to drive this vehicle. Both my wife and I regularly drive the van, and we've never experienced any drivability anomalies with this transmission. Learning transmissions are not new technology per se; Toyota's implementation yes, but the basic conceptual design - no.

Personally, I don't think it's so much of a Toyota "learning transmission" problem, rather a real problem with the firmware for the drive-by-wire throttle. Hence, the reflashing TSB.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The only firmware solution possible is to totally eliminate the lift-throttle, throttle fully closed, upshifting of the transaxles.

For the RX series they started using that technique, for sure, with the 2001 model year, possibly earlier. While the use of this technique would undoubtedly be beneficial to FE, I have come to quite firmly believe that it is being used, predominantly, to alleviate instances of loss of directional control due to engine compression braking should the roadbed happen to be somewhat slippery.

Ford Motor Company has just been granted a patent which appears to impinge, be important, in this regard. The patent involves the use of a technique whereby a hybrid vehicle's regenerative braking effort is significantly reduced if the prevailing OAT hovers near or below freezing.

Within the same patent a technique is described wherein regenerative braking is disabled the instance ABS activates.

If regenerative braking, already lowered due to OAT, can still interfere with ABS activation, how can anyone say that ICE compression braking would not, most especially with FWD? Not saying this to denigrate FWD especially, but the fact of the matter is that ABS is much more important at the front wheels since the front brakes do provide ~70-80 of the braking HP.

So IMMHO Toyota and Lexus are "hobbled" by the EPA and CARB with regards the FE improvement, and most likely the automotive insurance industry with regards the improved safety of FWD or front biased AWD via use of the lift-throttle coastdown upshift technique.

Within the PR news of the new Ford Edge, also a FWD or front biased AWD SUV, there is a note indicating it is equipped with a variable displacement ATF pump to improve efficiency.

In the past the greatest "challenge" for the ATF pump was to provide enough pressure/flow for quick and firm upshifting during acceleration. Big DEAL. The engine is always at a fairly high RPM during "these" upshifts.

Now that Toyota and Lexus have adopted this lift-throttle upshifting technique the transaxle will often need to preform two shift sequences in quick succession.

Example: The driver lifts the accelerator pedal fully just long enough for the transaxle to begin an upshift. The engine RPM quickly drops to idle but now the driver re-applies pressure, a significant level of pressure, to the accelerator pedal.

Since the ATF pump capacity with the engine at idle cannot provide enough pressure/flow the DBW system has been adopted (RX350) so the onset of engine torque could be delayed until enough pressure/flow is provided.

Rather than increase the FIXED pumping capacity of the ATF pump and suffer the horrible loss of transaxle efficiency thereby, Ford has chosen to use a variable displacement pump. HIGH volume during shift sequences and low volume, or maybe even zero volume at times.

My guess is that we will not see a final fix for the delay/hesitation symptom until Toyota and Lexus adopt a like or simuliar. ATF pressure/flow "make-up" technique.
  • Options
    Perhaps I am seeing this too simplistically, but it would appear that logic to avoid compression braking on FWD (which is only hazardous in snow or rain) would be be better determined by using the same logic as ABS - if the front wheels are turning more slowly than the rears, then the front wheels are slipping, and only then shift the transmission to neutral. In other words, all this "safety logic" should be set to kick in at certain thresholds, not all the time.
    I was reading an old 2002 copy of a Car and Driver road test of a Lexus IS300 and LS430 and they mentioned this hesitation in both vehicles, so I don't think this affects only Toyota's FWD vehicles. Is it really intentionally implemented to avoid FWD compression braking or for some other reason?
  • Options
    When braking, most especially severe/panic braking, the front wheels, accounting for the majority of braking, almost ALWAYS turn slower than the rear. That's why ABS is disabled when the center diff'l is locked on a 4WD/4X4.

The ABS control firmware "watches" the rate at which each individual wheel is slowing due to braking and if one, two, or all slow faster than a target rate based on initial entry speed, vehicle weight, etc, the wheel(s) with impending lockup has/have the brake released momentarily. All this is happening hundreds of times per second so the relatively slow shifting transaxle would have had to be in neutral as soon as the brakes were applied.

If the transaxle could be shifted into neutral in as short a moment as the ABS' electric solenoid can release brake pressure then yes, your idea would work.

There are really two desparate times, instances, wherein upshifting will occur that might result in the need for a following quick downshift.

The first and foremost of those we have all encountered virtually forever, or for at least as long as automatic transmissions have been around. That is when it is the driver's actual intent to entry cruising mode, simple drive along at the currently attained speed. Now think about how few times you do that and then suddenly, quickly, change your mind and decide you wish to accelerate, quickly, no less.

Rare, yes, but those do occur.

Prior to the adoption of this lift-throttle upshifting technique I am quite confident that most if not all automatic transmissions, on FULL lift-throttle, would remain in the currently selected gear ratio. In the past FULL lift-throttle would almost always indicate a desire to coast down to a lower speed and most of us, for all that time, considered the resulting engine compression braking to be an asset, if we even considered, thought about it, at all.

What has happened is that these new transaxles quickly upshift on any lift-throttle situation. So if you intent was for only a momentary coastdown then now when you re-apply the gas you will oftentimes encounter the delay/hesitation.

Give us back our clutch pedal seems to be the only obvious solution.

Test drive a BMW X3 and "FEEL" the STRONG engine compression braking effect at 60 MPH in FULL lift-throttle.
  • Options
    jamiecarjamiecar Member Posts: 17
    Hey guys..... had the ECM on my 2007 Camry reflashed yesterday afternoon as per the TSB that came out (in Canada on Oct. 18/06). The car seems to accelerate a little better but I'm still experiencing some hesitation. The "flat spot" that was evident when slowing down and reaccelerating has disappeared. I'm hoping the little hesitation that is left is just part of the "learning" process. I don't have the actual TSB number yet nor do I know the wording of it..... will let you know when I find out.
  • Options
    Just thinking out loud.

Why couldn't toyota use the DBW system to match engine RPM to current gear ratio/roadspeed upon FULL lift-throttle and thereby eliminate engine compression braking?

Adverse effect on FE so probably not.

Then again look how rare these instances seem to be, FULL lift-throttle coastdowns vs partial lift-throttle for entering cruising mode. If nothing else this technique could be used for the first few hundred milliseconds of FULL lift-throttle, thereby delaying the transaxle upshift, in case a quick return to acceleration is indicated.

But then how would drivers react to the resulting engine RPM "flare" during FULL lift-throttle events?

Worrisome.
  • Options
    Sounds feasible.
  • Options
    Agreed - what a mess Pat made of the Avalon forums, sorry Pat nothing personal. :confuse: It is like trying to read a phone directory and I'd rather not.
  • Options
    workingstiffworkingstiff Member Posts: 13
    I spoke to the service manager at my Toyota dealership today. I asked if he had heard of the TSB for the hesitation. He was genuinely
    startled and said "for this model?". He had not realized the 07 Camry had the problem. Then he said that he believed the car took about 800-1000 kilometres( this is Canada, so divide by 1.6, or 500-600 miles)to learn the driver's style, and he suggested that instead of the gentle break-in I have begun that I drive as aggressively as I normally would so the car doesnt think it has a wimp at the wheel.

I did that for the rest of the day - much more fun. No hesitation so far.

Also, this wouldnt apply to most of this forum's readers but he added that many people with automatic transmissions never use the gearbox and have no idea how much more responsive the car can be.

He drives the V6. I rather wish I did.

Hope this info may be useful.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'm fairly sure the "learning" which is done is done pretty quickly. it would have to be this way, otherwise the multiple driver problem arises... i would think classification of the driver would happen within a few stop-and-go cycles.

now then driving it agressively may help short-term learning by classifying you in a such a manner as to counter-act a suspected lean condition on quick throttle application - and perhaps mitigate the hesitation, but that would mean you'd be contradicting the whole effort to improve FE with the smart programming.

but - if your vehicle is more responsive, till they get the programming refined, maybe you've got a workable solution.

i'd wager people with the problem would gladly toss the extra MPG or two to have a responsive vehicle.

i highly doubt people with ATs are gonna embrace using the shifter. i think that's a bad idea for most folks but if it works for you... you don't know if it may have transmission longevity consequences though.

interestingly the manufacturer and some dealer reps seem to have been advising drivers to take it easy on the accelerator. you're service manager's advise and your observation is a bit contrary to the tide.

it therefore may be very helpful to others. let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is specifically for difficulties with the 2007 Camry - of any sort.

Those of you who have other subjects - and vehicles - on your mind, please find or create an appropriate discussion.

Thanks!
  • Options
    bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I had to have all 4 rotors replaced in my '07 Camry with 11,750 miles on it. come to learn that rotors are only covered to 12,000 miles. Saved a quick $600 by getting it in early, before the 12,000 mark. They were not real bad but at 60 mph they thumped a bit. Just a heads up. they said it is very common.
  • Options
    07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Production Change Info added for the ECM Calibration.

This TSB will not apply to VIN #s effective as noted below:

TMMK Line 1 - 4T1BE46K#7U080051
    TMMK Line 2 - 4T1BE46K#7U599506
    Japan - JTNBE46K#973061622
  • Options
    8up8up Member Posts: 4
    I own an 07 Camry se V6 6 sp. It is my first new car. I thought I was getting one of the best cars on the road. Looks good, feels good, kickin stereo, good name and quality. But the transmission, What can I say. Everyday I leave the house , The tranny will slip from 3rd to 4th shift only one time. Will overrev up to 600 rpm over what it should be , after that it's ok. Till the next day. It does this everyday almost.I thought it might be a break-in thing so I wait till oil change time. went to the dealer about it, about 3500 miles on the ticker ,They could not duplicate the problem. So I wait till second oil change. Had the dealer try again about 7000 miles. They feel it this time. They replace the transmission valve body. Problem is gone for about a week and then returns. The dealer now says they need to replace the tranny. Will take 2-4 weeks. I get it back in 10 days. The new tranny does the same thing again but now after it sits for a couple hours and overnight. Take it back to the dealer again and they have it for 5 days and cannot duplicate the problem. So I drive it till the next oil change again. Now I take it in 10-16-06 About 11000 miles and complain again. Now they have duplicated the problem and tried shimming a valve of some sort and that did not work so geuss what? I will get another new transmission! Will I have to keep doing this ? I don't think so!!
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well you have been extremely patient, hope the 5th time at repair is the charm!
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Y'all are FAMOUS :-)

Toyota makes Camry fix

Toyota Camry sales haven't been hesitating, but Camry powertrains have, says Automotive News. A raft of consumer complaints and negative postings on Internet chat rooms such as Edmunds.com forced Toyota engineers to find out why 2007 Camry engines tend to bog down at critical moments. After all, it's not good for the best-selling car in America to lose power when it's needed most.

According to one dealer service technician, the new Camry has a drive-by-wire system that "learns" driver behaviors. If an owner drives placidly, the software that controls the four-cylinder engine and five-speed automatic transmission is not ready for a sudden change in behavior. That includes flooring the gas pedal to get out of a dangerous situation.

So rather than responding to an abrupt need for more power, the engines and transmissions have tended to hesitate, according to postings on the Internet. Toyota has issued a technical-service bulletin outlining a software modification that can be done at dealerships, spokesman John Hanson said.

"We tuned the engine for an increase in horsepower," he said. "We should have done it for driveability to match everyone's taste."

Of the software, Hanson said: "You can tailor it for how you want it. For people who have no problem with it, there's no problem." Dealers make the modification only if owners report a problem.

The issue hasn't dented sales for the redesigned Camry, which hit dealerships in March and has been in short supply.

Sales of the Camry in September were up 3.9 percent over the same month last year. The Camry's U.S. and Japanese manufacturing plants are at full capacity.

Toyota made a running assembly-line change, and vehicles built since early October have the modified software. Toyota says it doesn't know how many vehicles are out there with the old software.
  • Options
    If all it takes is a firmware change then why not have a "reflash" going all the way back to the 2002 Camry when the delay/hesitation first began to become public.

"We tuned the engine for an increase in HP,..."

Either a typo or PURE BS....!!

Substitute "FE" for "HP" in the above quote and you have a reasonable statement assuming it is simply a typo.

On the other hand tuning the engine for HP would result in a QUICK downshift to put more useable HP derived torque to the wheels when the driver indicates the need.

I suspect this whole announcement by Toyota is just another smoke screen so as to lower the level of publicity the relatively few who are having the delay/hesitation problem are currently getting.

And please keep in mind that any "learning" of driver style "unique" aspects will get erased each and every time you restart the engine.

I have little doubt that a firmware change COULD be made to alleviate this engine/transaxle delay/hesitation issue but it would involve removing or the firmware's embedded tendancy to upshift the transaxle upon each and every FULL lift-throttle event.

Personally I would rewrite the firmware to provide a brief, 2-3 second, delay before upshifting in this circumstance.

But since that would undoubtedly adversely affect FE it would need to pass muster with the EPA and CARB, even going all the way back to at least MY2000, even before DBW.

And we still can't say that the automotive insurance companies have not "mandated" a fix for the potential for loss of control due to engine compression braking when the roadbed is slippery.

That latter issue being one that the Ford patent very obviously is addressing in a way unique to hybrids.

But then I also wonder if doing the reflash ONLY for the relatively few reporting this problem isn't a way to bypass both the regulatory and insurance industry restrictions.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Hello. I wanted to let you know I have had a trans replacement one weel ago. So far the rpm spike has not come back. I went through the same process you did including the valve body repacement.I wonder where these trans are coming from? I was told they were revised and thats it. Mine came from a distribution center in Aurora, ILL. It only took them a day to get mine trans as I live in Ill.Kepp us informesd and I will do the same. You have options with the lemmon law and arbritration with Toyota.
    I hope we can here from others who have had there trans replaced?
  • Options
    8up8up Member Posts: 4
    The car should be done Mon. 23rd. Tranny was supposed do be there Thurs or Fri. last week. They ordered it Wed. I'm in Ind. I"ll keep you posted!
  • Options
    ""We tuned the engine for an increase in HP,..."

Either a typo or PURE BS....!!"

That's fine, you don't have to believe it or anything anyone tells you. But, considering many including myself have seen the benefits from this ECM recalibration, the reality of it is, it has 'fixed' what many were complaining about. As for the few who are still not satisfied. Though unfortunate, there could be numerous other reasons for their continued dissatisfaction.
  • Options
    exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    "But then I also wonder if doing the reflash ONLY for the relatively few reporting this problem isn't a way to bypass both the regulatory and insurance industry restrictions."
    Interesting thought, but I'd surmise that the lack of a full recall or other "service campaign" on this issue came to a matter of dollars and cents. Per the posting above yours:

"Toyota says it doesn't know how many vehicles are out there with the old software."
    Toyota doesn't want to admit that they have likely well over 100,000 cars out there with the old software, a very expensive camapign. A little quick math will tell you that between April 1 and October 1, approximately 180,000 Camrys were produced. If 60% of these cars are 4 cyl automatic, 108,000 cars are running around with the old software. Let's take a conservative shop rate of $80/hr x 1.5 hr x 108,000 cars = $12,960,000. A 13 million dollar campaign for a fix that hasn't been proven long term. It's cheaper to have a few compaliners come to them for a reflash and hope that it works long term, plus allows them to continue tweaking the flash programming.
  • Options
    108000 cars a very low estimate as this behavior has been occuring on several Toyota/Lexus products for quite some time now - it is maybe a little more bothersome on the power challenged 4 cyl Camry. But, even at $100 million, this would be money that Toyota would spend IF the reflash actually works long term. Having attained the market posture (and $10 billion profits just last year) they have, they would be foolish to do otherwise.
    Logically it would seem that there is more to it than a simple 'reprogramming', perhaps along the lines of what wwest suggests - a recertification/reclassificiation of all the cars so 'repaired' in terms of EPA FE and emissions ratings, and possibly even some sort of modifications in the computer's learning curves.
  • Options
    rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    Logically it would seem that there is more to it than a simple 'reprogramming', perhaps along the lines of what wwest suggests - a recertification/reclassificiation of all the cars so 'repaired' in terms of EPA FE and emissions ratings, and possibly even some sort of modifications in the computer's learning curves.

Yes, captain2, you and wwest have started to make the connection. Look back at the TSB - and you'll find a number of references to emissions, the EPA, and CARB. The reason this TSB took so long to arrive was the EPA and CARB re-qualification Toyota had to go through before they could release it to their dealers. The calibration ID is assigned and approved by the EPA. And if any owners who had the TSB performed (all should) did not get an Authorized Modifications Label affixed to their vehicle. the car is actually in non-compliance with EPA requirements until stickered properly.

As one of the very early reporters (complainers - ;) ) of this issue, and a Scan-tool contributor to Toyota's assessment of the problem, I was very happy to see the TSB released. Alas, it was a few weeks too late for me as I had already worked out a deal with Toyota through my dealership (Copeland of Brockton, MA - great people) to trade (plus cash, of course) for an identical LE with the V6-6AT.
  • Options
    chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello, has anyone installed a remote starter for thier new camry? How do you like it and what features do you have? Also who installed it and do you have a price?
    Thanks, Chuck
  • Options
    jsleesi34jsleesi34 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the good information, I purchased 07 Camry LE
    with 4 cyl engine with 5 speed automatic transmission.
    On 30th June 2006, my BIN Number is 4T1BE46K77U040987,

Some times hesitate to take off at corner or at stop sign.
    It doest happen all the time.
    Do you think I have transmission problem ?

Thanks

jsleesi34
  • Options
    jsleesi34, it's only a 'problem' if it bothers you or you feel that it may become a safety issue. That said, if you do feel it is a problem, then DO take it in for the TSB EG056-06 to be applied. It has been a positive experience for nearly all who have had it applied. Though my I4 5A tranny didn't hesitate, I had the TSB applied nonetheless, and have been extremely happy with how much more smoother and faster the shifts are.
  • Options
    would imagine the V6 a completely different car. As an owner of an 05 Avalon, contend that the Toyota 2GR is perhaps the best V6 currently available. I get 27 mpg overall and, of course, the power is nothing short of phenomenal (for a Toyota). Interested to know if and how much your FE is suffering given the driving you actually do?
  • Options
    gmontagewgmontagew Member Posts: 32
    Hi everyone. Our 07 Camry exhibits no evidence of any of the things being discussed. I'm interested enough to follow this discussion, but I'd rather not actively participate because it might upset some of the regulars. However I would very much like to hear from more than those few who seem to make up at least three quarters of the posts in this forum. I have a sense that problems being discussed aren't widespread, and most of those with a problem them are getting some satisfaction by having a TSB done. But the negatives which form the majority of posts don't appear to be a realistic picture. They tend to overshadow the real one, whatever that may be. I also see many of the same people talking about it a lot on other Toyota forums, and I find it difficult to get a sense of just how much anyone should be concerned.
    That said, I'm going to continue to sit on the sidelines and hope a broader cross section of experiences may provide more realistic pictures of the real world experiences.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    rmayer99rmayer99 Member Posts: 11
    Actually, my experience so far tends to verify what Toyota says: I started out with my new 2007 4-cylinder XLE in June with the same hesitation issues. It drove me nuts, especially compared to my wife's 2003 4-cyl Camry which drives as smooth as silk. But after a month or so, things got much better, to the point where the new car seemed more powerful than the old one, as if it HAD become tuned for "an increase in HP".

But it still doesn't drive as smoothly as the 2003. So my question to all of you who have had the fix is: have you sacrificed power for smoothness? I'm not sure I'd want to do that...my wife envies the extra kick the new car has compared to hers.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob from AZ
  • Options
    jsleesi34jsleesi34 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your advise,
  • Options
    Good question rmayer99, In my own personal experience, there hasn't been any loss of hp felt in everyday driving. That said, and also experienced by most who have had the TSB applied, all feel as if there has been a slight increase in hp. Though probably not the case, the increased reactivity of the tranny post TSB makes it feel more powerful.