Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    and this makes some sense but - how is the computer then going to interpret those wonderful 2 footed drivers that accelerate away from you with their brake lights on?
  • garrysgarrys Member Posts: 5
    Thanx foxwood_21 for sharing the TSB information with all here. At least we can print these docs & show them to the service guys at toyota or the sales rep at the dealerships when they arrogantly claim that nothing is wrong with the Camry and its driving as designed.
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    "
    Has some1 been perhaps keeping a track of if the percentage of people for whom the TSB fix has solved the problem.
    "

Yes, I have been keeping track of everyone who's reporting getting the TSB applied on two forums including Edmunds. And thus far it has been quite a success. It is now 21.5 for 24. the .5 given to someone here who says the 'hesitation' has been significantly decreased, but still complains of some when accelerating between 30 and 40mph. Another states it made no difference. And a third claims that the 'hesitation' returned after a few days. That said, those who have been happy with the TSB have said it has made a world of difference.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My qestion was: How does the BA "know" the brake pedal has been depressed "quickly" without a sensor to somehow monitor same.

Since such a sensor seemingly does not exist I have assumed the BA ECU "senses" the time lag between lift-throttle and brake application.

Additionally BA uses the ABS pumpmotor brake pressure replenishing system and pressure storage accumulator to provide a higher level of brake application than otherwise might be available when "timid" drivers are panic braking.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    where's the weighty evidence you are referring to? all the people that aren't complaining?

Absolutely. while there are several owners herein who have very real and valid problems in driving their Camry's in toto the number is less than 100. I am sure that there are more who do not post here.

But there are literally hundreds of thousands of others not having such difficulties. Until such time as this issue explodes throughout the product line, it is very small and limited. The new TSB may make it moot even for those few experiencing the difficulty.

There are nearly 300,000 of these new Camry's on the road now and a good number of ES350's and over 200,000 of the new Avalons, hundreds of thousands of Highlanders and Solara's going back to 2003. The older ones, like my own '04 Highlander, show no hesitation at all now after 2 yrs.

The vocal minority keep this issue in front of Toyota, as it should be, in order to improve the driving experience. But the weight of evidence seems to show that not many are having serious difficulties.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    I would hold off on calling the TSB a success until everyone who had it performed on their car makes it past whatever mileage threshold it took for the original problem to appear in the first place. For example, if it took 2,000 miles for it to show up originally and they had the TSB performed at the 8,000 mile mark; maybe it would be prudent to wait until they reach the 10,000 mile mark (not the 8,010 mile mark) before casting any judgments on the success or failure of the TSB.
    lol... I understand your point, but many have also complained of experiencing the 'hesitation' from day one. So, I'm just reporting what is being said. But, feel free to let me know when someone with the TSB applied hits another 2,000 miles. ;)
    to be fair kdhspyder, we don't know that are 'literally hundreds of thousands not having such difficulties' The facts of mass production would logically argue with that contention. Also likely is a large number of buyers willing to accept the behavior as normal or not knowing any better!

thanks foxwood for the alldata link, a good source for problem info on all cars and possibly even fixes for things that you didn't think were problems.
    Interesting to me that on about any basis you wish to evaluate the mfgrs. (total # TSBs, TSBs/vehicle sold, TSBs/no. of different models offered etc.) that those most technologically advanced German cars lead the pack (by far).
    A corollary of Murphy's law - the more complicated anything is - the more likely it is to break, and the harder it is to fix once it does!
    But there are literally hundreds of thousands of others not having such difficulties. Until such time as this issue explodes throughout the product line, it is very small and limited. The new TSB may make it moot even for those few experiencing the difficulty.

There are nearly 300,000 of these new Camry's on the road now and a good number of ES350's and over 200,000 of the new Avalons, hundreds of thousands of Highlanders and Solara's going back to 2003. The older ones, like my own '04 Highlander, show no hesitation at all now after 2 yrs.

Silence about the issue does not mean the issue is not there, kdhspyder. Why is it that because 100,000 people don't post here or other boards stating that they have the problem, you assume they don't have it? There is a real flaw in that logic. For the first year I owned my Highlander, nobody but me and my wife knew we had the problem. Does that mean we didn't have it?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Firstly, on debating between the Camry & Accord. The Accord is sportier feeling and looking. Also tighter in the cabin. But given your concerns over the Camry issues, I'd buy the Accord, which is proven at this point.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My Lexus does the same thing. You get used to it and modify your control accordingly. It doesn't bother me anymore, I know how to compensate.
    "Why is it that because 100,000 people don't post here or other boards stating that they have the problem, you assume they don't have it? There is a real flaw in that logic."

lol... beantown, would it not also be a 'real flaw in that logic' to assume "because 100,000 people don't post here or other boards stating they have the problem, you assume they [do] have it?

btw, how are those Bruins doing this year?
    I'm certainly not making the assumption that all of them do have the problem....I'm simply making the statement that not all people that have the problem are going to publicize it here, another message board, or even mention it to their dealers. That's just the way it is.

Others on here however have been making the express statement that because people aren't saying they have it that they must not have it. That drives me crazy.

Not to get too far off point, but it's like saying that all victims of crime report it to the police. Studies have proven that more than half of all crimes go unreported. If we follow spyder's logic, then that means that those crimes never happened....
    i understand your point. And though unlikely, it is also possible than none of those people have a problem, no? I've been very happy with mine and hope to continue enjoying it.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I'd submit that there are a lot of 2007 Camry owners who aren't even informed of various internet forums such as this.
  • sdahlsdahl Member Posts: 1
    If you would not mind, please also let me know the TSB number for Canada. According to my dealer here in Vancouver he cannot find anything on it.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Silence about the issue does not mean the issue is not there, kdhspyder

I never said it was not there. I specifically said that it is there, certainly for posters herein and likely for others. But I also said Until such time as this issue explodes throughout the product line, it is very small and limited. The silence from nearly 300,000 new owners since March does speak loudly.

The logic fault is arguing from the specific to the general. 50 posters herein have complained vehemently thus all 300,000 vehicles sold thus far must also be affected. This is an invalid conclusion.

We will have to disagree but statistically I'll go with it's a limited problem that resolves itself over time. OTOH for those experiencing severe difficulties it should and must be fixed.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    a change to how a car operates (tsb for example) should result in having it be recertified for epa mileage and emmissions?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    contact the EPA... they'd be able to give you the most accurate answer.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    "So I concluded that they must "watch" the rate at which I move my foot from the gas pedal to the brakes."

and this would have been OK. That is not adaptive but a simple algorithm.

But in this case, Toyota is trying to "Adjust" the transmission to suit the driver, while at the same time the driver is trying to adjust with the transmissions way of working. Will they meet somewhere in between? where, when?
  • silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    Regarding the link to the TSB in post #2088, I see that the September 29, 2006 TSB is for '07 Camry (2AZ-FE, 5-speed A/T)

I am surprised it says '5-speed' I read everywhere that the 6 cyl engine is mated to the 6-Speed A/T. I did not know that a 5-Speed A/T was available. More importantly, is this '5-speed' fix applicable to/appropriate for the 6-speed?

Warranty issues? hoax? Guys and girls, what did I miss?

I have test driven 4 brand new 07 Camry's recently. The later two I specifically checked for bad acceleration hesitation - yep both had it, one even shuddered trying to decide what gear or rpm to get to. And one had an odd braking behavior - after lifting my foot of the brake - the car continued to brake on its own for a second or two - very unusual and disconcerting - is this and intentional behavior in braking assist?

My car arrives next Wednesday - will test drive it before I sign the dotted line.

Hopefully this TSB is genuine.
    The TSB is for the Inline-4 mated with the 5 speed Automatic tranny, NOT the V6 6 Speed A/T.
    reading thru the TSB it does appear that way. This may be a reason why any of these software fixes are slow in coming - dealing with governmental regulations. If we accept the proposition that the 'programming' results in a 10% FE increase (wwest's number) and that changing the program would keep the engine in lower gears at times (meaning more exhaust) then both the emissions rating and the FE ratings would change as would Toyota's CAFE.
    In and of itself, you would think that a software fix like this (if it works) would be simple and relatively inexpensive for Toyota to do - maybe something (or somebody) is standing in the way?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "My Lexus does the same thing. You get used to it and modify your control accordingly. It doesn't bother me anymore, I know how to compensate." ((

Congratulations, Sir. You have successfully been modified with Toyota's latest Artificial Intelligence software update. Toyota Motor Company, or one of its divisions, look forward to re-programming you in the future as subsequent model vehicles are introduced in North America. [click] America - [click] America - [click] America . . .
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    After having the TSB done this morning, all's I can say is wow! What a difference. This car is noticeably more driveable. Had an oil change and the TSB, took 1.5 hours at the dealer.

It would be interesting to get someone from Toyota to explain exactly what they are changing with this TSB, but it seems like it is much more than adjusting transmission shift points. I'm betting that they're adjusting engine performance parameters as well, as the engine seems to have more power. In comparison/retrospect, my prior engine appears sluggish and almost as if the fuel mixture was wayyy toooo lean or there wasn't enough spark advance timing. I wouldn't be surprised if this also helps the cruise control shifting problem (lack of power and having to downshift), but haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet.

Does anybody have any connections inside of Toyota, where we can actually find out what was changed with this TSB? Looking for info beyond the standard reading TSB EG056-06 already posted.

Doctor, since you are keeping track, chalk me up on the + side.....at least for now. Further testing/driving to be done.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Prior to the 2007 model year, V6 equipped Camrys did use a 5-sp automatic transaxle.
    wonderful!
    your suggestion that engine operating parameters (lean burn etc.) may also be changed also seems like a real possibility. Would be interested to know if your FE suffers - keep us posted!
    TMK there have been no concerns with the 5 speed in the 03-06 V6 Camrys in any respect. It is not the same tranny for example that is in the Avalon. There have been reported issues with the 6 speed, however, indicating to me anyway, that it too suffers from a little 'computer interference' as does the Avalon (05+) and several other Toyota models. Since I would imagine that the 4 banger Camry CE/LE is Toyota's best seller, and the effects of the tranny behavior should be most bothersome with the lower HP; this car should be the first that needs to be 'fixed' - from Toyota's perspective.
    Pleased to know that the TSB update was positive. I'd like to know to which Camry model you had this update done (LE, SE XLE, 4 or 6cyl, which year)

Thanks.
  • 100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    Didn't work for me. I mean it was fine for 2 days and then went back to the point before TSB reflash. I'm wondering if hesitation problem affects also CE,SE and XLE models?
    I've been told that my local Toyota service did everything they could to help me with the problem and I was advised to call 800-331-4331 number (Toyota Customer Assistance Center) to schedule an appointment with some other Toyota dude. I'm going to do so later today.
    So far I'm unhappy with my camry :cry:
    Will keep you posted.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    any takers on my original post here?
    "Doctor, since you are keeping track, chalk me up on the + side.....at least for now. Further testing/driving to be done."

lol... done. TSB EG056-06 is now 22.5 for 25, with no word if the 0.5 has changed his opinion.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    2007 4cyl LE, mfg April 2006
  • patcof2patcof2 Member Posts: 12
    Ok now really confused! Had absolutely not idea that this TSB was for a 5 spd tranny, did not even know a 5 speed was even in an 07??? I have the 6 speed, so I think I would have looked really stupid going to the dealer and wanted this TSB done!
    So everyone that do far that have had this done has the 5 speed??? Isn't Toyota going to come out with the fix for a six speed? This is crazy! :confuse: :confuse:
    What's wrong with your 6 Speed?
    Me too - All along I mistakenly thought the 6 speed was the only problem child. Now it seems many here are also talking about the 5 speed, at least as far as the fix is concerned.

So where's the fix (TSB) for the 6 speed which definitely has the hesitation problem. I have an XLE v6 (w/nav – I love toys) on the way (mid-next week). Though I can hardly see the need for flooring the accelerator after coasting to a slow speed, I would rather not have an indecisive tranny at that critical moment when I need to get out of someone's way.

One other thing is on my mind – several people in other forums have mentioned the blue backlight thing in the ’07 Camry center console – cannot be dimmed at night (without also dimming the speedo and tach) and so some have complained of this light as being too bright and distracting for night driving. Frankly I have not test driven a Camry at night and don’t know if this blue panel light (which I think would look great in the early evening) but would exceed my threshold of acceptability of lights within the cabin when dark outside. Have any you felt this has compromised your night-vision?

Your comments greatly appreciated.
    The 6 speed had it's own problem mainly a shift flare(sp?), however... for the most part HAS been resolved with mostly owners of early build V6s noting their issues. However, there hasn't been any NEW owners (build date in this last month) that has complained of this flare. That said, the problem with the 'hesitation' has predominately been tied to the I4 5 speed auto. The V6 has extremely few complaints about 'hesitation' and really don't know what to say considering at speed (highway) passing times in every single magazine/automotive tv show demonstrates amazing times also in 0-60 mph.

As for the the console lighting. It can be dimmed to a comfortable level IMO, atleast I don't have ANY issues with it. I think some people just can't find a happy medium.
    Thanks for your reply drjames.

So the blue back-light will be ok it seems. You are probably right - it could be the 'princess and the pea' syndrome (unacceptable irritant to some and way cool to others). Sometime we see things as problems when other tell us that we should see these things as problems - and in absence of such leading opinions - we might not have thought so.

As to the hesitations, I assure you I drove two separate '07 V6 Camry's in October, both had - what seem at that moment - a great deal of hesitation (1.5 to 2 seconds perhaps) - one of them even hunted up and down for a second totally confused. So it's there. Perhaps the question for myself is how often will I need/want to goose the pedal, and is there a ECM fix now or coming?

No car is perfect for everybody - I just want the best for me my wallet can afford. - I still have the Avalon an the VW Passat in the back of my mind......5 day count-down....before I sign.
    The avalon and depending on the trim level of the passat aren't really competitors to the camry, as I'm sure you already know, but all are fairly solid. VW has had their own reliability issues, if you haven't heard, VW is making last generation's jetta again because of serious issues with the new jetta. They're calling it Jetta City.

As for the hesitation in the Camry. I really am surprised to hear about this since 0-60mph times tested by automotive editors and journalists always acheive times of 6.1 to mid 6 sec ranges. So if there was a 2 second hesitation, you'd think that without any hesitation, the camry could acheive 0-60 mph in just over 4 seconds!!! Now that's fast. lol.

That said, the TSB for the 6 speed released awhile ago was for a faulty snap ring. However, about a two months ago, Toyota South said that a new vendor was now manufacturing their 6 speed trannies. Also, if you've noticed, there haven't been any new owners complaining. As for a TSB for any sort of ECM recallibration? I wouldn't hold my breath. If you are seriously concerned with a 'hesitation' in the V6 6 speed, I'd look elsewhere. As much as I am a Toyota fan, there are some great cars out there.

Though I've got nothing bad to say about the Camry, if you are indeed willing to spend more money and want a slightly bigger car (ie Avalon, Passat), you should take a look at the Maxima and Infinity G35 as well.
    I should clarify - the hesitation I refer to relates to rolling acceleration: after slowing down from higher speed, say 40 mph to 10 or 5 mph then if you press deep on the pedal - the poor baby is quite unhappy.

From standing start on the other hand I had no problems - No doubt the low 6 second 0-60 is legit, though I did not check that out - certainly not with the salesperson next to me -HAHAHA.

I did try the G35 - a little noisy - compared to my current I30 Infiniti. I tried the Maxima - didn't care much for the torque steer. Altima pleased me more - I would like to have waited for the 07 Altima and but need the car sooner than that - Love the Avalon quiteness and silky drive - but with all the toys on board - breaks my bank.

I felt the Passat (interior) is smaller than the Camry's, the rear seat in particular is not as big or as comfortable as the Camry's though the Passat front seats are a little better IMO.

However the Passat has very non-linear throttle response at low speeds and then whoosh! Every review (magazine and on-line) I have read complained about that Passat low speed hesitation. I'll tell you its true, I've driven three Automatic Passats (3.6L FWD, 3.6 4Motion and 2.0T). I do like the handling/steering feel of the Passat better than just about everthing I test drove in the last two months. Just a little leary of post-purchase maintenance costs and other electrical problems I hear about in the VW.

I'm going to sleep on it for the next few days. I don't think I'll be unhappy with any one of them. I hope it is the Camry. Sky Blue Pearl XLE V6 and all four tires. :-) It's got my name on it.
    Just to add some insight if you haven't already read this month's Motor Trend, They did a comparison between the Camry SE V6, Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart, Chevrolet Malibu SS, and Nissan Altima SE-R.

Among the numerous performance tests they performed was a 'figure 8' test -- a mini road course that synthesizes acceleration, braking, grip, and transitional performance. the winner of this one test was the Nissan Sentra SE-R at 27.1 sec, Camry SE V6 at 27.7 sec, Mitsu at 27.9 sec, and Malibu at 28.1 sec. So, it would seem that at least in their test Camry, there would have been very little if any 'hesitation' in transitional accleration. That said, the editors (I agree) believe had the Camry had bigger wheels and tires (especially width), the Camry would have easily won. However, the Camry did win every single other performance test except for braking (second to Altima SE-R again) and again because of the smaller tires.

The editors had this to say about the Camry, "... powertrain is faultless, combining best-of-test power that's also silky smooth and refined. Its six-speed trans resets the standard for the class. Drive it easy, and it melts from gear to gear; give it some stick, and the shifts are quick and firm. the close gear spacing, combined with the engine's wide powerband, means it's always ready to hustle." and indeed, the Camry won the 4 car comparison hands down.

That said, I know what you mean about the Maxima's torque steer. I really think it's a very safe bet with the Camry you've chosen. Great colour, amazing car. I own the 07 Camry SE I4 5A and have love it (no problems), a Porche Boxter S, and a Lexus RX. Sometimes I wish I should've got the V6 in my Camry though. :(
    drjames - I have never seen any mag test of any Toyota product that mentioned anything other than smooth and/or solid shifts. The Avalon tested at 6 flat and 99 mph quarters back in the summer of 05 (C&D)easily winning a 6 car test. But, in any of these performance tests, these are not realistic numbers, how many folks out there will brake the accelerator, rev the engine up to 3-4k rpm, and then 'go'. Something a 16 year old might do, but not anybody 'normal'. Not to mention the thing being manually shifted to begin with - the 'hesitation' which occurs on higher speed coastdown/throttle reapplication would never happen. Kind of surprises me that the Camry V6 doesn't outaccelerate/out FE the Avalon, the Avalon a bigger heavier car with one less gear.
    The Passat, incidentally, slightly smaller than even the Camry, but it is priced priced closer to the Avalon once you get the option levels about the same. Nice V6, and you are right, a lot of electronic gremlins (as German cars tend to).
    The 5 speed problem in the base Camrys sounds a lot more like what can happen in my Avalon 5 speed, the 6 speed 'spike' issue sounds more like some indecision/delay once under acceleration, but the net effect may be the same. And, apparently all created by having computers more heavily involved in our cars.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    drjames, really all your recent post does (with respect to the bolded and italicized portion) is re-emphasize the fact that some vehicles and the drivers of same don't have an issue.
    that's fine user777, if my post can in itself demonstrate to silverstar that not ALL 07 Camry V6 6 speed trans have this 'issue', then it made it's point because he mentioned that all V6 Camrys he'd test drove demonstrated this.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Personally I cannot imagine that all of the transaxles do not have this "issue". I think it has more to do with unique personal driving style than an actual anomaly with just a few transaxles.
    wwest - you're an engineer. you know electrical components have tolerances. further, you know electrical / mechanical systems have characteristics that will exhibit variance in manufacture.

they might all possess the potential to have the hesitation issue but evidently do not. also, i think we are seeing a few different issues manifesting themselves.
    "Personally I cannot imagine that all of the transaxles do not have this "issue". I think it has more to do with unique personal driving style than an actual anomaly with just a few transaxles."

Probably the most realistic and non-alarmist description of the transaxle I've seen here.
    there have been users that have tried in vain to duplicate the hesitation issue experienced by others. possibly it influences severity, but i personally doubt it is root cause.
  • ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    I asked 2 more camry LE I4 owners today about their experiences. they both said they love their car. Ist guy said he has it for 2 weeks. I asked about any hesitation and I explained what that is. He said that his 6 cyl honda accord had it, but not this camry. When I asked about acceleration, he said that he knows that its a 4 cyl, so won't be very fast. Next guy said he bought it in june. he gets 35 mpg and this is the best car. When asked about hesitation, he said he doesnot have it. I thought I would tell him about the TSB, then again, if he does not know what's hesitation, no point scraing him, right?

I nowadays ask people personally about their cars and count that. So far, 7 out of 7 like their car a lot. One girl told me about slower accelearation, but she said overall she is quite happy.