Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    jamiecarjamiecar Member Posts: 17
    drjames, sounds like a good plan but don't think that'll work. I'm in NW Ontario and nowhere near the Michigan border and Toyota Canada has confirmed that the U.S. fix cannot be applied to Canadian cars (even though they were manufactured in the U.S., go figure). I talked with Customer Service at head office yesterday and the best they could do was document my complaint........... was I furious? :mad: My first Toyota and probably my last....... I'm very disappointed with this outcome.
  • Options
    jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    "I bet neither one mentions delay or hesitation of the transmission. "drjames I'm sure you realize how important correct documentation is. Someone uses all the documentation to make important decisions for future designs and documentation of failures like Consumer Reports documents. The TSB to my car made a big improvement except for a small 30 to 40mph slow down that a few other people are having also and was discussed a short time ago in this forum. I'm hoping that it will learn itself out. Why do you think Canada is not doing the TSBs? Is there that much difference between Toyota USA and Toyota Canada?
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Canada's environmental regulations may be different from ours. There's no evidence that Toyota Canada isn't working on a firmware flash for Canuck Camrys with drivability problems. Have y'all already forgotten that two weeks ago Toyota wouldn't so much as acknowledge problems with U.S. cars? And, bang - out of the blue comes word of a fix.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    You can try with arbertration with the NCDS. Call corp for the papers.IT's free and if you loose you still can get a lawyer and use the lemmon laws to try to get a refund. That however may cost you. Don't give up and always keep your records and dates straight. I am having my trans replaced the coming week. I hace the v-6 SE which has all the trans problems. Lets hope Toyota will come up with the correct fix for the V-6's? Hang in there...
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    You can try with arbitration with the NCDS. Call corp for the papers.It's free and if you loose you still can get a lawyer and use the lemon laws to try to get a refund. That however may cost you. Don't give up and always keep your records and dates straight. I am having my trans replaced the coming week. I have the v-6 SE which has all the trans problems. Lets hope Toyota will come up with the correct fix for the V-6's? Hang in there...
  • Options
    Canada's environmental regulations may be different from ours. You are correct. Hang in there. The sqeaking wheel gets the grease so they say!
  • Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    The recent TSB was for the I4 5A, not the 6Speed. That said, Go to another dealer and get it done again. There's no reason to accept a less than stellar tranny now that everything seems finalized.
  • Options
    jamiecar, just be a little patient and hope that the TSB will be released in Canada within a few months. Jamiecar and Jetlockg, the other '07 Camry I4 5A TSB for the harsh 3 to 4 shift was released in Canada about a month after Toyota released it in the U.S.
    Apparently, these types of TSBs have to go through the Ministry of Transportation etc since we have stiffer environmental and safety standards than our brotherin down South... but do not fear, Toyota US and Toyota Canada do share a common database and communicate regularily. Remember, Toyota US sells 10X or more Camrys a year and will thus have a larger pool of complaints and concerns to address and work with. But, I do believe it will be coming North in a matter of time, the other TSBs such as the A pillar garnish came through quicker.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    i bought my camry back in the middle of august, does this tsb apply to my camry?
  • Options
    Absolutely!!! Get it done if you're not satisfied with the acceleration/shifting of your 5A tranny. Including this board, owners who brought it in are now 11.5 for 12 satisfied! The 0.5 being jetlockg, since he is still complaining of a 30 or 40 mph acceleration.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    sweet now to find time in my busy college life to run my car by the toyota dealer. how long should i be expecting to wait?
  • Options
    Those reporting it being done are saying about an hour on average. But one encountered problems with the dealer not having the downloaded codes yet, and another having their own problems at with something else, which then took 2-3 hours. Call and make an appointment.

btw... don't lie to me! ;) I went through 8 years of university... I know you can find the time!! lol.
  • Options
    ichor0416ichor0416 Member Posts: 10
    The tranny woes of current Camry owners was foreshadowed by the problems that Lexus ES owners have been complaining about for the past 5 years. Toyota has some major problems in this area and I have recommended that everyone avoid both Lexus and Toyota cars if unsafe Toyota transmission lag, dishonest Toyota service departments (who claim not to know anything about the problem), and criminally unresponsive Toyota customer service might pose a problem for them.
  • Options
    100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,
    I know with this post I'm going to make some of you guys uncomfortable but anyway, here's my problem:
    I bought my car in May and immediately noticed, that something is not right with transmition. Car was very slow on start and was hunting between the gears. I did some research, found this website and realized that this is very common problem and there's no fix for that. So I've waited for Toyota's move... Few days ago I read here about new TSB for my car and brought it in for service last Wednesday. Everthing was great for 3 days, I started even liking my camry again, than on Saturday i noticed, that the gap between pushing the gas pedal and reaction of the transmition was getting longer and longer. Today I took my car for a ride and while I was entering highway i floored the gas pedal and... nothing happend, the car didn't accelerate!!! I don't know about you guys but I don't feel any difference in transmition performance now. I'm really disappointed and I don't know what to do... Is it possible that toyota service did a bad job recalibrating engine and trany? What should I do next?
    Thanks for any help.
    I feel sad :cry:
  • Options
    Yes it's very possible the TSB was applied incorrectly. I've been monitoring the new TSB and you're unfortunately the first to complain about the 'return' of the hesitation. Bring it to another dealer and ask them to verify the ECM code being used in your car. good luck.
  • Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Carlos, DO NOT let the incompetent workmanship of dealerships give you the wrong conclusion about TOYOTAs as they are the best in the market. I have been buying TOYOTAs for over 15 years and my minor issues (if any) were directly related to poor (and I mean poor) workmanship of toyota dealerships not being able to fix the issue the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd+ time. You need to keep moving around until you find someone to fix it the issue(s) for good (really sad, but true). I do not trust them period!
  • Options
    aburdaburd Member Posts: 23
    Canada won't catch up to California's emissions standards until 2010. There must be another reason why they need to delay the TSB-- maybe more bureacracy.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    sounds like two things are happening to you:
    1) the car doesn't like the way you modulate the throttle - an all-on/all-off driving style is difficult for the transmissions control program to handle. Many Toyota vehicles (as well as o0ther mfgrs.) do not 'like' abrupt accelerator changes to the point that even your foot position can make a difference. The clue to this is in that TSB which effectively says exactly this.
    2) however you drive, the computer also 'learns' to compensate for what it thinks is 'unauthorized' driving style. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But, I would bet, the reason why the reappearance of the problem.
    The bottom line - is that all these new electronic control systems that can (and do) improve FE, emissions, mitigate torque steer, and allow for the VSC/TRAC/ABS safety features are NOT without a price in overall drivability. It is not a problems exclusive to Toyotas (by a long shot), a problem that will be much more common as more and more mfgrs. adopt systems like this, and will change the way we drive.
  • Options
    don't know if it is incompetence as much as it is unfamilarity and lack of training. Own an early 05 Avalon, which was a completely new car from ground up and did get the impression that the dealer was having to use my car for training for the one problem I did have (not the tranny behavior). That said, my dealer was helpful and even apologetic as they really did try and try again until they got it right.
    The Camry should be a bit better simply because the mechanical components (exc. for the 6 speed) have been around for awhile. Toyota 'quality' is suffering a bit more than usual simply because of all the new technologies combined with demand they can barely keep up with.
  • Options
    Toyota 'quality' is suffering a bit more than usual simply because of all the new technologies combined with demand they can barely keep up with.
    You forgot to mention that Toyota RECALLS jumped 41 times the last two years!! not 41% 41 times. There recall rate is the highest in the world! I don't think the demand will be as high next year when the decline of Toyota's quality is realized by the public. What is just as bad as the transmission problem is Toyota's refusal to admit it.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "The sqeaking wheel gets the grease so they say!" ((

Or replaced... ;)
  • Options
    What you have to remember is that every car company is increasingly sharing common parts across different vehicles and lines. And when one of these parts was produced or engineered defectively, it affects an unproportionate amount of cars to be recalled. That 41 times when translated to actual vehicles sold and recalled is still SIGNIFICANTLY below what GM recalled any given year for the past 3 or 4.

The head of NHTSA said it himself, that you simply can't judge the quality of a car company's products based on one or two years worth of recalls.
  • Options
    about 6 or 7 months back Motorweek did a story that involved some Avalon owners who had complaints on the tranny behavior, a Toyota spokesman at the time did acknowledge the unusual software behavior. So they do know, but to this point, anyway, (and I'm guessing here) haven't figured out a way to make some drivability improvements in the programs without possibly changing the car's EPA mileage/emissions certifications. This info. and a link to the article can be found on the Avalon 2005+ site. The 'transmission problem' as you perceive it really has little to do with the tranny itself in a mechanical sense - it has to do with some idiosycransies in how the computer program controls the silly thing.
    Have no idea what you are talking about with your recall stats, these figures are easily accessible on the NHTSA website. The Avalon (which for obvious reasons has always been Toyota's most 'troublesome' model), for example, shows 4 recalls over almost 3 years of production, and was a totally new car at the time. Much less than almost anything else on the market. But believe what you will or let me know where your 'statistics' come from.
    The 2GR engine in my Avalon, the Camry V6, and several other Toyota/Lexus products is the sweetest combination of power, economy, and smoothness possibly in the history of the automobile, in some part because of these high tech computer systems. Doesn't sound like you own one?
  • Options
    I own a 2007 Camry LE 4cyl. Instead of getting the sweetest combination of power, economy, and smoothness I got the hesitation and delay plus jerking. The statistics came from several sources one is "By Micheline Maynard and Martin Fackler The New York Times"
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/04/business/recall.php

The only way you can get accurate stistics is by accurate documentation. NHTSA will not have accurate statistics if they are given garbage. Toyota has gone to great lengths to hide the transmission problems that have been affecting several models for three years. When I had the TSB EG056-06 ECM performed on my car last week the tech wrote reprogramed ECM. Not performed TSB EG056. Call 800-331-4331 Toyota Customer Experience and ask about the hesitation problem with the Toyota transmissions. No one there has ever heard of it, in fact a friend of mine called and they never heard of the TSB. But you can go on any internet auto forum and thousands of people are complaining about it. To answer your question yes I do have a car that has a combination of power and smoothness it is my other car a 2003 Nissan Murano. No, I am not comparing the two. I do not know where you get your white washed statistics but I like your definition of the transmission "The 'transmission problem' as you perceive it really has little to do with the tranny itself in a mechanical sense - it has to do with some idiosycransies in how the computer program controls the silly thing." You must have been one of the guys that designed it.
  • Options
    100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    I'm bringing my car back for service tomorrow morning. To be honest, I don't expect much anymore. Just asked for someone else to look at the car because I dont think the first mechanic did a good job. Last time I spent there 5 hours waiting for my car and nothing got fixed. Transmition is still messed up, noise coming from the driver's door is still there, speedometer is still showing 2 Mph more than it suppose to (I know, not a big deal...).
    captain2 - I really don't see how this can by my fault. All-on/all-off is not my driving style but sometimes I find myself in the situation that I really need all the power my car can give me. Just to make it clear. Hesitation, delay, jerking doesn't occur only when I floor the gas pedal. It happens during everyday driving! It feels like my car starts from 3 or even 4th gear. It's heavy like a cow and moves like one. I don't know if it makes any difference but my car was manufactured on 04/06.
    Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    thanks for the reference - and probably true although it should be noted that: 1) recalls and TSBs are not the same thing 2) the numbers they mention apparently due in large part to cars produced in the 90s and 3)Toyota's production has increased almost that much in the same time period - more cars made = more recalls/TSBs/complaints. The NHTSA numbers on all three are found on:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

And then compare the Camry (or the Avalon because it has been around longer) and see how they measure up. Unless, of course, you still think our erstwhile government is 'whitewashing 'statistics on perceived 'Japanese' mfgrs.
    In any case, you never heard me say that I liked the way our trannies operate and I can certainly understand that that it is more bothersome without the extra 100 HP. But, they are working the way they are designed to work - like it or not and it may, indeed, cost Toyota more than a few customers.
    The real points that I'm trying to make:
    - as our government mandates (and the US autobuyer apparently wants) things like VSC/TRAC/ABS, systems that require electronic (computer) control of our throttles, trannies, brakes, steering etc. the manner in which we cooperate with our car's computers will dictate, to some degree, how we drive. Retraining will be required!
    - Toyota has possibly put a little too much emphasis on FE. It is FE after all that sells. I would be willing to bet you that your car (as well as mine) has a habit of holding onto higher gears particulary on coastdown to a stop, creating a multiple gear downshift on heavy reapplication of the throttle - and the now infamous 'hesitation/lurch'. Compound that with the apparent importance (acknowledged in the reprogramming section of the 6 speed TSB) of foot position and pressure modulation, and again you might reach the conclusion that the car is now somehow dictating the way we drive.
    - Toyota has become an acknowledged technolgy leader these days with things like the hybrids, 268 hp fullsize cars that can crack 30 mpg rather easily, etc. These 'innovations' are not without a price, and are also present in many many other cars that don't happen to be Toyotas.
    The CVT, like in your Murano, is likely a good solution simply because there are no gears to select just a few variable diameter pulleys and a belt or two - Nissan's version the first one to really stand up in a higher HP application. My wife's car incidentally, an 03 Altima 3.5 with an 'old-fashioned' tranny that doesn't have any sort of behavorial issues and, in fact, has never been in the shop for 70k now. It is interesting to me that now both this car and the Maxima are supplied with CVTs. Wonderful engine the Nisaan VQ....
    The advent of the computer controlled car will leave us all wanting for the good ole days when a car did what you told it to - and possibly a Cntrl-Alt-Del button on the dashboard!
    All this said, I will tell you that I have learned how my car wants to be driven and very very rarely experience any hesitation issues. If Toyota does finally come up with some sort of 'solution' that improves drivability at the expense of a few mpg (which I suspect would be the case) I probably will NOT take the car in. Bottom line is that I don't find it that objectionable even when driving the car hard, likely because after 40k miles I have learned how to drive it - and damn, it is a helluva ride!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The only way you can get accurate stistics is by accurate documentation. NHTSA will not have accurate statistics if they are given garbage. Toyota has gone to great lengths to hide the transmission problems that have been affecting several models for three years.

There are no 'hesitation' recalls for the Highlander, ES330, Solara, Avalon, or '07 Camry simply because while the hesitation issues are present in all of these it's a performance related issue not a safety issue. There is nothing hidden it's well known all over the forums and it appears that Toyota is finding solutions vehicle-by-vehicle to what is a programming matter.

The other recalls noted in the article are more a reflection of new standards and a new political environment since Ford/Firestone. Now the guiding criteria is if there is a misdesign or mismanufacture let the NHTSA know about it and if needed issue a recall and put the burden on the owner to have the item fixed.

Did you hear about the safety recall for carpeting on the Highlanders? Or the one about the cupholders in the Durango? These are safety recalls within the last 6 months. The recall statistics for all manufacturers are very likely to go up in this new legal/political environment.
  • Options
    carlos100 - don't mean to imply it's your fault, only a condition of this breed of computer controlled cars which, I think, some folks can adjust to better than others. There are a few hundred thousand Camrys and Avs out on the road now with these new electronic wonders, and I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of their owners wouldn't know what we are talking about, or simply, accept the behavior as normal. And not to excuse the dealers, but I honestly believe they don't have the slightest clue what to do about it - it is a computer software problem and not something they are equipped to do anything about. That, unfortunately, will have to come from those computer geeks that are, in effect, deciding how we will drive.
  • Options
    There are no 'hesitation' recalls for the Highlander, ES330, Solara, Avalon, or '07 Camry
    Of course not, because as you noted it is not a safety issue, although I think a few drivers of these cars might disagree with that. There are, however TSBs and complaints filed on the hesitation issue and available on NHTSA, a site on which any of us are free to use. In this internet driven information era, I think it is fair to surmise that Toyota as well as the other mfgrs. do pay some attention to our gripes.
    And if I'm understanding your tone right, the last place I want to find some idiot lawyer is in my car?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    kdhspyder, it's your opinion it isn't a safety issue. many other drivers with these vehicles have clearly stated otherwise.

to be fair, some owners with the issue have claimed it to be an annoyance more than anything else.

let's, assume the issue's severity is distributed gaussian (we don't know but that's a good first-principles choice). for some it will be mostly a satisfaction problem, but not necessarily so for others...

we should acknowlege this fact since it is rather absurd to be telling people who feel their safety is compromised in their vehicle that there is no safety issue. they experience and perceive what they experience and perceive.

there's no doubt many situations can be accomodated by lots of mental preparation in terms of anticipating the response, or lack there of of the vehicle to heavy throttle application in a number of scenarios.

it's those other situations that would force me to find the implementation completely unacceptable... even if i as a driver of one of these vehicles could "re-train" myself away from decades of driving and causality experience and learning (not just in the driving domain, but just about every other domain in the man/machine realm), the interaction which happens at a very unconscious manner when the scenario is unplanned or is pressed for time...

that needs to be addressed. toyota doesn't seem to get this point - but it is very real and not something i'd be risking or willing to dismiss in a push for higher fuel economy or an infrastructure for other safety functionality.
  • Options
    user777
    To use an old saying, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! However I don't think everyone will understand some of your terminology.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I agree with you too, user777. This is a definite safety concern. After months of transmission and other issues with my 2005 Avalon, I was in a situation where I had hit the gas pedal to enter an intersection and NOTHING HAPPENED. After about a second or two, the Avalon suddenly reacted and pulled me into the intersection and into traffic. This was an "Oh [non-permissible content removed]" situation, because traffic was fast approaching and I would not have intentionally entered the intersection at that point, so I hit the gas to get ahead of the approaching traffic and NOTHING HAPPENED again. I was almost hit and besides feeling like an absolute idiot sitting in the intersection, I realized just how unsafe the transmission hesitation issue was. I got rid of the Avalon that weekend.
    My replacement Nissan has no hesitation whatsoever.
  • Options
    jimmags1jimmags1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Bought my new 4 cylinder CAMRY a few weeks ago. Purchased at Schaumburg Toyota in Illinois. My wife and I love the car.Came home that night and THEN read all this hesitation stuff going on. Is the problem the computer software guiding the trans or the mismatch of the "heavyfoot" driver with the new computer driven trans?? This is my first non-American car. I am 48 years old. By the way,my 2000 Ford Taurus drives just as good as the day I bought it. It has had limited service issues. I have always heard that CAMRY can't be beat,so of course when I buy one it has issues. I only have driven 150 miles. No issues,YET!
  • Options
    ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    Last weekend, I decided to drive to CT where I stayed for about 8 years and know a toyota service dept very well for servicing my Corolla. I talked with a guy while oil changing was being done to my corolla. I asked about this hesitation issues and if they are real from his perspective. He said yes, and started searching in the computer about the new TSB. I said I already know about it. He still pulled it out, showed me some program code. I asked when will be a good time to buy this car. He said Toyota is still updating their programs, and next year will be a good time. I said how urgently I need a new car. He said not to buy before January.

Then he mentioned about the new platform, tranny etc and said that every manufacturer goes through the same thing when they introduce new model. As toyota sells significantly higher number of vehicles compared to other manufacturer, they hear more complains.

These do make sense.
  • Options
    ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    Jimmags, there may not be any issues with yours, I am 95% confident. What is your manf date?
  • Options
    jimmags1jimmags1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'll have to check. The dealer said they just got the car in a few days earlier. (Purchased around the end of September.) The car is great looking. I love the new style.
    Our Camry is the LE in bright silver.
  • Options
    it is very real and not something i'd be risking or willing to dismiss in a push for higher fuel economy or an infrastructure for other safety functionality.
    this is exactly the issue
    And taking it a step further - these safety systems (VSC/TRAC/ABS)that can and do make driving decisions for you by disabling/slowing throttle and tranny responses, applying brakes for you, slowing steering responses etc. MUST be programmed to intervene at some level below the car's actual dynamic capabilities - given different driver abilities. Otherwise, they wouldn't be safety features in the first place. BUT, also possibly creating a safety hazard as well.
    Using the same logic you are using here, does this implementation also become a manufacturer problem and even liability given that the US government has mandated the things and the US consumer apparently wants them? Technology is NOT all good all of the time.

PS - Hello Alan, hope you are contniuing to enjoy your new Altima!
  • Options
    it's a complicated issue: when do you take authority away from the driver, and by how much?

for me, far and away more important that FE or VSC/TRAC and ABS features is vehicle responsiveness to change in throttle and direction.

i have experienced both ABS and TRAC activation in my wife's ODY. i have no history with VSC. TRAC has surprised me a few times, but did it's thing and I'm OK with it.

however, when i demand power from the ODY, it is consistently there. i will not compromise on that.

i'm positive toyota will eventually get it all right, but until that is done, i'll drive something else and be a late adopter of the maturing technology.

i'm going to be vigilant about what i drive and it's response to my control input changes no matter what the manufacturer banner. if i loose confidence in my vehicle, i am not as safe a driver as i could or should be for myself, my family and others on the road in my proximity.
  • Options
    agree - but, the problem is how aggressively the mfgrs. pursue this safety/FE nirvana vs. how much the consumer is willing to sacrifice (in traditional drivability) to have it!
  • Options
    your anecdote and your solution speaks volumes. its the sort of thing that should rule the safety aspect of the discussion.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Okay, bear with me a moment and while you read the following please mentally accept as fact that the delay/hesitation is the result of the need to prevent loss of directional control due to engine braking.

Any "lift-throttle" event results in a transaxle upshift in order to moderate, reduce, the level of engine compression braking. Now with the transaxle having just begun an upshift sequence as you reapply the throttle the upshift must COMPLETE and now the engine/transaxle ECU can command a downshift. With the engine now at idle RPM there is not sufficient hydraulic fluid pressure to complete a second sequential shift quickly...

1-2 seconds later and the downshift is complete, the clutches have been fully and firmly seated, and the DBW firmware can now "release" the throttle.

Now suspend your disbelief if you think otherwise.

Ford Motor Company has just been granted a patent which pertains very closely to the above.

The Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner Hybrid use a newly patented technique which REDUCES, apparently significantly so, the level of regenerative braking if the OAT, Outside Air Temperature is "hovering" near or below freezing.

Additionally, regardless of OAT level, if the ABS, Anti-locking braking system activates due to the need to RELEASE the brakes momentarily (tens of milliseconds) the regenerative braking level is instantly dropped to zero.

Obviously this is a strong indication that the effects of regenerative braking can be detrimental should the roadbed be slippery enough.

Wouldn't the same be true of engine compression braking? Especially for FWD or front torque biased AWD?

So I suggest that "maybe" the new TSB simply reduces the instances of lift-throttle upshifts to those times when the OAT is near or below freezing. But I suppose we won't really know the answer to that until enough folks having had the TSB applied start encountering freezing or sub-freezing temperatures.

Could that also be why the TSB isn't available in Canada? Canadian LS400s and Prius' get windshield heaters and we don't....
  • Options
    the consumer isn't in the position to know how much is too much to conceed. we don't know the parameters / envelopes under which this stuff kicks in. and even if we did, what would be the significance of that information?

the government mandating this stuff - well that is a different matter. and the manufacturer in my opinion has an obligation to see to it they don't negatively impact safety by introducing these and other artifacts.
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Last weekend, I decided to drive to CT where I stayed for about 8 years and know a toyota service dept very well for servicing my Corolla. I talked with a guy while oil changing was being done to my corolla. I asked about this hesitation issues and if they are real from his perspective. He said yes, and started searching in the computer about the new TSB. I said I already know about it. He still pulled it out, showed me some program code. I asked when will be a good time to buy this car. He said Toyota is still updating their programs, and next year will be a good time. I said how urgently I need a new car. He said not to buy before January.

Then he mentioned about the new platform, tranny etc and said that every manufacturer goes through the same thing when they introduce new model. As toyota sells significantly higher number of vehicles compared to other manufacturer, they hear more complains.

These do make sense.

I wish I could believe that all will be well next year, but I can't. I just have a hard time believing that it will take less than a year to fix this in the '07 Camry, when it has been a problem in the Highlander and Avalon for around 5 years with no apparent fix to date.
  • Options
    translated then into a real life situation - [3] different cars all attempting to merge into a fast moving (60 mph)stream of traffic from a near stopped condition. Car 1 - a Camry SE V6 which under optimum conditions will get to 60 in 6 seconds, Car 2 - a Camry LE 4 banger that takes maybe 9, Car 3 - a little Yaris that takes 11 but is not equipped with an 'intelligent' tranny. Car 1 and Car 2 both experience a brief delay (let's call it 1.5 seconds) in tranny engagement/slippage making those effective times 7.5 and 10.5 seconds, still allowing either of those cars to safely merge before the little Yaris.
    By what we talking about here, the 'hesitant' tranny is assumed dangerous, and the ecobox is not when, in fact, both the Camry models can merge more quickly and safely?
  • Options
    dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    I wish I could believe that all will be well next year, but I can't. I just have a hard time believing that it will take less than a year to fix this in the '07 Camry, when it has been a problem in the Highlander and Avalon for around 5 years with no apparent fix to date.

Not to mention previous v6 5speed Camry, Lexus 300, and Lexus 330.
  • Options
    no (and here's just two reasons) by virtue of the facts that the econobox's responsivenes is linear with command input and is consistent which supports mental models learned by the driver over decades (1) but also supports the prediction task (2) i.e. will i have enough horsepower and ramp to merge successfully at proper speed, where the higher-power vehicle's responsiveness to the upcomming change in control system input by the user fails on both counts.
  • Options
    and you don't think that those supported mental modes of how any car accelerates is not something that can be adjusted to by the driver, linear or non-linear? Note that I'm not saying that we should HAVE to, only that behavior like this is becoming more and more common.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Well it is of course my opinion but I do own one of these vehicles, an '04 Highlander, and while I recognize the presence of the hesitation like captain2 I have found that's it's a non-issue in the driving of the vehicle.

Whether we've adjusted to the vehicle or it to us over the last 2 years I don't know. It is though just as powerful and responsive as we need it to be in any and all circumstances.

I do agree wholeheartedly that Toyota has to react immediately to complaint about the lack of enjoyment of the driving experience. This is what keeps people coming back.
  • Options
    v45magnav45magna Member Posts: 4
    I am a Canadian owner of a 2007 Camry SE 4 cyl auto tranny with all of the woes you people are experiencing. I purchased my Camry in late July 2006 and have had the issues from get go. I have had a loaner for the past month since I had a close call at a intersection due to the hesitation problem. Today my dealer tells me that they have the new TSB and I should receive my Camry tomorrow
    October 11,2007. I just hope it corrects the issues I have with this car.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Hey Captain!
    Yes, I am still enjoying the Altima 3.5. One dynamite of a car. Wouldn't trade it for an Avalon - an M35 perhaps ;)
    Your point of performance capability is well taken, however I think the issue here is predictability. Humans can adapt to machines providing that the machines react consistently every time. Having a vehicle respond variably to the same input at different times makes it very difficult and potentially dangerous to drive because the driver doesn't know what it is or isn't going to do next.
    Take my example - sometimes the Avalon would take off like a rocket. It could be accelerated into traffic with ease and knowing it's capabilities, one would drive it accordingly. If I were driving the Yaris, I would adjust my habits accordingly, and perhaps wait for wider traffic gaps etc.
    The problem was the Avalon responded differently every time. If there was a consistent 2 second delay in throttle response, one could conceivably adjust to it and drive it accordingly, however in my case, sometimes it would take off like a rocket and at other times it would leave me hanging... all within seconds of each "event". The variability compounded the hesitation issue, so one couldn't develop a "feel" for the car's capabilities and the last thing I want to do when I'm negotiating traffic is to try to figure out what the car is going to do next.
    My Altima is a very responsive and obedient machine - fast, predictable and always at MY command. Ditto with our Honda.
    There must be some reason why Toyota have taken so long to address these issues and why the same problems are manifesting themselves in the brand-new Camry transmission. Perhaps their design is overly complicated with just too many sensors and too many variable sources of input that they just plain well outsmarted themselves. How about back to the old philosophy of K.I.S.S!
    I'm still following these forums because we were going to get a Camry for our son in a few months, but I'm not buying any more Toyotas until I can see a clean bill of health over an extended period of time.