Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    lol...jetjockg, your reply to my post is a joke. I didn't attack anyone, nor belittle anyone's woes. I've owned an 07 SE I4 5A for awhile and have not experienced the woes that some are trying to tell others exist in EVERY 07 Camry, which simply is not true. I've also been trying to determine whether late build 07 Camrys have had problems, which apparently not. I can understand why someone so bitter as you would accuse us for working for Toyota or telling everyone the sky is falling at Toyota, but the fact is Toyota had some problems, and have acknowledged them publicly. The question now is, have they addressed them. Or is there any new woes being experienced by new and existing owners. Not about your "'boo hoo'. Your posts aren't fair because they're posted too early in the morning!" rants.
  • Options
    damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    I agree, I dont think every camry is effected to but Toyota says they all drive the same. I bet if you drove mine on a warm day like today and you would say my car drived different than yours.
  • Options
    Actually damon34, I don't doubt at all that there's something wrong with your car. In all honesty, I don't know what you could do except for retain legal counsel and attempt to get a new car. That said, I've been wondering if you have VSC and traction control on your car?
  • Options
    jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    The hesitation problems are with thr 4 cyl.2007 Camry LE not the 07 SE I4 5A or other models. If you falsely think that the late models do not have a problem then Toyota must have found a fix and if they have why haven't they told me and the other folks!! Just before I started writing this I saw where someone on this forum got a letter from Toyota admitting to the hesitation problem but saying they were not going to fix it!! Now that is what I call good customer relations. Does that make me and others bitter you bet! Will I keep stating the FACTS on this and other forums -- You bet. If I said anything that offended you in my last letter I'm sorry. Lets run this quarum like friendly people instead of a bunch of congressmen.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...about the new Lexus LS.

There's mention that Toyota is attacking the recent quality problems head-on: by hiring 8000 new engineers, worldwide.

Guess a fair number of those will come from the Detroit 3 -- looking for a better opportunity.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    i wonder how many of them are ex big 2.5 engineers? they have a lot of experience. i know one who had several offers after being let go and took one. there is a lot of talent there.
    delray... beat me to the same post.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    For those with techie interests and the hesitation issue : I finally got my Autotap OBDII diagnostics kit working again (recent software versions have become allergic to French - my language).

For less than $200, you can log the Oxygen sensors' readings, as well as throttle, engine RPM and car speed, and see what happens during hesitation. Because new Camrys use the very fast CAN Bus, each value is sampled more than 10 times per second. Loggged data can be exported to Excel files for analysis.

I can't help you more because mine is a Hybrid, and I really REALLY need to bang the accelerator to the floor to, sometimes only, feel a 1-second hesitation.
  • Options
    ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    isn't all the 4 cyl engines same? irrespective of the models?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    kdhspyder,djarmes,and user777. The three of you have consistently criticized everyone who has
    posted a valid defect or problem with their Camry

i'd be one of the posters supporting those with a valid defect, NOT one of the posters criticizing someone with an issue with their vehicle. :blush:

i'm the one suggesting some poor soul with the problem get a particular OBD-II reader capable of toyota specific parameter capture on a laptop to present objective data of hesitation events that noone could refute, but also which would help us all visualize and discuss the problem better.

oh well.
  • Options
    gauge31gauge31 Member Posts: 2
    V6 XLE
  • Options
    Depends on who's responding to your post ilovecars ;) , but yes... the drivetrains are the same regardless of trim level.
  • Options
    For those of you who have been unfortunate with the V6 6A '07 Camry, and have had that transmission 'slipping' reving problem with the 6 speed tranny, and have seen that video on Youtube.... the owner of that Camry (who shot that video) after a second attempt to resolve his problem discovered the fix! It appears, with the help of a Toyota field engineer and a second service centre... they discovered the fix... 1) low levels of transmission fluid (no leak, just was never filled) and 2) the programing of the transmission (or lack of). Either way... he has reported that his Camry is now performing as expected and is happy with the outcome (albeit, a little softened by having to go through it, happy nonetheless with his experience.)
  • Options
    cameo41cameo41 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a new 2005 Camry XLE on August 25, 2006. I have previously owed 11 Toyotas since 1973 (4 or 5 of them the Camry model) and assumed it would be an excellent car as all previous Toyotas were - WRONG!
    Problem #1 - it constantly shifts until you reach over 50 mph - very annoying.
    Problem #2 - too fast an idle speed - when the car has been driven and is warm - on a flat street I can go up to almost 10 mph without touching the gas pedal - BIG SAFETY PROBLEM!
    Problem #3 - Cruise control does not hold going down a hill (all 11 previous Toyotas did). I can set it at 66 or 67 and go down a steep hill and be at 73 or 74 at the bottom - just asking for a ticket - BIG SAFETY PROBLEM!
    Problem #3 - breaking - there is a hesitation or jog when brake is applied, really hard to explain what I mean on this one, but it shouldn't do this.
    Problem #4 - gas pedal has been changed to a pump-type, entirely new for 2007. Therefore whenever I hit a bump, my foot bobbles up and down on the accelerator.
    I really like the interior and have had no problems with that so far.
    I called my sales rep on 8-30-06 and he referred me to the service dept, where I was told there is no fix on any of these problems. They have computerized the motor and the gas accelerator was changed to the pump style. I called the owner of the company and left a phone message as he was out of town. This lasted over the Labor Day weekend. In any event in over more than 2 weeks the owner did not call me nor the sales rep (who I had called again.)
    Finally called the Toyota Headquarters and received a case number and was told by the girl that all the problems I told her of were "design flaws and could not be corrected." After a week and another call to Headquarters, I talked with "Charlie" who asked if my dealer had driven my car or I had driven another Camry and I told him no one had even bothered to call me. He indicated this did not sound like this dealership (my thoughts too and I feel an indication that they don't know what to do). The next day my dealership called and the service manager rode with me in my car and then we took an LE out, which I drove. He kept my car overnight and gave me a 2007 LE to drive. Bottom line - "The car is doing as it was designed."
    Regarding Problem #1 - I was told they added a 4th gear because some people like to shift their cars. Why would you purchase an automatic and then shift it. I don't want to feel every shift at around 10, 25, 35, and 45 mph.
    In other words I am sitting with over $25,000 invested in what I consider a piece of junk. I also found out that the XLE has a much stiffer suspension than the LE after driving the LE. Why would you put a stiffer suspension in an upscaled luxury model???? It bounces you all over the place. They cannot lower the idle speed - so we burn more expensive gas and I have the problem of always having to have the break on very hard or the car will drift forward into the one in front of me when at stop lights, etc. Really scary! I think Toyota has A MAJOR PROBLEM they don't know what to do with. They sure ruined a good vehicle!! and lost their reputation of being a trouble free vehicle. Cameo41
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Here is the link to the youtube video:
    Seems obnormal to me. Listen to the engine. I don't think the driver was accelerating hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhPoBh0JJA
  • Options
    As I said in my previous post... the owner of that car and who also shot the video has updated his situation and the fix.
  • Options
    exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Do you have a link to his situation update?
  • Options
    exploder750, Here's his entire post.

"Let me clear up the guesses and speculation here as that's my car and I shot the video.

First, I'd let the car warm up a bit and driven to the end of our street which "T's" into an intersection with a busy 35 MPH limit cross street. The temperature needle shows a bit above "C".

I didn't floor it or even close to it (video shows it takes about 14 seconds 0-40, where this car is capable of ~7 seconds 0-60). But, you can see when I initially accelerated, the RPM's rise but the speedo remains at 0 MPH (until almost 3k RPM) - total slippage. The transmission continued to slip through 2nd and 3rd gears, accounting for the high RPMs. You can watch the speedo rise normally as an indication that I wasn't racing the car (or even close to it), but was just merging into 35 MPH cross-traffic. After the transmission shifted into 4th, the slippage went away.

So, here's the fix. Turns out dealer #1 (the one who replaced the bad valves under TSB TC008-06R) really screwed the pooch. Dealer #2 identified the problems that Dealer #1 left me with:

* Transmission fluid > 1 Qt. low
    * Transmission not "programmed" (either wrong or not at all)

Bet you haven't checked the AFT in your 07 Camry V6 yet, huh? Well, it's got to be done while the fluid is between 103 and 112 degrees and, according to the dealer, requires a special tool! According to the Service Manager, there is no way for you or me to do it.

Anyways, once Dealer #2 fixed the problems, the tranny is back and functioning as normal. The replacement valve, combined with the correct fluid level *and* correctly programming the transmission did the job. Toyota Corporate was involved and made certain the car was repaired to my satisfaction. While I'm not happy about my new car having problems, I am happy that Toyota and Dealer #2 made things right.

About Dealer #1 - this is not the first time they've screwed up on one of my vehicles. I'm warning all of my friends and acquaintences about them.

I would be kidding if I said I was 100% thrilled with what happened. However, the transmission fluid showed no evidence of burning and Toyota Corporate and Dealer #2 really stepped up and made things right. I bought the 7/100/0 extended warranty when I first took delivery of the car, so I figured I'm covered for the probable time period I'll keep the car. Dealer #2 gave me a cool new Tacoma loaner truck with all the bells and whistles to drive while they debugged my ailing Camry and I received regular status calls updating me as to what they found. So, looking at everything, I'm satisfied and will enjoy driving the car for the next 6-7 years. Hey, it's a great car to drive, the stereo is fantastic, and it's really comfortable for me to sit in.

Marc
    "
  • Options
    exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Do you have a link to the posting or a post number from this thread?
  • Options
    Welcome to the club. I and so many others have gone through the same experience. You have the sympathy of most of the folks on this forum. If you come up with a suggestion other than buying an expensive piece of test gear to check the transmission, somthing our dealer should be doing let us know.
  • Options
    arn't the 4 cyl engines the same?

Yes they are but alot of people with 6cyl are talking about hesitations. That is what I was refering to.
  • Options
    The dealer re programmed my transmission by disconnecting the battery for three hours and let the beast reset to factory specs. Would they do the same with the V6 6A '07 Camry? It doesn't seem like a sophisticated procedure. I drive different than my wife and sometimes she drives the car more than I. How does the supposedly programmable transmission know the difference? Does it adjust to an average of both our driving habits? Maybe thats what's causing the hesitation and other problems because the transmission can't figure out what to do.Just like Toyota!
  • Options
    I have a 2004 and a 2005 Camry, both purchased new. The latter has the new-for-'05 5-speed auto transmission.

I'm at work, so I'll have to respond later, but I'm puzzled by some of your problems.

Was the Camry new or used when you purchased it? (I would assume used.)
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I tried the cruise control again on our normal Interstate stretch, and it worked! Did NOT downshift into 3rd or 4th as it has previously consistently done, with the engine RPM having to jump dramatically with the downshifts. It stayed in 5th, and during the slight inclines just dropped out of transmission lockup mode, increasing the rpm's a couple hundred. It worked as I would expect a cruise control to work.

I haven't been able yet to do any extensive testing, just thrilled to have it work once! The only factors different that I'm aware of, is the outside temperatures have now dropped into the 70's and we're not using the air-conditioner (which I suspect consumes a lot of the 4cylinders 40-50HP at 1500-2000 rpms, and is probably the main factor). The car also now has almost 7K miles on it, so undoubtedly is looser now. I am using the same gas from the same gas station, although I don't know when/if they shifted from summer blend to winter blend and whether that has any effect or not. I also had the dealer do an oil change at 3500 miles. Those are the only factors that I can think of, which are different between working better now, and consistently failing prior.

The car should be able to cruise while running the air-conditioner, so I'm not necessarily spiking the ball yet. Just wanted to give others some ideas to investigate. I did have a VW Golf Diesel a number of years ago, and that would actually disengage the air conditioner compressor when the pedal was pressed down, so that all available HP was used in accelerating as opposed to turning the air-conditioner. Seeing an earlier post about a transmission level not being properly filled, makes me wonder whether my air-conditioner freon is over/under charged and the effect that might have on HP requirements. Certainly in the south, air is needed!
  • Options
    100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    I noticed the same thing after first oil change at the dealer. I guess they must have done something because since then cruise control works as it should. Im still having sporadic hesitation problems though... :(
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "I drive different than my wife and sometimes she drives the car more than I. How does the supposedly programmable transmission know the difference? Does it adjust to an average of both our driving habits?" ((

Bingo! ;) In the case of multiple drivers, the transmission control module won't fully learn either driver's individual driving technique, though its responses will skew more toward the driving style of the principle driver. Real problems arise when both drivers share essentially equal duties behind the wheel, with one driving like a grannie and the other like Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (I do wish my better half would reign in her aggressive tendencies a bit...) Like marriage, adaptive learning automatic trannies demand compromise. This is true regardless of make.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well it wasn't anything the dealership did, as they just confirmed the cruise control problem with a test drive, but then said basically working as designed and nothing they could do to fix it. After the oil change the problem still existed, so I'm not suggesting necessarily that the oil change had any effect....I was just trying to list absolutely all of the things that have changed between when the car was new and now.
  • Options
    When i brought my car for service I mentioned that there's a problem with cruise control but nice lady who was checking me in said, that for this problem I would have to make a separate appointment. 25 mins later after i pick up the car i tried cruise control and I couldn't believe the difference! I checked the paper work but there was nothing about fixing the issue... I hope after 10K miles service hesitation problem will be fixed the same way ;)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some posts about a 2005 Camry have been moved: cameo41, "Toyota Camry - 2006 and earlier" #8246, 26 Sep 2006 11:10 pm.
  • Options
    toyacctoyacc Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure whether it is already covered by other topics. I had this camry for about 3 months, 4000 miles on. One thing very annoying is its transmission. After i release the gas and break to slow it down from 60 mile/hr, the engine actually makes noise and jumps from 2000 rpm to about 3000 rpm. It is very noticeable when i try to slow down at a downhill situation. After about 10 seconds, the engine is quiet and everything seems to go back normal.

I called toyota dealership, they said that the car is designed to be like that. But my old 99 camry doesn't have this problem at all.
    Anybody has similar experience?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The three of you have consistently criticized everyone who has posted a valid defect or problem with their Camry

Actually this is not a correct statement. I have been careful to state that those reporting difficulties, and there are several here, do actually have problems that effect their driving. Some have been resolved perfectly to the satisfaction of the owners some others have not and those owners are unhappy.

This is the full extent of the problem, until further evidence is provided.

In the larger picture the sales of the '07 Camry now are approaching 300,000 units and the reports are, while consistent in what is being experienced, sporadic and seem limited. The vast vast majority of owners seems very happy and perfectly satisfied.

This forum does serve a good purpose to gather experiences and to discuss them but it's hardly proof of 'the demise of Toyota's quality control rating' as you state.

In addition you just reject that the political and legal environment toward automotive recalls/repairs/defects has changed in the last 5 years. This is what you are seeing in the press.
  • Options
    baxter2baxter2 Member Posts: 5
    Update: On 9/27/06 I spoke with my contact at the local Toyota dealer. He had heard back from Gulf States-data from my vehicle was sent to Toyota, and was told "there is a Federal Report” on the hesitiation issue. He defined a "federal report" as complaints Toyota is receiving nationally (rather than just locally). He was also told that Toyota is working on a solution, but there is no way to know what the solution will be or when it will be available (early 2007 was mentioned).
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, cannot figure out how to break this up into paragraphs.

Did you mean to say new "2007"...?

#1 It appears that late in the last century Toyota adopted something called ASL, Aggressive Shift Logic, and other transaxle control techniques proposed in an engineering white paper published by Sierra Research.

Basically the suggestion was that overall fleet wide FE could be improved by 9.8% via adopting such techniques as upshifting the transaxle everytime, anytime, "deemed" opportune/appropriate, use of the torque converter lockup clutch in gear ranges other than overdrive, and shifting the transaxle into neutral during "final", <10 mph, coastdown to a stop, then only shift into 1st gear when fully stopped, or as subsequent acceleration is needed.

Obviously the use of the lockup clutch in this manner would make it "feel" as if you have ~50% more gear ratios to shift through as really exists.

#2 Assuming 2005, it is also quite possible that your particular car has had the engine/transaxle ECU "reflash" (or came from the factory programmed this way if 2007) and that would probably result in the use of a higher idle speed so as to overcome the lack of hydraulic pump capacity resulting from too many "undue" upshifts followed immediately by a downshift as a result of your actions on the accelerator pedal.

#3 Since your car is FWD it is patently UNSAFE to use any level of engine compression braking on certain adverse roadbed conditions. "Coasting" downhill on a somewhat slippery, icy, roadbed with a fully closed throttle being one of the most unsafe procedures possible.

Since the design engineers cannot possibly know or predict when or where that might occur they have deemed it best to remove the threat entirely.

#4 I'm not really very surprised at this, assuming by "pump-type" you really mean shock absorber type as a "damper". I have long suspected that some of the transaxle shifting and engine delay problems being reported have something to do with the driver's actions, activity, on/with teh accelerator pedal.

On of my earlier suggestions for avoiding the 1-2 second downshift delay was to be definitive with the release of the accelerator pedal, even step lightly on the brake quickly when you desire to coast down to a lower speed and NOT have the system "think" your intention was to enter crusing mode.

Due to another post on this matter I have suspected that Toyota was retrofitting these vehicles to a higher volume hydraulic pump within the transaxle to overcome the downshift delay but a higher idle speed would undoubtedly help to overcome this problem.
  • Options
    In addition you just reject that the political and legal environment toward automotive recalls/repairs/defects has changed in the last 5 years. This is what you are seeing in the press.
    Can you elaborate on this subject please?
    As you have probably figured I am relatively new to forums.
    In fact I do not like them. I'm only here because of the screwdup tranny in my 2007CamryLE
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Pat, I suspect the 2005 reference was in error, a typo....and that the poster actually has a 2007 Camry. He references it being purchased NEW in aug 2006
  • Options
    What about #1822

"The poor response you described typically surfaces either when the accelerator is depressed fully to the floor or when depressed in an aggressive manner. The newer version of the Camry has transitioned from a manual throttle linkage to an electronic throttle control system. The electronic throttle control monitors the everyday driving habits of the operator and then tailors itself to make the most efficient gearshifts. On rare occasions when the operator fully depresses the pedal or depresses the pedal in an aggressive manner, the system may experience a delay in determining how to make the optimal gearshift.

At this time Toyota has no plans to make changes to the shift characteristics of the transmission. To minimize this condition, we recommend trying a firm yet gradual application of the accelerator

Toyota has a problem about keeping it customers informed. Since the message above is a confirmed EMail from Toyota I would tend to believe it before the one you mentioned from Gulf States. But who knows?
  • Options
    This is normal -- it's called "grade logic" and Honda has been using it for a longer period of time.

When you step on the brake pedal moderately hard while descending a grade, depending on its steepness, the transmission will downshift one or even two gears (assuming you were in 5th at the start) to keep the car from picking up speed. Obviously, if the engine is turning faster (higher rpm's), it will sound louder. Once you reach the bottom of the hill or step on the gas pedal, the transmission will upshift again.

It's the same thing as downshifting a manual transmission car to keep your speed under control.
  • Options
    dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    "This is normal -- it's called "grade logic" and Honda has been using it for a longer period of time."

I feel that my wife 2005 Honda Pilot shift and drive just as I expect from a normal car. But this camry is not???
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Can you elaborate on this subject please?

It began in the 80's and 90's with product liability claims ( Tylenol ). When the Ford/Firestone fiasco arose several years ago all companies and governments learned what not to do if a product might have serious failures or problems that might cause injury or death.

No company wants its Management called before Congress to explain why people are dying as Ford and Firestone had to do. No company wants to have to send senior Management to the home of paralyzed victims to apologise for injuries caused by its product. No governmental agency like the NHTSA wants to be put in the position again of seeming to ignore a potential crisis and possibly being 'under the thumb' of the companies it's supposed to monitor.

In the past I'm sure that Toyota had numerous issues that needed to be corrected. It did them under 'campaigns' where all vehicles with this defect/mismanufacture/repair were done as the vehicles came in for service. The latest one I remember was on the new 2004 Sienna where a reinforcing strap was added to gas tanks to ensure that they didn't rupture during a severe frontal crash. My wife's 2003 MR2 also had an ECU replacement done under 'campaign'.

This put the responsibility on Toyota to catch each and every vehicle coming under a campaign. It was good for its perception but the entire responsibility rested on it. Now it's different as a result of Ford/Firestone. I am nearly certain that attorney's inside and outside of Toyota, and every other company making any product, as well as the companies providing product liability insurance ( and their attorney's ) are telling these companies;

'Listen if you want product liability insurance on this xyz product then you have to let the public know if there is potentially a risk of injury/death. If you don't then no product liability insurance. Simple. Use whatever the correct channel is but get the informantion into the public domain - and that then puts the responsibility on the public to have the product fixed or not. Most will do it but some will not. At least you've made the best effort to correct the potential problem.'

The attorney's inside a company are telling Management 'If you don't get the potentially damaging information out into the public and something disasterous goes wrong like FireStorm then you ( management ) havent' done your job to protect the investments of the owners so you are likely to lose your job or go to prison or be personally liable for any damages - or all three.

At the governmental level I am 99+% certain that the its bosses have told the automakers 'Blindside us again like Ford and Firestone did and you'll never get our shoe off your neck.'

The result is ... massive amounts of recalls from every manufacturer for everything from carpeting to cupholders to tierods to......
  • Options
    I'm just reporting how the Camry's 5-speed auto transmission works, and I happen to like the feature. I've never driven a Pilot.

My '04 Camry has a 4-speed auto, and this feature is not as obvious, with the car more often remaining in its highest gear (4th) going downhill.

How many gears does the Pilot have? Also, I'd suppose the Pilot is less likely to pick up speed going downhill, with more drag from the all-wheel drive system, the larger tires, and the boxier shape.
  • Options
    baxter2baxter2 Member Posts: 5
    Actually, both could be true, the 'confirmed email from Toyota' describing the current official position while they try to decide what to do or whether they will take any corrective action. It is difficult to believe that Toyota would knowingly send out the email response due to liability invloved in the 'admissision' and the 'recommended' action. But, you are right--who knows.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Like marriage, adaptive learning automatic trannies demand compromise. This is true regardless of make
    It shouldn't have to be. My Trailblazer has remote 1 and 2 which when pushed remembers the seat settings, radio, mirrors, brake/gas pedal postion. There is no reason in this day and age they couldn't program the tranny into that skeme also.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Could be, but it would be pretty tricky to hit the "5" when you were aiming for the "7". ;)

If cameo's car is indeed an 07, I'll move 'em back. I gotta deal with what's presented and it's possible he/she bought a demo or something that for whatever reason had been never titled - perhaps because it had all the issues he/she reported. :surprise:
  • Options
    dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    You have it all wrong. The hesitation that other including myself experience is mostly low speed such as approaching red light slow down but not the point of stop yet then the light change to green you step on the gas pedal, rpm going up but the car is not going any faster and then all the suddenly it engage then off you go.
  • Options
    I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. In addition, sometimes (I can't really tell what triggers that) when I take my foot off the gas pedal it feels like at the same time i stepped on the brakes. Have you noticed the same thing?
  • Options
    I have what all wrong? My original response was to toyacc, who said: One thing very annoying is its transmission. After i release the gas and break to slow it down from 60 mile/hr, the engine actually makes noise and jumps from 2000 rpm to about 3000 rpm. It is very noticeable when i try to slow down at a downhill situation.

I didn't pay attention though that you chimed in, thinking instead it was toyacc responding with a comment comparing his Camry to a Pilot.

I have no answer about hesitation, because I've only driven one 2007 Camry 4-cylinder briefly, and of course the one I drove didn't hesitate (but it was brand new at the time).
  • Options
    Ok, let me take my best shot after wwest's answers. Also, I read too quickly before -- you did say the car was new, although one thing is unclear -- is it a 2005 or 2007 model?

If you have a 4-cylinder, then I have the exact same 2005 model car, also purchased new, now with almost 16K miles.

1. "Constant" shifts occur because it has a 5-speed automatic (5 forward gears, not 4 as the dealer erroneously said). More gears = more shifts. Theoretically, this provides better fuel economy and performance. Ironically, my '04 Camry LE 4 with the older 4-speed auto gets better mileage overall, under the same conditions!

The V6 has a new 6-speed automatic, with so-called "manumatic" capability -- you can easily shift the car manually if you so choose. But if you leave it in Drive, it will shift automatically just like any "regular" auto transmission.

2. Something may be amiss. What is your indicated idle speed?

On my '04, I did the following today: Started the car at 5 pm after it was sitting all day at work. Drove up the 0.4-mile long driveway of my workplace and made a full stop on the level portion toward the end. I then let off the brake with the car in Drive. The car moved forward very slowly, with the speedo never budging from zero and the tach indicating 800 rpm, slightly higher than idle speed when the car is fully warm.

3. There is no car made that can resist gravity. If the grade is steep enough, the car will accelerate, even if the cruise dials back the engine to idle speed (unless your idle speed is too high -- see no. 2). Otherwise, either brake or downshift manually to slow the car.

4. The XLE has 4-wheel disk brakes, and these respond much more readily than the front disk/rear drum setup on the older LE. On the latter, the pedal feel is softer and you have to press harder. Something may be amiss again.

5. I don't know what you mean by "pump-type" accelerator, but all Camrys from 2002 on use "throttle-by-wire": there's no mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the engine, a good thing, in my view.

6. There is no difference in the suspension system between the LE and XLE -- only the SE has a stiffer suspension. This has been true since 2002.
  • Options
    splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    Edmunds has 166 owners (or people who say they are owners) give reviews. I sorted them by 'lowest rated' and found teh first three pages (out of 17 pages) full of people complaining, generally about the awful transmission. That's a lot of unhappy campers out there. Looks like ten or fifteen percent of owners can't stand their transmissions at least by the Edmunds reviews.
  • Options
    elkeinelkein Member Posts: 19
    This feature is something Toyota has been doing for a couple years. It's a feature-not a defect, it about blew my mind when I test drove a corrolla that did this, it's how I do drive. I appreciate not having to always override what auto trannies are too lame to do.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i think the classification of the driver happens pretty rapidly as explained in some ancient post in another forum by wwest.

btw: i don't think you can do this sort of "learning" / parameter optimization based on the FOB in use, as people often pass keychains, multiple drivers use the same FOB, and there are rentals, etc.

you might be able to do some fine-grain optimization longterm based on where a vehicle is driven (ambient temp and pressure), but because of multiple drivers, you have to learn and learn fast. ;)