Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 Hyundai Veracruz

Comments

• Options
    arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Ford is bringing a 3rd row vehicle in the mix to replace the Freestar and Freestyle. It probably won't be until 2009 though. To appease the public, the Freestyle gets the 3.5L V6 and 6-speed auto, but it will probably still get cut in 2009 to make room for a different vehicle. Also, we are supposed to get something very similar to the euro version of the Focus, which gets pretty good reviews if I'm not mistaken. They are also making a Fusion and Lincoln MKZ coupe. Ford's down but not out. :)
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I'm tired of waiting!!! I want to see this, the new pilot, the highlander- all of 'em. this crossover business is heating up fast. I'll be off my 06 mdx craving in nnovember, and though Acadia is probably my destiny, I know that any thing can take my descision. 3 days ago, I wasd thinking "splurge! Get 07 Mdx." but it doesn't have enough space (coming away from minivan here!)
  • Options
    I was talking to someone from another forum about the Veracruz, and the word is that the Veracruz is focused on interior space and will be shorter overall on the exterior. The speculation is that is will have shorter overhangs but the same big space on the interior. The term they are using is "exterior managability."

This morning Ford just announced part of their "Way Forward" plan was to introduce an all new crossover in 2008. This may be the Freestyle's last year then. We could see something a bit more Edge-like but bigger.
  • Options
    mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    So... this thing's pretty nice, IMO -- even in pre-production, non-Limited form:

Front 3/4
    Interior, 1
    Interior, 2

These were apparently taken at the student-staffed, 20th annual Georgian College Auto Show in Barrie, Ontario.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics.

I really like the interior. I think Hyundai keeps getting better and better with each interior. I guess we'll just have to see how the materials are when it comes out.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    topic, and so much has been off topic, I just thought that I would tell y'all that it is a nice sunny day in Atlanta, about 70-75 degrees, and the same is predicted for tomorrow...:):):):):)...and I am sure that Veracruzs will surely drive well in sunny weather...:):):)
  • Options
    Hyundai has been very tight-lipped about the Veracruz. I think they are hoping to surprise people.

To continue the off topic trend, Mazda CX-9 pricing was revealed today. The veracruz will surely undercut this.

Here is the pricing info for the 2007 CX-9

Sport FWD............$29,630
    Touring FWD..........$31,730
    Grand Touring FWD....$33,270

Sport AWD............$30,830
    Touring AWD..........$30,930
    Grand Touring........$34,470

Packages and Options

Crystal White Pearl Mica Paint............$200
    Power Seat (8 way adjustable w/ lumbar)...$350
    Rear Seat Entertainment System w/ Bose audio package.....$2,560
    Moon roof/ Bose audio package.............$1,760
    Touring Assistance Package................$2,717
    Towing Package............................$450
    Grand Touring Assistance Package..........$2,500

All prices include $595 destination
  • Options
    There is a cool video on Hyundai's Korean website. It doesn't show everything, but it's a bit been than what we have seen previously. Can anybody read Korean?

Hyundai Veracruz
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think if they start the price in the low 20s, then they'd have a winner. I bought the Freestyle for $25k with convenience group, tri-level hvac, curtain airbags...so it wasn't the bare bones version. Plus it had a real 3rd row. So the Veracruz better have something significant to offer, otherwise people will buy Honda instead of Hyundai.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Looks like 10/12 is the unveiling date for the Korean market. Worldwide introduction has been set for January 2007 at NAIAS in Detroit.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    You will find price range similar to Stylefree, starting mid-to-upper 20s (MSRP) - 26,270 base for Stylefree. There are no low 20s in the market for a CUV this size, which makes the Santa Fe an attractive buy, with the starting price in the low 20s, although smaller is size than the upcoming Veracruz.
  • Options
    It will probably start around $25k (MSRP). You will probably get a dealer to deal for about $23,500. What it will have is more horsepower and an smaller exterior with a very roomy interior. All safety features will be standard like all of Hyundai's other products. The Pilot is a beast (4500+ lbs.) with poor interior room and poor gas mileage for it's size.

The Freestyle's transmission will be an orphan after next year, so it might be good until parts run low.
  • Options
    I wish they'd let us have that 3.0L VGT V6 diesel. It's pretty powerful and decent on gas. Maybe the new low-sulfur diesel fuel can help popular diesels here.
  • Options
    jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Stylefree...that's priceless. :)
  • Options
    I'll admit my Freestyle is pretty much style-free, but after my teenage years ended I became pretty uninterested in a cars cosmetics! Now I look at the practical features...I've had it now about 1 1/2 years with zero problems, I get a consistent 25-26mpg on the highway (driving at 70-75mph) and in the low 20s for city/suburb, I've had adults in all three rows with space for everyone and their stuff behind the 3rd row, the engine/transmission is very smooth and quiet but if you want a lot of power you can get it. There will be extra engine noise worse MPG, but that's more of a factor on driving style. It handles very car-like, since it's really a Ford 500 (another very stylish vehicle ;)) station wagon, and you don't need a ladder to climb into it. And it's one of the safest vehicles around. As far as style, the good thing about getting a plain car, like plain clothes, you can keep it for years without it ever going out of style. And I paid $25K for it. Outside of a minivan, I don't think there's another vehicle around with the same passenger space inside (at least when I bought my Freestyle in Feb'05), but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    It's a good, safe vehicle. The only thing that concerns me is that the transmission will no longer be made after this year. That's a pretty new vehicle to have an orphaned transmission. Since they only put it in a couple of vehicles, rebuilt ones will be harder to find too. I have put alot of thought into picking up a used one and saving myself alot of money, but the CX-9 and Veracruz are pretty darn sweet.
  • Options
    I think that the CVT on the Freestyle is being used by another manufacturer, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Ford only uses it in the current Freestyle, 500, and Mariner and Escape hybrids. It is leaving the Freestyle and 500 soon too. The reason that they are not going to use it anymore is that it is rated at a maximum of 258hp. They don't want to get anywhere close to that maximum. To compete in the segment, they must increase hp numbers enough to drop 0-60 to around 8 seconds instead of 8.5. Also, the 6-speed auto is cheaper for them to make. You will probably see the 3.5L V6 with the 6-speed auto in the next one.
  • Options
    berniedgberniedg Member Posts: 54
    O.K, I'm hooked, on seeing new pics of the Veracruz. I admit it !
    Remember, when Mike was giving us tidbits of the new,upcoming Santa Fe. Same thing.
    I'm also tired of reading the Pilot message board, ... wanna be owners, agonizing over shoe-horning 3 kids into the back seats.
    Patience, Hyundai, Mazda, ...Save these people, PLEASE !!!!
    IT will be really funny, how fast things will become "OLD SCHOOL"
    just wait a year, lol
  • Options
    Yeah, I was definitely in the "I love the Santa Fe!" group until my wife told me it was too small for her (secret code for "I want you to spend more money on me!"). The Veracruz seems to be pretty nice. Here's a cool website for the Veracruz if you can translate Korean.

Here's what I got from the Article. The Veracruz will be smaller in overall length than all of the others at approximately 192 inches (very parkable), but the wheelbase at 113 is just as long, meaning interior space will be awesome for a vehicle that size and weight should be manageable. Power will probably be higher than any of the other recent entries so it will fly, in comparison. The only downside is it will probably have a bit less room behind the 3rd row
  • Options
    If I say I'm posting a link, I guess I should actually post it. :)

Hyundai Veracruz
  • Options
    Seems pretty stupid to get rid of a CVT transmission just to drop the 0-60 numbers for this type of vehicle. I guess as long as the mpg remains the same and the 6spd is smooth.
  • Options
    It's more people perception of the hp numbers. People say "Chevy's crossover has 267hp" so why should I settle for 203hp in a vehicle the same size. It's about perceived value. It gives the Chevy a psychological edge despite 0-60 numbers being nearly the same.

The 3.5L 265hp V6 is supposed to make about 19/25 in the Edge. This is without direct injection or variable valve timing. Those could be added by the time Ford's new crossover hits the market. They should help gas mileage and performance increase. The 6-speed will be much cheaper to manufacture and easier to work on as well. (Not many mechanics, even at Ford dealerships from what I've heard, are qualified to work on the CVT.)
  • Options
    mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Here are the first official shots -- more to come when the vehicle debuts in Korea on the 12th:

Click to view images.

I'll also post a profile photo (the second shot was lightened and the third shot has the contrast cranked up):

Click to view images.

Mike
  • Options
    Here's a couple more shots. Not too shabby. Somebody's getting fired. :)

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3
  • Options
    astorastor Member Posts: 30
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!! This will probably be my next SUV. I've been a loyal Honda consumer for over 18years. I don't like the look of the Honda Pilot it's just too generic, the new '07 Acura MDX and the new '07 Honda CRV are a complete styling disaster IMHO. :)
  • Options
    Pictures are one thing, but I wouldn't write the check until after a thorough test drive. When you sit in any Honda, there is a feeling of solidness and quality that goes beyond just a look. Not saying that the Veracruz won't measure up, but just that it's hard to tell from photos.
  • Options
    Hey bobw3 try driving the '06 or 07 Hyundai Sonata?
    I rented one for a couple of weeks and drove up to Montreal, Canada putting 3000+ miles on the vehicle, I was really impressed, quality and fit were top notch very close to the Toyota Camry and Honda. Gaps between body panels were really tight. Much tighter than the Honda or Camry. The Sonata was quieter than both at idle and 70mph. The Sonata interior was roomier than the Camry. The people at hyundai really mean business and are more than ready to take on Toyota and Honda. A few years ago it would have been blasphemy comparing a Hyundai to a Toyota or Honda.
  • Options
    The Veracruz will be unveiled tomorrow according to the writers over at autoblog. They also posted a Korean commercial for the new Veracruz.
    Commercial
  • Options
    Only styling issue for me, is the Hyundai symbol in lower center of grill. A bit odd, somehow. Of course, not as bad as Ford's Bic Shaver front grills.

These new crossovers are seriously blurring the distinction between mini-vans, SUV's, and tall wagons, aren't they.

I better buy a Dodge Caravan QUICK, before they replace the sliding doors with hinges, and charge an extra 10k for it.

How long before the general public understands the ruse placed upon them ?
  • Options
    loachloach Member Posts: 246
    If you could get a Dodge Caravan with AWD, then your comment might make some sense. But you can't, so it doesn't.
  • Options
    Of course, you'll have to get your own personal mechanic on call for the Caravan. Too many people I know have horror stories about the Caravan.

I don't really think it's a ruse. I think it's just a matter of form over function. Another term for it would be personal preference.
  • Options
    It's perceived more perceived solidness than actual solidness. Honda and Toyota make darn good 4-cyl engines. Anything above that is just as suspect.
  • Options
    .... Form over function, well spoken. The choices we have are fantastic. Just not sure, I'm into paying for the latest form of the day, probably will though.
    Cheers,
  • Options
    Pretty always costs more... ask the guys with trophy wives! :)

Here are some more pics (text in Korean)

Veracruz Release 1

Veracruz Release 2
  • Options
    I bought a Ford Freestyle because I dislike sliding doors. They're either too heavy to close and if powered, they are slow to close and in my opinion, sliding doors are just a future problem (especially the powered ones) waiting to happen. Give me a regular door anytime and I'll just put rubber strips along the edges to prevent kids from banging other cars. Plus, the 2nd row for all minivans I've sat in seem to low to the floor, with the knees in the air feeling...even in an Odyssey. Of course if you really need to use all three rows all of the time, then a minivan would make the most sense. But if you only need a 3rd row occasionally, I'll take a crossover.
  • Options
    splx81splx81 Member Posts: 23
    imageimageimageimage
    spec
    3.0 v6 DISEL
    240hp 46tq(3800rpm)
  • Options
    IMHO the Veracruz looks much nicer than the '07 Acura MDX and '07 Lexus RX350. The '07 Honda CRV looks hideous it's a complete styling disaster!!!
  • Options
    The interior of the Veracruz from those shots looks nicer than any Hyundai I've ever seen. The blue illuminated Veracruz logos by the doors look great! The car also appears to have a navigation screen, extensive second row controls, soft leather seats, tons of legroom between the rows, LOTS of LEDs that make up the rear lights, good chrome accents on the exterior, and what appears to be real wood and brushed aluminum trim all over the interior(most likely fake, though it still looks stunning)!

I can't believe this is the same car I was looking at in spy pics a few weeks ago! Up until now I was thinking Buick Enclave or Hyundai Veracruz... well, that's a no brainer! Boy was I off. Although the Enclave will still be more luxurious and a little better looking, it will be priced thousands of dollars higher. In the end I think my next car will be an Enclave, but Hyundai is right up there.

Way to go Hyundai! You've earned my full respect!
  • Options
    test_drivertest_driver Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    How can you compare a Buick a GM product with any Asian car product. Simply put, there's just no comparision. In terms of car companies producing reliable quality products, I rank Toyota #1, Honda #2, Hyundai #3, Nissan#4 and then the rest I could care less about. I don't think there's a GM product in the Top 15. I had a GM car in college in the early '80's and what a piece of junk it was.
  • Options
    2006 JD Power Initial Quality Study

1) Porsche
    2) Lexus
    3) Hyundai
    4) Toyota
    Nissan didn't make the top 10. Honda was 5th.

2006 JD Power Dependability Study (Cars from 2003-2006)

1) Lexus
    2) Mercury
    3) Buick
    4) Cadillac
    Nissan did not make the top 10. Toyota is 5th. Honda is 7th. Hyundai did not make the top 10.

I can understand your hatred for GM. I had a POS 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Toyota is actually falling from these lists, especially after all the problems being reported with the 2007 Camry. The more quantity an auto maker produces, the more problems. I give you the Toyota of today, and the GM and Ford of yesterday.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Take it from one Hyundai owner that previous Hyundai vehicles I've owned with their 4-cylinder DOHC engines have made it to at least 200K without any major repairs - just normal preventive maintenance as per the Owner's Manual. I've owned Honda, Toyota, SAAB, and Volvo - all noted for long-lived engines, and the Hyundai's have been absolutely no worse. Times have changed, and the those in the USA need to accept that. I have experience with all of the aforementioned marques since 1968, so I think I can speak objectively.

Even more important has been the excellent attitude and service provided by the Hyundai dealers I've dealt with over the years. I perform all of the oil changes on my cars, as well as most minor maintenance, and the dealer has never questioned a warranty claim (only had one minor claim!) during the 100K/10Yr. powertrain warranty on any of the Hyundais I've owned. All you have to do is document all of your "self-performed" maintenance. Note: Hyundai allows all owners to access its corporate TSB, Maintenance, and Online Tech Manuals, as well as permits you to set up an Online Self-Performed Maintenance Record - all free.

What's even more interesting, I've never bought a Hyundai from my local dealer! Those in the Service Department at the local Hyundai dealer don't care where the car was purchased. Morever, I've received more input from Hyundai corporate on my overall satisfaction over the years than I ever had with any other manufacturer. This is one company who is very serious about the USA market.
  • Options
    Hyundai is getting bigger and better at an astonishing rate, while others are maintaining the status quo. If they don't watch it, Hyundai will keep taking more and more of their business.

The problem with GM, Ford, and several other manufacturers is inconsistency. My 1995 Cutlass Supreme was a piece of crap. It lasted about 135,000 miles (blew head gasket, warped head, anti-freeze in the block) only because of the constant maintenance and repairs that were made. It was made cheaply inside and out, but my friend had a 1991 Lumina, which shares a vast number of parts including the engine, is still kicking at 228,000 miles.
  • Options
    I had a GM car in college in the early '80's and what a piece of junk it was.

Sort of hard to compare a GM car from the early 80's to today. A lot has changed in 25 years!

But it's funny when I hear about Saab and Volvo and how their engines last forever. I think the main reason is that Saab and Volvo owners (at least the ones I've known...mostly in California) are so used to routinely taking the cars to "their mechanic" month after month fixing everything surrounding the engine, that the cars do last a long time and they're very loyal to their car. If you took any car to a mechanic month after month, year after year then the car would last a long time. But I've never seen Saab or Volvo near the top of any quality survey.
  • Options
    any idea of the exterior dimensions of the Veracruz?
  • Options
    Based on converting dimensions from mm to inches, it's about 190.5 inches long (8 inches shorter than a CX-9 or Pacifica), but it has a 113 wheelbase which is very long for that length (Same as CX-9). It's about 77.5 inches wide and 69 inches tall. It should be pretty roomy without being hard to park or maneuver. Overhangs are very short. The real test of room will be sitting in one, and seeing information on how many cubic feet of space is available. I'm guessing somewhere in the mid to high 90's, which is less than the CX-9 and new GM SUV's but more than the Pacifica.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    No, I would agree on that, in terms of SAAB and Volvo and quality surveys.

However, I still have two classic 900 SAABs - one a 1985 900 8-valve sedan and the other a 1987 900S 16-valve hatchback - and both have been extraoridinarily reliable. Each now has over 200K, and nothing other than preventive maintenance has been to the engine, or the rest of the car(s). The 8-valve has had one clutch replacement, and neither car has experienced any transmission problems - 5-speed manual on the 8-valve and 3-speed Borg-Warner automatic on the 16-valve. I perform ALL maintenance on the cars as the closest dealer is 100 miles away.

Having owned SAABs and Volvos, the critical aspect of the cars is preventive maintenace - as it is with all vehicles. One of the biggest problems I've seen with these two marques is that quite a number of owners drive them into the ground, especially Volvos, and don't perform proper maintenance.

I really haven't experienced too many problems with accessory items either on both cars. Starters, alternators, power steering pumps - yes, but these are normal maintenance items after that many miles and years. I really don't have any complaints, but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones!

My 1985 SAAB is as tight and squeak/rattle free as the day I drove it off of the dealer's lot in April 1985. BTW . . . the venerable Volvo B18 and B20-series Inline-4 OHV engines have more square inches of main bearing area than a Chevy 350 cubic inch V8. This equates to tremendous reliability and ruggedness of the bottom end of those engines.
  • Options
    don't perform proper maintenance...Starters, alternators, power steering pumps - yes, but these are normal maintenance items after that many miles and years.

I guess that's what I mean. What do you consider "maintenance?" I consider that oil changes, replacing tires, coolant, timing belt, etc...all those things in the owner manual's maintenance handbook. I don't consider replacing starters, alternators, power-steering pumps, etc as normal maintenance...those are repairs that shouldn't need to occur for a couple of hundred thousand miles. At least people are posting that they've had Honda, Toyota and other makes for a lot of years and a lot of miles without having to replace those items.

I guess my definition of maintenace doesn't include things that you have to do, and I can't imagine replacing an alternator or starter every 50,000 miles as part of "preventive maintenance."