Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 Hyundai Veracruz

Comments

• Options
    toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    The dealer network is the weak link at least here in AZ. I visit many showrooms and Hyundai ranks at bottom. When folks pay above $30,000 they want to be treated right. Hyundai needs to emulate the premium dealers if they are going to attempt to capture any meaningful piece of that market.

Until they get "it" we can reap the benefits of $7K off MSRP for a decent vehicle with a good warranty.
  • Options
    arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The dealer network in most places seems to be the weak link for Hyundai. We have several good Hyundai dealers around my area, but I guess we're lucky. The quietness is partially due to no new news to report. Everything seems to be speculation. There was a dry spell like this with the CX-9 as well. The only one that didn't was the GM and Ford models because there are enough loud GM and Ford people to fill any forum. ;)
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    they may be advertised as "$7K off MSRP," but look at those ads very carefully, as they probably include every rebate available (which most don't qualify for) and some kind of downpayment. the fully loaded azera doesn't have anywhere near 7k markup.
  • Options
    mrmister2000mrmister2000 Member Posts: 86
    Again, conventionally, Hyundai cars released in North
    America have a lot less option compared to Korean market.

Agreed. I plan on leasing a new SUV in the springtime and I absolutely love the interior and exterior looks of the Santa Fe, for example, but due to it's "technologically crippled" nature I will most likely be getting a new Mitsubishi Outlander, instead.

My guess is that the American version of the Veracruz will have little more added features than does the Korean version of the Santa Fe, which is sad... all while likely costing upwards of 10K more than a Santa Fe, fully-loaded.
  • Options
    The only real things the Veracruz doesn't have over the Outlander is Bluetooth, HID headlights, and navigation (currently ;) ). Fully loaded without those features a FWD Outlander is $29k. An equivalent Veracruz will most like be $35-36k. What you get for your money is added space in all three rows (3rd row in an Outlander is not even worthy for my dogs), 40hp 53ft lbs, leather seating in the 3rd row, cooled center console, dual zone air, keyless start, backup warning system, memory seats and pedals, alluminum scuff plates, power liftgate, and rain sensing wipers. I don't think it's quite as bad as you are trying to make it. It's actually priced very well compared to it's competitors. The Mazda CX-9 and GMC Acadia are over $40k with the same options. The Outlander really is more of a comparison to the Santa Fe anyway.
  • Options
    Hi Arumage,

My comparison was meant more for the U.S. version of the Santa fe and the Outlander, than it was for the Veracruz and the Outlander.

What I had been trying to say was that it seems as if a lot of the extra gadetry which the overseas version of the Santa Fe includes over its U.S. counterpart is the same gadgetry which enables Hyundai to call the Veracruz a "luxury suv" over here. In other words, many (although of course, not all) of the Veracruz's "high-end" features can be found on the non luxury vehicle that is the "overseas" Santa Fe.

My point is simply that I wish Hyundai would at least make some of the neat "extras" which come standard with the Veracruz "options" on the Santa Fe. But then again, if they did that then they would no longer be able to label the Veracruz as being a luxury 'ute.

That aside, I certainly do like the Veracruz and find some of its features to be highly desirable. Next weekend, I will be going to the Philadelphia Auto Show and have a chance to see the Veracruz up close and in person. I can't wait! If it's as nice as I think it will be and if the pricing seems reasonable (once it's announced) I might even consider getting one. But only time will tell...
  • Options
    Yeah, the Santa Fe would be nicer with some of the extras. I would especially love the diesel that they get. I've head they squeeze 35 mpg out of it in routine driving. Hyundai Korea really doesn't care to send those high tech gadgets our way for some reason. HMA would love to have them though. The Santa FE could also use a new transmission. The five speed has a little lag and does a little gear hunting. The 6-speed in the Veracruz is sourced from Aisin which does alot of work with Mazda and Ford (Fusion and Five Hundred). I thought the Santa Fe had wonderful road manners though. It's probably more of a cruiser than the Outlander. Mitsubishi really uses its relationship with Chrysler (owns 37% of Mitsubishi shares)to get its technical goodies. Chrysler doesn't own enough of Hyundai (10.5%) to help them out. Chrysler is also selling it shares too.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FWIW, Chrysler no longer has any ownership stake in Mitsubishi (sold off in 2005) or Hyundai (sold off in 2004).
  • Options
    So I see, but they still source the nav system from Chrysler. It's identical to the MyGig system.
  • Options
    antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    My point is simply that I wish Hyundai would at least make some of the neat "extras" which come standard with the Veracruz "options" on the Santa Fe. But then again, if they did that then they would no longer be able to label the Veracruz as being a luxury 'ute.

Indeed! I've been looking seriously at the Santa Fe as my next SUV. In Canada, Hyundai offers only one audio system (a single disc CD player with no IPod input) across all trim levels of the Santa Fe. The Salesman I've been dealing with actually suggested that in order to get a better sound system, I should seriously consider the Veracruz instead.
  • Options
    That's just one good example. Here in the U.S. if one wishes to get a Santa Fe with a high-end audio system we must shell out something like $4,000 for a complete rear-entertainment system. No upgraded sound system is available as a stand-alone option. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend that much on the entertainment system when all I really want is a few extra upgraded speakers and a head unit of higher quality.
  • Options
    I would especially love the diesel that they get. I've head they squeeze 35 mpg out of it in routine driving.

Amazing, isn't it?!? Considering how "SUV/Big-Truck Crazed" many Americans are, as well as the cost of gas now, you'd think that they would be making it a top priority to get diesel's like that over here. An SUV that gets 35MPG? That's around what a gasoline-powered Toyota Camry (or similar family sedan-type vehicle) gets, right?

I understand that there are still issues with emissions in relation to diesels, but isn't so much the case anymore, is it? I think they've gotten a lot cleaner over the past few years.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    If you can do away with the tech items, which most buyers seemed to be able to live without (e.g. Navi - less than 8%), you would find crossovers like the Santa Fe very much a desirable vehicle. Among many other highs, I found the Santa Fe as one of the few SUVs/Crossovers in the market having a comfortable third row seating for adults, even during long road trips. From my own personal experiences, I would say the Santa Fe an overall better vehicle than the Outlander, where the SF lacks, it makes up for in other areas (e.g. build quality, elegant interior). Driving the Santa Fe just seemed that much more enjoyable, and it was definitely a looker!! I hope one day I can become a SF owner :)

Back to tech items, as discussed, it would not be too hard for Hyundai to bring over these tech items, which most have already been offered in its home market, but I get the feeling the company has been very sensitive about pricing in the US, especially as we know how pricey these items can get. Perhaps Hyundai is taking baby steps, and building up its brand image first, which we also know takes time and effort to turnaround. Having Americans accepting and purchasing a loaded Azera or Santa Fe for north of $30K probably took a little time, but the tremendous improvements have most definitely compensated, putting its range of vehicles on-par with rivals, we are seeing the acceptance.

I speculate a loaded Veracruz with all options would cost somewhere around mid-30s/upper 30s, and when its luxury RWD sedan is ready for delivery, I hope these tech items would be phased in for range of Hyundai vehicles

Good luck with your lease. Keep us updated with your test drives and final decision.

PS: Aftermarket is always there to compensate for the void :)
  • Options
    And on the other end, Chrysler still benefits from Mitsu platforms, but that should end soon.
  • Options
    Hi joe97.

This may sound funny, but I actually sort of "worship" the new Santa Fe and I think it is about one of the best-looking, mechanically sound, and functional SUV's out there. I'm also blown away by the quality leaps that Hyundai has made over the years and would personally be proud to pull up in front of the neighbors in a new Santa Fe.

But, unfortunatly for me, being a 28 year old techie/geek/nerd with a computer degree I am strongly drawn to all that is "tech". This is really my ONLY complaint with the Santa Fe... the "current" lack of tech. I'm sure that this will be addressed in future years, but I just suppose that for now I'm a bit dissappointed that we are not at least offered the option of paying extra for the gadets. I want my toys!!! ;)

That is the ONE area in which the Mitsu is currently superior, but if both the Santa fe and the Outlander could be had with essentially the same tech I would most likely choose the Santa Fe. This is actually just one more reason why I am planning on leasing, instead of buying. It will give me a chance to see what these models will offer a few years down the road and maybe then I'll feel comfortable with owning a truck once again, as I do now. One thing is for sure, Ford has lost my confidence (but certainly gained a lot of my $$$ in the past year trying to fix problems on a truck with only 47K miles on it, and which had been properly maintained (more like "babied") the whole time).

Like you, I also think that a loaded Veracruz will probably be around the high 30's, which puts it a little out of my price range right now... unless substantial incentives are to be offered upon release. Of course, by the time that a 3-year lease of either a Santa or an Outlander is up the prices for the Veracruz will have come down and it might be a little more attainable to me. Of course, after I see one and get back from the car show next weekend I might start to get excited and foam at the mouth at every mention of the Veracruz and will likelty consider trying to sell a kidney if that would help me to get into one! :P

Back to reality, Hyundai gets a great deal of respect from me from having made such a drastic turn-around in recent years and I am sure that I will most certainly continue to place them near or at the top of my list.
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    If you can do away with the tech items, which most buyers seemed to be able to live without (e.g. Navi - less than 8%)...

I think this statistic will very rapidly increase in the next few years, i.e. NAVs are really taking off. Heck, even my inlaws are talking about getting one in their next car, and this is after having seen one in action only once.

Which is why it's really too bad the Veracruz won't offer the NAV and bluetooth--in fact, it makes absolutely not sense considering what the competition has to offer. I've been saving up to get these little goodies, and my wife really likes the looks of this new CUV, but she too likes the idea of NAV and hands-free phone (she hates holding a phone while driving).

Hopefully they'll see the light and offer something in the next 6 months or so...that's when I'll be ready to buy.
  • Options
    Thumbs up on the post, agreed with you on many respects. If more of us preached to Hyundai about these tech items, maybe they would eventually cave in :)

As said, keep us posted with you final choice. Good luck and happy motoring.
  • Options
    I actually have Nav in my current car, long story short, the dealer threw in the Navigation package free, as part of a favor they owe me ;) I really don't have any preference for or against but I have actually used my McNally and highlighter more times than I have on my Nav :)

To my understanding, Nav is still an expensive option to many, averaging around 2k depending on models. I have been told the portable aftermarkets (e.g. Garmin) ones are taking off as of late. I mention Garmin because customers are able to get them at Hyundai as dealer-installed options.

By the way, don't count out Nav just yet on the Veracruz, they maybe offered at launch or close to launch, I hear, for the North American market...we'll find out more info when the Veracruz is closer for delivery.

No bluetooth, no problem - just get a cell phone with speaker capability, works just as well.
  • Options
    I actually think I would forgo factory nav for the new Alpine unit that debuted at CES. It has an internal portable unit that acts as the brains for the large unit. When the car is parked, the portable unit can be removed and used wherever you want. It still plays DVD's and such too. The speculated price isn't all that bad either. It's still cheaper than factory nav.
  • Options
    The only issue with an aftermarket NAV is that I'm a bit of a stickler for the "stock" look. Some aftermarket components look out of place sometimes, and looking at some pictures of the head unit in the Veracruz, I'm not so sure an aftermarket unit would blend in nicely, especially since the console plastic is gray, and seems to be molded in one piece (see this picture here)

Sure, I could still pick up a Garmin and maybe hardwire it somehow so the wires don't dangle all over the place. As for the bluetooth, it's just a nice feature--there's something to be said for not having to touch the phone at all to answer and place a call
  • Options
    There is still some speculation about a factory nav being available shortly after release, but nobody seems to know for sure.
  • Options
    tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    From my perspective, having the option of a factory navigation unit is expected at this price range in the U.S. market. I would not consider the Veracruz unless it has this option, since all the other vehicles I'm considering (primarily the GM Lambdas and the Mazda CX-9) have it.
  • Options
    The question is... "are you going to purchase that option on your next vehicle?" otherwise it's irrelevent. So many people say "I'm going to get navigation on my next vehicle" then get sticker shock and skip it. It really is irrelevent to me because if my ability to read a map is going to save me $2k, I'm going to keep reading a map. :P

That being said, I'm still hoping they do release that option soon. I think that on a vehicle of this caliber, especially since it has the high tech keyless start/entry, has to have this to draw people the are already in the high end market.
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Or just buy a Garmin for a couple hundred bucks... ;)
  • Options
    pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Amen -
  • Options
    ssangyong_carsssangyong_cars Member Posts: 14
    http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11868/2007-hyundai-veracruz.html

The Hyundai Veracruz will be priced at 27,500
  • Options
    Hyundai's Veracruz competitors are the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia

Also the GMC Acadia is priced at $29,225-$37,370
    and the Saturn Outlook is priced at $27,255-$31,555
  • Options
    Hyundai/Kia Navagation system are not only sold in Korea
    there are also sold in Europe, but only in some places in
    Europe
  • Options
    I heard Hyundai/Kia are going to have Navagation Systems in U.S.A somewhere this year i think in the Fall after the 2008 Hyundai Equus comes out
  • Options
    The Navigating Systems in the pictures are from
    LG Electronics (LG makes Navigating systems for Hyundai/Kia)
    http://i18.tinypic.com/47wv4si.jpg
    http://i18.tinypic.com/48xd6on.jpg
    but the pictures are only the Hyundai Veracruz Korean Version
  • Options
    fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    NAV is must option for me. Otherwise I will go for CX-9.
  • Options
    I'm not sure that article is entirely accurate, especially given it's date of release, but that sounds like it's about right.
  • Options
    Most crossovers in this segment is (and expected to - for those price ranges not released yet) priced between sub-30K to sub-40K, depending on models, trims, and packages.
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    The Hyundai Veracruz will be priced at 27,500

This is C&D from October. I was told by a Hyundai rep at the auto show that it would be more like starting at just a little under $30k.

We'll see soon.
  • Options
    Starting a little under $30k is not exactly a "great deal", especially since the larger Acadia/Outlook start right in that range, as does the CX-9. However, I'm thinking that the price difference will be more obvious once you load it up, i.e. a nicely loaded Veracruz will be cheaper than the nicely loaded competition (at least it should be, I still see Hyundai as a cheaper alternative to Japanese cars).
  • Options
    wheelie1wheelie1 Member Posts: 21
    Yahoo News reports Hyundai Motor Co. plans to launch the Veracruz in the U.S. market in March. :P

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070211/3/12dzg.html
  • Options
    There are alot more standard options on the Veracruz like:

power heated outside mirrors
    security alarm
    trip computer
    electronic brake force distribution
    active front head restraints
    turn signals on side mirrors
    conversation mirror

The only other problems I see with the Acadia is that you have to jump up $4k to the next option package, the low to the floor 2nd and 3rd row seats, and the high curb weight. I drove the CX-9 this weekend, and it drove very, very nice. It's no sports car, but it does make you forget that you're driving a vehicle that large very easily. The only things I still don't like is the 3rd row's headroom, 2nd row entry/exit, and packaging of Bose stereo with the moonroof. I love that every option I want is included in the Limited Veracruz so I don't have to purchase options I don't want to get the ones that I do. I think the Veracruz will offer what I want in a smaller, cheaper, more manueverable package, although all is subject to a test drive. :P
  • Options
    doc144doc144 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard when the Veracruz will actually be in showrooms? One salesman told me not until May or June. But I wasn't sure if he was just trying to get me to consider something else more immediately. Any ideas from those in the know?
  • Options
    Nobody seems to have a concrete time. That article a few posts back says March. I'm guessing (optimistically) April myself since pricing has not been officially released. The suspense is killing me. :P
  • Options
    pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    My dealer gave me a private showing of the Limited 07 Santa Fe 8 weeks before it hit the floor. He told me the Veracruz should be in his hands around March for an April release. I bought my wife the 07 Entourage SE but she drives my Santa more than hers. She now wants the Veracruz instead. I plan on trading in the Entourage for the Veracruz.

As soon as I get the call to see it I will post more info...
  • Options
    A salesman told me sometime in the summer (he sounded like he was guessing), but a salesman at the Philadelphia auto show said she heard it would be March. To support that timetable, I found a news report that quotes Hyundai Motor Co. stating that it plans to launch the Veracruz in the U.S. market in March. I can't verify since I've seen nothing official on Hyundai's corporate site, but I'm inclined to believe it will be around late March and no later than early April. Follow the link:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070211/3/12dzg.html
  • Options
    Hi wheelie1,

When you are at the Philly auto show did they actually have a Veracruz there on display? If so, what did you think? Any pics that you could post? I had meant to look for it while I was there, but had inadvertantly found myself too busy drooling over the Slate Blue Santa Fe Limited they had out on the showroom floor and had totally forgot about the Veracruz. :P
  • Options
    Detroit Auto Show

I posted these a while back. These are pictures someone took at the Detroit Auto Show. Most of them are of the interior. He tried to take pictures of the stuff you wouldn't see regularly.
  • Options
    aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    http://ad.hyundai-motor.com/catalog/veracruz/index.html

Go to this link and enjoy a very comprehensive viewing of the various features of the Veracruz. It's from the Korean website, but it's half English, half Korean; so you can still make out most of what's being featured. After you hit the "enter" button, click on the "skip" button in the lower right and it will bring you to the English menu, then click away and enjoy.

Looks like a great nav system, and the center console is very Lexus like. I had been eyeing the CX-9 as our minivan replacement this spring, but based on this preview I'm holding off until I get to experience the Veracruz. The tan/sunburnt orange leather seats look great. The interior overall is very attractive. Far superior looking to the Acadia.

The only features I can't tell if it has that I want are rear view camera (although back up sensors are available) and bluetooth. If its engine, transmission and ride/handling are as good as its interior looks, then this will be a big winner -- plus my next car. Now for that dreaded wait. :shades:

M8
  • Options
    When you are at the Philly auto show did they actually have a Veracruz there on display? If so, what did you think?

There was one Veracruz on display. Unfortunately, it was up on one of those inaccesible rotating pedastals. The dealer was nice enough to act as my hands opening and closing doors and so on, but I was so disappointed in not getting to sit in the leather and play. I don't have pics, but I can tell you I'm impressed so far. The exterior is more impressive in person. I was a little underwhelmed by the front end treatment, but though it doesn't knock my socks off, I would be happy with it. If the ride is as good as the looks and features, I'll buy it. :D
  • Options
    From my understanding bluetooth will not be available at all for the Hyundai. Navigation will be available at some time, but I'm not sure about the backup camera or if one/both will be available by initial release. The word is that it will be a collaborative system between LG and Hyundai. Someone who drove a prototype Veracruz said that the ride is better than that of the Santa Fe but not quite as harsh/sporty as the CX-9. Acceleration wise, it has the best power to weight ratio of all the 3 you mentioned.
  • Options
    My wife got a car from a Hyundai dealer we had talked to. They said they would have their first Veracuz very late this month or early next month.
  • Options
    skydocskydoc Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any information on the towing capacity of the Veracruz? It seems to have the horsepower and torque but I am wondering about the frame?
  • Options
    Same as the Santa Fe, 3500 lbs. I think it's less about the frame and more about the transmission in the case of the Veracruz.
  • Options
    antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Also looking forward to seeing them in Canada. I'm hoping that Hyundai does a better job of equipping the Canadian version of the Veracruz than they've done for the Santa Fe. Even for the highest trim level of Santa Fe, I would have to go aftermarket for a CD changer or an MP3-player input.