Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I guess I don't understand camyg's posting...where is the reading referred to as 'indicated' on the car.

Don't understand the question.

You have an "instant" FE gage on the left of the dash.

You have a Tank Average as one of the several modes on the screen between the Instant gage and the speedo.

If you have the Nav system you have a screen showing the consumption by minute for the past 30 minutes and you have a reset button to reset the average FE calculation for your trip.

However I'm not sure what you mean by "indicated" reading.
  • clfrunclfrun Posts: 11
    Thanks...I may be misunderstanding the original posting...I do have NAV, but have not used the screen you reference...will try to do on this trip to Lansing, MI. Maybe I need to do some more homework.

Appreciate the reply...
    Maybe I need to do some more homework.

My wife gets upset with me for using the Consumption and Energy screens instead of the NAV mapping screen most of the time. I know where I'm at most of the time so I find using these screens is more interesting and helps me to understand what's going on under the hood.

While the price of the NAV system can't be justified by having these two screen options I do find them a nice bonus over the non-NAV system cars. It certainly provides me "entertainment".
  • primo2primo2 Posts: 31
    fyi...got 42.8 mpg all highway...i'm sure it would have been better if i didn't run the a/c the entire trip...average speed was 67 mph
  • mytchandmbmytchandmb Posts: 10
    We're on our second week with our TCH. We also got low 26mpg on our local trips. But we logged 41+ on highway. Our actual mpg for our 1st tank with 1/3 highway, was just under 30 mpg.

To clarify our "city" driving, it is my wife driving like a typical "soccer mom" driving 10 minutes to each dropoff/pickup. The computer readout displays in the low 30's when we drive longer than 15 or so minutes.

I tried all the techniques in the hybrid forums and could not improve on it. As a comparison, our AWD station wagon with an EPA rating of 19 gets 14 in identical driving. When we had a Dodge Caravan FWD which got about 15.

We hope it gets better when it breaks in, even still we reduce our gas consumption by 1/2.
  • umpire63umpire63 Posts: 19
    The verage economy on our first tank was 39.2 MPG. So far the second tank is running right at 38 MPG, though most of it has been in town, while the first tank was almost all highway miles.
    I tried all the techniques in the hybrid forums and could not improve on it.

Keep trying (practicing). I don't see any way to get that low if you're serious about getting max FE. many people on here say they just want to drive it and that's OK. But if you really want to try and are dedicated to that effort it can and will pay off with higher numbers. I'm convinced anyone can average 35 if they are willing to sacrifice old driving styles (however many people are not)
  • clfrunclfrun Posts: 11
    Good news...I found the screens...they are addictive...I found myself checking the screen every 30 minutes or so. I averaged 36.96 on the first tank and 42.13 MPG on the second tank...happy as can be with these numbers. I have modified my driving style, but then again I also have modified the amount of money I am spending to support the oil rich countries.
    I have modified my driving style,

I think that is the singlemost important issue with maximizing FE with a hybrid. It seems many people buy these and don't want to change the way they drive. Yes the hybrid will still do better than the 4c but the gains driving with hybrid techniques is nothing short of amazing.

I bought the hybrid recognizing it would be a major shift in my driving attitude. I was not real sure I would stick with it but after 7400 miles I have bought into this driving style.

My friends think I've lost my marbles. I've always driven 10 to 15 mph OVER the limit (sometimes more), now I typically drive 5 mph UNDER the limit. It's less stressful driving like this and great for my FE.

I've found that driving at the limit usually means you're globbed up with cars all around you. That's why I always drove over the limit. Stay in front, when you catch up pass'em all and get in front. I've drove this way for 30 years, usually with cars quite capable of staying in front. NOW, I've found that at 5 mph under the limit you don't get stuck in the middle of a crowd of cars. I absolutely recommend this to everyone. It's relaxing to drive this way (on 4 lane roads at least_on 2 lane roads people get irritated)
  • hybridguyhybridguy Posts: 3
    We took our new TCH out for a fun drive. The route was ~230 miles under ideal conditions (relatively flat open local roads, 50-60 MPH cruising speed, only 2 to 3 lights in each direction. I was extremely pleased with the TCH performance, ~42 MPG. Not bad when you consider we were not using any special techniques.
    Not bad when you consider we were not using any special techniques.

The nice thing about the hybrid system is it uses those "special" methods even whe you don't want to focus on it. Yes there are advantages to doing certain things to push the computer to do what you want but overall it will take care of a minimum of the decisions to still provide good FE
  • stj4stj4 Posts: 27
    I could not agree with you more on the change in the driving style.

I used to drive only on the leftmost lane, also with a quite capable German auto. Now I see myself driving on the right most lane.

My wife now complains I am driving too slow (usually at speed limit on local roadswhen no-one is behind me, or 5 miles under the limit on highways). I still am stuck at 40.4 mpg @ the best tank of gas.

Regardless of what I try, I cannot get the average higher than that. may be the next thing to do is to increase the tire pressures...
  • kennekenne Posts: 1
    Just finished 3900 miles on the TCH. Actual mileage was 42.4.
    (92.0 gals.).
    On a 1280 mile trip, got 40.9. That included driving in heavy rain, which I feel cuts down on mileage because of rolling resistance. We went through Chicago and Milwaukee in fairly heavy traffic.
    Love the car overall. My other car is a 2004 Lexus ES 330.I improved MPG on that one about 1.5-2.0 MPG by installing a K&N high performance air filter. Costs about $50 including the re-oiling kit. It is supposed to be good for 1 million miles and needs to be cleaned every 50,000 miles. It is a simple direct replacement for the OEM filter. The Lexus usually gets 26-28 in mixed driving.
  • willybillwillybill Posts: 83
    Just reading about the common practice of replacing the air in tires with nitrogen for an added 3% economy.. The MSNBC article spoke of vehicles with remote tire pressure sensors as benefitting from the reduced fluctations in pressure that nitrogen can provide.
    There are so many mileage aware people on the forum, that it occurred to me to ask if anyone had done it on a TCH.
    :confuse:
    The MSNBC artice on Nitrogen in tires.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14121979/
  • nmtchnmtch Posts: 2
    Update. With ECO on, higher AC temp and change in driving habits, I've gotten it up to 29 mpg city per tank of gas. Considering that work to home is 10 miles, all uphill with numerous traffic lights and my other trips are shorter, that's probably the best I can do. My Ford Taurus got 16 under the same conditions.
    If it's all uphill going to work, isn't it all downhill going home?
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    Well I have only had my TCH 2 weeks and 650 miles. I commute 18 miles each way, the am run is better due to less traffice and I typically get 36-38MPG, on way home traffic is worse, more stop and go so I get aroun 32-33MPG. It is 2-3 lane state road, with lights and mostly 45-55. I used to drive a TL and was an agressive driver, few people passed me. Funny how that MPG guage and ECO gauge can have so much impact on your driving style! I have tamed my driving a bit, but am not as tame as most of the others posting here. I gather I could squeak another 1-2MPG out if I really was obsessed with the gauge. First tank averaged 32-33 but tires were 7 lbs under and I had 4 adults most of that time, this tank is averaging 34.5 so far.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,758
    My guess is 3% is well within the error range of tank-to-tank calculations and the variability of driving cycles is even more. Most of the people claiming mpg benefits for nitrogen are the sellers. The evidence is anecdotal and the benefits are psychological, imo. ;)
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    I think you are better off just maitaining good PSI, I generally go 3-4 PSI over mfg, so I run the TCH aroun 35-36 psi. I doubt switching to nitrogen will make much difference. What I do miss is my TL, the TPMS in that gave direct acurate PSI readings per tire, so I woudl check it every am by hitting the button before I left the garage. The best thing to do with the TCH is set the pressure you want then re-initialize the TPMS in the TCH so it knows the new baseline. My car had 27 lbs from the dealer, I would have hoped an accurate TPMS would trigger at that point 5PSI under. Toyota does not mention what the difference needs to be to trigger the tPMS in the TCH.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Living in Phoenix, the main benefit for Nitrogen in my tires would be the resistance to heat expansion. I run about 46 PSI all around, and the heat does expand my PSI.

I'm considering the switch....
  • What is the optimal PSI for gas milage that would still be considered safe for normal operation (i.e., not cause above average wear on tires or be unsafe for stopping).

I've seen posts as high as 46PSI but that seems dangerously high to me.

On my first tank and with AC maxed out due to the heat wave in the northeast, I'm only at about 32mpg. I only recently leared that ECO for AC doesn't work when temp is on high; and the MPG is creaping up slowly as the tank drains and I learn some tricks. Not even sure what my tires are set at now but assume that they are manufacturer specs that dealer set them at.
  • r_nashr_nash Posts: 33
    I'm running 42psi front, 40psi rear. The Bridgestone tires are rated to 50psi on my TCH. So far (only 2,500 miles) the tread wear is even, and the handling noticably better than the 32psi the car was delivered with.

You can reset the TPMS pressure (page 179 of the owners manual) to the new pressure. According to the NHTSA, TPMS will warn a driver if any tire pressure drops 25%.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Posts: 102
    I can't tell you how many times my car came from a repair shop (tire merchant or DEALER) where the tires were all over the place--none set the same and usually all MUCH higher than I would expect. It's like they "eyeball" the tire pressure!

With my TCH, I also assumed they would all be set to 32 PSI. When I checked, they were all at 39! So, you should definitely check for yourself. Just be sure they are "cold".
  • bnewinsbnewins Posts: 25
    My TCH arrived from the dealer with the tires @ 35 lbs. A day or two later somewhere in the back of the owners manual it mentions "for sustained high speed driving set pressure to 35 lbs". So I just left them that way in case I ever need to do any high speed driving. :P
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Trip and mileage computers can be good, but remember the difference between the average MPG and instantaneous MPG readouts. Any car which has a trip computer, even a thirsty V8, can show 50MPG at any given "instantaneous" time, especially when the throttle is closed an you're coasting.

The true test is the old fashioned way of filling up the tank and calculating the mileage from distance traveled vs. the gas used. Then, compare that to the average readout of the trip computer.
  • At 6800 miles I had my second oil change. I don't know whether the dealer used synthetic at the first change, but I do know I got 41 mpg on a 1400 mile trip, cruise control at 60-65.

For this second change, the Valvoline store used non-synthetic. That night I drove 440 miles, driving pretty similarly, and mileage wouldn't go above 36.5.

Does synthetic oil make a difference in anything other than the life of the oil?
  • Sorry, my post above was a bit ambiguous.

On this forum I see lots of comparison tests people have run with different conditions. Excellent. Has anybody ever tested the mileage impact of different oils?

Before my first oil change I took a 1400 mile trip with cruise control @ 60-65. I got 41mpg.

I then had a dealer oil change at 1800. The return trip (1400 mi) then got similar mileage.

Last week at 6800 miles a non-dealer put in non-synthetic, and on a 400 mile trip I got ~36, driving with similar style. Mileage has stayed there for the return and around town since then.

Do different oils affect mileage? Synthetic vs not, 0 weight vs 5-weight?
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Posts: 32
    Took our first 500 mile trip between KC and St Louis. Rolling interstate with speed set between 65 and 70. Got 41.5 via the speedo and 40.95 via calculation. First car I've ever owned that beat the EPA highway estimates. Felt great. Have all of 750 miles on the odometer. :)
    Some say oil has a significant impact. I don't believe with the wide range of FE you can get under various conditions with the TCH that the average person can indeed measure the results. There is just too many variables in the driving to test and get consistant results.

I don't believe you'll see significant results from the oil. If you want synthetic because of the protection, that's a choice, but at 3000 to 5000 mile oil changes I think buying synthetic is overkill, again though it's an option.

IF your previous servicer used Synthetic without telling you I would think you would have noticed it as the price differential is substantial
  • grggrg Posts: 15
    I have been trying to find ways to get the battery engine to kick on insead of the gas, particularly when I am going flat or minimal decline. But when I asked the service people at Toyota, they said it is all computerized, that there isn't a way. However, I agree with wvgasguy that there are ways, as he described, use some gas to get up near the speed limit, then let foot off, the mpg needle goes to E, and then gently, ever so slightly, touch the gas to kick in the battery to keep going at that speed, as long as the battery has enough juice. I think, although am not sure, that the air conditioning uses some of the same "juice", or does it come from the other battery?
    anybody know any other tricks?
    thanks
    grg