Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    pontiff76pontiff76 Member Posts: 10
    what 's your msrp??
  • Options
    longfrancelongfrance Member Posts: 19
    2 MRSPs for you. for the 47,269, got offer down to 41.3k. Instead, got the 47,030 for 41k.

The 47030 didn't include wheel locks or the cargo net. Bought a cargo net at dealer cost afterwards - $28
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    To the best of my recollection, this is the best discount I have seen on this forum assuming a trade was not involved. Please share your approach with us after you receied the internet quotes..
  • Options
    Obtained 1st group of quotes - range was 42.5-43.5k

Responded to each offer with a thank you and a follow up which specified the following: intended purchase timeline (ready anytime); no need to test drive (driven multiple times); trade-in/or not (no trade in); and intended payment (15k down/ finance remainder)

After being more specific on my intent, I received phone calls from everyone. I asked if they would be willing to entertain offers from 41.5-42k. Most everyone over the phone said they would, however, the trick here is to follow up with emails and get them to send you over something in writing. Many emails back to the dealers began with a thank you and then a "just to confirm our telephone conversation..."

Most likely, if you reach out enough, you will get a few emailed offers at 42k. Now, here is the toughest part - you need to target a few dealers for major follow up emails to get one or more of them down to the 41.5k price. I began with the argument that all the kbb, carsdirect, cars.com, etc. etc. showed 41k if I went with them. The uniform response was that they are not showing you 100% of all the required adds. My response was, please email over to me a scanned copy of the costs for the car I am looking for. THIS IS A CRITICAL PART!!

If you can obtain a copy of the Vehicle Inquiry Report, double check all the math because most likely, dealer holdback is not listed. THIS IS YOUR BARGAINING POINT!! Use the fact that there are "hidden" costs as your argument to get them down to the 41.5k price point. You must get one of the dealers to email you an offer at that price (or lower) in order to visit any dealership in person.

Once you have a 41.5k (in my case 41.3k) email in hand, then you are ready to go into competing dealerships. Be honest and up front - I thanked the dealer for responding quickly to all my emails and let them know I've been in contact with many other dealerships. Let them know you would like them to ask the manager for the 41k price if they have the right color/ option combo. I was turned away by two dealerships saying they can not match that price. Don't be alarmed, someone will be willing to work with you.

From there, you need to be a little bit hesitant on color/ option package. Let them know that you're not 100% set on that color/ option combination, but if he is willing to take the 41k price offer to the manager, then you'll be fine with the color.

Eventually, they will ask for that proof of price - SHOW IT PROUDLY!! When they come back with an offer of only $100 lower, counter offer saying that in repect to the other dealerships, you can't justify just $100 off. Re-iterate the positives of their dealership (close to home, heard good things about service, etc.) and re-iterate the fact that you will buy today but only with an offer significantly lower than the other guy.

Lastly, if your credit is outstanding don't forget to use a local credit union's posted rate as a bargaining chip to getting a lower rate directly from them. We got 3.89% which is lower than our credit union rate. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! IT'S A GREAT VEHICLE AND I KNOW YOU CAN GET A GREAT PRICE!!! :)
  • Options
    billx2billx2 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to buy a 2010 RX350 AWD with Nav in Chicago market, has anyone purchased one recently? Please share your experience

Thanks
  • Options
    divsdivs Member Posts: 13
    We have been shopping around in Chicago area for almost 2 weeks now, went personally to Peoria, Schamburg, Naperville and Chicago Lexus dealers. We got 2010 RX 350 AWD with Rear DVD + NAv + Comf Pckg + Prem Pckg+ Intitutive Parking+ Tow Prep + 19" Alloy+ Remote Start + Wheel Locks, Cargo Mat + few more things i cant recall now....

MSRP $51400
    Paid OTD $ 50500 (with taxes (7.25%+ other fees)
  • Options
    What was the price before taxes, fees, etc?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Has anyone purchased the autobahn protective package for the front of the RX and, if so, what was the cost?
  • Options
    $46750, invoice was $45930
  • Options
    with just Nav and not DVD rear entnt , i believe you can get in $41-42K range in chicago area MSRP is normally $47-48K
  • Options
    jungsupjungsup Member Posts: 4
    That sounds like very good deal. I am also in the process of buying one in riverside area.
    What was the out the door price by the way?
  • Options
    Was it AWD or FWD?
  • Options
    bmandelbmandel Member Posts: 2
    All: This forum has been good to me so I am passing along my buying experience...

I shopped around multiple dealers in the OC, and found that Newport, Westminster, and Cerritios internet depts were all willing to sell at invoice with a little pushing. This translates to a $4,000 discount on a basic model (prem package/heated seats), and roughly $5,000 discount for a loaded vehicle (Prem/Comfort/Nav/etc).

I took the deal from Newport for a loaded RX 350 (Luxury/Comfort/Nav/Levinson/etc) with an MSRP of $49,800 for invoice (a little over $5K discount)

You may be able to squeeze a couple hundred more by doing hours and hours of more research pitting dealers against each other, but at some point your time has to be worth more than the extra effort. Invoice price for this car is great deal, and a totally loaded vehicle comes out to less than $600/mo for a 15k/mi lease with $1,000 in TOTAL drive-offs (license and 1st month payment).....Good luck!
  • Options
    Respectfully, I would have to disagree slightly. With email and internet, pitting multiple dealers against one another for savings of over $1000 doesn't really take much time at all. In fact, it allows you to get the best price without traveling at all. You don't want to have that 'buyers remorse' the next day when you realized that the price offered was just a bit too easy for the dealership to accept.
  • Options
    msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    Longfrance---by my calculations you are buying the vehicle for under the dealer's actual cost. (less than invoice minus holdback). How is it possible???(and not an 'end of the month, must meet the quota to get the bonus' sale). Is there something else to the deal or am I missing some kind of incentive not listed on Edmunds?
  • Options
    My calcs showed dealer actual cost at 40,920 not 42,596. The 42,596 would include their holdback. So my 41k price is under the listed 'dealer cost' but not the real real dealer cost.
  • Options
    kl07rphkl07rph Member Posts: 22
    divs,

Able to make comment on which dealer for 41-42k range for just Nav in Chicago? Am in process of looking at RX350 or GLK350 for the Mrs.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Longfrance,

Was your car AWD or FWD?
    What was your out the door price?
    I am also looking for 2010 RX 350 AWD at Riverside area.
    Your information helps me alots.
  • Options
    msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    Longfrance---I read dealer holdback (2% of BASE MSRP) to mean 2% of $37,250 or $745. Is this not right? I am using the FWD MSRP but even using the AWD one you get $900something.

Perhaps a breakdown on what is on your vehicle will help.

Congrats on the great deal......and we appreciate you sharing this info!
  • Options
    ncalerncaler Member Posts: 14
    There are belief that Black Friday is a good day to buy cars. Maybe because it always falls near the end of the month. Happy "Car Hunting" Thanksgiving everybody!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Black-Friday-car-deals-best-cnnm-835851339.html?x=- 0&.v=4
  • Options
    Chicago dealer is the most aggressive dealer i found they have good turnover so can sell at invoice + 1000 sometimes at invoice also...Also Naperville dealer is competitive enough and both offered more or less same price, deduct straight 5K from MSRP and offer them and stick to numbers you quote them they will come down....hope this helps
  • Options
    Thanks divs, will definitely give your advice a try!
  • Options
    I just got a quote on 2010 RX350 awd with prem/nav/com/19 inch wheel/intuitive parking/tow package/12 premium speaker/accesary package/wood and leather trim on steer wheel and shift knob.
    MSRP $48669 Invoice per Edmunds was a little over 43K.
    Price $42600 + DMV registration.. $671.45 + Sales tax reiverside 8.75% $3732.31
    Total Out the door $47000.
    what do you guys think?
    I am going to visit them soon.
    I will lek you know aobut the outcome.
  • Options
    smile4smile4 Member Posts: 4
    please let me know what you end up buying/paying in Chicago.
    We just went for a test drive at McGrath and now I am trying to price it

Thank you
  • Options
    cutco760cutco760 Member Posts: 63
    Was this deal performed by J. Flores or J. Cohan? I am really sad to see that they made you pay $1,700 more than the deal they offered me for the same vehicle this past 11/14/09. I had an 06' vehicle (American made SUV with 36K miles) with an accident on it and they offered $10.8K for it (so I walked). Went to Tri County got an offer for $42.2K on the same vehicle and $39500 (w\ $200 back for Etching) for no nav package. They offered me $12.6K for my trade with the carfax accident. J. Flores was a good guy, but when I told Cohan he laughed and said he would not have offered $11K and said that Ray Catena had beat both Tri County prices since they were bigger. I feel sorry for J. Flores in Freehold a great guy, his manager a deal breaker. In the end with the trade, I paid $29.4K over $30.7K (plus I got a chance to see the little guy win one). I wished they had not taken you like that, your last car was a better quality than mine and regardless should have yield at least or no more than a $500-1000 of the TVC on edmunds. I hope you don't service with those thieves. Regards,
  • Options
    billx2billx2 Member Posts: 4
    divs,

Thanks. Would you mind sending the sales manager/dealer information to me at liu2k@yahoo.com?
  • Options
    meghan708meghan708 Member Posts: 1
    I just found out today that my 2007 RX 350 oil line exploded. Apparently it is happening all the time and Lexus of Memphis said they have never heard of it and it is not under warranty. The mechanic fixing my car said he has done a ton of these repairs and Lexus of Memphis even had over 200 of those parts in stock (even though they said they have never heard of this)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,373
    Geez... how many miles on an '07, that it's out of warranty?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jordan01jordan01 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if all Lexus dealerships offer free p/u of your car, oil change and loaner car for the first two years of ownership?

So far my first round of emails to several dealerships have quoted $44, 660 on a 2010 RX 350 w/ MSRP of $47,269. Responded to all and awaiting on a bottom line price.

Has anyone else purchased from a dealership in TX?
  • Options
    Dealer holdback off of MSRP not base MSRP. Also, use 2.5% not 2%. Had breakdown and strategy in previous posts... last time...

on 47269 MSRP model, lowest email offer was 41350.

Elected to go with 47037 MSRP model (no wheel locks/cargo net) for 41k in person. I used the 41350 offer as a start point to get the 47037 down to 41.
  • Options
    Did you receive the quotes from the dealerships in Houston, Texas?
  • Options
    cruzingvtcruzingvt Member Posts: 1
    I haven't started any negotiations yet other the original contact through the Costco Auto Program. This is my situation. I live in Vermont and Vermont doesn't have a Lexus dealer in the whole state. I was contacted by a dealer out of Springfield, Massachusetts when I entered my info for the car I wanted in the Costco Auto buying program, never expecting to hear from anyone. Any way this dealer in Massachusetts sent me a quote through the program. The dealer says they have a lexus with the MSRP of $47,393 and through the Costco program are quoting me $43,672 plus, tax, lic and fees. Appears car has standard features plus Lexus Premium Audio System, Automatic Sount, Levelizer (ASL( and in-dash single feed 6-dis CD; bluetooth technolocy, SM satelite Radio(don't really care if I have this or not); Comfort Pkg: Bi-Xeonon handlamps, adaptive front lighting sys, intelligent high beam, rain-sensing wipers, heated & ventilated drive/Pass front seats; 12=speaker premium audio system; navigation system; Premium Package includes: leather tim interior, moonroof, power heated outside mirros, power rear door, MP2 mini plug w/usb audio plug; Tow prep pacek (ball mount not included; Remote Engine Start; Wood & LEather trimmed steering wheel & shfit knob.

First, does anyone know if this is a good starting price for this area and if not what should I be negotiating for?

Second, they have also told me that anything greater than an oil change, they would come pick the car up for me and leave me a loaner and then bring my car back! This is what I can't believe!! I confirmed with them that is is 150 miles one way to my house from dealership and they confirmed they knew that and would still do it. Told just do my oil changes locally and keep all receipts. I was/am concerned about warranty service. How will this effect my warranty.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with buying a car from another state? I have never done this and not sure which State do you pay the taxes in, things of that nature.

Sorry my first post is so long. I have been reading here for awhile and you all seem to know what you are talking about.
    Thanks for any advice given.
  • Options
    Based on other posts, the price is pretty good, but not spectacular. Then again dealers need a certain amount of money to stay in business. On the other hand, knowing they will drive 300 miles round-trip to provide service for your vehicle is certainly worth something, to say the least.
  • Options
    ncalerncaler Member Posts: 14
    I got a quote for an AWD w/ PM, EC, HS, TO, and a couple minor things. He said the MSRP is $43715 and he can sell it at Invoice $39847. Do you guys/gals consider Invoice a good price? Thanks
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Got the first scheduled maintenance free on my 2007 RX350, after that COD. My dealer does provide a free loaner upon request together with a quick and dirty car wash when serviced, no calendar or mileage limitations apply. I found that unless you have warranty issues it is much less expensive to have routine maintenance done at a Toyota dealership. Same parts and level of competence, no gourmet breakfast, free loaner or cash wash; but about half the price.

Pete :)
  • Options
    mck28mck28 Member Posts: 3
    I've only gotten $1-2K off MSRP from dealerships in Houston. jordan01, can you let me know if you get better than your $44,660? I think it might make sense to get over $5K off from a dealer out of state and ship it to TX.

Has anyone had success buying an RX from an out of state Lexus dealer? People on this forum has spoken about it, but I haven't seen anyone list a dealership that they did it with. Thanks!
  • Options
    wstreetwstreet Member Posts: 6
    mck28 -

I've been working via the net with a Lexus dealership in Riverside, CA, on a RX450h and so far they have the best out-the-door pricing (and let me tell ya, it's a LOT harder to find deals on the RX450h than on the RX350!).

Turns out that Lexus of Riverside also specializes in out-of-state sales and shipments - and, since they are in the top tier of So.Cal dealers that discount, that's a hard-to-beat combo for your Houston situation. I've leased a RX300 and then a RX330 from their Internet Dept and probably will pull the trigger again on a 450h before this year is gonzo.

So I suggest you contact them for a quote and see how the delivered price compares to your local deals - Good luck and let us know!
  • Options
    Post your email address I will send you the dealership name and the name of the sales person.
  • Options
    Not sure if I will purchase in Chicago now; have you thought of purchasing out of state and shipping it? I keep seeing these great deals from the west coast, so was thinking of trying that out. I came from the LA area, so was thinking of trying out Longo (El Monte, Ca), Newport Lexus, or Riverside (saw an earlier post saying Riverside specializes in out-of-state sales).
  • Options
    tenzotenzo Member Posts: 24
    Chicago land. Looking for 2010 350 AWD w/navi. MSRP $47200. This is my second RX first was 330 and trade in for FX35, but buying RX again. First one I bought from Arlington Lexus on Dundee. Their deal was OK. I did $5K off for 06. I have changed my car pretty much every 2 yr. or 30K miles. Please let me know the best deal. Looks like you guys are getting for some where 41K-42K. I think that’s a good deal. If anyone has bought around 41K, please let me know the dealer and sales person. tenzo7700@yahoo.com Thanks.
  • Options
    tenzotenzo Member Posts: 24
    Can I have the dealer and sales person info please
    tenzo7700@yahoo.com
    Thanks.
  • Options
    racerspassracerspass Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2010 RX 350H AWD, from lexus of towson. Great service, and professionalism. Simple buying process no hidden agenda dealt directly with the interet sales team. Included the options of NAV, Comfort, Premium, Towing Prep, Leather steering and knob, 12 speakers, Cargo Net, mats, wheel locks. Looks like its a standard vehicle they have in stock. Price paid $42K+Taxes, Registration. Best deal I found in the DC metro area, probably could have got it lower but didn't bother with the hassle.
  • Options
    Whats was MSRP?
  • Options
    solstice4solstice4 Member Posts: 11
    Paid $400 for Autobahn in MA. This is negotiable...Wasn't going to get it this time around, but feel it's worth it when it comes time to trade. When I negotiated my trade, I told them what I paid for it on my 05 and wanted them to add it--they did....
  • Options
    Paid $42K (plus tax and doc. fees)for: Nav, Prem, Comfort, tow pkg, wheel locks, remote start, cargo net and all weather mats. bought at end of month, which I believe was a factor.
  • Options
    mck28mck28 Member Posts: 3
    pontiff76,

Thanks so much. please tell me your best quote and name and salesperson to my username @ yahoo.com. Thanks.

Are you purchasing at the end of this month also or considering shipping from CA?
  • Options
    What was the MSRP and what dealer did you purchase from?

Thank you.
  • Options
    MSRP was $47.7. Purchased at Lexus of Watertown. I did get Lexus of Norwood to $42K as well, but LofW gave me $1500 more for my trade. LofW is very aggressive when they think Norwood might get the business.
    I was reluctant to purchase from Watertown because they have had a bad reputation in the past, but that has definitely changed with new management that has been in place for about 18 months. They've turned the place around and I was very happy with them this time around.
  • Options
    Thank you. I have purchased from Watertown as well as another dealer. It seems sometimes one is more aggressive than the other or will allow more for a trade than the other.

You discount of over $5k is excellent and is about the best I have seen on this forum.Watertown service is very good.

I hope they will match this discount for me and be competitive with my trade as well!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    jordan01jordan01 Member Posts: 2
    I got it for $43,000 from Sterling. Was dealing w/ Westside and they lost my business over $250. So I called up my internet sales woman (originally emailed all dealerships in Houston) and asked her if she could meet my asking price of $43000 and she said "yes". Went by the dealership 3 hours later to sign paperwork and the deal was done.

Includes NAV, Comfort, premium pckg, wheel lock, leather wrap steering, tinting, pa, etc 2wd

It seemed difficult to get the $42,000 unless I was willing to haggle more. Northside lexus called me while I was picking up my car and said that was a great deal; that they wouldn't be able to meet it.