Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 and Bluetooth

Comments

• pete_l_ppete_l_p Posts: 322
    Funny. Most people would not consider these cars as competitors, but they were my two final two choices as well (I was thinking about the CLS600.)

I wanted the most satisfying car I could find and was willing to go to about $120K. My criteria included performance & handling, tech & convenience, style, reliability and prestige.

Both cars have excellent performance and handling IMO.

The CLS was a clear winner on style and prestige, although I do think the M looks great and turns a lot of heads.

The M wins huge on tech/convenience and reliability.

The M's Nav (IMO the best in any car, with voice recognition for speaking address destinations, perspective view, far greater map detail and a ton of convenient features) absolutely blows away the CLS Nav. The M's backup monitor, with markings that predict the cars path as a function of steering wheel position, and which works great even in the darkest road conditions, is a gift that keeps on giving (backup monitor not available on the CLS). The M has much more seating room, great surround sound, excellent intelligent cruise, and a very long list of advantages. The CLS has steering wheel controls that won't even take you through your radio presets. (A big problem for me right there.)

The biggest issue for me was reliability. My wife got a 2003 CLK and has been in the shop non-stop, same with a friend and his mercedes. I got a 2003 Q45, and have had incredible reliability, same with my '06 M45.

My question to myself was, how dumb would I feel to spend so much more and get a car with far less every day satisfaction, AND have it breaking down all the time. For me it was a choice between a car that everyone would be envious of, or one that would really make me happy.

I went for happy. The M has been a constant and enormous pleasure. No regrets.

Pete
  • Pete,
    Great reply. It's funny because as soon as i posted that question i knew it was kind of a dumb question. Price wize those cars aren't even close. I was just figuring they were the two cars i was most intersted in. and you're right, it's the cache' thing... Infiniti hasn't gotten there yet and i think the M45 is kind of bland by comparison.
    But I drove the CLS today and was kind of let down (had just driven the M45 again). So doesn't seem to make much sense to go that way just for the name. I drove the E500 and that was closer, but still pretty steep for what you get. I also drove the A6 and the 545i and the GS430 (busy day) and i was back where i started. M45, non-sport i think (still thinking about that one).

another question tho.... does anyone have or have you seen the M45 - Black w/ chrome wheels? Local dlr only has M45 sport on site and the non-sport is coming in w/ the chrome wheels but i can't seem to find a photo of it.

Anyone who's seen it or has a pic...i'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks again Pete for your 2cents. i think you hit the nail on the head...

Jim
  • rrobrrob Posts: 51
    Your 'dumb idea' my have many more adherents than you think. The Mercedes that was on my list, and that I drove was the CLS 500. I picked the M. I was worried about the quality with the Benz; the M was more fun to drive; the CLS is a beautiful car, but was really more of a standout than what I wanted; and, the back seat of the M was much more comfortable - I often have rear seat passengers. So, the M it was. Mine has the regular wheels, I saw one with chrome at the dealer, but didn't like them as much.
  • mexibecmexibec Posts: 114
    > Anyone who's seen it or has a pic...i'd appreciate any feedback.

I got an M45 Twilight (dark) Blue with chrome wheels. It's of course a matter of personal preferences, but I absolutely love the wheels.

It's funny to see that many people looked at the CLS as well as the M. So did I. I really like the CLS design, but MB quality turned me down. Same for the BMW 545i and Audi A6. The M sure doesn't carry the same prestige, but it (M45) beats them all when you floor it anyway :D and the electronics (which all work!) are just unbeatable. I bought my M45 6 months ago and I still have a grin every time I drive it.
  • jimlipjimlip Posts: 4
    mexibec,
    Any pics of your ride with those wheels? I think i'll like the chrome, but i havne't even had the chance to see the wheels at all and what they look like.

I'm with you on the rest. I tried to like some of the others, but couldn't get excited about any of them for various reasons.

It's funny that the thing only "drawback" with the M is the fact that saying you're buying an infiniti isn't the same as some of the others. I guess maybe that will change sometime down the road.
  • I recently purchased an M45 and really like the car except for the quality of the bluetooth microphone. The sound quality of the person on the other end of the phone comes across very clearly but they tell me the sound quality from the car is horrible. Anyone make any changes to the configuration that have improved things?

I have a Cingular Razor for my phone.

I noticed a post about 2007 improvements. I sincerely hope that this is one of them and they make it usable for the 2006 models.
  • I have a M35 I'm using a Sony Ericsson T68I several people have indicated that the sound is great including Overseas calls. I have not experienced any bad sound quality I'm using Cingular in South Florida.
  • There is a diagnostic menu that you can get at that has fixed this problem for my Treo 650. It is described in some of the other forums. Specifically, you can follow these instructions (do at your own risk):
    - Start Engine [required if you want to see all available diagnostic options]
    - Turn OFF the Audio system
    - While pushing the SETTING button, rotate the radio's VOLUME control either clockwise or counter-clockwise 30+ clicks.
    - You will then be put into the diagnostic mode.
    - Use the BACK button to get to previous screens, or to quit the Diagnostic Mode.

NOTE:
    Holding down the SETTING button and rotating the volume knob a 2nd time
    will put the diagnostic mode into a more "detailed" state offering more options.

------

Diagnostic Mode - CELL PHONE VOLUME

One potential use of the diagnostic mode is to improve the sound quality of your cell phone.

- The diagnostic mode has an option "Handsfree Volume Adjustment".
    - The default setting for this option is "MED".
    - Setting the volume to "LOW" [or possibly HIGH] may improve the sound quality of your bluetooth compatible cell phone.

I (and many others) have found that "low" works great for my Treo. Hopefully it'll work for your phone as well.
  • dl8dl8 Posts: 25
    these 2 cars were my last choices, before I decided M45 sport.
    The CLS was a clear winner on style and prestige,
    The M wins huge on reliability.
    I had a MB600S, was in the shop all the time.

don't make the mistake...

D
  • rpiercefrpiercef Posts: 2
    I absolutely love my 1 month old M35, but I recently noticed that when using my cell phone in the car, while attached to the Bluetooth, callers on the other end hear themselves echoed. I know this must be a problem with the car because I recently switched from Cingular to Verizon and the problem is the same.

I have a Razr phone now and had a different Motorola phone before that.

When I contacted Infiniti Customer Care and Bluetooth (through Infiniti) they both said it's a known issue.

My question is, does anyone have a work-around for this issue? For instance, when this happens, is it best to hang up and call back or is it best to hang on the call until it goes away?
    I absolutely love my 1 month old M35, but I recently noticed that when using my cell phone in the car, while attached to the Bluetooth, callers on the other end hear themselves echoed. I know this must be a problem with the car because I recently switched from Cingular to Verizon and the problem is the same.

I agree it sounds like a problem with your car, but here's the thing:

I don't have that problem, at all, with my verizon phone, and I've heard from many other M owners who don't have the problem either. Occasionally people have reported clarity problems (NOT echo problems), but most people, like myself find the quality to be very good.

One good thing to try with verizon, is to turn OFF voice privacy (if you can) from within your phone's setup options. (Look for that option on the handset itself, and choose "standard" voice privacy, rather than "enhanced"). Turning off voice privacy has improved general quality on verizon phones for me and several others. But again, that has not been a problem relating specifically to echo.

So it seems to me as though your car's bluetooth is not working up to the typical M standard.

It could be very difficult to convince the dealer that that's the case.

My suggestion is to see if there are one or two showroom M's with bluetooth, and try to compare the quality between those and your car (testing your own cell phone with each car). Perhaps you can get the service rep to use YOUR phone in each of the cars (including your own), while you listen in from the dealer's land line phone. Then reverse the process, to let HIM hear the difference. That way you can both be pretty sure if the problem is specific to your car, rather than ALL M's.

I hope you get it worked out.

Pete
  • ewl88ewl88 njPosts: 76
    Not sure it's a carrier issue solely.
    Probably a phone/carrier issue. My brother and I both have M35x. I have verizon/motorola E80 and he has a Treo 700W/verizon and he has that irritating echo effect (he hears fine but other party hears an irritating echo). I don't have any problems with the echo. He uses his cell phone alot more than I do so it's more of a problem for him.
    Not sure it's a carrier issue solely.

I think you're replying to the wrong post.

I didn't say anything about it being a carrier issue, (other than pointing out that if he has verizon, he should try to turn off voice privacy)

I have verizon also (and a samsung i730 with windows mobile 2003) and have no echo problems in my M.

Pete
  • ewl88ewl88 njPosts: 76
    Yeah, I misread the message. I was replying to the original poster. But I told my brother about your suggestion to disable the voice privacy mode since he had the echo problem with his treo 700 and it's much better now. Thanks for the suggestion. What exactly does this voice privacy mode do? Never heard of it. And I can guarantee, no one in an Infiniti dealer would know that.
    I told my brother about your suggestion to disable the voice privacy mode since he had the echo problem with his treo 700 and it's much better now. Thanks for the suggestion. What exactly does this voice privacy mode do? Never heard of it.

ew:

Glad that worked for him.

Voice privacy is an option that uses digital encryption to make it more difficult for others to listen in on your calls. I've only seen it offered by verizon and it seems to be the default setting on many of their phones. With its current implementation, many phones have improved clarity when turning it off. This effects clarity of calls over bluetooth and calls taken on the handset itself, but for me it's more noticeable with bluetooth.

Pete
  • cmf1cmf1 Posts: 4
    just got the M35x. everything seems fine except the bluetooth. I'm also having trouble with an echo on the receiving end of the call. using the motorola 815, which according to verizon, does not have a privacy mode. the weird thing is that occasionally I make a call that seems to be fine, but 9 out of 10 calls there is an echo and the clarity is variable. I've read most of the posts here, seems strange that some people have no problems at all and others are experiencing the same type of problem, any suggestions.
    I'm also having trouble with an echo on the receiving end of the call. using the motorola 815, which according to verizon, does not have a privacy mode.

I just did a search on the forums at phonescoop.com

According to people there, the e815 has a voice privacy setting, which can be turned off (ie, it can be set to standard rather than enhanced), in the 815's call settings options. If you can do that, your problem will likely be handled.

Pete
  • nycdudenycdude Posts: 33
    I have an e815 w/ Verizon svc. There is no voice privacy setting on this phone (I can't find it, in any event, and the phone's documentation doesn't mention it). The bluetooth connectivity is completely adequate, with normal variations in call quality. I can generally hear people quite well, and there have been only a few complaints from my call partners, most of which I believe are attributable to normal speakerphone effect. I don't know if any of this is helpful, but it's one person's experience. :)
    I have the 815 with verizon svc. I spoke with verizon and motorola and there is no voice privacy setting on this phone. I'm on my second 815 (exchanged it on Sat.) and still have an echo on the receiving side(I've heard it myself)Could it be some setting on the bluetooth in the car. It just doesn't make sense that some people have the problem and others don't. Any thoughts?
    One other easy thing to try, suggested by the motorola manual (which I just found at amazon), is to choose a wide variety of different volumes (setting them explicitly ON the handset), while talking on your phone via bluetooth and the M. For any setting on the handset, you can adjust the M's volume independently if needed (also done while talking).

You'll probably find a particular handset volume that works best. This might account for the difference some users have seen.

The other thing you can do, which is more complicated, is a totally separate adjustment of the M's phone volume made through the M's diagnostic mode. That mode is not in the manual, and I don't remember right now how to get to it. You might find it here or elsewhere if you do some extensive searching for diagnostic. That phone volume setting in the diagnostic menu is supposed to help in your current situation, as well.

Pete
    after four phones(three 815 and one razor), the echo problem persisted with the bluetooth, despite trying all the solutions posted here and on phonescope. people at the dealership had no suggestions either. today I adjusted the incoming phone volume, which you can adjust with the volume control of the radio, while using the bluetooth.(you can also adjust this function in the settings menu) I was able to make the echo appear by raising the volume a little past midway( a graphic appears on the nav screen when you make this adjustment). as soon as I lowered the volume one or two bars,the echo went away. I was able to duplicate this multiple times. This appears to be the solution, at least for me.
    Good to hear you got it worked out.

Pete
  • baltomanbaltoman Posts: 43
    Re "bluetooth problems"

Next time try OnStar
    It works out of the box !
    Hands free !
  • carnaughtcarnaught 'zonaPosts: 2,377
    Re "bluetooth problems"

Next time try OnStar
    It works out of the box !
    Hands free !

Bluetooth:OnStar = Apples:Oranges
  • captnorm35captnorm35 Posts: 16
    For the past year, we have been very happy with Cingular's RAZR, everything works perfect w/M35.

A few weeks ago I got a Sprint Treo 650 for myself. Also works perfect with the M35.

The only issue I see is that only 1 phone may be active with the M35, even though both had been paired. I can see 1 phone being active for initiating calls, but am disappointed only that 1 active phone would be answered by the car system. Has anyone been able to get a 2nd phone to answer?

~~~~_/)~~~~

Norm
    I have an M35x, and find the Bluetooth voice-activated dialing a real boon. I am sometimes concerned about the almost inevitable tendency to shout into a speakerphone, and there have been numerous comments on this thread about echo problems. Yesterday (Mother's Day) I needed to call a somewhat hard-of-hearing relative, and found that by using the Bluetooth dialing feature, but speaking through a wired headset (phone is Motorola E815), I did not have to "yell" into the microphone, and could hear better as well. It seems to me that this "hybrid" solution offers some advantages without any significant drawback. :)
  • indemandindemand Posts: 14
    I absolutely agree. Having conversations consisting of "what" and the periodic phonebook memory loss is completely frustrating. The headsets work well. Maybe a combination system which includes a headset will be in the future, I hope.
    Indemand,

I haven't experienced the phonebook memory loss. Took delivery in 10/05. Perhaps it is not a widespread problem. My only problem with voice commands is that it is virtually impossible to successfully speak a 10 digit number. Phonebook voice tags work pretty well, though.

The dude. :)
    My only problem with voice commands is that it is virtually impossible to successfully speak a 10 digit number.

Have you tried always saying "zero", rather than "oh"? Words like "oh" are very challenging for a voice command system, since there's no hard sound for it to latch onto, and the "oh" can be perceived as being part of what comes before or after. Zero has been very good to me.

After a year, I've had no phonebook memory loss either, and have only heard of one other case of that. And I spend a LOT of time on these forums. If it's recurring, BTW, the dealer should deal with it IMO.

Pete
  • jshattnerjshattner Posts: 32
    "My only problem with voice commands is that it is virtually impossible to successfully speak a 10 digit number."

The voice command "Phone Enter" lets you provide the number in chunks. Works great for me (although it takes a bit longer 'cause of the 'way overzealous use of prompts in the M's voice system).