Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Chrysler Pacifica Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    You need to have your dealer install Technical Service Bulletin TSB 1803905 dated December 5, 2005. Please see my post #4 in this forum for more detail. Good luck!
  • ptormrptormr Posts: 1
    My Pac has 20,000 miles on it and the ABS light came on. I am taking it to the dealer to have it fixed, but what I wanted to know is besides the stalling, which I have experinced a number of times, what are common problems that I should expect from this model. My wife does not like American cars and still tell me I should have gotten a Toyota.
  • I am having the same problem on my 04 pac. This weekend is the first time it occured and I have not been able to get it started. We jumped it with a hot battery just in case with no success. I'm reluctant to send it to the shop without some idea as to the problem. I'm not anxious to spend $500.00 to fix a $50.00 problem. What have you learned?

Thanks,

dclarkesr
  • Hi, we own a 06 tourning PAC with 6500 miles on it now , we too encountered both of the problems you have described above . First off we had the slow left stalling problem happen with our PAC 3 or 4 times in our first 2000 miles we brought it in for service and they performed the TSP1803905 FLASH PROGRAM UPDATE and almost 5000 miles latter we have had no problems. Second we to had our ABS light on took it in thety replaced 2 of the sensors no problems since, the sensors can go bad driving through deep puddles hitting a steep ditch etc.. Those were only 2 problems we realy have had and both have been corrected and to date we our loving our PAC also we our getting better gas millage since we hit 5000 miles goood luck, and keep us all up to date on your progress in having you problems fixed
  • I retrieved my 2004 Pacifica from the mechanic about 2-3 weeks ago and have not experienced the problem again (YET). Note that the mechanic nor the Dealer have fixed anything. I am, however out of hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees, auto rentals, and a lot of lost time. Chrysler won't do anything and the independent mechanic and the Dealer's mechanic agree that they can't (won't) do anything unless the problem can be reproduced. Further, we were presented with the option of paying for an Idle Air Control Motor replacement (80% probability that this is the problem) and/or the fuel pumps at our cost (i.e., the warranty company won't pay unless there is a documented/diagnosed problem). How generous and special! We don't need a car that unreliable. That's why we just came from another dealer looking for a new car.
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    Just don't buy a Ford. They spit out spark plugs and Ford does not back you up either. Google 'blown spark plug' and see for yourself. I had one of those and it cost me $5000 before I learned that this is a design problem, not isolated case as I first thought and was told by a Ford dealer.

Chevrolet did not help me with Tahoe problems either. Fuel consumption went to 13 MPG when it first 1500 miles was 17 MPG. Dealer would not fix as there was no code in computer. Tail pipe was black as the vehicle would burn a gallon of oil for 1000 miles though. Had to fix it myself while it was under factory warranty.

That is why I bought a Pacifica for my wife as my '95 1500 Dodge Ram pick-up has been so trouble free. And it looks like next vehicle for myself will be a PAC also when it becomes time to get something new to replace the Tahoe.

So far no problems at all with PAC. The only thing I went for a service was to change the car's country code to Canada to make those daytime running lights to work. Cost $0. And of course for an oil change.

Do you have the AWD? It sounds like the stalling problem really is mostly related to the second fuel pump in PAC models (AWD) where the tank has two sides in it. For a dealer it should be easy to tell the warranty company that the fuel pump is a problem as they know it is.

Idle air valve could also be a problem but you should have issues with it stalling all over. Also starting should have problems with idle air valve problems.

Arrie
  • I have a 2004 PAC and have never been so disappointed with a vehicle. I have been experincing problems with vehicle not starting. Just recently I had to have it towed to the nearest dealership and once the mechanic took a look at it of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. They suggested that I have Idle Air Control Motor replaced. Can someone tell me if this will correct the problem?
  • I am experiencing the same exact issue. My car is at the dealership now. They can't reproduce the problem. I have also had the battery replaced on my 04 as well.
    It would be nice to know for sure what 'not starting' means. Some people use this term when the car's engine does not even turn over, some use it when it cranks but just won't start.

Let's assume you have the latter, i.e. the engine cranks when you turn the key but does not start running. In this case it is very possible that the idle air valve does not work correctly.

In a modern car, like PAC is, engine idle speed is controlled by a separate idle air valve. This is a small by-pass air intake valve which controls engine speed when you take your foot off of the gas pedal.

(Older cars used to have the throttle equipped with a small adjustment screw that had to be set for idle position, i.e. adjust the minimum throttle opening so that the engine runs correct idle speed).

Idle air valve opening is controlled by a small step motor, which in turn is controlled by the cars computer and yes, if the idle air valve motor goes bad it can intermittently cause starting problems.

You can test for this. Next time your car won't start try giving it a little bit gas, i.e. open the throttle by pressing on the gas pedal just a little to give engine air while you crank it. If the problem is with idle air valve you should be able to start your engine this way. It also means that when you take your foot off of the gas pedal the engine could stall again, like when you come to stop. You would need to keep the throttle open for the engine to get air.

I had this problem with my Ford Crown Victoria and it was first very intermittent but got worse over time. Replacing the idle air valve (with built-in motor)completely fixed the problem (part cost was only about $65).

Arrie
  • Attention all stalling Pacificas!! My dealer has been great about this. (Courtesy Chrysler Jeep in Rockville, Maryland) It took them three trys with the same results all of you have had, but they finally fixed it. For real, honest, it's been several months. Have your service people call Courtesy Jeep 301-424-1700 (Dennis Conklin, Service Manager) for details. I can't praise them enough for all of the effort they put into solving this!
  • well, I'm glad you-all are out there. My 05 Pacific has left me stranded several times now in the middle of nowhere. I will be showing clients property in remote San Diego county, and someone leaves the door open while they look at the land or house, we come back to a no-start situation. Mine will click-click click, like not enough juice. Just a short time on a charger and it starts right up. I have had the battery checked, and tightened all the terminals, still same result. I talked top the deALERSHIP TODAY, AND THE SERVICE REP IMMEDIATELY SEEMED THAT HE'S HEARD THE PROBLEM BEFORE AND STATED THAT IT WAS "JUST A DESIGN FLAW" The battery is too small for the car, but thats how they come... Please tell me (someone) that Chysler is NOT saying this.
    Well,

if the service rep really told you that the battery is too small and that is what is the problem you can go to that dealer and request them to let that service rep go.

If that really was the problem then your car would never start, right? How come it starts when you have the battery charged just a little bit if the battery was too small?

If the problem is not enough juice in the battery then the problem is that the alternator is not charging it enough. Obviously battery itself is not too small since the starting happens if it is charged enough.

You could have an alternator problem or voltage regulator problem, which usually now is built-in in the alternator itself.

Take your car to an Auto Zone or some other car part dealer. They will test your alternator for free and if they say anything at all about it that it may be questionable buy an alternator from them (they really deserve your business at that point), unless your car is still under warranty and the dealer should do it. In that case good people at car part store will understand if you take it back to the dealer as it is them who should pay for the repair. They also understand that there is a good chance that you come back next time when your car is not under warranty any more and you really buy a part from them.

Having your alternator tested at the dealer under warranty might not result a fix as if it is borderline they will say everything is ok. If you have a word from someone else saying there might be a problem with the alternator the dealer might even do the job right.

As bad as it sounds it really seems that warranty with U.S. auto makers don't mean anything any more unless something really breaks in your car that everybody can see. It seems they do everything they can to avoid repairs under warranty even when they know what the problem is and how to fix it. The thing they do not understand is that this way they drive their customers away never to return. Money is too tight to waste any more.

Arrie
  • Here's a quick tip. See if your Pacifica battery has caps that can be pried off with a screwdriver. If so, add demineralized water (what goes in your iron) up so it totally covers the plates. In hot weather, :cry: even "maintenance free" batteries loose water.
    :sick:
    thanks
    :shades:
    Vic
  • If you have any problems whatsoever about your Pacifica, you must file a complaint since this is the only way Chrysler can actually do something about any of our Pacifica problems such as stalling. Putting down engine and problems in your pacifica will help enable the government to start forcing Chrysler to acutally repair vehicles with issues.

It takes time but its worth it-

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • OK, I'll ask again, My 05 pacifica loses charge quickly on its battery. I'll leave the doors open (accidentally for 10 minutes), and when I go to start it, it will just click, click click.. a small jump allows me to start it again. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. My Chrysler rep (who you told me to fire) claims that many pacificas have the same problem.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,990
    Let me go back into some of the archived stuff and pull out some older posts to add to the discussison here.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• FYI, I just received a recall notice in the mail from Chrysler for my 2005 Pacifica - specifically for the stall issue.

According to the recall notice it involves a PCM reprogramming, and "possibly" replacement of the fuel pumps on some vehicles.

"FUEL PUMP MODULE AND/OR REPROGRAM PCM "
    http://www-5.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/F44.pdf
  • cdercder Posts: 3
    We also have a 04 PAC with about 45,000 miles. Two weeks ago, our car wouldn't start, the accessory functions turned on when my wife turned the key, but there was no ability to start the car. The engine didn't even start to turn over. We had it towed to the dealer, who replaced the starter at a cost of $450. Today my wife had another problem in starting the car - same issue. She removed the key and tired again - then it started. So we will wait and see if it happens again.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 202
    Do you still have your original battery?
  • I had a similar problem with not starting and it turned out to be the light in the glove compartment was on 24/7 because I had to much junk in their. Found this by accident on a night drive and noticed a small amount of light coming from around the edge of the compartment.
    This was on an 04 model. I recently traded on a new 07 limited and found out there is no light in the glove compartment. Maybe I wasn't the only one with this problem.
  • I HAVE AN 05 PACIFICA TOURING THAT I BOUGHT NEW.I HAD ONLY 2000 MILES ON IT WHEN I WAS ON THE EXPRESSWAY AND LOST ALL POWER.IT HAD TO BE TOWED TO A DEALERSHIP WHO FOUND OUT THAT A NUT FOR THE POWER DISTRIBUTION BLOCK WAS STRIPPED AND SHOOK LOOSE.I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS SINCE AND I HAVE 38000 MILES ON IT.
  • fidbosfidbos Posts: 1
    Please be careful, we also have an 05 Pac and had the fuel pump and PCM reprogrammed. On a recent trip to Boston Mass. from Florida the car shut down at 80 MPH on a 5 lane high speed road. Chrysler has no answer to this other than to install a Auto-Pilot (black box.
    The recall fix does not solve the problem
  • I began having problems with my Pacifica around 28k. The battery will just drain for no apparant reason, sometimes in just 1/2 hour while I am in an appointment. I can hear it clicking and the inside options and such will turn on, but the car won't turn over. Before I ever leave the car I verify the lights are all off and nothing is in either plug outlet (even my cell phone plugged into the key option seems to drain it even when the car is off). However, every time I take it in I pay $60 to hear the battery is fine and they cannot figure out what is causing the draw. I only ever have to connect the jumper cables and it starts...it does not seem to need to recharge, just to kick in.

I have a severely asthmatic baby and this is a life or death situation with her in the car. If the weather is too hot or too cold and I can't get the car to start I will have to call an ambulance...but I live in the middle of nowhere and that is why we bought a new car in the first place. The 20 minutes to 1/2 hour it takes to get an ambulance could be too long for her.

I am going to the dealer now that I see others have experienced the same thing and ask how to go about getting out of my lease and into a different Pacifica. I love my car...I am just scared of it at the moment. Has anything changed for some of the posts I read previously? Any new findings on how to fix this problem? It happens almost weekly, though with no apparant pattern and it never happens at the shop.
  • Alicia

1) For $60, they should be doing a "load" test of the battery to see if it has enough "reserve" to start after the power items are used (such as tailgate, etc.). See what the results were. :confuse:

2) Have them check for corrosion on the terminals or loose connections between the battery and the starting system. This could explain the inconsistent starting.
    ;)
    3) Have them put an ammeter across the connections to see if there is a short that is slowly draining the battery. ;)

3) For $75, go to Walmart and by a new one. I just did yesterday after I experienced a similar problem with a Japanese brand. Seems the slightest drain on the battery when the engine was off prevented it from kicking over.
    :shades:
    Thanks
  • joerauhjoerauh Posts: 4
    when I had my intermitten problem, the dealer could not find it for 2 weeks, finally he replaced the battery, told me about how some bateries may have lose plates inside, test well most of the time, but every so often the plates with short out and leave you high and dry.. he replaced the battery, and I have not had my starting problem since. JoeR
  • mcdon1mcdon1 Posts: 8
    Hi
    We are having the same problem. :cry: Pac doesn't start. Usually it will start like 15 minutes later. When you turn the key it is totally dead, no lights, no turn over of the engine, it acts like a totally dead battery. :sick: Then 15 minutes later it will start. Have you had a fix yet? We had a stalling problem and we think that is fixed. Would appreciate a reply. Thanks.
    Yes we have exactly the same problem. I'm writing you on 3/20/2007 and I noticed you posted this in Sept 2006. I sure hope you can let us know if you had any luck fixing this problem :sick: I think we have a :lemon:
    Our Pacifica 04 finally completely died. Didn't start at all. It had this habit of totally dying and coming back to life,(starting) after a 15 minute wait. Just got it out of the shop. The diagnosis was bad battery cables. We will see. I will keep you posted. I am a doubting Thomas after reading all these posts. :shades:
  • I appreciate all the feedback so far...it helps when you go to speak with the dealer.
  • pacman123pacman123 Posts: 1
    Interesting information. The dealer's answer to my starting problem was also to put in a new battery, but it still continued to happen. They then "figured it out" that the problem stemmed from a badly connected engine ground wire. Had my car for two days and tried to charge me $150 on top of the battery costs (and the batter was fine to begin with). I told the dealer that since they charged me for a battery I didn't need, we should call it even. They tried billing me for close to a year and finally stopped.

The car was fine for another year and it started happening again, but this time the ground wire was not the issue as it's connected fine. So, I'm back to square one. The one thing that does seem to help is putting the car in neutral and letting it roll a second and then it starts right up which makes me think there may be something wrong with the shifter wiring.

I love the car, but this is really annoying and the dealer has been no help as usual.