Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

guestguest Member Posts: 770
edited December 2013 in Honda
Talk about your CR-V AC problems here.

Comments

• vivianzvivianz Member Posts: 10
    My 2003 CR-V's AC went out yesterday morning, and when I got to the dealership, the quote this morning was $2700 for a new compressor, condensor and hoses. I read somewhere that Honda was "unofficially" extending the warranty on this as there had been problems. How would I find out if there are other complaints and if I can get some sort of compromise?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I read somewhere that Honda was "unofficially" extending the warranty on this as there had been problems. How would I find out if there are other complaints and if I can get some sort of compromise?

Simple, call Honda corporate and ask them. The number is on the back of the OWNER's MANUAL.
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Well I have good news. I received a call from Honda and after submitting the bill they informed me that they would reimburse me for the parts. That's about $825 of my $1,450 bill. My '02 has 78,000 miles on it.

My sugestion is to probably contact Honda prior to authorizing your Honda dealer to do any work. From other posts they might be willing to step up and help on the labor since they can get it done cheaper under their dealer reibursement schedule.

It was a matter of calling the 800 number on the Honda web site telling them the problem and that you are hoping for some type of financial assistance with the repair. They will ask you who you bought the car from, when, how many miles are on the car, if the dealer offered you an extended warranty at purchase, and what dealer has diagnosed the problem. You will get a call back from a person assigned to your case. They asked to fax them my repair bill. 2 days later I got the call with their settlement.

Good luck.

Jack
  • aeadsaeads Member Posts: 3
    We had our air conditioner compressor blow up about a year ago, now we are having the same sympoms again. HOnda replaced it the first time as a "courtesy". Whats up with the air conditioning systems?
  • jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    I posted a similar message back last year (see below from problems and solutions board) as our air conditioner died a couple of years ago on our 2003 with the compressor failure. It was under warranty then so it was no problem. It still works (over 60,000 miles now), but I still wonder for how long....

#3463 of 4572 Re: 2002 CRV Air conditioner failure [mm123] by jmolinsky Sep 13, 2005 (11:50 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: mm123 (Sep 13, 2005 8:25 am)
    I feel your pain. We have a 2003 EX and we had our compressor go bad somewhere around 25-30,000 miles, too, but it was covered under the normal warranty. Now I'm just waiting for the new one to go (we're at about 48,000 now) so we can experience the joy of trying to get it covered....

Good luck with Honda!!
    Replies to this message:
    • stevedebi (Sep 13, 2005 1:48 pm)
    • mm123 (Sep 15, 2005 8:48 pm)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It must be remembered that these forums attract people with problems like a magnet!

I checked with our Service Manager and he confirmed what I already thought. Very few of these cause problems.

We hear about all of the bad ones and not the vast majority that last the life of the cars.
  • lsrwwslsrwws Member Posts: 1
    Tell that to my wife who has to drive 8 1/2 hours in the heat to get back from VT because the compressor just blew apart while driving on the interstate. (2003, 80k miles) It should also be remembered that people with problems coming looking for answers because they are having problems. Our previous Hondas didn't have any problems.
    Tell that to my wife who has to drive 8 1/2 hours in the heat to get back from VT because the compressor just blew apart while driving on the interstate. (2003, 80k miles) It should also be remembered that people with problems coming looking for answers because they are having problems. Our previous Hondas didn't have any problems.

Oh my GOD! what did people do before in-car air conditioning? Oh, yes, they opened windows. I know, I know, it messes up her hair. :)

It, indeed, is not the end of the world.
  • copperheadscopperheads Member Posts: 6
    Here is something Honda should consider. When my A/C compressor froze up I was driving, the A/C clutch fell off and I saw it in my rear view mirror. It rolled into the ditch. I stopped and got it back. Had there been other cars behind me it could have caused an accident. Had I been in a city, it could of hit and killed someone.
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Just as a follow up we received a check in the mail today from Honda for $825. That covers the parts plus tax from my original $1,450 bill for replacement of the air conditioner.

"It must be remembered that these forums attract people with problems like a magnet!

I checked with our Service Manager and he confirmed what I already thought. Very few of these cause problems.

We hear about all of the bad ones and not the vast majority that last the life of the cars.
    "

In response to that previous post regarding this problem, Honda would not be doing these out of warranty payments if this was a random problem. This has all the earmarks of a much more serious problem and rather than a recall, Honda is choosing to only deal with failures and then the resultant complaint from the customer. Overall it's a lot cheaper to handle this way.

Jack
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    what did people do before in-car air conditioning?

They lived in the Northeast and enjoyed mild summers but didn't enjoy lake-effect snow dumps as much. :shades:

Steve, Host
    (who just recharged the home A/C in anticipation of more 100+°F weather to come)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    They lived in the Northeast and enjoyed mild summers...

You've never lived in the Northeast - it can get very hot and MUGGY there! Of course, it's not as bad as the Southeast. Idaho is probably the place to be for summers though! :shades:

tidester, host
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Honda is known for doing the "right thing" and covering some things that are out of warranty.

The sky really isn't falling and the problems are minimal when you look at all of the CRV's running around.

That was my only point.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Idaho is probably the place to be for summers though!"

No, near the beach in South Florida or California; perfectly heavenly weather (except for the occaisional hurricane).
    I thank you all for your input. I posted this the day before I left, the same day the AC went out. I have just spent 8 days rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon and didn't think about my compressor problem until the last day, when I remebered I had to deal with it when I got home to south Louisiana. Now home again, I will take all this under advisement. Probably call the Honda company. I have an extended warranty with Warranty Direct, recommended in several places. They only deal with rebuilt parts, and only authorized the compressor be changed, and not the replacement of the condesor and hoses also, which is the only thing Honda would do. So I was ticked with them also, because when I called them to ask who I could deal with in my town that would meet their price and conditions, they couldn't give me a list. Then I asked them to fax me a list of the companies and they said they don't have a fax machine. So I asked if I had to take my auto to each place, pay for an estimate (which I did at the Honda dealership) and then see if they would accept the warranty terms. They had no answer for me. So I was just supremely agitated with the whole situation especially as it was the day before I was leaving.
    I have an extended warranty with Warranty Direct, recommended in several places.

This probably your biggest problem. Honda would cover most if not all of the repair, but the warranty you PAID FOR, won't.

Most of those places that recommend third party warranties usually work for the warrnaty company, and it is their way to boost sales. Read the posts on Warranty Gold fiasco, which if not the same company, operates on the same principle.
  • cvillecarguycvillecarguy Member Posts: 1
    thanks to all. The A/C compressor on my 02 CRV (45K miles) blew out last week, and I found out today. I called the dealer, ready to state my case for why I should not be charged, who do I talk to at Honda, etc, when I was told that I qualified for a "goodwill warranty"--n/c to fix! (Also told that the compressor has been redesigned so I shouldn't have this problem again.) Final bit of info: the dealer usually has the compressor in stock, but had to replace one last Monday, so it will be next Monday before they can fix mine.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    Read the posts on Warranty Gold fiasco...

Weren't they at one time an Edmunds sponsor?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From the Help files:

"Edmunds.com has accepted advertising from a number of providers of extended vehicle warranties. Our advice is to look at a number of providers and compare. And be sure to check out our Warranty Tips."

Here's the link to "Warranty Gold" Claims discussion.

Steve, Host
  • rrosencrantzzrrosencrantzz Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jack

I'm having the same problem with the compressor on my 2002 crv with 80k miles on it. Can you tell my exactly what you did? I'd like to get back some of the $1200 i had to pay to get it fixed. What department did you ask for?(any extension or contact would be great). The number i show is 800.999.1009, is that the one you used?

thx

KEN
  • mtzungmtzung Member Posts: 1
    Hello! First of all, thanks to all the postings! On Friday, on my way back from work, I heard a loud noise in my car. I didn't think anything of it and thought it was other people's car. The closer I got to the house, the noise exploded. I thought the car was going to fall apart. My husband decided to check the AC and sure enough it was the compressor. I took it in to the dealership the next day and spoke to the service director. I told him that I was very disappointed with how Honda was handling this situation. Why a recalled wasn’t issued??!!! Long story short, they replaced my AC compressor at NO CHARGE and we got a RENTAL car paid by Honda. I must say that we got lucky with our dealership in Texas. The service director was diligent in that he recognized that the 02/03 CR-Vs are having the compressor problem. He told me that during those years, 3 types of AC compressors were used in various CR-Vs so it is hard to pin point which one is the defect. He stated that Honda recognized that it was and is becoming a problem and is doing the best to fix it! As a result, the dealership fixed our car under the goodwill warranty! I must say that when I walked into the dealership today, I was ready to argue and presented him with the information found on this site but didn't need to! Thanks again!
    Why a recalled wasn’t issued??!!!

Recalls are for safety related items. Broken A/c hardly qualifies for a safety item.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I have an '02 CRV EX with 33,000 miles. I am hearing a high pitched whirring noise whenever the AC compressor engages. Is the noise normal due to increased load on the pulleys? Could it be the R134a moving around in the system? I am keeping an eye on it to make sure the compressor isn't starting to go. Would it be advisable to take to the dealer for an AC performance check? Also seeing the belt tensioner moving a bit but not too much. Any ideas before I start running around stating "the sky is falling?" :shades: isellhondas may have a point: I used to do parts inspection for an electronics assembly shop and occasionally a part slips through which doesn't meet standards. The policy was to take a sampling of what was received by the various vendors which was a percentge of the gross quantity.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Any ideas before I start running around stating "the sky is falling?" isellhondas may have a point: I used to do parts inspection for an electronics assembly shop and occasionally a part slips through which doesn't meet standards.

Sorry I don't have advice on what to do but I hope you do keep in mind that there were over 200,000 '02 and '03 CR-Vs sold in the US. A few dozen reported problems with an AC compressor doesn't mean every one will have problems (but you knew that based on your post).
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Have 2002 ex 37,000 miles well maintained. Had front o2 sensor go last month changed that and this month A/c. Taking it to dealer on wed. New to area in PA.Will see how they treat me.

Drive 62 make it 199,999 plus honda's because I just reported a problem.

FussyCRV owner, if its the compressor its a one time noise sounds like: metal rattleing from underbody and than no A/C.
    Thanks for all of your inputs. Now to keep my head from rattling anticipating problems down the road :P I will admit that my CR-V has been the most reliable of any cars that I've owned.
    Those of you who have had A/C Compressor failures, could you respond with the country in which your CR-V was built? VINs with a "J" as the first letter are from Japan; others are from England. I'm just wondering if the compressors are different in the two countries, and the failures are all coming from one of the two plants but not from the other.
    stevedebi, My 2002 crv was made in Japan. purchased it dec.2001
  • wrbyrnewrbyrne Member Posts: 2
    The A/C compressor and Clutch failed on 2003 CRV, (69,700 miles) during my vacation to Florida in May/06. It was a long hot ride back. I had the problem diagnosed at a Honda Dealer in North Carolina on my way back to New Jersey. The esimated repair cost was $1272. I was in shock and I did not have the work done at that time. I've now contacted my Honda dealer in NJ. He did not offer a "goodwill" or "extended warranty" fix. He suggested I call America Honda instead. They were very nice, took lots of information and it's being assigned to a case worker. Let's see how it get's resolved. I'm hoping Honda does the right thing, and pays to replace the obviously defective original equipment.
  • aeadsaeads Member Posts: 3
    I just looked and our 2002 CRV was built in Japan. We had our compressor go out a few months ago and they replaced it at the time with no charge. NOW I KNOW WHY! My husband had another problem a week or so ago...the air conditioning started getting real warm and the engine would almost die, there was a noise before this. Could it be the new one is bad too?? It seems to be running good right now again. :confuse:
  • jaxfljaxfl Member Posts: 2
    This site has been invaluable to us. The airconditioning in our CRV '02 model with 47,000 miles stopped working just last week. With the information from postings here I was able to approach our local dealer (in NE FL) with some facts to back up our belief that a reputable manufacturer should be able to produce a component to last a lot longer than it did! I heard today that the whole system is going to be replaced at no charge to us, and the '2nd generation' compressor is going in, not the earlier type. The dealer's representative told me that it's being done under a 'goodwill warranty', after discussion with the Honda area rep. Thanks to all who posted information.
    Let's keep a count then. You are one. Everyone else chime in.

It's a car. Things go wrong. Seems like Honda is doing the right thing for people. Not sure what else people want (but I'm sure they'll let me know).
    So far, two replies, both Japanese build.
  • wrbyrnewrbyrne Member Posts: 2
    My CRV which had a A/C failure had a final assembly in Swindon, Wiltshire, England,but the engine was assembled in Japan
  • jaxfljaxfl Member Posts: 2
    Seems our CR-V could be from Japan: VIN beginning with J. (Honda are replacing the complete airconditioning system gratis under a 'goodwill warranty'.)
  • boognutboognut Member Posts: 1
    I hava a 01' CRV .The vehicle has 45,500 miles on it and we haven't had any issues,we bought the vehicle secondhand with 16,000 miles in very good condition.My wife came home and stated the air conditioner was not working.When I went out to see what might be the problem I heard a metallic/grinding noise so I removed the lower skid plate and found the compressor housing was cracked.There was also a laminated steel sleeve moving freely about inside the housing.I can replace the compressor myself for about $400.00 using a new unit.My fear is that metal shavings can plainly be seen in the area of the crack and I'm afraid they "may" have contaiminated the balance of the system evaporator/condenser etc.I believe this to be a mechanical failure as odd that may sound (you would not think a compressor could implode) because I see no evidence of an object hitting the area,and my wife recalls not such incident and no she is not a drinker LOL.So,I will run the situation by a reputable mechanic I know and then contact a our local Honda dealer to see about goodwill warranty and such.Any thuoghts appreciated..Thank you
    That is exactly what my dealer said about my AC. They stated they have had this problem before, and there would be mtal shavings in all the parts, therefore they had to replace not only the compressor, but the condensor and the hoses, thus the $2700 price tag.
    Honda dealer in Emmaus. PA said my compressor and clutch was gone and when they notified Honda corporate they authorized the repair at no charge. So it seems Honda is aware of the problem and is backing its product.
    Knock on wood - mine is still running at 33,000 miles. '02 EX model was built in Englind. VIN beginning with SHRS.
  • amcanoeamcanoe Member Posts: 9
    My 2001 CRV had AC compressor fail as a result of a stress crack that caused the output shaft to shear off causing the clutch assembly to come off. Honda America denies any such problem with this year model. Anyone else having this problem on a 2001 model? No goodwill warranty from the dealer either.
  • amcanoeamcanoe Member Posts: 9
    I have had to replace my transmission and AC system w/out any "right thing" from Honda.
  • jwc1919jwc1919 Member Posts: 1
    Well, add one more to the list.

2004 CRV, 52,000 miles, air conditioner started blowing hot air yesterday. Dealer said $2100 total (to replace most everything including the compressor, which was bad)

After seeing my maintenance records they offered to do the work for $1000.00

I called American Honda Customer Service (800) 999-1009 and they assigned a case worker who will contact me within 1-3 days to see if they can help with the bill.

stevedebi, my vin started with a "J"

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • 01crv06civic01crv06civic Member Posts: 3
    We have an '01 CRV with the same problem. The compressor practically exploded on the way home from work the other day. I called the local dealer here in TX, and they said the problem is not common on the '01. He did agree to call Honda on our behalf and try to get it covered when we bring it in. Not sure that means anything, but we will see. There is absolutely no reason the compressor should blow out with only 50K miles.

If there are any other '01 owners out there with the same problem, please post it. The more cases there are the better case we can make to Honda.
    My vin begins with a T. Not Japan.
    I have had to replace my transmission and AC system w/out any "right thing" from Honda.

Did you ask Honda Corporate? Or just the dealer?

It is not in dealer's interst for Honda Corporate to do the right thing because then they get paid less.
    My vin begins with a T. Not Japan.

And what country are you located in? The CR-V's in US and Canada only come from two sources, Japan (J) or UK (S).
    You have an '01 CR-V. Seems like if there is a real problem other than a part malfunctioning it has been mostly with the 2G CR-V.

Curious as to when exactly you feel an automaker's liability ends for a part that has failed? five years, six years, never??

Does your business routinely replace things that go wrong after six years for free?
  • crvridercrvrider Member Posts: 3
    Add another to the list of CRV owners with a blown AC compressor.

My CR-V is a 2003 with 45,000 miles... Bought less than a year ago used as a Certified vehicle with 29,000 miles.

I also have a 1999 CR-V with over 150,000 miles, which has been excellent. I've only had to replace front struts and the normal maintanance.... it's been sooo reliable. It's disappointing Honda would fail to fully test the compressor.

I called Honda USA at 800-999-1009 and had them open a case.

Hopefully Honda will make good on such a defective design especially since this is my third vehicle from the.

FYI... my VIN starts with 'SHSR'.

I'll keep everyone posted...
  • snowy3snowy3 Member Posts: 2
    my 2004 honda crv blew up july 4, 2006- vin starts wth a j.
    called corporate office, said to get an estimate. went to dealer in CA and got a quote for 2,700.00
    1,300 for labor and 1400.00 for parts. no help advice given but they said they can give us a discount for the parts half off. that's still 2,000.00. this is unacceptable for honda. bought it dec 2003 and of course it's out of warranty with 44,000 miles. (36,000 miles or 3 years whichever comes first, oh well). i consider myself a loyal honda customer. this is my 3rd honda car but never had problems with the other 2. totally unacceptable for a honda a/c to blow up.
    called corporate office tues and said that they will contact us within 2 business days. it's friday, have not heard a single word from them.
    by the way, the weather here is a 110 and no a/c.
  • tbcyberzomtbcyberzom Member Posts: 4
    My wife have 03 crv and yesterday the ac air is blowing hot air..i checked it out electronically and i found that the compressor is not working...i took it to the dealer just saying..the ac dont work...and they said that the compressor lock up ..and guess what..they told my that the compressor,condenser and hoses need to be change and its about $1970 the cost for the parts alone...i said thats crazy..and they offer me 1000 dollars for all those parts to be replaced including labor...the car is 3 years old and i have 64,000 miles on it..extended warranty is 60,000miles
    I am still not happy with 1000 dollars...any suggestion please help...never had a car that compressor blow out..