Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• shl18shl18 Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank everyone for this forum. My 2003 CRV A/C blew out at 61,000. Thanks to this forum I realized it was a factory defect. I insisted that Honda pay for the repair. Here in Southern California that meant a $2,800 repair. $1,900 for the part $800 for the labor. The dealer got Honda to pay for the part, but wouldn't cover the labor. I kept calling Honda until they finally reimbursed me for the labor.
  • mulkymulky Member Posts: 5
    Looks Like I've got the same problem with my 02 model, I was driving through downtown and everything shut off unexpectedly. When I restarted and turned everything back on the AC made the vehicle shut back off (stall). It looks like it’s the compressor pump that locked up. I opened a case with Honda America and am taking it to the Dealership on Monday so I can get an official Diagnosis. Should be interesting to see what Honda does about this, since the Vehicle has 91K miles on it and I bought it off a lot. The real bummer is I’ve only owned the vehicle for the last 10k miles, so this repair has an awful lot of sting to it.
  • zonicozonico Member Posts: 1
    I have Mexican 2003 Honda CR-V and have to say that I experienced the same problem with the A/C. The compressor blew up at almost 56K miles...at first neither the dealer nor Honda de Mexico were very helpful. After some email communication expressing the facts of the failure, including the same thing happening to many other US customers, Honda de Mexico was able to apply the same "goodwill warranty" as posted by other users. All in all, after a couple of weeks I had my A/C is working again and I didn't have to pay 1 peso! Talk about determination, this is the first time I know something similar happens in Mexico, because usually if your warranty has expired, then you're on your own...I'm glad Honda is backing up their quality internationally.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's good to hear. The few Canadian posters in here didn't have a good experience with Honda Canada overall.
  • omar7omar7 Member Posts: 2
    2004 CR-V with 88,000 miles. AC compressor seized causing metal parts to go thur entire system. Dealer had to replace a/c compressor, clutch, coil, expansion valve and condenser. Total cost $2000.00. I had the dealer call Honda and they did a 50/50 split on the cost. America Honda calls it Goodwill! I'm going to write as many letters as it takes to get my $1000 back.
  • gmlube1999gmlube1999 Member Posts: 3
    my "03 CRV with 64,000 miles had a complete ac break down on the interstate last week. after reviewing this web site, i called honda care center they told me to get it dianosed at any dealership. Needs a whole new ac system $3000. honda says they will pay parts only my labor cost will be $1000. I have owned hondas for 22 years and they are telling me the case manager is the highest person i can talk to. The case manager told me to call the dealership and they will let me know when the Honda regional parts manager will be in town and i can talk to him. What a crock of bs. Anyone esle told this???
    My family had owned full service gas stations and this compressor blowing up is a very uncomman thing. Come on HOnda stand behind your product. we currently have two -2003 hondas. i'll let you know what happens......
    i would not buy a honda crv i think the ac problems $$$$$ will cost you too much money later on.. but if you do want one you can buy mine!!
    after talking to the servive manger (at edmorse honda WPB), he says he will pay the labor, (honda corp say they would pay parts only). My opinion...BE PERSISTANT AND express your loyalty to the honda brand. i am very happy they are taking care of it. Stand your groud. if they say they will only pay the parts, keep calling and BE PERSISTANT@!!!!!!!good luck! I am happy to say I have a honda.
  • aloeffleraloeffler Member Posts: 2
    I drove to Las Vegas for a convention on July 19, (112 degrees) and coming back to the hotel from dinner, my AC blew out. Took it to the Honda dealer and left if with him to diagnose (at $97)the problem. He told me that the condensor had blown out and strewn metal particals throught the system. It would cost $2800 to fix. That's 12% of a new $23K vehicle. I was not about to layout that kind of money at 63K miles. He suggested I call Honda America. They opened a case for me and will call back next week. In the meantime the service mgr. spoke to the Honda Regional office and they offered to cover 50% of the bill. I still thought that was outrageous. So, I drove home in over 100 degree weather and found this site. Now I have good fuel for my fire and will bring this to Honda America's attention that I am aware this is not an unusual problem. I previously owned a 1988 Accord had the AC compressor die at 43,000 miles which cost $600 to repair in 1990. This was brought up with Honda America also. If I am to even consider buying another Honda in the future, I hope their good will policy takes care of this problem.
  • happyhillshappyhills Member Posts: 2
    Our 2003 CR-V compressor went out and put metal shaving in the whole system. We called Honda America and asked for the goodwill warranty since we have owned 7 Hondas. They picked up the entire $3000 repair & parts. Call them back and don't give in.
    Happyhills
  • p3bpilotp3bpilot Member Posts: 16
    I bought my son a 2003 Honda CRV for college. He hardly used it his first year and today it has only 37,600 miles. First the check engine light comes on..suspected O2 sensor after I reset the light and it came back on immediately after starting the car. A day later the airconditioner starts with a grinding noise. Last month I bought a 2007 Acura TL sport and my wife drives a 2001 Acura MDX. I took the CRV to the dealership and asked for a "good will" repair. I also called Honda America and opened a case requesting the same. The dealership first called and said that they would cover parts but I would have to pay $600 labor. The whole job was quoted at $1700. I asked if they would reference my case number with Honda America and see if they could get the labor covered as well. They called back and told me the whole thing would be covered. Thanks for all of the information on the failures and the guidance to call and ask for the repair to be covered even though the vehicle was technically out of warranty! I pitty all of those who shell out the dollars without checking first.
    Took it to Leith Honda in Raleigh for their diagnosis. They Diagnosed it as a bad AC Compressor, They went through and basically replaced the entire AC system with new parts. Honda Picked up the Tab as a goodwill warranty. In my opinion Honda went above and beyond on this one. Leith was great, it took them a Day to replace the AC system, Blows Freezing cold now. Honda Rocks! Not only do they make a quality product but there’s quality service to go with it.
  • debirealtordebirealtor Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 CR-V also had A/C compressor seize up and sent metal through the A/C system. I was charged $149.95 for the estimate of work needed to repair the A/C system and a quote of $3,300.00 for the parts and labor. After I GOOGLED the CR-V AC compressor issues and saw that this was not an isolated problem, I contacted Honda America and opened a case with them. A Rep called me within 2 days and suggested I speak to the service manager at our local Honda dealership. I am in Vacaville, Ca. The Manager Nate Sanchez was great. Vacaville Honda replaced my A/C at no cost to me.
  • lfpatternslfpatterns Member Posts: 1
    The A/C on my 2004 CR-V went out at 66K miles. (FYI - My car was manufactured in the UK.) There was no noise, no explosion, no debris, it just stopped working. My local mechanic gave me an estimate of $2,225 to replace the entire unit. After finding and thoroughly reading these postings (thank you all SO much!!!) I took the car to my local dealer - Leesburg Honda in Leesburg, VA. Honda NA has agreed to cover everything.

As stated in previous postings, call Honda first and take the car to the dealer with a case number already assigned. Stress your customer loyalty if possible (this is my third Honda). Be polite but firm. In my case, it only took one phone call to the 1-800-999-1009 number.

I know a lot of the other postings have expressed anger at Honda. I continue to be very pleased with the company and the vehicles they produce. My first Honda died at 160,000 miles when someone hit it. My second is still on the road with 230,000 miles. I've never had a serious problem with any of them - the 230K car still has it's original clutch! So a couple of days with no A/C and 3 days in the shop? I'm still an extremely loyal Honda owner.
  • davisanddavisand Member Posts: 1
    My compressor just exploded too. 2003 CR-V LX with 93,000k. Shot metal through the whole system. The dealer (Penske Honda, Ontario, CA) said $3,300 to replace everything.

After I saw these postings, I demanded they pay the whole thing...they said no way, but offered a 50/50 deal. I told them about the postings on this site, as well as others and that this was a widespread problem. The district parts manager was actually in the dealership when I was complaining, so I got to talk to him personally and they just weren't buying my sob story. I called American Honda at their toll free number and filed a complaint and it went nowhere. Living in CA, you have to have AC, or you'll die, so I'm stuck.

End result, $1,350 to replace the whole system on a car that's worth about $8,000 (almost 20% of the car's worth).
  • aloeffleraloeffler Member Posts: 2
    Update to my original posting. Today I took the CRV to Stephen Wade Honda in St. George, UT. The service mgr. told me that the Regional Rep. offered to pick up 75% of the cost of the A/C repairs, about $700 was left for me. I told him to go ahead with the repairs, but I was not happy with paying $700. I would have paid it, then protested the credit car bill, but I called the regional rep. from Honda America assigned to my case, and I expained that I have had my Honda repaired at an authorized Honda service facility since buying the CRV, and that "normal maintanence costs" should not include replacing the WHOLE A/C system at 63K miles. I kept pressing the fact that it wasn't right that the A/C system should fail after 3.5 years. He finally relented, and said Honda would pick up 100% of the repair. That was very generous of him, and I appreciate the fact that Honda wants to keep their customers happy. Got the car back after 6 hrs. and it blows really, really cold air now. Thanks to all who took the time to come to this site. If there were a way to gather the owners/VIN # of all these Honda's that had a problem, or better yet, get the Honda service repair numbers for A/C replacements and present it to Honda, they may just go for 100% with out arguement. But, be nice, be firm, and keep asking "is this something that SHOULD be expected to go bad in a Honda"? and "Why should I buy another Honda, knowing that in 3 years I will probably have a $2800-$3000 repair bill"?
    Good luck every one.
  • ashmoleashmole Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 80,000 miles on it. A week ago, on a very hot day in a town three hours from home, the A/C compressor blew out. This is obviously a common problem and Honda is in denial. We were originally quoted $3000 for the repair, but between my wife calling Honda America and the dealership trying on our behalf, we escaped with only $600 for labor. Still, this was $600 we shouldn't have had to pay: we bought Honda because of its reputation for quality and now have been badly burned. We are in the market for a new car and I was planning on a Honda hybrid. Too bad, Honda: after this experience we went to the Toyota dealership this weekend and will be driving a spiffy new Camry Hybrid come fall. Potential Honda buyers should beware.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Honda, Toyota, Nissan , Subaru all have had there issues there is nothing PERFECT made. Ask the sludge owners of Toyota and Lexus .

MNF
  • flhokieflhokie Member Posts: 2
    Add another one to the list. Friday, while driving home from work the a/c stopped blowing cold air in my 2002 Honda CRV. A new dealership (I recently moved) got me in for a diagnostic on Saturday. When the service rep told me what was wrong I commented on how I had heard about the frequency of this problem with the vehicle. His response was "at least your educated about it." I left after paying $115 for the diagnostic and contacted American Honda this morning (was assigned a case number).
    My issue is that Honda has known about the problem with the a/c compressor and just hopes people don't find out that they've known there is a problem.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    My '02 has 88K now.. I feel like I'm walking on thin ice.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Gee an almost six year old vehicle and you're worrying if something will go wrong, imagine that.

Good thing you have a Honda. Any other brand and you'd be paying out of your pocket, but as has been seen here, Honda is covering this issue. Good thing you didn't buy a Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, Buick, etc.
  • dance_dancedance_dance Member Posts: 1
    BACKGROUND: I have a 2002 CR-V with 80,000 miles, built in Japan (according to the VIN), purchased in December, 2001. Compressor went out and was replaced (under warranty) in June, 2004. I live in southeast Louisiana...HOT & HUMID (heat index of 115 today)!

So, last Monday my A/C started blowing hot air. I called my dealership. The service guy told me that he estimates the new compressor replacement to cost around $1400. That figure was without seeing the car.
    Well, I was determined that I could get it done for less. I started doing some research and stumbled upon this site yesterday. I called Honda this morning and I'm now waiting for my case manager to call me. I was told that since this is the 2nd time my compressor has gone out, I have a good shot and this being covered. I sincerely hope he's right. Thanks to this site, I threw out the "goodwill warranty" that I read about on here. The Honda guy stammered a little bit and asked where I heard about it. He was very apologetic and sweet. He told me I need to take it to Honda for a diagnostic test.

My very generous parents bought this car for me. They chose Honda because of their reputation for quality. I understand that cars break and fall apart and all that. But, to go through 2 compressors?!?! And, I had an issue with my gas gauge being faulty - it stayed on empty. The Honda service guy told me I should just watch my mileage and fill up every 250 miles. Um, no. After some back and forth, Honda repaired that issue as well.
    Honda is a good company and they seem to care about customers. I just hope they've learned from this. I'm ready to trade the car in and be done with it.

We'll see what my case manager tells me.
  • ihayesihayes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 53k miles and my ac went out last week.It start blowing hot air-not a great thing to happen when you are in the middle of a heat wave. I found this website and learned about the problem with the air compressor before I contacted the dealership. When I called the service department I told them what had happened and that I heard this was a "common problem" with honda crv's. The service manager said he had heard of the problem but didn't elaborate. I took the car in to get a diagnosis and when I called to check in they said "it was being fixed right now" I indicated that I hadn't authorize the repair since I hadn't gotten a quote. The service manager said the repairs were completely free! Pretty amazing-I was prepared for a battle but Superior Honda in Cincinnati beat me to the punch!!!Honestly,they have provided exceptional customer service-I only hope other crv owners have such a positive result
  • mvidacmvidac Member Posts: 2
    Glad to see there is info on this! I had the A/C in my 04 CR-V redone last year under that goodwill deal and was happy as could be ... until now ...

Seems there is a very subtle rattle coming from somewhere on the passenger side that can only be heard from inside. When the compressor cuts on there it is! Subtle but annoying — not as annoying as the almost imperceptible clicking in the dome light but that's another thread! (Anyway, I don't recall this happening the last time the A/C blew. It just blew. All of a sudden there was a hideous noise and I had to open the window to find out it was me. And then I noticed the A/C blowing hot. That time I had no indication.) I don't know if this rattle is a sign of bad things to come but I do know my warranty is up on Aug 21 so to the dealer she goes!

It definitely worsens — though still almost inaudible when you accelerate. My fiancé listened for it with the hood up and me inside giving it gas but it really can only be heard from the inside and it seems it's coming from the dash/glovebox area.
    :confuse:

Any clues???

Other than that I love my CR-V!!
  • makdaddymakdaddy Member Posts: 1
    My wife insisted we buy the 5yr/75Kmi extended service contract ($500) when we purchased our 2002 CR-V. I didn't want to but was pleased that my blower in my ac/heater was repaired/covered after it failed this past Jan. The heating coils worked but I had to be driving at least 40 mph to generate any air flow.

Then my 6 disc cd player broke and I got back from my vacation just in time (74036 mi) to have it sent out to Cali. for repair (and they salvaged all 5 discs that were loaded).

Finally, the same day I picked up my car from the service center and was elated w/ the sounds my compressor blew up. I heard the grinding noise over the stereo and was immediately deflated knowing I was currently at ~76K and it wasn't covered.

Fortunately, my service guy told me he'd called Honda America in Irving and plead my case but didn't promise anything. He said he told them I'm the original owner, follow regular maintenance schedule,etc. I honestly didn't expect anything, but when my wife came to pick me up in her '06 Civic, and I prepared to tell her the $1400 bad news, Matt followed me out and said they'd called back and would cover the cost. Bam! I was back to elated again.

So...
    #1. Honda does indeed make quality vehicles.
    #2. I'm very pleased w/ the service dept., especially Matt @ McNatt.
    #3. Anytime I can save $1400 is a great day.
  • honda9297honda9297 Member Posts: 2
    Everyone, thank you in advance for the information.

1)How hard is to change an air compressior on a CRV?
    2)Is there any tricks that you can share in changing the
    air compressior?

Thanks
    Mark
  • bogie_4bogie_4 Member Posts: 1
    Honda should be taking care of the problem and no one should have to fight individual battles. They need to live up to their reputation for building a reliable vehicle. Everyone should be reporting this to the department of consumer affairs. It is a safety issue if your engine will seize and stop. Honda should be recalling the CRV (they know there is a problem). Standard response is parts only. My case took over three weeks to "resolve" Honda did pay the entire bill(2003CRV had 98,000 miles). But not without my persistence and politeness.
    I had somthing simular, the Rattle wasn't subtle it was somewhat loud, like the brake pads rattling in the calipers. Turns out they overfilled my AC unit. After they adjusted it to the right amount Problem went away.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Everyone, thank you in advance for the information.

1)How hard is to change an air compressior on a CRV?
    2)Is there any tricks that you can share in changing the
    air compressior?

Thanks
    Mark

First, you need a $3000 A/C evacuation machine to remove all of the refrigerant out of the system.

Do the physical replacement.

Use that machine to remove all of the air in there, and then charge the system with oil and refrigerant.

If you have the machine, you probably already know how to replace the compressor.
  • mvidacmvidac Member Posts: 2
    Well, I brought it to Honda and after a whole day of supposedly running tests and taking test drives they surmised it was — GET THIS — a plastic bracelet from Mardi Gras 3 years ago hanging from my rearview mirror. Of course I refused to believe this since A)that bracelet has been there for THREE YEARS and B) I know darn good and well I'm hearing the sound from the area of the dashboard/glovebox on the passenger side.

They proceed to charge me $46.22 even though I'm still under warranty — which I didn't even bother to fight. I pay, get in, start it up and bingo! same noise. Same as ever!

Right back into the office I go. On the way I grab a mechanic and have him sit in the car. He hears it immediately and even points to the area I'm hearing it from!

Since it was almost 6 p.m. there wasn't much I could do but leave it for the next day — another day of being without a car and bumming rides — for the service manager to check out.

Three phone calls and voicemails to them the next day and no return until about 2 p.m. It is then I'm told it's 'as quiet as a churchmouse' and that they can't hear a thing. Even the mechanic who heard it the night before can't hear it suddenly!! They suggest I come down and take the service manager for a ride and try to get him to hear it.

Now, I'm no mechanic but I know when I hear a noise, I'm hearing a noise. I also know when it sounds mechanical and not just some squeak or rattle in the frame. I am livid that I'm being made a fool of and I'm convinced it's because I am a woman!!

I call my fiancé and luckily he got off early. He goes down there, suffers through Oprah in the waiting room and finally they come to see him and tell him very nonchalantly that it's the compressor (THAT THEY REPLACED THE YEAR BEFORE!!) and that they will be replacing it free of charge as well as refunding my $46.22! Just like that! How quickly the story changes when a male who might just know something about cars walks in!!

I now have an appointment for Thursday of this week to have the work actually done. So we'll see.

For future reference in case anyone in the New Orleans area reads this post, this is Royal Honda in Metairie I'm dealing with! BEWARE!!
  • jordanjjordanj Member Posts: 1
    I am the less than proud owner of a 2003 Honda CR-V with AC issues. My AC experienced "black death" in 2005 after having the vehicle for less than 2 years. It's been an ongoing battle with my AC ever since (I believe I'm going on the 5th or 6th time that something on the AC has failed). Today, my AC started dying on me again. The fan was just replaced less than a month ago. So I called the dealership and was referred to American Honda Customer Service who noted that they have received many complaints about this issue, but still need to hear from more people before the issue becomes recall worthy. So please, everyone who has encountered AC problems with the CR-V, make a call to American Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009 and report the problem so that Honda will take action.
  • rsparksrsparks Member Posts: 1
    I thought I loved my 2003 CRV (83k miles) until this weekend. The ac compressor failed while I was driving in 102 degree heat between Florida and Missouri! That was not a fun trip! When I got home, I brought it to a Honda dealer who said that metal had been sent throughout the whole system and that it would cost over $3000 to repair the ac system. When I talked to the dealer an hour later, I was told that my VIN number wasn't one of the CRVs that could get Honda to pay for the ac. However, Honda would pay for parts, and I would only have to pay for labor at a reduced rate for a total of $700. I was thrilled to only have to pay $700 instead of $3000. Now, after reading this web site, I'm not sure if $700 is a good deal or not. (?)
  • honda9297honda9297 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.
    I priced everything that Honda said I needed to repair my A/C.When Honda said $1000.00 just in parts, I told them no.
    I went to a local import salvage yard and bought a used A/C compressior for $175.00 replaced it myself and had a mechanic friend evacuate the system, he did not charge me a dime. I bought a can of refirgerant and recharged the system myself. total cost $220.00.
  • discovererdiscoverer Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago my CRV air started making a grinding noise.A local repair shop estimate of $1700. A web search got me here. We called Honda warrentee in California, got a case number, then went to a dealer. They good faithed the parts, and charged me 730.00 for labor. I bought the certified '04 CRV 8 months ago for $17k. After reading about all the problem on the air, and the (better than average) rating in Consumer Reports, there's a cover-up going on. I'm going to be writing a few letters. The dealer told me we were the 6st CRV with the same problem they had repaired in the last two weeks. I like my CRV, but which I had stayed with Toyota, the best car I ever owned. :surprise:
  • anndianndi Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the information, wish I had known about this sooner. My 2002 CRV needed a/c replaced summer of 2004, just over the 36,000 warranty mark. It was around $1500 but I just paid it and was really disappointed because I thought Honda was supposed to be more reliable. Last week the a/c quit working and after diagnosis I remembered the last time that happened. I was really disgusted then, my 3rd a/c and I was just mailing my last car payment. After my non-dealer serviceman looked at it and made some calls he was a little concerned that it would take him 3-4 days to get the parts but that the dealer had "plenty" on hand, he considered that a possible sign of a known problem. Another service employee directed me to the internet to read TSBs and sure enough, I found all these good people sharing their stories. I called Honda for my case number even before I took it to the Honda dealer. I've printed most of these stories as backup info for when I return to the dealer on Monday although I suspect they are quite familiar with the situation. With all the people that Honda has helped with their goodwill program, I expect to be one too since I've already paid for the vehicle and the first replacement. I will direct everyone I know to this site.
  • jnyquistjnyquist Member Posts: 2
    I'll add one more to the list. The AC on my '04 with 73k miles on it "failed" on August 2. The dealer first charged me $82.00 to diagnose the problem. When it was found to be the compressor, etc., they said the fix would cost $1200 as long as system wasn't contaminated. If it was contaminated it would cost closer to $3000. A quick web search brought me to this site and when I called the dealer back, armed with this info, they offered to cover the parts only, roughly $800, because my mileage was so high. So I called Honda of America as directed from other posts, spoke to a very friendly guy who took all my info, and was promised a call back within 48 hours. The call came and the offer was $100 copay from me and Honda would take care of the rest, even the contamination if necessary. So, yes I'm grateful for this deal but somehow still feel cheated for paying anything at all, especially the diagnosis charge. Why can't Honda and their service departments just be up front about this from the start? My dealer is Don Davis Honda in Amherst, New York.diagnos
  • calyculonecalyculone Member Posts: 1
    Add a 2005 with 42xxx miles with a bad compressor. The dealership messed up and thought our 2005 (not certified and not covered) was our 2004 (Certified Used and covered but totaled in 2005). They first told me that they would cover the whole amount and after I pointed out the error, they now want me (even though it was their error) to pay 10 % of what it cost the dealership to fix it. I need a list of what Honda told other people what the total cost was to replace the compressor.
  • eturner1eturner1 Member Posts: 1
    Thank all of you so much for this information. I have a 99 CRV with 130K miles. Last year for the first time, i started having a/c problems. I replaced the A/C compressor, bought a new cooling fan and was well until a few days ago. Unlike most of these posters, there was no noise or any other warning. It just started to blow hot air. My 'neighborhood' mechanic thinks i should buy a new compressor and replace something called the 'suspension valve'. But after reading your comments, I think I am going to contact Honda and see what i can come up with even though i am way out of my warranty period.
    My dealer is Don Davis Honda in Amherst, New York

Hey, that is where I bought my CR-V. But I do all the work my self. I took her in for warranty work to Lia, because they are closer to work.

Good to know that Don Davis worked with you on this issue.
  • ray41ray41 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Honda CRV - 70K miles -The compressor went out today. I was pretty upset because I was on my way to pick up my husband from surgery and it was 90 degrees out. You hope to avoid things like this with a young car. Anyway, here is my positive experience at the Honda dealership.

I first called a dealership where they wanted to charge me $175 to look it, said most likely it would NOT be covered by warranty, and they estimated that the costs would be a few thousand dollars.

Then I called a different dealership and got a totally different story...they only wanted $51 to look at it and said it most likely will be covered. Here is my experience with them...

I took it to the Honda Dealership where I purchased the car (MILE HIGH dealership Denver, Colorado), and they were AWESOME!! They had my AC fixed in 2 1/2 hours at NO COST TO ME!!! Free! As it should be.

We bought the car used about 2 years ago and it was Honda Certified. I thought I would have no chance because I signed an AS IS statement (yellow carbon copy) therefore declining the option of a full or limited Warranty. But look through your paperwork because the warranty I found was on our Purchase Order & Invoice which has an Extended Vehicle Protection on there.

Here is what Honda said was wrong with the AC from my $0 invoice:
    THE AC COMPRESSOR HAS EXPLODED - Replace A/C Compressor, Clutch, Coil, Recharge System.
    If I would have had to pay for it, it would have cost me $1,500.

Hope this is helpful as to what to expect. Warranty or not.
  • copperheadscopperheads Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 CR-V AC went out going down the road Sunday. I heard a bumping noise and then noticed a car part bouncing towards the ditch behind me. I took it to a Honda dealer in Raleigh and they told me the compressor "froze up", "imploded", and the whole system is contaminated and it would cost $4300+ to fix. My Honda has 70,000 miles. I would think an AC would last much longer. I've called Honda America. Wish me luck. It is interesting to see these posts by others having a problem with a CR-V AC system.
    Also have a 2004 CR-V with 70,000. My compressor "froze up" and fell apart. But they are telling me it will be $4300+ to replace everything.
  • colorado_kidcolorado_kid Member Posts: 32
    Ray41... I am curious who else you have had luck with in Denver? Sounds like you are very happy with Mile High. Can you tell me which dealer you had a problem with regarding your AC issues? I am in Denver and have tried every dealer, but would love to know who you had problems with.

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And please rate your dealer and their service here at Edmunds:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews

Thanks!
  • klpctklpct Member Posts: 1
    I had this same issue with a 2003 Odyssey which Honda swears they have never seen. Obviously they have seen it in the CRV plenty of times. I have only found 1 other instance of this in the Odyssey. How did you make out with Honda. They offered me $1,000 towards a $4,000 bill. I will never buy a Honda again.
    If I am not mistaken, the ac unit comes on whenever you turn on the windshield defogger (even if the heat is on).
    I don't yet know how this will turn out. My car is being service at this moment. I've placed two calls to the "Service Advisor", one last night and one this morning and have no response. I spoke with someone at Honda America and have been assigned a case number. I am hopeful to get some assistance here. You'd think my "service advisor" would be active in helping facilitating this. I was planning on trading next year. The way this all turns out will certainly influence what I will be shopping for.
    If I am not mistaken, the ac unit comes on whenever you turn on the windshield defogger (even if the heat is on).

Yes it does, unless you or someone have reprogrammed yours not to come on with the defog, like many of us did.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Yes it does, unless you or someone have reprogrammed yours not to come on with the defog, like many of us did."

I had thought the reprogramming just turned off the "A/C" light, not the compressor... but it's been a while since I looked into this.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I see from the post that it allows one to manually turn off the compressor when the defroster is on. I think the defroster still automatically comes on, but could be turned off with the change.

Here is the original post with the procedure:

Programming the Defrost w/o AC - 2002 thrugh 2006 CR-V

Any 2007 CR-V owners care to try this and see if it still works on the Gen 3?
  • b4nowb4now Member Posts: 1
    On 8/9/07 I was exiting the highway and my car completely stalled. It was in the high 90's that day, so I didn't think too much about it since the car started again right away. I did take it to the dealer though for a look-over. They ran tests and checked the fluids and said they couldn't find anything wrong and were nice enough to not charge me anything. On 8/15/07 it was another hot day and I was on the highway and noticed my car was making a strange noise. I realized that when I turned off the a/c the noise stopped! I then turned my a/c on again and the noise sounded like a blender on high speed. Once again back to the dealer and this time they told me it was the air compressor but that they would have to order the part. Needless to say I was not happy. I came home and got online and found this website and read all the complaints that were so similar to mine. I immediately called American Honda and gave them my information and they gave me a case # and said they would get back to me in a few days. To make a long story short (since I have gone on and on) they agreed to pay for the repair. I should mention that my 2002 CRV has low mileage and we had a Honda previously that we kept for about 9 years - these were bought new. We also have had these Hondas mostly serviced by a Honda dealer, at least for the big maintenance jobs. I need to thank everyone who helped me by posting their story about their CRV air compressor on this site. I probably would have just paid the bill and been really upset (and broke) if I had not read all your posts that helped me get assistance with this. I can't thank you all enough. I wish everyone else good luck with their pursuits.