Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• cowboy9cowboy9 Posts: 161
    Hey Nick,

There are a very few that didn't have any problems with the 6.0L motor, and I do mean very few so my advice to you is run very fast the other way from it and save your self the headache. If you really want a Diesel and want a newer one then look for a 03 that still had the 7.3L which is kind of hard or a good 02, there is actually a lot of them out there as most yuppies that bought them only got them and never actually used them, most beds are cleaner then the inside of my truck and not even a scratch in them. Anyway good luck in your search and what you are looking for.

Tony
  • Hey Tony,

thanks for the advice.

Nick
  • I bought a 1996 F250. clean truck well maintained, no leaks, 270,000 miles, has a problem at startup. it starts to gallop and wont idle, if I acelerate slowly up to about 1800 rpm for 15 seconds or so it will smooth out at idle and run normal. acelerating the pedal slowley it does nothing for about the 1st inch then jumps up to 1800 - 2000 rpm, so it does not acelerate smoothley. does any one know what could be causing this problem? and what I need to do to troubleshoot and fix. sincerly. scott... kscottrose@hotmail.com
  • I have solved my problem with a lot of expense. Seems the first owner of my truck installed a Superchip into the ECM. The chip went bad and caused the problems. The Ford mechanic pulled it out and the truck runs ok. I do notice a loss of power and mileage that the chip was providing.

Anyway, pull the chip before you buy an expensive ECM. The dealer tried to charge me a restocking fee for the ECM they ordered but I wouldn't stand for it and they backed down.

Hope this post helps someone.

PS: Anyone using a Superchip???? I found them on the internet and might replace the bad one.
    lol, You must have the pre 99 model year. I forgot all about those. I guy I used to know had that same problem. He had Spent like 400 plus dollars on the chip and he kept having it do that same thing. It was about 2 or 3 years later when they came out with the Programmer and did away with the Chip. I never bought the chip but have bought 3 Programmers for my trucks and they work great. This 01 I have now had that Dilobo or what ever kind of Chip in it when I got the truck and I pulled it out and used the Programmer but not quick enough as the chip messed up the system and has had to have some work done on it.

Tony
  • I think when I trade in I am going to just get a King Ranch 150 until Ford can figure out the problems. Besides, they are practically giving away the 150's right now. If you are considering a class action suit and think we might have a leg to stand on, and can get someone to take the case against Ford...I am all for it and just tell me where to sign up.
    Tell me how to get the word out and I will help out in any way I can. I know I am just a silly girl, but there are plenty of us out there that are getting screwed over by Ford and don't know any better. Fortunately, I happened upon this website and all of ya'lls help and suggestions. If nothing else, I am always up for a good underdog battle against the corporate giants with fat pockets that will try to wait and starve the little guys out. I have nothing but free time on my hands and love to do research (including legal loopholes) I am a stickler for tedious details that most people overlook.
  • I am looking at purchasing an '05 and was looking for any experiences like yours that would be helpful. It appears that experience is all over the place. Are you recommending not purchasing? I want this to be a buy and hold vehicle.

Thanks!

Brian Johnson
    bajohnson1@gmail.com
  • abouchabouch Posts: 6
    Brian,

Ford buyers beware 6.0L a defective engine.

Please read below it is a prior posting, I would like to add that I have talked with other people that have had their EGR Cooler, Fan Clutch, Coolant Tank and Cap, and Head Gaskets in that order in my case it also needed a cylinder head.

What does Cyl. Head on National backorder tell you?

Others I have spoke with have had their vehicle bought back by Ford, they are limited in what they will share beyond the fence post because Ford makes them sign a non disclosure agreement as part of the buyback.
    How do you spell "COVERUP" ?

When you go to the Dealer for warranty they act like your the only one having a problem they even told me they couldn't find anything wrong this last visit I had to tell them I wasn't going to take the truck till it was fixed.
    I can assure you this is the big deal that has knocked Ford out of the #1 Truck slot.

"Ford’s claims that Super Duty pickups with the 6.0L diesel could not be repaired. The auto maker said it had to buy back the trucks from customers."
    See article http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_diesel_navistar/

Anthony

Previously Posted
    The real deal is that the engine was poorly designed example: 7.3L engines have 18 head bolts and I believe the 6.0l has 10 so now we have an engine thats smaller and has been hot rodded from the factory to produce more power.

More compression, more boost and less head bolts = poor combination causing poor results, all the things that have been replaced are secondary to the real problem (pressure building up in the cooling system) causing EGR Cooler failure.

There are even Technical Bulletins that end with replacing the head gaskets however It is my opinion that the problem will re-occur and when warranty runs out you will pay for this out of pocket.

If you would like to converse more I am considering a Law Suit against Ford I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L with 55,000 miles and it is at the dealer right now and they tell me it needs a coolant tank.

Please pass this on, respond, get the word out, if I get enough response I will launch a web.

Please Copy Share and Post freely.
  • abouchabouch Posts: 6
    justasillygirl,

I am in California flew in friday from Wyoming in to pick my truck and it is still not ready

I will send you an email address at the end of the week when I get back to Wyoming don't buy yet.

Anthony
  • I am running a hot wire straight from the battery to my fuel pump to get power. I have a toggle switch to turn it on & off. I'm tired of this problem. Has anyone experienced power loss to your fuel pump? If so, what can I do to correct this problem? :confuse:
  • ricky16ricky16 Posts: 10
    I HAVE A 1995 7.3 IN A 450 FORD,IT HAS STARTED SMOKING WHEN FIRST START IT.IT SMOKES A LOT AND MISSES FOR ABOUT 5 SEACENTS,AND CLEARS UP AND WILL NOT DO IT AGEAN UNTIL IT COOLS OF FOR,10 TO 15 HRS.
  • madbattmadbatt Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 F350 6 litre diesel. I run on WVO. So far I can't complain about it except for the expensive fuel filters. My first question is, the external transmisson filter when should it first be changed and at how many miles after? The second is, inside the primary filter there is a fuel valve that the filter snaps into. How often should that be changed to maintain good fuel flow?
  • Where to begin. I have not had many problems with my 1999 Ford F350 7.3 lt Powerstroke Diesel until last week. It seems it keeps shutting off. Almost like it is not getting fuel after the same dsitance home from work. (approx. 20 Minutes) If I let it sit for an hour. I will then be able to use it again and run normal for another 20 minute drive.
    I have flushed the radiator and entire water coolant system. I have also replaced the fuel filter. This is really bugging me, because I do not have a lot of money nor the time to take it to the shop. Any suggestions on what my be the problem?

I am still driving it each day, my drive time is under 15 minutes on normal commute, unless traffic trouble. Then I will have to let it sit froa few minutes and then it will work for a few miles, then act up again. It is quite frustrating. As I am not to engine savy. Any suggestions? I have heard when a fuel pump goes out, it normally just quits completely. Someone said the truck has two fuel pumps. Does this sound like a problem from oneof them? I am lost, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hey Steve,
    Start with making sure you have no water in your Fuel, there is a Yellow Tab that you move to the left at the bottom of where your Fuel Filter is. It's on the Bottom left side of it, it may move to the Right, one way or the other, lol. Next normally if it's the Cam Sensor they usually won't keep running once they go out but maybe you have one that is acting up. Ford just had a Recall on all those from like 96 to 03 with 7.3L Motor, if you haven't had your's replace just take it to any Ford Dealer and they will run your Vin and Replace it for FREE then have them drive it for 20 minutes or so to make it stays running which they should do for no charge as well.
    Fuel pump is kind of like the Cam Sensor as once it goes out it normally won't run.
    If those 2 things don't work just write back.
    Tony
  • i have a 2004 f 250 6.0 diesel. lately when ever i cruise at about 2000 RPM and then step on the fuel pedal all i get is my truck spewing black smoke and it starts to miss if i let off the pedal it stops and goes back to normal it also happens when i drive up a hill or even an overpass can someone please help. i just changed my fuel filter and that didn't sole the problem
  • I don't know if this will help or not. I have a 2004 F350 diesel and recently had a smoke issue similar to yours when there was stress on the motor I had alot of smoke. It never missed though. I took it to the dealer and told them I thought my injector was bad dumping fuel when idling. They couldn't figure it out for a week. They had to call the tech's at ford's. Finally they found that the seal or seals were bad inside the turbo. They didn't replace the turbo but replaced the (seal)s . It was all covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. After the fix no more smoke. It seems to be fine, but it never seemed to affect the performance.
  • I have a 97 F250 7.3 won't get above 1500 rpm until good and warmed up. It started just when it was cold weather and now it does it all year. Once it is warmed up not one issue, but until it gets to normal operating temp I got no go. If I try to force it to go all i get is black smoke. Used a friend's superchip computer. Came up with a code for an atmospheric pressure sensor. No parts store can find that. SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!
  • slmx525slmx525 Posts: 4
    Hey Bobby. It sounds like I'm have the same problem (except for the overdrive light flashing) with my '00 F350 . Did you ever find out what your problem was and find a fix? Help!
  • slmx525slmx525 Posts: 4
    Help! Transmission just recently started to show these problems: occasionally when starting the truck and putting transmission into drive there's nothing there (it's like it is in Neutral), 2nd is the same. The trick to getting 2nd & Drive working and moving forward is to put truck into 1st gear and drive slowly forward and then shift into 2nd then into Drive to engage transmission. This method has worked everytime regardless of temperature, duration of how long the truck had been running or shut down, etc. Now there is a new problem: the method of putting truck into 1st gear and then to Drive is no longer working. 1st gear seems to be slipping (or what I believe to be slipping) and doesn't engage. If I gas it at this point and go to 3000 rpm and then back off, it will slowly engage into 1st and then again I can shift into 2nd and then Drive. Reverse has always worked fine. Any ideas?
  • Hope you guys can help me out. I'm ready to finish my EGR cooler delete project. I need to get a u-shaped hose that connects the 3/4" pipe that feeds the coolant into the manifold and to the 3/4" outlet at the oil cooler. I saw one on a ford truck forum (i think) a couple of weeks ago, but i didn't have it bookmarked.
    If any of you remember seeing that hose, i'd like you to email me. It was a perfect u-shape, 3/4" i.d. hose. thanks.