Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• SunnyD65SunnyD65 Member Posts: 4
    You posted a reply to a power window problem back in April of 2008 you said it was probably the drivers switch and you provided a link to a diagram. I tried to use the link and I think its expired or something. I was just wondering if you possibly remember the link and could provide it to me. Thankyou for your time.
    Cathi
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I see a diagram in that post, not a link.

If you can't see the diagram try Right > Click > Save and maybe you can open it on your computer. Here's the direct link to try too.
  • wamdapwamdap Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 sportage with power window problem. The rear passenger window wont go up.How do I remove the window switch.I removed the door arm rest pocket to get at the switch,but cant seem to get the switch out.How do I release the switch? Please help. :shades:
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    Here is the link again...and it works. Maybe your security settings are set too high..
    power windows

..I have kind of same problem with rear right window...but jiggling with the button eventually will do it. Obviously a faulty contact in the switch. I did not manage to open the door or switch yet.
    register and browse through www.kiatechinfo.com
  • uncleb1uncleb1 Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 02 4dr sportage,,an the power windows dont go up or down on all 4 of them.sometimes they work sometimes they go down then dont go up now they are up an wont go down..all fuses check ok,,not sure if there a relay for these or is it a switch problem.. :confuse:
  • dailydatadailydata Member Posts: 8
    I also have an 02 sportage I have been very happy with it, and very few problems but recently I have experience the same problem with the right rear window will not work at all, I just had it in the shop for maintenence with external interior cleaning done also and the window has not worked since so perhaps a wire was just loosed or something, I have solved auto problems on this site before even when the dealers mechanic could not find the problem so I am sure our hosts will continue to be helpful thank you all,
  • mgpagemgpage Member Posts: 2
    My a/c is working fine (as well as it can in Houston) but the air will only blow out the windshield vents on the dashboard.....whether I set the dial to direct the air there or in my face or the floor. Any ideas on why this is and what I need to do to correct this???
    THis is a mechanical cable control. So you have to look for this cable, is it secured on both ends, or is it disconnected from the control knob....????
  • keyopkeyop Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Kia Sportage that has recently been stalling when I come to a stop or in traffic. I press on the accelerator and it bogs/stalls. It almost feels like im running out of gas and it's stalling. In most cases the motor doesnt die but seems to just loose power then run ok. Sometimes it does die but will crank back up and run fine til I stop again. It runs fine on the highway at regular speed. The check engine light came on and at times would flash. I've taken it to get the codes read. It was saying catalytic converter and misfire. I've since had the fuel injectors cleaned, a tune up, new fuel filter, new air flow sensor, a new catalytic converter(the one locacted under the car) and it still keeps cutting out/stalling when i come to stops. I'm about to change the Crank Position Sensor, cuz I've read on here that it could be the problem. Does anyone have any solutions to what my problem could be? I do know my manifold has a small crack and wondering if the Front Catalytic Converter may be clogged and causing the stall problem. I also had taken it to the Dealer and they charge me $89 for a basic diagnostic only to tell me that they couldnt figure out what the problem could be unless I paid an additional $200 for them to do more tests on it. What a rip off!!! They said if may be the Catalytic Converter or a Wiring harness issue. I guess the exhaust manifold and front catalytic converter is my next replacement to try to solve this issue. Can anyone help with advice before i end up changing every part under the hood???
    Thanks!
    Well I replaced the Crank Position Sensor and wasted $80 cause it didnt solve my stalling problem. So I replaced the Front Catalytic Converter and Nope it still stalls out!!! I guess the Fuel pump will be the next thing I try to replace. Though I'm getting good Fuel pressure with the fuel pump that is on it now. I'm at a loss!!! I've spent way too much money replacing part after part and no resolve. I think the next thing I purchase will be a FOR SALE Sign!!! Disgusted at Kia!
  • cowboy97cowboy97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Sportage that I just changed the timing belt and the check engine light came on code is the cam positioning sensor. I have read quiet a bit of post on different web sites that when they changed the cam sensor that it still idled rough and the code was still the cam sensor. Could you please tell me where the pre cat is located? I have looked on kiainfotech.com and did'nt see the location.
  • boeing4boeing4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 kia sportage check engine light has come on it sputters and takes off very rough before it picks up speed seems as though it is not getting gas have had problems with it twice not wanting to start. will take it to the dealer but want to get a feel on what is going on.
    Kinda been dealing with the same problem. I took it to the Dealer and they couldnt figure what was wrong with it on the initial Diagnostic which was $89. They wanted to run more test on it for an additional $199. In other words they were taking me to the cleaners. Take it to another shop,, not the dealer!
    had it towed to the dealers they did not see the problem as of yet but didn't hesitate to tell me that I needed an oil change wanted to tell him that was not the reason that I bought my car in but instead $31.00 and counting I have 10,000 miles on my car which by the warranty it is covered for just about everything so I'm waiting today to see what they have to say.
    dealer replaced cam sensor
    made a mistake when I said cam shaft sensor it was the crank shaft sensor so far the car is running great.
  • jhoeljhoel Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we really need someones help!
    We have been having a lot of problems to say the least about our Kia lately. We recently replaced the fuel pump and since then the car has been driving a little rough. It then fixed itself and seemed to run fine.
    Then the other day we were driving it and it just died in the middle of the street. We have checked the fuel pump, relays and other things and we believe it is something to do with power not getting to the fuel pump. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • royster2royster2 Member Posts: 1
    hi their, i own a 1999 kia sportage. it had been running verry well but then it started having a misfire. i thought it was something simple like a plug or plug lead so changed them both. no joy. then it was suggested i change the coil packs so i changed them both. again no joy. then it was suggested that i should may have a vaccume pipe problem, so they were all checked and were fine. after that i was recomended that i may have a leak at the inlet manifold, so this has also been checked. it only has 99 thousand miles on the clock.
    now the vehicle starts first turn of the key, does not over heat and when it is started, runs fine on all cylinders for about 20-30seconds and then the misfire starts.
    i really don't want to scrap this vehicle but i'm slowly thinking that may be the only option left, CAN YOU HELP ME.
  • richiegirlrichiegirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 KIA Sportage EX--I had gone out for lunch everything was fine went back 2 hrs later and the front windshield was completely broken from bottom to top. My car was sitting against a wall and nothing could have hit it and I had it checked by a glass expert they said it was a pressure break not an impact break. Has anybody else had this problem? I took it to the dealer and they was going to replace it but then decided not to so I have to meet with the KIA rep next week.
  • hfolkshfolks Member Posts: 4
    The pre cat is located with the manifold.
    I am working on a 99 kia sportage. it has poor acceration. Has anyone came across the same Problem? Presently has no codes.
    Hello I read what problems you were having and want to see if you had resolved that issue? I am having the same issue with my 1999. can't figure it out. if possible can you let me know. very much in need of HELP.

Thanks
  • nelsonlnelsonl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Kia Sporage and it been stalling when I come to a stop or in traffic.I had this problem when it warms up.Sometimes runs good but must of the time run whith the problem I just mention.I'm a veteran without job. Please help me.
    i JUST FINISHED REPAIRING MY 99 KIA SPORTAGE AND IT WAS DOING THE SAME THING. WHAT MY KIA TURN OUT TO BE. IT JUMPED TIME. BUT THE BOTTOM TIMING MARK. IS AT 11 O'CLOCK POSITION. INSTEAD OF 12 O CLOCK POSITION. HOPE THIS INFORATION HELPS
    had the same probs and after changin out tons of part, i finally figured out it was the Fuel Pump. If not then change the ingnition coils. there's 2 of them and both should be changed at the same time.
  • mgpagemgpage Member Posts: 2
    Where are the cables located? I've taken apart the dash and haven't found them. The only thing connected to the control knob is the electrical plug harness and wires.
    After changing out tons of parts, it was my fuel pump that was the problem. Well it ran great for about a week, then it started missing and stalling out. I changed both ignition coils and wires and it ran fine for about a week, then it started idling rough and dying. Now its hard to start and when it does idle, it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders. It says it's misfiring on the diagnostic machine, but have no idea what the problem is. I'm thinking maybe the timing got off or its some electrical problem. I have spent lots of money on this car and cant get it to run for more than a week before it breaks down. This car shoulda had tons of recalls for all the problems it has. Kia sportages are LEMONS!
    Here we go again after taking sportage to dealer to have the cam shaft sensor replaced (1 month exact) check engine light has returned, car is not showing any signs of difficulty but will take it in to have it checked.
  • sassypantssassypants Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used Sportage...of course the check engine light came on a couple days later. I have codes P0440 and P0128 from Auto Zone. The check engine light came on after Jiffy Lube did a routine oil change and air filter change for me. I took it back, they said no seemingly loose connections for sensors, and vacuum seemed hooked up right, but my trans fluid WAY too high so they drained some so I wouldn't blow a seal. Now my car, which was running fine before, is starting to sound transmissiony. I ALSO filled gas once with no problem, but the next time, my car wouldn't take gas. Kept shutting off the pump and gas spilled down my car. I have a hard time believing these issues aren't related. I have ideas (kinked line to the fuel tank, thermostat, gas cap (I WISH), clogged filter in the EVAP canister, etc), but any experience or expert advice would be awesome...
    Ok since ive gotten my 2000 Kia Sportage, I have nothing but issues. Now I'm having Misfire issues. I've changed both Ignition coils and wire, spark plugs and wires, fuel injectors. It still is misfiring! The most recent place I took it too told me it could be an intake manifold leak and recommended a new motor. hahaha, I think they think im stupid! It was running fine and strong before it started misfiring.

The only thing I can think of is changing ECM Computer or address the intake manifold issue.

Here is a list of parts I've replaced so far.
    Fuel pump, Fuel pump filter, Regulator, Catalytic converters, ignition coils & wires, spark plugs and wires, cam position sensor, all 4 fuel injectors, airflow sensor, exhaust manifold, valve cover gasket, oil change, and the timing has been checked.

Does anybody have a clue why it MISFIRES????

Thanks!

Very Frustrated Sporty owner
  • coreyosocoreyoso Member Posts: 1
    Keyop,

I have had a 95 sportage for 5+ years with no problems
    ...until 6 months ago it started this sputtering stalling thing and it has gotten worse, dangerous infact.

I saw one reference to changing the PCV valve, that this would fix it. So I decided to change the plugs and plugs.

The engine runs much stronger, but not misfires constantly, which I'm not sure what that is about...

Is yours a constant misfire? We checked and we get spark on all 4 plugs, so I'm thinking fuel injector, but your story scares the hell out of me!

Anyway, look at the PCV valve maybe. Good news, it costs like $5.00 Make sure it has a tight fit, mine was being pulled by the hose and stretched the fitting a bit.

Any Ideas?

Corey
    Yea I did change out the PVC valve, but that wasnt the problem. I'm taking it to another shop(and paying for my 3rd diagnostic) to find out what the heck is the problem with it misfiring. I'm thinking it maybe the computer. I'll keep ya posted folks.
  • pnaridopnarido Member Posts: 2
    I have just recently bought a 2004 kia sportage, I have noticed and observed that during driving on uphill the engine can't hold on at 3rd gear it slows down and I am forced to shift to low gear (2nd), however steeping more on its accelerator pedal only the revolution (RPM) indicator increases and the engine power does not increase. Asking for your opinion and help.
    Thanks
  • pnaridopnarido Member Posts: 2
    What is the maximum utilization of timing belts installed on kia sportage?, in terms of kilometrage? What are the possible cause of wear and tear of timing belts in kia sportage? thanks.
  • keebler1keebler1 Member Posts: 1
    So I went to replace the battery today and discovered the factory battery had no helpful info on it. No stores seem to have any info on this car's battery either. Any suggestions outside of taking it to the dealership?
  • quincysbooquincysboo Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2000 Kia Sportage and the second day my radio wasnt or clock was working I checked the fuse box inside and everything was fine then i checked the fuse box under the hood. I checked all fuses and unplugged and replugged the relay fuses started it up and my radio and clock works again could I have a bad relay how do i know which one if so..

Tracey
    Kia recommends changing the bekt after 100,000 km, and some who did not got stranded in the middle of nowhere...but others went much longer than that. I suggest it has to do with the kind of use the car goes through. IF one revs the engine to 6000 cold all the time on starts, the toll on the belt is much worse than one who run conservatively and never exceeds 4500......Mine just passes 107,000km....and I'm ordering a complete kit on ebay, that comes with gaskets, water pump, idler and tensioner. As I do not expect to run more than 4000km till next summer, I think I'll wait till then.
  • rpasbrigrpasbrig Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a site to download the maunal for a 2008 Sportage. Can anyone provide a site address?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try this:

KIA Tech-Info site with Online Shop Manuals

I don't know of a free source for owner's manuals.

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online
  • bethinbrbethinbr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I haven't posted for a long time, but now I have a couple of questions. Has anyone had to have new front brake pads and their roters turned on a 05 Sportage with about 40,000 miles on it? Also I have been hearing noises when I brake, hit a bump or turn. It sounds like maybe the shocks but I don't know. These issues have just recently come up and I wanted opinions before I took it to the dealer. I already spent $180 to replace the front brakes and turn the roters. :confuse:
  • rmeav8rrmeav8r Member Posts: 2
    My 20 y.o. son has a 2000 Sportage with the same problems which has worsened to loss of power at 60 mph and rapid decel to about 40...

I have done the coil packs, wires, plugs, fuel filter, injector cleaner, better fuel,
    valve cover gasket, oil changes, timing belt, and main belt.

I was about to replace the air flow meter/sensor, but if that was of no use...

It may be time for a coffin and a boycott...

Ditto on frustrated sportage owner !
  • rmeav8rrmeav8r Member Posts: 2
    Solved problem today.

:D It was the cats after all.

I am going to still check the fuel pressue.

But after the rear cat was cut off (it was clogged Really Bad) the
    sporty ran like a raped ape...or as much of a raped ape as it could!

Best O Luck M8s.
    God Bless America and Hell take Kia!
  • midnighttaximidnighttaxi Member Posts: 3
    I usualy change brakes and rotors myself, the 2005 Sportage has one of the the beefiest rotors in the auto. industry. At a $180 you were treated very fairly, but you should also change your rear pads as they will be as worn as the front. Run your finger over the rear rotors and if they are smooth just have the pads replaced.

You should have the bolts checked for tightness on your front pads, this could cause noises if they havent been tightened properly.
  • maxlimaxli Member Posts: 1
    it has been showing this problem for the last 12 months on and off, either not starting properly, or else stuttering while driving, recovering after a few minutes, after pressing accelarator pedal repeatedly.
    The problem continues after the following replacements/repairs:
    new lambda sondes, replacement of every single sensor, checking all contacts,
    checking fuel pressure, replacement of all relays, replacement of timer belt,
    new plugs, cleaning of all valves by supersonic treatment, replacement of air inlet device. (exhaust fumes are always within acceptable limits.)
  • krealkreal Member Posts: 1
    I hope this helps somebody save money and stress that we experienced. My 2001 Kia sat for 6 months because we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, started, ran but accelerating would cause the car to choke and loose speed, changed the front catalytic converter as directed by 3 mechanics and after a computer check (purchased through the catalyticconverterwarehouse.com - saves a ton of money), gave a complete tuneup, even took it to have the transmission checked. Yesterday the back cat arrived and we put that on and still could not make it up the hill down the road. The car revved up but lost speed and choked, wouldn't shift. While hubby was showing me that the air intake worked great I noticed that the insulation under the hood was sagging, upon closer inspection I saw a perfect imprint of the intake on this insulation. When we'd accelerate the intake was sucking the insulation over itself and choking out the air. I took a box knife cut out that area of the insulation and that car run perfectly. We went to 5 mechanics total and spent over $500 for a 5 second fix. I do like my Kia and I"m glad it's back on the road.
  • grumpyflygrumpyfly Member Posts: 2
    will try to give as much info as possible so please for give if i ramble too much.
    have been religious about keeping this vehicle well maintained. oil changes with filter, air filter, etc., at around 2500 miles. maybe a little over kill but still well worth the effort. use napa gold filters exclusively.
    has 130,000 miles. changed transmission filter at about 120,000. then at the 130 thousand, put in new radiator, hoses, waterpump, engine oil and filter. thought what the heck, for the cost to do it, i would change the trans filter and fresh fluid again. used the right fluid and filter, no problem there. but, when removing the pan, accidently knocked one of the aluminum tubes off. tapped it back in place gently and could feel it seat nicely. changed filter, put pan back on and added fluid and i did over fill it by about a quart which i know is wrong. anyway, drove it about a half mile and it started smoking which i could see comming from the bell housing area, no oder. smoke started filling inside of car but there was no oder at all.
    dropped pan again and found another loose tube comming from the tran fluid pump and re checked all the wire connections and best i could tell, everything looked and felt right this time.
    tran shifts fine through all gears (it is an automatic) but now starting from dead stop, first to second and sometimes third feels good and just a little sluggish in second to third and really sluggish from third to fourth with basically no power in the higher gears. have to let, very lite on the gas petal, it catch up to itself and acceleration is very slow. the new fluid gets darker as well.
    will i need to replace the torque converter or is there another way to solve this. couldnt feel any sensor on the bell housing and if there is one there i missed it.
    if this helps, here is the vin #: kndjb7232y5674650
  • jairajaira Member Posts: 1
    Hi, after reading all this I am still thinking of trading my car for a 97 sportage, he says the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor needs put on and he has both parts. I will be looking at it on Dec 1st. It is really nice to know about other things like the insulation. Thanks everyone for your help. I will be careful and take a mechanic now. Jaira
  • gncrcdgncrcd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 kia sportage, I just bought it 3 months ago. Since then the 4 wheel drive went, the air bag light started flashing, the engine light came on, and it started loosing power at low speeds(sputtering). I put manual hubs (streetside auto.com, $130), took it to kia dealer for diagnostic($106). They fixed the airbag lite
    and told me the timing belt needed to be changed, it was missing teeth, and that was why the engine light was on. they wanted $800 for that. I took it back. The next morning on my way to have the timing done the air bag light came on again.
    Had the timing done($700), within 10 minutes of driving the engine light came on again.
    took it back to kia, they worked on it again and told me they did not know what the problem was, but if they worked on it any further they were going to charge me. I went off on the manager, and I took the car back. kia is terrible. Auto zone read the codes(101 103)and told me it was an airflow problem,2 parts, mass air flow sensor and throtle position sensor($160). I went to the junkyard bought the parts for $35. It's been 5 days and the car is running great so far. The airbag light is not flashing anymore, so they must have fixed it the second time. Iknow this is an old car but it only has 68k miles, these cars are crap. I'm keeping it for now, invested too much money, but will look to get rid of it arter the winter.
  • hellodadhellodad Member Posts: 3
    Kia Sportage 2000 EX: When I start the car and sometimes when it is idling it will all of a sudden jump to 2000+ rpm's. About a month ago I removed and cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, the intake air control valve, throttle position sensor not knowing which part(s) was causing the problem. It worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then it started again with a check engine light lit. The error code was the O2 sensor (bank 1). I then replaced the O2 sensor and it worked fine for another two weeks. I was about 20 miles from home and the only way I could drive it was to remove the connector from the Intake Air Control. This made the idling speed almost normal but I got another "check engine" light. If anyone else has experienced this problem, please let me know what you did to solve this problem.
    Thanks, Steve
  • jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    when it gets cold and humid the alarm goes off i have checked the door sensors and they all seem ok sometimes if you lock and unlock the doors it stops neighbours are getting restles can the alarm be disabled or what thanks jim