Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Aim for $5000 off asking price. Assuming both cars are typically optioned 328i BMWs (Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Metallic Paint, Automatic)... These cars had an MSRP when new of about $40K. The '07 is 3 years old & the '08 is 2 years old. These cars are no spring chickens. Think about how much they gave the poor saps on trade in values or purchased these at a lease end auction. BMWs hold their value better than many cars. But figure they own the '07 for about $20K + the cost of the CPO warranty & maybe $22K - $23K + the CPO warranty for the '08. Let us know how it goes. good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jwishjwish Member Posts: 1
    I've got my eye on one of these loaded with premium, nav, etc. No-haggle (i.e. no negotiating?) price of $19,999. Includes a 12/12 Major Guard warranty (GM Protection Plan product). My questions are:
    1. How's the price?
    2. What should I expect in terms of reliability given the mileage? It was a 1-owner corporate car and I don't have the service records. I had it checked out by a independent BMW mechanic and he said it looked good.
    3. Are there so many of these on the market because of leases ending or is there something to be avoided about the 06's being the 1st year of the e90?

Thanks for the feedback.

Josh
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I see that certified cars go through a major inspection in order to qualify as "certified." If so, shouldn't that bring the comfort that would come from knowing the car was well-maintained and allev the need for an indep mechanic?

I'm loojking at some 2007 335i's with over 30,000 mi, so the warranties (reg and cert'd) will only be another 1-1/2 - 2 yrs.

Thanks.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    A CPO inspection/certification is only as good as the dealer that performs it. My local BMW dealer is excellent, so I've never sought an additional inspection.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2010
    I think end-of-lease is the reason so many 2006s are for sale. At least that is what my dentist told me. He just raves about the 2006 he bought last summer. I looked at a 2006 330i with 36k miles being sold by a private individual who claims he has had no problems with the car. But, he warned me about cars coming off lease that had been pretty much abused. His daughter got squelched on a off-lease BMW that turned out to have a severely damaged clutch. I guess she couldn't tell this from a test drive?
    $25,500 for a BMW certified pre-owned 2007 335i sedan with 6MT. 45k miles.

Cold weather package, sport package, premium package, moonroof, dynamic cruise control, upgraded radio.

I think all the other stuff listed (rainsensing washers, tire pressure monitoring, etc) is standard.

THank you!!!
    That sounds pretty decent.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Just make sure to get the service record for the vehicle. A lot of these have problems with HPFP failures (sometimes multiple).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks for the posts. This car is being sold at the dealership where it was sold and serviced so I'll be able to see the service records.
    The HPFP now has a 10 year/100K mile warranty. It's really strange; I know some people who have replaced several pumps while others have 2007 cars with the original pump.

• jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Do you mean BMW extends the warranty on HPFP for cars sold since 2007 because there have been so problem reported, or the 10 yr/100K mi just for the new ones (2010's)?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not so strange really---if we look at the history of these kinds of defects throughout all cars, we see a failure rate, if it were disastrous, of what...10-15%?
    Do you mean BMW extends the warranty on HPFP for cars sold since 2007 because there have been so problem reported...

Yes.

• charlie99charlie99 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 2007 CPO 3-Series (328i). My options are a manual transmission with 50K miles at $22,500. Or an automatic transmission with 22K at $26,500. I test drove the cars and had no issues, but in reading all the reviews on certain websites many of them are pretty negative. The main issue being the run flat tires. Is this that a huge deal? I don't want to purchase the car and have to replace the tires a month later or have to do it regularly.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Just switch over to regular tires; buy an M Mobility Kit or similar and you're good to go. I'd also buy the stick, but that's just me...

• overthoughtitoverthoughtit Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Considering the buyout option on my 2007 335i (premium, cold weather, sport, navigation... MSRP was $50.7k) as my lease is coming due at the end of April. Quick questions (apologies in advance for leaving out critical information/asking too broad of questions/committing forum etiquette faux pas)

1) BMW lists my buyout $31k. I'm looking to get $29k with CPO extension. Is that doable?
    2) With 45k miles on the car, it would make sense to get the CPO extension, right?
    3) Any other tips on navigating the buyout experience?

Thanks.
    I would get the CPO warranty. Has your 335i experienced the HPFP problem. Has yours been replaced? I'm thinking you can get the car for cheaper than $29K.

• derkommissar73derkommissar73 Member Posts: 13
    Hi- I've got a deposit down on a 2008 328i with the sport package and I did not realize that it came with summer tires. I live in St. Louis, which can get some snowfall. If I don't want to mess with changing tires in the winter, do I need to back out of this deal? Are there run-flat all-season tires for this car that I could pick up at some point? I love the car, but I'm not enough of an enthusiast to deal with having multiple sets of tires.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As far as I know, there are no matched sets of All-Season RFTs that you can buy in the same size as the OEM Summer RFTs, that said, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Why? Most folks with an opinion on the tires deeply dislike the RFTs, and in many-many cases they buy a "Spare Tire in a Can" kit and switch their tires to GFTs (Gets Flat Tires). By doing the switch you A) open up the option of buying a matched set of All-Season tires (which typically last twice or more as long as Summer tires), B) will improve both the ride and handling of your car, and C) save yourself a bunch of money every time you have to buy tires.

Keep in mind that many dealerships are seriously misinformed regarding the use of GFTs, misinformed to the point that they'll tell you that such a switch will void your warranty and/or that you'll need to make expensive suspension modifications. I say misinformed as a means of giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect the truth of the matter is that they are deliberately lying as a means of protecting their lucrative RFT replacement business. If your dealership feeds you such bilge and you feel in the mood to mess with them a bit, ask them to put their words in writing and to cite specific corporate BMW documentation as proof of their claims. They'll most likely decline.

As for tires themselves, were it that I was in your shoes and tire shopping, I'd be taking a hard look at the following two tire sets:
    - Continental ExtremeContact DWS (set of four for $488 from TireRack.com)
    - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (set of four for $700 from TireRack.com)

FWIW, I'm currently running a set of the Michelins and other than the fact that they're a bit noisy in the 35 to 45 mph range, I have nothing but good things to say about them, and given that I live in New Hampshire, they've seen more than their share of snow. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    In addition to Shipo's excellent suggestions, I'd consider the Pirelli PZero Nero all-season. They have worked out really well on my X3 and Mazdaspeed 3.

• adagadag Member Posts: 5
    I have an offer for a 2007 328i CPO with an option to finance $17K with 1.9% for 36 months OR 5.9% for 36 months if I choose the Extended Maintenance Plan. The delta in the two financing costs is $1000. Any thoughts on which is a better option for 2 years extension (maintenance plan or lower financing)?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    I think the MSRP on the maintenance plan is either $1395 or $1495.. I also think your calculations are correct...

If it were me, I'd take the maintenance plan and the higher rate... But, I'd also shop around, and see if my local bank or credit union could beat that 5.9% rate on a used car.. Then, re-finance the car after 60 days.... Might be able to save part of that $1000, over the life of the loan.

My thinking is: You are going to the dealer for warranty work, anyway... Sometimes it's hard to separate what is maintenance and what is repair.... If you have the maintenance plan, you won't have to worry about it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• foreveruiforeverui Member Posts: 4
    If I buy a 07 bmw from a pravite owner with 40K miles on it. I know it does not out of warranty. can I enjoy rest of warranty? Thanks for your answer.
    You'd best check with a dealer to see what warranty it has, if you want to be completely sure.
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    Thanks a lot for your fast comments. I ended up backing out of the deal, mostly because of the tires, but also because the carfax was not clean and it kept nagging at me. I also found a large (1 in.) chip out of the inside front edge of the rear passenger door and some rust on the hinge.

Turns out it was a great decision. Later that day I went to look at a 2007 CPO 328i that did not have the sport package, but it did have premium, xenon heads, heated seats, and leather. It was originally way more expensive than the 2008, but they just dropped the price that day to be only $300 more, and so I decided to trade the sport package for the CPO warranty. I also got an extra $500 for my trade, meaning that I ended up paying less for the 2007 with a clean record, and I got an exterior and interior color that I liked better. So...glad I listened to my gut.

Plus, I have to say that my experience at the BMW dealership was so much better than the used car lot (volvo dealer- they knew very little about the car) that I found the other car on.
  • mjd02mjd02 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I'm buying a CP BMW 328i Coupe with 14k miles, my maintenance warranty is valid thru 12/2010 and the extended warranty thru 12/2012.

I usually only put 6k miles on a year.

Do I need the extended maintenance warranty for $2000?

Do I need the road hazard tire warranty for $1400 for 5 years?

:confuse:
  • petesomethingpetesomething Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy a 2007 328xi CPO at 27k miles. Carfax is clean, but the dealer had a disclosure saying that the front bumper was replaced/refinished. Does this mean the car was in an accident? is it safe to buy this?.
    Cars seems fine when test drove and looks super clean.Plzz help
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    All accidents don't show up on a Carfax report. If you're concerned that it might have been more than just some bumper damage, have a good body/frame shop look it over.
    I agree. Do NOT rely on CARFAX as an absolute verification of being accident-free. However, front bumper repairs are very common on modern cars.
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    I just bought 2007 328i CPO and am shopping around for maintenance plan. I have never seen the price you mentioned. Where can I find the price you mentioned? I live in southern CA. Thanks. :)
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    No and No. Find a shop with good review http://www.bimmershops.com
    Tire warranty should only be $600 and that's questionable with the amt of you drive and your driving road condition.

Do I need the extended maintenance warranty for $2000?
    Do I need the road hazard tire warranty for $1400 for 5 years?
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    I'm interested in this 2007 328i coupe. It has a Monaco Blue Metallic exterior with Saddle Brown leather interior. 57,900 miles. Here are the extra packages and options.

Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Comfort Access System
    Heated Front Seats
    Active Cruise Control
    Metallic Paint
    Dakota Leather Seat Trim
    6-speed Steptronic Automatic Transmission

It's not CPO but the VIN check shows only one owner and its in excellent condition. Dealer is asking $23,500. How low do you think I can negotiate without offending them?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I agree with Firebird_EOU. Extended warranties in general are a rip off, IMO.

I bought a road hazard warranty with my G37 back in the fall for ~$600, but that covered wheels in addition to the tires for 5 years.
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Bought this model at the beginning of 2010 with 37K miles on it in San Diego. All options..loaded for just over $20K. Great vehicle, lot's of fun and just a blast to drive. I researched the heck out of this particular E46 model family as I don't care for the current look (personal preference). I recommend using Craigslist and other free sites and take your time. Also, I had a CarTalk and Bimmerforums mechanic check it out beforehand.

If you are willing to do your homework, have time and engage a good independent mechanic to check it out, you will almost always find what you want versus dealing with a Dealer and paying a high price. Dealers have their place, but you pay for it. Good luck.
  • vinayg1vinayg1 Member Posts: 28
    I am thinking of leasing a 2009 328i CPO. I have a few questions, which I am hoping that some knowledgable people could answer.

1. Does BMW Finance lease CPO? I read on their web-site that they do, but I would like some confirmation before I explore more into this option.
    2. Assuming they do, is the rate (i forgot the technical term) they use to calculate the payment on new leases same as on CPO?
    3. Is it possible to negotiate a zero down on the lease and have the cost built into lease payments?

Here is my thinking for Leasing a CPO instead of a new one:

I don't HAVE to drive a brand-new car.

Leasing a 2009 vehicle (with about 20K miles) for 3 years 10K miles per year should cover me fully with initial warranty. Is that correct or will I have to buy some sort of extended warranty?

They lease new ones with MSRP of 38K for about 359/month after 3500 down (cap cost reduction). This means that they are financing 34.5K. So, if I get my CPO for lets say 30K, and I do not pay any Cap cost reduction, my payments should still be less than 359/month as they are now financing only 30K.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me whether my reasoning is correct or completely flawed.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    I don't think leasing a used car is a good idea(leasing a new car isn't much better- unless it's used in your business).
    But that's just me.

Used vehicles (even CPO) generally don't have any lease support... Purchase and finance incentives... but, no lease support..

It's possible that BMW may occasionally have a deal on CPO leases, but not any that I can recall in the last 5-6 years...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter seeks to interview Southern Californians who bought a certified pre-owned car and love it. Please send your daytime contact information to [email protected] no later than Monday, July 19, 2010 if you care to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fixit12fixit12 Member Posts: 10
    Dude show up at the dealer with 20k in Cash and tell him this is the deal!
    If not walk away slowly he will run to you before you get away.

Dan
  • fixit12fixit12 Member Posts: 10
    Dude show up at the dealer with 20k in Cash and tell him this is the deal!
    If not walk away slowly he will run to you before you get away.

Dan
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I posted this under prices paid and I am reposting here just in case.

I just bought a 2007 328 Wagon with 46k and CPO for $23,000. The KBB/Edmunds TMV - trade in is $21,000/$22,000 and CPO value is $28,000/29,000. I think there were some better deals out there - lower miles, similar price - but I did not want white or black or gray, which seems to be the vast majority of SoCal Bimmers. (What's with black in SoCal?) To get a color, I paid a little extra maybe.

CPO
    Wagon
    AT
    Cold
    Premium
    Logic 7
    Dual power lumbar seats
    BMW Assist
    Xenon headlights
    Keyless ignition
    Bluetooth

Love the car!
    Looks like a good deal! I love the wagons...

So...what color did you get?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I am glad SOMEone likes wagons! I am a single guy and keep getting asked why I have a station wagon since I have no kids. 'Cause they are fast, fun, get good gas mileage and I can put my mountain bike in there,' I say. They look at me like I am some communist, cheese eating surrender monkey because I don't have a gas guzzling SUV.

The car is Platinum Bronze. I don't get the "bronze" concept; in most light situations, it looks gold. There are so few wagons and even less with those nice BMW burgundy, green, light blue and gold colors. Ve vant to look Teutonic! I also wanted beige interior as the So Cal sun really heats up black interiors when parked even part of the day at the trailhead.
  • disco99disco99 Member Posts: 74
    Hello everybody ..I'm on Long Isalnd NY,,,,
    What would be a fair price for CPO(exp 09/12--100k miles) 2006 330 XI 32k miles, NAVIGATION, HEATED SEATS, SUNROOF, XENON LIGHTS, CD CHANGER, BLUETOOTH, 7 SPEAKERS..18 " WHEELS....

How much should I pay??? The dealer wants 24k firm...Thanks in advance
    Congrats man! Wagons rule!

• bmw_gssbmw_gss Member Posts: 19
    Hi - I am a little confused on how the CPO works? My understanding is CPO in generak is 6 years/100K miles. So, if I buy a CPO 2009 car which originally had warranty till 2012 , does the CPO start from 2009 (ie date of service) or from 2012 once the original warranty expires?

Alternatively, is it a good option to buy a non CPO car and then get extended warranty once the original warranty expires?? I

Thanks.
    The 6yr/100 coverage is from the original in-service date... Of course, until the original warranty expires, you won't use it.. So, it only kicks in after 4 years of 50K miles, whichever comes first...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ok that makes sense....thanks dude!

I am looking at a 2010 loaner whose warranty ends Nov 2013. I am thinking of getting extended warranty as I plan to have the vehicle for atleast 5 years if not more. Can someone recommend what kind of warranty to go for - in terms of price, coverage etc. Is this something that BMW offers or is it something that the dealer offers? Lastly, would you advise getting the ext warranty right away or wait till the original expires in 2013 and shop for it at that point?

Thanks for your time!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    CPO is not an extended warranty...it is only offered through dealerships.

It usually has additional 'features' that are not included on an extended warranty -- I'm only familiar with the Lexus CPO...which includes the same % APR as new vehicles, road side assistance (with coverages for hotel stays), rentals, etc...a bunch of 'stuff'

Extended warranty companies can go out of business (there was a recent one which went under; can't remember the name)...whereas automobile companies can be too big to fail (GM's are still honored).

I did a CPO...probably wouldn't again. If you need to sell you car earlier (for whatever reason)...you'll be "upside down" because your purchase price was so much higher than comparable vehicles without the "warranty".

long - short story--I had starting issues, took the car to the dealer, they replaced the battery and starter button (I thought...good a free new battery). Less than a year later I had starting problems again and it turns out the 'new' battery they gave me had bad cells. Since the dealer gave me the battery I didn't have the battery warranty...and the dealer coverage period for batteries only went to 50K...i was just over that mileage...so too bad...you need to buy a battery. I went to sears to buy a better battery for $110 instead of the $180+ for bottom of the ladder, cheapo one they offered...

Although if my transmission goes out...after the power train warranty expires (which are usually pretty long)...then I may recoup my CPO costs. If this does happen, I suspect they may be another caveat that disqualifies the coverage...cynical...

I think extended warranties are more about 'feeling good' than actual coverage...I'm beginning to think i'd "feel" better with my money in my pocket :)

I'm not certain if extended warranties are transferable or reimburse if you cancel early.

What type of car? Options?
    Thanks Ivan. This is a 2010 328 XI with 6K miles - has the premium and value pacakges on it. So far got it to 33K, trying to get it down a bit more - do u think thats good enuff or there is room? Warranty ends 2013, so was not sure if I shud get the ext warranty which is what u responded to. Need to chew on what u suggested, leaning to not going for it...