Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• mpnikhilmpnikhil Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

What would be a good price for a 2007 328i with sport and premium packages? It has 25K miles on it and the factory warranty ends in April 11. The dealer is asking for $$ 22800 .

Thanks,
    mpnikhil.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited October 2010
    Good thinking. $26,500 is near the top of Galves, so that should be about what they have in it if it needs nothing. I'm guessing it is a sedan, right?
    If CPO, I don't think they'd go that low, but you never know.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    It needs NOTHING due to the fact it has just over 6K on the clock. It is a sedan, sorry, forgot to mention that. Wish I was in the market right now. I'd hop over there quickly. Thanks for your help.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

oh, ya never know. Driven hard enough (and maybe a trip to the track) can toast a set of tires pretty quick. Not to mention dings, dents, scratches, and maybe even a fender bender all have no conception of miles. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I sold a pristine car to a friend and they pretty much trashed it in 6000 miles. It can be done, but it takes talent. :cry:
  • loranzoloranzo Member Posts: 7
    Just got a 2007 CPO 328i with Premium, Xenon, & Satellite Radio for 23.5K. The car only has 17K miles on it so I thought it was a good deal. What do you guys think?
  • bobc70bobc70 Member Posts: 10
    was is a coupe or sedan, if its a coupe you got a great deal, for sedan its ok. I bought the exact same thing in coupe but it has 30K miles on it with the same package and year for the exact same price.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Given the prices those two got in posts just above mine, $22,800 might be a little high. But none of the three posts (yours and the two above) mention CPO. That adds a couple of thousand, so if your is CPO, that is a decent deal. If no CPO, sounds like you could get them down to $21. Again, my Wagon ($1000 more?) with 46k, CPO plus 3 months, all options but Nav, was $23,000. That was in SoCal, so Norcal should be similar.

What I like to do on pricing is just get a low number that I am comfortable with and stick with it. If they let you walk out, you can always go back a couple days later and agree to their lowest offer. I got this system from my Dad - a former Dodge salesman in the 40s - who had a funny but cool system. He would walk in, drive it, and pull out a signed check for a specific amount. The salesman would give the usual hubris about "I would go broke," "I won't make any profit." etc. Then, my Dad would say, "Okay but I have no more checks. Should I rip this up?" He would then hold it tantalizingly just out of the sales guy's reach. The salesman usually lunged for it.
  • loranzoloranzo Member Posts: 7
    Mine is a Sedan. I am in East Texas and looking at the deals around could not find a better deal around so I just took it.
  • trivialstrivials Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    what do you guys think/feel about getting a dealer fleet car. The '08 328i I am seeing has 30k miles on it - but is CPO and has been at the dealer all the time. Does having a CPO negate the fact that it might have been driven carelessly for 30k miles. What would be a fair price for the car ? 328i, premium package, CPO, auto transmission, NAV
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    Why would a dealer keep a car for 30K miles? Are you sure it's been at the dealer this whole time? Most BMW loaner car programs require them to sell the car within one year and 15K miles..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think he's saying the car was at the dealer for service many times during it's 30K miles in which case Id stay away from it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• trivialstrivials Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Yes, he said it was with them the entire time - part of a set of "fleet" vehicles that was driven by the manager, or a client, or some customer etc., The car is registered to the dealership - has been the entire time.
  • jamesmoojamesmoo Member Posts: 2
    Good Sunday morning, guys,

I have been shopping for used 2010 BMW 328i xDrive and narrowed down to two choices, as below -

1. 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, Le Mans Blue/Beige
    - 13,5xx miles
    - Premium, Sport, Xenon, Parking Sensor, Heated Front Seats
    - Executive Demo from BMW North America's employee in Cliffwood Lake, NJ
    - Factory Warranty & Maintenance until Dec. 2013
    - Price: $32,750

2. 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, Le Mans Blue/Saddle Brown
    - 8,5xx miles
    - Premium, Cold Weather, 17" Premium Wheels, NO XENON
    - Personal Vehicle owned by a lady for about one year before she traded it in for a Z4
    - Factory Warranty & Maintenance until Oct. 2013
    - Price: $31,500

Both cars are in flawless condition inside out.

As for the first car, the Sport Package is attractive, but since it doesn't do anything to the xDrive's suspension, the only thing I love is the sport seats. Parking sensor is useless and somewhat annoying to me. Xenon headlight is great, love it. However, the interior color is too bright for me, the high contrast between light beige and black/grey somewhat bothers me.

As for the second car, the interior color is calming, love it. Cold weather package is a plus. 17" wheels do make this car stand up to the other car in term of look even without the sport package. During a test drive I noticed that this car drives more peppy, don't know if it's just me feeling more comfortable in this interior or the engine is better tuned or in better shape. However, the only thing I hate about this car is that it doesn't have Xenon headhlights, I'm wondering how much does it cost to isntall OEM Xenon and if it's worth it?

Thanks guys for your thoughts.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    13,500 miles is USED in NJ or NY. Get the cheaper car.
  • jamesmoojamesmoo Member Posts: 2
    Are both these cars stick or steptronic (automatic)?

The beige interior (sand) is a killer for me because it is just very hard to keep clean. Top that with LeMans Blue and you better know a good detail shop or have a house account with Griots Garage.

The first car has more going for it - sport seats & xenons. As far as I know, it would be expensive to retrofit the Xenon lights.

Are these the asking prices or negotiated prices?

Don't feel pressured to pull the trigger on either of these. 328i Xdrives are a dime a dozen and yours will pop up soon enough.

• edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    That brown interior is pretty cool.

The beige interior is not that hard to clean because BMW leather is pretty tough. I have 50k now on my 328iT and the beige leather is still in good shape. The carpets are beat though. They can be cleaned but black or brown would show the dirt less - just like in any car.

Xenons and adaptive lights are fantastic.

And yes, bargain those guys down - you could get $5000 off what they ask. I got $4000 off a $27,000 car.
  • jvb911jvb911 Member Posts: 1
    Hi... I'm new to this site and have a general question... I'm thinking about buying a 2004 330cci... do these cars have many 'inherent' issues I should be aware of? I'd like to go into owning it somewhat knowledgeable about what to expect... Thanks
  • exxxxesexxxxes Member Posts: 5
    First of all how are you guys?,the reason im here is cause i am planning on buying a used bmw 3series sedan. and well i actually found one, but im a little scared cause i think the deal is too good to be true i would like some input plz help!!!!

Here's the link.http://www.autotrader.com/dealer/ddetail.jsp?dealer_id=52685080
    edited November 2010
    yes, the particular one you are considering would be ever so helpful. However, just for fun, I scanned through and checked the trade-in value of about 5 or 6 of them and NONE are "good deals."

Lowest markup I found was $3500. Some are marked up more than $5k over wholesale!!

And, lastly, the dealer steps on one of my personal pet peeves by stating, for example on the '06 red 3er, that it has "all options." Just by looking at the pics, I know it doesn't have the sport pack or Nav.

Convertible or coupe?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    2002 325iX with 75000 miles.
    All the Carfax info is good...
    No accidents, no Rental history,
    two owner car...
    What problems could I be looking at before the 100k mark?
    I have heard about a rear bushings issue?
    The brakes always scare me... terribly expensive???
    This would be my retirement 'toy' but I do not want to go broke...
    Any suggestions of what to look out for....
    thanks. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    What problems could I be looking at before the 100k mark?
    I have heard about a rear bushings issue?
    The brakes always scare me... terribly expensive???
    This would be my retirement 'toy' but I do not want to go broke...
    Any suggestions of what to look out for....
    thanks.

The E46 3 Series has proven to be fairly reliable. The engine really doesn't have any weak points. If it's a slushbox you might want to ask if the transmission has ever been replaced and/or had the ATF changed. I'm always concerned about a car's service history, since BMW designs its cars and bikes with the assumption that they will be maintained by the book. This means changing the DOT 4 brake fluid every two years and changing the coolant(BMW brand ONLY) every three to four years. You really need to take the car to a BMW tech and have him/her perform a thorough inspection.
    As or the specifics of your car, at 60K-100K you may be looking at a water pump and thermostat. I'd replace them -along with the radiator- at 100K as a precaution.
    And yes, there are various suspension bushings that can go south. Make sure all the power windows work, the regulators can be problematic.
    Brakes aren't all that expensive- OEM equivalent pads and rotors for all four wheels run less than $390. Find a good dealer or indie BMW tech and join the BMW Car Club- most shops offer a 10%-20% discount on parts and/or labor.
    But above all, have it inspected by a good tech who knows BMWs. That is the best way to avoid winding up with a dog.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bmw4barbbmw4barb Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase today a 97 with only 50,000 original miles and it can be verified, sound like an amazing car. Only bummer its automatic with the sport package. What would you say its worth and is it really worth 2k more than the ones out there with 30k more miles?
    At that price point, the miles don't add a whole lot. About a grand more than one with 100k. Even if perfect and all maintenance up to date, trade value is in the $5k zip code. If this is private party, I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $6500 for it.

This could also vary by where you live. If you live where it is summertime year round, convertibles probably command more of a premium than here in the northeast.

And if it has the original radiator in there, you're gonna want to pull that out first thing, and replace it, along with the water pump These radiator necks are notorious for blowing up in your face. (been there, done that).

Low miles isn't always a good thing, Age also ravages rubber parts, belts, hoses, seals, etc.
  • birchhillbirchhill Member Posts: 4
    Looking for an AWD 3 series with a manual transmission. What will I have to pay to get one with a CPO warranty? I am in the NY Tri-state area.
    Thanks!
    Wow... there are more of them than I thought...

46 units... 2008-2010, 328xi with manual transmission in the whole country..

'08s are asking from mid to high $20Ks...

I like the '09 and up in the sedan, because they face-lifted the front end, and got rid of the eyebrows...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What is realistic pricing? I would love to get one, but I am not sure it is in my budget. Looking at cars in the $15k range. Would be willing to stretch to get what I want with a warranty, but realistically cannot go over $20k.
    Thanks
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I think the tail lights were a huge mprovement for the 09 sedan.

birchhill, I think under $20K is realistic.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Wow... there are more of them than I thought...

It's probably a sign of the times (may want to check out the thread on "any future for the manual transmission"), but even for so-called driving machines such as BMWs, you are seeing fewer and fewer manual tranny cars out there.

When I was looking for a new/used vehicle last year, I visited the nearby BMW dealership to see what they had in the line of previously owned 5-spd manual 3 series vehicles. There were upwards of 30+ vehicles on the lot, but no manuals.

Guess it's just too hard to row the gearshift and text :P .
    It's my guess that you won't find any CPO BMWs for $20K or less...

'06 325i (the newer E90 body style) are starting to drop into the mid-teens, and even an '06 330i sedan (w/255 hp) can be found under $20K.. but, not with remaining warranty, unless it is a previously CPOed model that might have a year left...

'05 E46 models should be plentiful in your price range.... but, again... no warranty..

You might find a higher mileage, '07 328xi that will drop down to $20K.. no warranty...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

There are several CPO's in my area that are AWD and have manual transmissions. They are 07s and 08s. The mileage is 35k-40k. The price range is from $22k-$25k. Is the sticker price what they expect? If not, how much should I look to take off their asking price?
    Thanks!
  • arctic56arctic56 Member Posts: 17
    I special ordered and leased a 2007 328xi for 39 months back in August of 2007. Great car and very satisfied with the car. Returned it as scheduled on November 30th, 2010. Residual was $26K and decided not to buy the car. December and half of January has now gone by and my auto needs have changed. My previous car was COP'd and has been on the dealers lot since early December. When I inquired about buying it back (current price $25,996) I was told that BMW finance has a policy that if a previous owner wants to buy their car back after CPO, there is a $1,600 premium up charge to do so........yea I know.

I had no plans to ever come back to this car when I turned it in, but now have a need for this type of car and what better car to buy than the one I had and took care of for 39 months. Well I raised hell with the dealer and they supposedly went to the zone office for authorization to negotiate with me like any other buyer. They passed the dealer on to BMW finance and they supposedly said policy stays in force. I am miffed because any guy off the street could go in and negotiate their best deal, but I have been harnessed with the penalty. Needless to say I told them to go pound sand and the dealer says that they will be eating the $1600 along with the $3,300 COP charges, but they have only been willing to take $200 bucks off of the price (which in Illinois they are allowed to charge a $150 doc fee which is profit for the dealership, so they really haven't taken anything off of the price). Does this sound legal to you guys? It has been almost a month and half since I turned it in, so it is clear that I didn't PLAN to do pull this in order to get new tires, COP etc. Keep in mind that this is the car I want, but am trying to figure out just how far to push it before I either buy it or walk. Comments appreciated.
    Sounds fishy to me. A buyer is a buyer. That would be like Walmart charging me $10.00 for a shirt, and then charging you $11.50 for the same shirt.

Why don't you try your local office of the Attorney General see if they have any thought. Of course, the car may be gone by the time you get an answer.
    I thought I might place a call to BMW finance to see if this policy really exists. If so, I would like to see where it is provided to the general public. As crazy as it sounds, I do kinda see the point. They could be taken advantage by someone returning their car, it gets $$ of CPO and then turn right around with a day or two and buy it back. This is not the case with me, so what is an appropriate time limit to wait? This dealership has an excellent reputation, but this just really rubs me the wrong way. If it weren't for having a great history with this car I would have walked a week ago. It has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
    We turned in our '07 X3 at the end of July. BMWFS quoted the buyout of $26K from the contract if I wanted to buy the car from them. The dealer told me they'll sell me the car for $21,500 as a non-CPO BMW (just a regular used BMW) which seemed like a great deal, except they wanted $3000 to make the car CPO which I was not going for.

If you are really looking for a CPO 328xi, there are tons of them out there. You just might not be able to buy "yours."

Good luck & keep us posted.

I've never heard of the dealer charging a returning lease customer $1600 more than the CPO cost just because.

Thanks for your comments. My residual was also $26K, but as mentioned at the time, I had no need for a sedan of any kind. My dealer didn't make me an offer because I had only used 28K of my 32K allowance and the car is a little different from others out there. I added the sport package but did the non-leather sport seats instead of the Premium package. They wear like iron and look and feel great. I also added xenon headlights that are exceptional. There are at least five BMW dealerships within one hour of where I live and none of them are equipped the way I want and very few are Black on Beige. Not a Silver guy. I plan on bringing this thing to a head tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.
    The asking price is $25,996 and the current offer is $25,800. Clearly not near good enough. They claim to have $3300 in CPO costs (new tires) and a door ding repair. So, how low can I realistically go on price. I am not buying the $1600 story, so take it from there and let me know what you would do and why.
    Seems like you could pick up a nice 2007 328ix for around $22K private party. I think they're charging Spring 2010 prices in Jan 2011, seems like.
    It's true... BMWFS has a "loyalty adder" (oxymoronic, I know) if you turn in your off-lease car, then want to buy it from the dealer. Though, last I heard, it was $1500.

The problem was... so many BMWs come to lease-end with values that are less than the contract residual. Lessees were finding that their dealers could buy the car from BMW at actual value, CPO them, add profit, and still sell them to the lessee for residual or less. Of course, BMWFS does best when the lessee buys the car from them at residual. Cars that have to be wholesaled below residual is a money loser.

The "loyalty adder" is their way of turning that around. Since it's their car, the only obligation to the lessee is to offer them the car at the residual price. Since they have a relationship with the dealer, they can set the terms under which they will sell them the off-lease vehicle.

Does it seem fair? Not at all... But, I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

I'm not really up on the value of the car, or what it might be worth to you... but, your dealer is being straight with you about the extra money.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wperduewperdue Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to this forum, I feel much more informed. I have a specific question about a "no haggle" offer on a 2007 328xi. A local dealership has this car with 16,784 miles. It is equipped with the sport, premium, and cold weather packages and the Logic7 stereo. They are asking 25,990 which has come down from 27,990 since October of last year. This is an off-lease vehicle which appears to be in great shape and has the balance of the warranty/no-charge maintenance until 7/11.

Does this appear to be a good deal and, if so, why has it sat around for 4 months on the lot (granted at a higher price)? The only fees will be $249 in doc and title transfer fees. Should I be negotiating on this at the "no haggle" price? I am sure to get shafted on my trade-in regardless.

Thanks.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    Seems like a decent price, but I'm sure it's still negotiable if the car has been on the lot for 4 months. It's worth a try I would think.

Yes, you will get shafted on your trade-in. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a shot to see if you can get less shafted trading in through AutoTrader.
  • wperduewperdue Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. I had not even thought of autotrader. I just submitted my details, so we will see if I am offered anything more than the giant jar of Vaseline I was offered at the dealership.
    I have done nothing at this point with the 2007 328xi that the dealer wants to charge me a $1600 premium because I want to buy it back. In the meantime I have found an '08, same colors with 9,100 miles, asking price is $29,998. The dealer sent me the paper work on the car and the original owner lessee owners name was still on the paperwork. With a little detective work I was able to speak with the owner and ask him about the car. No problems, inner city location reason for low mileage. He told me that the residual value was $27,100 but declined to buy it because he didn't need the car. So, how much can I reasonably expect to buy the car for. I am in the Chicago area.
    Thanks.
    As crazy as it sounds, I do kinda see the point. They could be taken advantage by someone returning their car, it gets $$ of CPO and then turn right around with a day or two and buy it back

Well then that says to me they have a flawed business model in how they do their leases and calculate residual value of the car when it is turned back in. The dealer should not be able to make up for that problem by, in essence, creating two classes of buyers.
    srs 49, As I had mentioned earlier, I agree with your assessment. It is obvious that people did take advantage at some point. But at what timeframe should this be a wash? The ultimate selling price to another buyer will most likely be in the same ball park, if not less. So if it is the principle of not being taken advantage of versus the economics, the two lines should meet at some point. In my case it is now going on two months since the end of lease. Seems like we should be reaching that conversion point very soon.