Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The lund interceptor installs with 5 screws in holes existing in your hood, thus no drilling and definitely no spacers to ruin your hood paint. It also does not cause the windshield to flutter. So it comes down to easy install and no problems after the install...and it looks pretty good too.

Dean
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    the quick response. 87Lion - What vehicle does "Papa Joe" drive? (Paterno)
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Somewhere several weeks back I saw where you had posted a note about a squeaking noise you had fixed in your dash - something about a vent duct rubbing somewhere whenever you touched the brake pedal. Mine has the same noise, and while I had it in to the dealer to check out a few other bumps and rattles I thought I'd get this one fixed too.

I seem to recall you even said this dash squeak was covered under a TSB, but now I can't find your post. If you still have the TSB number and more info on the exact cause and fix, I'd appreciate your passing it on for me again.
  • denn777denn777 Member Posts: 52
    Three weeks ago my dealer told me the same thing about the two tone paint. I have been trying to order for awhile. The deal is made - its just trying to get the truck I want.
    Obviously GM does not want customers ordering trucks - they want them purchased off the lot.
    Denny
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Denny,
    You might be onto something there. When I was at the dealers, there was probably 15 2000 Silverados on the lot (1500's, 2500's, ext cab, reg cab, 2wd, 4wd, etc.) I'll try to wait a month, but then I'll probably order the white, and when it comes in have the local reputable paint shop that the dealer uses paint pewter on the lower half. I would still like to see it come from the factory as a two-tone though.

Can't imagine both the Canadian and US Silverado truck assembly plants not being able to do two-tone.

I've been waiting since July 1998 to order this truck. Another month won't kill me I guess.

-David
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    well boys my 2001 silverado finally came in. i ordered a 2000 back in early april and it never got accepted, so i automatically got kicked to a 2001. i called the dealer today to check on a build week/status. my salesman that i originally ordered through does not work their since last week(i'm thinkin great luck). so i talked to another salesman and he said coincidence you called, your truck just came of the delivery truck and i was just checkin it out. i pick it up thurs. i got a 2001 LT in carmine red with the new medium neutral, on the order invoice it says tan. i also got Z82, locker 3.73, Z71, and P265 WOL and engine block heater. the truck price was negotiated for a 2000, which was $500 over invoice. for the 2001 i paid $75 dollars more, which was the difference between the two MSRP's from each year. can't wait to get it. WOOOOHOOO

pat
    oh ya i forgot to mention i am only 33 and i guess according to ryan i am now old, since i got carmine red.

pat
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Congrats on the new truck Pat! I guess from your color choice you are becoming responsible while I on the other hand, got Indigo Blue/Pewter because I am 42 and reliving my miss spent youth!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The spirit Dallas. Now if you get the flares (please see my other topic) you will be oh so young again haha. Gotta give my other gig a plug.

Hey congrats pat. Did you see the truck yet? Can you please verify the rear door handles for me? If ytou have them for some odd reason but i doubt any truck will. RED no you cant pay him to say he has those door handles

Ryan
    Ryan i have not seen the door handles yet(or the truck) but i will let u know on thursday, when i pick up the beast.
    pat
    p.s. RED is not paying me yet
    by the way i live in san antonio, and ordered from a hill country dealer. hey dallas, silly question, but are u from dallas?
    David, I just called my salesman late today. He had told me they ordered the truck last Tuesday (7/11) (a Z71 black/pewter), but wouldn't know until this Tuesday (7/18)if it had been accepted.
    He told me today it had been accepted and would have a build date the week of 8/14.
    I had originally ordered the 2001 two tone from a smaller dealer and they just couldn't get it for one reason or another. I went to a bigger dealer and they seemed to get it ordered quickly. I don't have it yet and only time will tell...
    I am like you in that I placed a deposit in 11/99 for a 2000 four door and this small dealer just couldn't one. I finally decided I wasn't going to take the last 2000 to roll off the line and said I would just wait and order a 2001... then they couldn't order the two tone yet.
    Anyway I supposedly now have the 2001 two tone ordered with a build date. I'm to the point I will believe it when I see it.
    Denny
    Boy - your story seems chills up my spine. It is probably a one in a thousand but geeze why don't they get their act together. Have you ever thought of just suing them. I know that would be a hassle but I don't think you could lose and it would be bad publicity for them.
    It sure doesn't seem to me that GM is too customer oriented.
    Denny
  • majrivermajriver Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2001 1500LS ext cab Z71 on order (since 12 May) and have a build week of 31 Jul. Couple of questions on aftermarket products.

Because the wife is only 5'2" I want to get a set of running boards/nerf bars. The dealer showed me a truck with Aerotech fiberglass running boards that looked really nice and they extend from the front wheel well to the rear and would be painted to match the truck (old guy color).

Also want to get a bug deflector-ND is overrun by them... what's wrong with the GM product?

Mud flaps??? If I'm paying $28K+ for a truck I want mud flaps more to keep the rocks off the paint than anything.

Looking at getting the GM (Pendaliner) under the rail bed liner. Thought about a Line-X (they look great) but think the drop in will take the abuse better.

Lastly I'm looking at a Raider Nomad II Cap but have searched the web and haven't seen much written about them. Comments?
  • tdriggertdrigger Member Posts: 9
    Thanks fo the responses.

RYAN.....I have an AUTOTRAC but thought last winter while in 4WD that the message light indicator illuminated "4WD". It doesn't light in 4HI or 4LO and think it should. Does everyone elses light or not....please let me know if you could.

MARK.....My truck has 16,500 and yes I followed the break-in procedures. I'll give your advice a try next time around and let you know but I'm not gonna wait too long to let my service department know my symptoms. Don't want any drama with the service personnel! I'm not one for patientence...especially with a $30,000 truck with 16,500 miles on it! Let Chevrolet, stand behind "LIKE A ROCK"!

Tom
    I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Just go by that handle.

Ryan, I'll go with some flares when I put on some aftermarket wheels and tires. Have to go with pewter, must be my responsible corporate side showing.

Jerry
    Next time you guys and gals are in a magazine place check out the latest Truckin mag. Story on a Vette fanatic who modified his regular cab Silverado with Vette style body mods.
    Looks cool.

Jerry
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Congrats on the truck...don't worry about carmine...I'm 33 also and we both know it's the best color out there.

- Tim
  • red2kstepsidered2kstepside Member Posts: 1
    I have a set of Weld 17" KC Stars. You can view them at this link http://www.weldracing.com/KCStar.html They are for the newer GM 1/2 tons. The fronts are 8" wide and the rears are 9 1/2" wide. Never mounted new in the box. Paid $1200 will sell for $950. Any questions please e-mail me at mikestrucks@home.com I live in the Kansas City area. I am also setting up a PayPal account in order to accept MC and VISA.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    With Autotrac the 4wd dash light does not illuminate. Only the small lights on the buttons as Ryan said.
    Best deal on Catch All mats

http://www.truckautoaccessories.com/rd/

For airbags there are two compaines

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/home.htm
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/

and the best price for Air Lift is from

http://www.jegs.com/

Air bags are meant to raise the rear end when hauling heavy loads, not really to stabilize it. It sounds like you need a set of Bilstein shocks.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.html
  • fastfoodmanfastfoodman Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 1999 Silverado last year and I hated it. Constand brake, transmission, engine, problems for a new truck! It failed to pull my boat also! The truck was low of its toughness factor I want my trucks long lasting not short lasting! Anywa, I was forced to seel it and buy a Toyota Tacoma. Best truck I have ever owned. Pulls my boat. Hauls my dog. Go off and on road. I love my truck and chevy you stink!
    I don't have the clunk over bumps you described but I do have a rear end chirp on quick acceleration from a stop (no, not burning rubber). I've read so many noise complaints about the rear springs (mostly 1500) that I'm not surprised by yours. One person said the dealer put rubber "condoms" over the ends of the spring and it stopped the noise. Others dealers just used grease or even replaced the springs.

I have a 2000 2500 and haven't heard any power steering noise like you describe. Maybe I'm lucky? Or maybe it's too soon, I have 9k miles. How many do you have?
    I've seen at least one person here has put 285 tires on the stock 6.5" rims (2500). I would like to do this but I suspect it's beyond the "recommended" rim size. Do you have first-hand knowledge?
    sorry no first hand knowledge. I myself run 275 which was ok'd by tire company for the rims...not sure on the 285's
    I don't know if you are for real or not, your post doesn't inspire much confidence. But it does seem that GM put out some pretty crappy 99's as Clay's recent message details. I have a 2000 and am very happy with it, as almost all the participants of this topic are. I'm so glad you're happy with your little Tacoma, now you can go contribute on that topic.
    ignore the fastfoodman. He has posted in buick, chrysler, and who know where else. He is just crusin and leaving sh*t where ever he stops..

Dean
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    That fastfoodman seems credible to me. Everyone knows the tacoma has more tow than Silverado
    His dream car is a toyota avalon! Delivering pizza in style, for sure.

Jerry
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Avalon, a book on how to write sentences and spell words correctly.
    what a joke you are man. Let's here in detail these made up problems you had on your Silverado you bought in your mind.

- Tim
  • tdriggertdrigger Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the confirmation on the light....I must have been so excited this winter driving in the 20" of snow that I dreamt the dash light was illuminated. Thanks a lot!

Tom
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I'm confused.

I have a Carmine Red 2500 4x4 with Satin Black fender flares.

Do the fender flares make me
    young and cool,
    Or does the Carmine Red make me
    just an old fool?

Mike L
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    It evens you out. I NEVER SAID THE CARMINE made someone UNCOOL.

Ryan
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    thanks for the reminder about the spring problems on the 1500's. It sure sounds like a spring or shackle clunk to me. I've got 6600 miles on my 2500.
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
  • swolfe3swolfe3 Member Posts: 17
    OK. I seem to remember that someone had problems with their radio. Well I've got problems with mine. When my lights come on the radio display goes off. So, I made an appointment to have it fixed and have the PCM reflashed for the bigger tires and they tell me that they need to take out the bad radio get some numbers off of it and then put it back in and order another radio. Does this sound on the up and up to those that have problems with their radio? Seems like a waste of time. They should be able to order one ahead of time and have it ready for when I arrive. What do I know though. Oh, I have to say it is a GMC and not a Silverado. Thought I'd post it here as not much going on over on the GMC Sierra board. Don't know if that makes a difference in how things are handled or not.

Scott
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    My radio display did the same thing however it was because someone turned the dash light dimmer to the lowest setting. This dial also dims the radio display too. As soon as the lights came on, the radio and dash lights went out too. It took a moment but after adjusting the dash light dimmer everything was just dandy.
    Denny,
    Congrats!
    Did you actually get an order # yet for your Z71 Blk/Ptr truck? Until you actually get an order # I believe there still is a chance your order can be rejected. Please let me so, I can decide soon on whether I need to change dealers or not.

-David
    That should read:
    Please let me know, so I can......

-David
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Where in ND are you from? I grew up in Mandan.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Have you noticed that since you started giving ole CW the gears on those SUV topics, he's been rather silent lately? Good job.
    thanks. It was beginning to seem like he was the host of the topic. I had congratulated him on a post where he stated that he ordered a Helm's manual and he emailed me to ask why. I told him that more of the new Yukon owners should cause they have a lot of questions being first time SUV buyers and that the manuals would answer all of their anal questions. I hope I didn't kill topic #2862 cause it seems awful quiet. I think GM went overkill on the lights of the new Escalade. When I first saw it, I had a double take...just couldn't believe it. Oops, getting off topic. Sorry about that people. BTW, it was Ryan that incorrectly posted on the colors of the 2000 Tahoe Z71.... ;)

Dean
    My 99 came with the GM sliding rear window. The window was one that I could open with a coathanger in 5 seconds.

When I ordered my 00, no more sliding windows. I had a C. R. Laurence window installed for $200. This window has a solid metal frame and you will not be able to get a piece of wire into it to open the latch. I like it much better than the GM window.

I'll bet the cost of removing two windows and exchanging them will be very close to the cost of a new slider installed. And then you have a nice solid window as a spare, just in case. Just like I do.

Mike L
  • vortec53litervortec53liter Member Posts: 1
    In order to simplify and aid waxing my '00 Silverado, I have removed the 1500, Silverado and Chevrolet, LT emblems using the fishing line method. Next I am going to remove the trim on the doors, front and extended cab, and on the bed as well as the Z71 stickers. Then, I was thinking about removing the tail gate top cap, the top cover on the front and rear bumpers and even the black plastic from the grill area. Perhaps also the black finger nail guards on the door handles. This is a white truck with the black trim. Question. Has anyone already done any of the above and if so how does the fully customized trunk look?

Think of the money GM could save if they offered a truly custom truck as was done in the distant past.
    Check the GM preview website:

http://www.gmfleet.com/na/us/productpreview/truck/index.htm

They don't have all the specs of the 8600 and 9200lb 2500's, but the one's they have are the same for both trucks (except the GVWR)

Mike L
    If you pull the covers off the rear bumper, I don't think you'll be happy with the appearance. The bumper is unfinished under the plastic covers.

Mike L
    I had an aftermarket slider in the last truck as well..it was a solid metal frmaed window...that was one slinding window with a heavy metal latch...I never did like those duel wimpy things with a rubber or plastic latch. If you want a slider...get a good aftermarket one...or a power slider in an ext.cab.

If you want to remove the rear tailgate cap...do it soon before the vibration leaves too much of a scuff on the paint.

I feel taking all that off will look worse than you think...especially the bumper covers. They may not be finished or worse have some kind of goofy holes?

Good luck
    - Tim
    No need to worry about breaking into a 2001 Silverado thru the sliding rear window.......they are not offered on them.

Today I'm checking around with some other different Chevrolet dealers to see if they are having any luck in ordering a 2001 Silverado LS ext-cab Z71 with two-tone paint. I still can't believe my order got rejected because of the two-tone paint.

I've also sent an email to Chevrolet.com asking them how this could happen.

-David
    Most, if not all the factory sliders I've seen had plastic latches and of course were easy to get into. The last aftermarket slider I bought was aluminum with a metal latch which would delay entry by the bad folks by about 30 seconds or so.

Mike, is the C.R. Laurence Window the unit that completely slides down into the cab? That would be cool.

Jerry
This discussion has been closed.