Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..That air shipping kills ya every time!

Perhaps since the Tundra is so darn bad..maybe it could deliver it att he ground rate but just go so fast over the water..that it wouldn't sink?

LOL

Ryan...you wanna donate the Tundra?

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    If i had one id be happy to

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I just couldn't resist it...
    I just couldn't resist it...

Sorry Ryan, I just dropped an egg on your pal CWMartin over in topic #2799 post #359...I said I would no longer post there but I just couldn't resist it... LOL

It makes paying the $10 air freight not as painful....

Dean
    I agree with you about the tahoe yuppy thing. Went to my GF's softball game last night and this guy had a yukon XL oh my god all he did was brag and try and show off and talk about how much it . Guess what he was an older guy in his 50's and guess what color he had CARMINE haha.

Hopefully today i get my tail light guards cant wait to put em on (YES TIM i am installing them)

Ryan
    Hes not my friend.

Ryan
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    No contest. 303 wins hands down. ArmorAll is good for ???? Hmmmm, must be good for something. Oh, I used it to spray on the frame and hide the dirt that builds up in the wax coating.

http://303-products.com/

They have several other products. I use the Shower Shield on the exterior of my pop up camper and dirt doesn't stick like it used to.

Highly Reccomended

Mike L
    post #420- I caught a glimpse of your UH-OH and then a scribble by meredith. what gives? certainly not a post on a Yukon? Hmm...better get back to talking about running boards.

Tim
    prior to picking out the boards that you have installed, were there any others that you looked at and thought were pretty good?

Dean
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    got me worried now. My 96 Silverado could handle 2000-2200 lbs easily. 2200 lbs of gravel would make in just about level, maybe a touch lower in back. From what I read here, my 2K will not handle near that much weight. Hmmm. My 96 with 5.7 Vortec (330lb/ft torque), recirculating ball steering and only 48,000 miles is sounding better all the time. My dealer informed me that the parts for the "vibration Kit" have arrived, but they can't get me in until a week from today. Since it will be the first truck they install the "kit" on (oh joy), the service manager asked if I would bring it in a week from Monday. I sure am glad my salesman provides me with a loaner, cause I might have it for a while. On the positive side, I am very satisfied with the Edelbrock shocks/VelvetRide Shackles combo. The ride is smoother, more controled and not near as "bouncy" on the highway expansion joints, etc.
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Years ago, I had heard that Armor All is water soluble (disolves, washes away with water). Here in Seattle, that ain't a good thing. I was told to use, I think the name was Clear Magic. It was not supposed to be water soluble. Funny thing, when I went to sell my car in April, I used the last of it.
    I had read somewhere that a person who installed the velvetride had problems fitting the shackles and that he had to modify them in order for them to fit. Any problems with installing yours?

Dean
    This was a topic a few months ago. Someone had put 1" spacers on the rear wheels to get the track the same as the front.

Can anyone point me to the Topic/Message #.

Thanks,

Mike L
    I Said UH OH sorry guys to start a thing about armor all. Then i said i use armor all on all the ext things (plastic) i said my bedrail caps and tail gate guard when it rains leaves run marks of armor all down the side i asked if the 303 did that too???

I apologized to red for starting the armor all thing. i didnt say anything bad. WHATS WITH THIS??? This is getting out of hand now. I said nothing bad at all i even asked about the 303 protectant for some more detail. I am very disappointed merideth. I wont even ask you to explain since TIM did and he got a "LAME" answer.

Ryan
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Leave ya alone for a few hundred posts and ya fall apart!!

Clunking, better replace the trannie fluid with the "blue goo" from Chevrolet now!! Most dealers tell me it's hard to get and on back order. Place your order now !!!!!!
    It doesnt feel like a clunk

I didnt fall apart yet (yet is the key word)

Ryan

Nice to hear from you again
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    Clearing garage and found full bottles of K&N cleaner and oil. Has anyone install a K&N in their 2000 Silverado 4.8 and felt it offered any benefit. Product was left over from my suburban
    along with the filter, Sub had a 360 deg open
    element, so different from new 4.8.
    more noise coming from the front end...other than that...no...but not 4.8...5.3
    2200 is fine for a 1/2 ton. Now 3500 is 3/4 ton territory..

Dean,

I started out with nerf bars as an idea..(for about 1 minute)..then wanted unique boards...I did see some wierdos...but can't remember what they were...then dave40 turned me onto Putco skins..and I found the boards....look at the Dakota picture

http://www.putco.com/
    ...running boards/pipeline..
    ...it shows the old style the curved in the front and rear as well as the rear boards...looks better...(they said could make a special set)..but I figured it would offer less step space...so went with what you see now...

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/00lt3.jpg

Putco had some other wierd ones a while back...kinda like a bent up nerf bar...they were cool as well...

just do searches for nerf bars and running boards and after a few hours of surfing...you will see what you like.....

Nobody else has had the same boards as me around here.....I like it that way

..Don't wanna know how much shipping to the islands would be!...those boards are HEAVY

- Tim
    I don't see Chevrolet anywhere in the JD Powers service survey, http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000712/16/jd-power-service , but wait, "Lexus has taken the top honors 9 of the last 10 years"! I guess you were just blowing hot air a few hundred posts ago.

babbler, always watching ya.....
    Blue how can u compare chevy to lexus???

Ryan
    rwagoner is the one who made the bold statement that Chevrolet service was as good as or better than Lexus. Just making sure he has facts.
    I was just on a site with some tahoe and burb pics. They had a suburban (2000) LT in 2 tone. It said two tone LT's only available in canada. HMMM Tim maybe u can go to canada and get your next truck??? Just a suggestion thought you might like to know.

Ryan
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks much for the return email, bluebeast. I'll probably try the install next month.

Jerry
    When I think back noise was probably
    why the filter was removed from my Sub and
    Kit placed in corner. Guess would be money
    ahead to place stuff in trash. A new K&N
    would probably be 50 bucks or more.
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    I've seen a few posts in the past from some of you guys you installing Velvet-Ride shackles and/or Edelbrock IAS shocks on your 2500's. I'd like to try something on mine to smooth out the ride a little bit when empty.

Which of the 2 seems to provide the best results? Or should I be thinking about installing both?
    I had picked up a couple of things from Putco, like the s/s skins without pocket holes and the s/s tailgate guard...good thing too, cause I've dropped a few things where the skins are now. Plus needed the skins to keep water out with Pace Edwards rolltop. Speaking of freight, I had just received a small pressure washer from Northern Tools weighed 110 lbs. Saw this UPS lady carrying this box up our driveway and when I signed for it noticed a $499 pressure washer cost $150 to ship...oh, and this UPS lady was carrying the 110 lbs. box like it was empty so when I tried to pick it up...well you could have made a movie on that one...LOL Guess I'll ask Putco for a freight estimate first.

750hill
    some people look at the KnN as an investment in the long run since it will be the last one you buy for your truck. Another filter which increases HP and looks like it would work better than a KnN is the one made by AMSOIL. I left a link in case you're interested. Figured the people who make the best oil, may know what they are doing in terms of oil and air filters...

http://amsoil2.cpinternet.com/scripts/runisa.dll?Amsoil

wight1
    If it were me, I would consider doing both...

Dean
    just tried using the search feature for Amsoil air filter...hmmm...doesn't seem to work to well. I've emailed for the stock no. for my Denali, might do the same for the Silverado, if you are interested, that is...

Dean
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    Hey folks does someone have a link or website for velvetride.Thanks

Kirk
    just tried site for AMSOIL - no matches
    on Silverado - so e-mailed a message

randy
    Thanks

Kirk
  • gmcsierragmcsierra Member Posts: 40
    Sorry it took a while to answer. The calibrations were for a 2000 2wd 1500 std cab stepside 5.3 auto with a build date of 10/19/99.

For some of you all that tow stuff, an anti-sway bar is a wise investment. I saw vince's install on his 2500 and decided to try it. Ordered a Hellwig bar (1 1/8 inch diameter) from ZMotive.com and installed it. It was the same part # as for the 2500 (7604 I think, I'll double check that). I was surprised to find that it actually improved the ride on my truck. I thought it rode smoothly before, but now it feels like you have added about 150lbs of dirt in the bed. Really smoothed out some of the jitters I hadn't noticed before the install. The install was easy except for having to crawl around under the truck(never realized concrete was that hard :)
    Price was 139.95 including the 20 bucks for ups shipping. Would be interesting to see how this would work with the velvet ride shackles and the edelbrock shocks!!! No funds for that right now though.

Step bars:

Looked at the GM step bars in their accessories catalogue at the dealer. They show a metal step pad (notch cut out in the tube and pad is welded in) instead of the usual plastic step pad. Anyone have these (in black) and can confirm this? Or are they plastic too? GM is just as cheap as anyone else on step bars around here.

Jay
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Read where you are installing a new exhaust system. Are you staying with the single in single out---and just dumping the Gibson or what??
    thanks,

clay
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    to 2500s here, only 1500s. I found out about this combo by emailing a suspension shop advertising on the internet to ask about air springs to soften the ride. The response I got back was the velvet/IAS option. I still think some configuration of air springs would be best. You could surf the net under air springs, it might have been MacSprings I emailed, to get some advice on 2500s.
    The only modification necessary on my installation was shaving the center bolt head slightly to get clearance against the inside frame
    rail - the velvets fill the whole shackle bracket with no room to spare - unless they shipped me the wrong ones. The stock shackles look puny compared to the velvets. I am curious about white6's install.
    I had a local spring shop install mine - they were already familiar with velvets, installed some before - so you might call around to your local suspension/spring shops for their opinion.
    Regarding results - different drivers can experience different sensations when driving the same vehicle, so the best bet is to try to find a truck like yours with the mods installed before doing the mods on your truck. My guess: stiffer suspensions will show the most dramatic improvement - value of this opinion: $.02.
  • gmcsierragmcsierra Member Posts: 40
    Forgot to mention that I have the handling/trailering package as well.

Jay
    Does anybody have the link or website for good info on the HD trucks.Thanks in advance.

Kirk
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Tim: What is your opinion on running boards for a 1500 ext cab 2wd.

Thanks for all responses. Appreciated. Bob
    Opinion?....I think 2WD or 4WD doesn't really matter for boards or bars...

some will say Boards are for 2WD and Nerf bars for for 4WD. Sometimes I feel the boards give it a lower effect and kinda look like gramps....but I get so many comments on them...I really don't care..

I like them

Get what you feel comfortable with....be it 2WD or 4WD.

Babs,

Like I said before...if an LT isn't 2 tone by 2002...I will have the dealer or my painter friend do it for me

....Onyl thing is then people think you have a fake LT?...LOL

again...who cares

- Tim
    I liked the Stainless tailgate guard...but I figured of all the places that would get trashed the most..the tailgate would be the worst...so I left it the plastic one....

Only drawback to the rails is if I ever need to set something on them?

In the past 8 years or so i had to do it once...so I figure I'm OK...lot's of stuff has gone sideways over them...but once I had to take a picnic table..I put in in upside down with the seats on the rails...

wouldn't work too good now with locker rails......course that was a narow stepside?..so maybe it woundn't be an issue?

Hmmmmm

- Tim E.Coyote - Super Genius
    (Eatious Slobbious)
    www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/Wilesupr_Gen.wav
    It says GMC is trying to appeal as a work truck?

I thought their goal was to be an Upscale truck?

When will GM dump the GMC line?...it makes no sense......other than non-Chevy dealers can sell trucks

- Tim
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I'm using 303 now but I used Armor All on my last car for 18 years and it worked just fine. It kept the black plastic bumpers looking good all that time and the dash never cracked. The 303 literature really slams AA type products but I think they exaggerate the down-side. I remember when AA came out, it was like a miracle product. Maybe 303 is better but that doesn't make AA bad.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I installed the Edelbrock shocks on my 2500 4x4 LB reg cab and I'd say they do little to improve the ride on this truck. It does lean less in corners and handles a load a little better but as for empty ride difference, I don't notice much. The old shocks were the factory standard-ride version. I don't think shocks are the limiting factor in ride quality for this truck.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I haven't had a dash crack on any car since our 1967 Camaro. And I haven't used Armor All.

I read a test a long time ago that proved Armor All actually degraded the vinyl. Of course the test may have been done by a competitor. I do know from experience that tires I used Armor All on cracked on the sidewall prematurly. Since I stopped using it on tires, I have not had a sidewall crack.

Richard
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    vinced4

I don't know if putting 1/2 ton shocks on your 3/4 ton pickup makes a difference, but the Edelbrock IAS Shocks work great on my 1500 pickup! I don't think that Edelbrock make shocks for the 2500???

smikes

You asked about the price drop if the Z71 is ordered with the FW1. I could be wrong on the exact price but I believe that the Z71 package drops from around $325 to about $125 if ordered with the FW1 which is around $395.
    of my '76 Cutlass Supreme and it lifted the dash a little before putting a big ole crack across it from front to back.

bassamatic

Yep, I'm replacing my single in single out Swept side Gibson with a powervault which is also single in single out using a magnaflow muffler. Got tired of the resonance and didn't want to add a resonator or resonator tip. Let's see how long it takes Zummo to get one here.

Dean
    You are right about the s/s tailgate protector. Got a couple of gouges in them. But then again, this is not a show truck...the scars gives it character...LOL

Dean
    For some reason this is bugging me. Is any ones rear end crooked? I mean one side is lower than the other??? It seems that the drivers side seems to sit up higher than the passenger side. Maybe its just me or im parked on uneven ground.

Ryan

Tim who cares if they think its fake as long as you know what it is
    In 1980 my mother had a new Toronado with red leather and vinyl Dash area. After a couple of years of Armorall edges of dash began to curl (around speakers, seams). It also took the fake chrome finish off the trim that bordered the dash. Had also used on my 86 El Camino which I still have and in the process of replacing trim that Armorall discolored. On the El Camino chrome was actually a tape finish which literally dissolved. Did use on a couple of Trans Ams (late 70's early 80's) but both traded in a short time period so next owner saw result.

Since late 80's been using seats leather care
    on vinyl parts so far OK.

*All cars were(are) garaged and saw limited full
    exposure to sun.
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    My truck is black also. I plan on washing this weekend. Earlier you posted it is best to wash one spot at a time with running water, no spray, no soap. What is best to use to wash with, sponge, soft towel?

Thanks!
    When I wash with running water, no spray, and a car wash soap (never dish soap) I use a soft bristle brush. The long bristles will get into tight spots and clean them, but don't have the surface area for a contaminant to stick to and scratch the paint.

Works great for wheels also.

I keep a small sponge in the bucket to scrub those difficult spots with.

Mike L
This discussion has been closed.