Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    TIMS a softy haha

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I'm not the one saying this in the Tundra Topics about my Chevy....(actual quote from babs)

"Only thing that seems to be a problem is to much
    room gotta really stretch to give my girlfriend a
    kiss.

Ryan "

heehehehe

- Tim
    Haha thanks for embarrassing me Tim. So that doesnt mean im soft. Glad you quoted me there.

Ryan
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I thought most 2500's got the semi floating rear, and I was pleasantly suprised to see the full floater. Thanks for the reply.

It is not neccesary to change a cam when you change a lifter. The new lifter will wear into the cam. I've done this 3-4 times with no problems. Even if you have a problem, then you change the cam, and put in new lifters. You don't lose much labor in the first case. But, a new cam should always be installed with new lifters.

Mike L
    you asked for that one!

LOL

- Tim
    yea i pretty much did. I was just giving an example in how the chevy cab is so big. Seriously you cant even sneak a kiss in its so obvious that its coming.

Ryan
    I just seen a 2500 Reg cab long bed 4x4 here in the plant. This truck looked good except for the bottom. The underneath was very rusty looking. I couldnt beleive it. Must be driven in harsh environments each day.

Tim - I drove in a 2500 4x4 reg cab friday. Kind of a rough ride if you ask me. My 1500 is much smoother. Truck was very nice though except for the color (red). It was a contractors truck here at work. id consider one definitly if i had alot of towing and hauling to do but i do prefer my 1500 ride to the 2500.

Ryan
    you had a bench seat now eh?...so you can be one of those couples that looks like it takes two people to drive the truck...

babs is falling victim here...help him...

- Tim
    I can't help it if you are a wuss!

hehehe

- Tim

If it rides harder and bumpier...and the honey is with you....well...you figure it out...
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    Sorry if this has been covered, been away awhile. 1) Who has the best deal on Catch All mats?

2) I found a rubber stopper on the floor about the same time I got a squeak in the drivers side door area. I think the rubber piece goes in the door frame area but dont know where. Any guesses? Its about 3/4 round x 1 in. tall with a [non-permissible content removed] on the end.

3) The back of the truck kinda pogos sometime when pulling the boat. Will airbags help? And whats the hot set-up for airbags?

Thanks, Scottay1@aol.com
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Looking for some input from you guys with 2500's. Mine has developed a couple of problems in the past week. I've scheduled a visit to the dealer, but thought I might get some ammo in anticipation of the expected "could not duplicate problem" answer from the dealer.

1. Got a clunking noise in the right rear suspension going over bumps; sounds like loose shock or spring mounts, but crawled under there and everything looks OK. Problem disappeared when towing my travel trailer this weekend, but comes back as soon as trailer is disconnected. Bad spring shackles or spring bushings maybe?

2. Steering effort seems really loose. Maybe a bad speed sensor? Also developed a loud hissing from the steering pump even at 1/2 turns (like you sometimes get when you turn the wheel to full lock). When I described this to the dealer's service tech, he said this was a chronic problem on the 2500 steering pump and they were waiting for a TSB from GM for a fix. Anybody had this problem?
    Let me address your bench seat comment with 2 words HELL NO!

That looks so dumb. That is one reason i got the bucket seats. I dont want someone sitting on top of me while i try and drive. Theres other places that thats for like a couch.

Ryan

I aint no wussy.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    That rubber stopper may be used to keep the parking brake arm from banging against the metal subframe for the dash. A little RTV will hold that sucker on permanently!

Jerry
    is it almost a non-metal sound?

Check the plastic splash guard in the wheel well. Mine was loose and would hit the frame. Push up on it a few times and see how much travel you get. When towing it may be further away and not clunk?

Good luck

- Tim
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    By plastic splash guard, I guess you mean in the front wheel-well, since the back wheel well is metal. My noise sounds like its in the back. I'll check it out tonight though.
    Gonna take wednesday off. I got my Z1 and Z5 today.

Ryan
    Maybe the stick shift gets the full floater? I always thought the heavy duty applications get full floaters (diesels and maybe sticks) and the lighter dutys (automatics?) get the semi-floaters.

Any other ideas?

Mike L
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    Going to change auto/farm insurance companies after many year. They don't like to insure
    vettes. They have one other on the role.
    Since family old customers would make an exception but will charge high rate.
    Checked State Farm and Nationwide
    both about $700 year or $500 year less
    than present company for vette but $70 higher on truck. Has anyone got comments on State farm or Nations or other companies to check out.
    The above do offer the farm umbrellas - which is
    a plus. Surprised about C1500 series being higher
    at other firms -pay $550 year now.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Out here in Colorado, we know all about driving in snow, mud, off-road etc. We're not too keen on rain because we seldom get any. Last night was a reminder. Dark night time and bright lights. Rain was coming down in sheets. Wipers on high. I was splashing along about 70 mph on the interstate, when I just touched the brakes, only breathed on them.....abs kicked in, still wanted to slow down...vehicles in front approaching. ABS stayed on for what seemed an eternity, 5 or ten seconds. On the verge of smacking the guard rail or running into the ditch. Felt like I wasn't slowing at all, and probably wasn't slowing much. What a ride. It was like trying to stop on ice from 70 mph going downhill, big time hydroplaning. All's well that ends well, but I didn't imagine such a thrill from ordinary rain. Did slow down afterward...
    did u have 4 wheel drive? autotrac? Also slow down when it rains that usually will help.

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I do have those Ryan, but don't use them in the rain. You are right...slowing down is the answer.

If I didn't have the abs, I would have felt a wheel lock, get off the brakes...feel a wheel lock, get off the brakes, keep it pointed straight etc.

Like Tim and others have complained about abs, it's the feeling of not being in control of your brakes that unnerves. They did their job. It's also the feeling of a big heavy truck with my motorcycle in back...not a sports car.
  • tiredofwaitingtiredofwaiting Member Posts: 74
    Will my truck ever be fixed?
    I purchased my GMC Sierra on June 26, 1999 from Mitchell Chevrolet/GMC Truck in West Point, MS. I took it back two weeks later because I thought it had a wheel that was not balanced. When I came to pick it up, the service manager told me it was a defect that GM was working to correct and he would let me know when GM had a procedure to fix it. I kept checking back. All the while the vibration was getting worse while he repeatedly assured me GM was working on a solution. The truck vibrated when you first accelerated from a stop. It vibrated between 35 & 40 MPH. It vibrated and shimmied at 65 & 70 mph. The passenger seat vibrates back and forth like a 25-cent motel bed while at highway speeds. The broken seat belt rattles in the background constantly. The dash rattles and is getting louder. During November, I called and he told me the dealership was forced to buy a $10,000 tire machine to combat the vibration problems in the new trucks. He said GM now had a fix for the problem; it entailed replacing my springs and balancing my tires on the new machine. He ordered the parts. They came in and I made an appointment to install them in December. I took the truck in and left it while I was out of town. When I came to pick it up, I was told they determined that new General tires were needed before they could put on the springs. They ordered the tires. I waited and called and waited and called, still no tires. Finally I called back in May, he said, “yeah I believe the tires are finally in.” I made an appointment for June 12th, planning to leave the truck for an extended period of time and have the many other problems that were piling up corrected at the same time. Included in these were: sticking throttle, whining transmission, pops and creaks from the front springs while backing up, groans from the power steering unit, loud wind noise from the rear windows, rattle in the dash, exploded shock absorber, broken rear seatbelt, premature engagement of the ABS system, rough idle, and it goes dead sometimes if it is not allowed to idle until warm.

Took in the morning of June 12th, they said there was a mix up and did not have a loaner car. I should come back the next day. I Return June 13th, and I was given a Buick Century. I might add someone had just dropped it off; it was just plain nasty inside, smelled like smoke, ashes and cigarettes everywhere, my little girl even found a razor blade under the seat. I checked back at end of week. They have not done anything. The next week they balance the tires.... it still vibrates. Two and a half weeks later they have done nothing further. They are supposed to address all the other issues listed above during this visit. Service manager says they are doing it a little at a time will work it all out. Three and a half weeks into this I started talking to him about a GM buy back and tell him I am calling GM for a case number. The next day my truck is in the shop suddenly and they are going to work late that night to get the parts on it. I come in the following morning and they have not worked on it, but promise they are about to start. That afternoon I drive it with new springs. It still vibrates. Next day they swap a drive shaft out of a 2000 Silverado, No help. That afternoon they swap the wheels and tires with the same new truck. At this point it actually vibrates worse. About this time I notice they have dropped by hitch on the ground, bending the light connector housing up. We flake bits of paint off of it together and the Service Manager assures me he will replace it. Then he takes me out to drive a couple of 2000’s on the lot. One vibrates, not as bad as mine though. Both have no transmission whine or wind noise however. It is interesting that one has 400 miles on the odometer and a feathered tire on the left front wheel. The Service Manager suggests it is a dealer transfer and they probably swapped a problem tire off of a vibrating customer’s truck. He says he will call the GM District Manager and find out how to proceed. The next day I go back twice, by the afternoon he finally says the GM DM says to order new tires and that will fix it. New tires? I said we just put new tires on yesterday. He said they must be defective that the new ones would be in spec, stiffer sidewalls. Does that mean the 2000’s on the lot have defective tires? Guess so. My Sierra has been in the shop for 36 straight days as of July 17th and the only problems they claim to have repaired is the sticking throttle and the exploded shock absorber. Oh, one other note, I complained about the nasty loaner car. They gave me the service department truck to drive; it only has 80,000 miles on it. The fun never stops. The GM satisfaction center will not give me the name of the District Manager. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and sent GM a certified letter asking for a replacement truck. I guess all I can do is wait for the tires. The Service Manager assures me he will have them in 3 days. Last time he order tires for me it took 4 months! I have no confidence in there being able to fix my truck properly. The latest repair for vibration that GM has proposed actually includes welding on the frame!

I am building a web site we can use to share information and voice our dissatisfaction to GM. Please email me if you still own a defective truck, the nature of the defect(s), and if you resolved it, how you did.
    I believe there is strength in numbers and we can help each other stand up against General Motors.
    Web address: <<A HREF="http://drive.to/agmlemon">http://drive.to/agmlemon&gt;
    Email address: < mailto:gm_lemon@bigfoot.com>

Thanks,
    Clay Hodges
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Recommend you read the Chevrolet Silverado Vibration link under consumer comments on this BBS.
  • 1999gap1999gap Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased SB Extended cab 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton Silverado. Love the truck but I want to put larger tires on. I have seen this truck with 285's, but am not sure about rim size or offset. I will probably go with weld or alcoa rims, but I am not sure of which offset to go with. I definitely don't want to lift the truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this topic has probably been covered already, but this topic is WAY to long to search.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    stock rims with no problems...
  • dmickdmick Member Posts: 28
    To Scottay:
    The rubber stopper you have is probably the rubber bumper that is on the parking brake release ratchet. You should see one on the ratchet, if none there there should be a hole to put the bumper back in.
  • tdriggertdrigger Member Posts: 9
    First time Chevy purchaser and own a 00' Silverado LS Z-71 Pewter/Gold with 5.3L. Faithfully change the oil and filter with M1 every 3500 miles and have noticed the truck uses 1/2 to 3/4 of quart of oil every 2000 - 2500 miles. A buddy of mine is experiencing the same symptoms and took his to his dealer. The service department stated this is normal but I disagree because previous car's/truck's I've owned for years always remained full on the dipstick up until the next oil change. Just curious if there is anyone else out the experiencing this problem?

FYI...look in the mail! I received a re-call notice for the service department to label the front brake hoses stating that the calibers must be supported when removed. The recall is on "certain" 99'/00'Silerado 1/2 ton trucks.

Additionally, I am taking the truck to the service department this week because the 4WD message indicator failed to illuminate yesterday while hauling firewood in 4WD LO. Any thoughts?

Overall, very pleased with the truck just a bit nervous about the oil consumption!

LINE-X is the way to go for bedliner!

Tom
    Do you have autotrac? IF you do only the little light on that button will light up above the 4wd LO button. If you have the flor shifter i dont know what to tell you.

Ryan
    Z71 sticker and molding fell off whoop dee dooooooooooo. Truck still ran great. Nothing mechanically went wrong. I heard actually that the sticker and molding didnt stay on because they cranked out a few trucks for these "magazines" and didnt care much about appearance just the basic truck so these magazine could test drive them. Obviously it didnt matter much to them thats why it was motor trends 1999 truck of the year.

My picks for truck of the year for the next few yrs stand as:

2001: ??? Lincoln blackwood possibly ???
    2002: Dodge Ram
    2003: Nissan full size dont know the name yet
    2004: Lexus pickup truck (haha im stretching it i know)
    2005: GMC terradyne hahaha
    Now im getting carried away

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have I missed something??...have never read a post by Bama in this topic....

Dean
    Time for copy and paste

Ryan
    MY BAD wrong topic i thought i clicked on this one instead of 2056. Sorry i apologize

Ryan

Im still not awake
    I've had State Farm insurance for many years and have had nothing but good things to say about it.

I've had claims paid promptly and fairly. I get multiple vehicle discounts, discounts on homeowners, etc.

And after you've been with them awhile, they give you lower rates if your claims record has been good. I think I am paying around $300/yr for my Silverado 2500 4x4.

Mike L
    Lucky you. Right now i am paying $250 a month. I hate insurance. I found out yesterday my insurance will go from $1100 (something like that i rounded off) to $500 something in october. All because ill be turning 21 then. And if i make the honor thingy at school (deans list) itll be like $200 every 6 months. It pays to be old and wise haha.

Now i know how YALL feel

Ryan
    Everyone please check out my new topic 2109. Thank You for your continued support

Ryan
  • scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    the rubber piece isnt from the e-brake, that ones intact. this one is taller and bigger around.

Any info on CatchAlls or bags? Scott
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Try keeping the oil level at 1/2 way up the hatch marks on the dipstick for one entire oil change cycle. 6qts takes you to about that mark. I have noticed that if I keep mine all the way at the top of the hatches (~6.5 qts) it will use a little oil.

Plus, less than a quart in one oil change cycle is pretty reasonable. When did you switch to M1? Curious how many miles you are at now? Did you follow the break-in?
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Has been good to me over the last 24 years. I carry Collision deductable at $2000 which really helps and Comp at $1000 with free glass, in fact carry that same deductible on my house and motorcycles and trailer......
  • davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    Hey Guys,

Could I get a re-hash on the rear end rattling at low speed. I seem to be getting that "text book" problem of rattling when passing over significant bumps in the road or minor off-road excursions mostly at low speed. Any thoughts or resolutions would be appreciated.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    My 2001 Silverado gets ordered today. Dealer says it should be built the week of September 18th. Here is what I'm getting...
    ----------------------------------------
    2001 Silverado LS Extended Cab (1500)
    5.3L
    Automatic trans
    3.73 axle
    Autotrac transfer case
    Z71 suspension
    Trailering package
    P265/75R15 WOL
    10" self-dimming mirror w/ temp, compass
    Rear window defogger
    Deep tinted glass
    Front fog lamps
    Two tone paint (white upper/pewter lower)
    Graphite cloth seats w/ 40/20/40
    -----------------------------------------
    Dealer wanted $500 over invoice, so
    ....all this for $28,604 + tax/license

-David
    I forgot to add the Locking Differential to the list.

-David
    Good luck David, sounds like you are getting a decent price. Now comes the "fun" part, waiting for the truck to come in. Hang in there!!!

Jerry
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    dch0300! I'm envious. I'm waiting to see the new interior color on the lot before I order. Who did you end up ordering through?
    I ended up going thru my local dealer (Everett Chevrolet). I've had some really good experiences with them in the past , and they are only 2 miles from my house. I could have ordered "the truck" from some other Seattle area dealers at only $300 above invoice, but I have never dealt with any of these other dealers, they are much farther away, and I didn't want to take the chance for a measly $200.

When I get my truck I'm adding a Lund Interceptor bug guard, Westin CPS step bars, and a set of Eagle Alloy Series 118 polished aluminum wheels.

Now how to pay for all of this....hmmmmm.

-David
    Its not to bad dont let the $$$ Discourage you. Just work extra Overtime haha. I have $2000 to pay off then im gonna add a grill guard. After that maybe bigger tires. Then i am done

Ryan
    Well, the fun has already started.
    I just got a call from the Everett Chevrolet sales manager. Apparently all truck orders with two-tone paint are NOT getting accepted or even being built!
    I asked him if it was the case at both the Canadian and US plants, and he didn't know. Just said my order was not accepted because I wanted two-tone paint.
    He also said this is the 3rd week in a row now for this problem.
    He'll try to order it again next Tuesday.

How G*d D**n hard is it to paint the lower half of my truck pewter anyway?
    .....ok calm down.

-David
    Tahoes cant be ordered this yr with two tone. They arent making them at all maybe its the same for the silverados???

Ryan
    It is amazing what can delay an order. In 99 it was the white letter tires, or the aluminum rims and other small items that delayed orders.

Another reason beer was invented!

Jerry
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    I realize that the Lund Interceptor is the choice of most owners on this board. I have seen it recommended, but what makes it better than say the Lund Avenger, GTS, or others?

(I realize this is an old subject but what I have read is just the recommendation of Lund with no specific reason. I know some cause windshield pops and wind noise)

Thanks!
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Several reasons I like it: Sits far enough off the hood to wash behind it easily. No drill and no adhesive to mount. Low profile follows hood lines and I can't even see it from the drivers seat. Since installing I have had no additional wind noise. Also, I think it has a lifetime warranty. Others might be just as good but this one had the features I wanted and I only paid about $50. Install was maybe 15 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.