Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Your assessment of the current GM and grade given is close to what I would administer. Malibu and CTS are standouts, no doubt. My issue with Pontiac is that the G8 is not really a US bred car. Everything else is subpar, IMO...D. Buick is dying, IMO.

Caddy also is not as stellar IMO because of the A&S at the current life cycle of that design. The interior of the CTS, however, is striking for a US brand. I agree with your grade of B only because the Escalade is in style now and is based on strong build of their truck line...good pedigree which should have been followed the XLR/'Vette linkage. Caddy gets C in my book...I am a tough grader when it comes to Caddy. LOTS more to be done there.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I LOVE going to Charleston! :) There's only one time that I almost didn't enjoy it. We were walking to the aquarium and got caught in the rain. Still ended up enjoying the trip, though.

So. Nobody knows if the X6 is being sold anywhere yet?
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    A very fair and balanced review indeed, thanks hemi.

Maybe houdini shouldn't go test drive the LX570 because based on hemi's review I am afraid that he'll fall in love with it and end up driving one out of the dealership "for good". ;)
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    It's hard to compare the Lambda's with any of those lightweights, IMO.

That's what the auto press has been doing, though. Rather than bothering with a fourth Lambda rebadge, I think GM should be a lot more concerned about the midsize CUV market. The Equinox/Torrent twins, the Vue, and the SRX aren't doing a great job in that sector. Saab is supposed to get something there as well, but I don't expect much. It all goes back to the "too many models, too many divisions" problem that GM is still struggling with. Rather than four Lambda rebadges with a lot of price overlap, 3 or 4 mediocre midsize CUVs, there should be one great mainstream offering, and one great luxury offering. They just can't keep juggling all these brands with the kind of market share they have now.
  • Options
    Lexus plant production of cars

Lets repeat after me: The relentless pursuit of perfection.

:P
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The conclusion that I really like from Edmunds is that the M3 is a SCREAMING BARGAIN!!

Through its own engineering magic, BMW has somehow managed to give this everyday coupe the feel of a low-volume specialty car like the Porsche 911, only with a $50,000 discount. The M3 coupe makes us wonder what BMW could do if it decided to build a midengine sports car like an Audi R8.

This past week the good but not so competent folks from my BMW dealership have had problems installing two new fuel pumps in my BMW 335i. Hopefully those mechanics there can figure what to do with my car. :surprise:

My old 98 BMW 323i was able to out-Lexus any Lexus in terms of reliability. So far my BMW 335i can easily outdo any Range Rover in terms of unreliability. My wife's BMW 530xi Touring has also visited the shop quite frequently. Our BMW dealership has become our home away from home. At least my kids like the dealership's hot chocolate.

As of today I am a Born-Again Consumers Report Believer who will religously be guided by those Red Reliability Dots towards my brand new Inspirations: A Lexus ;)
  • Options
    Lets repeat after me: The relentless pursuit of perfection.

Amen brother, amen!
    Once I buy my new Lexus I will be cleansed and redeemed from all my BMW sins.
    And I am looking forward to that heavenly day!
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Nice video. Thanks for posting it, Louis. I could eventually be a Lexus convert where not for my new baby!

:confuse:

:shades:

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I have been looking forward to that day for years and years. Still no inspiring car has come from Lexus. My patience will be rewarded one day, hopefully.

Thankfully, until that day arrives, there are choices like Porsche and BMW to hold me over. ;)

TM
  • Options
    I came home yesterday evening because of the stormy weather at the mountains. So much wind and snow that skiing or even trekking became impossible. Under such a circumstance, I'd rather drove to my daughter's and then home to break in the car.

As well, what a collection of posts to read when I entered Edmunds!

So, I've learned some nice and interesting personal stories (thank you for letting them out). I've learned too that TM has an enchanting black coupe! TM: uncertainty and suspense are left back; now is time for you to enjoy the toy!! Do it, and please report your findings.

In turn, I am getting acquainted with the 335d, and specially with her auto tranny.
    After politely driving the car on roads around my place for a while, I eventually drove her in sport mode on mountain roads. I would also shift up and down manually. What a change! In normal mode, the car seemed to me much much more lazy than the former 530d. I was quite disappointed. Now I am not. I have learned to brake her with the engine as I had done all my manual shifting life. I can now shift down to enter a corner while matching revs and go out of it as quick as possible. And I do it quicker now than I had done when pressing the left pedal. This such a good feeling when linking bends! Not even second to accelerating out of a corner by changing the weight to the heels when skiing!

Next week end I will drive inland (to a small village near Valladolid) to meet some wife's friends and make a raku. My wife is a potter aficionada. (In working life she's a colleague of mine, equal MD & PhD research specialty and responsability.) So, this week end we will paint pieces to put them in the oven, and we will lively celebrate the results with some 'Ribera del Duero' bottles in the evenings. Yet it might be this time I will leave the painting and cooking to drive on Castilian and Leonese flat roads!

Regards,
    Jose
    PS: 'Ribera del Duero' is the land-origin denomination of what many think is the finest Spanish wine.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Sorry to learn your plans were changed by the weather. But, you have made lemonade out of lemons... which is good.

I won't be back until Monday night After I drive the 135i next week, I'll post some feedback.

Enjoy Spain's finest wine and the flat roads! ;)

TM
  • Options
    As of today I am a Born-Again Consumers Report Believer who will religously be guided by those Red Reliability Dots towards my brand new Inspirations: A Lexus

Might I suggest a G35? BMW performance, Lexus reliability. Hard to go wrong there.
  • Options
    PS: 'Ribera del Duero' is the land-origin denomination of what many think is the finest Spanish wine.

Any Vega Sicilias or Tinto Pesqueras? I'm trying to expand my tastes beyond my usual Italian reds and I've heard those two are supposed to be excellent.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Holla Jibl, and welcome back

Glad the new car is working out...I suspect with the diesel, with the torque, and lower rps, the transmission is important to use if you want the sport feel while driving hard....In U.S. terms, how much would a gallon of diesel cost vs a gallon of gas? Just generally? A shame about too much snow and wind...A little is always fun....Tony
  • Options
    Any Vega Sicilias or Tinto Pesqueras? I'm trying to expand my tastes beyond my usual Italian reds and I've heard those two are supposed to be excellent.

Indeed, 'Vega Sicilia' or 'Tinto Pesqueras' are traditionally excellent and can be found in the best restaurants and wine shops. There are also other new wine-maker brands that may excel among the world-wide bests. Some of them are only sold by subscription, or by writing to the maker. I can try to put together a short list of usual brands and the special ones to be posted here or sent by e-mail to you (and any other who is interested in).

Regards.
    Jose
  • Options
    Hola, Tony, siempre me alegra tener noticias tuyas!

In U.S. terms, how much would a gallon of diesel cost vs a gallon of gas? Just generally?

That depends on the taxing policy of the particular Country. In the UK diesel has always been slightly more expansive than gasoline. In continental Europe the trend has been usually the opposite. However, diesel fuel is more and more taxed as long as diesel consume is getting higher and higher. If one adds that taxing to the market laws, the result is that the cost of a gallon of diesel is overtaking a gallon of gas in many Countries. In Spain, a gallon of diesel in more expansive than a gallon of gas since last week, to my deep regret (and that of the remaining 70% of the Spanish drivers).

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    The X6 is for sale now, isn't it?

Yes i heard as well it its already available in dealers and selling fast.

So was it looking better than the x5 from the back???

I am looking forward to see it in person but i do know that surely x5 is more convenient and the better choice.

When will there be a redesigned of the Range Rover sport and the vogue?

Countries. In Spain, a gallon of diesel in more expansive than a gallon of gas since last week,

Really :surprise:
  • Options
    In Spain, a gallon of diesel in more expansive than a gallon of gas since last week,

Really. It indeed is so bad. Success will kill the gold-egg chicken, I am afraid. :sick:
    Yet less consume and more reselling value still makes diesel desirable on the long term.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Might I suggest a G35? BMW performance, Lexus reliability. Hard to go wrong there.

True! But for performance I will stick with the trials and tribulations of a BMW under warranty ofcourse. Despite my inclination to buy cars for very long terms it looks like I wont be keeping my BMW 335i beyond warranty. Wholly gripes I mean how much does a BMW fuel pump cost anyways? All those hours of labor costs? I honestly dont know nor do I ever want to know what the cost would have been for all the repairs on my BMW335i since November 2006. :sick:

The irony of ironies is that my highly reliable and flawless 98 BMW323i had lousy Consumer Report ratings while my highly unreliable 2007 BMW 335i has wonderful Consumers Report ratings. Go figure. :confuse:

I am also biased towards Lexus since that brand reminds me of Mercedes Benz before the 90s when their "Star Logo " stood for durability, quality and dependability.

Infiniti? Performance-wise I dont like the G35 especially when compared to the BMW335i. The M35/45? Sorry but I am still more inclined towards a BMW 5 series ( 535i/550i). And God-forbid if I bought an Infiniti for reliability reasons and end up being held as a hostage in their service departments.
  • Options
    Really. It indeed is so bad. Success will kill the gold-egg chicken, I am afraid.
    Yet less consume and more reselling value still makes diesel desirable on the long term.

Diesel fuel is selling at quite a premium here in Toronto. My city traffic driving dictates a hybrid if my main goal is fuel cost savings. Then again " All work and no play makes John a dull boy". So heck maybe I will end up buying that BMW diesel anyways.

Also Spainish resale values of diesels may not remain so high if diesel prices start selling at hefty premiums.
  • Options
    Dewey, 5-Series is a good choice. At least it was for me.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    I hear you. I am looking forward to test driving a new generation diesel BMW 5 Series. The date will be November 2010 when my BMW 335i warranty expires. I already recorded that date on my calendar. ;)
  • Options
    I caught it while driving home from work on PCH (please excuse the quality since I took these with my phone camera:

• Options
    Where are the Japanese auto enthusiasts?

Domestic sales are a total disaster now," he said. "A car used to symbolize a dream. People used to work hard to buy a car. These days, nobody is saying that. No one thinks a car is cool anymore."

link title
  • Options
    Great Catch!

The new BMW 118d hatchback is what interests me most!

BMW 118d Wins 'World Green Car Award'

In the 118d, this engine makes 141 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. It will prod the car to 60 mph in about 8.8 seconds, returning 59 mpg on the (foreign) highway and spewing only 118 grams of CO2 per kilometer into the (non-US) atmosphere. Not bad at all.

link title
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Sorry, I like the coupe but that thing is butt-ugly!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Jose,
    I believe that there is little so admirable as a man who understands, respects and enjoys the things that give him pleasure in life.

Always a joy to hear what you are up to because you seem to be up to so much!

Sincerely,
    Bristol.

Speaking of Bristol.... have any of you ever come across Bristol cars? I will admit that I never heard of this during my 16 years in the UK. Quite an oddball brand, maybe one for Blkhemi?
    link title
  • Options
    ... So was it looking better than the x5 from the back??? ...

Well, I'm not a fan of it (yet), so I didn't commit much of it to memory. As I recall, the rearend was a bit reminiscent of the 3-series coupe. It did have nice, aggressive looking chrome exhaust tips. (Too bad we don't get those on the 5-series.)
  • Options
    LF-A Roadster European Premiere

Tag, I think your Lexus is just around the corner...

;)

Did anyone notice the 9000 RPM redline? :surprise:
  • Options
    Yeah, and the neat order of the spheres at the cockpit. She is really a good looking car, inside and outside.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Many thanks,
    :);)
    Jose
  • Options

Adding to this is the fact that diesel engines are longer-lived than gas ones. But you are right in that high fuel prices will eventually affect the reselling value of the diesels.

On the other hand, you know the 5-doors 118d hatch back was the rented car I drove along 2000 miles just a month ago. I can say, she is really as good a roadster as the report underlines. Her 4 cylinders did an outstanding work.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    The M35/45? Sorry but I am still more inclined towards a BMW 5 series ( 535i/550i).

My problem with the M right now is that the VK45 is lagging a bit in power vs. the competition, and that 5-speed. Once they come out with the M37 and M50 with their new 7-speed, the car should be much more of a force to be reckoned with. Certainly the GS and RL will have no chance at that point. There's always a chance of any car, no matter how many red dots it receives, being a lemon.
  • Options
    Where are the Japanese auto enthusiasts?

Have you seen what the traffic is like in Tokyo? I wouldn't want a car if I lived there either. It makes London or New York traffic look like nothing. They've just run out of places to put cars. Besides, how much more enjoyable would driving around in a 660cc K-car be than public transportation anyway?
  • Options
    ...how much more enjoyable would driving around in a 660cc K-car be than public transportation anyway?

A lot more. You could come and go as you please instead of having to travel around a set schedule.
  • Options
    A lot more. You could come and go as you please instead of having to travel around a set schedule.

And you could also sit in unmoving jams for days on end. There's a reason they have "Kurumarukuns", or portable car-toilets over there.
  • Options
    How would that differ from sitting on a bus in traffic jams; surrounded by strangers, no less, with all their quirks and germs.
  • Options
    http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/index2.htm

What a surprise, the Bristol brand! Those cars really look like out of time (that said with admiration). One can love their style or not, but they really are nice rarities. And they seem to benefit from British Aircraft Corporation engineering heritage.

A rare feature these days is a generous area of glass (of exceptional optical quality) and slim pillars which give unrivalled outward vision.
    Blenheim style is akin that of old fashioned British cars, IMO.

We have therefore agreed to build a short run of 12-15 cars to be known as the Blenheim Speedster using the modern Blenheim chassis and drivetrain. Styling is a subtly enhanced version of the original while the interior is all new and conforms to usual sumptuous Bristol standards.
    I also noticed the Blenheim Speedster steering wheel and console.

Innovative design features are shared with aircraft, high-speed missiles and even submarines.
    The Fighter is sort of a handsome 1940-1950s Mille Miglia racing car but plenty of modern technology.

Again, what a surprise! Price is also awesome.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    There's always a chance of any car, no matter how many red dots it receives, being a lemon.

The Nissan GT-r shows a lot of potenital for Infiniti. But I am still waiting for that potential to be realized. And no I dont want be driving a 4 door Gt-r type sedan. That would be overkill for my kind of daily driving routes which aren't as bad as Tokyo's but bad enough.
  • Options
    On the other hand, you know the 5-doors 118d hatch back was the rented car I drove along 2000 miles just a month ago. I can say, she is really as good a roadster as the report underlines. Her 4 cylinders did an outstanding work.

We are planning a European trip this summer and if it ends up being a road trip I will definitely try to rent a BMW 118d hatchback. Here in Canada there is not much stigma with hatchbacks as there is in the USA thanks to the Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto.
  • Options
    Things are changing as of now. The new small lux performance vehicles like the 1 series and the A3 are just the beginning of something bigger.

Prediction: The MB S Class, The BMW 7 Series, The Audi A8 and the Lexus LS will end up being more exclusive as a result of lower demand for such vehicles. Also BIG SUVs sales will continue their steep decline. . In the 19th century a prosperous person was usually fat because he was able to afford being fat. The same is applicable with cars. Only fat walleted people will be able to thumb their noses at environmentalists because they will be the only ones that can afford hefty gas consumption

From the Wall Street Journal
    The tilt toward vehicles that seem European -- because they are compact, space efficient and powered by small displacement four-cylinder or diesel engines -- reflects several challenges confronting all auto makers that contend in the U.S. market.

One's obvious. Gasoline prices in America are above $3 a gallon, and have hung around that level long enough that consumers are starting to shift their buying patterns. In early March, sales of vehicles with four-cylinder engines were on track to surpass sales of six-cylinder vehicles, reversing the recent trend, according to data from J.D. Power and Associates Power Information Network. Power data also shows a shift toward midsize and small cars away from larger vehicles such as SUVs.

Two other forces promise to keep pushing the U.S. market toward smaller and more efficient rides. One is regulation. Under the recent energy bill, auto makers have to boost the average fuel efficiency of their fleets to 35 miles per gallon by 2020, from 27.5 mpg today. That's going to require selling more hybrids, more diesels and many more small vehicles.

The stronger force, however, is globalization, and the imperative to cut costs that goes with it.

The U.S. market is now almost as fractured as Europe's, where a half dozen companies hold roughly comparable shares. The intensified competition for sales puts a big squeeze on profitability, as a glance at the financial statements of GM and Ford will attest. Now that America is again joining the ranks of countries where energy efficiency is important, it makes sense for Ford and GM to grab their relatively successful European mass market cars and adapt them for America, rather than develop America-only compact cars that may not be as appealing or as profitable.

Alex DiSuvero for WSJ.com
    Ford will bring its new Fiesta to the U.S. market
    Jim Hall, managing director of automotive consulting firm 2953 Analytics, says what looks like a tilt toward European engineering and vehicle packaging is part of a more complex phenomenon.

"It's not Europeanization. It's globalization. What we will end up looking like is China," he says. We will drive more cars the size of the current Ford Focus or Chevy Malibu, which over time will share fundamental engineering with European models. But the American mass market won't likely embrace European style hatchbacks or diesel power. That's because Americans, like the Chinese, prefer sedan body styles and gasoline engines, he says. What's more, Mr. Hall predicts our cars will be wider. You can guess why.

Wall Street Journal
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    This just in, Jag and Range ROver are sold to Tata:
    link title
  • Options
    The Nissan GT-r shows a lot of potenital for Infiniti. But I am still waiting for that potential to be realized. And no I dont want be driving a 4 door Gt-r type sedan.

From what I've heard, Infiniti won't be doing anything with the GT-R in the near future. After the new FX50, there's supposed to be a new Q, and some other models as well.
  • Options
    This just in, Jag and Range ROver are sold to Tata:

The press seems to have forgotten that in addition to the couple of billion that Ford paid for Jaguar 18 years ago, they also burned through at least 5 times that much trying to run it. If Jag was ever profitable when it was part of the PAG, it wasn't for very long.
  • Options
    How would that differ from sitting on a bus in traffic jams

There is a thing called "trains" you know...

People around the world take trains to work everyday.
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Cute car. I see you took my suggestion and took the pic with your mobile. This is my IS350 taken with my mobile as well. You can see that I have brake dust issue too.

• Options
    This car definitely qualifies as one of my potential mid-life crisis cars. I will uses the excuse someone posted here to get my wife's permission for the car... "either a young model look alike girlfriend, or this _____ gorgeous convertible!"
  • Options
    My goodness, I am glad that I did not stick with the 328i.
  • Options
    Well I am glad you dont have a BMW 328i. I would not want one either. If I had to choose again knowing what I know about my car I would choose a BMW 335i again. Or maybe even a BMW M3. I cant think of a better car to own despite my aggravations.

P.S. Nice picture of the Yonge-Sheppard area. My childhood years were spent around that area of North Toronto when condominiums and office towers were a rare sight. In addition that is a very nice picture of your car. Good choice.
  • Options
    Can anyone recall that 1970s/80s VW Rabbit Pickup built in USA? Well here we go again .. :sick:

link title