Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I hate spending time that I don't have on taking new cars for repairs, but I guess your're hooked on BMW's formula...

Nice picture of the Yonge-Sheppard area
    Very good observation. This public parking lot is next to one of my clients, and about 2 miles from my house.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    My house is about 9km south of Sheppard. It took me about 10 minutes to pick up my BMW323i loaner which is on my way to work. ALmost as much time wasted as writing my last two posts here. :P
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    2001gs430, there is a TSIB for the brake dust issue on the IS350. You can take the car back to the dealer and they'll swap out the pads for you. I've done it and now the brake dust is dramatically reduced.

Nice looking car by the way. ;)
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    But how is your braking performance now? Have you now or before with the old pads had to do a sudden stop? I bet you've lost several feet in stopping power.
  • Options
    It took me about 10 minutes to pick up my BMW323i loaner

Your BMW service department must be very efficience in processing customers. I only visit my Lexus dealer once a year for each of my cars, but they never can get me into the loaner in ten minutes; I think 45 minutes plus travel time is about the average visit for me. I guess they purposely keep me around the waiting room longer than necessary, just so that I have time to look at the new car showroom :surprise:
  • Options
    Thanks for that info, I hope that would apply to Canadian cars too. I will mention that on my next free scheduled maintence visit.
  • Options
    According to the manufacture the stopping power is the same. From my personal experience the new pads are less "grabby" than the old ones but when I press it down hard it felt about just as good as the old ones. Personally I like the "grabby" feeling on brakes but it's also really good that I don't have to deal with the brake dust anymore.
  • Options
    they never can get me into the loaner in ten minutes

My Lexus dealer gets me into the loaner in less than 10 mins all the time. All they need are my drivers license and a credit and sometimes I can see the loaner was already parked in front of the office even before I arrive at the dealership.
  • Options
    Episode One

Episode Two

Episode Three

Again, this would never happen in a Lexus dealership. :P
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Again, this would never happen in a Lexus dealership.

This kind of thing disproves the theory that there's "no such thing as bad publicity.". This dealer looks just plain bad. A simple reserve for the amount of money the dealer apparently actually wanted for this car would've kept this problem from ever happening.

I do like how the dealer is demanding that he "control the press". Apparently they've never seen the press.
  • Options
    And it was DELICIOUS!
    Frame of reference: '08 550i Sport (manual)

As I walked around the car, giving it the look over, I thought to myself, "Wow, this is pretty small." But in a good way. It was much lower, shorter, narrower, etc. Almost looked like a toy or a cute little puppy that you just want to pick up and give a good squeeze. I glance back over at my 550i Sport, "Mine's more aggressive looking." The salesman shows up with the fob (great salesman, BTW. I want to do all my business with him. He's been there for years.) I get inside and think, "Wow! There's some serious 3-series going on here." But not in a good way. The M3 is a great car, but it ain't no 5-series, that's for sure! :P I immediately start taking mental inventory of all the stuff I'd be sacrificing if I step down from my 550i Sport. Yes, going to an M3 will be a step down. An M3 is still a 3-series, nonetheless.

I fire up the engine. Hey! This doesn't sound nearly as horrendous as most BMWs on startup. This actually sounds like a healthy engine! I let it run for a bit until the idle settles in. (For BMW owners: The warmup indicator has returned on this machine.) I begin to rev it. I am awashed with the sensual sound of the quad exhausts of a very high strung V8! I smile broadly! My heart races! I rev it more! More! I feel my face flush as a wave of heat builds from my core and propagates outward to my every extremety! More! More! 3K! 4K! 5! More! Each blip of the throttle produces a marvelous buildup and a rapid decline of RPM. It's reminiscent of, well, you get my drift...

We head out for the test drive. As I'm maneuvering out of the lot, there "she" is. A Jet Black M5. I look at her as she sits there. I look at the rear, the sides. It's as if she's saying, "I know you're looking, and I know you want me." Oh yes, she knows...

Back to the M3. I get out into traffic. I can immediately feel the lighter weight. I can also immediately feel the lower torque. I get on the throttle, and it feels like there's some meat missing (and there is), but the speedometer tells a different story. The numbers fall, post haste. In no time at all, the speed limit is but a distant memory. On the way back, I get lucky and have a wide open, clear road ahead of me. It's coming out of a turn. I get going then punch second to see if I could get the tail loose! Nope! She's not having it. It's like having a girlfriend that will let you do whatever you want to her, but she throws up the "stop" sign at that one thing (whatever it may be.) I could tell the traction/stability control immediately intervened. The thing is, she didn't bog me down or cut the juice. She just kept it straight and charged straight and true. It was an astonishing feat. I lost zero momentum. I put my foot in it and she just wails! So this is what the Ferrari guys have been enjoying! I want to possess her.

I pull back onto the lot and head for the parking space. I see "her" again in all her black beautifulness. This time from the front. I have to stare into her eyes as she says, "I'm sure the little girl was fun, but call me when you're ready for a real ride..." Oh yes, I want to ride her. But she is a pricey one. And she is a heavy drinker of the whiskey and the malt. If only she could make due with corn liquor...

The M3 sedan is a gem of a car! I would not be upset to own one. It's practical. Mucho fun! (speaking of that, I totally forgot to mention how nimble it feels.) The ride, dare I say, might be slightly less firm than my 550i Sport. :surprise: It goes exactly where you point it. The steering is on the light side, but it's precise. It'd be a joy to drive on a daily basis. And on that note, let's get back to the little issue of the torque. In my 550i Sport, if I'm not smooth with the shifts, I have to take a beating. In the M3, the lower torque makes a dirty shift more forgiving. The shifters feel (and I imagine are) the same. To risk blasphemy, driving the M3 made me miss my '05 Mustang GT. :surprise:

So, the test drive is over and I head back to my car. She looks at me with those same M5 eyes and says snearingly, "Did you have fun with your little fling?" Yes, dear. :( So much so that I might be going back for more in a couple of days!:P

BTW, there were a few 1-series there, too. It's not nearly as ugly in person as it is in pictures. But where the M3 is that cute little puppy you want to squeeze, the 1 is more of a Pug.
  • Options
    Great review.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Interesting review. When I finished reading it, I needed a cold shower.

I always thought the "M" in the M3 and M5 represented performance... now I understand what it really means...

Rated "M" for mature audiences. ;)

TM
  • Options
    Now that you mention it, after thinking back on it, I can't believe I even wrote that myself! I have NEVER been a BMW fan. Never! But it's a true account of how I felt, right down to the heat wave.

:surprise:
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Sounded good, thanks tony
  • Options
    Based on the writings in this blog it is quite evident why Lexus is number one in South Korea. South Koreans like softer luxury cars more than the types of cars sold by Audi or BMW.

A few weeks back we posted a video of a South Korean automotive journalist performing one of the first road tests of the new Hyundai Genesis sedan, albeit the South Korean market model. Without getting into too much detail, he didn't like it and complained of body roll, mushy brakes, tires not up to the task, etc. It was as if someone gave this guy a Buick when he was expecting a BMW.

Hyundai Motor America was caught off guard by this video and contacted us with their concern. According to them, the U.S.-spec version of the Genesis sedan and the South Korean version are markedly different, with the Yank-ified version tuned much more for a sporty driving experience. The South Korean market, we're told, favors a different kind of large luxury sedan, one that's softer, more luxurious, and to be blunt, more Buick-like.

So we asked Hyundai, "What's so different about the U.S.-spec version?" While they couldn't divulge all the details, we were told that the U.S. version with have a 31% higher spring rate in the front and 13% higher in the rear. In fact, they say the entire suspension will feature many different components geared more towards dynamic driving, including different springs, shocks and tires. Will it live up to Hyundai's promise of a premium sports sedan? We'll let you know after we drive the U.S.-spec Genesis, a car which this South Korean journalist might enjoy a hell of a lot more than the one he drove.

link title
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    here is a 135i video and there are a lot more not sure if some1 posted before
    link title

fifth gear says 135i is aimed at the younger audience but I guess the older guys don't care much ;)

BTW seen the x6 in real i checked it in detail from the out looks amazing to add more IMO super amazing . it was the v6
  • Options
    lexx2lexx2 Member Posts: 5
    My Lexus dealer in Cleveland (Metro Lexus) keeps a profile on me. Drivers licence, insurance and model of loaner car preference. I call to make my scheduled maintenance appointment, bring the car in, and my loaner is waiting. Easy!
    If i'm really lazy, I have them come to my home or office. Lexus takes my car and leaves the loaner. Easy!
  • Options
    Impressive!

BTW... kill the Indians! :P

TM
  • Options
    BMW wants to downsize their engines even the ones in their M-Division.

Staying with BMW’s environmental consciousness, Reithofer has revealed that the company is also looking at shoving downscaled turbocharged units under the bonnets of it M-division cars. There has already been confirmation that the company’sV8 diesel units are being phased out and Reithofer says that BMW will now “ be focusing on its six-cylinder engines as it attempts to improve its emissions and fuel consumption levels in light of stricter regulations set to roll in over the next decade.”

News has surfaced that work on a top-secret new eco-friendly urban runabout has been taking place at BMW. The new eco-mini has not officially been given the “Isetta” badging, and is for now known as Project i – “i” for innovation and not “Isetta” says BMW company chairman, Norbert Reithofer.

As for where it fits into the BMW stable, Reithofer says that it will complement the existing BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce ranges. “We will look at all these things before we decide whether this might be a sub-brand for BMW or Mini, or whether it is a standalone marque,” said Reithofer.

Keeping it clean and green, Project i will possibly make use of advanced electric systems and fuel-efficient petrol and diesel powerplants. Hybrid powerplants are already in the pipeline for BMW’s X6 crossover SUV, and Mini and BMW road cars are available with the option of Efficient Dynamics technologies.

link title
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Hey Tag, did you trade-in or sell your GTI? Or do you still have it?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Traded it in.
    TM
  • Options
    tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    What a great review. From the sound of it perhaps each test drive should come with a warm washcloth. :)

I just ordered Dinan's free-flow exhaust & high-flow air intake for my 550 Sport. They are supposed to arrive in around 7 - 10 days. I feel like a high school kid again waiting for graduation.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Tagman,

I went to my local dealer and saw your car...it had the red leather seats. My initial feeling was that it's a little tight for me. I compared it to the 335i which felt just right for me.

I need to take that baby for a spin to get a better feel.

So I am going to NYC to see all of the cars today and I just purchased a new Canon SD850 IS ELPH camera so I can take some shots of the big guns!

I set the camera to 480 x 600 res to fit into the forum board without getting a fine.

I'll post some tomorrow.

Regards,
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Trying to reconcile good car performance with absurd I-drive, and substandard BMW service and problem dealer attitudes.
    I either pay inflated price at my local dealership or get it elsewhere.
    But BMW, unlike other brands, does NOT provide loaner for warranty service, but lets dealer decide, meaning dealrs don't provide loaner unless you bought it there.
    You're right about M35-- if I did that, I'd get the BMW.
    G35 -- main argument for it is that it has all the features and is very, very cost-effective. But it's sightly smaller than the others and not a much car.
    I'm really conflicted, because the last two years in my BMW I've had to deal with excess air conditioning that is noisy, stupid I-drive, substandard navigation, and burdensome changing of radio stations between satellite and AM. The latter corrected somewhat; the nav still archaic but with real traffic. 535i more powerful, but gas mileage down. I would have preferred a bit more powerful, and not quite the loss in mpg. G35 mileage is quite disappointing.
    Also, my lease turn in experience for BMW was very disappointing.
    Again, I feel I was treated poorly because I did not get the car at my local dealership where I imprudently turned it in.
    --
    If I go BMW again, does anyone reading this now any dealership in So Calif that would sell one at invoice, then lease it with net money factor, without markup?
    There is not enough value in the BMW without trying to get a deal, because the MSRP is too inflated.
    Also, my last one -- 530i -- was in the shop twice for 2 weeks+, for the same safety problem-- passenger air bag sensor.
    BMW sells too many cars and cannot adequately service them. The service writers are insensitive yuppies.
    Problem is I want a rear wheel drive car and don't see much in the way of alternatives.
    But the I-drive shows a culture of arrogance at BMW that extends to dealerships.
    I do want to praise the Internet folks at Pacific BMW in Glendale.
  • Options
    OW,
    I think the 1 is more like the 3 had been before the 3 grew into its current size. If the 135i wasn't so damned cool, I'd easily consider a 3. The 3 is a better value as well, IMO.

I'm glad you've got that shiny new camera!... and all set to the approriate resolution. You are armed and dangerous! :)

I'm now looking forward to your pics, as well as your comments. Have a great time at the show!

TM
  • Options
    Maybe you need to find a BMW dealer that will pay you to drive a BMW. :P

Goodness, you want a desireable car for invoice and no finance markup as well. It's always nice to find a good deal, but if you expect BMW to be a charitible organization, it sort of explains some of the attitude you are encountering. I sure wouldn't want to be your car salesman, if you understand my meaning here.

I respecfully suggest thst you knock that chip off your shoulder before visiting the dealership, allow them to make a small yet reasonable buck from you, and you'll have a better experience!

TM
  • Options
    WOW! That's going to be a lot of fun. How much difference will it make?

TM
  • Options
    Greetings

My experience with bmw is that they are hard to get a deal unless it is a car that is like the sportwagon, which is expensive and not sold very often..They make the better deal if you lease one......From what you said, I think you need to deal with a local dealer, hope for the best and then appreciate what you are buying....From your last experience I would think some of your problems stem from not having a relationship...If I am incorrect on those points, then if I were in your shoes, I wouldn`t buy a bmw......I am fortunate to also have an Audi, and if you have a dealership near by, then you might consider that brand......I personally find the bmw dealership has more car enthusiastic people, and luckily have not had to use the Audi dealership often... Tony
  • Options
    I appreciate the comments, but the BMW dealers are doing quite well, with or without my patronage. The service departments are quite a profit center.
    I'm hopeful this time around to get better service. I know it's not me, or a chip on my shoulder, as others who have various luxury brands have encountered similar problems, esp at my local dealership. My cousin with a mini cooper had his car there for 2 months (!) for brake problems they could not fix.
    I leased my BMW from a terrific, very responsive dealership (Pacific BMW) and recommended them to several friends. They were forthright, quick, knowledgeable and efficient-- the transaction required little of their time or my time..
    ANYWAY, TO GO ON:
    I'm actually considering 535i, because it resolved some key 530i problems (somewhat better NAV w/integrated live traffic; memory buttons for radio and AM-FM-satellite band-switching; voice recognition that actually works). Mileage worse than Lexus GS350 with more value, but lease terms not so great, and BMW has free maintenance (w/brakes!). Still prefer NAV and other user friendly items on Lexus, Infiniti and other alternatives I'm exploring.
    As long as I can avoid my local dealer, Bob Smith BMW, I may give BMW another chance!
    Questions--
    (1) Given the slowness of the auto market, how close to invoice does 530i go?
    (2) Does BMW offer financing deals, or just leasing deals?
    (3) Other than premium, sports, comfort access, navigation, sirius satellite radio, does anyone reading this recommend any options ...especially if they are perosonally familiar with them? If I go beyond the above, I must special order:
    (4) Are head-up display and night vision use mere toys or useful? (Seems odd that night vision visible only in NAV system.)
    (5) Is rear door side impact airbag safe, or a threat to kids?
    (6) power rear &manual side sunshades worth the money to keep the kids happy?
    (7) any other options truly worthwhile and worth the money?
    (8) Last time, I did 24 mo, cheaper per mo than 36. Now, 36 slightly higher. I still think 24 mo, to save buying 4 costly fun-flat tires.
    (8a) FINALLY -- does anyone know what the Money Factor will be for 535i for APRIL for 12000, 24mo, 36 mo, and, possibly for 15000. If I go BMW, I could buy/lease Mon/3-31 or wait until Tues/4-1, if MF different.
    (8b) IF I special order, due to other items, I'd use March MF or June MF, whichever is lower. My guess is June MF would be lower. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Yikes! Good luck to you, whatever you do. I'm on a mobile and on vacation and couldn't begin to dive into so many concerns. Maybe it's my imagination, but you seem sooooo analytical in your approach. I think you really need to have a lot more FUN with your next car purchase! :)

TM
  • Options
    This IS fun.
  • Options
    In that case, my sincere apologies. I obviously misunderstood you. Your questions are certainly legitimate and I should not have attempted to brush them off so hastily. Some of the members here have owned numerous BMWs including the 5-series, so you might get some assistance. Also, there are 5-series threads that could also prove to be helpful. Sorry I can't personally be of much help to you on that car, or I would be glad to assist. :)

TM
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Again, let's ask those who can offer some input to respond to you here: asteinberg, "BMW 5-Series Sedans" #12442, 29 Mar 2008 6:47 pm.

Also, your post in the Leasing Questions discussion is the best place to get feedback on your specific leasing detail questions.
  • Options
    I attended yesterday on a sunnt but brisk day in NY and EVERYONE decided to go with me! I spent about 3 hours and here is my take on the enthusiasm (based on nfinattendance) I saw from the marquees I visited:

Mercedes - The clear leader for crowd attention had the most attendance all day long. Quite impossible to get good pix of the cars...or even breath!
    BMW - Very close to Merc and the top draws were the 750, M3coupe/'vert and the concept CS. The 7 was no slouch either.
    Jaguar -Extremely busy. I got a few of the XK-R...one of the more srtiking cars on display.
    Bentley - very busy...what recession?
    Audi - Very busy but livable compared to Mercedes and BMW. S5 was on disply as well as new A4/5...very heavy interest there. RS8 to die for.
    Lexus - Very busy...LS460H was on display and had one of the nicest cabins in the show.
    Accura - Busy but slower than Lexus and the geramans.
    Infiniti - medium traffic.
    Cadillac - CTS was the big draw as well as the 'Slade but the most striking thing to me was the concept coupe...way nicer than the sedan by far. IMHO.
    Chevy - Malibu and Corvette were jammed with people.
    Mini - Very heavy traffic.
    Chrysler/Dodge - trucks were the big draw as well as the Challenger. 300 also was busy but the general interst was much lowere than the imports.
    Toyota - medium traffic...you could move around and see any car on display
    Honda - medium as was Toyota.
    Pontiac - Solstice and G8 were very...slow for the rest.
    Buick - dead...except for the Enclave.

Here are some pix...I'll post more later.

src="http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk292/circlew/IMG_0073.jpg?t=1206896019">

The camera fit in my pocket and was easy on auto...I only had 1 night to study the manual so not bad with the 8 MP pix. I set it to sharp focus.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    OW,
    Man, that camera takes some sharp pics... and only one day after first using it... Very nice.

Dang, that Bimmer is sleek. The R8 usually impresses me, but I don't think that color combo does the car justice at all.

The rear passenger accomodations in the LS600hL are terrific. The front, however, while nicely appointed, is boring and dated with that all-too-typical center stack arrangement. That's one of the very few cars where I'd much prefer to sit in the back instead of the driver's seat.

Look forward to more pics and comments!

Thanks!

TM
  • Options
    Dang, that Bimmer is sleek. The R8 usually impresses me, but I don't think that color combo does the car justice at all.

The rear passenger accomodations in the LS600hL are terrific. The front, however, while nicely appointed, is boring and dated with that all-too-typical center stack arrangement.

I'm not crazy about the BMW's styling, but the post-Bangle interior is superb. I agree that isn't a great color for the R8. The LS checks all the right boxes as far as materials are concerned, but it just doesn't impress like the A8 and CL do. In some ways it reminds me of the old A8, which had a similarly unimpressive interior. The materials were certainly nice, but it was just a big A4 on the inside. The Lexus is just kind of a big ES. It doesn't move the game forward like the A8 and CL.

The back seat though is very impressive. Only a Maybach will provide better treatment.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pictures....I think you did a good job with the new camera.....Which bmw was that? Thanks Tony
  • Options
    Took a drive by my Lexus dealer today to scope out the LX 570. They had one on the lot for around $83,000. Very nice. To my eye it appeared smaller and sleeker that the old one. I liked it.

Based on what else I saw while there I think this price will start to come down soon. They also had several LS's in stock. One was silver/black, my colors, and very nice. It only had about $1500 in options which brought the price to around $64,500. This particular car was then sale priced at $61,500. It was brand new, not a demo.

I had heard they were being discounted but I had assumed that probably this only applied to loaded vehicles. Appears I was wrong. The poor economy may be sending some real deals our way.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    The poor economy may be sending some real deals our way.

Plus, no doubt, the price of gasoline for these behemoths.
  • Options
    Correcto Mundo!! :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Tony, it's the concept CS.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Here are some more pix.

SLR Mclaren

X6

6-Series 'vert interior...no back seat room!

M3

M3 'verte

S5

S5 inside.

BMW Diesel 6

I'll post more later.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I'm leaning toward BMW535i, but not waiting for special order to get relatively costly head up and/or night vision. Anything with one or both these items is loaded with too many nice-to-have/can't pay for items.
    Frustrating since Lexus GS350 has so many of these individual items as standard once you get a luxury package.
    I'm hoping new NAV is more responsive to voice than old, and that real time traffic helps compensate for having to input destination so inartfully. Prior Lincoln LS V8 before my BMW 530i accepted telephone numbers, names (e.g., Costco); and accepted street address, not city first -- in case you didn't know city...
    --
  • Options
    I'm hoping new NAV is more responsive to voice than old, and that real time traffic helps compensate for having to input destination so inartfully. Prior Lincoln LS V8 before my BMW 530i accepted telephone numbers, names (e.g., Costco); and accepted street address, not city first -- in case you didn't know city...

You just don't buy a German car for the electronics, things like NAV. They aren't any good at that stuff. The Japanese will always be several generations ahead. Acura I believe had the first in car NAV system available in the US all the way back in '96. Once the Germans finally did start offering NAV here, the systems were rather lousy and you had stop and change the CD if you drove too far. VW is the worst of the lot, the Phaeton and Toureg were still using NAV CDs at launch years after the Japanese started offering DVDs.

The portables though are the ones that get the latest features first. The latest Garmins offer real-time local weather, traffic, movie times, gas prices, stock updates and local news. That stuff will be available in iDrive perhaps in 2020.
  • Options
    The front, however, while nicely appointed, is boring and dated with that all-too-typical center stack arrangement

Typical and dated? Design-wise I'll take that over the Lego pieces on the S-class and 7-series as well as the you-know-what A8 center stack. ;)

Material wise the S-class is the clear winner.
  • Options
    Yes, typical and dated. Absolutely! If you don't see that now, I guarantee you will in the near future.

TM
  • Options
    I guarantee you will in the near future.

LOL, no kidding Tag!

I am sure my 2012 IS400 will be also dated by uh... 2020? ;)
  • Options
    Lou, you're being silly. Everything will be dated in the distant future... duh!

Since you don't see that the LS dash is typical and dated TODAY, I suggested to you that in the NEAR future you will understand it better. No reason to twist my words or misquote me.
    As I said, the LS dash is typical and dated... TODAY!... whether you see it or not.

It's boring and common with no particularly unique or special appearance or design attributes.

I'll take the back seat in the LS, thank you.

TM
  • Options
    As I said, the LS dash is typical and dated... TODAY!

I am glad you are speaking for yourself because honestly I beg to differ.