Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    But for a lot less $, the TL, to me, is more car...

I thought the same thing when the RL was released. It's not faster, or more spacious, or better handling, or really any nicer on the inside than the TL. I hated the RL's center stack controls then and still do. The control knob thing just doesn't work for Acura. It's in the wrong place, its hideous, and there seems to be more buttons in Acura interiors than ever before, so it clearly hasn't simplified anything.
  • Options

Great shoulders on the XK, like a car with a good set of well integrated shoulders.

The XK is absolutely one of the best looking cars on the market, beaten only by the DB9 and the Maserati GT.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Howard

It is nice to read about your `doings`, and we have missed you....Yes bmw is arrogant, but not as much as Mercedes...I swear they are the worse...I wish Merc1 was still posting here, as he really knew Mercedes, and was a lively soul....On my front--as you can see- I am trying to improve my Spanish, and Jose is going to help..:) I sort of thought you were laying low, so as not to give your hand away, and make the best deal of the new car` to be`...How are your thoughts coming along? Tony
  • Options
    Hi 2001

You should have a fine time picking a spot out, as there are so many different places....The best ones have Spanish names :) although I picked Miami...The reason we did was we wanted to experience a big city...and it is stimulating...What is best is the people...They are from all over the world, and I like all I have met...Good luck on your search (dream) and unlike Dewey I like to own a place and get immersed in the culture with the people....So far in life that has worked for me, but I have many friends just like Dewey, and they travel the world...Tony
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Hey Tony!

Everything is fine here in the great state of Florida. Just another warm, sunny day, high around 86 degrees. I'll try to survive. ;)

I'm currently thinking a BMW 1 Series Coupe may be the perfect antidote to my 545i. As breathtaking as the 4.4 liter 325 horsepower 32 valve V-8 engine with 4 overhead camshafts and of course, steplessly variable air intake manifold is, I do miss the handling of a smaller vehicle. The 545i simply isn't as tossable as a 3 Series. I would imagine the 1 Series Coupes should present quite a bit of exhilaration, although not as great a differential in handling from the 3 Series to the 1 Series as from the 5 Series to the 3. BMW has simply made the 1 Series too darn heavy for its size!

In the Walmart Super Center parking lot, my wife after enduring my 6 minute search for the perfect parking spot, exclaimed "Why don't you just get a smaller car?" (As if the size of the vehicle had anything to do with my meticulousness!) (Why can some women be so clueless?)

I will let you know what I finally decide on. I still have until the end of July.

I hope you continue to find the North Carolina hills a pleasant place to reside. :)
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    (As if the size of the vehicle had anything to do with my meticulousness!) (Why can some women be so clueless?)

They would give up size for a smaller car to achieve a closer parking spot at the stores! Same result as an enthusiast, different reason!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    It wouldn't matter if I'm parking a 128i Coupe or the 545i sedan. I'm still looking for that "dingless" parking spot. My wife knows if I'm taking her to the shopping mall, she needs to wear comfortable walking shoes just to get from the lot to the mall entrance! ;)

When you like nice vehicles, parking becomes an art. :blush:
  • Options
    Ditto..that's my exercise! Unfortunately, she makes me drop her off first and then I'm off to the boon docks!!! It's the heels thing.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Looks like in a couple of years you will be driving a Lexus hybrid and I will be the happy owner of a MB C class diesel. Will make for some interesting posts, eh?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I love history so thanks for the lesson. Remember that everyone in the U.S. came from somewhere else or at least our ancestors did.

While traveling in Canada a few years ago we visited an old settlement that had been established by the French. They were called Acadians and they were forced out of Canada in the 1700's. Quite a few of them ended up in the U.S. in south Louisiana and are now know as our lovely Cajuns. Who would have guessed? :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Been there, done that.

The sacrifices we make for our beloved toys and spouses! ;)
  • Options
    In the Walmart Super Center parking lot, my wife after enduring my 6 minute search for the perfect parking spot, exclaimed "Why don't you just get a smaller car?" (As if the size of the vehicle had anything to do with my meticulousness!) (Why can some women be so clueless?)

Ugh, don't even get me started on Walmart parking lots. If there's another place where you are more likely to end up with a nice big fat scrape or dent, I haven't found it.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    See, we have more in common than one might have thought...

More Homer-like drooling for the DB9 and Maser... :blush:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    O K Mr H

I had a quick visit up there, and the weather was still winter, but I`l go back soon...Remember a while ago when we were talking about diesel? I asked the other day how our bio diesel plant was coming (the fuel doesn`t smell like diesel) and we are now making fuel....Of course the prices have gone up alot (raw material) and I wondered how we would be competative...Turns out we get a subsidy to make the fuel, and of course I thought it was for the U S A-- no all of it has been exported to Europe ( I`l find out if any gets to our friend Jose)...I have a feeling the big oil companies are going to manufacture a shortage of diesel therefore the price will rise even more than gas...Just my opinion....I really look forward to the next generation of hy-bred, so I might join Dewey with a Lexus--if it is worthwhile...In the meantime I sure look forward to the approaching time when you start to crank up.....Hasta manana Tony :)
  • Options
    "Walmart parking lots"

Well yeah, except this was a "super center" parking lot, meaning HUGE!!

Being that I don't work, I take the wife there only during week days when kids are supposed to be in school and most folks are at work-plenty of parking room, and even then, I always park as far away from the super center as humanly possible, which drives my poor wife absolutely insane!

For some reason I cannot figure out, she seems to think I park the 545i far away from the store because it is a 'big car." :surprise:
  • Options
    I came form the beautiful island of Sicily...the city of Licodia Eubea. Perhaps thats why I'm drawn to the F430?

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I have a feeling the big oil companies are going to manufacture a shortage of diesel therefore the price will rise even more than gas

Unfortunately things don't look good for diesel prices in the US. This is why the truckers are all going nuts. World wide demand for diesel is continuing to grow, and unlike Europe, our refining capacity for diesel is only a small fraction of the capacity for gasoline and other fuels. By the time the diesels get here at the end of the decade, ULSD may be so expensive that their increased MPG will no longer make economic sense.
  • Options
    Yes, you need an engineering degree with a touch of meteorology and demographical and geologiacal mapping to ensure your car is parked in a perfect spot to prevent damage form errant 4-wheel devices with a motor or not from impacting your beautiful prize!

Or, just buy a 6 year old Accord!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Well, the powers that be sure did quickly spoil the diesel dream of TM, myself and some others. Anticipating the efforts of MB and BMW to bring diesel vehicles to these shores, they shamelessly jacked up the price of diesel fuel so much that it almost offsets the improved mileage gains to be had.

There was a column in C&D recently by Csaba Csere (April, 2008, page 9) in which he discussed that to extract more diesel fuel for increased demand in the US, the refineries would have to "re-tool" for hydrocracking, since only a fraction of petroleum can be distilled for diesel fuel using our current method of catalytic cracking. Such a switch would take 5 to 10 years! As Csere ends his column, "Despite the merits of modern diesels, anyone who expects them to solve our energy problems stands to be disappointed." So Tony, big oil has its excuse to keep on producing mostly gasoline and a very limited supply of diesel fuel. The more demand for these diesel vehicles from MB, BMW and others that are imported here, Tony, the higher the price that diesel fuel will go.

Diesel vehicles have been successful in Europe because the refineries there are set up for maximum diesel fuel extraction using the hydrocracking method. Diesel fuel sells for about a buck cheaper per gallon in Europe. It doesn't hurt that the Europeans heavily tax gasoline to encourage folks to buy diesel vehicles.

The only way diesel can work in NA is if the governments highly tax gasoline, making it significantly more expensive than diesel fuel. They must also provide meaningful incentives for new refineries to be built which are designed to extract maximum diesel fuel from petroleum.

Since we know big oil rules the world, look for none of the above to happen.
  • Options
    For some reason I cannot figure out, she seems to think I park the 545i far away from the store because it is a 'big car."

Just don't tell her she could use the exercise :cry: :sick:
  • Options
    Well, the powers that be sure did quickly spoil the diesel dream of TM, myself and some others.

Yeah I'm one of those others. My wife wants something more fuel efficient than the X3, so I was telling her about the GLK and Q5/3 diesels. Unfortunately by the time they get here, diesel in PA will probably cost $4.50 a gallon. :(
  • Options
    "Just don't tell her she could use the exercise."

She can and I won't. LOL!!
  • Options
    If you haven't already, check out page 9 of C&D, April 2008. Very sobering reading.

Big oil in the USA is prepared with every excuse in the book to make sure we continue to use what they want us to use.

Can help pass the time when sitting in the car patiently waiting for the wife to max out the credit card.

I have developed a talent in parking lots for reading with the left eye only. The right eye is always peripherally focused on "dinger alert." You guessed it: I always park with the driver's side next to an island.
  • Options
    If you haven't already, check out page 9 of C&D, April 2008. Very sobering reading.

I was actually more surprised by how poor the fuel economy was overall in their comparison test of cheap hatches in the may issue. The best in test Corolla only managed 28mpg, the rest were in the low to mid 20s. Not good.
  • Options
    We should have known that the diesel deck would be stacked against us. Who are we to go up against "big oil"?

Well, something's got to give-I don't see any ceiling on the price of gasoline, now with the summer driving season almost upon us, who knows how high it can go?

I haven't heard anything significant from the 3 candidates about how to address this crucial issue.
  • Options
    The winning Corolla (fuel economy) only got 28 mpg combined. Undistinguished for a small vehicle.

Instead of going smaller, manufacturers for some insane reason continue to build bigger-the new, huge Accord EX V6 sedan can only achieve 21 mpg combined; this with "variable cylinder management" to maximize mileage. :surprise:
  • Options
    I know that I am in the minority here but I actually think the RL is a great looking car. I especially like the interior, including the dash. On the other hand, the new Audi interior pic that was recently posted reminded me of a 15 year old Taurus. So I guess I am just different.

The only thing wrong with the RL is that it is priced about 10 grand too much. If it had an msrp starting in the low 40's they would sell 3 times as many. Now they have to heavily discount them anyway and that gives them a bad image.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Hi Tony,

You are one of the lucky people on this forum that has a home in Florida to escape winter weather. I probably need to consult you when I need more info on the Miami area. I have visited Miami/Ft Lauderdale about three years ago and I liked it a lot. My client was in Weston ( about 20 min east of Ft Lauderdale), where so many beautiful properties existed, the only thing is that it is a bit too close to the Everglade swamp where those big reptiles with big teeth actually hang out at the sides of the roads on a sunny day :surprise:
    I have also been to Tampa/Clear Water area where the area seems less diversified than Miami. My goal is to get a place within an hour drive of a major airport, on/near water front and major centers. I need to figure out what Floridian do to offset risks of Hurricane damages at reasonable costs (does location matter?).
    I've seen ads for brand new properties in the Ft Myers area for only around 200k which would be good for a cash purchase to avoid hassling with mortgage companies.
    Also, best of all, with a valid US address, I can buy high end cars at much more reasonable prices than what we Canadian currently have to put up with (go to the Import cars from the US thread to see what I mean).
  • Options
    On the other hand, the new Audi interior pic that was recently posted reminded me of a 15 year old Taurus. So I guess I am just different.

I have to tell you I'm looking at the new A4 and a 15 year old Taurus, and I'm really not seeing it. Could you point out how they are similar?

The question is, how do you get the RL to be 10 grand cheaper? Do you take away the AWD system? Do you take out the NAV and all the electronics? Cloth seats? How does that equal 1500 sales a month?
  • Options
    Ft Myers is where I turn off i95 and get on the Florida turnpike--at a price-- and I haven`t explored the area as I am in a rush to get to Miami.....You`l have fun thinking and exploring (with the computer)....As for hurricanes, (if you own your house you don`t have to have a expensive insurance policy)....I have had to cope with them my whole life, and they can be ferocious....If you are careful and have a proper roof--I mean a good one, and the good storm windows, the damage can be controlled....Unfortunately my roof --although sound--could give me some trouble in a big blow....I would love to have a garage for the cars, but in my planning we have a concrete garage(pay) nearby and will put the cars in it....For hurricane Hugo I stayed south of Charleston (20 miles) and I don`t suggest sticking around for that powerful of a storm....It only got up to about a hundred mph sustained, but north of the city it was terrable...Another thing, the pitch of the roof is important...The steeper the pitch the better it will stay on---sort of like an airplane wing....Tony
  • Options
    Hi Lexusguy

One thing that is not going to change for me is paying with a hundred dollar bill and getting a couple of twenties back--and feeling I was treated right-- No question I am not a person who plans the use of the car very efficiently, but I do walk alot either in Miami or Charleston...I think most people are using their cars for important things--like work---child raising--so these big purchases of fuel add up....I don`t have a clue to what is going to happen to change this situation we are in, but something will...Tony
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I saw your message to Tony and you sound like I did a few years back. Since then I bought home on an island just off the coast of Ft Myers. I love it. My wife spends about 5 months there from Christmas to Memorial Day, and I go back and forth every other weekend between there and Boston.

There are a lot of Germans and Canadians in the FT Myers area. I think that property in the U.S. is a good value right now with our weak dollar - take advantage while you can.

Someday I may live there full time, if so I'll get rid of winter tires and SUV's forever! :shades:
  • Options
    Thanks for posting those pics. I was hoping someone would.

My preference is for more symmetry and more of a one piece intergrated design. Both the Audi and the Taurus sort of cut the passenger side off, and the driver side and the passenger side are completely different with no flow. To me this is a jarring incongruity. This is where the similarity between the two lies to my eye.

As far as the pricing of the RL, they are being sold at least 10 grand below msrp now so they might as well price them there. Then they would not have to deal with the discounting stigma. Reading on the Acura RL pricing thread they are saying about $39,500. for the base and about $41,500 for the tech. IMO that is a great car at that price.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    ". . .MB C class diesel."

This one is interesting to me as well. I got my TSX as a place holder in case anyone brings a really good, moderate size diesel to the U.S. in the next few years. By then the C will have shown whether or not the reliability gremlins have been put to rest, and with a nice diesel. . .

OTOH, I put 471 very pleasant miles on my TSX today, partially through the whole length of Death Valley and returned 32.8 mpg. When I stopped for lunch, with ~300 miles on for the day, I was at 34.7. If the current spread continues between diesel and gasoline (even premium, which I use), I'll need at least 40 mpg to have something comparable.

Either way, BMW, Audi, Merc & Audi are starting to bring diesels over. I'll be watching, and it sounds like you will be too.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    My preference is for more symmetry and more of a one piece intergrated design. Both the Audi and the Taurus sort of cut the passenger side off, and the driver side and the passenger side are completely different with no flow. To me this is a jarring incongruity. This is where the similarity between the two lies to my eye.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I actually didn't like Audi's new interior style when it originally debuted in the A6, partially because I really liked the flowing,symmetrical previous A6 interior and I felt it seemed cold compared to that, and partially because it reminded me a lot of the previous gen Lexus GS, which I always thought was lousy on the inside. After spending a lot of time in the A6 though, I've come around on the interior (and the single frame grille as well). I like its focus on the driver and the fact that it doesn't go overboard with weird shapes and odd angles like the 5 series. I think the new Audi look makes the symmetrical lines of an interior like the E-class look boring and dated.

I just don't think a $40K RL will work when the TL Type-S currently stickers at $38K, and I'm sure the next TL is going to get more expensive. Instead, Acura should build a car that is actually worth $50K. Something that looks more interesting than dishwater, and offers real luxury instead of just gizmo-overload.
  • Options
    I am very interested in the new diesels. But not at any cost. If there is too big a premium for the diesel engine....no sale. If there is too big a disparity between the price of diesel and gasoline....no sale. If I don't like the "feel" and the way it drives...you guessed it....no sale.

We'll just have to wait and see. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    "I am very interested in the new diesels. But not at any cost."

Exactly. I fell in love with the new diesels over seven years ago in Europe. Those cars aren't available even yet over here, and when they are the advantage may be gone.

Thank you, California.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    OK. That just tells me that we have different tastes in interiors as well as autos overall. What I can't understand is how anyone can say that one interior looks fresh and new and another one looks old and dated. Purely subjective.

Nearly every possible dash combination has been tried over and over. Car interiors are like neckties. Wide, narrow, paisley, back to wide again. Everything old is new again so old and dated or new and fresh are both meaningless to me.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Ah, I knew you'd say all this:

I wouldn't argue that 335i beats it in performance and handling but material quality? That I had a good laugh...

Honestly, look closer. All Lexuses have center stacks that are covered in thin silver plastic, made to look like aluminum. BMW uses high-quality, soft-touch black plastic, and all of the controls are precise. BMWs also use simple, elegant, effective gauges. Their wood trim is all real, while it was obvious to me where the fake wood was in our previous RX. Their aluminum is also real. Even the driving position is superior.

Take a look at the LC then you'll realized that thing can't compare with the LX in terms of material quality and luxurious features.

I disagree. Look beyond the wood trim. What useful luxury feature does the LX have that the LC does not? I wouldn't be able to justify buying one. The Toyota Land Cruiser is quite comfortable, thanks.

Yes you do, with a passion, just admit it...

I truly don't. They're just not my cup of tea.

BTW, I have to say it would be very hard for me to pick between an IS350 and G35, now that I have thought about it. They're both fantastic sedans. And if you didn't catch it in the Edmunds article, the new A4 (Avant) is absolutely gorgeous, too!

There is a white A5 coupe that just landed on my street, in fact. It drives by my house several times a day, and I always have to stare. What a beauty.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    The design issue is a personal one, but in materials quality you're simply incorrect. This is how they rank:

1. A4 - everything is perfection. From the simple ergonomics to the precise construction to the top-notch wood, it doesn't get any better, at this price.
    2. 3 Series - all business, but in a good way. You won't find any cheap plastic here.
    3. C-Class / IS (tie) - the C is built like a small tank, but the materials are a bit too somber. Conversely, the IS's materials are complex and artful, but the construction isn't as good.
    5. TL - nice, but it's fallen a bit behind.
    6. G - also nice. None of the cars in this class have cheap interiors any more, which is great, but the G can't quite keep up.

• Options
    Wait until you really see it. It's like a work of art on the inside, when taken with simple colors (white interior with black trim, perhaps?). More elegant than I had ever thought from a picture.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    But in all honesty almost any car looks beautiful with pictures that have gone through such extensive workshop photo efforts.

The difference being that the XKR also looks absolutely incredible on the street. ;)

I saw my fourth XF today. I've only seen one SV8; this was a gray non-supercharged model. Nevertheless, I couldn't stop staring. Really fantastic looking car. I was just picturing a BRG XF SV8 in my mind, because that's what I would get. It's on my list.

• Options

Most beautiful cars in the world?

Yes, the S5 really is that good. Have you seen it in person?

• Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Honda/Acura had its 2009 dealer meeting in New Orleans last week, and a little birdie that claims to have attended has whispered some details about the 2009 Acura TL in our ears. According to our anonymous tipster, the '09 TL range will consist of two models. The front-wheel-drive car will be powered by a 3.5L V6 delivering 280 horsepower. The step-up version will feature SH AWD and have a 3.7L, 300-horsepower V6 underhood (presumably the same one used in the MDX). We're told the latter car is not a Type-S, by the way -- that trim level goes back into hibernation with the arrival of the '09. Word is, the car "looks amazing." The TL in its current state is Acura's best-looking vehicle, so our curiosity is definitely piqued.

http://www.autoblog.com/

Well it's about time that they did this. TOO LATE in my opinon. I l think Acura's competition is going to do what Eric Croc (founder of McDonalds) once said he does to his competition:

If your competitor is drowning why not just shove a hose in his mouth.

The competiton will only get better in a few years while Acura is trying to catch up with its upcoming potent AWD vehicle in the form of the TL.
  • Options
    yet M-B has a well deserved reputation on passenger diesel engines over here.

Even today MB is the renowned leader for diesel technology despite the tempting offerings from VW/Audi and BMW.
  • Options
    I really look forward to the next generation of hy-bred, so I might join Dewey with a Lexus--if it is worthwhile...

Good choice! Assuming the new Lexus Prius will be as good as it is rumored to be and as long as there is a big distinction from Toyota's new Prius(lithium ion versus nickel carbide batteries).
  • Options
    Wide, narrow, paisley, back to wide again. Everything old is new again so old and dated or new and fresh are both meaningless to me.

I have three decades of ties in my closets just in case "old" becomes "new" again . And so far those fat synthetic polyster paisley ties that my wife keeps on trying to throw out have not come back in style.

Similarily I still keep a quarter century old MB300D and so far its interior and exterio has not become "in style again". :(
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Yes, indeed. I spent a bit of time in the S5 at the NEIAS. I also stood between the two S5s (one black, one white) and the R8. Hurt my neck looking back and forth! ;)

Yes, my current list for potential next car:

Audi A/S5
    Jag XF/XK
    Next Gen TL?
    BMW 3
    And more...

Of course, a lot depends upon our economy and my/wife's employment situation... :confuse:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Most beautiful cars in the world?

Ok, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder...IMO, while the Audi S5 is a "handsome" car, it is not in the same category as the Aston Martin, Maserati, and Jag convertible...IMO, These 3 cars are exotic, sexy, and are much better designed than the Audi, but the S5 is a nice looking car.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    and the R8. Hurt my neck looking back and forth! ;) LOL

As for my current list for potential next car well it depends on many things but my list are.
    1.X5 had many issues a risky buy
    2.X6 new model new engine never know the first year model
    3.RX reliable but old next gen on the way
    5.cayenne always heard its the best handling but ???
    4.FX just had a redesign which is yet to see in person infiniti is definitely getting better

By the way a new x6 just came next to my street in person IMO is even better than a aston vanquish which is also next to my street whenever i see the x6 I just keep looking and looking and... :blush: :surprise: