Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi houdini1

I guess I can only speak for myself, but for me prestige has really been on the lower rungs of my desires....If a car drives in a special way--one I can feel and sense--then it goes to the top of the list...I either appreciate a spartain interior with just the basics or an interior that has very good materials and is tastefully put together,,,The Audi is not nearly as popular a car as say Mercedes, but because of that there aren`t that many around so it is exclusive in that sense, and I like that..Unfortunately the American builders have chosen to produce in mass quantities therefore for the longest time they really haven`t had anything to compare to the Europeans,,,I like the new Malabu though.....We never know when we may be getting a new car, as Jose can attest to, and I firmly believe the fuel costs are going way up, therefore I am following the development of fuel efficiency, but am not going to spend five extra thousand to save a few hundred dollars a year.....I guess the word `prestige` may take on a new meaning shortly Tony
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    No argument with any of that. I think one of the best looking new cars in the Jag XF. And the price is right..under 50K. That V8 engine would be a gas guzzler though and Jag has been plagued by reliability problems for years.

This one almost looks good enough to take a chance on. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    If a car drives in a special way--one I can feel and sense--then it goes to the top of the list...

Car and driver on the new BMW X-6...5K pounds and this??

Did we mention that the X6 xDrive50i laps the Nürburgring nearly as quickly as a previous-generation E46 M3? It does.

Perhaps this over-the-top bimmer has a place after all! Do you need a sport SUV or is it a CUV??

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Lexusguy this is the very best news I heard from Acura in a long, long time.

A new RWD platform for a two seater Acura sounds like a perfect car (S2000 will be discontinued and sold as an Acura instead).

There are three things that will save Acura:

New RWD platforms that are not shared with Honda, more potent engines and cars that will compete in higher segments (7 series and S Class segment).

Sounds like Acura is on the right track and I see little negativity with such news.
  • Options
    full Jag-speed ahead! I just have to confirm with Warren Buffet and Suze Orman (can I afford it?)...

Based on how excited you are about a new Jag this will be the best of best investments for you. Financially maybe not but it will be a great investment in terms of giving you the dividends of future road pleasures.
  • Options
    A BMW X6! Thanks but no thanks.

I've never ever been interested in SUVs or CUVsuntil I saw the picture below.

No wonder Audi is not thinking of introducing a Audi A6 Allroad Wagon. The AUdi Q5 would make such a wagon redundant.
    A TDI Audi Q5 would be a perfect replacement for my wife's BMW 5 series touring.

Take a look at the interior shot. This car is a beaut:

link title
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    That V8 engine would be a gas guzzler though and Jag has been plagued by reliability problems for years.

The XF V8 is rated at 16/25. Unfortunately thanks to the mostly carryover chassis, its several hundred pounds heavier than the XJ, which hurts fuel economy. As of late, Jag's reliability has been superb. Now on my 4th Jag since 1996, I've seen the huge quality improvements that have been made first hand. Each new Jag has been much more reliable than the last. To date my '07 XK has been flawless. They've come a long way since the days at British Leyland. I don't think buying a new Jag is really taking a chance, at least as far as reliability is concerned. Depreciation is another matter. Buying a Benz out of Alabama, that's taking a chance.
  • Options
    guess I can only speak for myself, but for me prestige has really been on the lower rungs of my desires....If a car drives in a special way--one I can feel and sense--then it goes to the top of the list...I either appreciate a spartain interior with just the basics or an interior that has very good materials and is tastefully put together,,,

Tony,

my thoughts exactly! I would drive a Honda or VW tomorrow if it drove like a BMW. Prestige means nothing to me whatsoever. Drivetrain and Chassis is what dictates my decison in terms of buying any car. Being given dealership services that mimic a first class airport lounge is of no importance to me whatsoever. Give me a competent blunt and non-phony mechanic in a gritty shop and I am a very happy customer.

Nothing else!
  • Options
    Maybe you would understand why some buy the LX over the LC if you examined your own motive for buying an Audi over a Volkswagen.

Unlike Lexus which shares platforms with many Toyotas there is not a single Audi that shares a platform with VW except for the Q7 (VW Tourareg).
  • Options
    Not I, but my daughter is very desirous of a new suv....She also would like --and gets--alot of other things, but it is getting close.....I saw a gm produce, maybe an arcadia (not sur of the word or spelling) but to my eye it looked like a scaled down version of a Suburban.....does anyone have any thoughts on it? I would probably get the rx Lexus just off the top of my head, but I should keep an open mind in this very early stage...as sometime early stages develop quickly into action Tony
  • Options
    Well I haven`t ever been in the first class section of an airport, so I guess the new dealerships look like that eh :) I`m with you, in that I appreciate being with a talented individual that knows my car...Now a day you never get to meet them and I think that is a shame....I like doing business and being able to show my appreciaton to the person who had done it...Dewey you guys up in Canada must be enjoying this huge commodity boom...Man the prices are soaring, and you know the old saying High inflation=Big opportunities.....I personally purchased many bags of peet moss recently, and though of yourself.. Tony ps I miss blockisland guy, he being up around if not in Maine always had something intersting to say, as you and many other posters here do
  • Options
    All I can say is WOW...this is a stunner for sure.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Is maintenance include over the warranty period for Jag these days?

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Tony, you got the spelling right. The wife is looking at the Enclave or Acadia for her next ride. She has an '03 GMC Yukon Denali. The Enclave has a very desirable interior but she also likes the Acadia and also the CX-9 Mazda which wins the handling award in his CUV class from what I read.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,760
    I believe that Jag maintenance is for the first year/12k miles. But, to be sure, to the Bat 'Net, Boy Blunder!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    ot a single Audi that shares a platform with VW except for the Q7 (VW Tourareg).

If I am not mistaken, A3 shares the same platform (Volkswagen A platform) with the VW Golf, Jetta and New Beetle.

Source: Volkswagen A platform
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    …gotta ask every1… 1.Mercedes where is all the benz made in?…

M-B produces the M-B Vito light van in Vitoria, Spain. Not exactly a luxury van, but she is top in her category.

link title

link title

Vito's are usually transformed into high-capacity-passenger taxi cabs or into compact-sized motor homes. The latter are well appreciated by sporty people, with or without small kids.

The most usual alternative to Vito's are the Renault Traffic light vans, which are made in London and Barcelona.

link title

link title

According to Wikipedia, Renault Trafic "has been available in Mexico since early May 2007. This is the only country in America in which it is offered."

Is Vito available in North America?

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    That's what I thought. Thanks. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    The A3/TT/GTI. is a similar platform from different components. The TT is 69% aluminum. If you look underneath, they would look similar, but the materials are vastly different. The Q7/Toureg only share 15% parts.

Tag, please don't leave. I'd offer you a 1 hour test drive in a new R8 if it would help you stay. All you need to do is come to Dallas. [All I need to do is find a demo R8. I think it's been hiding out with the Easter bunny, Santa Clause, and the mid-east peace agreement].

I'm switching teams, and starting over at BMW on monday. Wish me luck.

Tag, you ain't going nowhere buddy. Blkhemi and I have drawn up a legal agreement. There is a restraining order keeping you from going more than 7 days, away from this thread. Brightness is your parole officer! :blush:
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Do you need a sport SUV or is it a CUV??

bmw call it SAC ;)

C&D were complaining about the v8 that

The additional midrange torque of the twin-turbo V-8 is certainly noticeable, but is it really worth the extra $10,500?

BMW officials say the difference between the two powertrains becomes far more noticeable above 100 mph. Again, is that worth an additional 10 grand?

The twin-turbo V-8 emits a surly burble—although we think the old naturally aspirated V-8 from the X5 4.8is sounded better—but frankly, it didn’t feel as strong as we expected

Now this last compliant doesn't sound nice as they say

Another small complaint with the V-8 version is that when taking off from a stop there’s a noticeable lag in power after hitting the throttle. As you wonder whether or not you’ll merge safely in front of that approaching car, the turbo boost hits, and you get much more thrust than expected. The twin-turbo six doesn’t exhibit this “nothing, nothing, too much” behavior
  • Options
    Actually i wanted to know where the other classes were built

S,C,CL,CLS,ML,GL,
  • Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Unlike Lexus which shares platforms with many Toyotas there is not a single Audi that shares a platform with VW except for the Q7 (VW Tourareg).

Not sure you are correct about Audi, but if you are correct, that is nothing to be proud of. Sharing platforms, thus spreading R&D costs is an efficency that leads to making a ton of money! ;)
  • Options
    She wants a CUV that has a third row. She wants to downsize from the SUV but needs the room (row3) for jockeying kids around...and better economy.

She doesn't like the X5..the third row might fit 5 year olds at the max.

So, the GM Lambda twins and the CX-9 are on the list. I am trying to see if I can entice her for the MDX but she is very frugal. I am waiting for GM to fix the tranny in the Acadia before even considering it as it has a hard time finding the right gear when asked according to the reviews I've read.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    The new Pilot is supposed to be much improved. Sort of a poor man's MDX. She might want to take a look.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Worth a look ..thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    you guys up in Canada must be enjoying this huge commodity boom...

Depends where you live in Canada.

In my province of Ontario the economy resembles Michigan and that is not too good. Auto manufacturing plays a big role here in our Province. And here in Toronto where I live the financial industry is a really big industry. And as you know the financial industry is not exactly the most prosperous industry right now.

Now if I lived in oil rich Alberta my opinion about a boom would be confirmed.
  • Options
    Sharing platforms, thus spreading R&D costs is an efficency that leads to making a ton of money!

How unfortunate then that your Lexus LS is not based on a humble Toyota platform. If that was the case Toyota would be even more prosperous. Or maybe not? Would you honestly buy a LS if there was a much cheaper Toyota LS available?

Yes the A3 and Q7 share platforms with VW. How sad it is that a majority of Audis have their own platforms just like your Lexus LS has its own platform. Sad indeed!! :P

I dislike most redbadged engineering! I want the real McCoy and nothing but the real McCoy. Nothing but a real luxury car and if I want a VW or Toyota platform I will simply save my money and buy a VW and Toyota instead. Unfortunately in my particlular case Toyota or VW would not be as profitable.
  • Options
    Edmunds currently has a featured review on the 2009 Pilot.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    but to my eye it looked like a scaled down version of a Suburban.....does anyone have any thoughts on it?

The difference between the two is the Acadia and its other Lambda ilk are unibodies, and the Suburban and the other GMT900 trucks are traditional body-on-frames. Unless you really need the towing ability, I don't see a reason to get a Tahoe or Suburban over an Enclave or Acadia. All of them though are shockingly good products that make the Expedition and Chrysler Aspen especially look out of the last century. The Ford Flex should be interesting, and the Mazda CX-9 is supposed to be superb. The RX really isn't in the same class, it competes with the SRX.
  • Options
    Actually i wanted to know where the other classes were built

S,C,CL,CLS,ML,GL,

Check the M-B reviews on Newcartestdrive.com. On page 4 of all their reviews, they list the town and country where every car they test is built.
  • Options
    How unfortunate then that your Lexus LS is not based on a humble Toyota platform. If that was the case Toyota would be even more prosperous. Or maybe not? Would you honestly buy a LS if there was a much cheaper Toyota LS available?

While there isn't a Toyota cousin of the LS in this market, I don't know about the JDM. Toyota has 10x the number of cars over there that they do here ('50s GM market share will do that), so I don't know if there actually is a relative of the LS with a Toyota badge on it or not. I certainly wouldn't be surprised. It also wouldn't make me think less of the LS460 as a car.
  • Options
    Is Vito available in North America?

That would be a no. Most Americans have no idea that super prestigious M-B makes trucks, vans, and mini-hatchbacks, and I think M-B wants to keep it that way.
  • Options
    Edmunds currently has a featured review on the 2009 Pilot.

Is it just me or is the center stack in that thing Honda's worst yet? It's like they fired buttons at it out of a shotgun.
  • Options
    From LLN:

At 2.81 meters (9.22 feet), the wheelbase is the longest in its segment – creating a roomy interior on board the Audi Q5. Measuring 4.63 meters long (that's 182.28", making it perfectly sized and now definitely at the top of the list to replace our X3) and 1.88 meters (6.17 feet) wide, the Audi Q5 is just 1.65 meters (5.41 feet) high, giving it a sporty appearance. 19-inch wheels further bolster this look.

The Q5 shares a platform with the A4 and A5. The platform's layout will make it possible for Audi to offer a full range of engines, meaning that the brand’s various FSI-equipped four and six-cylinder engines, plus some high efficiency diesel models will be offered. It’s even possible that the 4.2 litre V8 will find its way under the hood for an S-line version.

The Q5 has an updated version of the quattro all-wheel-drive system with a six-speed manual or the new seven-speed DSG gearbox. It comes equipped stahdard with hill-descent control and an adjustable air suspension. The Q5 is a five-seater, unlike the seven-person Q7.

The Q5 can be ordered with a number of luxury features. These include the Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera, Audi lane assist (the lane departure warning system) and Audi side assist, which warns of hazards when changing lanes. Adaptive cruise control maintains a constant distance between the performance SUV and the vehicle in front.

The interior seems even nicer than the A4/A5 on which its based, and makes the GLK look like a piece of junk on the inside.

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/q5/audi-q5-1.jpg
    http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/q5/audi-q5-2.jpg
    http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/q5/audi-q5-3.jpg
    http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/q5/audi-q5-10.jpg
    http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/q5/audi-q5-9.jpg

http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/campaigns/glk-class-10/interior.jpg
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    … and I think M-B wants to keep it that way.

:);)

I cannot open the four fist links from your former post. A big "Forbidden" appears in the screen when pressing the lines. A nice M-B interior coming from the last link, on the other hand.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    I dislike most redbadged engineering

You are a minority. The market has spoken and Toyota/Lexus seems to be addressing peoples needs, wants, and desires. They have the "right formula". They seem to know what they are doing. I will side with them on this topic.
  • Options
    I have never been that high on the Pilot interior. However, it does look better than the GLK.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Thanks! C/D also. I wonder if they all do the tests at the same time?

Looks like a decent upgrade but the body style hasn't changed much.

My wife has three priorities

1. Reliability - Honda would be near/at the top
    2. Appearance- Honda near the bottom
    3. Ease of Use/Utility - Honda would do well here also.

The appearance winner would be Enclave, CX-9 and Acadia in that order. Now she needs to drive them to make her choice. She mentioned the Honda interior was a little boring from first view in the review photos.

Secretly, I prefer the CX-9 driving advantage over the others!

Thanks again.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Utilitarian means ugly sometimes!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    She doesn't like the X5..the third row might fit 5 year olds at the max.

Most women do like x5s :confuse:

CX9 looks very long...

Well anyway choose what you prefer
  • Options
    Thanks very useful site. Its has lots of info
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    You are a minority. The market has spoken and Toyota/Lexus seems to be addressing peoples needs, wants, and desires. They have the "right formula".

Not sure what your statement has to do with re-badging.

Yes, Toyota sells alot of vehicles, yes Lexus is popular in the US. But rebadging is not necessarily the right formula unless the shared platform is the right platform. Do you seriously think that the ES/ Camry platform is particularly fantastic?
  • Options
    certainly wouldn't be surprised. It also wouldn't make me think less of the LS460 as a car.

It wouldn't make the Lexus LS460 less of a car but a far cheaper priced Toyota LS would make a Toyota far more of a car. Badges, more exclusivity in terms of dealership services, better wood trim and materials may matter to many folks but when I buy a car I buy the car and not the image. And to me the essence of any car is its platform and drivetrain. But for others a car is how pretty it looks , how neat its electronic gizmo are and last but not least how nice and cordial and polite and considerate and empathetic those customer service reps are . To each his own I guess.
  • Options
    The next generation Lexus ES willl not be based on a Toyota platform. Obviously platform sharing is very profitble but it can go only so far in terms of duping customers.

Jaguar realized that. Audi realized that. Lexus realizes that. And now Acura will be introducing RWD platforms that are not shared with Hondas.

What makes BMW and MB the top global luxury brands? The fact that their marques are not dilluted by platform sharing with a humbler brand. BMW and MB are the real McCoy in terms of premium branding. Nobody comes close not even Audi in terms of sales (ofcourse as I mentioned sales is not a benchmark of excellence) ;)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,760
    Greetings from Washingmachine, DC: We drove from Boston to DC today in the TL (four of us, trunk filled to the gills. A few traffic jams, so averaged 54mph and 28mpg. Most of the time, TL sailed effortlessly at 80-85mph clips. FWD or not, the TL is just a fine piece of work...) .

In a not too surprising traffic jam (one of a few) on I95s in northern Jersey, I was able to creep along and next to a Maserati Quattroporte and then a previous gen Jag XK8. I'm fairly sure I could actually see the gas gauge sinking in the Maser as we idled/crept along... Seeing the prior gen XK got me thinking, no way could I take la familia con equipaje on a trip like this in an XK. Bummer. For the kids that is! Solo/with Evil Wife road trips only in the future! :P

Saw a lot of Honda Pilots (as well as too many TLs. Not limited production, huh?) on the road. Off to the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles tomorrow...

Have a lovely week, all. And please, no platform sharing! :blush:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    BMW and MB are the real McCoy in terms of premium branding

I thought things like this did not impress a purist like you. You should be bragging about all those taxi cabs and rental fleets made up of MB and BMW in....where ever.

Reminds me of all those has been or never was entertainers trying to make it here in the U.S. When they flop here people always say, "But they were big in Europe". ;)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    gcluv09gcluv09 Member Posts: 4
    Though I know this is a stupid question.
    Is Lexus considered a luxury car brand in the U.S market?
    And what's the first thing that pops into your head when you hear "Lexus"?
  • Options
    Though I know this is a stupid question.
    And what's the first thing that pops into your head when you hear "Lexus"?

1 Yes it is considered a luxury brand.

2. The first things comes my head is when are other luxury brands going to be as reliable as a lexus, and i wonder when lexus is going to bring a competitor to compete with cars like cayenne x5 x6.
  • Options
    Seeing the prior gen XK got me thinking, no way could I take la familia con equipaje on a trip like this in an XK. Bummer. For the kids that is! Solo/with Evil Wife road trips only in the future!

The back seats have never been an XK strong suit. If your kids have legs, forget it.
  • Options

Depends on your definition of what a luxury car brand is. In terms of prestigiousness and cachet, I would peg the Lexus brand in this market just below leader BMW (leader of the mainstream luxury brands, that is), about equal with M-B and above the rest. 10 years ago the leader would've been M-B, but in their quest to have a Mercedes in every driveway with products like the C230 hatch, they have done terrible damage to the prestigiousness of the brand. A lot of Mercedes products as of late have also become much too flashy and vulgar looking to be considered prestigious in the more classical sense. It's always the S-class that has the blacked out windows and chromed out wheels, never the 7.