Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I am not attempting to encourage her to be a race car driver, but the skills that are taught in that special class are phenomenal.

If she knows not to text message while driving, she'll already have an advantage vs. the rest of the teenage drivers out there.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    That's funny... But also not, as it is so true!

The last statement from the wireless carrier showed an unimagineable 6,000 text messages (both sent and received... about 3K each)!!!! That's for a single month! How is that even possible? Yet she still is involved in tons of activities and athletics, and gets almost all A's in school. Go figure. :confuse:

TM
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    See? Texting helps you stay connected! Now, they need a hands free texting device for those drivers that must keep texting...wait, no! Isn't it called a cell phone? I guess that's old tech by now!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    The Evil Wife decided that our 12 year old daughter should have a phone as she is, of course, becoming more independent and we rely on her to help with our 9 year old son after school. No problem, I agree. EW wants to pay the extra $5/month for a certain amount of texting. Knowing my wife, I asked her, "Do you want daughter to have texting so that you can text her a message noting that you want her to call you?" The answer, and logic, dictated that we are not paying the extra $5/month...

Yes. I am that cheap.

And, OW, you echo the sentiment I often say to daughter as she gazes lovingly upon her red phone: "It's just a phone!"

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    The bottom line is that Lexus knows what people want and they offer it to them. It's only the matter of time for Lexus to take over the number one luxury selling spot in Japan just like they did in US, Korea and Taiwan.

That's what I hear from so many Lexus fans.

"It's only a matter of time..." Well, sorry to break it to you but Lexus will not be increasing infinitely. The German brands are moving as fast, if not faster, as/than Lexus ever has and ever will. Lexus kicked them in the butt in the '90s and now they're moving. Every month you see a new article about some ground-breaking technology BMW develops. Each year Audi releases a new style icon, a class-topping interior or an award-winning engine. Mercedes-Benz is in the middle of an intense product push that features its best lineup in history. You can't sit there and say "it's only a matter of time" until Lexus reaches #1, because it's simply not true. Yes, they could reach #1, but there's also the same chance that they won't.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    That the new Audi A4 2.0T will have 211hp and 258lb ft of torque.

That is an increase of 11hp and 51lb ft of torque.

260lb ft, in a 2.0L four. Who would've thought?

The new A4 also weighs only 44lbs more than its predecessor. Coupled with their new seven-speed DSG, to be introduced in the Q5 this fall, well... you do the math.

Expect 6 second 0-60 times. If not better. Making it, quite possibly, the quickest four-cylinder luxury sedan ever (excluding non-luxury cars like the EVO and STi).

The 3.0TDI A4 is also a possibility for the US, with a 3.0TT S4 around the corner.

Three more reasons for Audi to KILL THE 3.2 ALREADY!

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    Isn't it called a cell phone? I guess that's old tech by now!

You mean talk on a cell phone? And while you're at it, you can read the latest serialized Fitzgerald down at the apothecary, grandpa! :)
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Here is today's conundrum: "S" Class sales are down 27% but Harley Davidson Hog sales are down only half as much at only 14%. (Sources: Automotive News on MB sales; yesterday's NYT or WSJ on HD sales.)

What gives? Hog customers in todays economy have more resilency than the S Class guy??? Twice as much (i.e., 27% vs. 14%)?? This defies all conventional wisdom.
  • Options
    To you regarding who sells the most (unless, of course, you are an employee or sharelholder!)? To paraphrase a credit card commercial, "What's in your garage?"

What does owning one of the top sellers mean? You're as smart as the masses? You're a sheep?

This argument (discussion) will never end, and other than facts (e.g. actual number of units sold), what's the point?

Carry on...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    What gives? Hog customers in todays economy have more resilency than the S Class guy??? Twice as much (i.e., 27% vs. 14%)?? This defies all conventional wisdom.

Seems pretty logical to me...S Class probably averages 100K, Harley significantly less and uses a whole lot less GAS :) ....The higher the ticket item, the steeper the decline...I am sure everyone has their own reasoning on this, but it makes sense to me.
  • Options
    To you regarding who sells the most (unless, of course, you are an employee or sharelholder!)? To paraphrase a credit card commercial, "What's in your garage?"

What does owning one of the top sellers mean? You're as smart as the masses? You're a sheep?

This argument (discussion) will never end, and other than facts (e.g. actual number of units sold), what's the point?

Carry on...

Well, to a large extent that 's why we're all here... to discuss what sells the most, or what performs the best, or what is the best in terms of design, or perhaps innovation, amongst digital cameras and cell phones, and the Super Bowl and the World Series, and Tiger Woods, and alternative fuels, and rum cake and Kona coffee! ;)

The latest round was just to clarify that just because someone sold the most units, it didn't mean that they also made the best rum cake! :P

TM
  • Options
    Three more reasons for Audi to KILL THE 3.2 ALREADY!

I'm sure there's going to be a corresponding boost in power to the 3.2. Now that M-B, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and Cadillac all have 300ish hp out of their sixes, Audi is going to have to catch up.
  • Options
    I'm sure there's going to be a corresponding boost in power to the 3.2. Now that M-B, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and Cadillac all have 300ish hp out of their sixes, Audi is going to have to catch up.

Yes, LG.

And, it's very cool how 6-cylinder engines have been progressively developing into muscle engines.

Considering remarks out of BMW recently, (and the already potent current 4-cyl. 2.0L TC FSI, for example) the same will be said more and more for 4-cylinder engines moving forward.

TM
  • Options
    Considering remarks out of BMW recently, (and the already potent current 4-cyl. 2.0L TC FSI, for example) the same will be said more and more for 4-cylinder engines moving forward.

Right, but the key is to keep them fuel efficient while increasing their power or there's no point. The Acura RDX's 4 banger for example has plenty of power, but it guzzles gas so badly that they should've just used a V6.
  • Options
    Agreed..I went to the beach yesterday and the black CLS 55 AMG parked by the boarwalk was amazing. I felt that way about the 2001 S55 (last year) and the CLS looks even better.

Hats off the Merc.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Eh, what was that, sonny? Come again..?

Regards,
    Granda Circle OW
  • Options
    Right, but the key is to keep them fuel efficient while increasing their power or there's no point. The Acura RDX's 4 banger for example has plenty of power, but it guzzles gas so badly that they should've just used a V6.

That engine is a hog, IMO. The solution is definately to keep them fuel efficient, but another part of the equation that I don't think has been mentioned is that if they can deliver a hp and torque rating and all the while weigh less than a comparably powerful yet heavier engine... than that lighter weight itself (even if just as thirsty) becomes part of the fuel savings potential as well... but not if they end up in obese vehicles, of course.

TM
  • Options
    Heck, Buick did 300 ponies in 1987

The final kick of the Grand National was its evolution into the even more outrageous GNX in 1987. It was like the last bright flash of a meteor just before it burns out. The GNX was rated at 300 horsepower, and Car and Driver (5/87) reported a zero to 96 (60)) of 4.7 seconds. Top speed remained controlled at 200 km/h (124 mph).

These guys are way behind. ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    These guys are way behind.

HA!... LOL...

Turbocharged, intercooled, 3.8 L... The factory rating was 276hp@4400 and 360ft-lbs@2600 of torque. (likely a conservative rating, too.)

TM
  • Options
    reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Actually Lexusguy, you hit it on the nose! Audi has confirmend the following engine for the new A4/S4 : 3.0 TFSI with 333bhp (3.0 V6 FSI Valve-Lift with Twin Screw Four-Lobe (Twin Vortices Series) TVS Eaton Compressor with 0-62 around 4.9 seconds if I remember. It will be one the best engines to come to market next year.
  • Options
    Heck, Buick did 300 ponies in 1987

These guys are way behind.

Well, to be fair, adding a turbo charger or two throws all of the power rules out the window. The Skyline and Supra were both capable of absolutely monstrous power from their 2.6L and 3.0L straight sixes with enough boost pressure. What's really impressive is Porsche pulling 400+hp out of normally aspirated sixes. The VQ37HR is a very impressive V6, but it's no match for Porsche's 3.8L boxer.
  • Options
    That engine in an S4, if available as a convertible, would make a sweet ride.

DSG or manual, or both?

TM
  • Options
    Awww, gee. You just had to mention the Super Bowl... :sick:

And my Husky girls just bowed out of the Final Four after the boys took a dive in the first round. Tough winter for me, sports-wise!

Ok, Sox. You're up. (Celts are fab, I've just never been a big NBA fan).

• Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    went to the beach yesterday and the black CLS 55 AMG parked by the boarwalk was amazing. I felt that way about the 2001 S55 (last year) and the CLS looks even better.

I saw a silver CLS brabus bit turbo v12 I wondered isn't the amg enough for the guy that instead he got the brabus kit some people!!! :sick:

Just saw it in you tube top speed is 362kmh !!!!!!! 225mph :surprise:
  • Options
    Well, well, well...

THIS? The upcoming Lexus compact hybrid?

I just don't believe it. But, then again....

TM
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Hi Tony, and the other poster fellows!

Speaking about Ferraris, I posted some days ago I didn't like so much the Modena. I'd rather like F40's and F50's, for instance. Let's have again a look to them!

link title

:surprise:

link title

:D

link title

and…

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1iSiSjZ4k

;)

Regards,
    Jose

PS: I did not directly posted the images because of their size. I know there is taking more time to go to and fro by pressing the links but… you may excuse me, it would have taken more time to resize them :blush:
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Don't you like to do the best possible job in your line of work?

Being as a design engineer I can sort of understand the way Honda engineers think. The bottom line is that design is just a process of compromising. We design airplanes this way and surely the cars are designed by the same train of thoughts as well. What's the result of a compromised design? How about a good all-arounder which doesn't excel in anything but is decent in about everything. Does that sound familiar to you? Because that's called a Honda/Acura.

Another important factor about a compromising design is the price. If Acura is willing to make the TL with a MSRP of around $45k like the 3-series then I am pretty sure they can do a much better job.

I am not here to defend Acura but as a Honda/Acura fan ever since I started driving naturally I want to see them creating a worthy 3-fighter so I'll be able to justify ditching the dark side (Lexus). However, I just don't see that happening anytime soon so for the time being I'll have to stay put as being the Darth Vader...
  • Options
    Yes, they could reach #1, but there's also the same chance that they won't.

So pretty much you are saying that the European could catch Lexus but there's also the same chance that they wouldn't.

Got it! ;)

Since this argument is pointless now we'll just have to wait and see what will happen. Yeah there are news left and right about the Europeans coming out with new technologies, however, what do you think they are chasing after? A standing still target or a moving target? I think we all know the answer of that one...
  • Options
    That the new Audi A4 2.0T will have 211hp and 258lb ft of torque.

What's the FE of that engine? The torque number sure is impressive but after all it is really not that surprising given that it's a turbo. Last I checked the Acura 2.4 turbo in the Acura RDX makes 240hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. Hopefully the new 2.0T's fuel economy is better than 20 city and 30 highway because if not then might as well go with the smoother and turbo-lag free 6-bangers.
  • Options
    You should check the date of that press release.

If the memory serves me right, we just passed 4/1 not that long ago... Last year the prank was the RX-F.
  • Options
    HA! That's a great catch, if you are correct. Thanks!

BTW, to set the record straight... I am a HUGE fan of Honda Motor Company. I'm on record countless times stating that for a long time.

I am so disappointed, however, in many of their latest design directions (appearance... not all, but most of their models aren't all that attractive). I am also in agreement with LG that Acura interiors need to be upgraded.

But, that said, I am still very fond of the company, and have been for over 30 years now.

TM
  • Options
    Those that have been following the Volt's progress might want to check out this Video.

link title

TM
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Jlbl

For some reason , the pictures you took, for me, were way more attractive and the shape of the Ferraris beautiful, with your baby getting a peeek...at them....I should think you are appreciating your new car the more it is driven...I filled my car up the other day, and it is now a routine charge of fifty dollars, for about three quarters of a tank full....Agreed I get to go a long way on a tank full, but I do believe the price is going up soon, and then it will be sixty or seventy....No one seems to be slowing down and no conservation program, not that I want the speed limit to drop, but brother alot of fuel is being used every day...There must be worlds of it out there...Tony
  • Options
    just don't believe it. But, then again....

Believe it. I have read the Lexus will be a "Prius" type of automobile. Also, I think Lexus will need to stand on it's own regarding the future MPG regulations. This car would help Lexus meet the MPG regs, while still offering other cars that are not as frugal. Funny thing is, I bet they will sell a bunch of these "baby hybrids"
  • Options
    I thoroughly enjoyed that, especially the video.

But... that first pic? Pontiac Fiero... ha, ha, ha.

TM
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Atlas7, gee, I was thinking more sociologically.

My impression is that the S Class owner (actually, more likely lessor) is a business/professional guy with a househould income north of $200. Much of the monthly nut is run through his medical practice or across his company's books. My insurance agent tells me that almost without exception the owner of record on the DMV title for an S Class is never an individual.

The Harley Hog owner has probably half the household income as the S Class individual and many are employed directly or indirectly in the building trades. You have heard what happenned to the building trades in the US? If you accept my line of thought, the Harley guy should have pulled back more than the S Class guy. Apparently, he is still buying though but at a slightly reduced rate.
  • Options
    My insurance agent tells me that almost without exception the owner of record on the DMV title for an S Class is never an individual.

Gotta disagree, I must know 10-12 folks with SClass and they all own 'em, not the company. With all due respect to SClass, there are alternatives, so maybe they opt for something less expensive.

.The Harley Hog owner has probably half the household income as the S Class individual and many are employed directly or indirectly in the building trades

Disagree again, most of the folks I know that have Harley's are guys that have a bunch of Toys and the Harley is just one of many. For the less affluent, Harley Davidson has acheived cult status. There is no alternative to a Harley Davidson, it has to be a Harley...The Harley Davidson brand is so strong that people buy Harley T-shirts, Jackets, and even get Harley Davidson tatoos....Show me another brand where people are getting tatoos?
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    For some reason , the pictures you took, for me, were way more attractive and the shape of the Ferraris beautiful, with your baby getting a peeek...at them...

Yeeaah! The Ferraris I pictured were more sensual, that is, mor rounded! :):D;) The Venus Bath!

As for my new car, I have to say I am very happy with her, though I miss the manual shifting.

BTW, last week end—when going to skiing (still 18 foot of snow on the hills)—I opened an eye wide when I noticed my wife driving at 110 mph because, she said, "…there is a young couple driving the car behind which is trying to overtaking me!" :mad:

It is true that some drivers are just defying her/me when driving this coupe. Overtaking us, then braking as if waiting for us to overtake them, and so on. So, this time my wife got in the trap. And she was very excited indeed! I did write it down on the record so as to use it in my defense next time I have a speeding ticket! :confuse:

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    But... that first pic? Pontiac Fiero... ha, ha, ha.

TG, did you noticed the legend/heading of that pic? The dusty F40 lay abandoned in some Dubai spot. May be the owner left the poor thing because of her running short of petrol! So what…, he just had more of them at home. :shades:

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Disposable Ferrari... quite the elite concept!

"She has run out of gas!!... How dare her!!... Throw her away, and bring me another!!"

I can barely even imagine such behavior. ;)

TM
  • Options
    Really? Remember Mike Tyson?

Tyson begins acting erratically, crashing his $180,000 Bentley into a parked car in New York City while supposedly having an in-car fight with Robin. He tries to give away the car to two policemen investigating the crash.

How's that for Luxo Trash Behavior!!!!!!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    "Take this Ferrari... or I will bite off your ear!"

TM
  • Options
    If you go back far enough, you would realize that Designman, Oac, Jlflx, Merc, Hpowders, dhamilton, the Doc, Syswei, and others were all a very regular part of the forum (originally at HELM/HELC)... for a long time. And we saw Stevekillburn and Brightness4 come and go.

Once in a great while we still hear from Hpowders, dhamilton, and on rare and special occassions, Designman has chimed in. But the rest... gone to other pastures.

There are times that I also think it is time for me to hang it up here as well. I just don't know if I could stay away. Am I somehow addicted to this forum? :surprise:

Might be time to move on... Either way, it is time for me to think about it.

TM
  • Options
    'Twould be a shame to lose any of the regulars here. Especially as some of y'all are acquiring new cars that we are all interested in and can post real world reviews of these cars. My goodness, blkhemi has owned more cars in the past few years than probably going back three generations in my, and my wife's family, have owned!

I can also imagine being a bit worn down by some of the conversations here. I've posted, oftentimes in elegantly, regarding some of what I perceive to be circular, e.g. "sales numbers." But, never dull!

Maybe you just need a break? Hopefully, you're life will not be so significantly improved sans "Luxury Lounge" that you shant return! Selfishly, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Zaino and pix of the 135 after a few coats of the stuff...

• Options
    Everything is possible, even raining upside down (Forrest Gump said); but I cannot imagine this forum without TG's sustaining posts! ;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Hey Tag,

In the real world among my family members, clients and friends there are very few people who gives a damned about cars. Many of them own luxury cars but dont like talking about their cars or the car business in general.

That is why I am here.

Let us not spend too much time grieving at the "Shrine of the Departed Ones" and praying for their resurrection and instead let us focus on the survivors here like yourself Tagman who like to express their opinions aboutt cars as much as we do. And please no Eulogies from anyone if I ever lose interest in discussing cars here or if I get so offeneded by one person's opinion that I end up boycotting this site forever. Thanks!

Anyways Tag, I do hope you stay here!
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I think any conversation that has the same basic premise between the same essential group of people gets stale after a while.

The thing is, you will never find a forum that is as civilized as this one. I go out into some of the truck forums and alternative fuels forums and they are mostly just abusing one another. No one really posts much in the way of valuable info, just shout at whoever just defended Ford/ Chevy/ Toyota/ diesel/ hybrid/ fast/ slow/ sun/ rain etc etc.

Another feature I appreciate here is the latitude for conversation from the Hosts. Other than policing occasionally the 'Lexus is boring- no, BMW interiors suck' conversations, you are left to wander wherever the interest takes you.

In conclusion, this forum acts for me like a favourite pub. I know I can drop in any time for some good conversation among friends. Of course no beer is served, which is a shame... :)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We have also gained a lot of people whose opinions are enjoyable to read and well-respected. As you say, things change, but that doesn't mean that changes are bad, not at all. I see a much broader conversation base here and it's good - fun - to read.

Let me please remind everyone that the topic of "other members" is not a good subject for conversation here. Let's stick to the things we're thinking about the cars instead, okay?

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    TagMan

This is a nice group, and you would be sorely missed.....as would the other members that expressed opinions regularly.....So here`s a toast `May all the posters that have left for what ever reason, return soon` ...We`l gather at your house for the toast :) Tony