Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    esf, I so WISH I could agree with you! I really WISH Jaguar wasn't dead!

It's taken me a long time to say it this directly here on this forum, but I have said it, and I stick by it, until I see otherwise.

Yes, the XK is gorgeous. Yes, the XF is beautiful, Yes, even the old XJ is a looker, and just maybe the new one will be a gem. But... it won't be enough to save Jaguar.

It's too late. :cry:

From here on, it's all just life-support.

TM
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm sorry, but this is just too beautiful to die:

Unfortunately making gorgeous cars is no guarantee of survival. Just ask Errett Cord.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    thought that too, but there are all gone from our garage. The current Lexus lineup just bores me. My wife might be interested in the next gen RX or possibly a smaller SUV below that, but I don't see myself returning to the brand.

I guess more and more people are turning away from lexus to another brand, well, maybe not whoever wants to keep their car for the next 8 years should still stick to the lexus or other japanese brand.

European cars are too good but wont last long.

Why would you guys want to get a smaller suv than the RX?

The only lexus that is good looking is the LS460 with a lot of safety and comfort.
    IS is nice but kind of small imo. Will suit most of the single guys and gals...
  • Options
    bmlexus, x6 is currently facing turbo overheating problems, so I guess the salesman had his reasons.

Not sure I'll ever want one. Still cant warm up to the styling, though I still think X3 is the worst

How do you know that x6 is currently facing turbo heating problems?

Does the x6 inline 6 and the 335i uses the same engine?

Well I do like the styling,but I know most of you here don't

Agreed x3 is the worst...

I remember you test drove the M3, you mentioned the ac wasn't that good. But it was great in the x6. When you sit inside it really makes you feel safe comfortable high riding position unrivalled suv handling!

The only draw back to me is rear visibility,which is kind of bad and very small!
  • Options
    may be you know my family and I (three people) had an accident within that car when cruising at 120 km•h on a highway

Yes I do remember about your accident, and you didn't have run flat tires.

I guess you are correct, safety isn't not bad after all.

Enjoying your 3 series?
  • Options
    European cars are too good but wont last long.

Huh? What are you smoking tonight? :surprise: :confuse: ;)

TM
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    drgums, I've driven the 530i with stick, and I must say I was still impressed. The 6th gear has vey tall setting, which is very nice at highway speeds. Unfortunately les and less cars are sold with stick nowadays, particularly in the luxury realm, even more so for AWD models. The only other choices I know of are Audi A4, Jaguar x-type, and Volvo's S40-S60. I cant recommend any of the Volvos as I have no experience with the brand. Jaguar is a total crap and the dungeon-like rear seat room is even smaller than BMW's. As for Audi, they're not available at dealers yet, but the specs sheet show massive improvement in rear seat room. Have you tried the MB C-class? I believe the upcoming A4 will have even more room than that.
    Is awd an absolute must? If you can handle the snow in a FWD car I'd recommend Acura TL. It's midsize sedan roomy inside, shifter is precise, and fwd is decent in snow.
    Stretching to suvs Porsche Cayenne is available with stick, though I doubt it's worth the shocking sticker. I think BMW still offers x3 with stick too, but I'm not sure. If you stretch it there's also the Saab 92x, but: 1)its a wagon, and 2) I refuse to recognize the redressed Impreza as a luxury model.
    Judging from the entries, I think BMW is still the best choice. If you dont need the speed-acceleration, the 528xi will suit your need just fine, but the 535xi pulls significantly stronger, while the fuel economy isnt hurt badly at all. Price is the problem though, so choose wisely.
    Goodluck with your tough search, and feel free to ask more :)
  • Options
    bmlexus, turbo and engine overheat problems on x6 is a hot topic across europe and asia.
    I'm not sure I still remember the website, I'll post a link once I find it.
  • Options
    drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for your insight...I think it will come down to the Audi A4..( I need to look at that vehicle again....and my local Audi dealer said it will be the biggest in it's class!)
    or the 528xi or 535xi...but the prices that I have been quoted on the 5 series to date are totally ridiculous..( the 2009 lease programs are not yet out...but the prices have gone up)...I was also told that the Audi A4 will also offer the stick in the 3.2 version at some point. The Audi is bigger than a 3 series but smaller than a 5 series...but I am thinking if?? the Audi is big enough for me and my teenagers and my golf clubs..and perform with a manual well with strong pick up and power......it might be the choice if BMW continues the lease prices into the $800- $900+++ range. (And that is with taxes up front!)

From what I read...BMW doesn't care much anymore and will discourage leasing by lowering the residuals and increasing the money factors ( even on a long term customer like me...20+ years)...in fact I was quoted the other day on Autotrader $1050 a month on a 2008 loaded 535xi with 9,000 miles! Are they on another planet? They will lose me as a loyal customer....I can probably get the Audi loaded in the $600 range where the BMW will cost at least $200- $300 more a month....unless they have aggressive programs ( not likely from what I am hearing) ..Are they really worth it I keep asking myself?.... I just want to make sure Audi is a solid car with a powerful engine..( I don't need to have a rocket ship...but I want to enjoy drivng a manual and not have a lag when I am moving......I also require AWD living in the NE....I have to be able to travel in bad weather.....Any other thoughts?

Thanks....
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Thanks for the info! If that's the case, hopefully BBC America will soon start airing Fifth Gear in addition to Top Gear.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,755
    I've oft noted this, but anyone considering an Acura TL for its perceived advantages in the White Gold (snow), I have two words: snow tires.

Lifelong New Englander/skier/FWD driver. My '05 TL is the first car I've ever had to put snow shoes on. After two winters of slipping/sliding and finally not being able to get out of my driveway one morning last winter, I bought a snow tire/wheel pkg. from Tire Rack. Only about three months away from swapping 'em on! Oh, boy!

Great car, btw...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    If only 'twere true that beauty could indeed save the beast. If so, AMC would still be with us! :P

(I'm not sure if inserting pix of a Matador, Gremlin or Pacer would violate the terms of usage agreement here. You know, defacing the board...!)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I just want to make sure Audi is a solid car with a powerful engine..( I don't need to have a rocket ship...but I want to enjoy drivng a manual and not have a lag when I am moving

The new A4 seems to be excellent, and much roomier than the C and 3. With the sport package and Audi Drive Select, it's at least in the same league as the 3 series and G35, if not necessarily the absolute best handler of the trio. The 2.0T now has 211hp and 258ft.lbs of torque, which may be enough when combined with the stick. If not, there's always the S4 :)
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I assume 4 shoes were in order. Some only put them on the drive wheels.

My 330xi ran 3 winters on A/S RFT's. Very good traction so I saved on the T/W package.

On December 30th I turn in this carriage and turn into a frog!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    OW,

Do you need to have AWD on your next vehicle?

TM
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Today I had a visit to the Audi Dealer to see how I would be treated on replacing the rear pax window and small right front screen that was again knocked out by a piece of tire..

Drove up and things were very quiet, but the person I purchased the car from was there.....Turned out they could replace the glass and the cost was about three hundred for part and an additional two hundred for the lower screen...labor would be another three four hundred.....Turns out they don`t accept any form of check, so all goes on a credit card....I asked how things would be done if I purchased an eighty thousand dollar car, as my credit card isn`t that BIG....No one knew...sort of strange...

I then went over and talked with a salesman whom I met a few years ago..Nice guy..He showed me the new A4, and in my opinion it is nearly as spacious (or tight) and my A8, and very nicely laid out as far as the controls---mmi in relation to the gear shifter, and the slant on the little tv screen...I was very impressed with it all...I did notce the charge and it was forty one thousand, and I don`t know what other accessories it had or didn`t have....I took the time to have him turn on the little lights that I saw and didn`t care for..On this car they were behind the cover plate of glass on the head lights, and looked much better than what I saw in real life...I don`t know why what I got a glimpse of looked so crass, as this didn`t...

I also looked at an A5 with a burgandy red interior, a station wagon and an A8..All attractive cars......As I have said in the past , for me ,it is the dealer experience, this time it was an improvement over the last time......One other thing , they have some ten thousand dollar discounts on 08 models---maybe enen twelve thousand....Tony
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Tony, was this in Charleston? For 1 I find it interesting they wouldn't accept check as I Wanted my deposit on c-card for bonus reasons, but they wanted check. & this is only IMO, but the new A4 I sat in, while much better in the back as previous...once I set my driver seat & tried to sit in the back behind it, it was not as comfy as similar conditions in the A6, but not by much. Decent compromise, but the A6 was more comfortable in the back.
  • Options
    It was in Charleston....I thought the whole check thing to be strange...If I were in business, I would take any form of payment , and I think you can make sure the check is good.....I was more concerned with the little lights as the ones I saw on the street really looked crass....I could not get a bad view of the ones on the A4...This A4 is the 2009 model, and as I really did not do anything other than sit in the car and get oriented, and test out the more important things to me, I tell you it felt very spacious, and as I have the short wheel base A8 the back seat looked about as big as mine....I`l return in a couple of weeks for the new parts to be installed, and will further nose around....I`m sure the A6 is roomire, but the new A4 had plenty of room in front....As for room, we had a trip today and the Mercedes five hundred really had alot of room all around...The owned did say it had elec. problems galore, but it got us there and back...A very floaty ride....Tony
  • Options
    Indeed, four Dunlop WinterSports on dedicated allow wheels -1 sizing. Car looks a bit strange on 215/16 and definitely feels different with the mukluks on. I don't look forward to the ski boots, but I've decided for the few days I'll need 'em, a wise investment. And I'm sure they'll fit on the XK...

Yeah, looking forward to your stories of car shopping/comparisons. Add a Chrysler Sebring to your list, one of Tag's favorites I read somewhere!

• Options
    Chrysler Sebring?? One of my favorites??!!

Why, of course! What could be better? ;)

TM
  • Options
    I was leaning that way until I drove YOUR car! I am on the fence now, leaning to the lighter choice with M/T so my wife can learn 6 on-the-floor driving!

Distance craving is a certified 2006 A-8 just because.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Sebring?? Eeewww! JK! :D

Next week is A-8 shopping. So far, it's been the 1-series twins, the G35x (08 version). Check in when the drive is compete!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Perhaps it's time for a test!

link title

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    fadetoblackiifadetoblackii Member Posts: 29
    I cant recommend any of the Volvos as I have no experience with the brand.

I work at a Volvo store, and I would highly recommend you give them a shot. Incredibly comfortable, and they're built to be at home in the snow with only FWD and AWD setups available. Not to mention you get good gas mileage (those little 5 cyl engines are amazing) and if you get a T5 or even (in an S80) a T6 you'll definitely have enough power. Thats to say nothing of the V8 which is 311/325 hp/tq in an AWD setup.

Check one out before you buy. Some people swear by them, some people can't stand them, but you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    ...leaning to the lighter choice with M/T so my wife can learn 6 on-the-floor driving!

Good for you!

FWIW, I've taught a bunch of people, both male & female, how to drive stick, & it's been my experience that women pick it up more readily than men. Among my students was my wife, who needed only a weekend of practice to become proficient. Afterwards, she drove nothing but sticks for years. She's reverted to the slushbox, but she has no trouble driving my 330i home on a Saturday night if (ahem!) I've had a bit too much of the tincture.
  • Options
    Re: An A5 or S5. I hate it when (negative) stereoytpes are reinforced. Arrived at work at the same time as a consultant here. He in his (surprise!) silver A4. An '06, out of warranty as he does a lot of driving. He enjoys the car, the quattro. I queried reliability. Well, he's had a few issues in and out of warranty. He needed to replace an intake valve, but as it was just out of warranty, the dealer cut him a deal. Still cost him a few $, though. Electronic bugaboos, too, including re-flashing the CPU. Window regulator problems, I think he had more, but we parted ways for the time...

Ah, that was '06 model year. The '08 and beyond are much closer to perfection!

I hate to be a sterotype myself, but having owned predominately Japanese cars (when I pay for 'em), I really just don't know of such problems. The TL has had a couple of rattles and recalls, but it hasn't cost me any $, reliability-wise. Of course, nor did my Chrylser 300M (out of warranty, a few warranty related fixes), but it was about to! Hello, TL!

Our '95 Saab required some post-warranty $ repairs, when they started to become more frequent, hello RX300! The RX did just cost us a nice chunk o' change to replace an O2 sensor that had melded itself to the manifold, but that was at 80k+miles. Good news is that the mpg has gone up 10-15% since the fix!

• Options
    Interesting. Well, seeing as my wife likes control, she should take to it in no time at all! Then, I can have fun at the party as well!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    09/12/2008, 10:05 AM
    BMW News
    BMW readying new turbo four

Porsche is apparently moving forward with its four-cylinder engine plans, but a new report indicates that Porsche is not the only German automaker with its eyes on a four-pot powerplant. Jim O’Donnell, BMW’s North American CEO, has confirmed that the luxury automaker is indeed developing a new four-cylinder powerplant.

In an interview with Business Week, O’Donnell confirmed a new four-cylinder is under development. “It will deliver stronger performance in terms of acceleration than the current 6-cylinder, it will deliver lower emissions and will give you better fuel economy; so it is a win, win, win situation,” he said. “This will be a high tech 4-cylinder engine; obviously turbocharged.”

Although the new engine might sound like a dream come true, don’t get too overly excited. O’Donnell went on to say that the new engine has not been green lighted for the U.S., and that there is a chance we might not see the four-banger on our shores for quite awhile. So much for a win, win, win.

However, with most Americans clamoring for high gas mileage vehicles, it seems like it would be a mistake for BMW not to bring its new turbo four to the U.S. sooner rather than later.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    stick drivers I know or see are women, or girls for that matter. There are more girls driving stick than guys do where my sister goes to college. Hard to believe....

Audi's customer service here is awesome. They have a lounge where you can wait and enjoy free snacks and coffee. And buying a new car here means you're getting free carwash once a week. This includes Audi, Porsche, and (special order only) Bentleys.

btw anthony, do you have any pics on that burgundy interior? is it a dark red or one of those bright red interior that burns your eyes under sunlight?
  • Options
    Hey people, how about a little break from those hard, brain frying talks?
    Lets have a poll, shall we? What are your dream cars? Both realistic and unrealistic.

My unrealistic (read: cant afford one) dream cars are the ultra exclusive Bentley Azure and Lamborghini Reventon. Drive fun, and/or doing it 100% in style.
    As for the more realistic one its Audi R8 (replacing my previous dream car F360 Modena), very rare compared to Ferraris.

What are yours?
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Unrealistic - Enzo

Realistic - R8 (V10)
  • Options
    Continental GT...F430....ZR-1 and I'm good!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    No Pictures, but the color was really Burgandy, and a nice shade with just a little red...Very rich color sort as you would imagine...Definitely not red.....As for my opinion on a very nice car, I almost got the Bentley Continental when it first came out, but chickened out as I worry too much about getting dings etc....The Spur would suit me more at this time, but again dings and out right vandalism----not for me...Tony
  • Options
    Can't say unrealistic, Its always possible by trying to work hard or luck!

Unrealistic LF-A !

Realistic X6 v8.
  • Options
    Aww I forgot to list the continental gt, yeah I'd love to have one too on my reasonable list.

The Reventon is definitely unrealistic as they're very very limited production and they're all sold. The same goes to Azure I believe. :sick:

Of course, like you said, hard work and luck comes in handy. However considering the time necessary to make such money I'll probably be too old by the time I can afford it. Darn it.... :sick:
  • Options
    Never loose your dream! Period.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Here is an interesting read from WSJ. I am testing a 2006 A-8L tomorrow listed for $37,900. , 43K miles. I will offer $35K to see what the reaction is.

I have until December, so seeing as the Economy will be soft, I might get a good deal when it's historically a slow time anyway.

Luxury Discounts

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    What are yours?

Good question. I don't really have any interest in Enzos or Reventons, most of my unrealistic dream cars are very old.

1935 Auburn 851 Supercharged Boattail Speedster

1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 B Superleggera Touring Spyder

1955 Maserati 2000 Zagato Spyder (only one in the world!)

Spyker C8 Aileron Coupe

Realistic dream cars would be the Audi RS6 sedan and Jaguar XKR-S.
  • Options
    Interesting selection of cars there, LG.

Well, we've talked in the past about some of our favorites, and I still have a special place in my heart for the old Jag XKE.

You might be surprised to learn that it would be a dream for me to own an Audi R10 TDI... yes, the now-famous race car.

And, unlike yourself, I'd be just fine with a Lamborghini... in fact I'd take one over any Ferrari at this point in time.

Realisitic dream car? Beyond the 911, I could see myself getting irrational enough to spring for an Audi R8 one day... but I doubt it. Life's priorities will most likely challenge that idea.

Back to favorite "old" dream cars, I also remember mentioning Duesenberg here in the past.

TM
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    Here is an interesting read from WSJ. I am testing a 2006 A-8L tomorrow listed for $37,900. , 43K miles. I will offer $35K to see what the reaction is.

I have until December, so seeing as the Economy will be soft, I might get a good deal when it's historically a slow time anyway.

That seems like a pretty decent price already, depending on options and condition. Is it a CPO model? What options? Let us know how you make out with that A8L.
  • Options
    It's a CPO LWB but not over loaded.. Let me know if I'm being unreasonable.

This is a Certified Pre-Owned 2006 Audi A8 L in Northern Blue Pearl with Platinum Interior and 43,315 miles. One owner vehicle, fresh off lease return. Vehicle is equipped with Leather, Moonroof, Heated Seats, Bose Sound Package, Memory Seats, Xenon Headlamps, Advanced Key, Navigation, Bluetooth , Multifunctional Steering Wheel, Parktronic, Window Shade, Homelink + MORE!

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    And, unlike yourself, I'd be just fine with a Lamborghini... in fact I'd take one over any Ferrari at this point in time.

I don't have anything against Lamborghini, I just think the Reventon is a bit over the top. I'd rather have the Gallardo Spyder with its more predictable handling and top that actually works.
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    $12,000 discount on a 2008 A8 4.2? Sign me up.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    The Reventon is definitely unrealistic as they're very very limited production and they're all sold

Actually 1 is still available, if you ever change your mind do let me know ;)
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    Looks like a car that townhall motors is selling. I know their website, I was shopping there 2 months ago before I bought my A8L from Flemington. $37 seems like a decent price as the 06 models were still $40K or more just 2 months ago. I did limited my selection as there were only certain colors I would entertain, and key was that the interior had to be black or amaretto. The beige and gray colors in my mind just make it look cheap, just IMO of course.

I was offered $31,700 from Townhall on an 05 A8L CPO with 37K miles, sirius, 19", cold weather, bluetooth and premium package. I did end up getting a black on black with the same options but with soft close doors, ventilated seats, and wood wheel for $32,500 with $39K miles. The black on black just seemed in better condition, the townhall car did not look bad but just looked a bit more 'worn' from the previous owner. The experience I had with my sales rep was very good though and I have no complaints.

If you like the options / colors and can talk them down a bit more than it seems like you will have a very nice deal. Be ready to walk if you have to, there is always a lot of inventory turning at these places... Best of luck.
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    The beige and gray colors in my mind just make it look cheap, just IMO of course.

It's just about impossible to make the interior of an Audi A8 look cheap.

I also agree that that's a good deal... for a three-year-old luxobarge anything under $40K is a steal, IMO.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    The CPO is a big plus, any price under 38K I would jump on it. I let my '06 go back when the lease ran out and now I miss it, best car in the class.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. It helps a lot! Good luck with your car. I would say you got an excellent deal. Town Motors is the place. I see they have plenty of A6's as well.

I am ready to walk because I have 3 months left of my 330xi lease. I'll report back tomorrow.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Unrealistic - Chrysler ME-4-12 or Firepower!
    (semi)Realistic - A pristine GMC Syclone, Buick GNX, or current model M3 sedan
  • Options
    Given the last few months of stock market activity:

Unrealistic: Retiring before I'm 80 when hopefully I can maybe upgrade my TL
    Realistic: Fiat X1/9

:sick: :cry: