Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    LOL.

Given the last few months of stock market activity:

Months? The market has sucked for years.

The historical average used to be 11% annually. Using the rule of 72, that gave the ability to double your money in just under 7 years, if all years are average.

In seven years, we are lucky to still have any money left at all!! :surprise:

The price we have paid to stop those WMDs that never existed to begin with. :confuse: :sick:

TM
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,765
    Really? Those satellite pictures of trucks leaving a warehouse didn't convince you that Iraq had WMDs? Watching Colin Powell present them, they didn't appear to convince him either...

I'm not sure that our resources are best served in preemptive strikes... That's just me, though... Gotta trust our government to know more than I do...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Lots here about Audi lately. :)

So, here's some more...

Info here, and a slide show of the 2009 RS6 is included in the link:

link title

TM
  • Options
    No... the Isetta brand is NOT being considered by BMW for reinstatement.

But, could a modern Isetta look something like one of these? :surprise:

Well... After today's stock market, I might have to trade in the 135i for one of 'em... whatever they're called. We're slowly being carved away, gentlemen. Soon there will be nothing left.

(horrible, aren't they?)

link title

TM
  • Options
    A VERY good -looking teaser image!! Not much to see, but from the looks of it, I am pleasantly surprised.

Now, this luxury Porsche 4-door truly belongs in this forum.

Here's some info... and it includes a link to the new Porsche Panamera mini-website, as well as the Porsche press release.

link title

TM
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    I laughed about this too, but only in so far as to LD being able to grasp a TL down the road that avoids this generation's hideous exterior makeover. As far as the market (politics-yawn) of the last few years, IMO, if u haven't made money, u either have an out-of-touch money manager, or u aren't doing a good job yourself.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The price we have paid to stop those WMDs that never existed to begin with.

You mean the price we have paid to get those no-bid oil contracts. That the Iraqis just rescinded and gave to China. Doh! Oh well, what's a trillion or two between friends? After all, it's not like we could use that money for anything here at home. What we really need to get the economy humming again is a new cold war. :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I think we all know it will be attractive from the front, but the Panamera's gaping "what if?" would be the rear end. All signs point to it being bulky and wagon-esque. I would prefer it had more traditional saloon proportions, but it's definitely a wild card that could surprise all of us in the future, in good ways or bad.

Unrelated, I saw a Phantom Black 2008 A8L in town today. Absolutely beautiful. I couldn't stop staring.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    I agree I'll take Gallardo over any current gen ferrari, the 360 Modena was the last beautiful ferrari imo. The newer ones are pretty cool, but the styling is just not for me.

I wonder how much gallardo cost, maybe I can put one into my realistic dream list :D:D coupe, spyder, doesnt matter which, both look extremely cool.
  • Options
    It's just about impossible to make the interior of an Audi A8 look cheap.

This I agree, unless they somehow come up with bright red interior they offer in Audi A5. That wont just look cheap, cheesy also. in fact I doubt any audi interior will look cheap, except A2 which doesnt make it to US market.

I'm so leaning towards good bargain Audis right now. With A6-A8 being deeply discounted, cant help it ;) Let me know what kind of deal you end up getting on the A8. :)
  • Options
    I agree I'll take Gallardo over any current gen ferrari, the 360 Modena was the last beautiful ferrari imo. The newer ones are pretty cool, but the styling is just not for me.

Actually I think I agree with Clarkson that that the last truly good looking Ferrari was the 355. The 360 was a bit weird in the front. The 599 I think is an improvement over the somewhat dull looking 575, but no current Ferrari can hold a candle to the looks of either the new Alfa 8C or the Maserati GT.
  • Options
    IMO, if u haven't made money, u either have an out-of-touch money manager, or u aren't doing a good job yourself.

It's mixed. Some investments have been doing very well with others doing lousy. It's as mixed up as its ever been, and the economy is not healthy, IMO. The auto industry and the financial companies ought to be the obvious indicators. My business is in an industry that always feels the economic pulse early on, so I'm fairly certain that things are messed up right now, and have been messed up for a while.

Also, making money through investing is one thing. Making it through normal interactive business is quite another.

One more point... most people don't have money managers, and many don't even have enough money to invest, let alone make their ends meet. They are caught up in trying to pay for gasoline and mortgages on properties that are worth less than they owe. Their kids are going to bed hungry, and they are fellow Americans. Something IS wrong, IMO.

TM
  • Options
    Well, until relatively recently, Mssrs. Miller, Heebner and Tillinghast et al were doing alright by me. But not so much during Dubya's second term. Ok, Heebner's been a stud, but Billy M. seems to have lost his way.

Still haven't seen an '09 TL in the flesh. And am not sure I want to. That X1/9 was a looker, though! ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Are those riding on oreo cookies?? If you hit a squirrel, you will be in ICU for years!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Too bad that after 100 years, GM finds itself in such a pickle.

Then again, the blame lies squarely within its own ranks.

TM
  • Options
    The sales guy informed me that the car was deopsited when I arrived yesterday. Nice to call me. I did drive a 2007 A-8L just to feel the car. It is a fantastic ride, all luxury and very satisfying. This one was loaded and $50K.

You were correct. That 2006 LWB $38K car lasted about a week before it was sold. :cry:

Back to the search...

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    VW/Porsche/Audi. That always had a nice ring to it.

That's the way it used to be... and that's the way it's likely going to be, although the names will be kept seperate.

And this time around, though, Porsche will be majority owner.

This, from Automotive News...

Porsche says it controls VW, offers to buy Audi

Paul McVeigh
    Automotive News
    September 16, 2008 - 7:57 am ET
    UPDATED: 09/16/08 10:06 a.m. EDT

MUNICH -- Porsche today said it has raised its stake in Volkswagen group to 35 percent from 31 percent. It said VW is now a subsidiary of Porsche Automobil Holding under German law.

Porsche also said it is required by law to submit a formal mandatory offer for VW subsidiary Audi as a result of the new shareholder structure.

Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking said the sports car maker has no interest in separating Audi from VW group.

"We see Audi as an integral part of VW group and have no interest in taking the company out of the group," Wiedeking said in a statement.

Porsche said its takeover offer for Audi will be at the minimum price of about 487 euros per share.

Wiedeking said the sports car maker intends to raise its stake in VW to more than 50 percent at a future date. "Today's step is a further milestone on the way," he said.

Porsche said it now has a lasting majority at the VW annual general meeting. It added that VW employee representatives will take seats on Porsche Automobil Holding's employee council and supervisory board.

Wiedeking said he hoped for a quick solution to the conflict between Porsche and VW's works council over worker representation on Porsche Automobil Holding's supervisory board. VW's works council says it has too few members on the board.

Porsche's plan to take a majority stake in Volkswagen had sparked a power struggle between the Porsche and VW's powerful labor union, which accuse Porsche of staging a hostile takeover.

TM
  • Options
    OW,

No disrespect to you, but I must question the purchase of a large lux barge. Just can't help but wonder if that's the kind of car that you will have fun driving around?

I realize that it's a great car and a terrific value. There is no doubt about that. But I couldn't help but wonder today if a big boat is the kind of car you are really seeking?

TM
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926

Porsche said its takeover offer for Audi will be at the minimum price of about 487 euros per share.

What?? :surprise: :surprise:
    That's Berkshire/Hathaway (BRK-B) stock prices there!! Is that a typo?
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    You put your finger right on it....I haven`t been doing a good job.....Lately.....But I did do a good job earning the money in the first place, now just don`t loose it...Tony
  • Options
    TM,

Secretly, I was thinking that after the drive and getting back into my car. It's such a nice car but the REAL drive is in the small scalpels of the world!

The value is unbelievable, though. Even 2006 A6's can be had for $30K.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I haven`t been doing a good job.....Lately.....But I did do a good job earning the money in the first place, now just don`t loose it.

That's right. You did a good job of making money the old-fashioned way... you EARNED it. You WORKED for it. Nowadays, especially since the dot.com days, there is still the mentality that all you have to do is put your money in the right investment and you don't have to actually work for your money any more. Well, unless you get a particularly rare investment opportunity, those types of scenarios don't usually work. Best to keep the daytime job... LOL.

Damn, if these financial wizards can't keep from going BK, how do they expect the average Joe Blow to make it? Besides, who's supposed to be guarding the public's money when it is invested? A bunch of idiots who can't even keep their own company from going under? It all raises serious questions. And how is it that investors' financial woes continue to occur, over and over and over again... moving from one crisis or scam to another? Is there no end in sight? How can ANYONE really put their full trust in these brokers, financial advisors, and money managers? Heck, with the track record now firmly in place, I'm just waiting for the next financial storm to set in.

TM
  • Options
    Well, this should be interesting. The 135i's "check engine soon" warning light came on this afternoon at around 1940 miles while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. The car has been running like a Swiss watch, so it will be interesting to discover what it's about. I called the dealership and I've got an appointment already in place for late this week.

It's probably minor, but I do like to report my ownership experiences with my cars accurately and honestly, so I'll keep you posted.

Otherwise, so far, the car has been awesome.

TM
  • Options
    After the depression was analized long ago, they put into place checks and balances so it wouldn`t happen again.....The most obvious thing that was un-done was the up tick rule, and having to actually borrow the shares sold short....Just think of shooting `fish` in a barrel, and that is what we have today....We being the `fish`....I`m afraid that the `guardians` have been persuaded to rescind those rules so a few could benefit---at the expense of us all.....Don`t drop your guard in the `bond` market either, as it is just as bad , but in a different way....I personally think that this economy we are all in, could turn out very badly, if changes aren`t made , and soon, as a rolling ball is way harder to stop after it picks up speed....

Some time ago someone made a statement that they had made a good percentage gain in this environment.....I know this, that if you have a larger sum of money, you can`t help but loose in this environment....When I had a smaller amount of money I for some reason could make money in an environment like this------say ten thousand dollars ---with a nestegg of say fifty thousand.....My how times have changed, and let`s be thankful for what we do have, and stop the bleeding, so we survive this man made mess Tony
  • Options
    Tony and TM, you guys are so right. Just trust in yourselves.

BTW, here is a great line for the Financial Industry right about now...it's a quote from Jack Welch.

"Change before you have to."

They must have missed this!

It is also spot on if you think about the auto industry and in particular, the Detroit Three. Quite resounding for both,indeed!. They seem to never learn and thus, repeat the pain. What a Circle of Woe!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I`m afraid that the `guardians` have been persuaded to rescind those rules so a few could benefit

Absolutely. This is what happens when you let free-market capitalism run wild without regulation. This is what "government IS the problem" thinking gets you. The bailouts have only just begun.
  • Options
    .I know this, that if you have a larger sum of money, you can`t help but loose in this environment....

I must not have a large enough sum of money. Got to get back to work then. ;)
  • Options
    All it takes is hard work and discipline (not spending all you earn) and eventually you have a larger sum of money :) Just remember when you loose money it is lost, and what you have to do is earn more money....The lost money is gone...Tony ps There are always richer people thay yourself....
  • Options
    Tony, never fooled myself into making a Fortune list. But since I've had $ to invest (last 5 yrs or so), it really hasn't been hard work to make $ but working hard at what has so far been simple to do to make$. Have the right dormant amount for crisis, static amount for safety, dynamic amount for growth (&fun), & ensured organic, which for me is work, but I do so only because I enjoy it...for now.
  • Options
    Man you sound like you are going in the right direction, and I sure wish you Luck :) Now if we could get Hpowders to tell us when to cover the short of TM at around one hundred thirty dollars, we,l be humming :) Just remembering that good advice at just the right time Howard.....Tony
  • Options
    When even huuugee companies like Lehman Brothers go bankrupt, its a sign to work even harder ;)
  • Options
    OW, have you checked out the Corvette lately? They're getting deep, and I mean deep, discounts here. I overheard a conversation at starbucks where a guy was offered $7000 discount on any base corvette including the Z51 (both coupe and convertible), and $9900 for ZO6 (I think TM mentioned this one). Additional $1000 cash back for purchase of any leftover 08s. Checked out local ads, and yes, the discounts are for real. Corvettes arent selling well here, so I guess its only natural. How good (or bad) are the deals in your area??

Also, local Lexus(!!!) for the 1st time I know start offering great deals on their GS and IS models. As low as 1200 over invoice, doesnt seem much, but by Lexus standards, I believe its amazing. Hummer-GMC and Land Rover dealers here seem to take the worst damage, I pass their showrooms everytime I go home and they're always empty.

"Discount Leftovers" and "Bargain CPOs" seem to be the names of the game right now. There are sooo many great deals out there I dont know where to start looking anymore. I'm so lost......
  • Options
    Acura's labeled their recent design as Keen Edge Dynamic? I really haven't seen anything positive come out of their new design crew from Cali. Took their most handsome design of the TL & butchered it IMO. Advancing?

New TL showcases Acura's "Keen Edge" design

The all-new 2009 TL has a highly evocative design that features Acura's "Keen Edge Dynamic" styling philosophy, which fuses precise, machined surfaces with natural, free-flowing design elements for an emotional, dramatic response.

"We wanted to move it to more of a visually aerodynamic image," said TL exterior designer, Art Osborne. "It has a strong, aggressive presence and a "motion surface" that creates continuity from front to back, marrying efficiency and fluidity with an edginess and sportiness. We wanted to make you feel like you're not only getting into the car, you are part of the car."

The design philosophy carries from the exterior to the interior, as the designers worked together to create a seamless look. The interior design places special emphasis on engaging the driver.

The end result is a striking look that signals the car's performance abilities. This unique styling philosophy, boldly expressed in the new TL, is testimony that even in design, Acura is always advancing.
  • Options
    m4d_cow, I see what you are talking about.

Here is the site for the NJ's largest dealer. Unbelievable discounts at a time when money is tight!

Kerbeck Chevy

21 - Z06 In Stock
    12 - 'Vertes In Stock
    60 -Coupes!!!

Only 2 - 2008's left - 2 Z06's and 1 coupe.

It's the best time to shop and buy in a long, long time. Have fun!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I am a bit late for this, but here are my loved car dreams.

Unrealistic.
    I must confess I would easily content myself driving the Audi R10 TDI or the 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 B Superleggera Touring Spyder that TM & LG posted ;), but in my dreams this Ferrari 500, ca 1953, comes first:

Affordable but also unrealistic because there is not available.
    A 335d with manual tranny. :mad: I'm very satisfied with my auto 335d, but I would be even happier if she were manual. I don't miss the left pedal but my lost feeling of being in control of the engine. Strangely, I feel am driving more slowly this car than the 530d. I think it is because of her consistent engine braking. But the speed average tells me I am quicker in real terms.

Apart from that, everything is a pleasure with the new car (thanks for asking it, bmlexus). I have just enjoyed driving 1,000 miles to Costa Brava and back. I will post about it later.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    2010 Mercedes-Benz S 400 BlueHYBRID revealed: 28 mpg S-Class due in Sept. ‘09

Mercedes-Benz today revealed its first passenger car with a hybrid drive system set to hit the market in the summer of 2009. The Mercedes-Benz S 400 BlueHYBRID is a combination of a V6 petrol engine and a compact hybrid module that gives it a combined fuel economy of 28 mpg.

Based on the S350, power comes from a 3.5 liter V6 engine producing 279-hp with an additional 20-hp from the electric motor for a total of 299-hp. It is mated to a 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission.

The S400 BlueHYBRID is also the first series-production Mercedes-Benz model to be equipped with a lithium-ion battery. Mercedes-Benz has fitted the S 400 BlueHYBRID with start/stop technology which saves fuel by switching the engine off when the car is at a standstill. When the car is stopped the electric motor acts as a generator providing charge to the lithium-ion battery.

The Mercedes-Benz S400 BlueHYBRID will be launched in the European market in June 2009 followed by China in August 2009 and the US in September 2009. Prices will be announced closer to launch.

That's great news! Too bad for the LS600hL... LOL.

TM
  • Options
    or the 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 B Superleggera Touring Spyder that TM & LG posted

Yeah that particular version of the 8C 2900 B is one of my favorite cars of all time. It's just so gorgeous. The new Alfa 8C is possibly the best looking car on the road today, but it's no match for its grandpa.
  • Options
    Just FYI, I have been told that my 135i's "check engine soon" light came on due to a faulty fuel pump.

I have read on BMW forums that their fuel pumps are notorious for failure... But at 1944 miles? I wonder if I'll get another couple of thousand miles out of the new one... LOL.

I'm cool with it, if it's not a constant issue, of course.

TM
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    Regarding : New TL showcases Acura's "Keen Edge" design

I remember seeing the new TL posted by someone (TM?) compared to a picture of a knight's armor and I ended up LMAO.
  • Options
    I remember seeing the new TL posted by someone (TM?) compared to a picture of a knight's armor and I ended up LMAO.

yeah... I posted that gladiator. It looked just like the front end of that new TL.

So... they are officially calling it "keen edge" design? Gee, THAT's gonna fix things!.. HAHAHA.

How pathetic the situation has become for Acura now that they have resorted to a dictionary in a desperate attempt to define what has already been defined visually to be something quite far from "keen".

TM
  • Options

I think the front of the TL especially looks like it has a big beak, like a parrot. The side glass is a blatant rip off of the G35, and the rear is just awful, as is the interior. The car now starts at $35K, and fully loaded its $44K, which is just too much considering there will be loads of RLs on the lot costing a lot less than that. Not to mention that you can get a new A4 3.2 for the same money.
  • Options
    Ok, I think I can proudly proclaim that I drive the finest & classiest looking Acura TL series ever!

Still haven't tasted an '09 in person, but I've yet to see a picture where I can say, "By George, I'm keen on that 'Keen Edge!':

Looks like they took a bit of "Flame Surfacing," a hint of XF/GS and maybe a touch of prior-gen Maxima, threw it into a CAD program and, voila, a mistake! Please, that beak!!!

• Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    28.5 million. That’s a whole lot of money that you can spend on a whole lot of things. Like buy a couple of Ferraris, a couple of Lamborghinis or even a couple of $2 million Bugatti Veyrons. But according to a rumor reported by Top Gear, some bloke in England has just dropped $28.5 million on a Ferrari 250 GTO that he’ll probably never take out of his garage on a regular basis.

It’s all being kept on the down low for now but word on the street is that the English man purchased it from a Scottish vendor via a Californian broker. Why was the price so high? Well, for one there are only 39 GTPs still left in the world and two, its allegedly the most sought out after Ferrari ever.
  • Options
    I think the front of the TL especially looks like it has a big beak, like a parrot.

Bingo! That's exactly my thought. I swear I was actually going to post a few images of a parrot earlier, but I thought it would be too corny, so I didn't bother.

We're on the same page.

TM
  • Options
    A couple of years ago I posted that I would be interested in the new Porsche Panamera when it finally made its debut.

But then, some ugly spy shots emerged, and I dropped the idea. Now, the car is about to be presented to the world, and I have received a "teaser" in the mail today, as well as seeing the teaser on the internet (I posted a link earlier in the week).

The car may actually end up looking good... I mean very good.

If so, I could always trade in the Jag and the 911 both at the same time and end up with a 4-door sports car! Hmmmm... something to ponder.

TM
  • Options
    I swear I was actually going to post a few images of a parrot earlier, but I thought it would be too corny, so I didn't bother.

Maybe I should follow up on my BMW catfish with an Acura parrot.
  • Options

Good-Bye Forever!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Bravo... you have successfully captured the essence of Acura's "keen edge" design. I cannot locate my original gladiator pic, but please allow me to add this knight's helmet to the mix.

I wonder if Acura has ANY idea that this is the actual impression that folks have of their new TL. I tend to doubt it. What kind of market research could they have done to end up with the beak design? Probably NONE.

TM
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Guys, you have to remember that this is a Honda product. They could build the ugliest, lousiest vehicle in the world and the Honda fans will still buy it and proclaim it the best that ever was; even the handful of people that buy RLs. :sick: I don't know what it is with Honda/Acura. I swear there has to be some kind of odorless, colorless kool-aid spores that come through the HVAC vents that the simple-minded are vulnerable to. Some "Honda people" can have the absolute worst car ownership experience ever with their Honda/Acura product and still come back, regardless.

I've seen it first-hand SO many times. :(
  • Options
    Well, from my first hand family experience of owning many Honda/Acura products since the late '70s, I can't say we've ever had a bad experience. Never the height of style (until my, well, you know), but comfortable, nicely appointed, nice ride/handling combos, screwed together properly and dead-reliable.

Not to say that there aren't Honda problems out there. Just not here.