Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    I also asked around for 2006 A8s. Seems like it still cost about $42-45k. There's a huge difference between the 05 A8 and 06 (new-grille) A8, almost 10k.
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I have never gotten a ticket in my car, but don't let that fool you--I am an aggressive driver. Not outside the boundaries of safety or reason, but I like to let her out a bit on the highway.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    I agree. I've lost my enthusiasm for the XF. There is just something "missing" from that car. It doesn't quite click with me. I would much rather have an S6 or a properly chipped 535xi.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    You know, it's like the one pic you gave us when you bought the car was a spy shot. Here, you can have a "sneak peek," but now you have to wait six months until I get my good camera.

Here's one more vote for "borrow the camera!"

That is a great camera, by the way. :)

• Options
    If anyone would know about Audis here, it would be me, would it not? :P

The 2006 A8 was the year it got its first refresh (big grille). The W12 got the big grille when it was introduced the year before, but for some reason Audi waited with the standard model. This A8 also had the 335hp engine as opposed to the '07 model's upgraded DI 350hp version. Other than that it's exactly the same as any of the other A8s, meaning it's fantastic. Terrible resale, which is great for you. Flawless interior, timeless exterior. Relatively reliable--the kinks had been worked out by then. It strikes the right balance between sportiness and comfort in a large sedan. 0-60mph comes in at about six seconds flat.

Are you looking for a SWB or LWB? The standard A8 is much harder to find.

• Options
    $10,000 is a pretty normal difference between two model years, especially for a luxury sedan that was expensive to begin with, and especially for something that was refreshed between the two years. I say the '06 is totally worth it--after the big grille came out the A8 looked bland without it.

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I agree. I've lost my enthusiasm for the XF.

Y'know, esf, when the XF first came out, there were actualy some posters here that thought Jaguar's days of doom were over and done with. I was not one of them. I still do not see anything that is going to save this marque. Maybe my crystal ball is missing something, but it seems that no matter what Jaguar does at this point, it will be too late, IMO. Life support sucks, but in the end, short of that miracle, there is no life without it.

I feel bad about Jaguar, because of their long heritage and I genuinely like some of their cars.

Anyway, if anyone wants to update their opinion on this, feel free... mine hasn't changed. I still see Jaguar going nowhere... except eventually down, and certainly if taken off of life-support.

TM
  • Options
    Post a pic of possible future XJ. While there's too much decoration to me, the basic concept is cool. Too bad it's the only decent looking Jag I can think of, and it's still a concept. the others are crap except the previous gen XK, which looks pretty sweet. Current XJ is, well, XJ, nothing changed over the years.

esf, 05-06 is supposed to be 1 MY now isnt it? ;) then again you mentioned poor resale, so I guess 10k for 1 my is still possible.
  • Options
    possible future XJ

Gee... so what? What's it going to do? Knock out the S-Class?

Sorry, but... yawn. ;)

TM
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I may go drive one this week, my Audi dealer also has a Jag franchise. I would lease only but I really have no idea how the car performs nor do I know if it leases well. I haven't seen very many on the road so I don't know if they are hitting their sales target.

Thanks for the camera discussion, I am about to buy one for my wife and we have narrowed the choice down to the D90 and 50D. I just have not kept up on these as much as some of you guys have.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    The 2006 is the one that I feel would be the best bet at this time. Might be worth the extra money. I need to do some more analysis, however.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Darn, I forgot! Forgive me and thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the SWB but it looks like most 2006 I've seen in Cars.com are the LWB version.

This feedback is very useful. Thanks. I will test drive this month.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,754
    Actually, I could just buy her a last-gen Toyota MR2 and tell her it's a Boxster...!

My fear is, once the time comes, she will actually start researching. Who knows, gulp, she may want to accompany me to the Auto Show! :(

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Just keep her away from the XK-R if she does go...you'll loose another dream car! Imagine having it but not allowed to drive it! :cry: :mad:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    I'm a big fan of Sprint Blue, just chickened out. I may wonder what if, but after seeing the Meteor Gray S5 on the lot, I'm confident of not having too many regrets.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 29
    Just 1 month ago I went through this whole dilemma regarding going for an 05 or 06 A8L. I was only considering the L version but I still found plenty of SWB models that I had to pass on. While I do like the grill on the 06, I just could not justify spending $10K more just for that. I was looking at many dealerships in a 40 miles radius and and made sure I had options, mileage and condition very similar, and the only thing I would be getting with the 06 was the big grill.

If you are looking at an early 05 it will not have bluetooth, and the warranty will also be shorter. I got a late model 05 so it has bluetooth, as well as 10 months left on the standard warranty before the 2 year CPO kicks in. I assume an 06 would have even more warranty left, but again that's a big price to pay. I wouldn't go for an 07 as that does not have the prepaid maintenance so you will be paying more out of pocket for a very slight increase in HP.

Regarding the car, I do love the A8L. It is the best car I have ever driven, and assuming I don't have many issues I will be driving it for a very long time. Everyone who get's in it comments on the looks and the ride. It really seems to be a car that no one ever noticed before and they can't believe it when the get inside it. If you have the $10K to spend the more power to you, but I just couldn't justify the extra cash over the 05. Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input and sharing your knowledge. It helps a great deal. I want the bluetooth but not willing to spend $10K more. Out of the picture so I will follow your advice and look at the '05's and check for the BT option.

I rode in a 1999 A8 and loved it back then. You car is at the top of the food chain AFAIC!

Best of luck and many happy and smooth miles to you!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I'll be driving in Spain (Madrid-Barcelona-Valencia-Madrid) next week. Does anyone know how strict Spanish LE is on the speed laws? Thanks for any and all help.
  • Options
    drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    I have always been a manual driver.....I currently am finishing up a 2005 x5 with a manual 6 speed! very rare car. Time to move on......so since I have been a BMW driver for 20 + years...I have only the 5 series 528xi or 535xi to choose from that offer a stick. The 3 series is too small....kids!

Does anybody have an opinion on a stick 528xi manual or 535xi manual or new Audi A4 manual? Is there any other all wheel drive sedan with a stick in the this category?

Thanks
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Does anyone know how strict Spanish LE is on the speed laws?

Very strict. Traffic authorities are constantly setting new fixed and mobile radars. Just now there are launching a new campaign against speeding.

Speed limits are:
    120 km•h on the highways (called 'autopistas' [tolled] and 'autovías' [free]).
    90 km•h on roads.
    50 km•h in town streets.

Madrid-Barcelona and Valencia-Madrid highways are usually under several controls. Be particularly careful in the parkways entering both towns and Valencia (60-80 km•h).

That said, you are not a Spanish resident. That means you have to be pulled out by patrolmen to get the ticket and pay it straight. If you were caught by a fixed radar you could scape the ticket, unless the car was rented or belonged to a friend!

Please, don't hesitate to ask me anything you wish, here or to my CarSpace e-mail.
    Enjoy the drive.
    Regards
    Jose
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Thanks much. I'll be driving a rental and assume that a radar ticket gets charged to the rental company and eventually to my credit card. Correct?

I also assume it doesn't help that I'm a subject of King Bush.
  • Options
    I also assume it doesn't help that I'm a subject of King Bush.

Aren't you a proud American? Just wear an Obama button! :P

TM
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I agree. I've lost my enthusiasm for the XF. There is just something "missing" from that car. It doesn't quite click with me.

Yeah, that's the same feeling I had. I'll take another look when they release the XFR.
  • Options
    …radar ticket gets charged to the rental company and eventually to my credit card. Correct?

Correct. We are very republican for that matter. :)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    FWIW, I've driven a friend's 2008 535xi wagon, equipped w/6-speed stick, & loved it. It's now my favorite wagon, & I'm even kicking around the idea of buying it as a CPO when my friend's 30-month lease terminates in November, 2010. (I sort of bullied him into ordering it with a stick by telling him that I wouldn't drink with him if he ordered it with automatic.)
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the same feeling I had. I'll take another look when they release the XFR.

Why bother?

S6 is where it's at.

TM
  • Options
    S6 is where it's at.

Indeed it is, but it never hurts to check out the competition anyway. I also plan to test the eventual M50x whenever Infiniti gets around to that.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Seems as though Lexus has had some problems with the l 460, and not treated the customers as I would have expected them to treat them, and Hyundia(sp) buying experience has left alot to be desired.....That would be what I would expect to happen without a seperate dealership....Tony
  • Options
    Trust me when I say I was kidding with you. It's fun to check out cars, even when there is no intention of buying. Without a doubt.

I had posted earlier in the thread that the XF is NOT going to save Jaguar. I personally think Jaguar is kept alive by life support. Take away the life support and it's curtains for Jaguar. :sick:

It's simply too late at this point, IMO. The XF already shows the future is too weak.

I am very sad to say it, but I believe Jaguar is dead.

TM
  • Options
    "I was surprised they were the way they were in real life as the pictures I have seen they are muted and menacing looking--rather cool--but not in real life "

Can you tell me which Audi's LED are you referring to? They all have LED running lights now, and each look different. LEDs on A5s and S6s shines white, while R8's and the new A4's looks bluish indeed.

I believe the best way to fix it is either: A) add more LEDs in the liner, decrease the gap between diodes, or B) change the LEDs color to emit the more conventional ivory light. I bet it'll work. Just look at BMW's "angle eyes", imagine those shining blue lights, lookin' cheap right? Angel eyes are beautiful not only because of the design but also the color of the light.

"I really can`t say why for me it looked cheap, but it did...just like too much chrome"
    I totally agree with you on chrome. It adds flash, not class imo. The right ammount of chrome adds class, but too much, well, you know the rest... It's affecting even the highest class brands too, like plague. Need one example? Look at pre-facelift Bentley Arnage with its chrome wheels, ugh..... I do however, find Audi injecting just the right ammount of chrome to it's products, as are other german cars. The domestics seem to love chrome the most. But then again chroming is almost like their tradition, and many, if not most, customers love them that way. Check out Chrysler's "special Dub edition" 300c, I find it hideous but many people think its cool. What can I say.....

Trust me when I say I was kidding with you. It's fun to check out cars, even when there is no intention of buying. Without a doubt.

100% agree :shades:
  • Options
    I had posted earlier in the thread that the XF is NOT going to save Jaguar. I personally think Jaguar is kept alive by life support. Take away the life support and it's curtains for Jaguar.

Everything depends on how much money Tata is willing to throw at the brand. Ford dumped buckets of money into Jaguar, and walked away with basically nothing to show for it. The one possible way out is now that Aston Martin has been removed as Jag's price ceiling, they are free to move further upmarket, which I think is the only way they can survive. The lesson Jag should learn from the X-Type debacle is to never do another X-Type. Jag can never compete with the BMW 3 series, and they shouldn't try.

The XF should be the entry level Jag, and the XJ should be pushed further up. They should bring back the XJ12, and they should build the XKR-R. They need new engines, and it wouldn't hurt for them to do a coupe above the XK either, something to compete with the Continental GT, and even the DB9. If Tata isn't willing to do all of that, then it probably will be game over.

While we're not going to see the kind of mass extinction of automakers that the great depression caused, the current market is going to take out at least a few brands before it recovers, and Jag may be one of them.
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I think that if Jag can pursue handling via weight (rather than tuning as BMW has recently) and luxury via 'class' ( I can't define what I mean here, just less Japanese-techy but also not German-austere) I think Jag may survive.

You're right that it will take boat-loads of money, but also an excellent synergy between marketing and design and a real genius (and enthusiast) at the helm. Unfortunately that combination may be out of reach.

I think it would be a real shame for Jag to disappear. Perhaps this forum could have a whip-around and bring in some friends to pick it up? ;)
  • Options
    I admire and share the dream for Jaguar's survival. But it's only a dream. Those ambitious and extensive plans you and LG have outlined will never happen.

Tragically, Jaguar is dead... and only exists on life support.

TM
  • Options
    Tragically, Jaguar is dead... and only exists on life support.

Pity, anyhow. Regarding Jaguars I am a conservationist—or should I say conservative?

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I want to share my first ever BMW driving experience.

I test drove the x6 inline6. Yes I do know that most of you here even BMW fans hate suvs and hate x6 but anyway,

I can't explain how satisfy I was. The handing was amazing as well as the acceleration. The interior was great like every BMW. I can't describe in words how special I felt while driving.

The funny part was the sales guy was telling its not an everyday car its a turbo engine it won't last longer than 2 to 3 years :surprise: :blush: :confuse:

He was telling me to get the 5 series which is the better car lighter no turbos...
  • Options
    I would also like to add the car was fully equipped with all the options including active steering and 20 inch wheels.

I don't know why would some1 choose the v8 the inline 6 was more than fast enough for me 0 to 60 came in less than 6.4sec it felt even faster.

Also checked out the 5 series well, what can I say, liked it a lot better than lexus cars,feels a lot more special.

I thought I was a lexus guy! Am I turning into a BMW guy :surprise:
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,754
    Some have weighed in on Jaguar, current and future. But what of Land Rover? High gas prices, recessionary times and questionable reliability. What does your crystal ball say about Land Rover?

My brother (well, his wife) leased an LR3 for two years. I believe that they were more than happy when the lease ended and are currently enjoying an Acura RDX (as well as my bro buying his neighbor's '05 Prius... Dude can afford any car I want and he goes used Prius. Oy.)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Why does 5series not have a good crash rating of side impact after all its a bmw :confuse:
  • Options
    I thought I was a lexus guy!

I thought that too, but there are all gone from our garage. :) The current Lexus lineup just bores me. My wife might be interested in the next gen RX or possibly a smaller SUV below that, but I don't see myself returning to the brand.
  • Options
    Monday's fifth gear tested the IS-F against the BMW M3 sedan. Very entertaining.

Part 1

Part 2
  • Options
    As a side note to the forum usual posts, this one is to say the 'Large Hadron Collider' experiment has just started NOW (09:00 GMT+2). From now on, a couple of months to full accelerate particles and two years to notate the observations. May be in near future we will buy the non-gravity car. :surprise:

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    I agree with you guys Tata needs to dish out a huge chunk of cash, plus coming out with new outstanding products.
    Ford, possibly being used to American market's shameless badge job, did one major blooper with Jag, trying to enter the entry level market with a shabby, re-dressed Ford Mondeo, selling them as X-type and asking 40k for it. Maybe Ford thought the world wouldnt find out, I dunno, but the fact is X-type was a suicidal move. Obvious econo-sedan roots, poor build quality, totally out of class- unrefined 3.0l duratec-based engine, what do you expect? Hope Tata doesnt make the same mistake.
    There's more, I'm not sure how Tata's going to find any potential market for Jaguar. I admit it's still very popular in South and SE Asia, particularly the S-type. But the chance for success seems kinda slim. Lets take Audi A6 for example, sales arent exactly outstanding in the US. But in the global market A6 far outsell MB E-class and BMW 5-series, thanks to -by a huge part- China and Russia, where Audi"s popularity is soaring. Not to mention S. Korea, where only BMW seem to be able to catch up in luxury import sales. Can Jaguar do the same? Now the major problem, China and Russia's booming economics help expand the market for Audis. S and SE Asia, unfortunately, aren't doing too well. Thus the market for luxo cars slims down, and Jaguar needs a big one. Not to mention the fact that MB leads the sales for luxury market there, choking Jag's market even harder.

LR may fare better than Jag though, it's still considered a niche car almsot everywhere, so I bet there's still a decent market out there, particularly for Range Rovers. The only thing they seriously need to fix imo, is their terrible customer service, which draw complaints across the globe.
  • Options
    bmlexus, x6 is currently facing turbo overheating problems, so I guess the salesman had his reasons.

Not sure I'll ever want one. Still cant warm up to the styling, though I still think X3 is the worst.
  • Options
    My former 04 5-Series was a fantastic car. In addition, may be you know my family and I (three people) had an accident within that car when cruising at 120 km•h on a highway.

The car ended with two lateral and a final frontal collisions against the safety rails. The first lateral collision was of the sliding sort, the second one was 'like a frontal' after a spin. After another spin, the final frontal collision stopped the car. The front end and flanks of the car were ruined, but the passenger cabin had no deformation. Belts and airbags worked fine. None of us was injured, even minimally.

Not a bad score for a car that I know is not top-rated for lateral safety.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Is Fifth Gear not part of the BBC network?
  • Options
    Thank you, LG.

I'm glad that's cleared up!

I hope Lou sees that. I think he'd be quite interested.

TM
  • Options
    I am posting this with Dewey in mind. I believe he would appreciate this kind of information.

I remember his many detailed posts that were in legitimate defense of BMW in response to some poster troll's attacks of BMW. While not BMW's annual financial report, it is nonetheless an overall independent sustainability assessment of the company which provides a positive perspective of BMW as a company.

Here are some links to this informaiton.

The Auto Channel

Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes - GLOBAL SUPERSECTOR LEADERS (2008/2009)

Sustainability Leader [BMW]
    Member of DJSI World & DJSI STOXX

So... Dewey, what do you think?

TM
  • Options
    Is Fifth Gear not part of the BBC network?

Fifth Gear airs Mondays on BBC 5, Top Gear Sundays on BBC 2. Fifth Gear is currently mid-season, Top Gear should be back by the end of October.
  • Options
    I think that if the new XJ is a gem, it will truly revitalize the brand. It's hard to do that with a midsized sedan, as most midsizers are a little bland.

• Options
    I'm sorry, but this is just too beautiful to die:

I think there are a couple XK owners (and aspirers) who can agree with me on this one ;)