Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• ilrndudeilrndude Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your comments concerning crash tests and safety. (The crash test videos at CR are quite an eye opener, by the way, not matter what car you're looking for.)

I do have one other request for comments/info:

I live in Texas and it gets really hot. We have a Saab 9-5 which is great fun to drive but the air conditioner performs poorly in hot weather, and I mean really poorly. I've learned from friends that other European cars can suffer from the same problem. What about the G? Anyone with overheating problems or a poor performing air conditioner?
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I'm in MA and the summer months here are 90+
    I keep my climate control set to 70.

The farthest left hand vent on the driver's side, I have to keep somewhat closed.
    Otherwise, the cold air causes frostbite on my left arm!

A/C is VERY cold and I've had no temp issues, even while sitting in dead stop traffic on the dreaded Mass Pike.
  • ebg35ebg35 Member Posts: 16
    I live in Oklahoma and we very similar climate conditions as Texas with summer temps in high 90's and low 100's. I agree that the AC is excellent. We have to close vents or routinely change the AC setting to 78 degrees to keep from freezing out.

It is odd though because when the outside temperature is hottest in the upper 90's, I have to keep the inside temp near 78 degrees to keep from freezing out. However, when it is 75 degrees outside, I have to keep the inside temperature at around 72 to 74 degrees to be comfortable. Perhaps the computer is over compensating when outside temps are the highest or the temperature sensor is affected too much by outside temperatures due to placement inside the vehicle.

Anyways - your AC should not be a problem if you are worried about being too warm in the summer. My wife and I constantly comment on how well the AC works even if the temperature on the screen isn't exactly accurate.
  • steverestevere Member Posts: 14
    The A/C is just amazing - dang near freezes your butt off. Had a 100 degree day, get in the hot car, with in 30 sec, i was freezing.

Car has never had an over-heating problem.
  • cmansucmansu Member Posts: 1
    I live in Sacramento and it gets HOT. Not only does the AC work well, but maybe too well. I have had to turn it to 74 after being in the car for 15 min cause it gets cold. And I like it cold.
  • gohmdoongeegohmdoongee Member Posts: 11
    Hiya guys,

I just recently signed the papers on the G35X. I will be picking it up this sat. Now...

I noticed that a lot of people were saying that they got deals with the car where they get lifetime oil changes and such. Was that a promotion? or is this somethign that i should have arugued my way to get at the dealer? Please let me know! thanks!
    I asked and asked.... my dealer wouldn't have anything to do with it.
    This is dealer specific.

To be quite honest, they are making their money somehow.
    If they can afford the $ spent in free oil changes, they're making it somewhere else anyway.

Enjoy the new G and good luck with the wait of 3 more days! :cry:
  • bejasbejas Member Posts: 3
    Picked up our 2007 G35 6MT last week after waiting a LONG 4+ months. We placed our order on April 20th.

Lived vicariously through this forum and of course ScottM - thanks for all your points of view on the G. I'm one of the many benefiting from your indepth knowledge of the G Manuals....

Safe driving to you all...we'll be in the lakeshore slate G35 with "Garden State" plates
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace (or should I say glad you finally signed up! :P ) and congrats - keep us posted on how things go. :)
    Those manuals and the brochure were all I had to keep me warm at night, during the dreaded delivery wait. :cry: :P
    Congrats on the new G!
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    This board has been a wealth of knowledge and tips in my car buying journey, thanks for that!

After going back and forth test driving a few cars, I've settled on an '07 G35 Sport 6MT. My preference is the manual tranmission since that is what I've driven throughout my driving career and it's what I enjoy the most. The only automatic cars I've used have been recently, either as hire cars or driving my husband's car.

The problem is that the 6MT has the Summer performance tires, and I live in Chicago! :cry: Is it even feasible to consider asking a dealer to convert the tires over to all season tires as part of the deal or just include a set as well as the standard tired? I don't really want to have to spend extra money on a spare set of tires in a month if I can help it. Not to mention, I'd have to find space in the garage to store an extra set somewhere!

Of course, I could just get the X instead, but the compromise is losing the real manual transmission. From what I've read the performance is similar, but personally I would miss the clutch and gear change that is fun. Hmm.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    What is Infiniti thinking, putting a new car in Chicago with summer tires in the first place?

Perhaps you can make the tire exchange part of the transaction. You could say, "I would be willing to buy this vehicle if it has all seasons."

Make your sales person think it is a deal breaker and he/she will replace them. Infiniti stores carry tires in inventory. It should be no biggie.
    This should not be a problem, as the dealers are always upgrading Journeys to the sport wheel pack anyway.
    This should be an easy swap for them if they're willing to go a little way to please a customer.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    The performance tires that come with the option package means one should NOT drive in snow/sleet/etc correct?
    The Performace tires are designed for dry, summer conditions.
    This means that they are at their peak performace under these conditions.

The compound of a winter tire, and even that of an All-Season tire is different and they react different in adverse weather conditions.

The G would be fine for occasional poor weather conditions, wearing summer sneakers.
    If you're planning on a whole season of winter driving, I'd suggest All-Seasons at best... but personally, wopuld opt for Winter snow tires on RWD.

My G is my means of transpotation every day.
    My crazy commute promted me to opt for the AWD G35x.
    If I had taken the G35s (which I sometimes wish I did), I would definitely planned on a set of winter tires on wheels, as my commute requires it here in MA.

Your location, amount of driving, conditions, etc. will all come into play here.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    Summer tire rubber compounds typically get much (much) harder at low temps (below 40 deg F, as I recall) and have vastly reduced traction, which gets worse as the temperature drops more.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Anyone have experience in when Infiniti releases the APR incentives for the month? I may have read on this forum in the past that it's somewhere around the 2nd week, but is it something that comes later or more randomly?

As I've only been tracking this for the last 2 months of looking for cars, I don't have much knowledge prior to that. Sort of wish I'd bought back in July when it was 0.9 - 1.9% APR! Unfortunately I saw that offer around the 1st week of August (only because some websites had not updated the change yet and had listed it until 8/31/07) which is when my more intensive car search began. :cry:
    Exactly.
    This is the same reason why Winter tires should not be left on year round.
    Winter tires are a much softer compound and once the temps get up above 45 degrees, you're just wasting your rubber.

This is where All-Seasons come in.
    They don't get too hard in the winter, and not too soft in the summer.
    Every tire company plays with it's formula, trying to get the best performance in each weather condition
  • absherabsher Member Posts: 4
    Many people whom I call (on their cell phones) have trouble hearing me through the G-35's Bluetooth, despite my efforts to minimize road noise, etc.
    Anyone know of options, such as different mic placement?
  • desidoggdesidogg Member Posts: 26
    I have the same problem and I posted a similar message few months back. From what I understand, the bluetooth is device dependent and some devices just dont interact well with each other. Your best bet is a different phone...

I like my present phone so I dont use the bluetooth when in the car (kind of defeats the whole purpose)...
    I have a basic Verizon V3m Razr and I've had no complaints with the Bluetooth at all.
    I was worried too.
    After reading posts on previous G years, the Bluetooth was horrible.
    The redesign including some Bluetooth upgrades, and mine has been flawless (thankfully)
    My only problem so far is using the voice activation to program in the phone numbers.

Apparently the way I say the number "4" equates to "0" using the system, so after many attempts of my husband and I saying "4" back and forth to each other, to try and get me to say "4" the way an average American does, it didn't work easily for me since I just couldn't do it. The rest of the numbers I said were fine though. Wasn't able to transfer numbers directly from my phone, which would have been inherently easier considering the language barrier. It ended up that he was saying the actual phone numbers to program, an interesting Sunday evening to say the least!

Apparently it has trouble understanding my British accent!
    I wish the voice in my G had a female British accent. :blush:
    I asked if the dealer could do that... they couldn't :(

If they could, maybe that would have bridged the language gap for you!
    We must have looked like complete idiots, had anyone saw us. Thankfully I chose to do this at night when the car was sitting in the garage and we had the door shut. He said he'd turn me into an American yet... :P
    Well, I think an inability pronounce "four" correctly :P will surely disqualify you! :shades:
    Laugh!
  • terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    I had these same concerns and went ahead and made the jump anyway (from a TL). I am mixed about the decision. I love the car but I have wind noise and am basically having to live with it until I have some need to make the 2.5 hour dealer trip. Then there is the key fob issue - the dealer needs the car to address it. Finally, the rubber pieces on each side of my interior sunroof keep getting crumpled and falling out. Nothing here is an emergency but a day of my time isn't worth it to drive to have them fixed. So I do love the car, but, no, Nissan (at least in Canada) will not do ANY warranty work; I'm on my own with all these issues, unless I want to pay for them, which I don't. On the bright side, I do love the car, and similarily equiped, it was about 10 g less than the BMW I was considering. (It is nice not to have to pay for a key to the car ;). So for 10 g, I can compromise. Good luck!
    Terry
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I picked up my '07 G35x on Saturday. I'm 6'4" and while test driving the car, I found the headroom just barely adequate (it has the sunroof). So I got the car home and started looking under the seat and saw that on the left front side, there is a threaded rod with a 13mm aircraft nut on the end which holds a thick rubber grommet. The assembly acts as a stop for the height adjustment. I was able to back this nut off a bit and bought myself at least an inch of extra headroom. Just enough to keep my noggin from touching the roof and allows me to sit up a tad straighter in the seat.

Watching underneath while lowering the seat, I can't see that anything can get damaged or that safety could be compromised, but anyone trying this obviously should decide for themselves.
    Terry... I don't have the wind noise issue but a few other here have mentioned it. Sorry to hear about that.
    As for the new key fobs, they're due this month, so we should be seeing the replacements soon.

Your issue with the sunroof finisher is a known issue and there is a TSB on this. (has been for some time)
    Shame on your dealer for not taking care of this before delivering the car to you.

I'd mention it to them.

Enjoy the G!
    I believe those stops at set at a height which allows for rear passengers to still be able to fit their toes underneath.
    It's cool that you were able to get the seat where you like it, but be sure the seat's not too low to allow for a foot to fit under. ;)
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    The toe space hasn't changed much. Still plenty of room for toes, though there isn't that room behind me for anyone above the age of four anyway.

That extra inch or so of headroom really made a world of difference as far as the comfort of the car, and the adjustment is really easy.
    Thanks! I actually didn't hear anything about the sunroof. I agree, I wish they did take care of it before. But I do have the notice about the fobs. And wind noise...that's a toughy. Thanks for the information!

Terry
  • irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    Those rubber pieces have been replaced on my G three times allready, and only a few weeks back they came loose again. Will have Infiniti look at it when I get my next oil change. A small issue yes, but you'd think they would have figured out how to fix something so apparently simple permanently.
    The TSB states that it's fixed with some double-stick tape stuff.
    The pieces themselves are not replaced.

Mine were fixed about 3 months ago and have held up nicely since.
    Yes, Scott, I think the sunroof issue you mentioned is different although I can't say for sure (and I am in Canada). But no recalls in Canada, anyway. I don't understand what those pieces catch on, but they seem to catch on something...at least the cupholders don't hang from the middle of the dash to the middle of the car ;) .
    Does anyone happen to have a TireRack referral number, to be used for discounts on their site at time of checkout?

Pat/Karen... Does Edmunds offer us a refferal code for TireRack?
  • sieveboysieveboy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info..I will try this. I think the Infiniti dealers must do this to get taller people interested in the G35. The test car I drove and the showroom car I sat in at length, both had plenty of headroom, but my new G35x is just barely adequate, especially in the morning when my hair is fluffier and sticking up more than at the end of the day. If this works it will solve a annoying issue!
    Did your test car have a sunroof?
    You lose a little headroom once the sunroof is in place
  • sieveboysieveboy Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the demo did have the sunroof. I did the fix and got the seat an extra ~1/4 to 1/2 an inch lower by turning the nut out until there were no more threads protruding from the nut. It's accessed from the front on my 07 G35x, with the seat all the way up high. There's probably more to be gained by maybe using a thinner jam nut and/or reducing the thickness of the rubber bumper.
  • aongch2aongch2 Member Posts: 8
    All, I need some clarification here. Sport models have been seen with either the chrome 'lip' or 'wing' type spoiler ($500 option?). I know they'd look tacky if both are installed :confuse: but what are my options here? Can the wing type be ordered after delivery? Do the chrome lip come with any particular pkg? :confuse: again. Chime in please...
    The Chrome strip on the back is on all models.
    If you have a car ordered with a Spoiler, it comes with both the spoiler and the chrome strip.

You can see both in this pic...

Hmmm, that does look somewhat tacked on, but I'm spoiled with rear spoilers. My other car, dedicated to track duty -- STi ;) -- has one! So, has anyone ordered one after delivery, and what kind of costs am I looking at for paint and installation, above the $500?
    I honestly think that spoilers on most cars are absolutely stupid.
    Most of these FWD, wannabe sports cars, have these rediculous non functional wings and just make little sense at all.
    I especially love the kits which look like erector sets gone bad. :P

The spoiler on the G is functional.
    The car already has zero-lift front aerodynamics, and with the addition of the rear spoiler, the rear ends up with zero lift as well.

There are other options though, apart from the factory spoiler... some of them look awesome.
    I can't get to the links from here (Stupid proxy at work... always trying to keep me from having any fun), but I can link you to some others over the weekend.
    The optional spoiler on the G sedan is nicely tucked in over the trunk, which I think is a very nice design. And, yes the brochure does say it provides zero lift at the rear. But realistically, I doubt at whatever speed this is effective, it's of any use for a daily driver...it's purely aesthetic. I most probably won't track this car, but can't promise that ;) Anyway, sure, I'd like other options from the aftermarket, Steve. Shoot me the links later.

Anyone else with dealer experiences on post-purchase installs?
    BTW, I was also quoted $500 when I thought about adding it to my G.
    The spoiler comes pre-painted and the price included installation.

I like the look, but not enough to make that sort of permanent commitment, drilling holes into my trunk lid. :cry:
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    :) I had my 05 G35 sedan in service yesterday. They gave me a loaner which happened to be a 07 G35 sedan. I believe it was
    a Journey with premium package. Here's my impression.

Apperance: Not a huge difference. Some I like and some I don't. Chrome finish on rear deck-kind of tacky. Overall,
    nice enough.

Interior/Features: For the most part,looks nicer and better
    quality material than previous year model. I liked push button start and dash layout. I thought center display can
    be brighter and use better graphics. Maybe slightly more
    usuable storage area. Overall I liked it.

Engine/Driving: Even though it's basically a same 3.5 engine
    with some massaging and tweaking to achieve extra HP, it felt very different than my 05 engine. It sounded different and felt different when accelarating. This loaner only had
    6500 miles on it and probably will drive better after few
    more miles on it. This 07 seemed to be slightly quieter and
    had slightly more punch on Hwy driving. I actually like the
    sound of my 05 engine. It has more of grawl and sounds more
    like a small V-8 than typical V-6 engine. Also, 05 seems to
    have slightly more torque at lower RPM than 07. Also 07 felt
    like slightly heavier and tighter in city driving. Overall
    it was nice. I think 08 or 09 models will do some minor changes and will be even better.

Unless you get Navigation/Sports pkg etc., typical MSRP on
    G35 is still around $35 to $36k and that really buys you lots of car. I still say it's the best sports sedan you can
    buy in $35-38K range in the market!
    After getting out of my 6 week old 2007 G35 Sport 6MT last night in the garage, I noticed that someone or something has hit my car about 2 inches above the driver's side, rear wheel arch.

The scratch is about 5 inches long, deep enough so that the paint is missing in places and caused an American football shaped dent about 1 inch tall and just over 1/4" deep. I did not see paint from another car, and I didn't hit anything yesterday (or anything other day!), so have no idea how it happened. Obviously no one left me a note about it. :mad: :cry:

I love my G35, so it's pretty damn upsetting!!
    Gawd.. I hate people who do that. :mad:
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Ouch!! :cry: Sorry to hear about your dent. I have a deep-rooted fear of people, their passengers, and their lack of respect for other people's cars.

kc
    Hey Scott - I have it on good authority that you are being paged in the pre-07 MDX forum ;)