Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra and ABS Brakes

insta_gatorinsta_gator Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I've been shopping dealers for a new Tundra and am
finding that the ABS brake option is almost
non-existent, at least in Georgia. Does anyone
know why this is? It seems that ABS would be a
very common option. Isn't is standard equipment on
most of the Big 3 trucks?

I've ordered to get the options that I want and
ABS. What a hassle. Would have prefered to bought
immediately.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    It's funny how different regions are. I bought my Tundra in the Northwest and didn't want ABS because I do alot of offroading in mud and snow. I had a hard time finding one that didn't have ABS in Oregon. How long will you have to wait for your new truck?
  • insta_gatorinsta_gator Member Posts: 19
    I'm told that it will have to be a 2001 model because the factory is in the process of switching over now. I am being quoted 90-120 days for deliver. I have a hard time believing this but I guess we will see.

I had one dealer tell me that they had searched all the dealerships in the SE, which I believe is about 6 or 7 states, and they could find only 7 trucks w/ABS. The dealer that I ordered through had about 40 trucks on the lot and 1 had ABS. That one was a special ordered unit that the customer had to backout on. Very strange. It is probably related to the fact that there is a Toyota distributor here in the SE that tightly controls what is sold here. ALL Toyota sales have to go through him. He is a very rich man.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    It seemed like every Tundra in the lot I bought my truck from has ABS.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Tundras have no ABS???

Wow amazing. They talk about how safe their vehicles are and their trucks have ABS as an option. They are really ahead of the game.

My 4 wheel ABS is great i can stop on a dime.

Ryan
    What do you drive?
    Must just be a Southeast US problem. I was starting to think that there was a technical "issue" but apparently not.
    2000 Chevy Silverado LS Ext cab Z71

Ryan
    Why did you choose Chevrolet?
    From the first time i sat in it i knew it was the truck for me. I feel that it is the best truck out there. This is my thrid chevy no problems. Parents have had many no problems.

What kinda truck do you have? Why did you choose that?

Ryan
    I have a 2001 Tundra on order. Currently I drive an Acura Legend. The last truck I owned was about 20 years ago. A Ford F-150. The newer trucks are so much more comfortable and efficient than the old ones. I decided that there was no reason not to buy one. Car-like comfort with truck utility. Unbeatable combination.

I have been driving Japanese for quite some time now. Outstanding performance and value. Resale prices are excellent also. These are the main reasons for me going w/Toyota.
    Has checy fixed all the defective 2000 ABS systems? What is their fix for the malfunctioning GM ABS?
    I have no problems with my abs. Never heard of any problems.

Resale value doesnt play in my decision i plan on keeping it for a while probably keep it even when i get a new one for the heck of it

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    High resale on trucks, no matter the brand, has always been a given.
    True. But if you look at the resale value vs. the original cost, Toyota kicks butt over either of the Big 3. If you had a choice between a fantastic truck with OK resale vs. a fantastic truck with fantastic resale, what would you do?
    You might want to visit the NHTSA web site for an update. There is a recall of over 10,000 of 2000 Chevy trucks for ABS problems. Your's might be one.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    are you driving a Chevy as the previous post indicates? When did this happen?
  • grayman1grayman1 Member Posts: 2
    Insta gator would you please share any differences between the 2000 and 2001 Tundra? Has the back seating been improved? Are more options available? Thank you.
    HAHA how can you improve the backseat if the truck doesnt get bigger? Actually for 2001 the truck has actually shrunk (height 3 inches and length 4 inches). Now the backseat is even smaller. You have to sit sideways like those old jumpseats

Ryan
    Ryan: I don't know where you get your info from but it appears to be a load of BS. Why would they make it smaller? That would be stupid. Something generally reserved for the big 3.

Per Edmunds:

Tundra - Newly optional on Limited is a package that matches the bumpers and tailgate handle to the body color. The Offroad package is now available on Access Cabs with a V8 engine, while models equipped with a V6 receive and upgraded alternator. A note pad holder is now optional on SR5 and Limited, Base regular cab trucks lose their standard cassette player. Two new colors are available, filling three slots left vacant by old colors that have been discontinued
    Keeps getting smaller? Hmm i think the big 3 get bigger and toyota seems to shrink kinda like that guys head at the end of bettle juice when that voodoo guy sprinkles stuff on his head.

Ryan
    Very mature comment. Thanks,
    Gotta admit it was humorous thats why i said it

Ryan
    Yea, it was humerous.....to my 3 year old.

Have you made your appointment with your local Chevy dealer to get the recalled ABS looked at on your truck?
    What? Recalled ABS? They are fine. Mine is a late 2000 not a 99. Have u checked with your chevy dealership about buying a "real truck"???

Truck is great 4000 mls so far.

Ryan
    I looked up trade in on a '96 T100 regular cab with 80,000 miles in excellent condition.

$5,555 per Kelly Blue Book

Is this the "fantastic resale value" you are referring to?
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    Ouch.....gotta love that great resale value. A 10 year old C/k will get more resale than that!
    Oh you are a sharp one.
    Your comment is meaningless. $5,555 compared to What??

Resale value ratings are derived from the ratio of a used car's value vs. the new cost. It is a percentage.

If the T-100 you mention sold new for $13,000 and is now 4 years old and is worth $5,555 (wholesale), this would tell you that it retained 43% of it's value after 4 years. On the otherhand, if you had a 1996 Chevy S-10, longbed, V6 with 80,000 miles on it you would see that the KBB lists it's wholesale value at $4,670. Let's do the math. If the Chevy cost $13,000 new and it is worth $4670 used, it has retained 36% of it's value. Hmmmm, which holds it resale value better?
    Give me to Toyota any day. If you take the time to do the research you will see that Japanese autos consistently hold their resale value much better than American cars. No one is saying that you should like them. That is a personal choice. It is a cold, hard fact though that Japanese autos retain their resale values better. That's all.
    Dear Mr. F150: You too have exhibited a complete lack of the ability to make meaningful statements. Congratulations.

To better understand why your comment is meaningless, read my post to quadrunner500, if you can.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The only problem I had with resale on Toyota was when I tried to trade them in to a Toyota dealer. That is one reason I have two Chevy trucks. The GM dealer was willing to pay me $6,000 for my 1990 Toyota (in 1998) Toyota was only willing to allow $2,600. Combine the extra $3.4K trade in with the extra $3.5K discount off MSRP and my Tahoe LT was over $5K less than a 4runner.

I think this is more of a problem with Toyota dealers than trade in value - but it makes it harder to buy a Toy.
    You right about that! Toyota dealerships act like your not good enough for their precious Toyota's. I believe it's the #1 reason more Tundra's aren't sold. They wanted msrp and were getting it here in cali. I wanted to buy a silverado just to spite them, but after the test drive that idea sorta went by the wayside. I ended up buying a Tundra in my homestate of Oregon. Still kinda high on the price, but noooo tax!
    Stop being a bean counter. I understand percentages. Even if I accepted your hypothetical numbers, which I don't by the way...the T100 cost more than the S10 when new, and less than $200 bucks a year difference (your numbers) don't equate to a "fantastic" resale value difference. In fact, it's diddly.

My point was...trucks, any brand hold up their resale value better than cars. Period.
    Don't worry rwell. In the end, you have purchased a better truck.

You mentioned that you drove a Chevy and ended up with the Toyota anyway. Can you tell us why you went that way?
    Toyota dealers sometimes have an attitude but I don't think that it comes from the sales of their trucks. They have some cars and a van that are some of the best selling in the nation and command top $$.

In Georgia, you can negotiate a price right above dealer cost for the Tundra. I ordered (not purchased off the lot) a 2001 Tundra for $500 over invoice. The lot trucks were going for invoice cost.
    I don't want to offend z71 bill. He probably got a good silverado, but here is my experience. Drove a brand new silverado at the dealer. First one wouldn't start. dealer said sometimes they do that after sitting in the sun. second one started, it had a strange vibration at certain speeds. dealer said was normal. power seats didn't work. dealer said they just hadn't got around to fixing it. Rear windows sounded like they were open all the time. The dash had creaks and rattles going over any little bump. There was a big clank in the back (from the springs?) going over the speed bumps at the dealership. dealer said was normal, they all do that. I thought the seats were comfortable but seemed designed for old people (too soft and mushy). I liked some things about it (back seat). But the quality was definetly spotty.
    The actual truck I bought didn't start when I first test drove it. I got the same explanation that the sun can eat up battery life. The fact that the dome light was on was another reason.
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    eeeeew. Please stop before you hurt my feelings.

Kids and their Tonka Toy's, I tell ya.
    It takes much more than that to hurt my feelings-
    BTW - my 99 Silverado has been great. I am almost to 12K miles and only one trip to dealer to have transmission programmed to eliminate a harsh 1-2 shift when in tow mode, and fix a throttle sticking problem. Work done at a normal oil change time so it was not even an extra trip.

As far as value the Toyota dealers in Houston have been advertising discounts of $4,000 the last few weeks on Tundras. Today on the radio Mike Calvert Toyota was selling all access cab Tundras for $5,000 off MSRP. I guess this would be great if you were buying one now - but the resale value of the 2000 Tundra just took a major hit. It is not normal for Toyota to discount this much on a new model. Anyone know why the deep discounts? If Toyota would have been willing to discount the Tundra this much last year when I was shopping I might have bought one. But when I was buying they were talking MSRP (Some were MSRP+) they also offered me $1,400 for my 86.5 Nissan 4x4 King cab, GM gave me $3,200. Net including tax would have been about $3.5k more for the Tundra - Plus I got leather, a locking differential, autotrac and all the other GM goodies.
    The truck turned over fine. The dealer said something about the sun heating and vapor lock. I'm not real confident he new anything except how to presure someone to buy, buy ,buy! I'm glad to see the price of the Tundra coming down with discounts, I hope it helps some folks out, I'd like to see all the truck prices come down and a lot less money going into undeserving pockets.
    My truck sits in the sun every day. Hasnt been extremely hot but it has been in upper 90's most of the summer with 100% humidity never had a problem starting mine. Thats a bunch of BS that salesman gave you. And on the ext cab window noise. Even with my back windows open it is very quiet. I dont even hear anything even at highway speeds (70+)

Ryan
    haha.. I forgot to add that when I got the same explanation from the salesman, I had to step back because I didn't wanna be hit by the bolt of lightning that struck him!

I know they had to jump start my truck with the other next to it on display. It's the same battery and it starts like new. It should because it is new! I hope! The battery I mean.
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    I don't have a clue what Quadrunner looked up, but here's the figures on the T100 I sold last year before I bought my Tundra. I bought my 96 T100 4x4, SR5, Xcab new for $21,250 in July '96. Four years later, Kelly Blue Book now lists the value as $16,705 trade-in, $21,765 retail. How's THAT for resale value? I sold mine to a private party for $20,000 last October.
    They guy loves it!
  • znstrznstr Member Posts: 9
    Test drove a Tundra V8 Ltd today and liked it. Being short, I was going to order a 2001 f150 with adjustable pedals. But sitting in the Tundra, with elbows straight and hands on the strg wheel, , my foot was properly on the pedals.I also like the access to engine attached and other parts. For example, all the spark plugs and coils were easy to access, not like the f150 5.4 L rear plugs. Now I need to decide whether to get a 2000 or order a 2001. Would like to get the Tundra 2WD SR5 V8,Acess Cab with the convenience pkg. Does anyone know if they raised the base invoice price ? The f-150,according to 1 dealer, went up 3.75 %. Thanks,Rubin
    I used a 2wd longbed V6 with 80,000.

I ran it again for your truck...don't know how it's equipped...pasted result below:
    1996 Toyota T100 SR5 Xtra Cab

Engine: V6 3.4 Liter
    Trans: 5 Speed Manual
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 80,000

Local Dealer Price - Used Car

Local Dealer Price - New Car

List Your Car For Sale Online

Online Financing Quote

Online Insurance Quote

Payment Calculator

Another Report

Equipment  Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    AM/FM Stereo

Consumer Rated Condition:Excellent   "Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Trade-In Value$11,660 

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Since he sold the vehicle last year, it was a year newer when he sold it. I ran this for a '97. It pretty closely matches what dogster stated.

1997 Toyota T100 SR5 Xtra Cab

Engine: V6 3.4 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 40,000

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Sliding Rear Window

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
    "Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Trade-In Value $17,055
    Trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer owned vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the vehicle ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the vehicle for any mechanical or safety problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    My Toyota also had pw, ps, pb, power locks, windows, tilt, cruise, running boards, bedliner, tow package (hitch and wiring) bedliner, premium wheels, offroad tires, sliding rear window, am/fm cass, premium sound and 29,000 miles in a CA zip code. No wonder Quad came up with a lower resale value - he input 80,000 miles. That's a BIG deduct on ANY vehicle. Anything over 12,000 miles/year is considered high miles on ANY vehicle in any state. So as of July 2000 a '96 shouldn't have over 48,000 or so. The book value doesn't really matter because I got $1,250 less than I paid for my T100, three years later and I had more than one buyer fighting to buy it. That's what really counts.
    Well leave it you guys to compare apples to oranges. The ARBITRARY mileage figure was stated to be 80,000 miles from the beginning. That's not unreasonable mileage for a '96. Perhaps that is high mileage for a Toyota?

But that raises a burning question about why you would sell your T100 with only 29,000 miles if it is so great, and you were so happy with it. How many times have you guys stated that the reason you buy these Toyotas is because you want to keep them 10+ years, 200,000 miles etc? All so much bull, obviously.

I also recall that the original poster wanted to compare resale for T100 against S10. Isn't T100 billed as a full size truck?

I'm quite sure if the purchaser of your trade paid $20,000 for a used T100, he's choking now.
    You must be a good salesperson - I think Toyota only managed to sell 37,000 T-100's in its best sales year. The way Toyota is discounting the Tundra now you can buy a new one for close to $20K. $5K discounts and 6.9% financing in Houston. The 2001 model must be coming out soon.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Mileage for a '96 sold in '99 would typically be at most 15k /yr. That is 45K. That is a far cry from the 80K that you quoted.

As far as all Toyota owners owning their vehicles for 10 yr. who ever said that? I would say that if he only lost at most $2K over 3 yr. why shouldn't he trade it in on a better truck? The Tundra is cheaper and has a Lexus derived V8. I would say that he is a very savvy buyer.

As far as your troubles with your Silverado, I wish you the best of luck. It doesn't seem to jive with one of your previous posts where you said you had 27K trouble free miles. Maybe you stretched the truth a little?
    Sorry to disagree Bama, but some us actually use our trucks more than that. I have 30,000 after 18 months...business use. That's 20,000 miles/yr average.

I should have left it alone, the poster made the correct point for me when he stated 80,000 miles is a big deduct on ANY vehicle. My original point was ANY truck has a better than average resale value, but you, with your infinite 15,000 mile per year personal use wisdom couldn't stand for that. Perhaps your false assumptions about superior resale value for Toyota trucks are because you compare 15K/yr personal use trucks to 20K/yr work trucks? I can assure you, a Silverado, F150, Ram with only 15K/yr has excellent resale comparable to any Toyota. The original poster tried to draw a comparison of T100 to S10. Of course T100, like Tundra has a full size price.

The poster took exception to the trade value I came up for his truck because I didn't know to include his running boards, bedliner, premium wheels etc. However, I doubt those items were included for the purchase price he stated to be 21,250 in July '96. And the arbitrary comparisons we used up to that point were for TRADE IN, not sale to private parties.
    The Tundra goes up 3% for 2001. I have already ordered one so I know this to be true. Other than this, they are relativly unchanged for 2001.

Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.