Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can report that using the Help link at the bottom of the page.
  • Options
    tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    Had my front struts replaced by dealer today because I was experiencing excessive recoil when driving over road irregularities at high speed. The front end would bounce 3 to 4 times and was very unnerving at those speeds. I have a build date of 11/05 and have about 11k miles on my Azera. Unfortunately they put different struts on each side so I am going to have to take it back for them to correct their error when the new strut comes in. They were to replace them with part # 54611-3L041 (post 12/05 build date) instead of Part# 54611-3L040 (pre 12/05 build date) but ended up ordering one of each thinking each part # represented left & right. Had I not looked at my ticket and questioned why 2 part #'s were listed neither my advisor or myself would have noticed their mistake. I have to say however, the car rides better than it ever has, it's not as busy or bouncy as it was before. I felt from the very beginning there was a problem. It was like riding in a heavy FWD car with worn struts. It took 4 attempts with the dealer to finally convinced them to contact the district rep who then contacted engineering to get approval for replacement. So to all who are having problems, be persistent, hound them until you have resolution.
  • Options
    chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I just got my car back from the dealership after having both front strut inserts replaced (shock absorbers). I have not had a chance to fully determine if the klunk issue is gone. I was feeling pretty good until I read tinydog1's post and saw that they installed 2 pre 12/05 build date inserts (54611-3L040). I have noticed so far that the klunk at low speeds seems to be absent, but larger bumps (uneven manholes, etc) still produce some noise. Now that may be normal. I will take her on a 200 mile trip tomorrow. We shall see.

Tinydog1, where did you get the information that determined the strut numbers and pre/post 12/05 build dates? A previous post seemed to indicate that 3L040 was the newer strut, and 3L041 was the problematic strut. Thanks.
  • Options
    tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    The district rep advised the service manager that the 3L040 was installed in all pre-12/05 models. Hyundai updated the struts with the 3L041 after 12/06/05. I was told by the service manager that he was told the 041 was smoother riding but may transmit more road noise than the 040. I did not experience the clunck before, only an overly floaty and bouncy ride, to the point, to be quite honest, it would embarrass my partner and myself to drive it. The dealer had to reorder one strut, a 041, because they goofed and installed one of each on each side. A 040 (left) and 041 (right). The bad part was having to insist that my advisor check with the service manager about the different part #'s on my invoice. The service manager told him they ordered an incorrect strut and to make sure they corrected the problem ASAP. They should have installed 2 of the 041. In any case, the ride has greatly improved and did not notice any noise coming from the suspension on my drive home.
  • Options
    Well, I just returned from a fairly long trip after having my front struts replaced with part #3L040. The noise at low speeds is gone. There is some noise (similar to post 491) over larger bumps at higher speeds, but it does not get your attention as before. So, that being said, I will finally put this issue to rest. Those of you who still have the front end klunk, I highly recommend that you have the dealer replace the strut inserts (shock absorbers). Good luck to all. :D
  • Options
    oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    If I buy an 07 azera now, will I likely run into this problem or do you think they have corrected it on the existing inventory?
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 527
    The postings appear to indicate that some 06's and 07's share the same problem.
    The company does not report any change in the suspension in the 07 model nor a change in suspension at any particular build date.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    How can I tell which struts I have? I never had the clunk noise, but I do think the ride is bouncy over rough roads. However, I have seen several reviews saying the roll and wallowing were problems with the Azera. Appeared to say it was just the way the car was, not an assembly or component problem. Same comments on Veracruz.
    Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    kojack1kojack1 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't had any problems with the clunk noise when riding over bumps in my azera. I will pay close attention to the ride. Is the clunk noise a very loud noise? I'm not sure!!! It seem to ride normal, but the steering wheel do shake when riding 65mph or better. I also have aftermarket wheels on my car 18inch.. the wheels came balance after purchase online. I am going to take the wheels to get re balance. My factory 17in wheels were fine. Thanks ko jack...
  • Options
    grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    It is apparently impossible to determine which of the two numbered struts each car has installed. However, I think it would be beneficial to all of us Azera owners who have had the front struts replaced to look at the repair order. It will identify which strut number we have after the replacement. I assume that the 54611-3L040 was original while the 54611-3L041 was the superceding part. Mine has new -040's and some owners are getting -041's. Maybe there was a bad batch of -040's which now might be without defects.
    The parts dept of my dealer lists both numbers but without any explanation about differences or reasons for the two numbers. He said they are not left and right. Both seem to be identical struts.
    Azera owners need to be looking for the characteristics of each type of strut after replacement. My new -040's seem to have eliminated the rattle or "clunk" but it remains to be seen how long that will last. My '06 now has about 6,500 miles on it but the new struts have maybe 100 miles. Let's keep this subject alive for all of us to benefit.
  • Options
    I am in the midst of a 3500 mile trip.
    I now have about 23k miles on Azzy.
    Front end appears to have loosed up considerably. I can again feel all bumps on road
    Tire pressures have been checked and are OK
    It feels as if struts are offering minimum bounce control,
    Will speak with dealer upon return home, but I am not optimistic about action to be taken under warranty.
    Will report results.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input-it has really been helpful and I look forward to your future reports.
    At 3,500 miles I don't have a problem on my 2007 with build date of Nov 2006-keeping my fingers crossed.
    A 3500 mile road trip? Should provide a real good test of the Azera and all its components.
  • Options
    ihayihay Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a used 2006 Limited, build date April 06, and 11,500 kms.
    Never owned an Azera or Hyundai before ... doing my research ... these forums are HUGELY beneficial.

Question ... given the build date of April 06 ... were the front-end problems rectified by that time .. thus I should not expect the "clunk" problem I ma reading about?
    All feedback much appreciated.
    Thks v much.
  • Options
    filbrooksfilbrooks Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 Limited with the build date of April 2006 and I do have the "Clunk". I recommend that you test drive the car on a very bumpy road. Driving speed around 25-35 mph. Good lock!!!!
  • Options
    I have a 2007 with build date of Nov. 2006 and no clunk. In fact, this site really confuses me.
    I test drove two 2006's and three 2007's before finally deciding on the Azera. I specifically selected bumpy roads and did not discern any clunks or other unusual noises at low or high speeds. Drove the last one for 50 minutes on interstate, country, city and so forth and aimed for bumps.
    They do tend to wallow, roll or bounce, but that is part of the suspension that gets the comfortable ride.
    MOST IMPORTANT: I read the Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and three auto mag reviews where the car was actually tested. They mentioned the roll, but not one mentioned this "clunk" thing. :confuse:
  • Options
    drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    Just returned from my dealer having an oil service change, tires rotated and balanced and the whole car checked out. Spoke to my service manager Doug Landkammer (Hyundai of Westchester in Yonkers, NY)and mentioned to him a past conversation we had about the front suspension, and he told the parts manager to order new front shocks and struts, under warranty--no discussion or having to have someone from corporate Hyundai approve. After they are installed I'll report back how the suspension is doing. I've never had a problem with the suspension, accepting the fact that it is somewhat noisier than some other vehicles. As an aside I had the rear struts and shocks replaced in my 06 Sonata LX6 without any pressure. This is why I have recommended my dealership for both sales and service and will continue to do so. :)
    Don
  • Options
    lapasadalapasada Member Posts: 26
  • Options
    lapasadalapasada Member Posts: 26
    For a list of recalls and Technical Service Bulletins that have been published go to www.alldata.com/TSB.

This web page has several TSB's on the Azera. The one that most of your might be interested in is TSB 06-50-009, Aug 06. Front Drive Axle Noise.
  • Options
    markeggertmarkeggert Member Posts: 12
    Here's another good site for researching Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and even complaints for any vehicle.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
  • Options
    ebr88ebr88 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,
    Great forum. I just bought an 06 Azera Tuesday night w/ 21K miles, build date 3/31/06. Definitely has the clunk on front passenger side. Took it back to dealer (Hyundai of Daphne, AL) Friday to get clunk checked, new cabin air filter, sun shade button stuck, etc. Mechanic said there was a rock in the spring area of the strut? I asked to see where the rock was and lo and behold, the mechanic was gone for the day. I went to go take my car home and half my dashboard was laying on the front seat/ floor (air filter assy). They put it back together, I drove off and yes, clunk was still there. I go back next week to get a new filter and sunshade button. It actually scared me how discombobulated (word?) these folks were. I will keep you all updated. :mad:
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats on your Azzy purchase. Believe me, there is no rock stuck in your spring. It is a bad strut. I had both of my front struts replaced at 14 K miles once other folks on this forum nailed it down and started replacing their struts with sucess(although I felt it was the strut all along, but dealer needed a TSB). The klunk went bye-bye. Granted the suspension is a bit noisy anyway, but there is no mistaking that front right klunk. And the filter replacement takes 5 minutes. I am surprised they stopped mid-task. Find another dealer for your service. Fortunately, my dealer is excellent. :shades:
  • Options
    Half the dash removed to replace the cabin air filter? The owners manual tells how to do it because it is so simple. I periodically check mine and knock the dust out of it if not ready for replacement.
  • Options
    roadkingtc88roadkingtc88 Member Posts: 21
    Are you saying that there IS a specific TSB that allows the Dealer to replace the struts?
  • Options
    No. After I posted that, I thought there may be some confusion. There is NO TSB for the klunk. BUT there IS a problem. Copy these posts and take them in and /or request to see the regional Hyundai rep if they give you any trouble. Once I was sure it was the struts, I went in, told a new service manager about the problem, and this forum, and he ordered the parts. It is such a relief not to hear that lousy knocking anymore.
  • Options
    If you look at the press release for the 08 Azera, it mentions new improved suspension.
    One would think that by this ststement corporate understands that there is, and has been somewhat of a problem up until now.
  • Options
    richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    I have an 07 Azera for which my only disappointment is how it rides. I don't think I have the clunk but the suspension is noisy. When going over smaller sharp bumps it knocks and is easily felt. Larger humps don't knock but I guess it is what they mean by rolls. I can feel the car rolling over the hump with little to no shock absorbtion. My question is will replacing the struts smoothen the ride over bumps and humps in addition to making it more quiet?
  • Options
    RE:547
    Your problem is echoed by many other Azera owners.
    One would hope that Hyundais' "suspension" can be retro fitted to the 06 and 07, and that we can convince the suits to cover this modification under the warranty.
    Me thinks it's going to be a long hard battle.
  • Options
    cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    The wording "new improved suspension" for the 08's is a bittersweet item to see. After 2 years the suits at Hyundai realize that the suspension needed improvement? Give me a break! They should be NOTIFYING 06 and 07 owners that a suspension modification is available for a nominal fee. Don't hold your breath. Jaguar would and has fitted improved parts on existing models. Oh well, I didn't pay a Jag price. You get what you pay for. A case again of Hyundai moving into the uncharted waters of upscale customer satisfaction demands.
  • Options
    I am just now leaving to have my dealer replace the shocks/struts on my Azzy. I had no problem getting them to agree. The service manager said we will just order them. I will report back when the car is finished and I test drive the new front suspension later today.
  • Options
    RE; 550
    I called my dealership this morning to speak with the Service Manager to whom I have been speaking regarding suspension problems.
    Guess what!
    He is no longer employed there. About the fifth since I got my 06 Azera.
    I hope that I will not have to start again from page 1, with the "new" man.
  • Options
    theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    Don-

Good for you...glad the clunk is gone from your Azera!

MANY THANKS for thinking of other owners and paving the way!!! I plan on calling later this week.

Warren
  • Options
    mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    Help! I have had my '07 Azera since March. The dealer claims they cannot determine what is causing this problem - I need to know if anyone else has experienced this. When I get into the car in the morning or whenever it sits for several hours. I start driving and experience a distinct rolling flat/thud-like vibrating sensation. After I drive a mile or so this seems to lessen in severity and almost becomes faint but you can still feel and hear it. The dealer has replaced tires and looked at wheel rims but nothing to be seen. They are claiming this is just normal for a car with these large of tires on it... I've been driving cars for over 40 years and never felt or experienced anything like this... Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!!
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    They are claiming this is just normal for a car with these large of tires on it...

That is the typical line of bull from the typical Hyundai dealer. If you have not done so, get a case file with number started with Fountain Valley, CA. Contact the business manager at the dealership and have him schedule an appointment with the Hyundai factory rep. to meet you there. Also, recheck your tire pressure
  • Options
    Has the ride changed? I have never had a clunk, but the car does tend to roll and bounce when going over rough roads and potholes.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    RE: 554
    The symptoms that you describe sound like out of round or under inflated tires.
    If, in fact, the dealer has changed the tires and has inspected the wheels, it would seem that the struts have a problem that lessens after they have been actuated several times and "warm up".
  • Options
    jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Strut/shock, hmmmmmm, sounds like fluid is leaking around the internal seal, seals during shipping when the car is chained down. Quite often during shipment the car suspension is dead 'x', meaning that 'all' piston travel is eliminated and internal fluid pressure is maximum. Add to this thermal cycle during shipment, cold to hot. This results in fluid on both sides of the seals and the 'clunk' in this case is end play created by the fluid void when the strut/shock piston moves up and down. The fix is to replace the shock/strut.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Tires will flat spot when parked for a while. A couple miles of driving should smooth them out, if it doesn't, something is amiss. Sounds like you may have a slight imbalance, or an out of round condition. Did they really replace the tires?
  • Options
    The ride has improved, however remember this is not a sports tuned suspension. The car does have a softer ride. My previous Acura TL's had a tight ride. Actually my 06 Sonata LX6 has a stiffer ride than my Azzy. FYI my service manager explained to me that when the cars are shipped from S. Korea they are tied down, overly so. They do not off load them in port here but keep them on board, tied down, until they can be put onto transport trucks (saves Hyundai storage fees). He has found many of the Azeras, in particular, have tires with flat spots and probably struts that have been deformed. He has replaced most all of the tires before putting the cars onto the lot for sale. It makes sense and shows that my service manager is really customer oriented. All in all, my Azzy is now riding as quiet as any car I have ever driven. :)
    Don
  • Options
    RE: 560
    One would think that if Hyundai is experiences continual problems with out of round tires or damaged suspension parts due to excessive force used in securing the cars during shipping, they would determine a solution to the problem.
    Cars have been shipped to the US, as well as to other ports for many years, and I can't believe that shippers have not had similar problems over the years and have learned how to alleviate them.
  • Options
    With all the comments several have posted re. strut & shock replacements (for ride improvement and noise reduction) is this a given under warranty protection? Is there anything offical from Hyundai? Can I call my in-the-dark dealer and have the replacement accomplished under warranty without an inquisition?

Thanks.
  • Options
    101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    2 local Hyundai dealers in my area indicate that the Azeras and maybe other models are shipped with ~50psi in the tires and should be readjusted during the dealer prep to 32psi before customer delivery...This is to offset any flattening of the tires during transport.
  • Options
    My point is that not every dealer has been doing this willingly. It depends on the service manager and whether he is predispositioned to be customer oriented. My struts were replaced under warranty. The invoice states that the struts were worn, don't know if that was or wasn't the case. All I can say is that I have an exceptional dealer with an outstanding service manager. My suggestion was and is to have your service manager contact my service manager in case of hesitation. I don't know of any official acknowledgement on the part of Hyundai corporate. In a previous posting I gave you all the name of my dealer, service manager as well as the main service advisor, and the part number. Unfortunately not everyone is getting the same treatment.
  • Options
    Just informed by Pat that he took down my post because i mentioned names so I am reposting without names.
    Got my new struts and this car is now "awesome". The jangling noise going over washboard surfaces at low speed is GONE. Anyone in the greater NY area who wants this done can contact my dealer. I spoke to the service manager and he said he has no problem doing the strut replacement under warranty. The part # is: 54611-3L041 strut assy (both sides). The dealer is Hyundai of Westchester in Yonkers, NY.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks for the repost. :)
  • Options
    RE: 562
    NO!
    There is no TSB, therefore no automatic warranty repair.
    You first must have cooperative Service Manager who will contact area rep. for authorization.
    No authorization or proven defective part, no reimbursement from Hyundai to dealer.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Nixon. The "plumbers" fix the leaks and the ivory tower suits stonewall.
  • Options
    fortinfortin Member Posts: 7
    I bought my Azera 2007 on April 18 2006 and right from my first journey home I noticed an unusual noise form the suspension. Four months later, after four visits to my local dealer and after a formal complaint to Hyundai Canada, the problem has still not been resolved.

The attitude of my local dealer has been well below expectation. The dealer service department first indicated that the noise was normal (first appointment), then the sale representative indicated that he would provide an explanation for the noise I was hearing (second appointment), and finally, after two additional appointments with repair being performed I got my vehicle back without any comment, as if the repair were successful, but with absolutely no improvement.

I understand, from how my case has been handled, that the problem is not due to defective parts but is rather caused by a bad design. I understand also that Hyundai Canada is not willing to do something to resolve this issue. My investigations on Internet, where I could find a multitude of other people experiencing the same problem, confirm my understanding.

I got no reply yet to my formal complaint letter.

Now I am sending electronic mails to consumer associations, to newspaper auto analysts, to TV program auto analysts, to CAA Canada, and every other that can make noise with this problem or can provide me with some assistance. I also plan to call and write to Hyundai Canada repeatedly and inform them of all actions I do until I get satisfaction.

If you can suggest me any action I would appreciate. Just writing on this Forums may not be sufficient.

God luck to every one.
  • Options
    If the front right side klunks, or knocks over bumpy roadway at lower speeds, then you must have the front strut inserts replaced (shock absorbers). The car has a bit of a noisy suspension anyway it seems. Be sure to get the most recent part number for the strut inserts. It can be found a few posts back.
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Sorry you're not getting your problem addressed properly.
    Kind of takes the enjoyment out of your new ride, aye? :cry:

As many others do here, you've not listed your location in your profile?

Are you in BC or down East of somewhere in between? It would seem that if you are in a
    larger city, there'd be more that one dealer. Have you tried other than your local DUH?

Good luck and please keep us posted.

:)
  • Options
    Re;569
    I was not aware that the 07 Azera was available on April 18, 2006.
    That date seems pretty early to me.
    What was the build date of your car?