Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Options
    donrwdonrw Member Posts: 46
    I was trying to post an image, have no idea what I am doing
  • Options
    campolycampoly Member Posts: 13
    I can't figure out how to post a dpf. either

But for fortin here is a link to the TSB that can be viewed and downloaded from the other forum. Just click on the link that I've included below and go to post #200 and click on "shocks for azera pdf."

link title
  • Options
    Campoly,
    Thank you, I had post #192. Question about image posting, Campoly or any one. I have JPG images of the TSB in "my photo bucket". I copied and pasted the HTML image to the message body. I click preview and I see the images, click post and they ain't there. :confuse: .Any ideas?
    Don

donrw Sep 14 2007, 12:20 AM Post #192

Group: Members
    Member No.: 34,301
    Drives: 2006 azera

OK... This thread can finally end...I'm parked at my dealer right now

Dean Sr. Yesterday, 06:46 PM Post #1

Group: Members
    Member No.: 27,973
    Drives: 2007 Azera Limited 3.8

Hyundai has just published TSB # 07-50-007.
    Subject:"Front Shock Absorber Replacement-"Hollow" Knocking Noise"

This concerns the annoying "clunk" many owners have mentioned, and covers Azera's with build dates from 12/05/05 - 02/26/07.

You can print a copy in PDF format @:

http://www.hmaservice.com/index.jsp?SSOSES...Q4PXzlbJ7OgE%2F
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Click the IMG button below the post box one time. Paste in the exact URL of the picture itself. Then click the IMG button again.

That should do it.
  • Options
    Pat
    Gee, you are up early. May be I should read directions next time
    Thank you
    Don
  • Options
    I might still be screwing up. URL code does not seem to work , Html might.
    ">

">
  • Options
    This time I clicked image, pasted the HTML tag, clicked image, clicked review and I see the image in preview. Click post and.....

">

">
  • Options
    Paste the html tag in a post and don't do anything else. Maybe I can see what's wrong if you do that.
  • Options
    Pat
    Ok, I highlighted the HTML tag in
    "photo bucket" and pasted it below, did not click img or url. When I click preview, I see the TSB image. Now clicking post
    Thanks

• Options
    Pat
    One more try , then I am going away
    for a few days. A guess, "in the interest that large photos can hamper our page to render"...a quote from help text.., I think that only " HTML clickable thumbnails " can be posted on this forum.

">

">
  • Options
    Pat
    It appears that this "help answer" should be corrected
    Thanks
    Don
    Now I can go away for a few days :)

You may post a link to a photo or insert the photo using the standard html tag for an image: image

Or you may use the HTML formatting provided beneath the text box. Type the subject of your photo in the "Title." In the message text box, click on "Img". This will insert the first portion of the image tag. Insert the URL of the photo after it. Then click on "Img" again. It should look like this: image

Click on "Post My Message."

NOTE: Photos must be uploaded to a web site or hosting service. This will generate a URL that you can use in the above tag.

As a member of Edmunds.com Forums, you can upload your photos to your personal CarSpace page.

Photos that hamper our page to render, either the photo is too large in size or file size, will be removed by the host.
  • Options
    Ok..Ok..
    Another guess, if the "clickable HTML" is used, it is not neccessary to click the "img icon" before and after the paste in the message body. At least ,if you are with photo bucket.

• Options
    jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Made an appointment with the service manager. Took a copy of the TSB. Service manager and I took a ride and wa-la ;) he ordered the new shocks. Will call with replacement date when they come in. :shades:

Now, we (all of us who visit this site) realize that we have no other issues with our Azeras. Don't ya just hate it when the manufacturer builds a vehicle like this.
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 685
    How many shocks and what part number?
  • Options
    jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Per the TSB, both front shocks, the 41's are out and the 40's are in, again per the TSB. Note: when they order the parts the pc selects the highest release level automatically.

Side bar; after more than a year and rarely seeing another Azera I can now report that I see at least one every third day, or so it seems.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Anyone with concerns about the shocks, ride, etc. should also visit Hyundai-forums.com.
    The reports there are not nearly as favorable as the above regarding the new shocks correcting the ride problem. It also appears that dealers are using 040 or 041 shocks interchangeably.
    Based on my experience,the car has a significant ride problem. Will see dealer next week to see if he agress with getting new shocks.
    I just went on Edmunds site and did an updated review of my car. Went from 10 on ride and fun to drive to 7 and 8. The fun part is that all the bells and whistles work and work well and it is super quiet even at 75 MPH.
    On my 650 mile trip through parts of SC, NC, TN and GA, I saw only a few Hyundais-Sonatas for the most part. Specifically did not see any Azeras at all.
    Interestingly, I got a by name mailer from Mercedes re: testing the new C 300 - thinking about doing it.
  • Options
    Was at local dealership today. Hyundai rep OK' ed replacement of front struts on my 06.
    Service manager was told by rep. to order and use 041 struts.
    Will be in by end of week and hopefully installed next week.
    will report results.
    By the way, the car was in to have battery replaced, under warranty. Manager stated that Hyundai has experienced early battery failure in hot climates. Also stated that the replacement battery is different type, more suitable for Florida climate.
    As battery was not in stock, it will be replaced tomorrow.
  • Options
    Bob
    When you bring your car in, plz tell them that you want to see the old shocks removed from your car, if your build date is 12/26/2005 to present, they should be L041. PLZ note the number of the shock they removed. Your dealer is not correct in reading the TSB, the replacement shock is L040, not L041. Some dealers are making a mistake on this. They told you the part no. are reversed on the TSB, they are not. If the no. are reversed, this should mean that shocks L040 are on your car right now, they are not.

Don
  • Options
    Jim
    I will ask you the same favor that I asked Bob, Plz tell your dealer that you want to see the shocks they remove and plz note the shock no. Your dealer has the correct info on the TSB, change L041 to L040. Bob's does not. Noting the shocks that are removed will prove whether the TSB is correct or not
    Don

#690 of 690 Re: Fianally [floridabob1] by donrw Oct 09, 2007 (8:18 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete
    Replying to: floridabob1 (Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm)

Bob
    When you bring your car in, plz tell them that you want to see the old shocks removed from your car, if your build date is 12/26/2005 to present, they should be L041. PLZ note the number of the shock they removed. Your dealer is not correct in reading the TSB, the replacement shock is L040, not L041. Some dealers are making a mistake on this. They told you the part no. are reversed on the TSB, they are not. If the no. are reversed, this should mean that shocks L040 are on your car right now, they are not.
  • Options
    plannermannplannermann Member Posts: 14
    My Azzy was born on Oct 28, 2005 - I guess that means I am SOL on this?

Should ALL Azera's have 40 shocks?

Any guess on how much these cost if I need to buy them?
  • Options
    Totally confused.
    Don, how do you know 040 is correct and not 041? I have seen some posts where the replacement was the shock with the same number, not a different number. My 2007 Limited has a build date of 11/10/06.
    Took the car to Hyundai dealer yesterday and SM said he would contact Hyundai and order the shocks if they agreed. Has not called to say they did not agree and I do not know why they would not agree.
    Which shocks should be put on the car and where is this information so the SM will accept it?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    #693 of 693 Re: Fianally [scbob] by donrw Oct 09, 2007 (11:43 am)
    scbob
    Below I am pasting a post I made on the Azera forum with my opinion and the reasons why I feel the TSB is correct. Your build date indicates that L041 shocks are on your car now. I called the service advisor and talked to the parts mgr. in the below post. Dealers are saying that the TSB is transposed because they think that new replacement parts will always have a higher no., that is, old part #2 is replaced by part #3, never by part #1. The TSB fix [L040]is not a new part, it's been sitting on the shelf since 12/26/2005.
    It sounds like you do not have a copy of the TSB, go to post#682 of this thread, they are clickable links

Post on hyundai forum
    Just had shocks replaced yesterday. The shock number is 41 not 40 as stated in the TSB. They crossed the number according to the parts department

Steve
    First of all, I am not picking on you. I address this to any Azera owner with noisy shocks. I have yet to contact my dealer re. the shock issue.
    We have Hyundai dealers thru out the country who are not following up on the fix for this problem. Some say the TSB is correct, some say it is reversed, L040 and L041 are installed at random, "flavor of the day".
    My take on this...
    All L041 shocks are the problem on every Azera. Per the Azera parts computer, the first 2006 Azera off the assembly line had L040 shocks. The Azera parts computer shows that from ( 9-2005 to 12/26/2005] L040 were installed on Azeras. On 12/26/2005 to the present, L041 shock was installed on the 2006-07 Azeras.

What is the difference between the shocks?

I believe that L041 were revalved to provide an even smoother ride over a smooth road, compared to L040. There was an unexpected negative for the revalved L041 shocks, all 4 shocks are unable to maintain road contact at low speeds over an uneven surface. Obviously, I can not prove this, but, it is the only scenario that makes sense to explain why the TSB calls for the replacement shock to be L040.

If that is true, why doesn't the TSB say ALL instead of SOME Azeras may experience a hollow knocking sound .

My take....follow the money...Hyundai took it's que from the 13-26 forum members nation wide who have been verbal on this issue. They realize that it is a perception issue, you are using two senses, touch and hearing. 98% of the 30,000 Azera owners[picked that number out of the air] do not perceive a problem.
    Why replace 30,000 shocks, when the problem will go away, after 13-26 Azera's have the front shocks replaced.

The part numbers are not reversed

The shocks on your car now are L041 not L040
    If the correct repair is to replace shock L041 with L041, why publish a TSB that even includes mention of L040. L040 is not OEM on any Azera in the TSB build date range, which is 12/05/2005 to 02/26/2007.
    Also note the second page of the TSB. It clearly depicts corrective action, if for example, there is a leaking shock. It says, replace one shock with the same part number -L041. Hyundai is infering to dealers , if the owner doesn't perceive a shock noise problem , do not replace both shocks with L040, but keep them matched, replace leaking L041 with L041.

All 4 shocks [ L041] are noisy on all Azeras[ 12/26/2005] to present.

A couple days ago , I visited the Hyundai parts counter. My question ,"is there only one part nunber for the rear shocks?" There are two part no., and both end in L040 and L041 . The build date change is the same for the front shocks and the rear shocks , 12/26/2005. This supports my feeling that all 4 shocks have a knocking noise.

If this is true, why doesn't the TSB say, some front and rear shocks.

Follow the money, only a couple owners on these forums have even mentioned rear shocks. The perception is not rear shocks.

Has the TSB corrected the problem- Ok, ruffle feathers time

I think that the placebo effect is alive and well. If the Hyundai doctor tells you to take pill L040 or L041 for a few days and it will make your front shocks better, your perception may over ride your senses in some cases.
    The consensus seems to be,"it's better but!", regardless of which shock is the replacement.

My feeling is to wait until the 2008's hit the street, Hyundai claims to have revalved all 4 shocks, and then bang on the dealers door.
    I would like to hear the opinion of others on this shock issue, if my logic is wrong, what is the truth

Don
    these 2 links are the TSB, you have to copy and paste
    (IMG:http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/donrw/Copyoftsbazera.jpg)

(IMG:http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/donrw/Copyoftsbazera001.jpg
  • Options
    :sick:

There's a lot of copying and pasting of existing posts going on around here and I, for one, am having trouble following who said what where and how many times it might have been said.

The best way to refer to previous posts in this or in other discussions is to simply copy the link which is the post number of the post you want to call attention to (right-click on the post number and choose something like Copy Shortcut or Copy Link Location) and paste that link in your message (right-click in the message area and choose Paste). That way you don't have to copy the whole message and everyone is clear about the origin of what you are highlighting.

Also, to display images the best thing to do is click the Img button beneath the post box one time, paste in the URL of your image and then click the Img button one more time. Message board syntax is often unique, so don't rely on what you've learned elsewhere.

The Help link below should be useful.

:shades:
  • Options
    Pat
    Sorry for the confusion, the post above that I pasted is mine from the Hyundai forum not the Edmund, I hope it's not against these forum rules.
    We talked about image posting a few days ago and I have trouble posting anything except a clickable link image and I was trying to follow the advice you gave me several days ago. I will practice your "shortcut method". I do want to post again, and I want copy and paste one sentence from a previous post on this forum. In this case, I think my existing way of doing it would be OK and not confuse things.
    Thanks
    Don
  • Options
    Okay, cool! I said I was confused!! :blush:
  • Options
    Regarding, trying to confirm that the TSB is correct as written and the only correct fix is using L040 only as the replacement shock, I read the below post . The service mgr. being quoted, seems to support my premise. I emailed tinydog1 and hope to talk to his service mgr.
    I have stated in an earlier post that I think L041 is a revalved L040, which provides a smoother ride on a smooth surface than L040, but has the side effect of "hollow knocking noise". L040 does not have that side effect.
    Don

#525 of 697 Re: New struts [chilliwack] by tinydog1 Jul 27, 2007 (11:52 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: chilliwack (Jul 27, 2007 9:25 pm)

The district rep advised the service manager that the 3L040 was installed in all pre-12/05 models. Hyundai updated the struts with the 3L041 after 12/06/05. I was told by the service manager that he was told the 041 was smoother riding but may transmit more road noise than the 040. I
  • Options
    RE: 698
    My Azera, pre 12/05 is having struts replaced next week with 041's. The Service Manager of my local dealership was instructed by the Hyundai rep. to use the 041's for all warranty repairs.
    He was also informed that the 08 Azera suspension has been modified to the degree that it would be impossible to use 08 struts as a replacement for those used on the 06 and 07 models.
    I do not believe all of the information disseminated by Hyundai corporate, but this is the current position taken by the company.
  • Options
    This is what I'm talking about in terms of linking previous posts instead of copying them:

tinydog1, "Hyundai Azera Front End Problems" #525, 27 Jul 2007 11:52 pm

I did a right-click on the highlighted post number at message number 525, then a Copy Link Location (in my browser, could be Copy Shortcut or something similar in yours), then I came to the body of this message and did a right-click and chose paste.

What you see then is not what you are going to get at that point, but when you post that pasted material, it will look like what it does here.
  • Options
    drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    Bob, I have already had my struts replaced using the 041's pre TSB. This is just "so much ado about nothing". I have responded to donrw previously with the statement that my SM has indicated that if I was not satisfied with the suspension he would replace the new 041's with 040's ala the TSB. Let me be quite definite about this, my Azzy is riding more than satisfactorily. In addition I had a service which included rotating the tires and re-balancing. Had the car out on the Interstate highway on a day trip and had it up as high as 80 to 85 mph(faster is not necessary) and the ride was excellent in addition to the ride being excellent at low speed over rough surface. I am too old to get my nose bent out of shape, unless there is an impossible situation. My message to don is let them do the front strut fix and stop "sweating the issue". You will only start building an ulcer or worse. Too much confusion especially for newbies. :confuse:
    the other Don
  • Options
    Pat
    I am not ignoring your advice, I mentioned in post #696 that I wanted to reference only one line of a previous post by copy and paste in my new post. I did that to focus the reader on the single point that I felt important in the previous post.
    Thanks
    Don
  • Options
    *** instructed by the Hyundai rep. to use the 041's for all warranty repairs

Bob, plz be more specific. Are they suggesting using 041 for all repair regardless of build date, or just those with a build date pre 12/2005. Does that mean they tore up the TSB?. In your case the TSB does not apply.
    Bob, I think I understand Hyundais approach now :) Plz stay with me on this. Your Azera fell between the cracks of the TSB...pre 12/05/2005, so if you experience a hollow knocking sound, they will correct it by installing L041. I take my Azera [ post 12/2005 ]in because I experience a hollow, knocking sound and per the TSB, they install L040.
    I just got an idea, we will save Hyundai some money. I am taking the front shocks [L041] off my car tomorrow and Fedexing them to your dealer. Tell your dealer to put them on your car and I will do the same here with your L040 shocks when you send them. Then we will both be happy campers. :) Plz don't get me wrong, I am not poking fun at you, you are the "messenger" passing along info.
    I don't about you, but this is becoming more fun than Seinfeld reruns.

Bob, being serious for a moment. I have made several attempts to give my take on this noisy shock issue. I ask you the question re. the TSB which states," some front shocks on Azeras [build date 12/05 /2005 to 02/26/2007] exhibit a hollow knocking sound".....What condition concerning the OEM L041 will cause some of these shocks to be noisy? As you may recall, I maintain, every post 12/26/2005 L041 shock has a knocking sound, front and rear.
    Don
  • Options
    **** 08 Azera suspension has been modified to the degree that it would be impossible to use 08 struts as a replacement for those used on the 06 and 07 models.

Did you really expect a different answer, can you imagine Hyundai allowing the dealer to choose between 3 shocks, when they can't decide now with 2 different shocks.
  • Options
    RE: 703 and 704
    I am only relaying the information that I was given at the dealership.
    As this is a warranty issue, I must allow Hyundai to do their thing, whatever it is.
    If they install 041's and they perform well, case over.
    If they install 041's and they perform lousy, they will hear from me again.
    When the 08 Azera actually is at dealerships, we will all know if the redesigned front suspension is more than just different struts.
  • Options
    drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    Good message! I should think that would be all the interplay necessary. That's my take exactly. I had 041's as replacements, and they are good to go. SM will replace with 040's if I am not happy as per TSB. That's good enough for me. :)
    Don(other) ;)
  • Options
    markeggertmarkeggert Member Posts: 12
    I took my early '06 Azera to the dealer here in St. Petersburg, FL last week as a result of the strut related TSB. They confirmed the strut noise and ordered new struts, but I don't know which part numbers they ordered. One interesting side note... I've been running my tires at 35 PSI and have become used to the sharper steering response. The ride is only very slightly stiffer.

After I got my car back from the dealer, the noise from the front right strut was a lot worse over the same routes I drive daily. When I got home and checked the tire pressure, the dealer set them all down to 29 PSI. When it was cool the next morning, I adjusted them back to 35 and the strut noise, while still there, is much less pronounced than when the tires had 29 PSI. Also with running them at 35, I've been averaging much better MPG. I haven't reset my overall MPG since I bought the car almost a year ago and with about 60/40 City/Highway driving, it's showing 23.5 MPG overall.

They just called to say the struts are in and I scheduled the appointment for next Monday. I'll repost what impact the strut replacement has and the part numbers installed.
  • Options
    boisdarcboisdarc Member Posts: 5
    I had the front struts replaced yesterday with the L040 on my 06 azera ref the TSB. Have not had a chance to drive it much, but it seems a little stiffer which I like. I also carry 35 PSI in my tires. They programed the automatic door locks, but did not know much about the limp home mode and did nothing with it. They rotated and balanced my tires [7200 miles]. Dealer charged 25.00 for the programming but no fee for the tire balance and rotation. This was done by a dealer in Hempstead,Texas.
  • Options
    Mark
    Plz do us a favor to establish some shock changing continuity on this TSB. Plz tell your dealer that you want to see the old shocks taken off and verify whether they are L040 or L041, also give us your build date.
    Thanks
    Don
  • Options
    jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Wow, like the title says, just happy I got an O7 model without the problem. Although I have consider the coil over shock performance set from Seoulful racing. They also offer a fairly inexpensive ($85) performance strut bar (goes over the engine connecting both strut towers for increased handling.
  • Options
    My Azera was built Feb 9, 2006. I'll let you know what P/N struts were installed and what P/N they replaced them with next week.
  • Options
    chrisa222chrisa222 Member Posts: 17
    Hey Guys, I have been lurking for a while, first time posting.

I have a 2006 Azera, of course with the clunk. After getting all the info from this forum, I printed out the TSB and took it to my dealer (I had been there months ago about the clunk and was told it was 'normal'). Thanks to you guys, they replaced my struts yesterday. They replaced the 041 struts with 040 struts. Here are my thoughts:

The car IS quieter. Do I still hear a clunk-type sound over rough surfaces at low speeds? Absolutely. But it is about 50 % better, and I can now deal with it. IT handles the same to me, rides the same, it is just quieter. Overall it is a very nice, albeit flawed car. With the price savings, I can deal with some front-end noise.
  • Options
    Chris
    Thanks for the info, I believe that your perception is the best you can hope for. The replacement shock L040 is a temporary fix to quiet the frustrated 2006-07 Azera owners. I believe that the L041 that they removed from your car is a revalved L040 shock. L040 was installed on Azeras until 12/26/2005. L041 is a softer shock that has the undesired side effect of "hollow knocking sound and floating. That is why Hyundais TSB fix is to replace your front shocks with the old shock L040.
    I believe Hyundai has clearly addressed this problem with the 2008 model. Their press release clearly brags, "suspension improvement with 4 revalved shocks. I believe that their further tinkering has reduced the shock issues even more.
    Cris, plz pay attention to the the rear suspension re. noise . I hear the same sound front and rear, like 2 tennis balls shaken in a 3 ball, driving over some uneven surfaces at low speed.
    I want the dealer to replace 4 shocks with L040 or the 2008 shocks when they hit the part shelves. I am gonna wait until that time
    Don
  • Options
    QUOTE...I am only relaying the information that I was given at the dealership.

Bob
    You are in a position to do this thread a great service when you bring your car in. Politely insist to the service manager that he explain to you why they want to replace your L040 shocks with L041 [your Azera build date falls out side the affected vehicle production date range of the TSB] and would install L040 shocks if your Azera fell within the affected date range. Note the expression on his face at that moment, it will remind you of a deer caught in headlights :) . His first response might be," I will check on this, but I believe our Hyundai rep is on vacation. I suggest that you wear your golf cleats and threaten to jump on his desk.
    Bob, plz consider this, it will be helpful info
    Don
    We await your report
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Has anyone tried to cross part numbers with the Kia Amanti?

Has anyone driven one to see if they experience the same problems that we are experiencing?

:)
  • Options
    chrisa222chrisa222 Member Posts: 17
    Hey Don,

I don't notice any noise from the rear, and I was just a backseat passenger for a 400 mile trip. It is only coming from the front.

As a side note, I do hear a rattle coming from the drivers door area, have brought it in about 4 times for it, and they claim they can't hear it or fix it. They have tried taking apart the door and putting it back together, etc.

Oh well! Still like the car!
  • Options
    QUOTE....Has anyone driven one to see if they experience the same problems that we are experiencing?

Derrel
    We have project for you, plz take an Amanti out for test drive and let us know. Since Temecula is a small,slow developing area :) , you may find a Kia dealer in San Diego on I 15 and El Cajon Blvd.
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Corona is much closer to me here in Murrieta, so I will stop by there when I'm in the area. Perhaps the parts guy is hep?
  • Options
    The service manager ordered new shocks, -040 per the TSB.
    Build date on my 2007 Azera Limited is 11/10/06.
    Not really sure what a hollow, knocking is, but my car definitely has bouncing and floating over high speed dips, as well as harshness over bumps at low speed. Hoping -040's will improve the ride. A post on this or another website stated new -040's did substantially eliminate the roll, etc.
    I will ask to see the old shocks, maybe even keep them.
  • Options
    RE: 720
    If it's a warranty repair, the old parts must be returned by dealer to the parts distribution center.
  • Options
    I just picked my Azera up from the dealer after the strut replacement. I asked the service adviser if we could look at the old struts. We couldn't find a part number on them anywhere. He did confirm that the new struts installed were the -40s. I didn't hear the front end clunk at all on the 5 mile drive home, some of it the same route that I drive daily. Maybe the ride is slightly stiffer now, but I'm glad the noise seems to be gone.
  • Options
    altazeraaltazera Member Posts: 51
    my dealer replaced the complete strut assembly and the problem is solved. Now I have a nice quiet car.