Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re 807 dated Nov 16: "Local dealer in West Palm Beach, FL said that he expects 08's to arrive within 30 days."

Well, have they arrived?
  • Options
    washronwashron Member Posts: 5
    I had my struts replaced 2 weeks ago. I didn't know I had a problem---the new struts are significantly quieter. My dealer, Fairfax Hyundai provides outstanding service. I always get a call from their Customer Satisfaction rep after service. As with many Hyundai dealers they have older facilities but are trying to improve to the new image of Hyundai/Genesis. :);)
  • Options
    grgoebgrgoeb Member Posts: 8
    I am to pick up new 07 Azera (build date 11/06)next week. I have been reading about clunk issues,strut/suspension problems. What advice do forum members have for me? Are there other consistent Azera problems I should know about?
    Should I speak to my dealer about my concerns before I sign on the dotted line?
    I am new to forum . I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    re 829: I suggest the following before you "sign". Go in on a week day when the service department is open. Take a tire pressure gauge to insure tires are not overly inflated to 45 psi as they are when shipped from Korea, Then take a very long test drive over various road conditions. If you hear or sense the "clunk" refer to the original TSB and have it noted as a pre-existing warranty issue. Next, have an understanding that limp home, door lock, easy exit and other computer settings available will be done to your specifications without charge. The best way to do that is have the sales manager and a mechanic there to explain all the options and program them while you wait. If you go in after the fact, and reading the owners manuel you will probably be charged $45.00.

Most Hyundai dealers will stonewall warranty "issues" and plead ignorance to published TSB's with the "they all do that" and "it's normal" and the unbelievable "what TSB"?

Should you process, you'll have a great car / value, even though no one will have a clue as to what you are driving.

Good luck!
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 829
    It is impossible to determine every defect that might be present in the particular car that you purchase. Discuss the possible strut situation of which you are aware with the Sales and Service Managers prior to making your purchase and get their assurance that if you car has this problem, that they will deal with it immediately.
    If you are too concerned with this potential problem, I would suggest that you purchase a different vehicle.
    Buying a new car is supposed to be enjoyable, don't stress over it.
    The Azera is a good car, and most of us who experienced any difficulties have had them resolved.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you for comment. I plead ignorance . What does TBS stand for? Also , what is 'limp home, easy exit"? Also , in reading the many clunk issue comments on the forum , I never really read a good description of exactly what the 'clunk' feels or sounds like??

Merry Christmas
  • Options
    re 832: "TSB", Technial Service Bulletin, in this case TSB # 07-50-007,
    Group: Chassis, published Sept. '07. "Front Shock Replacement - Hollow Knocking Noise." The exact description seems to vary from owner to owner. In my case, the annoying noise at certain speeds on certain road surfaces is coming from the rear and not the front suspension.

Limp Home, (in the event of an electrical problem which may otherwise disable the car),allows you to enter a predetermined code # and thus "limp home or to the dealer for service. Easy exit seat adjustments and auto door locks are computer settings for the steering wheel and locks you determine is best for you. My doors lock when place in gear, unlock when placed in Park. The mechanic can program with a handheld device.

Thanks, Merry Christmas to you as well.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    I concur with the other replys.
    I have 7,000 miles on my 2007 Limited with Ultimate package. Everything works like a charm. Had the struts/shocks/whatevers replaced a few weeks or so ago. The ride improved a lot and the noise went away. Handling is also better.
    However, the car does not ride as well as it really should due to the coil springs or some other suspension component which cannot be replaced.
    On irregular road surfaces, you feel it in the seat. Could be the seats, but I don't think so. However, the Edmunds Editors said the same thing about the Infiniti M35.
    I test drove a Lexus LS 460 and an Infiniti M35 this past week for the heck of it. LS is very comfortable, but at $64,500, it should be.
    The M35 ride at $43,500 was only a little better than my Azera over the same roads. Didn't have near the bells and whistles of the Azera.
    I have noticed that cloth seats tend to be more comfortable than leather ones, at least to me.
    It is still a very good car, gets better gas mileage, has more toys and costs a heck of a lot less.
    BTW, Carmax offered me $18,000 for mine in excellent condition.
    Upstate Hyundai in Anderson, South Carolina has been excellent to work with. They even reset the auto locks and the limp home code a second time at no charge. When I said I wanted new struts and gave them the TSB, they ordered them no questions asked.
    Enjoy the car and accept that all cars have some trade offs. :):)
  • Options
    hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I thought that the "limp home code" was used if someone tried to steal your car and tripped the alarm with causes the system to deactivate the engine. This code would allow the owner to restart the car and get it to the dealer ????
    I'm I wrong about this ???
  • Options
    Hello all:
    Thanks for comments.Would an Azera with build date later in 2007 be less likely to have suspension/ride problems ( date on vehicle I had planned on purchasing is 11/06)?? On non ultimate Azera(limited only), does steering wheel allow for computer settings ?
  • Options
    re 835: You are correct regarding tripping the alarm in a theft attempt.
  • Options
    Re 836: The TSB reads: "Some Azera vehicles produced from December 5 '05 to February 26 '07 may exhibit a hollow knocking noise from the front suspension while driving over rough road surfaces at low speed"

Knowing this, it might be wise to consider a build date later than Feb 26 '07 if one is available and you can get the deal you have been offered that now makes you inclined to "sign".
  • Options
    matt215matt215 Member Posts: 6
    First, I would like to thank all of you for your posting regarding the problems with you Azeras. I have been monitoring the conversation for the past year and recently decided to chime in. I purchased an ‘06 Limited/Ultimate package in Nov 2006. By far it seemed to be the nicest car I have owned to date. I traded an 2005 Acura RSX Type-S. Based on all the positive information I have read, I was ready to take a chance with Hyundai. At first, the car was great. I did notice the sloppy front suspension, but since my previous car was a sports car, I figured that I just wasn’t used to it. The “clunking” did start to get worse over the 17,000 miles I drove it, but never so bad that I brought it back for that. It took about 6 months for quality issues to start surfacing. At first, I noticed a cracked developing around the front pass airbag. Within a month, you could completely see the outline of that airbag. Concurrently, the automatic steering wheel stopped working when the key was removed from the ignition. After 5 days in the shop, and about $1500 worth of warranty work (whole new dash and steering column) was completed, those issues were fixed. At that time, there were intermittent problems looming too. The heated seats didn’t turn on all the time and the rear subwoofer would rattle during certain bass heavy songs – not at high volumes. They couldn’t detect either at the shop by themselves so there was nothing done to it then. Last month (Nov 2007), the list grew quickly. The speedometer needle developed a “tick” at steady speeds, the dash that was replaced began to rattle, the rear sunshade jammed and stripped the gears, the heated seats turned on when they felt like it, the speaker rattle became so bad that I barely used the radio, the heater blower was now squeaking, the steering wheel started to not retract again, and the tranny developed a harsh downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Knowing that I still had 4 years of payments left, I decided to bypass the service department and go to the sales manager at my local dealership. I basically felt at that point that mine was become a chronic problematic vehicle and no had confidence in its reliability. Due to the current financing promotion of 0% APR for 72 months, I was able to trade for an ’07 and not loose my shirt. As soon as I drove the new one, I could tell the difference in every respect. The front is whisper quiet and much tighter. Even harsh bumps are absorbed like they barely existed. I do feel that the later ‘07’s were tweaked and much improved. I suggest that anyone who is having front end problems, request that you and the service manager ride in a brand new vehicle to see the difference. There is a great difference and that is how they should ride. So far, I am happy with the new one – for now. I hope that this vehicle lives up to the expectations that Hyundai is selling. Has anyone who is reading this had any of the similar problems listed above?
  • Options
    I am considering discussing the TBS (07-50-007) issue with the Service Manager before I buy this vehicle Wednesday. I am considering asking him to address this now, and not wait until the clunk/suspension problem arises. Is the 'remedy' for this TSB new struts(041 or 040) or are there other changes that should be done ? Which struts ? Would this be an inappropriate request for me ? I assume that dealer would be fully reimbersed by Hyundai for the strut work . Any other thoughts? Thoughtful comments are much appreciated.
  • Options
    re 840: Before you sign I suggest you try to arrange a meeting on the front side with both the service & sales manager, although I doubt you will be accomodated on that. Chances are one or both will plead ignorance to the TSB. The biggest fear for the selling dealer is a well prepared and knowledgable potential customer.

The TSB is not an iron glad guarantee for improvement by any stretch. I have read posts from other owners that claim no improvement after the switch, regardless of 041 / 040.

Nothing within reason is "innapropriate" before you commit that kind of money and by all means the dealer will be reimbursed by Hyundai for any / all warranty repairs.

Get everything documented on dealer letterhead before you reach for your checkbook.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Did Hyundai change the Azera suspension after 2/26/07?Is there some change made in vehicle after Feb. manufacture dates that eliminates the suspension /clunk problem? This would be a reasonable reason to buy later vehicle.
    Right?
  • Options
    drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    re:840
    If you haven't signed a check yet then you are in the driver's seat. Don't buy until you get a written commitment from the sales and service managers. I will say this though, if you have a good service manager, such as I have, you won't have any problems. I have an 06 Limited and just mentioning the noisy front end got me new shocks, before the TSB came out. If you do one thing, establish a relationship with your service manager. It will serve you well, in the future. My Azzy is 16 mos. old and has 12,000+ miles and it is truly one of the best cars I have ever owned. This is comparing it to several Acura TL's that I leased previously. I also own an 06 Sonata LX6 and love that car too. My wife drives the Azzy, primarily, except when we are using one car together then it's the Azzy. Get any doubts cleared up. Hyundai suspensions are not as quiet as some of the luxo cars but overall you will find the Azera a comfortable, quality built, well priced car with most all of the bells and whistles that would cost you thousands more in another car. I call your attention to the fact that there has been a massive recall of Lexus in Japan and here in the US. Also a huge recall of GM cars among Cadillacs, Pontiac's and Saturn's. The 2007 Toyota's didn't fare too well either. So drive the flying H with pride, I do. :)
  • Options
    RE: 843
    What kind or written commitment would you be looking for?
    What would it state.
    The vehicle comes with a written warranty.
    If that is not good enough, what would lead you to believe that a written commitment by a dealership employee gives you more security and protection?
  • Options
    Re 842: Notice the TSB says "some" within the specified production period. If they did make a change in production resulting in elimination of the problem and product improvement, I am not aware of what they did nor would I expect they would ever publish it. It would only create more attention.

The TSB is an in-house admission of a problem not serious enough to mandate a recall. They will roll the dice on an individual basis and pop for front shock replacement as a good faith gesture / commercial consideration.

These guys are crafty. They made 3 entirely different '07 Azeras for 3 markets and keep their US dealers in the dark. Point being, Hyundai has published the features and benefits of the '08 Azera, one of which is improved suspension. Trouble is, you can't buy an '08. If so, they could claim '07's produced after 2/26/07 have the "new improved" '08 suspension.

You know there is the possibilty of a problem with "some" based on remaining product for sale with a build date before 2/26. Avoid the "if only I had" and focus on a later build date.
  • Options
    RE: 845
    "Recalls" are issued for safety issues only.
    TSB's are advisories that usually come into effect upon the complaint of an owner.
    Dealerships usually do not advise customers about TSB's.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TSBs and recalls are very different things. Recalls involve safety issues and apply to all of a certain set of vehicles. The manufacturer attempts to notify all owners to bring their vehicle in whether they've noticed the issue or not. A technical service bulletin is issued to a dealer explaining a remedy for a problem if an owner happens to experience it and report it. Like floridabob1 says, owners are not specifically notified and also, they may never need to have it applied.
  • Options
    re 847: Pat, you and floridabob should read my post again. I never implied TSB's and recalls are one in the same or in any way connected. I simply said a "TSB was an in-house admission of a problem not serious enough to mandate a recall".
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well a TSB could be very serious, it's just not a safety issue so isn't a recall. Also a TSB is optional for the dealer. He isn't required to do it.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Wait for the 2008 if you can. Supposedly they redid the suspension and the problem is more than just the struts.
  • Options
    re 850: Wait for the 2008 if you can. Supposedly they redid the suspension and the problem is more than just the struts.

I believe the gentleman said originally he was buying an '07 Wednesday of this week With regards to the '08 Azera being distributed in the US, it might be the 4th of July we will be celebrating the way things are going.

Can you imagine some bean counter sending wire transfers from Korea every month to US banks for "08 Azera storage"
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I just checked Fitzmall's website and they have two 2008 Azeras listed as "coming soon". I would have dismissed it except that they have stock numbers and VIN numbers for both and that usually means the vehicle is in transport to that dealer. Maybe they have finally been released from the "port"? :confuse:
  • Options
    Well, I don't think you and I are necessarily disagreeing, but I wanted people to understand the difference between the two of them and the fact that safety issues are the only things that generate recalls. Recalls aren't some higher scale of TSBs, again, for everyone's information.

No worries! :)
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Recalls involve safety issues
    Not necessarily so. All 1999 Mustang SVT Cobras were recalled because they had up to 15HP less than the advertised 320HP. I wouldn't call having only 305HP a safety issue. The recall involved new mufflers, intake manifold honing and computer reprogramming.
  • Options
    RE: 854
    You are right! I stand corrected.
    It shows that there are exceptions to the rules.
  • Options
    andysamandysam Member Posts: 9
    Got what I thought was a great price. I was a little concerned about the car having 80 miles on the odometer. After I bought (Saturday, 12/22) I read the posts about front end problems. Didn't drive the car yet (only home from the dealer). Sure enough, build date is Feb/05/07. Also, I paid $30 for carfax. Carfax reports on Jun. 01/07, this VIN had a pre-delivery inspection. Does it mean it was sold to another customer who may had subsequently returned it? Should I go back to the dealer about the two issues? TSB and pre-delivery inspection? :confuse: Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know, I should've looked into these before signing.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Recalls involve safety issues. See this link: A Quick Guide to Recalls.

That said, let's keep in mind that our topic here is the Azera Front End Problems and aim to get back on track.

Merry Christmas everyone!! Let's all go a'wassailing and enjoy the season!

:)
  • Options
    uhappywazerauhappywazera Member Posts: 3
    As I read post #839, it was verbatim the problems I am experiencing myself. I have a 2006 Limited/Ultimate Package and have had various problems with it since Day One. The dealership and Consumer Affairs have been failures at fixing the car. I decided to try to trade it in today -- staying completely away from Hyundai -- and they only wanted to give me $15,000 in trade in for a one year old car in mint condition (except factory defects) with only barely 11,000 miles on it. Very disheartening! I am going to try Car Max since someone posted they got $18,000 for theirs.
    Buyer Beware! My best advice is to look elsewhere for a car. Hyundai does not care about its customers.
  • Options
    RE: 858
    As we are only days away from 2008, your Hyundai is considered a two year old car.
    I am sure that when you purchased your Hyundai you were aware that they carry a low resale value.
    With regard to the failures to resolve your problems with your vehicle, it appears that most buyers have been able to fight through most of the problems, and have gotten them pretty much resolved.
    The 06 Azera was a new model and most cars in that "new" category go though that same manufacturer and dealership learning curve.
    If you don't want to take the financial hit, tough it out, fight with dealer, get your car fixed and try to enjoy it.
  • Options
    re. 859: tough it out, fight with dealer, get your car fixed and try to enjoy it.

Your suggestions above make me think, "why"? Why bother, why continue the battle with, (in this owners case) where the "partnership" between manufacturer & selling dealer to deliver a dependable product to the consumer has failed miserably.

While I feel for this owner, he fell victim to the rope-a-dope strategy of get-em in, sign-em up, get-em out the door.

I must be a genius, or lucky for leasing mine.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    As FLBob said, your car is just about 2 model years old.

Also, don't compare trade-in value to resale value. Trade-in any relatively new car and then compare that value to what the dealer is "asking" for the car on his used car lot. You'll see that the dealers look to make much more profit on the used car than the difference between invoice & MSRP when the car was new.
  • Options
    As a senior citizen (70's) I have had many cars. I gave up on American cars many years ago after my string of Buick Electra's turned to "clay". Thus began my experiences with Japanese cars and by and large it's been a good one. I have owned an Acura Legend and then a Sterling (3 year lease with constant electrical problems) then onto a Maxima, Diamante, and finally to a series of Acura TL's with my wife and I each driving one. The Acura TL's were really nice cars, but had their problems. I first bought my 06 Sonata LXV6 in Jan.06 and it has been a wonderful, dependable car with only a suspension situation, which was dealt with forthright by my dealership. In Aug. 06 when my 2nd Acura TL came off lease I bought my 06 Azera Limited (Premium Pkg.) and yes I have had the front suspension dealt with, steering wheel replaced(wood veneer peeling), temp. sensor replaced all under warranty with the most cooperative service dept. and Service Manager I have ever dealt with. I am sure you are aware that some cars, when they are manufactured , can have problems, with some more than others. I realize that some dealerships are better than others and so it is in every business. I never dreamed that I would be owning 2 Hyundai's but there it is! I just read a message over at the Cadillac CTS board( Motor Trend 2008 Car of the Year) and the writer had his brand new (260 miles) CTS blow a fuel pump. This from a car that he paid over $40,000 for. Lexus just recalled thousands of their luxo cars here and in Japan and GM recalled over 275,000 05 to 07 Cadillacs, Pontiacs, and Saturns. Some of us will have more problems than others but if you are fortunate to have an excellent dealer then the problems will be resolved. I think the "flying H" is not a step down or an object of derision and ridicule anymore. I am happy to be driving my 2 cars and look forward to the introduction of the Genesis. Just as an aside my wife has stated that our Azzy is the most comfortable car she has driven in years(she hated the Acura TL's). Go figure, but it makes for family peace. :)
    Don
  • Options
    RE: 860
    The same senereo would occur with almost all dealers with all models of cars.
    I'm certain that most Azera owners are happy with their cars and realize that Hyundai is a low priced vehicle that will not usually get you Rolls Royce treatment at the dealership level.
    As I previously stated, most owners report that their problems were eventually worked out.
    This is the price that one pays for the bargain.
  • Options
    andysamandysam Member Posts: 9
    To follow up, I went back and spoke to the dealer. Of course, they knew nothing about the TSB. Eventually, the service department digged it out. They emphasized the "Some" in the TSB. Needless to say they did not consider taking the car back. Or an additional discount. I have to go in for some touch up paint. Does it makes sense to ask the for the 6 month schedule maintenance (includes an oil change)? Carfax report states the car was on their lot for more than six months and the manual requires it. :confuse:
  • Options
    RE: 863
    Bob you are absolutely correct. These are not "red carpet" stores. For that you go to Lexus, Infiniti, Rolls Royce, etc. You do pay for that treatment one way or another. If you own a BMW, after the 4 year free maintenance period expires just see how much they extract from your wallet for any kind of service. You can shop at Saks 5th Ave. or at Costco. The ambiance is quite different. Hyundai dealerships are not set up for red carpet treatment so those of us who purchased our Azeras expecting that kind of treatment as the norm might not necessarily be happy. I, for one, recognize the value of my 2 Hyundai vehicles, and have established an excellent relationship with the service department with a very with it Service Manager and Service Advisor. It's no different with other brands, there are good and bad. We all should recognize the fact that the Azera is not Lexus LS but on the other hand it costs half the price. For what we have it is an excellent automobile as long as we realize that this is not a high performance sport sedan. Most of us are never going to drive the car to its outer limits because this is not a "high performance" vehicle. Perhaps the Genesis will be. I got just what I was looking for. A comfortable car with most of the bells and whistles ( I can live without bluetooth and have a Garmin 350 that I can use in each car) that has good manners, looks really good, and has not given me any major headaches. Can't say that for some other cars. Happy that I chose the flying H.
  • Options
    oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I find the opposite. Camissa Motors in Burlingame has treated me better than Rector Motors did when I had my Audi. The eternal wait even when you drop a car off at Rector was madning and I had Audi's for 20 years. To get any kind of repair approved often took a long time. The heated seat in My Azera came on by itself and Camissa replaced the switch even though they could not duplicate the problem. This happened in My Audi once and they would not replace the switch because it could not be made to do it while they had it.

Camissa also replaced the shocks even though they could not hear a clunk.They go out of their way to make me happy.It is a small place, maybe only 6 bays so maybe that helps.They also sell high end cars like Ferraris.
  • Options
    RE: #858

The service department at McCafferty in Langhorne Pa is excellent to deal with. I have no complaints about them. The reason I didn't take the car to service when it seemed to start falling apart is because I no longer had confidence in the vehicle. Yeah, they might fix what was wrong now (if of course the problem was detectible at that time), but I would still have this vehicle that shouldn't have had a fraction of these issues at this point in its life - especially when JD Power is giving them an award for initial quality. I knew when I purchased a Hyundai, that the resale would be in the toilet. I want to have this vehicle for the long term so that wasn't an issue to me. Now that I felt that I needed to dump it, the only way that I wouldn't be completely killed on trade, was to go back to the same dealership/manufacturer and state that they sold me a bad apple and they needed to make good on that. I still feel that most owners have a quality product - I was not so lucky on the 2006. I want to believe the 2007 is the one but already the engine severely hesitated when I pulled out of my driveway. There is one other concern I have that the 07 does and the 06 didn't do. When the motor is cold(not run for past 12 hrs or more) and it is started, there seems to be no oil pressure in the top half of the motor. You can clearly hear a loud rattling/clanging sound for 2-3 second as the oil reaches the pistons and/or cams. I have never heard a car start like this unless it has been sitting for a long time(weeks). That is the most critical time for an engine and I am calling the dealership this afternoon. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    RE:858
    Sounds like the timing chain tensioner problem that had a TSB.
    I thought that it only occurred in some 06 Azeras
  • Options
    RE: 868

The service manager that I just spoke to said by the way I described it that it is the hydraulic lifters that aren’t pressurized immediately at start up. He also said that he has a Santa Fe with the 3.3 and it does the same thing only longer. I still think it is too loud and the 2006 Azera I had didn’t make such noise.
  • Options
    Following up on my buying experience and strut issue: I bought 07 azera and got great price ( about $4000) off MRSP plus 0% interest. I spoke with service manager and he was very aware of TSB on suspension but stated he only had a few customers requesting new struts per TSB. I asked about strut part numbers and he stated:9/1/05-12/26/05-54611 3L040
    12/26/05-10/20/07-54611 3L041
    10/20/07-now -54611 3L641
    So far I am very please with car and especially value. Hopefully reliability will be good. Will watch for suspension problems. Happy New Year.
  • Options
    richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    12/14 had the front struts replaced per the the TSB. Replaced the 041 with the 040. The ride improved and steering tightened somewhat. Excited I called the service manager to tell him I wanted the rear done even though I had to pay. He said I had to pay for the parts in advance and he transferred me to the parts department. I told the parts person I had the front struts replaced and wanted the rear ones done also and to order the same part number. Thats where I screwed up. The next week I went to get them installed. Knew there was a problem when they pulled my car around in less than 20 minutes. Disappointed to learn there is no replacement for the rear struts and on top of that I ended up eating the restocking fee. :( If there was a replacement for the rear struts I think it would improve the ride quality significantly.
  • Options
    snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    He is the only person I know of who has fooled with the rear shocks with any success.

I hear $100 each for revalved stock shocks.
  • Options
    donrwdonrw Member Posts: 46
    Richard
    There is a replacement shock for the rear, shock # 55311-3LO40. On or about 12-26-05 Hyundai stopped installing #55311-3L040[rear shocks] and #54611-3L040[front shocks] on Azeras.They began installing different shocks front and rear ending with suffix 041.Below is a page from the Azera parts computer.
    I think that the rear 040 will offer better low velocity damping . You might get back to them and tell them that you want the restocking fee returned to you.

I believe that the front and rear shocks 041 are a revalved version of 040. The Hyundai ride engineers were opting for an even smoother ride and they probably accomplished that, however, shock revalving is a balancing act. There is an aspect of shock design called [velocity damping]. If the shock is subject to high velocity [compressing and extending quickly] , it offers high resistance to that movement. If the shock is subject to low velocity[compressing and extending slowly] , it offers low resistance to that movement.
    I believe they erred by designing too little resistance to movement into the low velocity damping design of the front and rear shocks 041. This can explain why the "clunking noise" occurs only at low speed over an irregular surface[ but not potholes]. In that instance, the shock is exhibiting poor low velocity damping and my impression of my Azera is that the shock is allowing the tires to rapidly bounce off the pavement. The "clunking noise"sound I hear is similar to the noise of shaking a 3 ball tennis can with one ball missing in the can. Poor low velocity damping can also explain the porpoising effect that some owners experience.
    The TSB is calling for the replacement shock to be 040 and not 041 because 040 has better low velocity damping. I think that all 4 shocks should be replaced on all Azeras within the TSB build date range. As I have mentioned many times on these forums, I want 4 shocks replaced , and I am still biding my time.
  • Options
    Richard
    For some reason, I am having trouble posting this rear shock image. I can't post a full size image. BELOW IS A CLICKABLE IMAGE

PAGE FROM AZERA PARTS COMPUTER
  • Options
    QUOTE....I asked about strut part numbers and he stated:9/1/05-12/26/05-54611 3L040
    12/26/05-10/20/07-54611 3L041
    10/20/07-now -54611 3L641
    grgoeb
    Thanks for that info. My question....what vehicle is the shock 54611 3L641 installed on. My guess...on 10-20-07, Hyundai began stamping 2008 on the Azeras coming off the assembly line. 3L641 is the revalved 2008 shock . How do I get 4 3L641's on my Azera and still keep my visa card in my wallet?
    Does any one have thoughts or info on shock 3L641?
  • Options
    richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info donrw. I'm going to speak with my service manager about the replacement shocks tomorrow.