Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• luckinsluckins Member Posts: 63
    Hmmm. My next step would be to check the fuse. I don't know which one, though. I looked for it when my light stopped working. Other than that, I don't know except it could be the wiring to the light on in the light.
  • srs5694srs5694 Member Posts: 3
    The owner's manual includes a list of fuses. I haven't checked to see if the dome light is clearly marked, but it's worth checking your manual.
  • topolinotopolino Member Posts: 1
    aveo 2005 , 50000 miles , cold engine starting ... 2000 rpm and after 900 rpm ,,, first problem... second problem ... after driving . turn off and impossible to start again , it stop inmediately.. third problem .. after start in parking it is impossible to move the shift to drive , it is blocked , i think it is the computer ... please HELP
  • kootchkootch Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriends 06 Aveo has been having a lighting issue. Her dash board lights go on and off, though now they mostly stay off, and when the dash lights go off the right taillight goes off. The taillight goes back on when the dash lights turn back on. The radio and all the other lights work fine. I've looked at the fuses and they appear to be fine, but that's about the extent of my car knowledge. Any thoughts?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It is likely a wiring ground of some type. Can't say where to start looking.
  • bethere99bethere99 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? I gave my daughter a 2007 Aveo and she believes the alternator went out on it at 40K miles, 4K miles past the warrantee. She told me the car lost lights and she had to charge the battery 3 times to get it home. The new alternator is $550.00 plus labor...total estimate is around $850.00 (with diagnostic test). Please let me know what you found out...Thanks Darin
    Your engine should have a minimum of a 5-year/60,000 mile engine warranty if I recall. I believe it was changed to 10-years in the later 2007. The engine warranty covers alternators if I am not mistaken. The power train warranty that GM has is actually better than most as far as the parts covered.
    I posted incorrectly now while looking at it. The Aveo used to have a 5-year or 60,000 mile powertrain warranty that was changed to 5-years, 100,000 miles, which ever comes first.
  • rodsemrodsem Member Posts: 2
    Some guy decides to stop on the back of my Aveo 2004 hatchback, I'm not actually complaining, now my Aveo is the only car with butt; the problem is that now that the trunk door is damage, the "open door" alert is always on. In the other four doors, I have found the sensor button, it's easy to find, but I can't find the sensor or don't know how is that the system detects that the trunk door is open so I can deactivate it.

Any ideas? This is giving me battery problems and a headache! :sick:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    must be in the trunk lock then if there's no sensor along the rim of the trunk where the seal is.
  • rodsemrodsem Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, you give me a clue! I found it and, by now, solve the problem. The sensor contact is in the tip of the lock. I close the lock manually and then close the door with some wire in the inside to avoid it to be open from the outside. Hope this can help to others.

Best Regards and thanks for the help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Great---I was worried that messing with the lock might trip your alarm but apparently not.
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    I just took my 2005 Aveo 5 SVM to a Chevy Dealership Service Department in Virginia because of an unknown engine noise at 41,xxx miles. An independent mechanic diagnosed an alternator problem so I'm getting a second opinion. Anyway I took it in and started asking about my powertrain warranty and they said I have none because it did not start until 2007 model year. I had to show them the 2005 Aveo literature stating the 5yr 60,000 powertrain warranty. Even if it is not covered under the powertrain warranty, doesn't this seem suspicious that they told me that I have no powertrain warranty? I feel disappointed by this experience so far.
    Sounds like they aren't very knowledgible. Any warranty work that they would do would be reimbursed anyway.
    You are right, I guess I should not expect so much from a Chevy Dealership Service Department. I am still waiting to hear what they tell me is making the noise. I will post an update soon.
    Update.
    Dealership confirmed failed alternator and replaced with $100 deductible and "Goodwill" warranty due to low miles. I am still wondering if this repair should have been covered under warranty? The only issue yet to be addressed by any dealership is the front suspension noise this car has made since new. "Unable to duplicate" the noise is always listed on the receipt, yet the first uneven surface I drove over in the dealership's lot today, when picking up the car, duplicated the noise.
    I hope you meant this Chevy service department. They are not all the same just like the complaints Toyota is known for in their service department.
  • nelsagrnelsagr Member Posts: 1
    Can't believe no one had the sence to check the alternator. These car are manufacuted with a defective alternator.
  • ndemirandandemiranda Member Posts: 1
    I've checked the fuse and replaced the bulb but still no dome light .Can you help me with this problem.
  • phantom48843phantom48843 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem - lightbulb and fuse are both good and yet the light wont turn on. Did you ever figure it out? I would appreciate your time in responding. Happy holidays.
    I forgot what I did to fix this problem, but I think all I did was take the bulb out and put it back in. I haven't had a problem since.
  • allaboutmarksallaboutmarks Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with a friends Aveo, the fuse is good but no power at the dome light. What was the solution for yours? I was thinking there may be more than one fuse or a relay but I cann't find any. Thanks.
    Hi. I don't remember what I did to fix this, but it wasn't anything major. I think I just took the old bulb out and put it back in and it started working soon after. I don't know anything else after that. I still haven't had the problem since then.
  • allaboutmarksallaboutmarks Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Mine has no power at the dome light so I figure there must be something between the fuse and light that failed. Was looking for a wiring diagram but haven't been able to find one on line. Anybody know where to find one?
  • ceh426ceh426 Member Posts: 1
    In the last few months I have been starting to have problems with my 2005 Aveo Hatchback. Recently my dashboard lights have gone off. It started with them going off and on every now and then, and now they are just off all together. I still have the radio and my overhead light but none of the other lights have been working for months. Anyone have an idea? Ive heard it could be the alternator possibly but have had no other mechanical issues with it.

The other thing that I have just recently had problems with is the thermostat breaking. My husband stomped on the gas one day and right afterwards we had smoke coming out of the back and the front of the car and it overheated. Trying to find the part for it still, and I hear only the dealer can get it but should be a fairly easy fix.

My gas door is also broken, as well as the gas door opener.

The car was great when I first purchased it a few years ago, but I feel like its starting to become very unreliable. Who knows what kind of problems Im going to run into by the time Im done paying it off that is going to cost and arm and a leg to fix.

The great things about it; its small and can fit anywhere, great gas mileage and it has a surprising amount of room on the inside.
  • flaaveo22flaaveo22 Member Posts: 11
    Hi. Well you have a 5 year old car. These are little trim items, except the thermostat. How many miles on it? Did you by it used and get any warranty at all? Or new? Tell your husband to lighten up on the foot, the Aveo isnt a Vette!

The lights are NOT your alternator. Don't let someone sell you that expensive job! Its a LOOSE $5 light bulb. You said the lights went on and off, then they just went out. That is a loose bulb, probably not even burned out. If it was the alternator, much more wouldn't work. It wouldn't even start probably. It is a very cheap fix, if you go to nearly any local good mechanic, not the dealer, to either put in a new bulb, IF it did burn out, or just have him tighten the bulb that is in there, and the lights will come right back on. OR it is a fuse, also a VERY cheap fix, you can do yourself. Find the right fuse and replace it. Look in your owners manual, or even in the fuse box, it might say, 'dash lights', or 'lights', or ask a Chevy parts dept. person which fuse runs the dash lights, and see if it is burned out. But it sounds like just a loose lightbulb. I think it is just 1 bulb, and you can also ask the parts dept. at a Chevy dealer, how many bulbs light up the dash, I am sure it is only 1. The contacts holding the bulb might need to be squeezed together a bit to make it tighter if it is the bulb is loose from just age. My dome light is now loose, and I am constantly having to open it up to just reposition it, and it goes out nearly every day! But no contacts to adjust, so I have to live with it.

The gas door opener is a simple plastic cord running under the carpet to the gas door, it just came off the latch someplace along the way, it has to be reconnected. Not a big job either, it is not expensive, but the time for a mechanic might be, finding the cord and tracing where it came off...but it either came off at the pull lever, or at the door. IF it didn't break along the length of the cord.

Frankly to hold the gas door closed, I had another car with the same problem, and it had a simple release like our Aevos, not electrically operated. I got 2 very thin magnets, cut it into two small squares, not to small, but small, and super glued one to the gas door and one to the car, remove the tiny rubber bumper I think that is on the car, so that with the magnet it will still close flat, and put 1 piece there and 1 on the door, and it is fixed! It held it shut and will opened easily. No one sees it and it cost next to nothing. I used one of those flat magnets you get from just about every store, doctor, or company selling any service, even pizza delivery!

OR you can use one of the stronger Velcros and do it that way, it is all hidden from view. Then you dont have to get the release fixed at all, IF it is expensive to reattach it.

As for the thermostat, I am ignorant. But they are a very easy and fairly cheap fix, if it is easy to access in the engine. I would think most auto parts stores have what you need in stock, or can order one. The car is basically a remade Daewoo, that has been around over a decade. Daewoo may be gone, but parts are not, this car is made all over the world under a dozen names, but it WAS a Daewoo....if you didnt know. I still see a few perfect ones on the road, and a lot of run down ones. So parts are available, hopefully not just from Chevy. but if so, you need it and it is 5 years old.
    Replace the antifreeze when you have it fixed to protect your water pump....the thermostat is usually right on top of the pump, or next to it, and that IS a very expensive fix! An antifreeze flush, done professionally, is a 'cheap' preventive measure. Then you are safe for another 5 years or more!!! Let us know if any of this works out, I would like to know for sure. My 2006 has had no mechanical problems either, just trim pieces, like you, but not the ones you have , but it is a cheap car, it isnt a Vette. It holds up pretty well, new oil and a new filer,some gas and its on the road!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me at [email protected] for more information with the concerns on your vehicle? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • chevylover7chevylover7 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what could be wrong with my aveo, dome light wont come on ,checked fuses and light bulb all is ok took light out and put back in, still wont work, any help will be appreciated..
    It is the bulb - trust me. Same thing happened to me. I checked the bulb. I checked the fuses. Unlike normal bulbs this type of bulb wont burn out the filament as you could then see it. Get a new one from the dealer. Good luck. The bulb cost around ten dollars as I remember.
    Hello Chevylover7,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • bnthenriebnthenrie Member Posts: 2
    How does one remove the plastic lamp cover to replace the light bulb?
  • bnthenriebnthenrie Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me how to remove the dome lamp cover to replace the light bulb?
    I can't remember and may have to go back and check, but I think it just pops off. There's little slots on the side where you can stick a flat-head screwdriver, I think.
  • donsaveo2009donsaveo2009 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an '09 Aveo...I don't know the particulars on your vehicle, but from reading some of the posts. I'm thinking that the cause may be vibration related and affecting either the mode selector switch or the bulb socket...so far, I've had no problems in that area...and except for replacing some broken interior trim items and rebalancing the tires, I've been very happy with the car... :)
  • kingofchaos1kingofchaos1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I just had a similar issue with my 2005 aveo. On the way home, the check engine light and hold light were blinking. I slowed down at a stop light, it went away and never came back.

I am thinking this is an electrical problem with the sensors, because the car was driving perfectly during and after the issue went away. I was not stuck in any particular gear and the acceleration/power out put was nominal.
  • michellecopmichellecop Member Posts: 1
    Please I have the same problem. What should I do?? :(
    Hiya. Pop the dome cover off using a flat screwdriver. Take out the bulb and then put it back in. See if this works. If not then get a replacement from the dealer. It runs only 10 dollars or so. It is your best bet for an easy fix. Good luck.
    michellecop,

If you have any questions, concerns or comments please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • krystalb1krystalb1 Member Posts: 1
    I will NEVER buy an Aveo again. A few months ago, my horn stopped working, so naturally I checked the fuses. Sure enough, the fuse blew. I buy a 5 pack of fuses, as I am putting them in, they are blowing out instantaneously. On the 4th fuse, it doesn't blow out right away, so I turn the car on and all of the sudden, the entire horn harness from the fuse box all the way to the front of my car where the actual horn is located, goes up in smoke. It literally melted the fuse inside the fuse box. Fortunately, nothing else was effected by it. Take it to the mechanic, he says I can either put in a "button" to bypass the horn or I can have the problem fixed the correct way which could end up being expensive due to labor. As I am thinking this over, my interior ash lights stop working as well as the night time lights all on the passenger side. Weirdest thing ever, my driver side lights work, but not the passenger side. Both headlights work, but the turning signal light and the brake light on the passenger side are completely out. It figures too because all this occured a month after paying the car off, it's like a rule or something when you pay the car off, all the problems come out. Anyone have any insight or advice on my issues with this car? I really liked this car until all of these electrical problems developed.
    krystalb1,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you taking the vehicle into a GM dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • jimh52jimh52 Member Posts: 2
    The car has about 42,000 miles on it. We have had the plugs replaced, the throddle arm replaced. It has been in the shop mutilple times. It runs very rough at time. This has been going on since about 12,000 miles. I have been buying Chevy since 1971, and this is my first pile of junk. Anyone else seeing the same symptoms? Any solutions out there, before I tell the dealer where to stick the car?
  • advercyadvercy Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had this exact problem. As in, yesterday. It got all jerky whenever it would shift gears, the hold light would flash, and the check engine light would come on, then when it shifted it would be fine. Rinse and repeat when it shifted up again. It was an awesome drive home (30 minute drive). My 2009 aveo has 59,799 miles on it.
    I won't know until monday if my warranty covers it, and honestly i'm going to be seriously irate if it doesn't. I've owned this car for less than a year (it had 43,000 when i bought it), and if i already have to replace major components of the transmission that's a bit of a problem.
    I'm really considering selling it since the used car market is so high right now. Let someone else deal with Chevy and their issues... I miss my Honda :|
  • suzy89rsuzy89r Member Posts: 2
    ive been having the same issues with my 2009 Aveo5. i bought this car for the gas mileage... if i would have known that it was going to be significantly worse within a year, than a 95 jeep cherokee sport.. i woulda kept my jeep. my hold light comes on, flashes (but not actually preforming its function) the car gets really jerky and and its like it kicks back when its trying to up shift and downshift. i have taken my car into the dealership several times. none of the issues are covered in my warranty. My car is now 2 years old. i have had these and several issues with it for a year now. just hit 60k miles. The dealership changed out all 3 02sensors claiming that was the issue. (was not) Mass air intake sensor (not it) helped with my airflow issue massively though. spark plugs, wires and a total once over. still the issue is persisting. LEMON LAW! recall this car. I love my jellybean of a car but i will not buy another Chevy Aveo. ill stick to chevy trucks... If anyone finds out anything, let me know....
  • freedom007freedom007 Member Posts: 2
    i just replace my third alternator today, a total of 4. the first one was just a month after purchasing the new car. it is a 2007 Aveo and it has 84K now. only one was cover under the warranty, the second replacement was in april of 2010. I'm getting good on replacing it. in april the car was dying, i replaced the battery first but it wasn't the problem - alternator fix it. both the battery and brake lights stayed on. this time, it goes in and out, most of the time it will stay on longer while putting a load on. sometime, while im driving, ill turn off the lights and ac, both indicators will go out. i do know that is a poor place to have an alternator there.
  • freedom007freedom007 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else replace 3 alternator in their 2007 Aveo?
  • munkyfumunkyfu Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just bought a used 2009 Aveo LT sedan from the Kia Dealership about a month ago and are already experiencing problems! The vehicle had about 20K miles on it when we bought it and we've put about 3K on it thus far. 2 weeks after we bought it, my wife went to start it up after work and I noticed it idling funny; I could feel the engine "bucking" and we could see the tachometer needle surging. We let it warm up for a little bit, but as soon as she put it in drive, the engine bogged down to approximately 200rpms, went back up to normal and then back down again, feeling like it was gonna stall. When she tried to give it any gas, the car would barely move.
    We took it to the dealership and they couldn't "replicate" the issue, but they were awesome and fixed the alignment and put on 4 new tires, which was kinda weird I thought, but hey, can't argue with new tires for free! I had also told them the suspension makes "creaking" noises when going over speed bumps or dips...at a slow speed of course...this way we can hear the noise. They couldn't replicate that issue either.
    NOW, the car doesn't start when turning the key all the way to the "start" position right away....we have to hold it there for a few seconds, then it starts.
    One major thing is, my wife's about 7 months pregnant and we needed something we could take the baby home in. I worry about this car breaking down if she really needs to go somewhere or get home!
  • jimh52jimh52 Member Posts: 2
    The car started running rough again, so we took it directly to the dealer. They put it on the machine and had to replace some plugs and, most importantly, they replaced two coils for the cylinders. There is an individual coil for each of the 4 cylinders. It is now running fine, but for how long? Sorry that I ever bought this car. I put nytrogin in my new tires, though, and my mileage went from 29 MPG to 38 MPG. That is the only good thing I have found about the car. Chevy should be ashamed.
  • omar12omar12 Member Posts: 2
    I have an aveo 2008 / shiest number is iam experiencing fule is exceeding the rgular and while iam drivin the car almost stops and it turnds off. Service light is on always when it was blinkin at fiest
  • omar12omar12 Member Posts: 2
    I have an aveo 2008 / shiest number KLITD51738B. 45614 is iam experiencing fule is exceeding the rgular and while iam drivin the car almost stops and it turnds off. Service light is on always when it was blinkin at fiest