Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Dude, if you're making a decision based on the Navi system, then you really wouldn't appreciate a G anyway. Above all things, the G is designed to perform. I suggest you an Acura or Lexus. ;)
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    Drove a new TL-S, 2006 TL, and new G35x these past two days - all automatics. Spent about 20 mins with the G35x (with dealer in tow) and about 30 min each with the TLs (on my own, with 5-year old daughter in tow.) Mostly highway and local road driving - no real twisties. My initial impressions:

G35x: Loads of power. Gas pedal seemed a little soft so it was a bit tougher to finesse the right amount of gas in turns, etc. (but assume would get used to it if owned.) Manually shifting gears with the tripronic helped. By the way, great tipronic - very similar to BMW with 3 modes: regular auto, sport auto, manual - and same sporty feel. Ride was the most sporty of the 3, which was expected with AWD/RD platform. Lots of tech, but did not seem as intuitive as Acura. Ok back seat room (a factor for me with kids), but definitely appeared tighter to me than the TLs (I'm 6') - less toe room and an overall more enclosed feel. 6 CD changer in trunk with Navigation package is a drag - blocks part of trunk and does not seem necessary with hard drive. Currently 2nd on my list of the 3.

2006 TL: More inviting cabin/tech design and tech seemed more intuitive and integrated. Not as sporty a ride as G35x, but much sportier than I expected. Very adequate power, but not as much as other 2. Better backseat room - I noticed the difference right away and my daughter had no trouble even with her bulky booster seat. Better trunk room (and no 6 CD player blocking). Overall most enjoyable experience - currently 1st on my list of these 3.

2007 TL-S: Similar to TL with more power, but seemed a bit much for FWD - it was fairly easy to squeak the front tires on take-off into a turn. However, gas pedal not as springy as G35x so seemed easier to control. I did not sense an appreciable difference in sportiness as compared to the Base TL, although there was some. I usually enjoy sport packages, etc., but was not a big fan of the added design elements (e.g., pedals, TL-S logo everywhere on interior, wheel design, etc.). At this point, this one is 3rd on my list - and will likley rule out since don't see enough benefit for cost, etc.

By the way, my daughter (and I) wanted to check out the RDX as well, so we drove that and I must say it did impress me. Seems I would not give up any sports sedan handling if I ended up with that over a TL (in fact, might even have a slight edge), and would gain some space. Still a little leary of it though due to mixed MPG postings in the RDX forum.
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    Did you notice how Infiniti changed the steering wheel controls to look like the TL's?

Anyway, considering the TL costs much less than the G, and you seem to like the car better, it appears you've made up your mind. The base TL (I have an 06 auto) is a blast to drive, gets great gas mileage, has low insurance costs, is one of the safest vehicles on the planet, and is an overal solid car (after 15600 miles mine is still as tight as a sorority freshman's butt). Add high performance, standard Bluetooth, XM, and a great sound system and you see why Acura sells a bunch of 'em. Join the club.
  • rsetlurrsetlur Member Posts: 10
    It would seem picky not buying the car based just on the navi being shackled, but that is my problem with it.
    The new G is such a good car that Infiniti would not even have to sell it, I would have bought it without hesitation.

I test drove both the TLbase and the G and G drives and handles better. It is torquey at the low which is still a problem with the TL. They have not tuned the torque curve so it quick from the red light.

You cannot do many things with the navi while in motion, example change destinations on the fly, see more than 4 or so POI, etc. It is too crippled. All they had to do was trust the driver. The only other problem I saw on the G was there is too much dependence on the navi screen, since there is no alternate way to display AC, radio info etc.

Other than that, the G is my perfect car. Please, Infiniti, don't lose customers over something that is so easy to fix and gain happier owners.
  • ephemere1ephemere1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for pointing out this problem with the nav system. That's a big issue for me, as well. Often, I'm driving with my wife, and one of us mans the nav while the other drives. Under those circumstances, you obviously don't want a crippled nav.

Some poster claimed that the nav is fully functional while driving. This is false, according to the users manual. I downloaded the 232-page users manual for the nav system. There is a section called "Functions Disabled While Driving". Unfortunately, it doesn't list all of them -- it only shows some examples and says that disabled functions will be grayed out on the screen.

Perhaps the most frustrating example is that you have to pull over and park if you want to see the telephone number of a store, restaurant, or other point of interest. This is just plain idiotic and really decreases the functionality of the system.

-1 for Infiniti
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    Did you notice how Infiniti changed the steering wheel controls to look like the TL's?

Yes - in fact I thought all the interior changes to the G were great. Glad to hear you are enjoying your TL. I actually got to drive a 2007 base late yesterday, and also liked all the changes - particularly noticed how much brighter the nav looks. The 07 tech improvements apparently closed the gap between the TL and RDX. I'm still shopping (I enjoy the process so like to stretch it out :)), but its looking more like an Acura may be in my future - could be the TL or RDX.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "Dude, if you're making a decision based on the Navi system, then you really wouldn't appreciate a G anyway"

Let me just echo again what I said...
    It's not a deciding factor for me.... but it is a concern.

My post was a question to King who has actually tested out the 07... I just wanted to know the limitations.
    I appreciate ephemere1's update with details and now wonder if there's any soft hack to get around these limitations.

At 2am, it was very convenient in the MDX to hit the button on the wheel and say "Find Nearest Hotel" and it listed them out.
    I was then able to, one by one, call each with my wireless bluetooth connection to see who has vacancy and to find out how much $.
    All while driving at 75 on the highway.

It was done very safely, caused no distractions, and the fact that all 7,000,000 points of interest have phone numbers which can be called while driving is priceless.

Again, not THE deciding factor but definitely something to consider.
  • ephemere1ephemere1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm continuing to look into this. I read a thread on an Acura TL forum where someone was complaining about the same thing on the old G35, and someone else said "easily fixed" but did not elaborate. I don't know what the fix was, and if there is a fix for the new G35. I'll do some research on g35driver.com.

By the way, the TL people were complaining that their system is similarly crippled while driving because the touch screen doesn't work 50% of the time. I guess that explains why I couldn't get the touch screen to work during my test drive of the TL-S.
    I'm not sure... that's odd.

I know the 06 TL navi was not up to the same level of tech features in the 06 MDX, and that the 07 TL was brought up to speed... now including Zagat Surveys and more details in the maps.

My 06 MDX, I have yet to find or come across any limitation in the Navigation when in drive, touch screen and all.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    So have we established if the G has this limitation? I hope it doesn't, but in any case the new navigation sounds light years better than the version on the 2005-06 models.
  • rsetlurrsetlur Member Posts: 10
    ephemere1, do you have the url to download the navi manual and user manual for the 2007 G35? thx
  • saissonsaisson Member Posts: 25
    It's an awesome car! Get over it... :P
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    The G35 is rear wheel drive, while the Acura is front wheel drive. That makes the G35 with a six speed the driver's car. I autocross my 2005 and it's a blast. It does very well against the other cars in its class, like the BMW 330i. Incidentally, I have 23K miles on my car and I have had no issues with brakes.
    I also own a 2006 BMW M Roadster, which is much faster, but that doesn't make my G35 any less fun to drive. I'm toying with trading my G35 for a 2007 (6 speed only folks). These are great cars!!!!!!!!!
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    RWD is definitely better than FWD for sporty driving, but a true sportscar will have a true manual transmission.

I wholeheartedly agree that a G35 with a manual transmission is sportier than a TL with a manual transmission. I do not agree that an automatic G35 is sportier than a manual TL. In fact, in that curcumstance, I think the manual TL would be sportier b/c of the increased driver involvement.

Anyone who says the Acura TL's FWD hurts its sporting characteristics will get no argument from me, but all those G35ers with automatics make me laugh when they decry the FWD. They are just picking on one item that makes a vehicle less "sporty" and ignoring another.

I assume you automatic drivers did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that for your intended use, an automatic is preferable. Others may have decided that they want a FWD car b/c of snow or rain or whatever. Both are sporty cars.
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    Good post. I would add that there is nothing that compares to driving a RWD with manual transmission. Given that specification, the G35 and BMW are the only choices.
    I could also ask why anyone would compare a RWD G35 Automatic to a FWD TL Manual. Why compare an Auto to a Stick at all?

The fact is that you can only get the 07 TL with a stick if ordering the Type-S Model.
    If anything, compare the 07 G35 Auto to the 07 TL Auto to make a sensible comparison.
    I have not yet driven the 07 TL but I could make my own guess as to which car gets the nod.

Same could be said for the same two cars with sticks. ;)
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I can't argue with that. I am sure that those of us opting for the TL over the G35 (like myself) found something else that weighed in the TL's favor, other than mere "sportiness," whether it be $$$, amenities, whatever.

Let's face it, even you G35ers must have chosen the vehicle, in part, b/c of its balance of sport and luxury. There are harder-driving sportier vehicles you could buy with that money.

I wouldn't trade my TL for a G (well, maybe I'd trade my '04 TL for an '07 G35), but I do wish it were RWD. I'm in Fla and have no need for FWD.
    In the sports sedan market, the TL has been run over with a freight train.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Really, you mean the 6000-7000 people who buy a TL each month all get clobbered at RR crossings? Why isn't this on the news? Is there a TSB for this horrible freight train-seeking sports sedan?

Sorry, TLs too fast. Freight train couldn't catch it... :blush:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Road Kill :sick:
  • ggs2ggs2 Member Posts: 18
    i am currently considering buying an '07 acura tl or an '07 infiniti g35. my concern is that while there is an acura dealer in the city where i live, the closest infiniti dealer is approximately 2.5 hours away. i do have a nissan dealership nearby but have been told by the service manager there that they will not do any warranty- covered work on infiniti's. while i like both vehicles, i tend to favor the infiniti ever so slightly.would you let this deter you from buying the g35? thanks
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO you should buy what you really want. Everything else is secondary.
  • el_chupacabrael_chupacabra Member Posts: 17
    G35 IS BY FAR BETTER
    Darn! I found the TL to be the better choice for me after researching/reviewing and driving the G and TL. Now this:

"G35 IS BY FAR BETTER"

Cognitive dissonance is setting in, what to do, what to do!?

But cereally, read about each, sit in each, drive each (a lot) and then decide which is "...FAR BETTER" for you. Your (the person laying out the $$$, that is) opinion is the only one that matters.

TL IS FAR BETTER! :D

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I think you have to refine the word "compete." And actually, only the eye of the beholder can define the word. To me, the TL, G and 3 all "compete." The winner of the competition is now in my garage, the TL. But there is not a "loser" auto among these three!

• jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    I TOTALLY DISSAGREE! I looked at both and bought a 07 TL S auto. The interior and seats in the Infiniti SUCK. Good day :)
    The 2007 TL Type S is a BLAST. My silver auto thrills me ALL the time. I chose it because I like it the best! The other cars are also great cars. But I chose the TL S because I like everything about it. The others had a few things I didn't like. Have a great day. Jeff :)
    "i am currently considering buying an '07 acura tl or an '07 infiniti g35. my concern is that while there is an acura dealer in the city where i live, the closest infiniti dealer is approximately 2.5 hours away. i do have a nissan dealership nearby but have been told by the service manager there that they will not do any warranty- covered work on infiniti's. while i like both vehicles, i tend to favor the infiniti ever so slightly.would you let this deter you from buying the g35? thanks"

GGS2, stepping away from those who are passionate about their own opinions, I'd like to weigh in on this as well.

I have the exact same problem.

Back in May, I bought an 06 MDX Touring from an Acura dealer within 15 minutes of my house.
    They are very friendly people and I continue to speak to them while in for oil changes and such.
    The dealership is very convenient, since I drive past it every day on my way to work.
    They know I'm looking for a second car and I've looked at the TL and even taken an 06 out for 2 different days.

I'm also looking at the 07 G35x.
    The closest Infiniti dealer is 40 miles away, in a different state. It's also in the opposite direction from anywhere I ever drive. I may be able to get Oil Changes from a local Nissan dealer but any warranty work will be a big inconvenience.

I've looked at the 07 TL and I very much like the look.
    I personally find the exterior to be slightly more eye catching than the 07 G....
    But I don't think I want FWD again.
    And if I did go with the TL, I know I'd want the Type-S. That brings the price up.... up to the point of a very well loaded G35x.

That being said, I think for the price, the G offers more bang for the buck, I love the keyless ignition/entry and Musicbox features, and the new interior on the 07 is very nice. The 300+ HP on a RWD biased AWD platform, the car handles amazingly well and is a ton of fun to drive.

I've only had the very best of luck with Honda/Acura in the past.
    I know little about Infiniti, but my friend has had less than perfect luck with his Nissan Altima and XTerra.
    But.. everyone has a story too. :confuse:

It's a tough comparison, but I'm leaning toward the G, even with the nice incentives the Acura guys keep tempting me with.
    scott,

If you are having such a hard time deciding between a AWD G35x and a FWD Type-S now and if you opt for the G in the spring, are you scared about having buyer's remorse when the 4GTL comes out w/ AWD and 300+hp?

IMHO Acura really shook this segment up back in 04 with the introduction of the 3GTL. With the current competition and their respective offerings, you can pretty much bank that the 4GTL will shake up this segment again.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    What the heck is 4GTL, does this translate to be 2009 TL?
    Yes.

4GTL= Fourth Generation TL.
    To get 300+ ponies in a TL, Acura will have to artificially aspirate that 3.2 or upgrade the displacement. BMW had to blow their 3.0 and I surmise Acura would have to do the same.

But no worries, as soon as that happens, Infiniti will drop the 4.5 in the G. Rumors are abound…

Infiniti appeals to performance minded folks.
    True- Infiniti does appeal to performance minded folks. Everything else in regards to the G did not appeal to me.

I'm glad to see Acura finally looking to gain some of the market share of the "performance minded folks".

People bashing the Acura for its FWD platform will slowly come to an end. :sick:
    THANKYOU! I am a perfectionist! The Acura TL-S Is fantastic! Not just looking at the RWD of other cars that are gross or spongy. The interior of the Acura TL-S BLOWS away everything. The DVD Audio is #1 PERIOD. The exterior looks are beautiful. Its FAST and handles great! Plus it goes in the snow! And mpg isn't BAD like AWD cars. Get what you want. But I have a high I.Q. And I believe thats why I drive a 2007 TL Type S! :)
    Apparently you did not get the memo-The TL-S displacement is 3.5.
    Your TLS goes in the snow, they must have really improved on this car.I had the previous generation TLS and it could not make it up a 30 degree incline in the snow-even in the manual mode.
    scott,

If you are having such a hard time deciding between a AWD G35x and a FWD Type-S now and if you opt for the G in the spring, are you scared about having buyer's remorse when the 4GTL comes out w/ AWD and 300+hp?

That's a very good, and fair question.

I need a car now, this year... can't wait until 09.
    In fact, I've been putting it off since this past April, so I can't wait much longer.

If the Type-S was available today in AWD and if the price was not much above where it is now, it would be a no-brainer.
    I love the current styling inside and out.

The fact is, the next TL, with AWD, will be something to see.
    I'm one of those people who don't like to buy a first year run of a new gen when so much about the car is changing, so the 09 TL wouldn't much be an option for me anyway.
    If I get an 07 G now, and like the 2010 TL that much, I'll have a trade-in option.

As for snow... yes, the TL will go in the snow.
    So will a RWD 335i.
    It's a matter of driver skill and a good set of snows.
    And the TL Type-S will need snows.

I drive a lot of miles every day and deal with nasty New England snow storms every year.
    I have a Mt Everest driveway, drive some crazy back roads and the TL would be a handful in bad snow storms.
    If someone doesn't agree with that, they're just kidding themselves.

Yes, it will go in the snow, but it won't do it well.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    Hmm... I think you are taking an attempted humerous posting seriously.
    Apparently you are correct. I don't keep abreast to Acura, but I was correct that the displacement had to be increased or the 3.2 had to be blown to achieve those numbers. The next problem becomes that the AWD system just adds weight to any car and robs power to transfer the power to all wheels. For true performance, a RWD set up is best. The net gain for the Acura engine is really negated by the AWD system.
    OK. I live 45 minutes north of chicago, il. We get snow, but I only drive 2 miles to work 15 days a month. So the 07 TL-S does me fine. I agree with waiting until 2010 to purchase 4GTL AWD. I looked at a 07 335i coupe. But I would want it as loaded as my TL-S. And that would cost $50,000. Too much for me. Plus reliability and twin turbo's scares me. I liked the 07 G35, but the drivers seat was not comfortable to me. My TL seat blows it away. So does the entire interior IMHO. I liked the inside of the M35, M45, but too expensive. :)
    I have no clue as to what you are saying.I simply stated what I had experienced with my 03 TLS and you are saying that I am taking it over board.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    Sorry. I was refering to jdelabre's original post which you responded to in an honest and straight-forward way. But the original post was so juvinile and over-the-top that I can only assume it was meant as a humerous satire. That original post said,

"THANKYOU! (sic.) I am a perfectionist! The Acura TL-S Is (sic.) fantastic! Not just looking at the RWD of other cars that are gross or spongy. The interior of the Acura TL-S BLOWS away everything. The DVD Audio is #1 PERIOD. The exterior looks are beautiful. Its (sic.) FAST and handles great! Plus it goes in the snow! And mpg isn't BAD like AWD cars. Get what you want. But I have a high I.Q. And (sic.) I believe thats (sic.) why I drive a 2007 TL Type S!"

Hmm... "But I have a high I.Q. And I believe thats why I drive a 2007 TL Type S!" Really? The first part of this convoluted sentence could have fooled me (though again, I really do think is was an hilarious parody), though I will take his word on the latter.
  • py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    kring5,
    I got to ask, which county do you live in? It sounds like a dream county. They let you test drive the car for 45mins and they provide lifetime oil change? I want to live there...pls tell me, I need to know there is utopia. ;)
  • py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    I definitely appreciate G's performance, TL is not even on my list. It's 335i or G35S 6MT, but since BMW decided to price people out, G35 it is. However, limiting my use of any features does piss me off. I can't fully explain why. ;)

But I should be the one responsible for any consequences if I am stupid enough to play with the Nav when I can't handle it. Just like cell phone use, eating burger, or anything I don't do while I am driving. It's my choice. :)

I might have to go without the Nav then, cause it will piss me off everytime I use it. But, I want one....LOL
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Devan Infiniti in Fairfield Connecticut. They call it the Devan advantage. They even let me take the car out on the 23rd of October, it was supposed to be under wraps until it's launch day on the 26th. So far the experience with them has been great, My car comes in within the next 4 weeks, so we'll see how the the rest of it works out. I'll add that I've never purchased from them before either.
    I wouldn't scrap the use of the Navigation package for not being able to touchscreen a destination, you'll also loose these other features:

Navigation Package:
    * - Infiniti Navigation System (hard disk drive-based) with touchscreen, Lane Guidance and 3-D building graphics
    * - XM NavTraffic® [?] providing Real-Time Traffic[1] information
    * - XM® satellite radio[1]
    * - 9.5-gigabyte Music Box [?] hard drive and compact flash slot for playing MP3 files
    * - Infiniti Voice Recognition for climate control, audio, information and navigation systems

I'll add that within probably 3 months we'll see a simple hack that removes these restrictions, they have done it for the other models i.e. M series.
    I too would choose the 335i over the G35S if "performance" was my main motivaton in purchasing a vehicle.

The G is a better value than the 335i- that's about it IMHO.
    Same here, 335i when money isn't a concern.

Base models it's a $6400 price difference,that's high, but still some could go for it, me right there it's already too much; but now here's the part where it gets nutty:

G35's maxed out options total: $6,550
    335i's equal options total out: $13,995

That's an additional $ 7445 on top of the already $6400 base difference,

Grand total price difference on a loaded model: $13,845.00 WOW... against the G35, that's over 33% premium and the G35 has 60K warranty vs BMW 50K.

I left out the fact that you get 4 oil changes free of charge from BWM, big whoop, $180.00.

I just don't see it. and the 335i has less technology; i.e. adaptive headlights, All wheel drive! (if you want it), music box hard drive, CF slot, rear view monitor, plus the added legroom front & back, and a little bigger trunk.

I just can't make the numbers add up to make any sense, too big a difference. For $13K, that about covers the 4 oil changes, and you still have enough left over to pick up a base Nissan Versa, or 4800 gallons of gas which covers 92,000 miles of driving at 19mpg.
    If money isn't a concern, I'm going with a Z06 or Viper. "If money isn't a concern" is a weak argument for BMW folks because if it wasn't, why settle on a 3 series?
This discussion has been closed.