Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    No reason to waste money ;)
  • py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    That is very true. Beside if you decided to own the BMW, u got a crap load of issues coming after the 4yrs warranty. I just don't see paying more to buy myself some expensive maintance problems. "Ultimate Driving Machine" or not, problems are all mine. My friend's 330i turn on it's windshield wiper whenever it wants to. On a sunny day, he looked like a crazy person, so he had to turn on the spray to cover... :shades:
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Just when I think I've made my decision to buy the G over the TL... confusion and doubt set in again.

I dropped off the new MDX for a subwoofer vibration and they gave me a new 07 TL for the day. it wasn't the Type-S like I'm considering, but still, it gave me the chance to play with it for the day. I liked it... but didn't fall in love with it.

I like the G over the TL in terms of what it offers me for options, even though the price is about $2,500 more when closely equipped.

I have 2 concerns with the G35x.

1) The Infiniti dealer is 50 miles away. My Acura dealer is right down the street and on my way to/from work.
    2) The G is getting less than fantastic owner reviews when it comes to MPG. My TL loaner gave me 28 in the city and 36 (Yes, 36!) on the highway... 50 miles to work. (75 mph in the left lane)

That's something to consider.
    I love the G although I have yet to make the trek down for a test drive.
    Funny, I was out for lunch in the TL loaner and saw a new 07 G. It caught my eye and it was hard to look away while trying not to crash my loaner. (LOL)

I have only seen one G on the road so far.
    Those TLs are EVERYWHERE!!!

I love the G's options and looks, but don't like the mileage people are reporting.
    Considering my commute and the mileage I rack on each year... I'm doubting my decision for the G this Spring. :cry:
    My gas consumption in the G would be literally double that of the TL.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Although somewhat disappointing, the additional money I spend on gas in my G is worth the various comparisons to the TL. I own an 03 G35 sedan, and my mileage is usually around 17/25 or so....I don't keep a close watch anymore but did for the first couple of years (I have 72K miles now, and the mileage did increase by about 1-2 mpg after the first year IIRC.) So, I don't think it's fair to say that the TL gas consumption would be half of the G (I realize there are engine differences between the 03 and 07 G but the displacement is the same.) An now, my commute is 650 miles weekly :D

It costs me a couple hundred dollars more per year in gas compared to a TL, and maybe another $150 or so for premium gas if the TL doesn't recommend that, but it's all worth it to me.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO- if fuel consumption is your only concern- GET THE G! This is the vehicle you have to drive everyday and you don't want to regret your choice.

Plus- I don't want to read all your complaints about the TL because you were so unhappy about buying it and it is anything less than perfect and reading comments like "I should have bought the G"

;););)
    don't want to read all your complaints about the TL because you were so unhappy about buying it and it is anything less than perfect and reading comments like "I should have bought the G"

LOL... point taken.

cheerioboy26 - Being an owner with the same type of commute as me, how's the G held up for you?

Do you at all regret your decision?
    Have you had any problems to report?

Thanks
    I am not surprise by the fact that there are more TL on the road, didn't it come out much earlier? Or you identified the 2007 ones only?

Anyway, like one of the earlier post from someone else indicated. There are more "TL type" of drivers than "G Type" drivers. So, no surprise there.

I am wondering though that you said TL has 36 MPG? What is the EPA from the base TL? Type S don't have 36MPG right?
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    The TL Type-S is rated for 19/28 according to Acura's website
    The G35 is rated for 19/26 according to Infiniti's website

So right there your about equal: and EPA estimates are actually a lot realer then most give credit to. the TL will probably get a tad bit better on the higway, but I would estimate that when you do a hard pass, or drive slightly more aggressive the G35 will actually do a little better thent he TL, having higher RPM at 75mph and still putting out 26mpg, means that it takes less throttle to accelerate to desired speed, and won't need to drop a gear.

Real world performance complaints that I've read on most forums are people that are out of their mind to begin with, expect 4 cyl. gas performance (in the high 20's for city and 30's for highway) That's not going to happen.

not sure how you drove the loaner, but 1 day is a small snapshot and usually inaccurate. all your highway MPG's are fully inflating the city MPG, I highly doubt you'll get 28MPG city over the coarse of 1 tank.

If you can pull 36 highway from the TL, then you'll get 30-32 from the G35... it's all in your drive style, the enginges are about equal in consumption.

I would strongly recommend you go test drive the G35, and post your experience... I think you will be shocked when you get behind the wheel of that car, especially if you get even the slightest enjoyment our of having power and performance.

Were you at all disappointed with the TL Type-S's engine/exhaust note? I found it sounded like a 4cyl. the G35 has a much sweeter note.
  • dvham1dvham1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm just now starting to consider the TL vs G decision and read through all the posts in this thread. Kring, your input has been very helpful.

One of the factors that has been a potential concern to me is the MPG experiences that I've read on various posts on different sites. While you're right that the 28/36 reported on the loaner day seem questionable, the overall theme that I've seen is that the G gets significantly worse mileage than the EPA estimates, while the TL comes in at the high end of those estimates. On average, I'd say the average G mileage is reported to be ~18, while the TL's is ~25. If these experiences are to be believed, that puts the TL's MPG at about 40% better. While mileage isn't my overriding decision factor, it's still on the list. With gas here in CA averaging about $2.70 over the past year for Regular (and as high as $3.40), and assuming 300 mi/wk, that would add up to ~$700/yr more in gas expenses for the G. So while the EPA estimates for the two are close, it seems like real-life experiences are telling a different story...
    IMHO, if you really appreciate the G, u simply can't tolerate the TL. I am in CA too, $700/yrs is just not enough to make me go to TL. :)
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Those EPA ratings for G and TL should be quite reliable. After all, they were tested under the same EPA rules and environment. The difference in real-life experience (i.e. MPG reported by owner) may be the driver. IMHO, people buying G may tend to drive more aggressively than TL-buyers. I, for one, cannot resist the power and engine note from the G. That certainly is not the way to conserve gas, and hardly the conditions for EPA testing purpose.
    Good point. Really depends on what your looking for in this segment. However, I too have the same opinion except I believe IMHO if you truly appreciate the TL you can't tolerate the G. ;)

Regarding the MPG- the TL will always get better gas mileage considering apples to apples driving style.
    I just wanna hop in on the TL MPG subject one more time, just to clarify.

I only had it for one day and I only drove it to work, and then back to the dealer, with a short trip out for lunch as well.

I have no idea what the car would offer me for MPG if I was to buy one and drive it daily.
    I just know what the Trip Computer was telling me.
    75 mph in the left lane for 25 minutes, with the occasional mashing of the gas to play, and I got 36 when I arrived to work.
    Tearing up some side streets for a half hour in the afternoon, I was at 28.
    I can only assume that the trip computer in the TL is as accurate as the one in the MDX.

Who knows. I know I wasn't babying it, but I wasn't beating on it by any means either.
    I have an 06 MDX Touring and other owners complain about their mph, while I enjoy 18/23. Not bad for a SUV.

As for the exhaust note, I am also very disappointed in the Type-S.
    I actually like the base TL's note better.

I have yet to hear the G.

Good points made, still leaning toward the G.
    I just hope they allow me more than a quick 5 minute test drive. Most don't allow the 45 minute test drive I got for while shopping the MDX.
    We'll see.
    I was in the same spot as you 1 yeara ago, G or TL. I decided on the TL for a couple of non-mpg reasons. I thought the driver seat was more comfy, but oddly not the passenger seat. The sound system was better, and these are very important to me for long commutes. :shades:
    For 2006, I probably would have leaned toward the TL as well.

But the 07 G.... :surprise:

They've done a lot of work to the G for the 07 model.
  • tasdisrtasdisr Member Posts: 25
    I have an 05 TL. My commute is short only about 8 miles each way for a total of around 16 miles a day. It is mostly
    what would be considered city driving. My average is around
    17-18 mpg. When I do drive highway my averaged is around 28-29 mpg. This is what the informational display on the dash shows and I am not sure how accurate it is.

I think the G35 would get similar mileage under similar driving conditions, probably a little less.
    Either car is an outstanding choice.
    I will admit I don't drive the G every day on my commute. I also drive my 00 Maxima sometimes(much to my wife's chagrin as she much prefers her car to mine). I just started this long commute in August, and I've driven 11K miles since then (maybe 8K I am not sure if I had 61 or 64K when I moved).

In any event, I've "modded" by G by adding Sirius and a Garmin GPS which helps speed my commute and control my sanity (central PA to DC is my drive 3x per week). My sedan is one of the "original" ones - I don't even have a SAT button on my radio. I took delivery in June 2002. I had a number of the early build issues that were fixed via a couple recalls or bulletins. After the first year it's been basically bullet proof, routine maintenance, and brakes that wear fast - I'm almost through my 3rd set of pads and the wheels are impossible to keep clean. That said, I know they've saved me a few times.

Since you're interested in the 07 vs. the 03, discussions of the interior are moot as the 07 is much better than mine, but mine had held up well I think. At the time I was comparing the previous generation TL as well.

No regrets....I held on to my previous car an extra year to wait for the G and it has been well worth it.
    Thank you... that's the kind of stuff I want to hear.

As for the coomment above regarding the milage of the G vs the TL... I don't think the G will be similar in results, as the TL is fwd and the G35x I'm considering is awd.

But like you, I also want the toys to keep my sanity during my long commute. :D
  • tasdisrtasdisr Member Posts: 25
    You are right about the mpg. I was thinking the G35 sedan
    not the AWD version. I was over on a G35 forum and someone there just posted his mpg on a 1600 mile trip. His mileage was not bad. I posted it below.

26.5 - all highway
    25.8 - all highway with much of it climbing to 7000 ft
    22.3 - around town mostly
    22.5 - " " "
    29.9!! - all highway
    23.4 - mixed
    25.9 - all highway
    That's just over 25mpg for the whole trip - not bad considering all the uphill and around town we did in between the longer drives. This was with 2 people and a maxed out packed trunk with some extra stuff flowing over to the back seat as well. For the first time ever I kept close to the speed limits on this trip (only about 5mph over). That means about 70-75 on I5, 75-80 on I40, and 65-70 on the rest of the highways.
  • dvham1dvham1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jtla (and all the others who responded) for the MPG feedback. jt, you probably hit it on the head re the different driving styles btwn the typical TL driver (esp non-S) and the typical G driver. Between your feedback and the others, mileage has now basically fallen off my criteria list in choosing btwn the two. :shades:
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Does anyone know if either the 07 TL or 07 G35 stereo automatically increases the volume as your speed increases. I have a 2001 BMW 5 series and I really like this feature.

Spyderred
    Does anyone know if either the 07 TL or 07 G35 stereo automatically increases the volume as your speed increases. I have a 2001 BMW 5 series and I really like this feature.

Neither brochure (which I just happen to have in front of me ;) ) mentions this option, but after driving an 07 TL loaner, I know the TL does not offer this.

I'm less that impressed with the TL Stereo.
    Yes, it offers clarity while listening to DVD-A discs, of which I only own 3, but it lacks everywhere else.
    CDs sound okay, XM sounds terrible (IMO) and it lacks wattage.
    Open a window or your moonroof on the highway and the stereo can no longer be heard.

I have not yet played with the G in person, but I hear the stereo is amazing.
    We'll see...
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I'm less that impressed with the TL Stereo.

Is it the same sterio as used in prior years, 'cause the sterio in my '04 TL is fantastic - maybe one of the best I've heard in any car, and I don't have any DVD audio discs.

The stock subwoofer and audio adjustments are perfect, and the sound is clear no matter how loud you play it. Don't know what else you could want... :surprise:
    My 03 G35 has this (three levels of increase available) so I would guess the new ones have it.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Well, I've got a new 07 TL S with 1000km on it now, so I'm expecting the mileage to increase a bit yet. I've converted these numbers to US mpg. Remember I'm up in the frozen North where temps with this car have ranged from 0C to -35C so far!!
    Highway mileage, speeds ranging from 60 to 75 mph = 29
    City mileage, 5 minute trips, long idle warm ups = 13
    Yes, your mpg will improve soon.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    That guy must be light on the pedal. I have an "X" but my mileage is more like 17-18mpg in town driving. I live in the 'burbs so it's not really city. On the highway I get more like 22-23mpg. I DO, however, average 75-85MPH. :)
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    They put the TL in 2nd over the 3rd place G?

Here is edmunds' take:

"Where does this leave the TL Type-S? On paper, it's still a distant-but-better front-wheel-driven 4th. It'll never convert die-hard rear-drive fans. It'll never be able to precisely manage more than 300 hp through its front tires. Even with its impressive list of year-to-year enhancements, the guys at BMW, Infiniti and Lexus will no doubt continue the evolution of the sport sedan species at an even more accelerated pace — and they're already one step ahead."
  • tszhfungtszhfung Member Posts: 12
    I can confirm that the 07 G has this feature.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Thank you.

Spyder.
    Yup! The Type-S trumped the G in the comparo. To make matters worse- the IS trumped the other two.

Edmunds' also stated among other positive things, "All this outstanding competence is undeniable. There is no question that the TL Type-S is the best TL ever, and it's more car than most entry-lux buyers would ever need or expect. It delivers an astonishing amount of performance and equipment, some of which is unavailable in the competitors, for a price that'll at least rattle the cages of the rear-drive faithful."

Where does this leave the G?
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    To me, Road & Track's ranking (or that of any car magazine for that matter) is just another opinion. I am not sure whether it carries more weight than that of some posters here (myself excluded :blush: ). I also wonder what if BMW 335i had been included in the comparo. If it were, its ranking would be anybody's guess. Car & Driver, Automobile may soon have their own test and own ranking. In any case, these rankings don't prove anything, and will change few people's thought on their favorite cars. Personably, I enjoy reading these magazines and comparos, but I certainly will not buy my next car based on any magazine's ranking.

Just my 2 cents.
    To be honest, I completely agree with you. I could care less who wins what and in what order according ro X,Y, Z magazine. I agree that folks will still buy vehicles based on their own individual preferences and desires. When C&D and perhaps Motor Trend and others do the comparo of all the vehicles in this segment, I sincerely doubt there won't be pages upon pages about the results of that comparo because ultimately people will differ on what is important to them when evaluating these cars. But, I will enjoy reading the comparos too ;)

I do think its funny though that when the TL-S beats out the G in some Japanese comparo, the magazine/editors are suddenly smoking crack.

Just my .02
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The word 'beats' in this comparo is very subjective, except for one area. That's room in the driver's cockpit. Sit in the G35 for a bit, then move into the TL. All of a sudden the cramped feeling from the G goes away when you sit in the TL. Your left knee doesn't ride the door handle like it does in the G. The narrowness of the G isn't in the TL.

Maybe Japanese people fit in a G okay, but most Americans are bigger than Japanese, and the TL just fits us/me better.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I have no doubt the next generation TL will far and I mean far surpass the competition.Acura has always been one step ahead of the competition and then plays catch up in the latter years, ask me why, I dont know.If Acura will only listen more to the criticism, I think they will obliterate the copetition- V8 in the RL, TL needs SH-AWD and rear wheel drive as an option.I know this will be addressed in the next generation of cars that is why I am afraid to sign the deal on a GS350.
    PS- another negative for the GS-it is fitted with 225/50/17 tires, for a car in this class, come on Lexus, put on some 245/50/18 on this big boy.
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    "Where does this leave the G?"

The G takes no backseat to the TL is a sports sedan shoot-out. MotorTrend doesn't even bother to invite the TL to the show.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Your obvious disdain for the TL clouds the "fact" that the G's cockpit is too small, unless you're a little guy.
    Really depends on what your looking for in a ELLPS sedan. If I wanted a true performance vehicle I would by a BMW. Last time I looked this forum is about comparing the G and TL not, "Which is the better performance sedan- TL or G?"

The new G really disappoints me because I thought Infiniti would bridge the gap with the 3er. Instead, the G still delivers lackluster performance compared to the 3er, still has a cheap looking interior, noisy cabin, road noise and quite simply lacks finesse. If performance was my only goal in ELLPS it would be the 335i not the G, TL, IS, CTS, etc...

If you want to speak rhetorically then my response is the G did take a backseat That's pretty sad.

Car and Driver invited the TL to the show- twice. In the most recent comparo- the G lost to the 330i and the IS. So, according to you if Motor Trend doesn't "invite" the TL to the show then it must suck performance wise? It's sad that a FWD TL can outhandle the G on a slalom isn't it?

BTW, Motor Trend did do a comparo including the TL, G, CTS and Saab 9-3.

Waste your $$ on the G and I'll waste mine on the TL. Either way you look at it- neither measures up to the 335i performance wise.
    I tend to think even the driver cockpit design is subjective. When I ride on the TLS, I felt like sitting on a flat leather seat that is just there. Take a turn harder, I slided with the car. Just like any other sedan. Never felt that you are with the car as one like when I was riding with the G. The G seat is built for sport driving, driver oriented, brought back some of the feeling from the last RX7 driver seat. Just some...not too much. :blush:

PY
  • bucanolebucanole Member Posts: 18
    Billy, 245/45/18 are what is on the rear, at least for the sport package, 225/50/18 are on the front.
    I never slide in my seat when taking a hard turn im my TL. Maybe you didn't have the seat adusted for your size? :surprise:
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Not sure how a narrower cockpit where my leg rides the door handle is subjective. To me its just too tight.
    It's easy. Narrow is not an absolute term, it's relative and subjective. I am not saying it's not narrow to you. As a matter of fact, I saying exactly what you are saying. It's narrow "to you".
    So true, but if you are size of NFL offensive lineman, most cars will seem narrow. :P
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Not on the AWD GS 350, matbe on the RWD car.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    even though I own a TL and have been a life-long Honda owner, I must say the '07 G has caught my attention somewhat. And, having driven a brand new rental '07 Altima around for a couple of days (in the Bay Area, frisconick!), I have grown kind of fond of that intelligent key/push button start feature. I used to regard it as gimmicky, but having used it, it makes the conventional key-fob remote seems stone-age!

I also have a fondness for BMWs, but in Canada, I can get a fully-loaded G35x with Nav for the price of a base 328xi with just a couple of minor options. Hate the chrome-look alloys on the G though...
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    What chrome-look alloys on the G? they don't offer that.
    Welcome to Frisco bod!!!

Driving in this city can be tuff in any car. :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Really? Maybe they only look that way online. I requested a brouchure. I'll take a closer look when I receive it.
This discussion has been closed.