Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Sierra/Silverado 2500 & 3500

Comments

• pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    try this web site for HD info

www.HDsilverado.com

enter code 30029 to get in. enjoy
    pat
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    Pat

Thanks for the web site and information lots of great stuff.

Thanks again Richard Mc
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    Sierrahd has the same info but for gmc vehicles
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the web site....Cool pictures and lots of great tech info. There has been a lot of controversy about the horsepower and torque figures for the 6.01. This site confirms the 325HP and 370lbs numbers.

Stan
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    I checked with my dealer about KL5, as your question reminded me I forgot that option while ordering. He said it was not in the computer, and they had no way of knowing when it would be available. The first dealer I tried to order from also said it wasn't in the computer, but they had no clue what I was talking about. The guy I ordered from knew exactly what the option was, he just didn't know when it would become available. Good luck with your wait, and let us know when you get your truck.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Anyone got a dealer code for this site. Forget where my window sticker is and don't want to hassle and call my dealer today. Stopped by a big local GMC dealer last friday, not the one I have dealt with in the past. They said they have two HD 2500 on order to be delivered next month, one for the owner the other sold. Will not have any for stock or allocations for delivery until January (delivered month). He said they expect a 10 week wait for ordered vehicles at that time. This dealer had about twenty five half tons on his lot and a couple of light 3/4. Looks like they are kind of sparse on allocations for a while.

Thanks

Hunter
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    http://www.gmaltfuel.com/

Logged onto the above website, read all the old stuff. Called the info line, guy sending me the new documentation when it gets printed in a week and a half. Says that I'll get my copy before my dealer.

Figured out the CNG tank takes up a bunch of space in the bed. Probably not willing to go that way as the reason I drive these stupid trucks is for the LB....

Gonna check tomorrow to see if my vehicle gets allocated. When I ordered the vinyl seats in the crew cab, the order guy said something about deleting the head rests. I assume this is for the rear seats, not the front. Anybody know any different? Anybody seen the folding rear crew cab seat?
    i tried 30001 and it worked!
  • t37l1011t37l1011 Member Posts: 24
    Has anybody heard any fuel mileage figures on the duramax diesel and the 8.1 gas?
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    t37l1011, Trailerlife magazine just did a big article on both truck engines. They wailed on them for 1800 miles with lots of hill climbs. The Duramax unloaded got around 20.6 MPH. This was a crew cab 4x4. The 8.1 got around 12.8, an extended cab 4x4. With a max load though, the Duramax got in the upper nines and the 8.1 gasser was in the high sevens. Trailerlife said that both engines were incredible and thought for the tests and their size they got excellent mileage.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...hmmmm....about what I get now in a 2500 6.0.....hmmmmm..what rear end gear?

- Tim
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    read the Trailer Life article also. The extended cab 8.1 had 4.10 axle, and the Duramax had 3.73. Apparently, because of the torque curve and transmission gearing, the Duramax is offered with the 3.73 axle only.
    I WILL get the 8.1 in my next 2002 HD 2500 Crew?

....course I bet they don't drive like me...I might get 10 if I'm lucky?...

...course with an 8.1 I have to get an Allison?.....which I really don't need...

hmmmmm

- Tim
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    if you don't need the Allison, get the ZF six speed manual. Better gas mileage too. If you ever did wear it out, wonder what an overhaul on that Allison auto would cost?
    Stang...I don't want one for a truck I use for commuting.....too much of a pain...

Now in a Chevelle......gimme an M-22 any day!

- Tim
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping for 20+ so that sounds real good. I'm sure it would take the rest of my life to get a Duramax delivered. I sure can't see spending another 2 grand for an automatic though. 4 for the diesel is going to be hard enough.
    I sure hope that isn't your highway mileage! I better get those gas cards warmed up. The Trailer life article said the mileage numbers were at 60 mph. I would bet the 75 most people do on the interstate would knock things down a bit. I have read that diesels are even more sensitive to speed increases as far as mileage goes. The way everyone ranted about the Duramax it sounded like it would be getting 24 mpg. Now it looks like it will be under 20 with normal cruise speeds. I'm glad I didn't get in line for one of those based on mileage alone.
  • gm3bud8gm3bud8 Member Posts: 1
    http://www.gmaltfuel.com/

Looks like GM finally updated their alternative fuel site, BUT looks like they do not even have the bi-fuel system option for the new engines. Yes they have the hardened valves, standard on 6.0L, and the option (available in July) for hardened valve seats (KL5). I have been waiting since July for the bi-fuel propane system option for the Silverado 6.0L engine, but could not wait any longer and ordered a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L CC on Sept. 6th and I will get it converted for bi-fuel here in Arizona. Could not pass up the Arizona grant money that is being offered.
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    but I just talked with a dealer that has a friend of his that is a tech with GM. He drove a 2wd Duramax (empty) from Detroit to Tennessee and got 17.7 mpg. The dealer was bragging about it but I was kind of disappointed considering all that I had heard. He said that it would pull like a scalded clydesdale, though.
  • caveman3caveman3 Member Posts: 14
    Y2k 6.0 3.73 ext. cab 2500 long bed, 5000 mile trip empty 70-75-80 interstate hwy.. 15.03 mpg. back home ,city, hwy avg. 14 to 15 mpg empty.
  • greggauchogreggaucho Member Posts: 62
    I bet he was driving it like a scalded clydesdale!
    I would have.

Worst I've heard was the 20 MPH in the dually crew (not exactly sure about configuation, but I think that is what I remember it to have been) cab from trailer life.
    I meant 20 mpg, not 20 mph
  • kjhorenkjhoren Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there will be a sliding rear window option for the 3500 GMC? I just ordered one, but it wasn't a option... I deperately want one, any aftermarket leads if not offered? Thanks
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    The trailer life article never said that the mileage numbers were at 60 mph. They did an acceleration test from zero 0 to 60 with the trucks empty and loaded though. I suspect based upon the article that the trucks where worked heavily and the mileage that they got was good for the task at hand. The fuel mileage for a diesel should only get better after engine break-in which is usually 40k miles or so. However for a non bombed diesel, the Duramax pull very good.
    Sounds like GM was having problems with the slider breaking, so for now, may be hard/impossible to get. Besides, you are probably better off getting an aftermarket slider. Besides you have to get the defrosting rear window if you want heated mirrors, which I think is a great option where winters get cold.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ponder an electric slider. Might be worth the money

Ryan
  • kjhorenkjhoren Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses, still interested in finding one. If my truck comes in, any idea where I could find an aftermarket rear slider?
  • sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
    The Duramax article does say "Mileage recorded at 95 degrees F ambient temperature, 2,000 feet elevation and sea level, 60mph, predominantly flat high-way"..

I'm not going to dispute the Mileage figures for this test... But, I am also not going to say they are BAD considering the Duramax had very low miles..

I have also looked at MANY Cummins and Powerstroke Mileage figures, and from what I have seen the Duramax is ahead in when empty and the same when towing..

Steve O
  • blawlessblawless Member Posts: 29
    I looked back a ways and it has been a while since I have seen a price. I called Dave Smith motors in Kellogg, Idaho. www.davesmith.com
    I got a quote for a 3500 crew cab with every option but leather and the 8.1L. I was quoted a delivery date of June '01 and a price of $34,118. I have since decided to go with the diesel engine which will bring my price to around $38k and I don't know what that would do to the delivery date.
    By the way, my wife and I got invited to the GM powertour. We are attending on the October 20th. I'll let you know what I learn. See you later.
    For reference I tow a 5000lb boat and a 2200lb camper. (Soon to be 3500lb camper)

P.S. greggaucho, where in OR are you located. From what you have mentioned, it sounds eastern. I am in Boise. Later.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Both the Silverado and Sierra 2001 book that has the HD is in the dealers now, got the silverado last week, and the sierra this week. Looks like from all my annalysis that it would be dumb to by the hd with the 6.0L< unless you need the extra 300 lbs payload. You are forced into a 4.10, it sits 2" higher, it weighs several hundred pounds more (all combined to at least 1mpg less gas milage and slower acceleration.) Unless you need a crew cab, then it is your only choice. The 2500 ld and hd have the same engine, tranny and basic capacity. My next truck Id like to be the 2500 hd wit the diesel/allison, that is the reason to buy the truck. But if I decide the gas route, it's the ld for me.

LOL
    Hunter
    blawless,
    I'm in Bend, Oregon. But I'm heading east tomorrow -- CHUKAR HUNTING in the Steens!!! So I'll be off radar until Monday. Sure would be nice to be towing my ATVs over with my new Duramax, but that'll have to wait.

Hunter,
    You also don't have the option of autotrac on the HD. Like you said, the standard 2500 is a good option if you are getting the 6.0L.
    I got the 6.0l cuz I need a crew cab....This engine can't be any worse than my 99 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat with the 5.4l....I had a five inch lift and ran 35's and got 10-11 city and 12-13 highway....that truck sat way higher and also had the 4.10's...the 6.0l should atleast get those numbers with 35's(recalibrated) and should have ten times more power than the 235HP Triton...that is the main reason i sold it...and no i didn't need a Pstroke or its price tag...and the V10 came with 4.30 gears....
    I got the extended cab HD with the 6.0L because I like the new hood/grill, the 2" lift, and the full floating rear axle. I would have gotten the 4.10 anyway, as once I put bigger tires on it the effective ratio will drop. I think this decision comes down to appearance more than anything, (If all you want/need is an extended cab with the 6.0L). If you like a 4x4 to sit up high, and like the more aggressive front end, the HD is the way to go. If you think a 3.73 is going to improve your mileage that much and/or don't like the looks of the HD then go with the LD. Not being able to get the Autotrac is the only real negative on the HD in my mind, and I was going to get the floor shifter regardless because I have had a couple friends whose F@rds' push buttons broke/shorted leaving them stranded in 2wd. To each his own though. I can't wait until Thanksgiving!
    Yep, it's not like you are going to go wrong with these trucks. But the other positive about the LD, they are available now.
    what kinda strange options???

Ryan
    I would have ordered one either way, so time wasn't a factor. I chose a very strange combination of options, especially for the area I live in, so no one would have had a LD on their lot that I would have wanted. But like we all said, either one is a great truck. I can't wait!
  • henryammonshenryammons Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for the dumb question, but will I be able to order a HD diesel crew cab with four-wheel steering for 2001?

Thanks,
    Henry
    4 wheel drive yes but not 4 wheel steering like that on the terradyne. SUpposedly in 2002 gm is going to put the delphi system into a gm vehicle wont say which one but its coming hold off till 2002 if you really want 4 wheel steering like on the concept terradyne.

Ryan
    longer than 2002 before we see that....

I'd imagine in a year the "regular" 2500 won't be around....so kiss the 8600GVW "LD" goodbye..

- Tim
  • caveman3caveman3 Member Posts: 14
    2001 2500 BROCHURE STATES THAT THE 2500 WITH 6.O WITH 4.10 AXLE HAS A HIGHER MAX TRAILER WT. THAN THE 2500 HD with the 6.0 . only way to increase trailer wt. is to go with the 8100 or the diesel, but still limited to 2500 lbs kingpin wt. looks like the 2000 2500 HD is the same as the 2001 2500. excuse the caps.
    ...I'm getting a 2002 HD 6.0...and I don't really care if it's 8600 or 9200

- Tim
    How about Snow Plow Prep and Block Heater, in Dallas? The bench seat, (I would have gotten the buckets until I found out you had to get power with them this year. That console is nice, but not worth $900 in my opinion) My dealer told me the roof marker lights are weird too, but I think he is mistaken, as most of the big trucks I see around here do have them. Floor shifted transfer case, and dual batteries aren't real common either, but maybe a 50/50 mix of trucks with and without them.

Why did I get these options? I wanted every practical option I could ever imagine I might need. Being from Chicago originally, I could see moving back up North for the right opportunity, so that explains some of it. Basically though, I don't ever want to be forced to buy another truck because this one isn't up to the task. Always buy more truck than you need now, because you are bound to need it all later.

For anyone that cares, I compared frames on the 1500, 2500, and the new 2500HD last night. The big difference between the 2500 and 2500HD is the section under the bed that is just a stamped C channel. On the 2500HD it continues to be 8" high all the way back. On the 2500 it necks down at the joint of the middle frame section to about 6.5" for the rest of the way back. Everything else looks the same.
    I'm sure that guy driving the duramax to Tennessee was letting it fly, so 17+ doesn't sound to bad at high speed. I would like to know where he delivered it to, since I live in Tennessee. Sure would like to drive that truck. Anybody out there found a dealer with a duramax/6 speed available to drive. I don't think I'm gutsy enough to order one without ever driving it.
    Yep u will definitly need the snow plow prep pkg if you come back to chicago. Last 3 yrs we have had very good blizzards. Im from northwest indiana pretty close to chicago. Pretty unbelieveable weather. Saturday night we got a bunch of snow already. All melted already though.

Ryan
  • blawlessblawless Member Posts: 29
    I currently pull some very heavy loads with a 305ci engine and I get 6mpg full and 10 empty. 17mpg sounds like an unattainable dream to me.
    I also pull 7 and 9% grades at 15mph. Even if it is not head and shoulders above a gas engine, I don't mind getting 10-12mpg loaded if it means cruising 65 up the grades.
    Ouch, 10 MPG with 305 gas. I read where the duramax was supposed to get a lot better mileage than the 6.2 diesel. My dad has a customized chevy van with the 6.2 diesel that will get 22 on the highway at 70 MPH. So I would be pretty disappointed if the duramax couldn't get at least 20+ MPG. I guess only time will tell. Dealers around here aren't getting any duramax's in for a while.
  • sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
    A guy posted on The Diesel Page, that North American Hunter Magazine did an article on a Duramax which also included Mileage figures..
    -------------
    He said.. "In the October issue of North American Hunter on page 82, they have a report on the F*#D killer. With an unloaded 2500 Duramax four-door 4x4 got more than 21 mpg while driving OVER the speed limit on the highway and MORE than 14mpg while fully loaded! The picture they have in the article is a 4 door extended cab LWB 4x4 in Forest Green. Very Sharp Truck!"..
    ---------------

I personally haven't seen the article.. If anyone happens to know see it please post on it..
    I'm going to see if I can locate it tomorrow, And will comment then...

Steve
    According to Pontiac over at PUTC, production started yesterday on Duramax-equipped trucks, as scheduled.
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    My dealer called to say my 2001 2500HD EXT Cab, 4X4 was offloaded from the train carrier last Saturday. That means a few days to get it to the dealer and then I will be driving it. Can't wait!
    After reading the posts from everyone else, my 'puter is tired of me drooling on it!

Stan
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    For whomever asked, the truck was at a dealership close to the Jackson, TN area. The driver did not deliver it to that dealer, however. He was on his way to Texas, I believe, to some kind of GM test center down there. The dealer that he stopped at said that they hooked up a 10,000lb. trailer to it and they said that it easily outpulled a 454 that they usually pull with...and on one particular grade by about 12 mph. I have seen a couple of HD 2500 2wd 6.0's around here on the lots, though, so there are some here, but I doubt that we will be seeing any diesels for a while.
This discussion has been closed.