-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    "Isn't that how we keep score in the US? The best and the brightest rack up the most greenbacks? "

Surely you jest
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    "Sometimes it is the most crooked. I would put Gore in there with Bernie Madoff !! "

Aw, c'mon now....

AlGore has not directly broken ANY laws.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did I forget the sarcasm button? :shades:
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    AlGore has not directly broken ANY laws

Now how could you know that Mr. Defense Attorney?

It took about 30 years to catch Bernie and he was breaking laws right and left the whole time. IMO Gore will eventually be exposed as a fraud and a crook.

Also, to say that he "misspoke" when he said that the earth's temperature was 2 million degrees 2 miles down in ludicrous. I would say that he was either drunk, or grossly ignorant. Maybe both !!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Especially when a person has a history of being "misspoken", always misspeaking that things are worse than they really are in regards to the amount of change and the amount of evidence of the GW theories. If he just misspoke randomly that would be normal, but it's always misspeaking to-the-extreme. It's amazing to me that for a person who misstates the facts so many times, that he would be considered eligible for a Nobel prize!

larsb: you should not so easily excuse leaders for misspeaking. Leaders need to be accurate and communicate in exact and well-thought-out terms. I believe you'll find that we would have never invaded Iraq a few years ago, if a few of our leaders hadn't "misspoke" about their level of confidence and sources that were informing them that Iraq had WMD. Many people died because a few misspoke, leading Congress to believe the WMD were irrefuteably there.
  • Options
    Especially when a person has a history of being "misspoken", always misspeaking that things are worse than they really are in regards to the amount of change and the amount of evidence of the GW theories. If he just misspoke randomly that would be normal, but it's always misspeaking to-the-extreme. It's amazing to me that for a person who misstates the facts so many times, that he would be considered eligible for a Nobel prize!

larsb: you should not so easily excuse leaders for misspeaking. Leaders need to be accurate and communicate in exact and well-thought-out terms. I believe you'll find that we would have never invaded Iraq a few years ago, if a few of our leaders hadn't "misspoke" about their level of confidence and sources that were informing them that Iraq had WMD. Many people died because a few misspoke, leading Congress to believe the WMD were irrefuteably there.
  • Options
    ."you should not so easily excuse leaders for misspeaking."

I do excuse them. I don't consider AlGore a "leader" but merely a profiteering goofball. ( He is a leader of what?)

But so far, legal, until we know otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty, et al.

I'll take your off-topic bait:

You are confusing "misspoken" with "mistaken" in regard to the Iraqi war. Almost every allied nation was in agreement about the WMD intelligence. It was not a "misspoken" situation at all. It's not a lie if you tell it when you believe it is true. George Bush, and honorable man, did not convince Colin Powell, an honorable man, to go in front of the U.N. and LIE. They BELIEVED what they said.
  • Options
    Well finally we agree on something ! :surprise:

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    So they were ignorant instead of deceptive. Much better.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Getting back to geothermal energy. Al Gore is correct that it is a valuable source of energy. I don't know about 35,000 years worth. That may be one of his exaggerations. I do know that CA and Hawaii have both put roadblocks to tapping that very real source of energy. So again environmentalists block alternative energy. It is getting to be a regular occurrence. Much of the problem lies in the high power lines needed to get power from the sources to the demand in big cities.
  • Options
    There's geotherm here in Boise; heats a lot of the state office buildings downtown. It's not blocked but it is regulated. If they don't dump the cooled water back in the aquifer, they'll run out of hot water at some point.

So it's renewable, unlike oil where you tap it and it's not coming back anytime soon.

Now that the leaves have fallen, I've spotted the windmill in a neighbor's yard a few blocks away again on one of our walks. I need to go knock on their door sometime and get the skinny.
  • Options
    I think most geothermal systems are closed loop. The heat in the ground heats water in a closed loop system. It turns to steam when super heated, and turns the turbines (turbans if you are A Gore) which generates the electricity.

LAKE COUNTY, Calif., Nov. 2, 2007 (KGO) (KGO) -- The competition to unlock the energy within the earth is heating up. Geothermal is already the number one source of renewable power in California, and it's about to get even bigger. Northern California is at the core of this drive.

The earth's core produces intense heat, usually far below the surface. When water comes in contact with this heat, you get steam and that can produce the electricity. Seventy miles north of San Francisco is the largest geothermal field in the world, already powering close to 800,000 homes, and there's plenty more power where that came from.

One 30-foot section of drilling pipe at a time, the roughnecks at Bottle Rock in Lake County are digging deep. They're chasing the heat trapped 8,000 feet below in the earth's fractures or chambers. When water comes in contact with the 450-degree temperatures, you get steam.

Naturally the folks in No CA are gungho for alternative energy. What they are clueless about is the hassles we have in So CA with a bunch of Enviro do gooders coming down and blocking most of our efforts to produce and transmit alternative energy. So far our most productive source is wind generators on Indian land. That is good for the Indians and us. Our transmission line project has run into so many hassles it is doubtful we will ever get solar from the desert. There are also small geothermal producers out in the desert. Not sure of their current status. They are on BLM land and may be operated by the DOE.
  • Options
    Just found this recent update on our geothermal energy in SO CA.

EL CENTRO, California - At a time when alternative energy and “green jobs” have become a significant talking point under the administration of Barack Obama, Imperial Valley is pushing to make it a reality.

The Valley –- which locals in this part of southern California also call Imperial County — already has 10 geothermal plants in operation with a combined capacity of around 330 megawatts. Geothermal energy, extracting power from underground heat, is a constant and sustainable form of generating electricity.

“This is going to be a great opportunity for the Imperial Valley,” which has a high unemployment rate, said Mark Gran, vice president of community relations at CalEnergy. “We’re going to be the renewable energy capital of the world.”

Potential geothermal or other renewable energy projects need to go through a lengthy approval process. But Imperial County officials have streamlined that process to help companies get permits far quicker, in particular for power plants under 50 megawatts. The state of California has more say in larger projects and has a reputation for being a stickler for due process.

“Getting anything done in California is hard,” said Imperial Valley Economic Development Corporation CEO Tim Kelley. “But it is less hard to get it done here.”

Local officials hope that renewable energy will help lower rising unemployment and help diversify the economy of this rural, largely agricultural community. But one problem Imperial County faces is transmission – getting the power to customers in major markets like San Diego, around 100 miles to the west on the Pacific coast.

“It’s one thing to produce the power, but we need to be able to deliver it to customers,” Kelly said.

http://blogs.reuters.com/route-to-recovery/tag/geothermal/
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Happy upcoming Thanksgiving everyone.

There are thousands of scientists who now say there is no global warming. Many are now saying that the globe is cooling and we could be on the cusp of a new ice age.

One volcanic eruption could account for a thousand years of human acitivity.

Some crazy people even say that Global Warming is about controling your life and property.

No couldnt be.
  • Options
    The Climate Change Cult just will not give up. They use every trick they know to get their agenda on track.

Suneeta Mukherjee, country representative of the United Nations Food Population Fund (UNFPA), said women in the Philippines are the most vulnerable to the effects of climate change in the country.

“Climate change could reduce income from farming and fishing possibly driving some women into sex work and thereby increase HIV infection," Mukherjee said during the Wednesday launch of the UNFPA annual State of World Population Report in Pasay City.

Could reduce income and actually changing is a big difference. The area is known for the sex trade. So now they are trying to make the rest of the world feel guilty for their own mess. They need to adapt not expect the USA to subsidize them.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/177346/climate-change-pushes-poor-women-to-prostitut- ion-dangerous-work
  • Options
    Here is a thought. A huge Volcano could blow the whole Island chain to kingdom come. I suppose we need to do something to avoid it. Unbelievable! :sick:
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Here's another thought -- if the stated problem is that the inhabitants are overfishing and overpopulating, maybe one goal would be to teach the inhabitants how to fish and farm sustainably? All of the solutions offered seem to involve bringing population dynamics into the discussion of climate change... with the goal of preventing women from turning into prostitutes who will inevitably contract HIV (prostitutes are already in the area, and apparently prostitution itself is contagious... and is also caused by climate change?).

Or maybe I just had trouble making the tortuous connections between the dots :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    Or maybe I just had trouble making the tortuous connections between the dots

To me it was just another example of how far the GW bunch will go to push their agenda. Getting children to cry about the Polar bears etc etc. I found it an unbelievable stretch myself.

I am waiting to see more on the hackers uncovering damning evidence against several scientific groups that were conspiring to make their case for MM/CC more plausible.
  • Options
    Anyone want to comment on those hacked/leaked emails from noted GW scientists discussing how to hide the temp declines and squeeze out the scientists who did not agree with them?

Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg and we will learn more.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I am not big on invasion of privacy. However that should be public domain if it has an impact on our lives. Our privacy is in a shambles anyway. With the WH requesting a list of people that access certain websites. Wonder which ones they monitor. Probably Edmund's. :shades:
  • Options
    Nah, they just monitor one or two people who happen to hang out here. :D
  • Options
    As more of this info is analyzed I believe it is going to be an extremely explosive issue. Some of the emails are hilarious. What a bunch of nerds !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Heh, nerds? Who better to be studying and trying to understand this stuff?
  • Options
    Why are MM/GW scientists so much more likely to denigrate an opposing viewpoint or theory?

But Myron Ebell, director of energy and global warming policy for the Competitive Enterprise Institute, said this and other exchanges show researchers have colluded to establish the scientific consensus that humans are causing climate change.

"It is clear that some of the 'world's leading climate scientists,' as they are always described, are more dedicated to promoting the alarmist political agenda than in scientific research," said Ebell, whose group is funded in part by energy companies. "Some of the e-mails that I have read are blatant displays of personal pettiness, unethical conniving, and twisting the science to support their political position."

In one e-mail, Ben Santer, a scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, offered to beat up skeptic Pat Michaels, a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute, out of sympathy for Jones.

Neither Jones nor Santer could be reached for comment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112004093_- pf.html

My guess is MM/CC alarmist are closer neanderthal by nature. They do want US to live in a cave.
  • Options
    The head of the org. in question here, in some of the leaked info., said he would prefer that there was MMGW, no matter the consequences to the earth and its inhabitants, than to be proven wrong on the issue !!

What does that tell you?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Record High Temperatures Far Outpace Record Lows Across US:

Record High Temperatures Far Outpace Record Lows Across US

If temperatures were not warming, the number of record daily highs and lows being set each year would be approximately even. Instead, for the period from January 1, 2000, to September 30, 2009, the continental United States set 291,237 record highs and 142,420 record lows, as the country experienced unusually mild winter weather and intense summer heat waves.
  • Options
    The GW cult are grasping at straws. The hockey stick has been debunked so now they are counting record days in hopes of convincing an ever more skeptical public. I think the recent exposure of the AGW scientists agenda leaves little doubt that they were not interested in facts or honest debate. They had an agenda to show that man is the culprit and we should tax the crap out of him. It has been pushed by the tax and spend element in our government since day one. And they were able to spread the contaminated data across the globe.

Tell me why I should believe Science Daily anymore than the skeptic blogs? Follow the money and you will get your answer.
  • Options
    Explain to me again how/why scientists have been convinced to "lie" for "money?"

What money?

How can lying about your research make you money?

And if it's all about the grants, then why can't you just do "other" research instead of the research that someone offers you to "lie" about your data?
  • Options
    There are 1000s of scientists getting grants for everything under the sun. Including the one in the stimulus to study the sex lives of female college students. When you get a grant it has to be for some sort of study. The criteria will determine if you get it. Or your Congressman may grant it as an earmark.

If I write a grant proposal that says I have good data to back up MM/GW then publish a report saying MM/GW is NOT likely, do you think I will get anymore money. The Feds have a vested interest in MM/GW. It is there ticket to higher taxation of coal, oil and Natural gas. Which will be paid by our consumption of those products. If it is found that they are not causing irreparable damage to the environment, it will be a hard sale to the American people. The whole thing ballooned and it became International in scope. Now we have people on little islands wanting to sue US for making the oceans rise. When in reality they have NOT risen. Just speculation that they will.
  • Options
    "Shell Oil company representatives are pressing the White House for a one-year delay in implementing a controversial regulation that would expand America's biofuels mandate beginning in January.

The EPA regulation dramatically enlarges the existing renewable-fuels program to 36 billion gallons by 2022 compared with 9 billion gallons in 2008. The 2007 energy law authorizing the regulation also created explicit mandates for emerging cellulosic ethanol and advanced biofuel technologies and specified greenhouse gas reduction criteria for fuels to qualify."

As Deadline Nears, Shell Urges White House to Delay Biofuels Mandate One Year (Green Car Advisor)
  • Options
    Like I said - there is nothing that says scientists must keep lying to get their money.

They can say, "I don't want your dirty scam money - I will look for grants that don't require me to lie. There are PLENTY of them out there."

So at that point, the "granter of the greenbacks" no longer has any hold on them.

I just can't see scientists intentionally lying to get money. Goes against all my notions of scientific integrity.
  • Options
    larsb, didn't you read the leaked emails and get an idea how petty these guys are? These guys have an agenda. Of course the grant money is part of it and another big part is their giant egos. They will never admit they are wrong about GW even if hell freezes over and they will twist and subvert the data if they have to. Wake up.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Here is one summary of the e-mails uncovered in the growing "climategate" scandal:

It shows made biased and overly alarmist presentations of the climate data and worked to suppress the work of scientists who disagreed with global warming. It also shows attacks on the careers of scientists, journalist and editors who disagreed with global warming.

larsb: I just can't see scientists intentionally lying to get money. Goes against all my notions of scientific integrity.

Scientists are human beings, not gods. They are just as susceptible to the forces of greed, pride and lust for power as the rest of us.

They are just as prone to lie or bend the truth in order to gain research grants (scientists have to eat and pay their mortgages, too) or downplay evidence that discredits or punches holes in their theories (they are prone to hubris, too).

Think of how posters on this site argue and debate to defend their ideas or views...is it hard to believe that scientists will not resort to much more extreme tactics when the stakes are so much higher?
  • Options
    My ears are plugged with my fingers and I'm saying "Nah Nah Nah Nah" over and over in an effort to not believe it.

I still don't think that anyone who does science for a living would "willingly deceive" the public or anyone else by falsifying data just for grant money.

Like I said - there are OTHER grants available. Let the most rotten 1% lie, and the other 99% be honest and take money only from sources which allow them to be honest about their research.
  • Options
    You've got to look at it this way.

In the "regular" corporate world, people who lie to the public get fired or prosecuted. There is oversight.

Why is the science arena any different?

I would not tell a huge lie for my boss, a lie which would rob millions of people.

The number of people who would do that is small.
  • Options
    A scientist does not have to tell an outright lie about global warming.

Remember, manmade global warming hasn't been proven - or proven false.

There is a collection of evidence and material, but it has not been conclusive one way or the other. In this environment, interpretation of findings and any new material are critical. Scientists don't have to resort to outright lies - they can attempt to smear the reputations of those with different conclusions, or sit on evidence that contradicts their beliefs. Both of which appear to have happened here.

Technically, they were not lying (that would have required them to say, "I know that manmade global warming is happening" when there was conclusive proof that it isn't happening, and they were aware of that proof). What I see is suppression of contradictory evidence and ridiculing the opposition, instead of debating them on the merits.

The ironic thing is that we are going to become more efficient in our use of fossil fuels anyway. Why? Because of price pressures from growing global demand (in China, India, etc.) and the resistance to increased drilling or building more power plants in this country. We are going to have to get more from less. This has nothing to do with global warming.

The sooner we move beyond this global warming hysteria, the sooner we can begin to make productive strides in this area. But some people are afraid to let the free market come into play here. After all, it's tought to get a cap-and-trade scheme - and the associated expanded bureaucracy - through Congress unless we have plenty of nightmare scenarios (The polars will all die! New Yorkers will drown when the oceans rise! Rising temperatures will turn Kansas into a desert!) if we don't.
  • Options
    Good points. Nothing is proven either way, which is something I have said on this forum many times.

No one has gotten rich except AlGore, and not ALL of his riches have come from GW - some were just from timely investments.

No harm no foul. :)

( But that arctic ice ain't meltin' it's own self. )
  • Options
    We're going to be cutting back on fossil fuel use one way or another. The days when the Explorer is the family car of choice are over (although that is being driven as much by the collapse of housing values as by rising fuel prices).
  • Options
    grbeck says, "The days when the Explorer is the family car of choice are over"

Hey, regardless of WHY that is happening, the cleaner air and my lungs are very thankful !!!
  • Options
    Good post and you hit the nail on the head.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/11/wmo-20091123.html#more

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/420r09014.pdf
    "CO2 is the most important greenhouse gas, responsible for a majority of all global, anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions. Light-duty vehicles emit approximately 20 percent of total U.S. CO2 emissions..."
  • Options
    95% of total CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the oceans. Is that counted as "emissions"?

Just posting articles won't cut it. They just print what they are told. The recently hacked emails show that these guys know how to cook the books, shade information, hide information and perform various other "tricks". All the information is suspect now.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Inhofe calls for a Congressional investigation into ClimateGate.

"Today, I will discuss something else – scientific integrity and how to improve it. Specifically, I will discuss the systematic and documented abuse of the scientific process by an international body that claims it provides the most complete and objective scientific assessment in the world on the subject of climate change – the United Nations-sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC. I will conclude with a series of recommendations as to the minimum changes the IPCC must make if it is to restore its credibility."

Senator Inhofe: This is out of a speech that I made, Melanie, back on the floor of the Senate, and it was repeated, John Gizzi picked it up and put it in Human Events. This was 4 years ago, in talking about the science, cooking the science. I said I would discuss the “systematic and documented abuse of the scientific process by which an international body that claims it provides the most complete and objective science assessment in the world on the subject of climate change, the United Nations IPCC.” Now that was four years ago; so we knew they were cooking the science back then, and you’ve been talking about the, you know, what’s happened recently with the bloggers coming up with what they did, what they…

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_i- d=2188feb3-802a-23ad-4de4-3fbc0a92e126&Issue_id
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    check out this argument in favor of electrically-propelled automobiles and "fueling" their electricity with coal-fired electrical production plants.

This article begs to differ: http://dvice.com/archives/2009/07/shift-sorry-cri.php (click my name)
    The article assumes 250 million vehicles would require 600 billion kwh per year. This means
    Quote: " Per the EIA, every kWh generated by a coal plant produces two pounds of carbon dioxide. So 600 billion kWh x 2 lbs of CO2/kWh = 1.2 trillion pounds of CO2. Ouch.
    Still, is that better than gasoline? The EIA says the U.S. consumed 3.3 billion barrels of gasoline in 2008, or 138 billion gallons. The Environmental Protection Agency says one gallon of gas belches out 20 pounds of CO2. That adds up to about 3 trillion pounds of CO2."
    So even at the lousy 3 miles per kwh that is assumed in this article coal powered EV's come out on top almost a factor 3 compared to ICE's in CO2 emissions.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    "...How can lying about your research make you money..."

You are a decent human being who just doesn't understand how grant money is obtained. It is a game in which the biggest liar gets the gold.

A while ago I was reading an article in (I think) Parade magazine which was talking about how researchers were having trouble getting grants to find cures for rare forms of cancer. Almost as an aside, the article mentioned how researchers would have to lie and state that their projects were about breast cancer because that was where the funding was available. The article ignored the fact that the researchers were LYING TO GET MONEY.

It's a short step from lying to get your grants to lying about your results to keep the grants coming.

We even had a term for these kind of people back in graduate school--GRANT WHORES.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    how close to being an attention whore is being a grant whore?

Talkin' same ballparks, here? :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    We even had a term for these kind of people back in graduate school--GRANT WHORES.

I have a good friend that is a marine biologist. She was part of the group that count the Bowhead Whales to determine how many the Eskimos can harvest each year. Her boss was a PHD Grant whore that did little but cook the books and made the bulk of the money. He would use College students to do the research and only pay expenses. Which to a college kid seemed fair. All along he was knocking down an unknown to most huge salary. My friend was getting $25k per year to work in the Arctic as a supervisor. She quit and went to work for Sea World at several times that wage.

I would say that more than half the scientists involved in the GW studies know they are distorting the truth to keep the money flowing. Can anyone Name ONE skeptic scientist that is getting Federal funds for their research? That should say a lot about the integrity of the MM/GW/CC scientists. Why not when they see a US Senator selling her vote on HC for $300,000,000 and bragging about it? We have no room to condemn any other government for corruption.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50 says, "You are a decent human being..."

I mostly object to using such a mundane word as "decent" as an adjective of my human-being-ness. Most people think I'm an OUTSTANDING human being. :)

Anyway, as I have said before - "shady science in the name of funding" must surely occur at times, but just as surely, it must only be delegated to the lowest percentages, not the higher ones.

My guess is that it's the exception rather than the norm.

If not, there would be all kinds of incorrect science being published, and we know that is not the case.
  • Options
    If not, there would be all kinds of incorrect science being published, and we know that is not the case.

Baloney! You have no idea. Just in the medical field there is theory after theory on what sort of drugs to create to cure certain cancers. After many years and billions of dollars of creating and testing theories there is no universal cure. Same thing with MD - a lot of theories over the years; none which are right. Sure medical science makes a little progress here and there, and that is the fact that every year out of the thousands of theories, a handful are right. The fact is most published scientific theories throughout history have been incorrect, and most new ones will be proven to be incorrect.

Go back thru history and look at: the Greeks theory of matter/Fire/Water, the middle-age astronomers theories of a flat Earth and the Earth at the center of the Universe, theories that there was nothing smaller than an atom, theories that there was nothing larger than the Milky Way, Marie Curie running around the lab with radium in her pocket (killed her), and scientists theories up to the 1980's which had no idea on the fact that 80% of the energy and matter in the universe is "dark" and unknown.

The fact is many theories are developed, and every once in a while one will stick - proving to be irrefuteable (at least in a non-quantum evaluation).
This discussion has been closed.