Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• buzzbo99buzzbo99 Posts: 111
    I just called my salesman. He said that he got word the dealership demo model will arrive before mine does. The first one they will receive will be the premium model and I ordered the luxury package. And again he did not know when either are scheduled. I guess I am just a little over anxious because past the time I intended to trade.

By the way I drove an Aztec when they first came out and found it to be a quite well built "tight" automobile. I would comment on the looks but I hate to kick a car when it's down. My wife has driven Buick's for years and never had a lemon. Even though there is nothing new about it like the in-line 6 and air suspension I expect this nice machine and I hope Buick does well with it.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    What did you order??
    I ordered the Luxury package which is the middle of the three levels. I especially wanted the towing package which includes larger radiator, transmission and oil cooler. I ordered the Light Driftwood with Dark Bronzmist bottom accent and Dark Oak interior.
    Sounds good. Is this a 4WD version?

Even though I live in a snowy area, I think I will go for a 2WD version. I just don't see any need for 4WD for where I drive.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I live in the South where it almost never snows and very rarely go off pavement. But one time a few years ago I rented a Dodge van in Colorado and it had 4 wheel drive. I was impressed with the handling and "surefootedness" of the vehicle. I actually do not know if it is the fact of 4 wheel drive or the added bottom weight. I wanted the CXL and it only comes with Versatrak so I thought I would give it a try. Granted if Versatrak were an option I would not have gotten it, but since it is part of the package I am kind of anxious to see what it is like. Also I according to published milage estimates it will cost me 2 miles per gallon, but also touts Versatrak as being light weight. So I am curious whether it will actually take that much extra gas.

Has anyone seen a Rendezvous with cloth interior? I was wondering how the Buick emblem looked. The Aztec "tiger stripe" cloth is a little too much for my taste and I cannot imagine Buick following suit.
  • gmdronegmdrone Posts: 78
    Cloth seats in Rendevous are much more tasteful than Aztek. Leather is actually soft, with firm seats. I got a package in the mail yesterday from Buick inviting me to put in for one of the first 5000 Rendevous being built, for delivery around August the 1st, I believe. Did you ever sign up for the information from their web site? One of my customers (outside the car biz) had the same package in his office the other day. He signed up for the info about a year ago, as did I. We've both been getting mailings about every 2-3 months.

Seats have the Buick Tri-shield embroidered in the middle of the backrests. You don't like the tutti-frutti cloth in the Aztek? I don't either, but it sure hides stains well, you can't see where I spilled my chocolate shake, coffee, etc. I won't have to clean it up when I turn this one over! (just kidding)!!

Regards,

MAK
  • carzzz1carzzz1 Posts: 1
    I just saw the car at the local Auto Show, and both they and my local dealer were talking May/June. Does anyone have any hard info?

Also, has anyone seen any invoice (vs. MSRP) pricing info on the web? No one, including Edmunds, appears to have it yet.
    Any ETA on the Rendezvous hitting showrooms? I will get on the mailing list, not a bad idea.
    I got on the Rendezvous mailing list from the web site a very long time ago and have received the cards and sent back their questionnaires. That is how I got the PIN number to order one. Like you said, the letter said before August if ordered before April 28th. I ordered mine as soon as I got the pin number and I cannot remember when that was. I fugure about 3 weeks ago. Anyway my dealership said they were scheduled to get their first one in April. They have no idea when mine will come in. I am waiting to see if the mailing list is an asset or just a marketing gimmick. Like I said in an earlier post, I am overdue to trade. Otherwise I feel there will be incentives in a few months.

I am also trying to get GMcard to let me know what the redemption allowance is for the vehicle. But have run into a brick wall. If anyone hears anything on that subject, let me know.
    Rendevous is building saleable vehicles, they passed quality gate last week. I'm excited, 'cause this car is building better than Aztek, in pilot we're at half of the predicted defects, I've never seen that before, either at home or abroad. Hang in there, my understanding is that they'll be in showrooms next month!
  • rkuehnrkuehn Posts: 120
    does rendezvous have an interior bike mount available? apparently aztek does but i can't find photos...
    I would expect since Aztek production has gone well, Rendezvous would also. Nice to hear production is under way. My last 2 cars have been from GM and they have both been excellent (1998 Grand Prix SE and a 2000 Intrigue GL). One of the main reason I left Honda was that service sucked. GM is 10x better. The fit and finish isn't quite up to Honda yet, but it's close enuff!
  • Does anybody know if the leather seats all have that same Buick emblem embossed all over the seats?? I saw the Rendevouz at the Milwaukee auto show, but it was up on a pededstal so you couldn't sit in it. I love the car styling, but the seats from a distance looked like they were covered with Polk-a-dots. From reviewing the Buick site I know they are the Buick emblem. I hope this isn't the only seat coverings available. In my opinion they destroy any atmosphere of a luxury interior. Has anybody seen this up close and not laughed?
    The Rendezvous I sat in at the Toronto auto show was all black leather. I don't remember any emblems, but I wansn't really looking either.
    The leather seating in the pictures that Buick sent me had no pattern in them. They looked to have a lighter seat and back contact area and darker trim leather. I also did not care for the emblems on the cloth seats.
    Just saw the data on the pilot cars to date, Rendevous percent out of spec is half of what Aztek was at the same point in the program. My God! I can't believe my own eyes! This is the kind of stuff that my department works on all the time, I've been here for 5years (Dimensional) and we are starting to see results. Please don't tell any body here that we might be making progress! That'll jinx it for sure.

The cloth seats, as I recall, DO have the tri-shield on them, I just can't remember if they are all over them or not. I'm at Pontiac right now, and I'll take a look at the PEP lot on my way out, I'll let you know. Seems to me that you'll have to get leather, though, if you want plain.

No mountian bike rack that I've seen, but I don't ever see dealer installed items!

Regards,

MAK
  • toogtoog Posts: 6
    I was told by my dealer the other day that leather is on hold for now (meaning it's not going to be available right away and that silver is not available, so if any of you preordered silver you'd better look into it. I was also told that only 8500 are going to be produced this first year and with 3500 Buick dealerships, that doesn't leave too many to go around. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be waiting quite a while before they're able to park a Rendezvous in their driveways. Can anyone shed some light on this 8500 number. Is it real or just a scare tactic?
  • rkuehnrkuehn Posts: 120
    Buick guy at Atlant auto show told me official on-sale date is June. Wonder why the delay?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I believe that a fair number of you, like me, are considering the Rendezvous as an alternative to a minivan (my wife REFUSES to consider one). As it happens, I was driving with my wife today and she saw a "nice looking car." When I told her that it was a Mazda MPV, she replied that she would like to go look at it. We went to a local Mazda dealer and she examined an ES model with tan leather interior and she couldn't stop talking about it. She felt it didn't look "too van-like" and the interior was quite luxurious and well put executed.

I am going to place the MPV on my 'short list' as I wait to see the Rendezvous in person, but I am suprised at how closely these two vehicles compete with each other. Some food for thought:

1. Mazda has a good reputation for build quality and reliability, Rendezvous is 1st production year General Motors (albeit based on the 3 year old Chevy Venture platform).
    2. MPV has a weak but smooth 2.5L V6, Rendezvous, with a 3.4L, is stronger (torque and HP) and should be more durable.
    3. MPV fully loaded with leather, wood dash, and moonroof is about $26K. Rendezvous is similarly priced in CX 1SC form but has more content such as tire monitor, compass, thermometer, homelink, etc. (but no leather).
    4. MPV has rear drum brakes and no traction control. Rendezvous has 4 wheel discs + traction control.

I really want the Rendezvous to be nice...I really hope it sweeps me off my feet. We'll see.
    That may be the official date, but I'm sure they will be showing up at dealers long before June.
    8500 vehicles produced sure seems like a small number. Especially if they use some of the unused Aztec capacity. One thing that would make sense to me is that if these are the pre-production numbers. The mail out that Buick sent indicated there would be 5000 units produced for sale before they go on sale to the general public in August. That number added to 3500 dealers would make sense. But my dealer said he would get 2 in April which does not add up. The first time I heard of the Rendezvous a long time ago the date was said to be April. Who knows.

By the way. In an earlier post I said I ordered the Luxury package. When I looked back I noticed I was wrong again. I ordered the Premium Versatility package.
  • fdogsfdogs Posts: 9
    Not to advertise for a competitive site...but kbb.com has the list and invoice pricing posted now for the 2002 Rendezvous.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Yeah, sure, but what's the True Market Value gonna be? .

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I received a die cast model of the Rendezvous in the mail today from Buick. Of course there was a card with it I could put names and addresses of people they could write to and send it back. Anyway I was surprised to get the mode. It seems like I remember the car company used to make the models for customers and dealerships. I think I will call my dealership and see if I got one before they did. Of course there was no indication of when the real thing would arrive.
    That is very cool. How big is the model?
    The model is 3" X 7.5" and is black with gray interior. The front doors and rear hatch open with the flip up third seat in back. It even has rubber tires and if they are to scale, they are wide enough to give it a more sport utility look than a van.
  • toogtoog Posts: 6
    I saw a Rendezvous at the Ft. Lauderdale Auto Show this past weekend and was very impressed. Unfortunately,I could only look at it as it was a prototype and they didn't allow anyone to sit in it. It was black with real nice soft looking grey leather (no Buick insignias), sunroof and third seat. The access to the third seat looks good, in some of the SUV's there's hardly enough room to get in, like the Lincoln Navigator which is about $50K. The whole profile looks real nice, very similar to a Lexus RX300. As someone stated in an earlier message the base price for the CX is around $25,550 and the CXL I think the Buick rep said starts at around $28K. Moonroof is about $650 and third seat on CX is about $750. One of local dealers said they're getting 2 or 3 in June, 7 or 8 in July and 15 in August. The Buick rep told me the factory has the capability to build about 80,000/year.
    Strange how they only had a prototype. The Toronto show had a Rendezvous you could sit in. I was pleasantly surprised!
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known… is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards