Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Julia,
    I can take your CR-V off your hands for you. I'd be happy to in fact.
    Elissa
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Ok, I'm speaking again.

I love my CR-V - it seems near perfect to me and I hope to continue to feel that way for a long time.
  • Options
    robr, you are a very nice son to buy your Dad new Avids.
  • Options
    vifferviffer Member Posts: 21
    Why not consider an 05. The new model has numerous upgrades in both safety and appearance.
    The 04 will very soon be considered a year old vehicle and have a market value of thousands less. Purchasing an 04 would be OK with a 2-3K price reduction.
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Actually not thousands less as the resale is phenomenal. Dealers sell used ones for near what they sell new ones. Sure you can find a better deal but typically not much of a break at least for a one year old. Another reason to buy new IMO.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    There are pros and cons to buying the outgoing model. We really can't say that going one way is better than another.

The '04 will obviously have a lower price tag, which is a nice. A bargain shopper would be well advised to buy one if they plan to drive it into the ground.

However, in addition to the numerous upgrades, the '05 will also be worth more if the buyer tries to sell it, or if it gets totaled in an accident. Of course, you have to pay extra for the '05 up front.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    r, you are a very nice son to buy your Dad new Avids.

Are you saying that because I'm buying him tires to replace the Bridgestones or for buying him tires in general? In any case, thank you.

Actually, my brother doesn't know it yet but he's buying him a couple of these tires as well!!

Besides what do you buy for a man whose only request is peace and joy throughout the world. Not exactly within my capabilities.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I agree.. another design for the rear door might be better.. but, then where would the spare tire go?

I think, considering the size of the vehicle, that the trade-offs in moving the spare tire would negate any advantage of a different door design..

I wouldn't want to trade less cargo space for a swing up tailgate.. Doesn't Toyota have the same design on the Rav4?

I think Honda thinks this is the best design, considering the trade-offs.. not just keeping it the same way, because it is selling.. The gen I CR-V was a bad design, I think... and they fixed it with the Gen II.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    "NVH - the CRV is much quieter than my Accord and has a better ride"

If so, then only means Accord has high road noise than Camry, Corolla, ...... etc. many more other brand/models. Probably it is equivalent to Mazda Protege in terms of road noise. Then I believe many people would not agree that.

If your Dad's CR-V is REALLY quite, then what isellhonda said all CR-V performs the SAME is false. The performance of CR-V between Car to car IS different. Therefore, all of you do not need to accuse other people if they post CR-V has high road noise. Because you are NOT drive the SAME CR-V.
  • Options
    When I post the drawback of back door design on CR-V. I SAID if you can think of advantage of swing side over the bottom up, please post. And what I said is the FACT.

Instead of post "advantage of swing back door", you and others just accuse me "Buyer's Remorse" or continue complaint about CR-V. Why don’t post some real FACT on the back door design.

Are your views/posts objective and trustable? LOL.

You just afraid of potential buyers may see these post regards road noise, engine fire, or some not good design on CR-V turn them away from CR-V.

Whether I should sell CR-V, it is NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS. So stop these insulting. I just speak of the true performance of my CR-V.
  • Options
    "FACT" what fact? Everything you've posted is your sour grapes regarding a purchase you didn't do your research on.

"NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS" It is when all you do is come here and post about your disatisfaction with a vehicle most here own. You don't like the suggestions, STOP POSTING.
  • Options
    Santa Fe has FULL size spare under the same area of so called the "donut area" on CR-V. CR-V does has space there should be enough to hold the tire if Honda modify it.
  • Options
    Then buy a Santa Fe for god sakes. Stop telling us all the things you hate about the vehicle already. I think we get the idea. Get rid of it if you have the design, hate how it makes noise when it cools down, hate this, hate that.

It is your OPINION that the back door design isn't correct. Just like it is others OPINION that it is fine. No FACTS involved.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I enjoy a good back and forth "conversation" and a bit of a debate from time to time but when posters get combative or hostile, I back off.

Julia, I do wish you well!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    steve_ Sep 16, 2004 2:23pm

Please don't tell people to stop posting - we can handle pro and con posts just fine. If you don't want to read someone's posts, use your down arrow.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I really don't want anyone to be uncomfortable with my posts. So I will stop and let this person continue to dig themselves a hole.

However, the Hosts allow a person to post their disatisfaction. Allowing those who want to rebut seems only fair.

All I know is if it were me and I was this unhappy with a vehicle I'd move on. If I told the world I was unhappy with it once I wouldn't keep doing it, I'd move on. Someone can't seem to do that and that's a shame. It's a car. There are more important things to be miserable about.
  • Options
    Pros and cons are fine. What about the person who states it's a FACT when it is their opinon? What about the person who yells "NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS? I guess that's allowed.
  • Options
    The post was seeking reasons (facts if you will) why Honda made the CR-V back door swing the way it does for North America when at first brush one would think it would swing away from the curb in countries where people drive on the right side of the road.

57,000 posts in I don't like SUVs, why do you? notwithstanding, I don't think it is anyone's business what someone else drives.

Again, we're discussing cars here, not each other.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve: I agree.. we are here to discuss cars..

It just seems strange that certain people are allowed to question our motivations for our posts and also our truthfulness and veracity, yet those posts are allowed to remain.. I thought character assassination was not allowed?

Two examples from just the past day. There are many more if you care to page back a week or so.

"Are your views/posts objective and trustable? LOL."

"By the way, now I know you are selling Honda. So I question what you were telling truth in your posts on the price board or trying to fool newcomers"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    What I said:
    Three drawbacks on this design compare to conventional bottom up door open:
    (1) rain into cargo –FACT
    (2) rain on you when you load or organize the stuff in cargo area (swing up door covers most of you) - FACT
    (3) your right side view is blocked by the door. So you do not know whether there is car or cart, or person approach you – FACT. (in worse case, you could be attacked after dark by bad peoples without seeing them approach you. A potential safety issue in some high crime area) – THIS IS MY OPINION

What you said:
    It is your OPINION that the back door design isn't correct. Just like it is others OPINION that it is fine. No FACTS involved.

================================================
    It is idiotic if someone can’t differentiate the FACT and OPINON. You may need your teacher re-educate you the definition between these two words (before criticize people).

I do believe we should focus and discuss on the car on the pro and con.
  • Options
    kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    that I would not take Santa Fe even for free.
    Good luck Julia... .
    Speaking of the swinging door, I agree that after my van Up-lifting door I felt uncomfortable for a while. But very quickly I got used to it and even recognized the convenience of a swinging door: It is much quicker to access and much easier to unload in my garage. You do not have to open the door all the way. Option of opening a glass alone is also very convenient. I load/unload my car in the garage much more often then on curb side.
    I prefer to have a extra space (for tools ,etc) in the spare tire hole then having a tire there. Spare tire on the back door does not bother me at all.
    There is not such thing as an ideal "universal" car. There is no such thing as an "ideal man/woman" too. :-). What some people like - others don't. So, "shop around" before you marry and don't complain afterwards. :-)
  • Options
    "It is idiotic if someone can’t differentiate the FACT and OPINON. You may need your teacher re-educate you the definition between these two words (before criticize people)."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This is a fair discussion.
    I agree that extra space in the spare tire hole is nice. So it is trade-off. Some people may like more space. Some people may not like the tire hang outside. This subjects to people's preference.
  • Options
    I know Julia is not going to be happy with the results, but since she asked...

"I SAID if you can think of advantage of swing side over the bottom up, please post."

1. I can open the window and retrieve items from the cargo area without allowing my greyhounds to run 40 mph into the street. The opening also allows them to get plenty of air on hot days if I have to make a quick stop.

2. The design allows for easy access to the spare. I do not have to empty everything from the back of the vehicle onto the side of the highway in order to get at a replacement tire. Nor do I have to crawl in the dirt under the car, as some are required with the under-mount design.

3. The tire is a full-size spare. It is not a silly little donut, which cannot be used when off-roading and towing. I can drive on it for years, rather than only far enough to get me to a service station.

4. It looks good.

5. Mounting the spare on the back leaves a very useful space under the cargo floor where I can store wet items, food I'd rather my dogs did not get into, and items I'd like to remove from the sight of thieves. It's a great place for an aftermarket sub woof, too.

6. With it hinged on the right, the door opens downhill on a crowned road. Were it hinged on the other side, gravity would pull it closed.

7. I come very close to hitting my head on most raised gates.

8. With the separate window I can tote long items, such as lumber. Or I can have the handle on a lawnmower or stroller poke out the back.

9. The right-side hinge means I don't have to walk all the way around the door after getting out of the car.

10. I don't have to remove long items from the roof rack in order to get into the cargo area. I've watched many accidents with lift gates and roof racks. One Tribute driver bent her ski poles when she opened the lift gate up and into contact with them. I've witnessed several close calls with ski equipment, mostly risking gouges in the rear glass. I've also watched a hasty van owner scrape up his rear door when he lifted the gate into the ladder he'd just purchased at Home Depot.

I figure that about does it, for now.
  • Options
    These reasons are all fair and good. Especially the 6 and 10.

Though Santa Fe and other makers also have window pop up. If you have cargo cover, then using pop window may not be convenient.
  • Options
    4. It looks good.
    Exactly!
    IMO it's looks much better on the right side than on center/left side. On the left/center side it would also block the rear view. It is closer to hinges on the left too. Less lever distance. Otherwise hinges must be stronger.

Right swing door gives you more "privacy" from the curb, and you always may unload things on the road, then close the door, pick them up and off you go... .
  • Options
    It just seems strange that certain people are allowed to question our motivations

Yeah, I know we give Isell way too much slack when he finds someone's great deal on a new CR-V unbelievable and let's us all know there's some nefarious motive behind the post :-).

Town Hall is pretty neat - the community pretty much polices itself . Occasionally a host will step in to get the topic back on track or to remind people that opposing points of view are welcome, but mostly we just get to enjoy reading the threads and plugging some editorial content now and then while doing some light housekeeping behind the scenes.

Instead of doing all this he said-she said, wouldn't you rather be in Paris?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    "Yeah, I know we give Isell way too much slack when he finds someone's great deal on a new CR-V unbelievable and let's us all know there's some nefarious motive behind the post :-)."

Well, that is amusing, and I get your point...

But, if I point that out to Isell (and I have), he doesn't then impugn my character and tell me that I'm idiotic, or that I have some ulterior motive for believing those posts... (at least not in print or out loud where I can hear him).

So..... take me to Paris, and I'll forget all about it.. and just be glad that I haven't learned to use italics...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    .. and just be glad that I haven't learned to use italics...

Start the part you want italized with < i> (leave out the space) and end with < /i> (again leave out the space.

IE:

< i>italicize this< /i>
  • Options
    italicize this

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I guess this is html stuff, huh?

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can create italics by placing the tags <i> and </i> around the <i>text you want italicized</i>.You can create bold by placing the tags <b> and </b> around the <b>text you want bolded</b>.
  • Options
    OKAY, I think I have it now.

thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    How about bold italics?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm impressed - WTG! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    go look again.. woo hooooooooo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I haven't been this excited since varmint told me I had a factory strut bar on my '02 CR-V.. (I had to go look).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    TWO REQUESTS....

FIRST
    A reporter is interested in speaking with someone from the Southern California area who has had a problem with a Honda CR-V fire. If you would be interested in sharing your experience with this reporter, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number. Thank you.

SECOND
    A reporter is interested in speaking with a mechanic who has experience with Honda CR-Vs and the fire issue. If you are from the Southern California area and would be interested in speaking with a reporter about this, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number. Thank you.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    many vehicles with top hinged hatches have a seperately mounted spare tire carrier. i don't think that's the best arrangement either.
    one thing i don't like about the side swing gate is i can picture one of the kids opening it, having it close on them. it probably has a detent to help keep it open, but i kids have away of not being to careful about stuff like that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    6: overhead hinged door, crown does not matter.

7: overhead hinged door: bad design or you are really tall.

8: window open seperatly, this is the standard, if not a feature, then it is a bad design.

9: overhead door: same from either side.

10: most vehicles with cross bars have a fore/aft adjustment. you just have to use them.

11: someone parks behind you. unless they have a boat prow front end, you can still open the overhead hatch all the way. of course, you can always move the vehicle, no matter which style.
  • Options
    "one thing i don't like about the side swing gate is i can picture one of the kids opening it, having it close on them."

Which is worse than having the gate close on them from above?
  • Options
    i'll have to tell the kids to watch out for helicoptors above them that might blow the hatch down on them :)
  • Options
    refereeeguyrefereeeguy Member Posts: 2
    LOL LOL LOL!!!

Refereeguy
  • Options
    hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    Personally, I find isellhondas posts to be fair and truthful.

And so do I. I mean, really, what makes him more "biased" than anybody else who owns a CRV? Yes, he sells them... but not to EVERYBODY in the U.S., just those who live in the Seattle area. If we were all capable of buying CRVs from him in Seattle, I can see where there would be reason to believe that he is biased and could be feeding everyone lies to boost his sales. However, since that is not even remotely possible, it is obviously not the case. In that sense, he should be viewed as just another happy CRV owner.

In terms of what he paid for his CRV, why would he lie about that? Prices vary so much from state to state and city to city, that it doesn't matter what he paid for it unless, AGAIN, you live in the Seattle area.

I paid $22,300 for my CRV, which is also well over invoice. I was buying with an "employee discount" or however you may choose to look at it because I have a family friend who is an Acura dealer and he had friends at the Honda dealership who cut me a "good deal." In this area, it is what my Acura friend or any other Honda employee would have paid for the car.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see how much I could have saved had I been able to buy in other areas, but I live in upstate NY and the market is what it is.

All I'm saying is that just because he is a Honda employee doesn't mean that isellhondas would have been given a deal that was well below invoice. If you were given a deal below invoice, you should feel very lucky.
  • Options
    The performance of CR-V between Car to car IS different. Therefore, all of you do not need to accuse other people if they post CR-V has high road noise. Because you are NOT drive the SAME CR-V.

Wow, I can't believe you. He wasn't even responding to you, he was just listing out a list of pros that he noticed since driving his dad's CRV. He didn't "ACCUSE" you (or anyone else) of anything. And what you have to take into consideration here is that people's standards of what is noisy and what is not are DIFFERENT. EVERYONE is different. isellhondas says that road noise is the same on all CRVs, which is probably true... the difference is in the user, not in the product.

I am not bothered by the road noise in the CRV, therefore I do not consider the road noise to be high or loud. A lot of people feel that way. Then there are also people who do feel that it is noisy and are bothered by it (like you). That's fine, but it's a difference in opinion... not in the vehicle itself.
  • Options
    You just afraid of potential buyers may see these post regards road noise, engine fire, or some not good design on CR-V turn them away from CR-V.

I just can't keep my mouth shut today. You're making me crazy.

Now, can I ask... what in the heck do we get out of not turning people away from the CRV?

Are we going to get some kind of royalties for Hondas sales??? NO!

You are so totally out of line that it's funny.

When I post the drawback of back door design on CR-V. I SAID if you can think of advantage of swing side over the bottom up, please post. And what I said is the FACT.

What exactly were you looking for? This doesn't make any sense. You asked people for advantages of having the door swing to side and people gave their opinions about why they like it and why it's an advantage for them. You're asking for FACT? Well, people gave that to you by saying that if it were a swing-up door, the tire could not be mounted onto the back because of the weight. Therefore, the spare would have to be moved inside of the car and it would compromise cargo space. What part of that don't you understand as fact?

Again, you need to understand what an OPINION is. An advantage is not a fact, it's an opinion. Advantages of the CRV for me -- amount of cargo space, gas mileage, sitting up high, etc. But not all people are going to view those as advantages.
  • Options
    It might be a fact that rain comes into the cargo area and it might be a fact that CRV drivers will get rained on when loading stuff into the cargo area, but it is not a FACT that this is necessarily a drawback. If one has an umbrella, it isn't a drawback. If one is able to load cargo quickly, it isn't a drawback. If one doesn't mind being rained on, it isn't a drawback.

It is idiotic if someone can&#146;t differentiate the FACT and OPINON. You may need your teacher re-educate you the definition between these two words

Funny how you are trying to teach people the difference when you don't seem to know it yourself. Advantages, disadvtanges, pros, cons, drawbacks... they are all opinions, so you should really stop seeking FACT.
  • Options
    When 2003/2004 CR-V engine fires, and the cause is still unkown after so many months and so many fire cases, Honda means Hiding Ongoing Non-solvable Defects Automaker.
  • Options
    Hey Julia, are you acting alone or are you part of a larger plot? :-)
  • Options
    is this a duplicate post from the CR-V forum designated for discussing the fire issues?