Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Yes, did somebody call me? I'm a bit behind in this particular discussion but it seems we're all arguing with Julia and talking about italics. To catch up on an old post...

We are delighted with our CR-V. We have a 2004 Night[somethingorother] Black automatic transmission EX with moonroof visor. Just got 26 MPG on a recent highway trip. We can fit the dog in kennel, four adults, see perfectly out the rear and drive forever. If I were to get a flat, access to the spare is easy. Storage is deep and thus, the dog kennel doesn't impare rear visibility. Seats are comfortable. Radio sounds great. Handling is better than most SUV's. Ride/road noise is imperceptible to me (although I'm used to the roar of a turbo). Personally, I'm partial to my Subaru Forester XT but do like my husband's CR-V for long drives over 4 hours - for some reason it's easier on my back.

So, silent majority? I'm at least one. And I think there are something in the order of a couple million others out there since the CR-V's inception. Notice, I used the work THINK. I'm not trying to assert as fact something I don't have statistics on, so please no one flame me on that! LOL ;-)

Elissa
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    The automobile odyssey I've been on! Thankfully, it ended today with my choice of a white CR-V LX with side airbags. I'm so delighted with it. Surprised how peppy it is (in city traffic) and how manueverable when flipping a U-turn in an apartment complex.

My Huntsville, AL salesman, Dwight, made this as easy a deal as I've ever done. We spent more time talking about our kids waiting on my wife to drive down from work to sign the paperwork. The whole thing was like buying a Saturn--except I end up with a nice machine.

Can't believe how big the CR-V is, that is, from the outside. I'm used to Civics and Accords.

I enjoy the smooth transmission and relative quiet. We have blacktop except for bridge surfaces, which seem like plain concrete. The tires make a bit of a rumble on the concrete, but otherwise, the vehicle seems as quiet as my '99 Accord.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No names of salespeople or contact info on the boards please (per the Rules of the Road link above).

Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well, remove the name or the post, Host.

Turns out the deal went along too smoothly. I forgot to ask about remote entry. I see that you can buy a remote online for $82.50. But can you program it yourself or is that something that the dealer must do because they have the magical black box that controls all such devices?
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Virtually all Honda brand accessories come with installation instructions, and the kit to add remote keyless entry to the LX is no exception. This is a very simple job for someone who is even slightly mechanically inclined, and the programming instructions are straightforward.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    But can you program it yourself or is that something that the dealer must do because they have the magical black box that controls all such devices?

H and A-Accessories (see the link at the top of the page) sells the Keyless Remote Entry, and also has links to the installation and programming instructions (in Acrobat PDF format).

:)
  • Options
    My dealer's parts dept. said that since the CR-V LX doesn't come with the security-remote system, that would have to be added before the remotes could be used. It sounds like it takes more than simply purchasing a remote and getting it (and/or the car) programmed to accept it.

Does it sound like there's more involved than simply the remote key fob and some programming?
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Take the racoon's advice and read the pdf instructions :-) you''ll see what's involved. Basically, the kit consists of the remote fobs plus the receiver unit, which just plugs into an existing wiring harness socket. You'll have to remove the storage pocket to access the socket and plug in the receiver. Your dealer is blowing smoke about the security system - the remote for the locks is independent of the alarm.
  • Options
    Got to admit that having an automatic transmission is nice--sedate driving in the long lines at the four-way stops, school drop-off lines, etc. Only problem: I tend to grab the windshield wiper control stalk and yank it to get out of Park. At least the windshield is very clean.

It's interesting that the CR-V rides so well. My '01 Civic was bumpy. This is not. It's smoother than my traded-in '99 Accord. The tires make some noise on different road surfaces, but that's not bothersome. The engine seems fairly quiet--I'm not gunning it during break-in but it seems like a refined powertrain.

I'm dreading the upcoming weekend. I'll have to put a mtn. bike or two inside. I'm sure there'll be a scratch or two by Monday morning. That's life with the CR-V, right?
  • Options
    Thanks. I downloaded the PDF and viewed the HTML instructions for programming the remote. The PDF makes it look relatively simple. Except for the clips holding the storage box in. Are clips easy to work with? Can you break 'em?

I upgrade my Macs so I've learned to be slow and deliberate.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Congrats on your new V. well, it might get dirty from the bikes, but did you take a look at the new interior colors for the 2005? The ivory interior is nice to look at but I'm not sure how clean I'd be able to keep it. bike grease would show right away in that one!
  • Options
    You know, the upholstery in the '04 models was a sore point and as a result, I turned down seriously considering the CR-V. I think I saw the Saddle on an LX on a bad day--the pattern reminded me of chip board up at Lowes. Add to that the corduroy lines and it seemed like a grave sin on the part of Honda.

But I kept returning to the CR-V and looking at it or test-driving it. Eventually, I became ambivalent to the cloth. My white LX has the black cloth and I'm beginning to find its pattern subdued and evocative of a nice warm Pendleton blanket.

Anyway, the it drives really smoothly. The suspension seems well-tuned to roads of average disrepair. My Accord was a bit jarring on the same roads--not bad, but the CR-V seems to smooth things. And I don't miss the Accord's 5-speed...yet.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, I don't often get into VTEC territory (> 4000 RPMs), but last night I was going uphill on the interstate and this dumb, er, uninformed Ford Expedition was slowly accelerating. So I let the CR-V loose and wound it up to 4400 RPMs. Boy, that engine will keep on pulling at the right RPMs. Before long that Expedition was only a distant headlight. What a blast!

I suspect my MPG may be a bit lower next tank...
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Steve,
    You can always pick up some nice custom made seat covers to cover up that fabric from greatcovers.com, gt-covers.com or their store on eBay for $30-$99 per pair if you call and say you're an eBay customers. Dealers sell the same covers for $160. I just got covers for my '86 civic seats and I'm pretty happy with them . -elissa
  • Options
    Oh, good suggestion, elissa. I should've guessed that there would be a market for seat covers that could be handled over the internet. It's great to have the freedom to customize.
  • Options
    cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Just about everyone reading this forum is a CR-V owner or is seriously considering buying one. I have a CR-V I am seriously thinking of selling, and so my question is, what is/was your second choice?

We were looking for something small, yet with enough room in the back (with the back seats folded up) to put a couple of large crates (for dogs); something for on-road rather than off-road driving (we could probably do just fine with FWD rather than AWD); some "extras" like a moonroof and a CD changer; safety - ABS, good crash test results, etc.; and good quality.

For a couple of reasons ... primarily the fires but also that the front seats are still literally a pain in the back for me (something that didn't show up during a long test drive) and that I have not been able to remedy with commercial seat inserts or homemade cushions ... I don't think we want to keep the CR-V. Frankly, and despite months of research, it's been a disappointment.

So, is there a clear #2 among CR-V enthusiasts? If they stopped making CR-Vs tomorrow, what would you turn to in the small SUV category? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    My choices in no particular order are the Ford Escape and Toyota RAV4. I would prefer the Mazda Tribute over it's cousin the Escape simply because I like the styling and available colors better, but there isn't a Mazda dealer close to me. I haven't done enough research on either though to provide any details.
  • Options
    refereeguyrefereeguy Member Posts: 20
    RAV-4 was too small for my tastes, and with 18 miles on the odometer my test drive unit was full of squeaks and rattles (well documented on RAV-4 townhall), also they are very expensive when comparing option for option with CR-V.

Highlander is nice. Not quite as fun to drive as my 5spd V and $5-$7 more expensive. This was actually my third choice.

Matrix/Vibe, sport models not available in 5 spd, low seating height, not as roomy as V, otherwise they could have been an option for me.

Escape, poor resale, poor fuel economy unless you step up to the hybrid.

Liberty, price, roominess, fuel economy, and ride quality all take a back seat to the V.

X-terra, high price, poor fuel economy, rough ride, and lack of roominess took it off my list, ditto for the Sonata and Santa Fe (plus resale value), VUE is ugly and cheap feeling.

I did a lot of homework before buying my V. For the money nothing compares to it in my opinion.

If I had to buy something else my second choice would have been.......a Pilot.

For your money the Pilot is a very good buy and it also brings good fuel economy to the table considering its size. Resale value is outstanding and the V's oil change problems not withstanding (actually technicians inability to do the job correctly) the Pilot gives the owner legendary Honda quality.

Good luck.

Refereeguy
  • Options
    I chose between the Scion xB and the CR-V. The xB has a pretty spacious interior considering its exterior size. The cargo area was large enough for many tasks I could imagine for it. I accepted that it would be more of a 4-passenger vehicle due to the narrow backseat (compared with the CR-V and others).

The xB has a 108 hp engine that strains a bit around town going up inclines. However, it gets good gas mileage.

Beside the lack of horsepower, my biggest concern was the crumple zone in the back. Not a lot of room between the rear bumper and rear seats.
  • Options
    Here's a different kind of suggestion: strengthen your back muscles doing simple stretches for 10 minutes each day. I had an '01 Civic that left me with a sharp lower-back pain in typical day-to-day driving. Switching to an Accord improved it considerable.

However, I discovered after falling off a ladder and breaking my kids' swing (two separate accidents), that I had a more long-term problem: lower-back disks wear. The physical therapy introduced me to daily stretching and muscle toning exercises that have helped eliminate driving pain, fatigue, and allows me to lift all the heavy mulch bags for which my wife bought me the CR-V.

Seriously, if it's economically better to keep the CR-V, try some back exercises. Lots of books in the health section of a bookstore.
  • Options
    Thanks - I appreciate your suggestions re: lower back pain. I have a set of exercises from our family doctor ... in truth, I need to be better about doing them on a regular basis. I have also started chiropractic care, and it seems to be helping.
  • Options
    Yep, I know it's easy to miss doing the exercises. I have to sugar-coat the experience, throwing on music, the TV, anything to distract me from the boredom of doing various stretches.

I find they help a lot of situations, like sitting at the computer, picking up around the house, and driving (actually, not driving as much as standing up after getting out of the car).

I don't mean to discourage you from finding a better fit, but in some cases, it creates a financial drain to jump from one car to another. Good luck!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I have a '99 CR-V so mine is a little different. I have heard that it takes a fairly firm pull to get the center storage pocket out. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a clip doing this, but I think I remember someone lost a clip when it popped off and they couldn't find it. Slow and deliberate works well.

:)
  • Options
    Some comparision topics fyi:

Honda CRV vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Honda CR-V vs Saturn VUE

Honda CR-V vs Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe

Subaru Forester vs Honda CR-V

and the biggie:

CR-V vs Escape

More in the archives (X-Trail, Sorento, Highlander, etc.)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, be careful not to jump from the fire to the frying pan. I've had people trade cars in on CRV's because they found the CRV seats to be more comfortable than what they were driving!

Your back pain may actually increase with another make. As someone else mentioned, the Pilots are extremely comfortable.

As far as the fires go, that is such a remote possiblilty it's not even worth thinking about.

And, yes, my much loved wife drives a 2003 EX.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Much loved? That doesn't sound good... LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I was going to make a crack about his EX wife, but thought better of it :-)

"Honda says it is showcasing a diesel-powered ... CR-V sport-utility vehicle" at the Paris Auto Show. link (Platinum Today)

Only for the European market naturally. For now anyway.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    refereeguyrefereeguy Member Posts: 20
    The word on the CR-V diesel is that it does 49MPG on the highway.

The sooner it gets here the better.

Honda would sell a boat load of them, especially as gas prices get closer to $3 per gallon.

Refereeguy
  • Options
    In '06 or '07.. I think you will see many more diesels coming...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yeah, I hear you - I don't want to go from one uncomfortable situation to another, even more uncomfortable situation! OTOH, the CR-V is the first vehicle I've ever owned or ridden in that has caused me this pain. But you can bet, I will take the next vehicle out for several test drives!

I like the Pilot a lot, but we're really sold on a small SUV. My wife drives the CR-V far more that I do - based partly on the seats but mostly on the fact that she REALLY likes the size and visibility. So I'm really looking at a small SUV.

About the fires ... well, my first oil change at the dealer ended up with a double-gasket, so I find it impossible not to think about the "remote possibility" - my head says the odds are in my favor, but my heart says, damn, it almost happened to me already - why push my luck?

After a couple of weeks of looking around, I'm attracted to the Escape Hybrid (looks nice, but it's pricey) and the Mazda Tribute ... but I'm nowhere near settled on anything. Maybe by the end of the year?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    FYI. The brand of VTEC used in the CR-V kicks in around 2,000 rpms. It merely opens the 4th valve on the cylinder head to create a better swirl pattern for the fuel. Other Honda designs have called this VTEC-E. Though the VTEC-E designs did not incorporate VTC as the CR-V does.
  • Options
    Hit 100,000 miles on the odo driving home from New Hampshire this past Tuesday. So far, the only mechanical failure I've had is one that I caused myself. Not too shabby for a 5 year old car.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a pretty good pace, 20k/year.

You need a 2nd car like I have. When are you gonna buy that used S2000?

With 2 cars you could probably milk another 5 years out of your CR-V.

FWIW, the Escape tipped up in the new rollover tests. They should widen the track or something. At least the hybrid should have a lower center of gravity with the batteries mounted low in the body.

-juice
  • Options
    "FYI. The brand of VTEC used in the CR-V kicks in around 2,000 rpms. It merely opens the 4th valve on the cylinder head to create a better swirl pattern for the fuel. Other Honda designs have called this VTEC-E. Though the VTEC-E designs did not incorporate VTC as the CR-V does."

Hmmm, I had thought that it was variable, i.e., changed as the RPMs increased.
  • Options
    Cybernut-

I shopped the Subaru Forester as well. If it had a larger back seat, I might have bought it.

The Chevy Equinox / Saturn Vue (actually drove this one) were pretty good driving for me, but I worried about reliability.

Escape is a nice driving vehicle as well.
  • Options
    If it isn't the VTEC, then it must be the sweet spot on the torque/horsepower curve.. Starting in the low 4000 RPMS, mine feels like it has a turbo kicking in, all the way up to 6K RPMs.. Mostly, I only get that on freeway on-ramps.. but, I like it!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Isn't there a 2nd switch on the cams at something like 5000rpm?

I remember feeling a 2nd kick on the test drive, but at very high rpm.

-juice
  • Options
    If I had to narrow it down, I'd say right around 4200-4300 RPM... I'll see on the way home tonight... It is a very noticeable increase in the rate of acceleration.. I have an '02.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Here's a decent link with information on each type of VTEC. Scroll down for the section on VTEC-E.

The design in the CR-V does "change-over" at a certain RPM. It changes from using one intake valve to using two intake valves somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms.

Using only one intake valve at low rpm operation allows the engine to burn very lean. The air coming into the combustion chamber swirls more than normal because of the uneven path into that space. This extra swirl allows the fuel and air to mix more completely and evenly within that space. The overall result is greater efficiency and cleaner emissions.

When the engine reaches higher rpms, it changes over to using both intake valves. Higher rpms require that the engine breathe faster. By opening both intake valves, the engine gets a greater amount air into the combustion chamber at a faster pace, thus providing more power.

The other technology used in the CR-V's K24 engine is called VTC. This may be what you are feeling at higher rpms. Here's is an article with a decent description of VTC.

VTC allows the intake and exhaust valves to overlap. Normally, the intake valves will not open until the exhaust valves are completely closed. This makes for a nice smooth engine.

However, when you get to the higher rpms, the amount of time the engine can breathe gets shorter and shorter. As the pistons move faster there is less time to gasp for breath. With VTC, the intake valves start to open before the exhaust valves have closed all the way. This allows the engine to start sucking in air sooner, and thus get more air.

If Honda allowed this overlap to happen at low rpms, the engine would run very rough. So they don't. VTC allows the engine to have its cake and eat it, too. It doesn't overlap at low rpms, but it does at the high end.
  • Options
    Interesting.. but isn't it VCT, instead of VTC?

Variable Camshaft Timing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Varmint-
    Where did you get the information that I-VTEC kicks in at 2000 RPM on the CR-V? Or did I miss it in the two articles?
  • Options
  • Options
    Ahhh.. thanks.. I like that link better.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I don't know exactly when the second valve opens in the CR-V's engine. This functionality is better documented with the Insight. I believe the Insight was the first vehicle to use VTEC-E.

http://www.plugitin.co.uk/insight.htm

(Scroll down and click on the VTEC-E link at the very bottom.)

According to what I've read about the Insight, the second intake valve opens between 2,500 and 3,200 rpms. Exactly when depends on throttle position, engine load, air-to-fuel ration, and other factors listed on that link.

My estimate for the CR-V of between 2,000 and 3,000 is based on what I know of the Insight and also the weight, cruising rpms, and other characteristics for the CR-V.
  • Options
    Insight is tuned for the IMA, plus the vastly smaller engine size vs the 2.4L (and the torque) makes it a wide open question. Anybody have a definitive link?
  • Options
    Nope. I've never found one. But it makes no sense for the second valve to open any later than 3,000 rpms. I suppose it could be even lower, but the CR-V's gearing (it revs high) suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    You may like to test drive the Santa Fe. I was on rental for one month on 2.7l GLS AWD). I was very amazed about how smooth the ride was. It has slightly low MPG ~18. But the price is lower than CR-V even if you add option of 6 CD changer, sunroof.
  • Options
    SF's reliability is up now, too.

If Hyundai can get weight down they'll really be a contender. Right now they are heavy (iron blocks, for instance).

Tucson is arriving but that's smaller.

-juice
  • Options
    trilliumsteve2trilliumsteve2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a bike rack exactly like the one shown that attaches to my spare. It works well and is quite convenient to use. I use it with three bikes, although I have not travelled any great distance with them. You can leave the back plate on permanently, meaning that you only have to take the spare off once to install the rack. I cannot remember the brand name off the top of my head, but I bought it at Mountain Equipment Coop in Ottawa Ontario, and I think it was about CAN$150.00
  • Options
    juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    Because Santa Fe is heavier as juice mentioned. Somehow, it seems more stable when you drive it. Also the driver seat has lumbar support which I felt the seat is more comfortable.
    I use a cushion now on CR-V but only helps a little bit.