Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jayorionjayorion Posts: 18
    I sure do remember Jan & Dean. My neighbor claims to have dated one of them.
    How 'bout Flo & Eddie?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Living with your folks sounds much better than someone I knew a few years ago. She was on an ice hockey team with me and was financing her pre-med college by topless dancing. Only had to work one night a week to make as much as I did in 4 full days...

jayorion - Off hand I don't remember Flo & Eddie (but sounds familiar) - I think I'm lucky to remember Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys (I always liked Jan & Dean better, probably because I lived in Pasadena). All those jokes about forgetting things as you get older aren't funny because they are SO TRUE!
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    I got that recall done..on 4-15-02..
    it takes a while for them to do it..about 2 hours for me. Plus there is another recall out.
    The disign of the intake and exhaust manifold could allow debris to accumulate at the #3 cylinder location. Ive looked on mine, few leaves & dead bugs is all I saw.
    WOW tsjay, u are a old man arent ya. About time to fine that retirement home for ya. LOL!!
    Gonna give TAZZ a complete detail wash today.
    so he can shine like a new penny.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BamaTazz
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    I am confused, you mentioned your friend only had to work one night to make as much as you did in 4 full days. Did you mean you were also a topless dancer that worked days, but didn't make as much as your friend?

Just curious:-)
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    We have a water ban where I live, no washing of cars, YET the wrangler owner manual says no car washes.

What to do? Maybe I need a snorkel after all?
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Do they have the brushless car washes were you live? With the jets? I've taken my Wrangler through those with no problems, the soft top keeps the water out just fine. When I have the hard top on, I have also used the ones with the brushes, though I don't think they do a very good job and they take the wax off prematurely.
    LOL! Why am I not surprised you would make that comment? Gotta be that old military thought patterns coming out... Actually, I think at that time I was a contract worker working as a configuration analyst at an aerospace company. A very impressive way of saying that I was a temp who kept track of changes to assembly drawings...

anonymous02 - I figure that the car washes aren't any harder on my paint job than the trees and brush I habitually drive through, so I do the car wash thing. The one I go to happens to be brushless, and they usually do a good job (though not always, especially if it is REALLY dirty).
  • tjx02tjx02 Posts: 13
    What do you guys use to wash the softtop? I was thinking tire brush or similar would be ideal on the canvas. Any other ideas? And DWrangler, I was 35 when i bought Jake.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I have posted just a couple of pics from my last wheelin' trip in the Jeep Owners Photo Gallery here in edmunds.

I have posted several more at Gill's web site, where these pics are hosted on his server.

I let a guy riding shotgun in another Jeep have my camera and asked him to just shoot the whole roll. He did a great job, but I should have brought more film, since he shot the last frame before we even got to the tougher terrain that we went through that day. All of these shots are in some pretty easy terrain.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Great looking pictures! Looks like great fun! Sort of wish our area looked more like that, rather than the brown, water starved, grass and dusty grey-green of chaparral and pinon pines who are so draught resistent.

This summer we are (hopefully) heading for the state of Washington with the Wrangler. If someone knows of some interesting trails for a stock Wrangler, email me with details. We'll be staying near Bellingham.
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    dwrangler:
    I had just turned 29 the week before I bought my Jeep. I partially wanted to get one because I felt it would be my last chance to get such a fun, "non-economy" vehicle. But now that I've had it for 14 months, it's hard to imagine getting anything else when the time comes to sell or trade-in, at which point I'll be 34!

anonymous02:
    I have a hard top and I try to wash my Jeep at least once every 2 weeks, sometimes more often, with a "30 Minute Express Hand Wax" every 3rd or 4th wash. I take it to a "100% Hand Wash" in Sherman Oaks (a suburb of Los Angeles located in the - oh m'god! - San Fernando Valley). It's the only car wash I've ever gone to, partly because I've heard they're good and Shaquille O'Neal goes there (Go Lakers!), but mainly because nothing but hands ever touch the Jeep. There are no brushes or rollers, just a couple guys walking alongside the Jeep lathering it up by hand and using spray jet guns to get gunk off the grill and wheels. I must admit, I'm proud to say that although I park it on the street and there are a couple tiny paint nicks here and there, for the most part my Jeep looks fantastic - nearly as new as the day I got it.

redkey:
    I'd be interested in knowing how much you spent on those 1/2 doors. That's the one accessory I'd like to get for my Jeep - I just love the way 1/2 doors look, but they don't work with my hard top, which I have on most of the time. And let us know how much the paint job is when you find out - I have the same situation, I'd probably buy in black and then have to paint them Solar Yellow.

yellowman
    I have posted a new pic of Thelma Jane in the photo gallery here. This one shows her with her new Sun Performance rocker guards, which I installed Monday.

Tom

Yeah, one thing we have around here is "green." We also have about 100% humidity to go along with 95° F temperatures in the summer! I would gladly move out west to get away from that. Besides, although we have some hills, I LOVE the mountains.

I wish I could make a living somewhere in or very near the Rockies. How far from the Sierras are you? I like them too.

Tom

• yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Hey there

I know mtngal and I live in the same area - one great thing about LA is the variety of environments available. Within one day, you can travel from a mountaintop to the beach. Sure there's cityscapes and smog, but it's one of the few places where you can go surfing and snowboarding in the same day! About the only thing you don't have are the changing color of treeleaves.

In any case, it's a great opportunity to enjoy different scenery as you drive (or off-road) your Jeep!

yellowman
  • desnodesno Posts: 28
    Well, it's finally happened. Yup, that's right, my tj got wet My wife and I went to the movies to enjoy ourselves and with the hot weather and clear skys, so I decided to take the top down. Well, what do we see when we leave the theater? But pouring rain, thunder, and lightning. So we got into our soaked jeep, put the top back up for "some" protection, and drove home. Suffice it to say, it has been an interesting day. I really hope everything dries like everyone says!! :-)... laters

des'
    Bummer, man! Like you said, hope there's no real damage done. That has to happen to people a lot, you would think, so maybe the Jeeps can just take it and laugh it off.

I sure wouldn't want that to happen to Thelma Jane, but she could probably take it OK.

Tom

I know you will all want to join me in wishing me a Happy Birthday tomorrow, June 2. :)

I will be 53! ANCIENT! OVER THE HILL! OLDER THAN DIRT!

If I didn't have Thelma Jane to keep me young, I would probably be dead by now.

Tom

• lovejoylovejoy Posts: 1
    Hello everyone...this is my first post on the wrangler board. And I already feel like I am gonna be part of a family..I love the wrangler...and now as I have 3 payments on my first car (neon) I am ready to get some real wheels..I just got laid off and thought this is a good a time as any...I just wanna go for it...the summer is around the corner so lets party..

But I need help or advice rather. What accessories are a must and whats not. I was thinking about a hardtop and soft...is that necessary? What are the half doors...do they come with either....

Glad to be a almost jeep owner!

Scott
    Welcome! Let me suggest that you spend some time reading a LOT of the old posts in here.

You ought to get a real good idea about some things if you do.

I would say that should be a must for you, before you spend the bucks. I hung around in here for months before ordering my Jeep, and it sure helped me decide on what to get.

Before someone tells you what is a "must" as far as options, they would need to know what you plan on doing with the Jeep. Will it be a daily driver, will you go wheelin' with it, etc. ?

Tell us more about your needs, and we will be glad to suggest the options that we think would be appropriate.

Feel free to email me with any questions, and take a look at my Jeep's web page. I have the story of my purchase experience on that web page.

Here's the web page http://www.members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

And here's my email

tjoh298765@aol.com

Post another message and tell us more about your intended use for the Jeep, Scott, and I am sure you will get lots of good suggestions.

Once again, welcome!

Tom

Happy birthday Tom. This is all you get since I am to cheap to buy an ecard.

I hope you get lots of neat presents.
    I agree with Tom, I lurked here for a long time. I also used Edmunds to build my Jeep with various equipment and did that about a million times. After the builds I started looking at dealer sites on the net and even did some window shopping at different lots. I also bought every magazine I could find that looked like it might have a Jeep article.

What ever you get, I am willing to bet that it will be more fun than a Neon. Bet the Neon will get better gas mileage.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    In case you haven't signed up already, AARP has a long list of senior discounts available. It may even be possible to get a disount on a Jeep! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

Thanks! I'll have to check into that. :)

I thought you were going to give me a free month's subscription to the Edmunds Town Hall Jeep Owners Club for my birthday?

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    well happy birthday pal.
    Hope you have a great day..
    Is Tidester saying your a senior citizen now?

U get the free coffee at mcdonalds now.

Keep Jeepin
    bama
    Thanks. Wish all of my Jeep buddies could gather together with me for our own little Jamboree! We could have a heck of a birthday party.

Tom

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Tom, the rocker guards look great. One of those things you'll be glad you have when you need them! Drilling that first hole is always the hardest! Great pics from Turkey Bay. Make sure your camera guy gets the tough stuff next time so we'll know what we're in for when we come to wheel with you. My new tires shoudl be in next week, so hopefully I can get them swapped out next Friday!

-twylie
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    I thought you were going to give me a free month's subscription to the Edmunds Town Hall Jeep Owners Club for my birthday?

I tried to do that but I was reminded by management that a month long subscription is inconsistent with your birthday lasting only one day! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • gstone3gstone3 Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with the exhust manifold cracking on the 4.8 litre engine. Mine cracked between the split downpipes and must be replaced. OEM cost for the header is $586. Found one at 4 Wheel Drive for $249. This will be a pain to install. Wonder if it is a common problem. Thanks
  • gstone3gstone3 Posts: 3
    Meant 4.0 litre engine.
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    This is a very common occurance on the early TJ's. Your solution is also a common one for people that need to replace the manifold a second or third time. I think a few other members have been through this recently.

-twylie