Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    The poll is coming along. It might help me, and hopefully it will help others.

here it is:
    (from here on in, add yourselves... just copy this and the following text, modify your number, add your name, and repost for the next jeeper)

Just wondering who does which regarding doors/mirrors:

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket: (1)(madman390[Steel Horse)

aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors (leave originals on door when taking it off): (1) cklausing

homemade mirror mount: (0)

don't take doors off: (4) mtngal, jptj, appstate88,BamaTazz

doors off, no mirrors: (5) godducks, tsjay, twylie, markwarren66,BamaTazz
    Well I did it..got those doors off..
    Gonna drive around tomorrow..
    Tazz looks great..with bikini top & no doors.
    Those doors werent that heavy. You do have to lift straight up. & I didnt scratch anything.
    This is GREAT..

hey tom
    I LOVE MY JEEP TOO

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
  • gstone3gstone3 Posts: 3
    TSJAY; Tom thanks for your note on the cracked manifold. DC said to take a hike. Replaced it today in about 4 hours. relatively easy job but should have been unnecessary; use lot of lube on the fasteners before trying to rotate. Thanks agein. Greg
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Glad you got it fixed, but I still think DC should have accepted responsibility for it, since it was a known design flaw in the 97s. There might have even been a recall on them, or at least a TSB.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • madman390madman390 Posts: 72
    Came across this at another website...

http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=002311

Personally, I don't like the look, but it should give you an idea of what others are doing.

Hope this helps.

madman

WOOHOOO...
    Spent almost 2 hours driving around topless & doorless today. It was GREAT!! Had to come back home to "put" TAZZ back together.
    JEEPS ARE GREAT!!
    Hey, Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary..
    To the greatst lady in the world. 7 years and counting.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    Congratulations. Hope you continue to count for many more years to come.

I am still a happy camper.
    An early congratulations on your anniversary!

Yep, topless and doorless is the ultimate in Jeepin'. I even went wheelin' yesterday topless and doorless.

Tom

• oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    JINX! You owe me a coke.

Look at the time on those two messages.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    lol, Tom had to touch blue to post the message, so he's off the hook :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Congrats on the happy event that happened 7 years ago TODAY.

Hope you make it many, many more!

(My husband and I will be celebrating our 21st July 3).
  • quikkagquikkag Posts: 24
    Having checked Jeep.com and Edmunds to determine a fair value to trade in my '01 Tribute as well as to get a fair price for a new Wrangler Sport with the options I would like to have, I went to a nearby Jeep dealership (largest sales volume in Texas? US?), found a Wrangler that largely (though not completely) fit what I'm looking for, and sat down to talk numbers. After appraising the Trib, they gave me their figure for the trade in, which they later admitted was the book loan value of the vehicle rather than book trade in. I told them I wouldn't accept less than the figure I had for fair trade in value. They came back saying they would accept that, but would have to get list for the Wrangler. I stood up and thanked the saleman for his time. He suggested I sell the Trib myself or try Carmax, and that if I sold the Trib, they'd sell me the Wrangler for very close to invoice.

The Wrangler we were negotiating for is patriot blue with tan soft top and interior and full doors. I'd really prefer white with tan, and half doors. The salesman told me that the plastic on the half doors where the window piece slides in eventually crack and that the zippers eventually wear out. In spite of his argument, I don't think he swayed me from wanting half-doors. I think I'm also willing to let them try to bring in a white Wrangler that fits the bill rather than drive the patriot blue off the lot, though that is a nice color. I'm still concerned about the blue being too dark considering the long summer heat here in Houston.

I'm not at all unhappy with the Trib, so I don't have to deal. It's just that I really want a Wrangler, and with the 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty along with the current 3.9% financing rate, it's either buy now or wait at least a year.

Chapter two to follow....

Larry

PS: bamatazz, Happy Anniversary!
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I hate the whole negotiating process and it sounds like you're going the smart route to try and separate the two transactions. We have the exact combo (white/tan/half doors) that you're looking for and love it. It's great in the GA heat!

I've had three coworkers that have sold thier cars to CarMax/Autonation in the past. For a late model, popular vehicle, they got what I thought was a very fair offer in the deal.

For anyone looking at Wranglers, I think the 7/100 pledge they have going on is a great deal. Normally, an add-on powertrain warranty would run about $700 to cover the same stuff. I'm sure this stuff is negotiable, but with the financing thrown in as well, it makes the Jeep experience that much more attractive financially!

-twylie
  • quikkagquikkag Posts: 24
    Your assurances are a big help.

Let me ask you, now that we're into the summer, how do you configure your Wrangler? Sides off? Top off? All enclosed and a/c cranked? Thanks in advance.

Larry
    Right now, I'm running the duster only (back seat out). If it looks like it may rain while I'm out, I'll throw the bikini in the back in case I need to put it on (it rolls up into a small cyl. the width of the windshield). If I think there is a chance I may have to drive in rain, I'll toss the windjammer (also rolls into a similar sized cyl.) and possibly the upper doors in as well. Fortunately (unfortunately?), Atlanta has been so dry this and last summer that I have only been caught shorthanded a couple of times. FWIW, we are able to garage our Jeep at the house, so having a garage or covered parking can definitely make for a topless summer. In fact, I went ahead and pulled off the soft top yesterday to make some more room in the back. I'll put it back on this winter.

With the soft upper doors, bikini, windjammer, and duster, any rain that does make it in while parked will collect in the rear floorboard and can be drained out and I can pull the carpet. I've only had to do this once so far. Flipping the seats forward in this config will keep them dry. I will sometimes get some drips around the corners of the bikini into the cab, but it's pretty minimal.

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/wjam1.JPG

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/wjam2.JPG

I have to spend my working hours inside A/C buildings, so I like to get some fresh air any chance I get.

If the day is going to be really hot, I'll put the bikini/duster on and run the air while I'm stopped to help cool off. The half doors let a bunch of air in and the bikini will keep you from baking.

My wife is convinced that the jeep is a 1:1 scale model. She says I'm like a kid when I get to "configure" it for its next mission!

-twylie

• jeep_boyjeep_boy Posts: 9
    Hey Bama!! Happy Anniversary. Today happens to be my birthday as well!! 33 years old today. Man am I old.
    Happy Birthday, old Jeepboy! What did you get for your Jeep for your birthday?

Tom

Man, sounds like you are down to the nitty gritty.

I wish you the very best of luck in getting the right Jeep at the right price. I strongly suggest that you hold out for the color and the options that you really want, even if the deal might not be quite as good as that for another Jeep.

What's a few hundred bucks compared to what you will be spending anyway? If this Jeep will have to be yours for a long time, then you really want to be sure that you are getting just what you want.

I am a good example. I am still in love with my Jeep after 18 months. I'm almost as excited about her as when I first got her. BUT... I got exactly what I wanted. Thelma Jane was a factory order, so I just told them everything I wanted on her.

Good luck! KEEP US POSTED! You know how excited I get when someone gets a new Jeep!!!

Tom

Is anyone able to get me the distance between the top of the soundbar padding and the "peak" on the soft top? My soft top is pulled and in the attic and I'm trying to make sure I don't lift my Jeep only to find out it won't make it out of the garage once the top is back up. I'm currently sitting at 6.5" of clearance from the top of the soundbar and top of the windshield frame. With the OME lift, I figure 3" at the most, so as long as the soft top doesn't need more than 3.25 inches, I should be OK. Can anyone help me out and save me the hassle of getting my soft top out of the attic and installing it? I figure if it's close, I'll just have to get a winch and some more skids to keep my height down! Thanks for any help you can provide.

-twylie
    Get out your chain saw and make that door opening higher! Whatcha gonna do when you go with six inches of lift and 35's or bigger tires? :)

Tom

P.S. Do they make garage lift kits?
    Let's see who can finish this and do the best job of conveying the true meaning of Jeep ownership. Let's don't write a book: just a couple sentences or so.

A Jeep is like....

Tom

that best childhood friend with whom you shared your everyday adventures while school was out for the summer.
    Maybe a few years down the road if we move, but for the time being, I need to keep the peace at the house. My wonderful wife was the one that suggested getting a Jeep and has continued to be supportive of everything we've done to it. Hmmmm, I did have the chain saw out last weekend, think she'd buy that I "slipped" going back into the garage?

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    being on vacation forever.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    A wonderful dream that comes true everyday you get to go for a ride ;)

(Even though I don't have one yet)

Congrats Bama! And Happy Birthday JB!

Mines in 11 days....the BIG 39! Aw heck...it's just a number and besides....when I get my Jeep I'll never feel a day over 25 ;)

Hug your Jeeps for me....til I get mine ;)

dwrangler
  • dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    I drove by the dealer that has the black Sahara and it's still there...the price quoted on the website is 20,xxx

I went by the dealer that has a new Wrangler X (Patriot Blue w/camel interior), auto, steering group, convenience group, axle ratio 3.73, deep tinted windows, cruise, am/fm CD, full size spare, dark tan hardtop...sticker 22,550...."sale" price...20,550.... My question is do you think the dealer would go any lower? An employee that I met at a local restaurant told me that he could get the friends/family discount...do you think that the f&f disc. would take the price lower than 20,550? If it's still there in a month or so...I may go ahead and go for the blue one even though I'd rather have a sienna Jeep if they can't find one with the same features and they can't give me what I want at the f&f disc. then as long as I have a Jeep I'll be happy...even if I have to deal on the Sahara (used)...

Please excuse the rambling on but it helps keep the dream alive :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
    Per Edmunds, the X you described comes up as follows:

MSRP: $21725
    invoice: $20240
    TMV: $20579

Doesn't sound like a bad deal @ $20,550, but you can probably do a bit better especially if this one isn't exactly what you want. If you plan to finance for a while, make sure you don't settle to save a few hundred dollars.

You didn't mention if the Jeep has A/C, but that might be a deal breaker for you.

Have you been able to follow up w/ the person you met about f&f? I'd check into that before worrying too much about pricing on a specific vehicle. I would expect that the f&f discount would beat any advertised price the dealer had posted.

-twylie
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    Part of the Family
    A Jeep is like....

a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. (Forest Gump) :)

Well, that really is kind of true, isn't it? You THINK you know how much fun a Jeep is going to be, but then when you get one, it turns out to be more fun than you could have possibly imagined.

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I doubt the OME lift goes over 2.5 inches from their descriptions. Mind if I ask where you got it and how much? I am looking for a mild lift for the 31 inch tires to have a little more room.

You could always put the top down to go through the door and put it up again once out in bad weather.