-September 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 295
    Saw a Rivian today and 2 different wrapped Tesla trucks.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,771
    I wonder if used car values, at least on the east coast, are going to bump up due to the fallout from Helene?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,944
    Just in my 'hood, Teslas (of course), Jag I-Pace, Mustang Mach Es, Fisker Ocean (!) and Leaf for BEVs. Assorted PHEVs, too.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Oh, yeah. The A7 came with a portable charger (EVSE) with both 120 and 240 adaptors. Getting it upgraded in a couple of weeks, recall on the original supplied EVSE, an issue with the 240. Which I don't use, so no panic.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,530

I wonder if used car values, at least on the east coast, are going to bump up due to the fallout from Helene?

Probably not for a while until they get the washed-out road network repaired.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 8,169

————————————————
    Probably a function of water evaporation time as the cars move further north. That said, buyers in Maine may never see a flooded car. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,574
    The talk of pre-signing titles when you have no intention of selling a car reminds me of people who would pre-sign deeds transferring real estate to the people they intended to receive it after they passed, then keeping the deeds in a lockbox until they actually passed.

For reasons I won't go into here, both of these practices make my lawyer brain cringe.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,771
    The people who lost cars are going to need replacements pretty soon, before the zombie cars become available.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,833

@kyfdx said:
    In one afternoon at a local shopping center:

Rivian SUV
    Silverado EV pickup
    GMC Hummer SUT

Last Sunday on local freeway:

Audi Q4 e-Tron
    VW ID.4
    (twins)

You can't fall out of bed without landing on a Tesla

I don't know where @graphicguy is hanging out.. Things must be different in the Northern suburbs. :o

Yeah…I’m up in Liberty and Fairfield Twp (where I drive the most) Teslas are every where! Neighbor had an ID.4, but moved away. Two Teslas (and my EV6) in my cul-de-sac!

Haven’t seen any Blazer EVs or Equinox EVs on the road. Saw my first Lyric on the road tonite.

Given the neighborhoods I drive through, surprised I don’t see more EVs outside of Teslas. That said, my neighbor who has a TeslaX says he’s probably going to get a Kia EV9 to replace it.

2024 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Long Range, 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,286

@ab348 said:
    I went through the contacts phase when I was in my 30s. Never had to endure the hard contacts but tried just about every variety of soft contacts to get one that worked and never really found it. By the time I got home from work each day they had to come out because of discomfort, and if you were outside on a dry, windy day or went out after work they quickly became unbearable. Then of course they always needed cleaning and storage once I got home at the end of the day until the next morning. A few times they came out in the middle of the day and even if you could find it you couldn't just put it back in without cleaning it. A total pain. I went back to the eye doc several times and they finally concluded that the shape of my eyeball was why I was having problems. The only ones that came close to being acceptable were the daily disposable ones which back then were pretty expensive to use. I abandoned them after a few years.

For me, the only good thing about them was they gave me the ability to wear sunglasses.

Had cataract surgery on both eyes about 3 years ago. Since I was 8 years old I’ve been nearsighted. After the cataract surgery, the lenses the ophthalmologist inserted caused me to become foresighted. So the corrective lenses in my eyeglasses (Varalux) are more for reading with slight corrections in the upper lenses for astigmatism and distance. I can actually drive now without glasses since the gauge cluster in my car is far enough away from my line of sight that I can see everything clearly.

I go in once a year for a checkup to make sure the cataracts are not returning and that my retina is healthy considering the fact that I am diabetic.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,227
    suydam said:

Rivians in particular are popular here. I never heard of them before maybe last year and now they are everywhere. I imagine people like the rugged look. Havent sat in one, let alone driven one.

I see a lot of these in my area:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Carvana just upped their offer on my Mustang $800. Strange since it’s coming to the end of the RWD season.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited October 3
    corvette said:

The talk of pre-signing titles when you have no intention of selling a car reminds me of people who would pre-sign deeds transferring real estate to the people they intended to receive it after they passed, then keeping the deeds in a lockbox until they actually passed.

For reasons I won't go into here, both of these practices make my lawyer brain cringe.

Fortunately, thanks to Kirstie H prompting me to research changes in the law I no longer have to do that.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,193
    suydam said:

Rivians in particular are popular here. I never heard of them before maybe last year and now they are everywhere. I imagine people like the rugged look. Havent sat in one, let alone driven one.

A friend of mine has a Rivian R1T and a newer Corvette. We took the Rivian out to lunch, and on the return trip, took back roads. He stopped the Rivian, and accelerated from the dead stop. MAN, is that thing fast. The difference between the 0-60 time on the Rivian and the Corvette is 0.6 seconds, which is pretty amazing considering the Rivian is thousands of pounds heavier. The panoramic roof is pretty cool as well. He's not going to keep it once the warranty expires, though. He's made multiple trips to the dealer - fairly minor things, and they always give him a nice loaner, but the dealer is 45 miles away and every issue seems to take 2 weeks to fix.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Find me at kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    2015 Kia Soul, 2021 Subaru Forester (kirstie_h), 2024 GMC Sierra 1500 (mr. kirstie_h)
    Review your vehicle

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,699
    edited October 3
    Kirstie_H said:

suydam said:

A friend of mine has a Rivian R1T and a newer Corvette. We took the Rivian out to lunch, and on the return trip, took back roads. He stopped the Rivian, and accelerated from the dead stop. MAN, is that thing fast. The difference between the 0-60 time on the Rivian and the Corvette is 0.6 seconds, which is pretty amazing considering the Rivian is thousands of pounds heavier. The panoramic roof is pretty cool as well. He's not going to keep it once the warranty expires, though. He's made multiple trips to the dealer - fairly minor things, and they always give him a nice loaner, but the dealer is 45 miles away and every issue seems to take 2 weeks to fix.
    I was very interested in a Mercedes-AMG CLE53 PHEV, but I recently learned that it weighs over 5,200 pounds(!). Back in 2007 I had a Alpina B7 press loaner that I used to lap Motorsport Ranch in Fort Worth. It weighed close to 4,700 pounds, and while it felt reasonably nimble, I much prefer a vehicle that weighs under 2 tons.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

edited October 3
    Enel X Way is shutting down its charger network (both home chargers and commercial are affected--home chargers will become dumb chargers, and commercial will cease functioning). I know there are quite a few DCFCs installed, including the ones my local electric utility recently debuted. It looks like ChargeLab has offered to migrate any that are compatible to its network.
    That's a shame (link didn't work for me); I used Enel stations at Gillette Stadium (home of the depressingly so far fallen from grace Patriots. But a Chick fil A is coming next year!).

The first link should be fixed... I thought PlugShare sometimes indicated the brand of the charger, but I didn't see it on the chargers I frequent.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,506

I have one at home. Wonder how that will shake out.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    corvette said:

Enel X Way is shutting down its charger network (both home chargers and commercial are affected--home chargers will become dumb chargers, and commercial will cease functioning). I know there are quite a few DCFCs installed, including the ones my local electric utility recently debuted. It looks like ChargeLab has offered to migrate any that are compatible to its network.

————————————————
    Watch for it, @driver100 is going to have a field day with this.

jmonroe
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 3,012
    Someone must have not been liked very much.

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,356

Checking a new Corvette in showroom. $142,000.
    $695 for paint on edges of caliper to match the red tintcoat.
    It has double clutch trans: I likely would have trouble shifting a single clutch it's been so long since I drove a car with a clutch. Lol

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,456

@imidazol97 said:
    It has double clutch trans: I likely would have trouble shifting a single clutch it's been so long since I drove a car with a clutch. Lol

That’s confusing nomenclature, but it is actually an automated manual transmission so it is like an automatic in that you just put it in reverse or drive or whatever you need and it operates on its own.

edited October 4
    It never rains but it pours.

My in-laws are coming in from Florida Saturday and asked to borrow my Kia for a week. No problem except this is the one week I need it to take my wife to her eye doctor and the next day it’s scheduled for a dealer recall. No problem, I’ll just switch them out for one of my other cars and take my truck to work. Except….now the truck won’t start.😥 Could be the battery but I doubt it so probably will get it towed to the shop. Thank heavens for AAA.

How do people live with only one car?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 248,659

My in-laws are coming in from Florida Saturday and asked to borrow my Kia for a week. No problem except this is the one week I need it to take my wife to her eye doctor and the next day it’s scheduled for a dealer recall. No problem, I’ll just switch them out for one of my other cars and take my truck to work. Except….now the truck won’t start.😥 Could be the battery but I doubt it so probably will get it towed to the shop. Thank heavens for AAA.

We manage quite nicely, thanks. Though, the daughters new car is at the shop getting a ceramic coating and PPF, so there is only one car for three drivers. We are making it work, however. She picks it up today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2024 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,456
    edited October 4

@oldfarmer50 said:

Uber / taxi /phone a friend

Some are just compelled not to...

That can’t be the base model. For that price it better have time travel capability.😫

mjfloyd1 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Uber / taxi /phone a friend

————————————————
    He didn’t say he was drunk. :/

jmonroe
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,164
    jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    My friend whose wife got a new Cadillac Lyric says the chargers he can use are hard to find, and when he gets there they are usually broken. He spent 4 hours charging and was able to go 60 miles. He was going to go back to see if he is doing something wrong. He has a charger in his condo garage, but it is slow and cost $5000 Canadian...about $3500 USD.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Sounds like he was using a level 2 charger or a broken level 3.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,286

@mjfloyd1 said:

@abacomike said:

@ab348 said:
    I went through the contacts phase when I was in my 30s. Never had to endure the hard contacts but tried just about every variety of soft contacts to get one that worked and never really found it. By the time I got home from work each day they had to come out because of discomfort, and if you were outside on a dry, windy day or went out after work they quickly became unbearable. Then of course they always needed cleaning and storage once I got home at the end of the day until the next morning. A few times they came out in the middle of the day and even if you could find it you couldn't just put it back in without cleaning it. A total pain. I went back to the eye doc several times and they finally concluded that the shape of my eyeball was why I was having problems. The only ones that came close to being acceptable were the daily disposable ones which back then were pretty expensive to use. I abandoned them after a few years.

For me, the only good thing about them was they gave me the ability to wear sunglasses.

Had cataract surgery on both eyes about 3 years ago. Since I was 8 years old I’ve been nearsighted. After the cataract surgery, the lenses the ophthalmologist inserted caused me to become foresighted. So the corrective lenses in my eyeglasses (Varalux) are more for reading with slight corrections in the upper lenses for astigmatism and distance. I can actually drive now without glasses since the gauge cluster in my car is far enough away from my line of sight that I can see everything clearly.

I go in once a year for a checkup to make sure the cataracts are not returning and that my retina is healthy considering the fact that I am diabetic.

Cataracts do not return after cataract surgery. Cataracts are clouding of your natural lens. Your natural lens is removed and they put in a plastic lens when they do the cataract surgery.

So nice having a doctor on this site. All of us feel more secure about our health. 🤪😜👍

2021 Genesis G90

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,864
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    My friend whose wife got a new Cadillac Lyric says the chargers he can use are hard to find, and when he gets there they are usually broken. He spent 4 hours charging and was able to go 60 miles. He was going to go back to see if he is doing something wrong. He has a charger in his condo garage, but it is slow and cost $5000 Canadian...about $3500 USD.
    Sounds like he didn’t do his homework before buying it. The salesman for our Blazer drove it to our house and we went to the closest public fast charger and he showed how it works. I asked about that because I wanted to make sure I could charge somewhere close. He also explained how to use the Level 1 and 2 chargers. I researched the home possibilities myself.
    PlugShare and/or the charging app your friend is using should show all available charging stations in any area, how many there are, if any are broken, and how many are in use at the time. It’s really not that difficult unless you live in a very remote area. And if so, why are you buying an all EV in the first place?
    4 hours charge for 60 miles sounds like Level 2, not a fast charge. It takes about 35 minutes to go from nearly empty to 85% in the Blazer. Not the fastest charge there is, but it’s fine for us. Just enough time to treat myself to Starbucks and run one short errand.
    Just got my Tesla adapter charger in the mail today.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
    Had an interesting experience this week. A couple of weeks ago I made an appointment for an oil change at my Caddy dealer which was originally scheduled for today, Friday. On Wednesday I received an email from them reminding me of my appointment for the next day, yesterday, at 7:15AM. The service dept doesn’t even open until 7:30. Obviously someone screwed up somewhere since I don’t go anywhere that early (unless it’s for surgery), so I responded to the email telling them that. An hour or so later I got a phone call from some young-sounding guy there whose script must have read “the customer is always at fault” because he kept saying I had to be the one who made the mistake. Finally I lost it with him and started giving him orders like a drill sergeant. He finally responded to that but the new appointment he gave me was 2 weeks out again.

I always had pretty good experiences there so this was out of character for them. I then remembered that I had coordinates for the daughter of the founder of the place who works for the dealership group as their Director of Customer Experience or some such, so I sent her an email describing what happened. She called me today and we had a delightful chat. She was full of apologies and had already checked into it, having already ID’ed the culprit and said he was going to be retrained. She then said you can come in any day next week to get this done so what would be convenient ? Oh, and do you have my number? Call me anytime I can help, even for your next appointment, you can deal with me direct, etc etc. She was great. It was the right way to correct a problem.

abacomike said:

I was looking thru my trunk yesterday and as I lifted the floor of the trunk, I noticed info about the adjacent lithium batteries. What the heck are lithium batteries doing under the floor of my trunk? So I called my dealership and was told the batteries were there to power the electric supercharger as well as to restart the engine when the on/off engine system shuts the engine down when at a traffic light. Who knew?

Electric supercharger? I thought superchargers were belt driven. Shows how little I know about my car.

————————————————
    Maybe the electrics rotates the belt. :o

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

Had an interesting experience this week. A couple of weeks ago I made an appointment for an oil change at my Caddy dealer which was originally scheduled for today, Friday. On Wednesday I received an email from them reminding me of my appointment for the next day, yesterday, at 7:15AM. The service dept doesn’t even open until 7:30. Obviously someone screwed up somewhere since I don’t go anywhere that early (unless it’s for surgery), so I responded to the email telling them that. An hour or so later I got a phone call from some young-sounding guy there whose script must have read “the customer is always at fault” because he kept saying I had to be the one who made the mistake. Finally I lost it with him and started giving him orders like a drill sergeant. He finally responded to that but the new appointment he gave me was 2 weeks out again.

I always had pretty good experiences there so this was out of character for them. I then remembered that I had coordinates for the daughter of the founder of the place who works for the dealership group as their Director of Customer Experience or some such, so I sent her an email describing what happened. She called me today and we had a delightful chat. She was full of apologies and had already checked into it, having already ID’ed the culprit and said he was going to be retrained. She then said you can come in any day next week to get this done so what would be convenient ? Oh, and do you have my number? Call me anytime I can help, even for your next appointment, you can deal with me direct, etc etc. She was great. It was the right way to correct a problem.

————————————————
    And then you woke up from that dream. :p

jmonroe
    edited October 4
    corvette said:

Sounds like he was using a level 2 charger or a broken level 3.

Possible....he was going to go back and try it again. He said the dealer was of little help, they don't have much knowledge of EVs, which is another problem.

suydam said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Sounds like he didn’t do his homework before buying it. The salesman for our Blazer drove it to our house and we went to the closest public fast charger and he showed how it works. I asked about that because I wanted to make sure I could charge somewhere close. He also explained how to use the Level 1 and 2 chargers. I researched the home possibilities myself.
    PlugShare and/or the charging app your friend is using should show all available charging stations in any area, how many there are, if any are broken, and how many are in use at the time. It’s really not that difficult unless you live in a very remote area. And if so, why are you buying an all EV in the first place?
    4 hours charge for 60 miles sounds like Level 2, not a fast charge. It takes about 35 minutes to go from nearly empty to 85% in the Blazer. Not the fastest charge there is, but it’s fine for us. Just enough time to treat myself to Starbucks and run one short errand.
    Whatever works for you. My friend's wife wanted the Lyric. This is the same one that got a new free $20000 battery and had to wait in a field until the new battery arrived from Detroit. In order to install the new battery they had to wait for a truck lift to be available, the Lyric weighs too much for a car lift.
    He did what he was told to charge it, but it didn't work...he has to see what went wrong. The chargers for the Lyric are not abundant, and I think the main company that had chargers went under......anyway, he's still working on it.

It really doesn't take too much effort to get a tutorial on an EV, have they tried going online?

ab348 said:

She then said you can come in any day next week to get this done so what would be convenient ? Oh, and do you have my number? Call me anytime I can help, even for your next appointment, you can deal with me direct, etc etc. She was great. It was the right way to correct a problem.

What a smooth talker. Did you take her out to dinner after your appointment? :p

One of the tennis guys said his new Equinox has seats that vibrate if there is an object behind him that the rear view camera sees. If he is backing up and there is a curb, tree, pole etc on the right side his seat vibrates on the right side, if it is on the left his left cheek butt vibrates, if it is in the middle.....don't ask!
    I looked it up and it is all true. I guess it is good if you have an itch on your butt cheek....find a pole you can back up to! :D:D:D:p

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,864
    I prefer the quiet nudge to the beep that scares your passengers!
    It also does that if the light changes and you’re the one in front and don’t start forward. Keeps you from being “that guy” who was checking his phone or changing the XM station and didn’t know the light was green.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
    driver100 said:

One of the tennis guys said his new Equinox has seats that vibrate if there is an object behind him that the rear view camera sees. If he is backing up and there is a curb, tree, pole etc on the right side his seat vibrates on the right side, if it is on the left his left cheek butt vibrates, if it is in the middle.....don't ask!
    I looked it up and it is all true. I guess it is good if you have an itch on your butt cheek....find a pole you can back up to! :D:D:D:p

My Caddy (a 2017) has the same type of vibrating seat that is tied into various external sensors. It is somewhat useful…

driver100 said:

Caddy has had that for years. I find it super annoying especially when you really aren’t in danger of hitting anything.

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

She then said you can come in any day next week to get this done so what would be convenient ? Oh, and do you have my number? Call me anytime I can help, even for your next appointment, you can deal with me direct, etc etc. She was great. It was the right way to correct a problem.

What a smooth talker. Did you take her out to dinner after your appointment? :p

My appointment hasn't happened yet. If it goes well, who knows... :D

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,833
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    My Level 2 in the garage keeps me charged when I need it. For a while, when I first got the EV6 I was plugging it in every night. Actually, there was no need for that. Now, I plug it in about once/week....when I am sleeping. I'll have to plug it in during the day to see how long level 2 charging takes to charge it, as I don't know.

I do know that on the Level 3 chargers near my home it takes about 15-20 minutes to charge from about 15% to 80%. As you state, about the time it takes for me to get a coffee and come back to the car and unplug. From what I understand the Electrify America credits I have mean I can only use their chargers, which if you believe the YouTubers out there, are not necessarily that reliable. But, Kia is supposed to send me the Tesla charger adapter this coming January. So, that doubles (triples?) the number of chargers available to me on a road trip.

So far, it's been more convenient driving an EV than it has been to drive my Accord Hybrid. I "fill up" in my garage with the EV6.
    2024 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Long Range, 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,438
    one thing I miss about living in NJ (especially in winter) is that now I have to get out and pump gas. Not that often at least with how few miles we drive, but it still stinks. Being able to do it in the garage instead would be nice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,356
    It's been a miserable week. Among other irritating problems, I had to replace a battery at 3 years and 28 days.

My car has been seeping coolant somewhere for months again. Finally I began to see it around the area below the water pump and pulley and belt. Water pump is not easy to get to anymore. But it had been 90K mi or more since the first replacement at 60/65 k mi.

Nope. IT's the thermostat housing or seal or something that started leaking faster this week. $550 for thermostat replacement, and plastic housing, and a seal. It is electric however.

Remember the days of $13 thermostats for a quality brand, two bolts, and new rubber seal inside the housing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,