Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Couldn't a tire be that much off just by a little low air pressure?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,107
    Possibly.. I mean, that's how the old TPMS worked.. by measuring the difference in rolling circumference (via the ABS system)...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wwwonewwwone Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I need expert advice please if you can. My car is a 5 speed stick. It seems to be geared a bit low - as I knew before I bought it - and as a result it's in top gear in no time. It could benefit from a 6th gear to drop the RPM and increase the MPG but it doesn't therefore I am trying to lower my final gear ratio via taller tires. I'm thinking I'd like to find a tire that fits my factory rims and fits reasonably well in my wheel wells. The current tires are Kuhmo 722's and they are ready for replacement. The spec on Kuhmos sized tires indicate they turn approximately 915 Revs Per Mile. I believe the factory rims are 14 x 5.5". Taller tires such as 65, 70, 75, 80, etc reduce the Revs Per Mile proportionally. I'd like to determine what is the TALLEST tire I can go with that will fit reasonably well without to much rubbing. I realize it will throw my speedo off but I am willing to accept that (I can use a GPS to determine the appropriate delta). The car has 21k on it and is generally used for light load commuting. The car is a 2009 Chevy Aveo LS 4 door sedan that we bought new really cheaply and things are very tight and we couldn't pass it up. For us it works. In warm weather I get mid to high 30's (34-38). In cold weather I get low to mid 30's (32-36). It has only one driver and I drive it sensibly. Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2011
    Good intentions, but I see two problems -

First, there's no way to know without extensive testing what size will fit without rubbing at extreme suspension positions: full turns and (hardest to test) full compression of the suspension. Rubbing can lead to tire failure.

Second, you may be disappointed with the minor change in mpgs. The gearing was chosen as the best combination for performance and milage, and taller tires might hurt performance without improving milage at all. Chevy is under constant pressure to maximize fleet mpgs, and if taller gearing was an easy way to do that, it would aready be used in your Aveo.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited March 2011
    To add to what TX is saying.

I do not drive many Chevrolet products, (and the one that I have had for app 10 years is probably N/A to your circumstances) but I can tell you that almost no one who gets either bigger, wider, taller tires and/or any combination/s reports better fuel mileage.

The other is, if you look at or read the Aveo's owners manual technical page, you can probably infer that the tires, gearing, transmission and engine, etc. are optimized with the combination/s you now have.

Sure you can tweak the oem sized tires a bit by getting the "optimum" oem sized tires when they are due. However, you need to then remember that new tires normally drop mpg anywhere from -1 to -3 mpg for @ least 500 miles to sometimes 1,000 miles. In addition, to Chevrolets credit you already have the #6 rated tires, oem. tirerack Aveo tires

While you do SEEM to get pretty good fuel mileage (epa is 27c/34h you report 34/38 mpg) , three things might help for a so called better informed second opinion.

1. post the (your) OM technical specifications (I took the liberty below)
    2. detail your actual driving style given that knowledge, or not
    3. what are your mpg expectations.

The real solution/s might be just minor adjustments to your driving style (normally your rev patterns) and/or driving a tad differently, if you are not taking your technical page into account and/or adjusting your mpg expectations.

..."Engine & Performance

Base engine size: 1.6 L
    Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
    Cylinders: inline 4
    Valves: 16
    Valve timing: Variable
    Torque: 106 ft-lbs. @ 3800 rpm
    Horsepower: 107 hp @ 6400 rpm

Aveo

So for example: 1. start out driving the majority of your cruising @ 3,800 rpm or less. 2. see if you are happy with the SPEED that converts to 3. find out your rpm sweet spots 4. start with 85% psi of your max side wall pressure.
  • Options
    lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Time to find a new installer. He is full of baloney, sounds like he's just making stuff up.
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    9,000 miles ago I needed tires for my 2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD. This vehicle weighs in at 4,800+ lbs. I had used Toyo Open Country AT tires, two sets for 82,000 miles. But as you may have noticed tires have taken a huge jump in price. So I spent many hours reading actual comsumers rating their tires. Over and over I heard od Fuzion tires owners say how they liked them. Sure there were those who did not like them. But almost 90% said they would buy them again. I think 90% is pretty good anytime a group of vehicle owners agree that something is good at 90% thats worth looking into.

I live 1 mile off the paved road. Our road is rough gravel, mud, and large rocks, and a sttep hill. I needed a tough tire with good traction in snow, ice and mud. I bought the 235 65 17 Fuzion XTI tires 4 for $586. I now have 9,000 miles and they have done super in rain, snow, ice, mud. and rough roads. On the highway they are quiet, good traction in rain, snow and all the rest of stuff. I felt it was a risk buying a tire I had never heard of before, but I am very pleased.

You just might want to check out Fuzion tires and see it is worth a try.

farout
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So I am looking at doing a +1 on a 2007 Honda Accord EX 4dr from 16" wheels (205/60R16) to 17" wheels (215/50R17), mostly so I can get a more performance oriented tire. There are a lot of deals on Acura TL 17x8 +45 offset wheels, but I believe a 215 is too narrow for a 17x8. The Acura TL-S came with a 235/45R17.
    So here are the questions:
    Will a 235/45 clear the suspension and fenders? (noting that something that wide may look ridiculous on a 4cyl Accord sedan)
    Can I run a 225 width tire on that rim?
    Will a 225/45R17 clear the suspension and fenders?

I am also trying to find Acura TSX wheels that are a 17x7 and would allow for a 215/50 to fit fine. The Accord coupe 17" wheels are on the list too. I don't care for the Accord 17" wheels.

I basically want to get to a 17" wheel so I can get a better tire without adding too much weight or maintenance to the car...I have found OEM wheels to have stronger finishes than aftermarket wheels and I am not doing this for the bling factor.

The stock 16x6.5s will get true snow tires (Hankook W409s or W310s, probably).

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    According to Continental Tire's web site, a 235/45R17 will fit on your car. I assume they have checked all the clearances when they make that recommendation - and I also assume it means that you have to be careful about wheel offset, which they do not mention. I would suggest a trial fit - and the best way to do that is with a retailer who knows what they are doing.

Also, a 225/45R17 doesn't appear on CT's web site - and I guess it's because of the diameter being too small.
  • Options
    koolerkooler Member Posts: 22
    I have had a lot of trouble with the tires that came on my 2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen. The car was made or assembled (whatever the correct answer is) in Mexico. I follow the sticker on the driver's door jam as far as pressure but I really do not think this sticker info. is for the tires that came with the car. Last winter I could not even drive the car in the snowy days because the tires are so and in the snow. I was shocked that I would have the trouble I had. Now, I read how other TDI Jetta owners are getting such fantastic MPG, I am wondering if I just need new tires. I took the car to Costco, looked into the best they had (Bridgestone) BTW, the VW dealer really wants to majorly rip me of to sell me tires and charge me 4 times what they are worth so I decide not to go that way. Costco said they wold not know how to reset or make sure each tire was hooked up to the TPMS correctly. I thought, man what is up, why is it so hard to get decent tires on this sportwagen? any suggestions? Would appreciate any recommendations regarding the PSI during the summer too. If I go by what is on the sticker on the door jam, I would have 35-40 psi, but as I said I do not think the sticker is for the tires that were put on the car in Mexico.

Thanks for any advice, help on where to get some good tires and what to make sure the tire store does so that I know the TPMS is hooked up right?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,298
    The door jamb sticker is the factory specification for tire size and pressure. Even if you go with an aftermarket tire (of the correct size), the inflation pressure recommendations will carry over to that tire.

TPMS light should come on if there is a malfunction. Costco should be able to mount your new tires without disrupting the system. I'm not sure of VW's official test procedure to make sure it is working. If your tires are adequately inflated, the light will not be on.
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I saw on MOTOR WEEK today that only nitrogen should be used in vehicles with the tre pressure moniter system. The Owners Manual, nor the dealer has ever suggested any shuch thing. Motor Week said the air from compressors have moisture and it damages the moniter. Any one hear of this?
  • Options
    I saw the same thing. Nonsense. If air was corroding TPMS monitors, they'd be failing by the millions. This is the only benefit to nitrogen that makes even the least sense, but it's not needed, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Corvette.
    The only problems with your reply are the following. The sticker that the VW assembly plant in Mexico put on my door jamb should represent the tires that were put on the car. Not all tires that are the same size, have the same recommendations regarding inflation. Even if you do not agree with this, that is OK, but your next statement, "The TPMS light should come on…" the big word is "SHOULD." The TPMS system has not worked since I first purchased the car, and they have not been able to fix it. I know very little about their TPMS system, and it sounds like a great concept, but if they have not worked the bugs out, it is a pain. I wish I could turn it off.

When I found a all weather pair of tires that after some researched I am not sure about this "all weather" terms but they sound like much better tires then what Mexico put on the VW Jetta TDI 09 sportwagon. The Costco technician told me that when they have a car with a TPMS system , and they put on new tires they take a part that connects the TPMS system to the tire and try to clean it out, unless it needs replacing because it is clogged with dirt, salt, and other stuff that can't be cleaned out. Frequently the technician told me the TPMS system does not work correctly, and he said it is generally because once the parts are cleaned out, the TPMS adapter malfunctions. Whatever all of this means. it is kind of odd that this technician even got into this kind of conversation with me.
  • Options
    farout- are you talking about using compressed air to fill the tire up cause the TPMS to fail from the moisture? Using nitrogen to fill the tires up in the way to go? I cannot imagine that using nitrogen to fill a tire up to the proper PSI would be the way to go when filling up a tire, especial from a safety standpoint. I think you could be on to something knowing how sensitive these TPMS monitors are, but to recommend using nitrogen instead of compressed air
  • Options
    I want to clarify a couple of things:

If you use the same tire size as listed on the vehicle tire placard, the load carrying characteristics are essentially the same - so the inflation pressure listed on the vehicle tire placard would be appropriate. There may be small differences between tires with regard to their load carrying capacities - but the operative word is "small" - not enough to worry about.

But tires CAN vary widely with regard to handling and ride qualities - and many folks think this means the tire requires a different inflation pressure - not true. The tire manufacturer dialed in (or dialed out!) the ride / handling characteristics - and these are independent of the load carrying capacity.
  • Options
    "Not all tires that are the same size, have the same recommendations regarding inflation. "

This only is important with regard to maximum safe inflation pressure, as long as you're not exceeding the sidewall pressure, the sticker pressure is the appropriate pressure to use.
  • Options
    jwontjwont Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a 2010 Impala LS (emergency buy). The 2 front tires are type "H" and a little more worn than the 2 rear tires type "S". This car being an emergency buy, we can't afford new tires so that they match. Both sets have great tread left. Is it ok to rotate them so the wear stays even?

We only have to live here for another year and then moving to a no snow/ice climate. We would like to try to make these last till then so we don't buy all-seasons here and have no need for them in the south.
  • Options
    As long as both tires are the identical size, and the recommended size, you should be OK. Make sure the matched tires stay on the same axle, don't mix them up.

But know that all-seasons are likely the best tire in the south, too.
  • Options
    The tires that came with the car are still on the car and is the car that had the original sticker in the driver's door jam.
  • Options
    might sound stupid but I am not sure what you mean by "Make sure the matched tires stay on the same axle, don't mix them up."

I do need something that will give me much more traction then what is on the car. The first winter, the first time I drove out of the garage, I knew this car/tire was not going to make it out of the driveway. With the same amount of snow, these are the first tires I have had (On a front-wheel drive car) that I could not even drive the car on plowed roads. so I am looking for a tire that I can use in the winter on "regular" roads, no four-wheeling, and give me a nice ride now for trip rides. the tires the VW plant in Mexico put on this Jetta TDI sportwagon are junk. So I also hear there is no such thing as a true all-weather tire. I just know I need a better tire. any suggestions on the best all weather tire?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,714
    the matched set comment was directed to the guy with different tires on the front and rear. In that case, you don't want to mix them up and have different tires side to side (keep them together on an axle).

For you and the jetta, I don't recall if you specified mileage. But, often OEM tires are not that great, and once they start to wear, traction goes way down. if you are at even say 4/32", you can really notice it in snow.

So, get something new before the winter. Look at tirerack for reviews/recommendations, and concentrate on the ratings you care about (such as snow traction). Plenty of good brands, with various strengths and weaknesses

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    The tire sticker/placard 35 PSI is actually closer to the ideals than they have ever been.The car is assembled in Mexico is not relevant. If I am not mistaken the 2009 TDI's come with H rated tires and 51 psi max side wall pressure. I personally run between 42-44 psi. This happens to be 83% to 86% of max side wall pressure. OEM recommendation of 35 psi is in fact 69% of max side wall pressure. The best oem tire is really the Michelin MXV4. The aftermarket is also a Michelin Primacy MXV4. Neither is great in snow/ice.

As for wanting an all seasons tire to perform like like a dedicated winter tire, you are setting your expectations way too high and in effect compromising your safety. So if you want better to fantastic traction in the winter, go to the winter tires. Having dedicated and cheaper rims (they actually make steelies for your car) is really the way to go, albeit more expensive.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I saw a previous post on this board (as well as capriracer's website, I think) about cap plies and how they make a tire stronger. The recommendation was to purchase tires with at least an H speed rating, because cap plies are usually necessary to obtain the H rating.

I have a set of Pirelli P4 Four Seasons (T rated). Tire Rack says "...twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon to combine good wear with ride quality and durability. Polyester cord body plies combine strength with ride comfort." The sidewall says:
    "Tread 2 polyester 2 steel 1 nylon
    Sidewall 2 polyester."

Do these have a cap ply, and how can one tell whether an S- or T-rated tire has a cap ply? The technical info provided by the manufacturers is pretty scarce.
  • Options
    Cap plies are put on top of the belts. They are typically nylon. They are typically applied in a continuous spiral.

"...spirally wrapped nylon......." Yup - Cap ply!

"..."Tread 2 polyester 2 steel 1 nylon ...." Yup - Cap ply!

And just a bit of clarification. Cap plies aren't there to make the tire stronger. They are there to resist the centrifugal forces - and that improves the speed capability.

A more capable tire is a safer tire.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response and the clarification. I wish the tire manufacturers did a better job of making technical information and education about their products available!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I would agree. Normally the stuff that Capriracer mentioned is opaque to the normal tire consumer.

So for example the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons happens to come in the same size (195/65/15) for my application. (VW Jetta TDI) It comes in a T and H rating. On tirerack.com, the price difference is -minus $7.00 for the T rating. Since VW recommends the H rated tire, there is no way I would get a T rating tire for it, even as I know it would be fine and actually a lot of folks do it .
  • Options
    I'm guessing the tread compound on the H-rated version of the P4 Four Seasons may differ, since the UTQG wear rating is lower. I've had them on the Altima for 4,000 miles and don't have any huge complaints. I may post a review after 10-15,000 miles.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The H rated tire is 620 AA UTQG. The T rated is 760 AB UTQG.

I really have no reality on these ratings, other than the logical ones.

On oem H rated tires GY LS-H's, I was able to get 112,300 miles on 320 UTQG.

Currently I am on 54,000 miles on a Toyo TPT set 400 UTQG H rated (directional) , and it looks destined to stay on a 115,000 to 125,000 miles pace.

So for example (H rated) 620 is 94% better than 320. It is 55% better than 400. I'd be more than delighted if that had those percentage mileage conversions on a Pirelli P4 set. But I think it would be a stretch.

I follow the oem rotation recommendation of 10,000 miles (app and give or take) I bought an extra tire (spare actually) as the technical data indicates (infers actually) the right passenger fronts tend to wear faster than the left drivers side, with left and right rears app at par. In real English, this means the extra right tire helps to offset the right sides (F/R) tendency to wear faster than the left sides (app 1 to 2/32nds faster)
  • Options
    ruking

You are missing my questions/comments. First off, I am not looking for an "all season tire to perform like a dedicated winter tire." I appreciate your help, but I would encourage you to read my original post, and would like any helpful comments after that. The second comment you made about the car being assembled in Mexico is relevant. I would not put it in the post if it was not. If you look on the TdIClub website, as I have experienced, the Jetta TDI DSG's that were assembled have had a major problem with the placard posted on the car is not the one that matches the tires that were put on some of the Jetta TDI's.

I appreciate all the comments, but I am asking some specific questions. If you have to make up and say things I did not state to answer my post, it would best that you move on to another post.

I am asking if anybody has had a good experience with a specific tire (I will stay away from words such as "all weather" "all season" etc.) that can be on the car all year long and function as a decent tire, (not to drive on un-plowed roads or street racing), and also be safe. I understand that a snow tire would be ideal for winter driving, especially if the winter is like this past one, but that type of winter is not the norm in Salt Lake City. Not Park City, but Salt Lake City. The tire that is on my car came with the car when purchased new. I need a better tire, one that people who know tires would recommend that I look at and would be a tire that I could leave on all year taking in to consideration that I drive on only plowed roads (if it is not like a winter we had this past winter where it was impossible to keep the highways/most frequently used roads plowed because of the unusual amount of snow we had).
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    First of all, you offer up defensiveness rather than more information. You don't say which tires you got oem with your car. The cars come with at least 4 different brands that I have seen and heard. So if you are asking me to still read your mind, then it is much more than reading your orginal post again. So tell me why you think being assembled in Mexico is relevant to your DSG, but and how it affects (your) tires?

Next if you are asking about experiences about specific tires, I CLEARLY gave you two recommendations in my original post . If you don't like the tire in a H rating get it in a V rating. You obviously have other issues that have nothing to do with my responses.
  • Options
    if you have specific questions you want to know ask them. I can't read your mind and know what you need to know.

Not posting here to argue with you. Pointed out some errors in your post regarding things you said I posted when I could not find these.

Later, it is yours
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I already did. It seems youstill don't wish to offer anything else other than vague references and further defensiveness. I am fine with that. Your business is your business. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's above-average mileage. You must do a lot of highway driving. Mine is about a 50/50 mix, and the city driving just seems to kill the life of any tires. I'm sure I won't get the claimed 85,000 miles out of the P4s, but I'm not going to run them down to 2/32" just to be able to claim the warranty, either. They were priced well for such a highly rated tire, and I will have gotten my money's worth out of them even if they only last 40,000 miles.

My dad used to have a TDI Beetle (with Michelin Energy tires, 205/55/16, I think they were a 400 on the UTQG). Don't remember the exact mileage, but they lasted over 80,000 miles and still had a fair amount of tread on them when he replaced them with a new set of the same tire. 95% interstate mileage on that car probably explains the long life of the tires (and brakes). He sold it before the second set of tires wore out.

I have noticed the increased wear on the passenger side on tires that were directional and couldn't be cross-rotated, as well as non-directional tires where the tire shop doesn't cross-rotate.
  • Options
    The other interesting thing (P4 Four Seasons) are the manufacturers warranties are longer (85,000 miles) for the T rated tires vs the H rated tires (65,000 miles).
  • Options
    sfjettagirlsfjettagirl Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Jetta gls needs tires, among other things and I noticed that the rear tires are two different brands, but have great tread. The front tires are the same brand but are REALLY worn down and uneven. If I were to get just two new front tires, what brand and style should I buy? I live in San Francisco and never go to the snow, but there is often rain. The size of the tires are 195/60r/14.

I'm looking for inexpensive & safe. I will need new brakes soon as well as replacing window regulators... the joys of owning a 97 Jetta.

Much thanks

SF Jetta Girl
  • Options
    Look at tirerack.com, see what are highly rated but cheap. There are some Sumitomo and Kumho tire for under $70 each (plus shipping, etc.). I would avoid 'no-name' tires from a local tire store. I am a bit concerned about the different tires, because the shop will probably put them on the front, and I don't like different tires on the same axle. What brand and model are they? Are the both the same size?
  • Options
    gardylooogardylooo Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here and need some advice; sometimes salesmen are just not honest.

I need 4 new tires for my 2007 Honda Accord EX 4 door 6 cyl with 35K miles. The OEMs are Michelins. No snow in my area, but we do have hills, heavy traffic and 3 seasons of rain. I'm an average driver (no racing, but am usually in the fast lane on the freeway)

I've been shopping around a little, and the closest tire place near my home is a seller specializing in Goodyear, but he sells most brands. I told him I liked the Michelins I have on my car, but a softer ride would be nice.

He recommended something he called the Goodyear Cakewalk, said it has an 80K warranty. I went home and looked up the Goodyear site, there's no tire by that name. I'm wondering if he's talking about the Goodyear ComforTred Touring. He chatted me up in a used car salesman sort of way; but at least he didn't call me "honey".

When I left I mentioned looking at Costco, and he mumbled something about "doing whatever it takes" mumble mumble.

Costco was really busy, said they recommended the Michelin Primacy for my car. Their price seemed good, but they don't do alignment. I don't know if another tire store would do a good alignment if I bought my tires somewhere else.

Big O would sell me Michelins, but said they really recommend their "Big O" Brand.

Could I get some recommendations and tip from you folks? I'd sure appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    There is no such thing as a "Goodyear Cakewalk." Can you imagine anyone naming a product "Cakewalk?" :P Goodyear and Michelin both make top-quality tires. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

The first retailer sounds sleazy. Costco has a good reputation. You can get an alignment at Sears, the Honda dealer, or an independent shop. Big O also has a good reputation, at least in my area. If memory serves, their house brand tires are made by Cooper and I feel like they're overpriced for what they are.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I agree with Corvette. From all the options you describe, I'd go with Costco. As for the alignment, do you have any indication you need one? Are the tires wearing unevenly? Some folks get an alignment with new tires. I don't.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You don't need an alignment unless the old tires wore unevenly. I just put Primacy's o my 2007 Accord and like them very much. Go to Costco.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yeah but an alignment is cheap insurance on brand new tires.
  • Options
    True. Just saying what I do, has worked for me for the last 30 years. And if there's any hint of misalignment, I get it checked.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    edited July 2011
    I don't disagree with that but many do not have the same degree of expertise and that $50 alignment could save them in the long run.

Personally, I have mine aligned every three months as my wife likes to play bumper pool with sidewalks when she drives my truck. Costs me only a lunch as a friend of mine has a shop with a Hunter alignement machine.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    In my experience once I get a car aligned it always seems to need it after that. My Accord has 110,000 miles and has never been aligned (except by the factory of course). It seems to me the alignment shops can't do as good a job as the factory.

Now if the tires are wearing unevenly, then by all means get it aligned.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So I read a bunch of stuff and came up with a Continental ExtremeContact DWS in a 215/50R17 as a very strong choice. The problem is the tire doesn't actually exist. Apparently, its on national back-order for months in that size (and others). Why would a company have a supply chain or factory issue like that?
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    I've been running that tire for a year or more and it was cheap then, like closeout cheap. In fact besides being cheap I got a free TomTom GPS when I bought a set.

So my first guess is that it in fact has gone out of production and is being replaced by a new model. Looking at Continental's website, it's conspicuously absent: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/automobile/themes/ca- r-tires/car-tires.html

Oddly, there are no all-season tires at all.. only summer and winter. They do have a variety of 'performance winter' tires, but I still find this strange.

Anyway, I'd start researching a different tire.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm confused? How can a tire that doesn't exist be on national back order? I suspect it does exist and there is a supply problem. Tire Rack is really good at keeping up with tire obsoletions and tires won't be listed on their web site if they are.

BTW, I found all season tires on Conti's web site - the US version. Colin's link is for the German web site - and all season tires are pretty much a No-Go in Europe.
  • Options
    middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I am looking for new tires for a 2008 Toyota Yaris (185 60 15). I have studied the tire rack surveys and priced at various tire stores. I have looked at several major brands. The current Bridgestone OEM tires are wearing out at 34,000. The best tires for the price appear to be Yokohama Avid TRZ. Does anyone experience with these tires? Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2011
    Weird! Google sent me there to the German site and I didn't pay attention because it was, um, in English. :) So I guess this tire may not be extinct.

Edit: I think I solved this mystery. I own some Continental bicycle tires and have read their site a number of times. The bicycle tire site is only available for Germany. So that was the default site I was getting.